Just a few notes from the housekeeper

(Random) SONG OF THE DAY

김연우 (Kim Yeon Woo) – “청소 하는 날” (cleaning day) [ zShare download ]

In a nutshell:

• (More) web issues.
  • Updates on this site.
  • Possible future drama watching.

Edited to add: Media Temple rocks. Their support and hosting services are top-notch, and they’ve made my life ever so much less frustrating. In fact, if not for their level of helpful support, I’d have been sorely tempted to throw in the towel on numerous occasions. Never once have they made me feel stupid, although believe me I’ve felt it plenty of times.

Unfortunately, I’ve had to take Coffee Prince direct song links down. You can still download all the songs via batch links, but I said when the direct links killed my site I’d have to kill the links. Both died tonight, and the site is reviving without the links. I don’t know if someone linked to them somewhere but I got an incredibly sudden, drastic spike that completely disabled my server and I had to reconfigure some settings to get back online.

Web stuff blah:

(I should really just label all this stuff as How To Become an Accidental, Reluctant Systems Admin.)

Phew. I’ve learned, never say never. It’s probably a very good thing I didn’t know anything about web hosting until I actually did it, because if I’d known in advance all I’d need to know to run my own server, there’s probably no way I’d have been persuaded to do it. Nothing scares me more than having to configure settings on systems I’ve never heard about until about two seconds before I have to configure them.

The site has been running excruciatingly (or maybe just very; but it sure feels excruciating to me) slowly over the past few days, so I looked into what was going on, and bandwidth was one likely factor. The numbers probably mean nothing to you, but let’s just say that yesterday hit a new high at over 43GB of data transfer, which is fairly high (and especially for a mere blog). I considered taking down my media links (or a good chunk of them), but I’m stubborn and greedy and was determined to do what I could NOT to have to take em down.

It also looked like I was maxing out my max connections on apache, and we’ll just make a long story short of how I sweat bullets figuring out how to use Linux, access my root server, edit my config files connecting to SSH via putty, then reboot the server when I really didn’t have any idea what any of those things were. Or are. I’ve probably used all these terms wrongly, but that just goes to show how over my head this stuff is. Now that I’ve done it, of course, it seems simple, but when you’re wondering, “Uh, what exactly is apache again?,” those command lines are awfully hard to execute.

Now for words that make sense:

I had a Last.fm widget going in the sidebar for a bit, but that felt kind of vain so I took it down. If you care about the music listening habits of a stranger, here’s my Last.fm profile page.

Coffee Prince scripts posted through Episode 13.

If you’re not keeping track, Coffee Prince’s Unofficial Soundtrack is updated through Episode 14. The list isn’t entirely comprehensive, but I’ve done what I can to locate the most prominently used tracks. For instance, not all background tracks are identified every single time they’re played. That gets kind of tedious, and frankly I think including every little tiny thing actually detracts from the composition of the whole. (What I mean by that is, I’d rather locate the most significant song placements rather than get bogged down looking for every single measure of music ever used. But that’s just me.)

Upcoming dramas:

I don’t know which drama(s) I’m going to be watching next. I’m not that interested in what I’ve heard of the upcoming dramas (seems sageuk is coming back in full force?), so I may watch something that isn’t airing live. It will probably NOT include Time of Wolf and Dog (not my style), Karl/Oh Soo Jung (should’ve been a great concept, but man is the directing bland), or Bottom of the 9th with 2 Outs (I hear it’s all right, but getting past an admittedly slow beginning is a lot to ask of an impatient viewer). Golden Bride doesn’t appeal to me, and what little I’ve seen of Snow in August strikes me as overdramatic and shrill.

See, I may watch a lot of dramas, but I’m pretty picky. Either it’s gotta be good, awesomely bad, or easily entertaining (which includes subcategories cheesy, fluffy, and/or mockable).

On my list of possibilities are Taereung National Village (off to a pleasant start), or perhaps risque sex-themed cable comedy-drama Hyena. I may finally get to Thank You but at this point I feel like the excitement has passed, and it seems there were already plenty of invigorating discussions while it was still airing. Alone in Love is on my must-watch list and I fully expect to fall in love, but I haven’t been in the mood to start it. Similarly, cable drama Someday has always seemed interesting despite its mixed reviews, but I haven’t been in the mood to start. I’d love to catch quirky vampire sitcom Hello Francesca (whose director went on to Soulmate) but I haven’t found it readily available.

Since you probably have a decent idea as to my (weird) taste in dramas by now, got any suggestions? Anything in particular that I’ve just gotta see?

Tags:

this may sound biased but i'm so relieved you wont be blogging bottom of the 9th with 2 outs - i realized the actor from love story in harvard is on it and shuddered & winced. love story in harvard was an auditory nightmare. i only saw a few scenes, but i'm still horrified by the way they butchered and stuttered their way through the english language throughout the whole series - why oh why couldnt they spare us and just find some actors with better accents - i needed subtitles for the parts they spoke in english. plus bottom of the 9th has no stamina story wise to sustain CP fans.

sounds like everyone is going to have serious withdrawal symptons after Coffee Prince ends... all other Kdrama series currently pale in comparison.

but before i go on, compliments to you JavaBeans ... i am new to your blog but was very impressed with your exellent writing and analysis on each episode. i only started reading your blog becos i cudnt wait for the subs in English and was pleasantly surprised! keep up the good work... it is much appreciated.

yup, i have also started on the series Alone in Love and i think you will like "doing" this series. there's a lot to be said about each character and sadly as the title suggest ... all the characters are "loved" or "in love" but sadly remain ALONE... even the child character in the series! I leave you to watch it and write up a storm... regards CT

i havent see ROYOW too... i want to though. hehehe :) id watch along for sure. im watching White Tower I couldnt understand much though. pretty complex diagloues. No subs for it so I cant enjoy it as much as everyone else.

oh btw.. How to Meet A Perfect Neighbor is nice. Im enjoying it now. Try it out. Its fun. Although not as popular as the others. hehehe you should try that. i think ud like it.

i don't think sarah would ever take j-drama. right?...she said to herself "blogging my k-drama obsession"..lol..just joking..i'm a fan of j-drama, k-drama as long it suit my taste of drama, but since i know javabeans i feel like i don't have to watch the k-drama just by your writing (except CP)...you're good and i like how you explain everything (local culture, etc) like lily at jland, i've been there too when she's subbing hana yori dango.
well, i have to admitt that cp now is outstanding, i know how you feel for other drama or maybe they're no longer exist ...lol...
anyway, just do any drama you wish , we 'll just love it like always...kekeke...just can't wait goong's 2 (still yoon eun hye,right?) THIS you must DO...LOL...

Coffee prince is great ! I'm totally in love w Gong Yoo n Eun Hye !!! Enjoy yr blogs so insightful n touching. Appreciate yr great work...

thanx alot for everything.. I just wanted to ask you javabeans can you transelate the song of the day “painful words” I loved it so much but I don’t know what the words mean..
really thankful to you..

Roudy -- Hmm, ISTR you asked this a week or so ago on in another section. I don't think javabeans is too keen on translating song lyrics, though when she does do it the result is, as ever, superb (Two Hands...) Maybe she'll find time for this one, but meanwhile but if you want what claims to be a translation then take a look at
I don't think it's meant to be funny (the translation there, I mean). And I suppose it does give some idea of what the song is about. Better than Google, anyway. But in a different universe from the javabeans approach to translating.

P.S. In addition to Thank You and TNV, I'll also add a recommendation for 9 Ends 2 Out--it's no Coffee Prince, but it has its funny moments w/ some good music here and there. Plus, I can't help but swoon every time Lee Jung Jin gives Soo Ae one of those "long looks."

I just saw the preview for Hello Francesca--I'm hooked! I hope someone posts it!!! It seems like a nice, dark comedy. I'm guessing it's old news to everyone else (shrug).

hi there... first of all i think i should thank you for igniting my addiction on kdramas... harhar you see i was not really that into korean dramas until i saw my girl... then i started to be curious... of course i looked for her other dramas and i found your review of hello miss which got me to watch it entirely... then i saw all your archives of drama and i tried to watch those you noted were worth my time... actually you are my hold my guide list of which dramas i should get into and to watch out for... Second, thanks for the wonderful summaries of coffee prince and other past dramas which i really found helpful when my frustration of not being able to understand korean kicks in... it helps a lot really!!! finally thanks for your patience and hardwork you put into your blogsite(that was before you moved into this site) and for this page amidst the endless and sometimes irritating requests of your audience...

anyway, as i read this post i kinda felt sad because i felt the time of coffee prince is really numbered and i need to find a a fallback series so as to cushion myself from the depression of having yet another favorite drama of mine finish off... anyway, so i tried to watch for some of the other current projects of With S2( by the way thank you for the wonderful subs) and i just wanted to tell you that 9 end 2 outs is kind of interesting and funny so far since i just got to watch the first three episodes...

the story is something like... what if dal ja was really meant to end up with representative eom and not with kang tae bong... harhar weird but i really think the story is closely similar to dalja's spring (and that's just the main drawback of this series for me other than that it is quite good)... only, the girl is more likely to end up with the guy her age than the younger guy... harhar furthermore to put it more plainly the set up is basically dalja in the fullhouse situation... i think... harhar anyway please do give it a shot... id love to read your recaps + thoughts and isights about it...

well that's it thanks!!! god bless!!!

I did a lot to promote Soulmate at D-addicts, so if that's any indication of my taste...

First, I'd also recommend Capital Scandal. It's a good show. I've seen up to 8 episodes now. The storyline and everything are solid. I don't believe it's possible for this show to deflate or lose its momentum. I'm also watching Coffee Prince which is the reason I'm on my current drama binge. I'm also watching Hana Yori Dango 2 (jdorama). I wasn't a big fan of the first one - believing it was just ok in a cookie-cutter way. HYD2 is kind of going along the same groove but it's tolerable entertainment -- better than what I could say of the many Kdramas I might have started to watch but never finished.

That said, my absolute favorite drama at the moment is "9 End 2 Outs"! I have no idea why some on this page are saying it's "slow" -- it's anything but. It's the contrary of slow. Are you folks watching with subtitles or what? I'm truly impressed with this drama and everything about it. Though, I must qualify this praise with the fact that I've only seen 3 episodes so far. But I loved every episode. Loved it. Again, this is coming from a person whose favorite Kdrama is Soulmates.

Other good/fave kdramas from the past few years:

Sharp 2
Dae Jang Geum
Resurrection
Be Strong Geum Soon
Taerung National Village (fwiw, I praised this show much at d-addicts too! And I'm also a fan of Tearliner)
Alone In Love
Goodbye Solo

I'm looking forward to watching Yonsama's new drama.

Please make summaries for "9 end 2 outs"...I really love this dramas...In "9end 2outs" everything just goes naturally and yet still funny like Coffee Prince..(not as good of course :D though I'm not saying it's not good..it's just that CP is number 1 for me and maybe 9e2o is the runner-up :) ) It's taking the with s2 subbing group a long time to make subs for it..they are now done with ep. 1-3..but ep. 4-10 are still pending.. I'm so curious what will happen next with their relationship..please do give a try on watching it :D thanks ^_^

First time posting here :) LOVE your site

I was hooked on Coffee Prince and that is how I discovered your site. Thank you Javabeans! When I read the article you posted about Coffee Prince and Capital Scandal being from the same writer, I decided to watch Capital Scandal, then I got hooked on Capital Scandal! I definitely recommend Capital Scandal, I love it so much I still haven't watched the rest of Coffee Prince. But I love what you did with Coffee Prince and the music from the series. I don't think Capital Scandal would have as much music but everything about it was great. I am impatiently waiting for Capital Scandal episodes 14-16 to come out with english subtitles. Does anybody know when or if the episodes are out and on what site?

Hi Javabeans...
*sigh* what to watch next? Well since I have been actively searching for new dramas to watch as I wait for all the subbed episodes to come out...i can tell you what i'm digging right now. I tend to stay away from the heavy, dramatic, depressing stuff as it is the summer and it's too nice outside to be watching anything that would make me be be sad/angry/depressed..hahaha soooo my list is gonna be all stuff that is fun...albeit a little bit on the cheesy side.

Hana Kimi (J-drama) - I am currently addicted to this one. I love how it's short (12 epi's i think) and it's fast paced and definitely has a lot of waacky stuff going on. Mind you, I am only up to epi 7. Just for fun watching and maybe a post on this one but not a running commentary. I think you would enjoy this one as a filler drama until you find something that is worth blogging about. I personally enjoyed HYD 1 but not the second, i didn't even finish the 2nd.

9 innings n 2 outs - I actually enjoy this one, there are definitely some overdramatic scenes (involving crying) but it's enjoyable. It is a little bit draggy but i definitely think there is some chemistry between the leads.

Get Karl - I got the initial impression that the female lead was going to be annoying but i'm actually finding that this drama is so interesting and i have only sampled the first couple epi's. It will be interesting to see where the storyline goes..as for the ppl being disappointed..well i'm not, just yet.

And i know this one might be old...but i've heard it's good...Over the Rainbow...?? I've tried to watch Time of D&W, Alone in Love, and Golden Bride but it's just not my cup-of-tea. Maybe I have to be in the mood...Ooooh and one more...One Fine Day, which also has Gong Yoo in it was not bad.

Hi javabeans,
I don't know if you'd be willing to watch a drama that's 3 years old...but it's a worth a try to suggest it I guess. I'm Sorry I Love You is my most favorite drama of all time. I know you're more into comedies, as you said so in your 'About' section, but as I'm pretty sure we have similiar tastes, I have a feeling you'll like this one. I would also love to read your episode reviews of this kdrama, though I doubt you'll blog about it since it isn't currently airing. :D

Javabeans,
you know what, I read to the comments above,and thanks to the commenters, I took their recommendations,and...now I am watching Capital Scandal ( LOVE IT - the novelist is damn great-she's the same person who wrote Coffee Prince,right?-because CS is as good as CP,with different feel & setting. I wish I can read Korean, because I really want to read her "other" novels! ). After this, I'll be watching . : 9ends 2out, how to meet a perfect neighbor, Time of Dog & Wolves and of course : Romantic Hunter..
Thanks a bunch,guys!

hi javabeans~ maybe capital scandal would suit your viewing pleasure ^^
and alone in love and thank you is a must watch :]

Finally got a chance to drop by your last.fm. Nice! First time hearing Eric Hutchinson (yeah, i know, what rock have i been hiding under?) Sia always brings back good memories. Any West Coast favs?

hey dramabeans: great site! thanks for your eloquence. i wouldn't say i'm an addict of korean dramas (yet) but once in a blue moon i'll catch an episode of something and get totally fixated. currently i'm watching bottom of the ninth with two outs (bnto). are there any fans of bnto out there? lol! the appeal is purely subjective. i'm at the same age as the protagonists and while some of their musings and predicaments are very cliched they do in spirit resonate with me in a palpable way. like them i'm at a crossroads, i struggle to reconcile personal convictions with familial expectations, compare myself to peers and past lovers and drink my insecurities into mindless oblivion. etc. in truth all of these things are prefaced by a very real fear and consternation that most of my fellow 30 somethings can probably attest to. in my humble opinion it's almost a relief that bnto presents these scenarios within a comedic, lighthearted, albeit cheezy context because i think to have tackled them at face value might've been too heavy for the mainstream viewer (though i in my penchant for the dark and dramatic would've gladly indulged!). but yes i do find myself having to peel back the layers of the obvious plot lines for some depth and satisfaction. thankfully for me that's part of the fun of watching korean dramas. great posts everyone!