- Actor-cum-director Yoo Ji Tae‘s third directorial endeavor (and first theater release, more here), short film Out of My Intention, held its press conference on the 4th. Though it’s unusual for a short to get a theatrical run, Out of My Intention will open on the 20th and screen for a week at Seoul’s art-house cinema Sponge House.
- Former Jewelry singer turned actress Lee Ji Hyun has just released fresh self-cam photos online. Aw, is someone feeling left out now that the new Jewelry is in the spotlight for their latest album?
- Former HOT member and solo singer Kang Ta may be headed for military service on April 1, but he’ll be cramming in some last-minute singerly duties, releasing a new album and holding a concert on the 29th. It’s his first album in three years and first concert in five.
- Pop star Boa continues to rule Japan’s Oricon music charts. Her newly released album, “The Face,” shot to the top of album sales charts, making it the sixth time she’s occupied the #1 spot.
- Ballad singer Eru‘s father, famous trot (aka old-fogey pop) singer Tae Jin Ah, still wants his son to sing trot music. While Eru hasn’t yet succumbed to parental pressure, his second album featured a remake of one of his father’s songs, “Ok Kyung-ee,” in a fusiony ballad-jazzy-trot hybrid.
- Speaking of whom, Eru also confessed on an episode of Sang Sang Plus to being struck the first time he laid eyes on television announcer Choi Song Hyun (while watching her on a TV program). While guesting on a radio program (which put him through on a call to Choi), the writer handed him Choi’s phone number, which he “immediately programmed into [his] phone.” He describes himself as “simply a fan.”
- Misuda‘s (Global Talk Show, aka Chatting with Beauties) Uzbek panelist Jamilya (or Djamilya) Abdullaeva is one of those people constantly in the news these days that I find a waste of media attention. It’s nothing personal — who knows, she might be a super-sweet person — but it’s the weird cult of faux-celebrity surrounding Misuda that bugs me. In any case, she’s taking this springboard to fame and transitioning into pop singer. I suppose I could hold off on the cynicism, but really, do we have much to hope for from a girl who cites her own television show as her favorite, lists Hyori as her favorite Korean celeb, and debuts a single track titled “Oppa I Hate You”?
SONG OF THE DAY
Jamilya – “오빠 미워” (Oppa, I hate you). What an ear-screechingly horrible song. It’s like one of those pop-trance hits of the late ’90s, with none of the kitsch factor. If I clap my hands everybody, just clap my hands, will you stop? On the upside, her Korean’s pretty good. On the downside, her voice isn’t. [ zShare download ]
- Yoo Ji Tae’s directorial release
- News bites: February 25, 2008
- News bites: February 4, 2008
- Maybe not such a great idea