The Man Who Can’t Get Married script reading and press day

Ji Jin-hee, Kim So-eun

The Man Who Can’t Get Married [결혼 못하는 남자] is a new KBS series that will replace Story of a Man come June. You may already know that it is based on the popular Japanese drama Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (which means “man who can’t get married”), which aired in 2006

The drama held a script reading–cum–press conference on May 6 at the Yongpyong Selra Resort in Kyeonggi province, attended by its main stars Ji Jin-hee (of Spotlight; isn’t he looking adorable?), Uhm Jung-hwa (Insadong Scandal), and Kim So-eun (Boys Before Flowers).

Ji Jin-hee’s character is described as the type to say exactly what he’s thinking. But he’s not unlikable, because he has a warmth to his character despite it: “He’s good at his job and perfect in everything, but he’s not aware that he’s the outsider. He’s not interested in that. When asked, ‘Why don’t you marry?’ he isn’t stressed out by it at all. He’s the type to say, ‘Why would I ?’ I have to make sure to depict him so he’s not unlikable.”

Uhm Jung-hwa, meanwhile, plays an unmarried 40-year-old dentist. She harbors lingering pain from a failed first love, but she’s described as warm, kind, and competent. Uhm says, “We’re actually the same age, and I feel similarly to her in a lot of ways.” She isn’t like Uhm’s usual characters, however, in that she’s not a trendy or particularly fashionable type, and is more focused on her work.

Kim So-eun jumps from high schooler in Boys Before Flowers to playing older than her age as an office employee in her mid-twenties (Kim is 19) who is a close neighbor to Ji Jin-hee’s character and also comes into an acquaintance with Yoo Ah-in (Yoo Ah-in!) of Antique Bakery. Kim is currently on leave from school (she just started at university not long ago) to act in this project.

The Man Who Can’t Get Married also features Yang Jung-ah (Mom’s Dead Upset) and VJ Dan-ji (I Am Sam). It airs on Mondays and Tuesdays on KBS in June.

Via OSEN, Hankyung, Economy Today

Tags: , , , , , , ,

something to look forward to =)

Hope this comes out on mysoju or dramafever. Have enjoyed Ji Jin-Hee ever since watching Dae Jang Geum. Kim So-Eun was so good in BBF where she seemed to be the most adult of the group.

i can't help but think that uhm junghwa just looks creepily scary to me.

와! kim so eun is exactly a year and a day older than me. haha. she's sooo tiny.

Looks nice... =)

I've seen the Japanese version and I loved it. High hopes for this one!

Overload of cute romantic comedy dramas.... with everybody doing the "fighting!" pose... it is hard to resist.... when they are all so cute! But an overdose is an overdose, even if it is an overdose of cuteness ... need an antidote for terminal cuteness....

I think the proper antidote would be a super high value, super high risk, record breaking budget, big names, Lucas Arts ILM style science fiction korean drama about a rugged orphan bounty hunter (Hyun Bin) and his lazy and good for nothing sister (Nam Sang Mi) who by betrayal are captured by slavers and sold to a wealthy family on a distant planet that is similar to Korea in the Joseon period. Hyun Bin sacrifices his freedom for his sister's escape from the slave pens, but will the sister who can't tie her own shoes get captured a [Read more]

I liked the japanese version. Hope they do a good job with this just like BBF.

Jin Hee is a cutie. He should do well. His comedic role in Miss Kim was endearing.

So Eun looks a lot like the original actress in the japanese version. Cheerful and sweet.

Like kamee says though, Jung-hwa can be a little creepy, maybe it's the heavy make up. I'm sure they'll tone done the vamp factor in this one.

This looks hopeful.. I

I heard the Japanese version was so good. I think I'm going to just watch the Korean version first before the Japanese one to avoid some disappointment.

Gawd, I was so excited to hear Ji Jin Hee got casted in a new drama. He's looking really good too, much better than in Spotlight. I'm still confused tho, who is his leading lady? Is it going to be UJH or KSE. As I have not seen DO I have no idea which character is more prevalent.

the original with Abe Hiroshi was awesome! very lovable characters, the story is quite slow pace for kdramas so i hope they work this out^^

Uhm Jung-hwa is looking beautiful as always!

Ps: the leading lady is Uhm Jung-hwa, So eun is just the neighbor (but very important character too)

kim so eun is so pretty it's unfair

I haven't seen the original, but I heard it was good. Hopefully these guys can live up to original, but it'd be good if they managed to put their own little spin on things, right? We don't want it to be a direct copy, after all. ^^

I'm excited!!! I love her in BBF. I can't wait to see her in this one.

I watched Kekkon Dekinai Otoko when it was aired and it was really worth it. Abe Hiroshi is one my favorite Japanese actor and he was so into his role, that I have doubt I'll be satisfied by Ji Jin-hee but I'll gladly try to forget this initial prejudice.

On another note, Koreans have a tendency to romance things a bit too much. Apart from Lee Min Ho in Boys over Flowers, the Korean version just didn't live up to my expectations and I'm not even referring to the Japanese ver. Fact is, it just didn't respect the spirit of the original manga, there was just too much melodrama and I fear we're going to see the same problem in that one.

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko had close to no romance just little hints and the end was an opening for a true love relationship between the two main characters but n [Read more]

The most adorable thing in the Japanese version was the little pug dog. Wonder if they've cast that role, yet? hee, hee.

Although Ji Jin Hee complimented Abe Hiroshi for his comedic talents, Ji Jin Hee isn't bad himself. I remember him, as being pretty funny, in "Miss Kim's Million Dollars".

I'm looking forward to this drama.

so which dog is playing the dog? the dog was the highlight too!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. It was so hilarious in Abe Hiroshi's character's oddities.

THis is definitely on my watchlist only because I watched the original and loved it to bits. The three definitely have experience in acting...I hope they do justice to this though. I do wish ... that it will follow the original and not push the love angle so much, though with a "better" ending.

Off topic:

Just finished watching "My Dear Enemy". It's like listening to lounge jazz, slow but oh so cool.

ACK, I haven't watched that dorama yet. Should I do that before the kdrama airs? *ponders*

@Samsooki
You had me at "Lucas Arts ILM style science fiction korean drama"
I didn't know you were a scifi geek as well, OMG! FYI, I am one too.

Okay, completely superficial gut reaction here, but... HOORAY! Ji Jin Hee CAN recover from the ajusshi hair of Spotlight. Hopefully this new drama will help me forget that... whatever that was.

I tried watching the original Japanese drama, but for some reason, after about 5 episodes, I just couldn't find the characters or the storyline at all believable or likeable (I think it's just the language...). I tend to feel more warmth from Korean dramas, so I'm hopeful.

Dunno if anyone has mentioned this before but doesnt Kim So Eun look like a young Lee Dae Hee?

Frankly, I am surprised that Korea would even want to remake this...very...Japanese drama! It is light on romance and melodrama (as already explained by @La Plume) and high on existential philosophical love and relationship. I watched it recently so I am still processing it, but I just don't see it as a a K-drama. But that's the beauty of adaptations, I suppose: the morphing of a familiar tale into something new, yet familiar (for example, I adore "Clueless" -- with all apologies to Jane Austen). Also, I cannot see JJH doing justice to the central character as an eccentric oddball -- but then I also haven't seen much of JJH's work.

Should be interesting.

I wonder if Japan remakes a lot of Korean dramas. Maybe I am just noticing more Japanese to Korean (or Taiwanese, for that matter) [Read more]

@ivuson - when she was sitting down, I can see a bit :)

09 has been so far a good year for dramas, and I hope this one will turn out a success ^^

@16 Auntie Mame - Ahh, Ken-chan, that little dog was adorable beyond words. The dog was the next best thing to Abe Hiroshi's character.

Samsooki, I WILL SO WATCH YOUR MOVIE. I love it. effin awesome. Lucas be damned.

Oh interesting...I was surprised originally when I heard that they were remaking this into a Korean drama especially since the Jdrama was, as others have mentioned is very Japanese in humor and style. But I thoroughly enjoyed Kekkon Dekinai Otoko and Abe Hiroshi was great (probably one of his best roles).
I'll definitely check this out since I'm curious on how it well it will translate and especially to see whether they will do the ending differently since Kdramas tend to be more romantic.
@Nom Kitteh
The only one that comes to my mind at the moment though is Maou (a remake of The Devil). But you are right, there isn't a significant trend in that direction. However, how many Jdramas have been remade into Kdramas?

@ 7 Samsooki

Neat idea - can we look forward to producion, after you get the JACKPOT from Lotto. LOL

How about adding in an Alien Body Changer, could get two Hyun Bin's that way.

Interesting read as always.

haha ilove kim soeun shes so pretty (:
im looking foward to see this ! (:

"The strength of the original has the cast admittedly feeling the burden of living up to expectations, as lead actor Ji Jin-hee explains: “Because it was a very popular drama series in Japan, I feel a tremendous amount of pressure. The actor in the original [Abe Hiroshi] was good-looking and comical and acted so perfectly that it’s a burden to live up to. Fortunately, most Koreans haven’t seen it, which is some consolation. In the first part, we’ll be remaking some portions to show character things and there will be a lot of similarities [to the original].”"

Folks who have seen the Japanese drama seem to be psyched that the Korean version is in the works. But if it is really similar, then why do it at all (why not just let the drama sell in Korea with korean sub-titles)? A [Read more]

Samsooki, LOL! :P Have you been watching Firefly again recently? ;)

I'd definitely tune in to watching that one. But I'd replace Oh Ji Ho with someone more like Kim Min Joon....or [MY!] Kang Ji Hwan (would love to see him as a villain)...
Then, add Lee Bum Soo as the spaceship's mechanic and Ahn Sun Young as his pilot-wife, and we're in business. ;)

The japanese version was good and quite funny(in a japanese way..).There were some scenes that were boring ... but i was still able to hold on and watched the whole series.

I hope the Korean version will be funnier(in korean way!!!!)!!!

@29 hjkomo,

LOL. Hey, this ain't Firefly! There's no ship mechanic and his pilot-wife! My concept is guns blazing, epic love story, revenge drama series set mostly on the planet Joseon. (On the other hand, Firefly is episodic, with its bumbling crew basically going from mission to mission, and you don't really need to watch the previous episode.)

Kang Ji Hwan as a villain? Say it ain't so.... would break many hearts to see him as the evilest guy there is. Why would you do that?

But, back on topic.

@30, meiko**** ^-^,

How do you feel about watching a similar series (in which you probably already know what's going to happen, and when it will happen)?

Would you want the Korean version to be different plot-wise? So that there is some level of suspense?

Gahh I really need to finish the J-version but MUST. STUDY. Most likely I'll marathon the last 8 episodes this weekend.

Agreed with #12 etsy. Kim So Eun looks fantastic and I'm sure she'll do justice to the role. I'm so nervous about what they're going to do with the story, though. If they try to turn this charming comedy into a sappy romance I'm gonna......#&%*#&!! This is not Hana Yori Dango.

I'm with La Plume, Nom Kitten and others, though I like Ji Jin-hee (and almost all of the cast except Uhm), I have reservations on this, but still I would like to see a different twist just out of curiosity.
@ samsooki, so I'm one that loved the original dorama but I'm very on the fence with this. (tyty for my binnie dose today..)

The 'nippon-ness' of the dorama in its humor and sensibilities is almost impossible to reiterate and it was a major 'character' driving its success. Instead of the unbelievability experienced by Pomato, it actually grounded the characters and made them realistic in the context of a Japanese society and essential in a character driven doroma such as this one for me. Its humor is the exact opposite of slapstick. I didn't read the manga and I do not feel the u [Read more]

@ivuson,

"doesnt Kim So Eun look like a young Lee Dae Hee?"

@Nom Kitteh,

"I wonder if Japan remakes a lot of Korean dramas"

They remade My Sassy Girl, My Boss My Teacher, Mawang, Marathon, etc. Korean production companies remake Japanese pop products partially because the licensing fees are highly favorable compared to adapting their domestic stuff (kinda like what Hollywood does with, erm, Korean movies.) Having said that, I'd imagine the licensing rights to Hana Yori Dango cost a pretty penny. In that regard, I do think it's kind of a double standard. Asian properties are remade in Hollywood, and people cry bloody murder. When one Asian country remakes another's, it's acceptable because [Read more]

Like others have said, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko is just so very typical Japanese drama. It doesn't focus on the romance factor [as opposed to Korean dramas] and it doesn't need lots of drama. Instead, the special parts of the drama are focused more on inner reflections and profound "simple life" revelations.

In general, Korean and Japanese dramas tend to have very different focuses as to what they want to emphasize, so it's difficult to imagine what the Koreans are going to make. This is also the source of... er, worry.

BUT. I seriously seriously love Ji Jinhee since Dae Jang Geum. Like, seriously. So I will probably contemplate watching this. LOL. Kim Soeun looks like a little kid in that cast, though. But she's so cute!

Can I hope for a Kim So-eun and Yoo Ah-in pairing please? I can dream....

Iuupii, Yoo Ah-in!! Who else is excited? The series has an excellent cast - well, apart from Uhm Jung-hwa, but maybe that's just me... And the scriptwriter has an impressive resume... I hope this will be at the top spots of the must watch list... sigh... good or bad thing? the year looks promising *keeping fingers crossed

oh they are remaking it!
i love kekkon dekinai otoko... abe hiroshi is hilarious!
the dog, where is the dog?
is that the guy from jewel in the palace...?
he looks cute... and yay kim so eun! very pretty..
i am so looking forward to this

"The actor in the original [Abe Hiroshi] was good-looking and comical and acted so perfectly that it’s a burden to live up to. Fortunately, most Koreans haven’t seen it, which is some consolation."

It's interesting that the drama cast acknowledge the difficulty that will come with adapting Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. Yet did they not think that given this remake that ppl would not check out the JP ver. now?

Like #35 @A I too feel in love with Ji Jinhee in Dae Jang Geum! But sadly his post-DJG have failed (dismally) to impress - perhaps it was the character rather than JJH in DJG. But even with warm feelings towards JJH I struggle to see how he will play a role that Abe Hiroshi owned. Abe played his character with just the right balance - not too assholey yet you could not help but [Read more]

A dentist? Really? Why can't she be a doctor like the jdrama version? I can't picture him coming in to see her to check his teeth THAT often... haha. He'll be running out of teeth by the end of the drama.

I REALLY like the jdrama and I agree with Ji Jin-hee, he has a big shoe to fill. Abe Hiroshi was perfection in that drama. I hope he'll do well.

Oh yeah, the jdrama doesn't really focus on romance that much (which is why I wuuuv it), but since this is a kdrama, I'm guessing they're going to focus on it as much as they can.

Their most important task should be the casting of the perfect Ken-chan, lol.

i'm looking forward to this... though a little confusion.... who exactly is the REAL leading lady? the girl he ends up with?

@Samsooki - but there are still spaceships bringing in supplies and used for transport! It doesn't have to be episodic. Okay, fine. Lee Bum Soo and Ahn Sun Young can run the tavern where all the bounty hunters frequent and make their deals.

And Kang Ji Hwan wouldn't be the evilest guy! Once you find out he's a victim of circumstance, you start to empathize with him and root for his salvation. I'd like to see KJH expand his range even further (and since he's no longer in Triple, he needs to do a drama. Stat!)
Of course, I still wouldn't mind Kim Min Joon in this role, either. :D

Additional Characters:
-Seo Ji Hye as a timid waitress at the Wang-dda Saloon, who was Yoon Kye Sang's childhood sweetheart before her noble family was ruined in a political power struggle
-Kim Gab Soo as [Read more]

kekkon dekinai otoko is the last drama i'd expect to be remade. no matter how much i love ji jinhee, i just dont think he can give Abe Hiroshi's character the oddities, idiosyncracies Abe did... also, i think what made the dorama charming was the actors not the plot. so yeah, pretty big shoes to fill in for all actors involved here.

Ah, how could I have forgotten Uhm Tae Woong?! All right, if KJH's participation would cause too much of an uproar amongst his fans, then how about Uhm Tae Woong?

I liked the jdrama but since it was lacking in romance, I hope the kdrama fixes that problem :) I'm looking forward to giving this a go and that guy is cute.

I think this is gonna be one of those dramas that I'm gonna watch just because I like a certain actress and not care about anything else. Kim So Eun looks cuter than cuteness in those pictures and Uhm Jung Hwa looks mighty fine for her age. I haven't seen her with long hair since like forever. Anyone who doubts her acting should watch 'Princes Aurora'.

@belleza

"I think she kinda looks like Yuri from SNSD, or Park Min Young a few years back. "

She does look a bit Yuri and PMY sometimes but she's way cuter than both of them IMO. I have totally forgotten about PMY since I've seen KSE in Empress Cheon Chu - I'm so loyal aren't I? :D

@kobe,

"I have totally forgotten about PMY since I’ve seen KSE in Empress Cheon Chu - I’m so loyal aren’t I?"

Just as long as Vanessa doesn't find out . . .

"FWIW I actually think KSE looks more like Nam Sang Mi, especially when she smiles."

Hmm . . . I guess I don't see the resemblance. I keep thinking Nam Sang Mi is part Vietnamese or Thai.

"with PD Samsooki and co-scripted by belleza and Sarahbeans.

No problem! I'll be the one writing all of Binnie and Kang Ji Hwan's dialogue.

Kang Ji Hwan: Do you like my new light saber?
Binnie: I like your new light saber.
Kang Ji Hwan: Do you like my new light saber?
Binnie: Your light saber is bright.
Kang Ji Hwan: Bright?
Binnie: It glows.
Kang Ji Hwan. Glows?
Binnie: Like my Jedi dreams.
Kang JI Hwan: *raises eyebrow*

[Read more]

I have to repeat the Dal Ja quote from the end of (was it Episode 8?)...

"oh.. my.. gaoud."

The essence of Korean-style oon-myung drama is a cosmic loop of negative karmic forces which throw together people, over and over again.

It cannot be Kang Ji Hwan as the bad guy who the innocent and naive Nam Sang Mi may or may not be falling for, as she desperately falls further and further into obligation towards the bad guy who she thinks is a good guy. The evil bad guy, as Oh Ji Ho, is in fact, a bad guy korean-style. This means that he is evil not because he is a sadist or because he is a coward, but because he can only see himself and not others. Kang Ji Hwan the actor is too empathetic as a human being, and even if KJW does have the acting chops to play an evil guy, then it would [Read more]

>< uhm junghwa's face looks like it's melting... aughhh why can't people just age naturally!!! or you know, SUBTLY at least!! a few botox shots and facial peels, i can understand. but WHY WOULD you deliberately turn your face into a waxy monstrous thing?! that beauty standard truly distresses me...

@ 47 belleza
LMAO! The *raise eyebrow* killed me! There is nothing like a bit of homoerotic tension between two hot leads now is there?

@48 Samsooki aka PD Samsooki
No no we could not sabotage your 'Epic Revenge Drama In Space'! (nothing kills a drama more than a pissed off PD). But please see it as us trying to 'suggest' plot points - cause you know a little bit of romance has to be incl when HB and KJH are concerned. It would be criminal not to give them some love! (and hey if scriptwriter belleza has her way well... it could be groundbreaking for kdrama too!)

Look forward to your script!

Hmm javabeans - perhaps Open Thread Friday can have a sibling - 'Open "Awesome Samsooki Sci Fi Epic Planning/Script Writing" Thread'? : ) Probably zoom past 2000 posts easy!