Won Bin makes surprise visit to film set

It’s not unheard of for movie stars to visit other film sets in support of friends, but the unannounced arrival of Won Bin on the set of the new film Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle came as a surprise, particularly since Won Bin is known for lying low and not doing a making a lot of appearances.

Kimchi Battle is the sequel to the popular original film starring Kim Kang-woo (which was based on the same manhwa that was adapted into the drama Gourmet with Kim Rae-won). It stars Kim Jung-eun and Jin Gu, the latter with whom Won Bin acted in his recent film Mother. He’d also once shared the same management with another cast member, Wang Ji-hye, and had worked on the movie Taegukgi (which solidified his status as a top star) with Kimchi Battle‘s producer Lee Sung-hoon.

According to one source, the visit was completely unplanned and Won Bin came bearing snacks for the staff and greeted the director and actors individually. He is currently taking a break after finishing promotional activities for Mother, and is considering his next project.

Via Sports Seoul

Tags: , ,

stop visiting sets and make a drama already!

Let's face it -- he ran out of kimchi in his fridge and decided to pay a "visit" to the Kimchi battle set. (HAWT HAWT HAWT) freeloader. ;)

"is considering his next project."

Translation: Take Song Hye Kyo's phone calls to FINALLY do another bloody K-drama, preferably with herself in it. (Uhhh she could use your help . . . ) Hell, they should put her, Won Bin and Hyun Bin in a drama and call it BINNIE. I don't care what they do in it, so long as Binnie kisses Binnie.

Won Bin, why must you do things that makes me fall harder for you!
I almost lost him to Cha Seung Won..haha!

[email protected]

I missed Belleza's razor-sharp musings.

I'm not sure if Won Bin and Hyun Bin should get together romantically for any drama or movie. They have such different personalities of laid-back-ness.

I also wonder if Won Bin ever looks in the mirror and just says, "wow..." and then decides not to go out after all, because the view inside his house is better than the view outside...

Going off on a tangent, but Won Bin in Taegukgi is still my favorite performance from him. That whole ending battle scene between him and his brother, O-M-G. i dont think autumn tale made me cry half as much as those last 15 minutes did.

he's so sweet<3
i wanna see his new project!! *anxious*

It's almost too intimidating to post in the same thread as Belleza AND Samsooki! ;-)

Binnie and Binnie smoochfest? Sign me up please! And yeah, if I were Won Bin...floor to ceiling mirrors. In every single room of my house.

WB reminds me a bit of Yoon Kye-sang, in the way that he smiles with his whole face. Even his hair looks happy!

"but Won Bin in Taegukgi is still my favorite performance from him. "

It's what makes us so frustrated as Binnie fans. He's like the Greta Garbo of men. I want to be left alone . . . and enjoy looking at myself in the mirror. :D

"They have such different personalities of laid-back-ness."

You'd think so, but the drama Binnie would just write itself.

Won Bin: Do I look sad?
Hyun Bin: You look sad.
Won Bin: I look sad?
Hyun Bin: Your wounded eyes speak volumes to my soul.
*pause*

Hyun Bin: Long hair or short? What do you think?
Won Bin: Long.
Hyun Bin: But long hair is such a hassle.
Won Bin: Jang Don Gun told me he also likes your hair long. And you weren't bad in Friend.
Hyun Bin: Really? He said that?
Won Bin: You're like a untamed beast.
*pause*

W [Read more]

I love him but he needs to stop wearing the housewife cardigans.

LOLZ.

You know, Belleza, I was worried that Javabeans kidnapped you or something, when you didn't show up for a while.

JB swore she didn't have anything to do with your disappearance.

It is good to see you again, in the same manner as like it is good to see Won Bin smile, or it is good to hear Hyun Bin speak slowly and repeat himself. These are good things.

=)

omg, thanks for the laughs, belleza. i'm here at the office chuckling and no one else gets it!

Won Bin is so adorable! Really wish he would get back into kdramas - really one movie is not enough when he has been absent onscreen for what seems like a lifetime.

Re: Taegukgi
Taegukgi is one powerful movie. As much as I avoid watching war movies this was one I was really glad I saw. The story was moving and highlights the hard realities of war.
And aside from a lovely story there was the added bonus of Won Bin and Jang Dong Gun together. Perfect.

@ belleza
Welcome 'back'! Really have missed your comments!

"Won Bin: I hate Lee Min Ho.
Hyun Bin: HATE him..... Binnie, why can’t I do My Name is Kim Jan Di”
Won Bin: 2009 Jung Pyo is 2000 Won Bin. Is all I’m saying."

OMG! LMAO

"Won Bin: So, have you seen GI Joe yet?
Hyun Bin: Dude. Don’t go there.
Won Bin: Sorry [Read more]

"Who wouldn’t love to see 2 x Binnie + Lee Byung-Hun together! Oops forgot for a minute there the underlying tension…was only thinking of the triple threat visual hotness!"

LOL that writes itself too . . .

Stormshadow: And who are you? Has GI Joe come to save the day?
Won Bin: No. We are . . .
Hyun Bin: Team A.J.U.H.M.A.
Won Bin: Allied Justice United for Housewives, Moms, and Animals.
Hyun Bin: We are a secret organization to protect the welfare of all Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, Fillipino, Thailand, Hong Kong -- hmm, let's see did I miss any country that doesn't show Sam Soon -- and uhhh Earthling housewives from the tyranny of Cobra Command.
Won Bin: Whenever a mom can't make it to soccer practice, I am there. Whenever a husband forgets her wife's anni [Read more]

"It’s almost too intimidating to post in the same thread as Belleza AND Samsooki! " - so very true!!

What a joy to be in Javabean's wonderful site catching up on the K-drama latest, reading her witty and insightful views with the bonus feed from calibre posters such as B and S, plus many others :D

Curiously, while I've now seen dozens of K-dramas, I'm yet to see any of Won Bin's works. Really behind in this respect. The only tid bits are a few scenes of Taegukgi. It might have to do with my deliberate avoidance of sad movies. Bought the Autumn Tale DVD for years but it's at the bottom shelf gathering dust. (Has also a copy of the movie 'sad movie', sharing the same dust-gathering fate... Feel really sorry for those two DVDs.)

Should I start Autumn Tale for the sake o [Read more]

This guy needs to be a show off sometimes. I'm so dying to have a piece of his gorgeous piece of flesh, rawr!!!

hilarious!!!!! thanks belleza!
i like the part where Binnie complementing each other! bwahahaha! Sometimes I do wonder......*toinks*

@epyc
I have yet find a compilations of Won Bin's scenes only in AT. If I ever do, I'll share it with you instead watching the whole thing. LOL

@13 belleza
*when you complete your script could you kindly foward me a copy? Having to hide my giggles even in these 'installments' . Awesome! :) *

Hmm Realised that there is multimeanings to the underlying tension between LBH and Binnie. First was in reference to having previously dated/currently dating Song Hye Kyo. But come to think of it there could be tension between the current and ex BFs themselves..... LOL.

Question: Does Song Hye Kyo also kick The Baroness's arse for getting cozy with her ex (aka LBH aka Stormshadow with hair appointment) during promotions for GI Joe? (she would be doing all of us a favour....)
FYI Baroness - you are going to need to buy yourself some wigs to hide your baldness....hehehe

i have a question, i know that most people calls Hyun Bin as Binnie. Is it okay to call Won Bin as Bin-ah? heh eh eh.....

just wondering because that's what KSA's character called him when He guested at her old show Jump. Check out 4:15 of this clip.

I know Won Bin's real name is Kim Do Jin. Is Won Bin can be a girl's name? :P

epyc --

I love Autumn Tale almost without qualification. But, to enjoy it, you have to set aside that the drama is about love. It isn't about love. Or relationships. Or family. Or anything related to a realistic story.

Autumn Tale is a melodrama, but it's more like a tone poem where characters are more or less beautiful objects following motions of magic and eventual loss. About how brilliant and temporary things like youth, innocence, and life are in that season. It's about farmlands, shallow shores, Midwestern landscapes, all colours and smells supersentimental that don't really exist but from the past tense, the sad tense. It's all surface, big tears, and beautiful sadness, but I love it on those terms.

For people who followed Song Hye Kyo from her early years, Autumn Ta [Read more]

@belleza
That's an interesting way to look at Autumn Tale. I've been avoiding all the "Season" dramas because I've heard that they are too melodramatic/very typical (i.e. uses all the cliches in the book). Also, because I'm not really a fan of SHK. If there were any reasons why I would watch it, it would definitely be for Won Bin. Isn't this considered the best (and I use this word loosely) "Season" drama? Either way, maybe I'll give it try.

By the way, belleza, I agree with all the others. I've really missed your comments and insight on here. Welcome back !

@Taohua,

"Isn’t this considered the best (and I use this word loosely) “Season” drama?"

Autumn Tale is the consensus favorite. Being the first, it aims for less aesthetically, but it's also together in a way the other shows weren't. For me, it's a tossup between Winter Sonata (YONSAMA!!!) and Spring Waltz (which actually has a proper story.) I also consider The Snow Queen was done by the same PD and writing team as a 5th Seasonal Drama. Same team as Winter Sonata, same kind of visuals/music/pacing and emphasis on fairy tale tropes. Finally, you have MiSa. Visually and musically, MiSa also has elements similar to the Seasonal dramas. The genius of MiSa is that for about 60% of the story, it's really a satire with a (mostly) silent protagonist/observer. The latter device [Read more]

Won Bin should do a chef role..i'm willing to be his naked sushi..
He's playing hard to get..i know..

@ Belleza

“All 3 of these scenes happen in the first 4 episodes. So if you can’t stand the show after that, you can stop right there.” … which I did!

Im sorry to but in, (the whole comment wasn’t directed at me) but I just couldn’t help myself. Im not a huge fan of melodramas, especially if they end really sad, like Autumn Tale in this case, and Snow Queen (which I stopped watching after the first episode) Winter Sonata I stopped after both leads reunite, when they find out who he really is and all. Anyway...

What you are saying about the cinematography of the season dramas is very interesting. I really love when a scene speaks to you on its own, without music having to help you understand, or even dialog. I think detail is most important.
But I also love when music is just [Read more]

Ok... No need to explain anymore.
First I didn't understand the whole joke with:

“Won Bin: So, have you seen GI Joe yet?
Hyun Bin: Dude. Don’t go there.
Won Bin: Sorry sorry sorry . . . ”

... or anything else, to be honest. But after reading a little bit about Hyun Bin and his new love interest, i get it. Yeah... funny.

Now that I understand, I read it again. lol

"Is there rivalry between Hyun Bin, Won Bin, and Lee Byung Hun???"

Hyun Bin is Song Hye Kyo's current BF. LBH and Song Hye Kyo fell in love with the All In shoot. Rumors were that it was pretty serious (Byung Hun was her idol, and there was talk of marraige), but they broke up around the time she was shooting Full House and he his movie Everybody Has Secrets. I guess there were rumors about LBH and Choi Ji Woo at that time, but that may just be association.

"There would be no dialog or any other theme song but just background noise,"

Are you talking about this one?

One major divergence between Korean and Japanese trendies is that the former arranges music aroun [Read more]

Yeah, I did my own research and found out. But thanks for the clarification anyway.

I read that SHK said in an interview she would never fall for a pretty boy again in reference to her relationship with LBH. It was also mentioned how she still had feelings for him. I guess she is over him now since she is dating HB (good for her,) who by the way is also another pretty boy, so…

Aside from all that, I never really considered LBH as a pretty boy. Sexy? Yes; manly? Yes; hot? Yes, but never a pretty boy. In fact, I think the reason why I’m so infatuated with him is more because of his acting than anything else. I mean, the man can act…
“Addicted”
“A Bittersweet Life”
“Once in a Summer”
… he is so convincing all the time. My heart goes out to him.

I completely agree wit [Read more]

Oh! I forgot...

"One major divergence between Korean and Japanese trendies is that the former arranges music around the couples, whereas the latter arranges themes around characters."

I understand this because Brazilian dramas (which are extremely good ones too) arrange music around characters and at the same time couples. Example:
The main lead couple would have a song play every time there is romantic scenes or important ones, but at the same time the same theme song would be arrange for the lead character, often females.
Then each supporting character that is essentially important to the story would have their theme song. However, they don’t use music excessively. There would only be a certain type of music to depict mystery/tension, and one to depict a happy moment and so on. Even [Read more]

@ belleza

You did sell me - I will watch Autumn Tale for the sake of Won Bin and Moon Geun Young. And, you are right, the fact that he's not getting the girl makes it more compelling to watch!! (I am no fan of SHK which is another reason why I'm not so enthusiastic to start AT.) I have in fact finished the other three Season dramas. I actually quite like Winter Sonata, maybe because of the snow and maybe because of the orange hair of BYJ :D. Summer Scent is purely eye candy with SSH and SYJ. Spring Waltz is just plain bland to me. As for the '5th' season drama, I started Snow Queen in earnest but never finished it. There are quite a lot of praises in this blog about SYR's acting in that drama but , sorry, I still find her quite wooden.

But I shall shut one of my ears and [Read more]

haha i can imagine wonbin and jingu being friends.. (:

"Aside from all that, I never really considered LBH as a pretty boy. Sexy? Yes; manly? Yes; hot? Yes, but never a pretty boy"

His show "Happy Together" is a lot of fun, because it's SO opposite how we usually see LBH. He's a wimpy goof ball who doesn't get the girl. If you love it when LBH smiles that bashful smile, he pretty much does that through the entire show. It's not a great show, but it's frigging eerie how loaded Happy Together was with would-be stars. Plus, you have Chae Te Hyun and Jeon Ji Hyun basically doing a variation of their My Sassy Girl act before MSG was ever made.

"This i [Read more]

Thanks belleza on your wimsical sharing on everything..., no wonder you are so missed by all here :)

I like all your input on AT! Also the few scenes you mentioned... Wonbin dashing out of the store..., the ferry ride and the beach scene.... are still so vivid in my mind... you've picked the best scenes! Oh I also like the scene where the two adult "siblings" sitting back to back wiping the window ;p On the whole, I just love the whole concept of the Autumn theme/scene of the drama.

Aside from the uneasiness of the young siblings being touchy touchy sth like that plus at the end because of 'fate' that the "brother" has to die ridiculously, I thorougly enjoyed the show and OST.

Many might bash at AT but let's honor that to many many more AT is the very first Kdrama they have [Read more]

@ Belleza
“I liked LBH in BD, but honestly for me it feels like rehearsal for his next drama All In”

Actually LBH said in an interview that the character Min Chul was pretty much like the character he played in the movie "Once in a Summer" Which is sort of true… in a way, I don’t completely agree.

LBH’s character in “Once in a Summer” was arrogant, like Min Chul; selfish, also like Min Chul. However, Min Chul grows as a person and takes the opportunity to show it. I liked that he didn’t faltered when it actually mattered, he saw this as his way of compensating for all the stupid choices he had made in the past, whether he made them for the sake of others or not, they were stupid choices and kind of selfish too. Now, his character in “Once in a Summer” lost that [Read more]

I always forget something...

"Back in the 90s, LBH was considered handsome, but not really classically dreamy. The weird thing about LBH is that, the older he gets, the prettier he gets. Like Yonsama, he ages in reverse!!"

I agree with you 100% on this. However, I don’t like Yonsama physically. He is the typical dreamy/perfectly handsome/pretty face boy. Yeah, true. But I prefer a manlier look. His look in “Winter Sonata” really bothered me. In “April Snow” I thought he was extremely manly, I liked him there a lot.

I’m sorry if I don’t agree on other things. I really respect your thinking and I have enjoyed your funny dialogs. Keep it up; it’s a talent to make people laugh with smart remarks.

What a cute puppy!

@Laura,

I confess that I didn't like "Once in a Summer" that much. I enjoyed its "Harmomium of My moery"-style look at rural life, but I thought Lee Byung Hun wasn't great playing a young 20-something. I felt like he was overcompensating with the impish stuff to play young. The last 15 minutes of the film was good, and the performance when he sells her out was heartbreaking

I guess I don't see a lot of Min Chul in his "Once in a Summer" role. Beautiful Days is a good example of where a fairly standard character can be elevated by a great actor. On the page, Min Chul deeply resents his illegitimate brother, but that he doesn't throw him out outright. However, the way Lee Byung Hun plays him, you strongly, strongly sense that here's a man who everyday lives inside the consequence [Read more]

"Yonsama, the John Lennon of Hallyu, My Philosopher King, the Guru of Love!!"

Lmao

You are great! The fact that I’m not fond of an actor doesn’t mean I don’t see his merits. Yonsama has an air of distinction, very few can handle. He looked great in “Legend” and “April Snow” but “Winter Sonata”… that yellow hair… ugh.

I agree with you about Min Chul’s character and all you said about “Once in a Summer” Which is why I have to disagree in a way with LBH and what he said about both characters being similar. However, now that Im thinking hard about it, I can see where he makes the connection. I think he meant the very arrogant part, and the fact that both of them where under a delusion, to later on realize how things really are in life.
Like what you said about [Read more]

@31 Janie

I thought I was the only one doing that..... I love AAE but have never watched it in full because I can't stand the evil girl's part. AAE is one of my highest re-watched dramas squarely because of JDG and CR. Whenever I watch it, I just watch the scenes of those two together and then fast-forward everything else.

@ LBH in Beautiful Days

I guess Beautiful Days would not be the same if Min Chul is played by another actor. It is a classic case of how a great actor could change the fate and status of a show. I know RSW was supposed to get the girl in the original plan but LBH's popularity changed everything. The subsequent change of script in the latter 1/3 - on Min Chul's redemption - elevated the drama to another level.

The great thing about LBH is his versati [Read more]

Thanks for the report Javabeans. I look forward to the news of Won Bin confirming his next project. And good luck to Ji Goo and Le Grand Chef 2.

@epyc,

"I know RSW was supposed to get the girl in the original plan but LBH’s popularity changed everything"

Yeah, that's the thing. Even though on paper, it would make sense to do a reunion between RSW and CJW (i.e. Truth), as soon as you cast LBH as Min Chul, there's just no way it was going to happen. LBH was already top-tier draw in the K-drama world (Happy Together debuted with a rating just under 40 -- though the times were different) who was one of SBS's main guys to carry their event blockbuster dramas. Even though Ryu Si Won was popular at the time, he (like Bae Yong Joon) was still kinda in his post-idol phase of his career.

In fact, Beautiful Days and Hotelier ran in the same time slot and competed brutally against each other. (Ironic that the two shows would l [Read more]

"All those bitter, bittersweet smiling-through-tears bits in Once in a Summer Trailer is practically softcore porn for melodrama junkies like me!"

LMAO

@ epyc

"The great thing about LBH is his versatility. He is not the usual pretty boy (but he is undeniably handsome) and everytime when seeing his new work you just can’t help wondering how the same face could give a different feel and deliver the role so successfully. He is no doubt one of the very best actors of his generation."

This is exactly what I always say about LBH whenever someone is talking about his acting, his work... etc. I mean, you have to watch - at least – “All In” and then” A Bittersweet Life”, you know, so you can make an almost fair comparison in terms of what the character is (a gangster picked up from the streets by the big boss and then takes revenge, etc.) Or maybe, watch BD and then two of his movies and you would have to agree with the fact that he [Read more]