Queen Seon-deok ends with Episode 62

Two dramas wrapped up today, paving the way for several new entries in the new year. On MBC, its long-running ratings monster Queen Seon-deok posted up a very respectable 35.7% with its finale, but while its number would be huge by any other standards, with Seon-deok it was met with mixed reaction. After having shot up to the mid-40s, they were hoping to be the first drama to break 50% in a long while, and didn’t achieve it.

On SBS (an hour prior), the revenge drama Angel’s Temptation ended with a 20.5%. Although the first half of its run had hovered in the 10% range, once Bae Soo-bin came on the scene to put his own revenge in motion, ratings shot up. (Meanwhile, KBS’s Invincible Lee Pyeong-gang is still ongoing, and drew in a 6.1%.)

[SPOILERS – highlight to read] Seon-deok‘s finale pitted Deok-man and Bi-dam against each other as he believed the trust to be broken between them and entered into their last battle. She maintained her trust in him through the end, and Bi-dam was brought before her and killed, uttering his last words, “Deok-man…” In Angel’s Temptation, Lee So-yeon’s revenge scheme ended as she and her enemy Kyung-hee, who was responsible for killing her father, both committed suicide. Ultimately, neither could be happy and brought about their own tragic ends.
[END SPOILERS]

Lee Yo-won said after the finale had aired, “It still doesn’t feel like it’s really over. As the title role, there were many things I was lacking, and I could feel that. However, I learned a lot.” After filming for 11 months and enduring a lot of difficulties, she said, “If I get offers to return to sageuk dramas, I’d like to do one really far off into the future.” About the ending, she said, “It was different that what I thought it would be. I thought it would end on a political note, but it became about Bi-dam’s love. It’s true that a lot of people must have felt envious over Bi-dam’s popularity. Kim Nam-gil is a lot like the character, so it was a lot of fun filming with him.”

The trendy drama Pasta will take over Seon-deok‘s timeslot come January. Pick the Stars replaces Angel’s Temptation at 9pm, and will be followed at 10pm by Jejoongwon.

Via My Daily, Star News

Tags: , ,

I haven't watched this drama yet but have heard a lot of good buzz about it. I love YI SAN. Could someone compare the two dramas? Which one is the better one? I really love Lee Seo Jin's acting in YI SAN.

I stopped watching pretty much after Mi-shil left the series.

I enjoyed watching Yi San more because the romance storyline was consistent from beginning to end and integrated into the political intrigues, while QSD was confusing to follow.

There were more than one possible romance storylines with QSD's and her road to political power and conflict with MI-shil pretty much took up the bulk of the show.

i loosely followed this drama until recently i picked it up again because of the love line developing btwn BD and DM. The ending kinda sucked though. ugh....but Kim Namgil..where did this man come from? he's amazing!!

I was so sad when this ended which was today!!!Nam gil and Ji won fighting!!!!!

yo won...

I still can't believe the drama ended! QSD was such an amazing drama! It was one of the best saeguks I've seen, with lots of depth to it. I can't really rant that much, because it would probably spoil it for a lot of people that still haven't watched it yet...All I can say is that there's so much emotion in the last few episodes!

I'm so proud of all the actors/actresses!

@twister-
Personally, I think QSD was A LOT better than YS! QSD kept me on the edge of my seat the whole ride. I haven't watched a saeguk where the actors/actresses (especially Kim Nam Gil and Go Hyun Jung!!) portrayed their roles so well in a long time! At first, LYW was a bit rocky with her role, but it all smoothed out. I really, really recommend this drama, twister! But as a heads up, there's so much to the drama, [Read more]

man i remember watching this drama from summer time!
what a long drama!

QSD is a great drama.Though the drama lacks a few things after mishil died, it started to heat up deokman and bidam develop a relationship-especially deokman showing some caring for bidam. Even though they couldn't end up together, I'm glad that the director give Bidam and deokman a chance for their romance. Bidam is my favorite character in this drama and love him. I'm so sad that the drama ended! Can't believe i've been watching this for seven/eight months.

@dramagrl17

Many thanks for your input. I will watch this drama during my holiday break then. I always love historic dramas due to the gorgeous costumes and also historic story lines. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year wherever you are!

after QSD ends, i hope to be seeing more Kim Nam Gil on the screen...
also Lee Seung Hyo, i'm gonna miss seeing him As Alcheon...

QSD was def. my favorite drama of the year. I agree with dramagrl17. I was on the edge of my seat everytime an episode ended. I think a lot of people were hoping for more romance but I found the lack of romance surprisingly refreshing. I actually didn't mind so much that there wasn't any 'mushy' stuff on here (though I probably wouldn't complain if there were =D) I'm actually a DM/BD supporter but I'm glad the drama found a way to incorporate the relationships into the political aspect of the plot.

Mishil was the bomb when she was on here but I also respected Lee Yo Won's acting. I remember crying whenever her character would cry. The plot, the unforgettable characters (except maybe for YuShin lol) made this drama so unforgettable for me. I'm glad I stuck it out to the end.

and @10 [Read more]

Spoiler**

I found it a bit sad how Queen Seon-deok ended. Bi Dam is a pitiful character :/

I wonder if the cast of QSD is slightly disappointed about the finale's ratings, the expectation was quite high!

This is what most actors who do sageuks say after wrapping up a successful sageuk drama. I read that the filming for this kind of drama is really brutal on both cast and crew so I have high regard for actors who sign up for this ind of drama. Congratulations to the cast and crew of QSD for a successful run.

Kim Nam Gil was wonderfull in this drama. Thaks for all casts of QSD

I have just started watching this drama 2 wks ago and enjoying it a lot, am currently at the earlier episode where Deok- man finds out that her 'friend' is actually the Princess.

BUT one point keeps bugging me and its that everyone, Yu-shin, the other soldiers , the Princess does not know at this point that Deok-man is female? Deok-man acts like a tomboy but she obviously knows she 's a girl but her fellow soldiers who has trained, sleeps, eat with her does not realise that she's a girl? While i really enjoy this drama, i keep thinking 'You know she's a girl, right?" everytime the soldiers /Yu-shin interracts with Deok-man.

Also what is the difference between a Nangdo and a Hwarang? The subtitle for this drama doesnt explain things fully so got me a bit confused with the terms they [Read more]

QSD was the first historical/saeguk drama that I actually finished. I tried Yi San and Dae Jang Geum but I couldn't really get into it. I'll admit that after Mishil left the drama seemed to be lacking. But I am so glad that DM and BD were able to have their romantic moments. . .although I wished there was so much more interaction. I wasn't happy with the ending though. It was really sad although I loved the part about DM's dream and the mysterious lady who hugs her adolescent self.

i also stopped watching this after mishil died but i just caught the last two episodes and all i can say is WOW...it was so tragic, better than a shakespeare play.

bidam and deokman are such tragic figures and their intensity left me breathless. this has got to be one of the most emotional endings i've seen in a while.

i am now a huge fan of kim nam gil.

I see This Belleza hasn't dropped by on this thread yet to leave spoilers. Well, I hanjanman, am still busy marathoning IRIS and has yet to see the final episode of QSD. So please, everyone, avoid leaving SPOILERS!!!

I can't believe I read the spoiler even though I KNEW it would ruin it for me! Oh well, I knew one of them was going to die... QSD was the first sageuk I watched since Damo which was a few years ago... I just loved every aspect of QSD- all the characters were perfectly cast and it was like a who's who of veteran k-drama actors~ I almost never enjoy the children stories but I think this was the first I truly liked watching too.
Now... Kim Nam Gil... He is the reason I failed my finals!!! How is it that this was the first time I found out about him??? And LYW seems to have really improved from her Daemang days (which is when I first saw her). All in all, the first sageuk (or drama even) I have really enjoyed in a loooong time... Besides YB that is! :)

QSD is the reason why i never get enough sleep. I'm always up waiting for the enlish sub to be out and by that time it's midnight already. Loved Bidam......

Alas, Bidam.....

I hope Kim Nam Gil wins every freaking award available to him (knowing that second leads rarely get the awards, but geez, popularity or something - throw the boy a bone....) I'm going to miss my Hwarang hotties. Sniff. Bidam, Alcheon, Wolya. All the lovely boys. sniff.

I have to say that after Mishil went the way of all things, it took them a few episodes to recover...ok, more like 5. But it ramped back up and went out well.

I'm a saguek fan, and this was a pretty good one on the whole. It did seem to veer from where it originally intended to go when it became apparent that Mishil and Bidam were the shining stars in this thing, but it was a fun ride. Not one I'm going to rewatch any time soon (unlike EoTS which I've seen 3 times at this point) - except I [Read more]

well..yes.. Kim Nam-gil is my favorite actor in this drama..
when he was in difficult situation, he still stayed cool..
even his smile kills me everytime I see it !! :lovestruck:

I like his genius brain, his cool face, his amazing acting, and well..I like everything of Bidam!!!

huh.. but now it has been ended..
but I feel sure, Nam Gil will play in other series becoz of his amazing acting and his good-looking... :D :D :D
Merry Christmas n Happy New Year to everyone.. :D :D :D

and thanks to the air crew, QSD team, subbers, segmenters, watchers (include me), and the actors/actresses, especially Nam-gil who always comes to my sweet dreams everynight.. aza-aza

wow the last 5 mins was really incredible...and nostalgic. My breakdown of this drama really come down to three time slots. The first is from ep 1-30ish episodes were by far the most amazing time I've had with any korean drama. From 30ish to 49 is great but not as magical as the first time line. With the exception of ep 50 that was really powerful. From 51-61 on it was such a dragged. The whole Yushin Vs. Bidam thing had no spice and content as compare to the Deokman Vs. Mishil fight. Relationships between Yushi, Bidam, Deokman, and the nobles were so manipulative and twisted. Their reasons for conflict were really weak and unjust. It feels dragged because the characters were running on artificial exaggerated strife. The worse part is they must add the cheesy close up shots to ru [Read more]

Queen Seonduk is my favorite drama of the year. Personally, I think the ending was very fulfilling although it wasn't necessarily happy. For Angel's Temptation, I was rooting for Joo Ah Ran the whole time so I cried so much when she died. I'm so glad she forgave her parents' murderer.

When Kim Nam-gil entered the show he was one character, the sneaky crazy guy.
Then he became the foolish thrill seeking hero.
Then he was the quiet contemplative guy from the outside looking in on what life is for others.
Then he became the lying, clever, manipulative student.
After that he was the power hungry, plotting stalker.
Then greatest sword master, great warrior and war leader, clever administrator, political plotter, the romantic, the lover, they frightened boy, the protective partner, and on.
I do not think I have ever seen in a single drama where an actor portrayed so many facets to their character before, and made me love and believe every one of them.
I hope he has many more works ahead of him because I think he is a truly great, unbelievably talented actor.

This Belleza cried through the entire 2nd half of Episode 62. In mourning, This Belleza officially removed "This" and is now back to sad, incoherent Belleza.

POOR BIDAM!!!! :(

(I'd say this though. Bidam's death march was glorious. It's like they crossed Damo with Gladiator!!!)

actually the only reason i dislike watching this drama is YUSHIN..i dislike that actor..he isn't good at all... yushin looks like a weak guy but we know that he's a great hwarang!
i don't know about the history of it but my friend told me how great he was but when i found out that actor..i felt so disappointed...
sorry guys if u are a fan of him..

but i have a lotta reasons for watching and loving that drama..so this *only* one reason won't stop me to watch it....

thanks for the spoiler....^___^v

Queen Seon Duk is kinda the East of Eden of this year, in that of all the major sageuks in recent memory, THIS one was massively redone in order to please the audience. If you think about Bidam's motivations and the "misunderstanding", it doesn't hold up very well. There's a good reason why -- the love story between Deokman and Bidam was never supposed to happen.

The story was going to end with a showdown between Yushin and Bidam. That also never happened. The last episode was to begin Chunchu's reign. Unfortunately, Chunchu was so disliked by the end of the show that they skipped Chunchu and went straight to the fall of Paekche.

Due to the Army of Bidam Lovers (aka 80% of the post-Mishil audience), the writers didn't want to make Evil Bidam. Instead of a political power game -- [Read more]

I was interested in the first few episodes then ... I was puzzled. Later I gave up.

Why was Mishil's character shown in such prominence? The Mishil's character overcast the whole drama. The title of the drama should have been -
Mishil's Roadmap to The Throne.

Now, what Im displeased is the plot not the ACTRESS!

Go Hyun Jung is superb in her role.

Poor Lee Yo Won ....

The main actress is not up for the job IMO in a sea of excellent actors, but what really annoyed me was the latter change of direction to focus more on the love story instead of a balance of both.

She was the first queen of Korea, she was amongst the first to realise the dream of reunite the kingdoms, yet at the end, her noteworth as a leader of great nations was a the fact she died a lonely woman, betrayed by a loved one with a tragic love that lead no where.

It some how belittled her accomplishment politically and historically. All her sacrifise ended up no where.

Queen Seon-Deok became the Bi Dam Show including the his incredibly heroic WuXia death scene. Being40 i guess he still fly like a young man. I bawled like the scene was designed, but in the end it felt a little emp [Read more]

I deliberately didn`t want to see any spoilers at all to get the great impact...I am one of the Army of Bidam Lovers, i watch this drama just to see him...Kim Nam Gil does the brilliant and beautiful played as Bidam~poor creature..~I for one who love the episodes after Mishil departure. And the ending is so freakingly tragic and beautiful ending...Hail to Bidam!!! Long live Kim Nam Gil!!! T_T Saranghae...

I know, where does this guy come from??!! So i want to watch his other works before this, begin with Portrait of a Beauty (since it`s a historical movie...as close as I can get to Bidam`s image...sigh...T_T ).

I agree with everything that Angelica and Belleza (btw you seem to take "This" business to the heart lol ) said. Although i love the idea of Deokman loving Bidam back, but i also [Read more]

and thank you to SBS for putting two dramas on Mon-Tues nites. I hope KBS and MBC take note.

Upon reflection I agree with a previous poster who said it feels a little bit like East of Eden syndrome. What started up as a potential great historical drama about a female ruler against the traditional conservative Confucious ruled society governed entirely by men - ended up being a lesson about little girl shouldn't dream big or it won’t end well, overall it ended up somewhat subversively chauvinist and hypocritical.

What ever accomplishment the queen had, or what ever sacrifise she made was diminished by the fact she died lonely and depressed and full of regrets. As if that is the most important thing in the world. Had she be a man – a King, the ending would be preposterous.

On a side note, the final scene of the old Alcheon actually makes me think he had been in love wit [Read more]

@twister
I personally giveYS gold. Every cast played their character so well you'd forget they're acting. Every scene was captivating, the love story is touching. BUT QSD HAS MORE GOOD LOOKING ACTORS.

QSD is about Deokman/ Qeen Seon Deok not evil MIshil. Lee Yeo won had more transitions of performance. She had to act like a male living with men training as a soldier (if that's the right term) or hwarang? She was in training & at war. We see her go through emotions that changes her & her determination & perseverance to achieve her goal to be the king/queen. LYW's PERFORMANCE HAD MORE TRANSITIONS & VARIATIONS in comparison to Go HJ as MIshil.

I didn't think I'd shed a tear but I could not help crying. The build up was good. The music background, Bidam's facial expression & [Read more]

Who can tell me about the ending of QSD tv series? Is QSD going to get married with Biddam?

let's stop the LYW & GHJ discussion. i personally think the real fault behind the wishy-washy characters was the writers. every actor/actress in QSD did their very best to protray their parts. the writers wasted too many episodes for filler stories and when the MAIN plot of Yushin vs. Bidam (and QSD's politics) came up, they opted for a BD and DM love story to please the audience. even though i kind of like the love story, i just felt the last 12 episodes were so rushed. i wanted to see more of her achievements and acts when DM was queen. i agree with TouristX that the 'moral lesson' of QSD was being a female ruler equals loneliness and regrets. mostly every sageuk about a male ruler ended on a positive note... with them obtaining their kingdom and loved one.

btw, i also agree that Alcheon was in love with Deokman. notice the way AC looks at DM between episodes 52-62. it just screams love. he may not be in love with her while DM was princess, but his feelings probably grew during her reign. ah, the possibilities of more stories during the time skip in episode 52. -_- darn the writers for not thinking up of more ways to strengthen the DM's reign years. a good sageuk ruined due to live-shoots.

Bit of spoiler here so don't pay much attention if you are planning on watching the drama :P

I watched the ending of QSD. I was really frustrated towards the end because it turned into Bi Dam's love story. I liked the character since it was first introduced, and Kim Nam Gil did an awesome job, but I just couldn't find myself pitying him. Sure he never had the love he wanted, but other than Mishil whom abondoned him the rest was all his doing. Munno had hopes for him and he destroyed them with his actions, even if he was a little kid he should have known better, and in the end he couldn't trust the Queen which was all he had to have done...plus I couldn't quite see how all of a sudden she was madly in love with him when all this time she was in love with Yushin. It was too sudden, but [Read more]

The ending was.. okay.

It was sad when Bi Dam died, but I didn't cry. [That might be because I didn't see their love and everything open throughout the drama because I didnt watch from the very beginning.] But it didn't hit me as hard as it should've, and the fighting was kind of painful to see x] like when Bi Dam started fighting with the higher members.. and really- Uhm Tae Woong? I never really saw him as particularly cool. In fact, he feels more clumsy and out of place to me.

and I was pissed when they made QSD just die like that. Really? Towards the end of this drama, I just saw her as weak, and it all became a love-ridden story. It was annoying- I mean, I was glad to see more of Bi Dam and DM, but too much lovish thingamabobbers.

But I really did love QSD. :) Everyone said [Read more]

Still waiting for the last 2 episode subs to finally see the ending. This is my favorite saeguk for this year. It has all the political intrigues and unpredictable storyline combined with awesome acting. My favorite character has got to be Bidam because his role is so unique and Kim Nam Gil did an amazing job portraying his "eccentricity".

Like what others have said, you need to watch each episode chronologically to understand the drama better. I also love guessing what's going to happen next and see if I can be as smart as Mishil or Deokman for their next plans to outwit each other. I was able to guess correctly 70% of the time ... haha makes the show more interesting to watch.

Off topic: Hmm, Jumong didn't really end in a positive note since Seosono had to leave.

After Dae Jang Geum, i'm still waiting a korean's drama like that. How pretty happy i am when i knew one of tv station will show QSD series. In the beginning, i confused with the stories,maybe because the change of an actor n actres, and i don't see the series full. But after all, i'm fallin in luv with this. Wow it's a great tv series. But i'm not satisfied about the final. How pity of DM n especially BD! I hope that they'll be together but in the end i've got big sadness. Salute for HBJ. She makes Mishil character so great. I want to see another film of LSK

i love the drama and the characters specially BIDAM... he's a great actor.. the ending was so tearful but i love it,.. <3<3<3

hmmm,,,,ooooo

i hope i know.....this end film../

cozzz,,,i like this film.....

n,,,,i love kim chun chu.....

han sarang....

The story is really good, eventhough bidam QSD love team is just pushed through they able to make up with a dramatic ending. But to no offense i don't like the Lee Yo-won acting it lacks power in it. She acts like a statue to me. At times I couldn't tell if she was mad or sad, in love or just happy. Her facial expression is almost the same you could only say she's sad when there are tears :

i just finished queen seon deok today using my dvd series... huhuh... i'm still crying... i hate myself for watching the end part.. the last 10 minutes were so painful. i thought i'm not going to cry. I cried hard when Yushin stroke Bidam... I cried and shouted Bidam's name... WHY!!!! sobbing... BIDAM... i also cried when Queen Seon Deok passed away.. .The background music is very irritating, it made me cried... I love Bidam and Deokman... Even I cried a lot I still love the ending... I even gave a round of applause at the end... I hope i can find another korean drama that can match this kind of story... Queen Seon Deok is my antidote to the sadness i got from Yi Nok and Hong Gil Dong... I didn't know that my new favorite will die also.... sobbbing.... i hope they will have a grandslam win [Read more]

my favorite character is Bidam...

at first, i thought he is an extra character.. He will just lead Deokman in finding for Munno.. But eventually, he had his own story... I love his acting skill.. OH IT KILLS ME, REMEMBERING HIS CROOKED SMILES, HIS CARING FACE FOR DEOKMAN AND HIS CRYING DEATH... "10 Steps more." OH MY GOD!!! Applause for Kim Nam Gil....

Just saw the ending. Now what am I going to watch? Thank you SBS for Queen Seon Deok. I have never truly seen a saeguk because they were so often male-driven which hardly appealed to me, understandably since saeguks are usually driven by male viewers.

But what a daring accomplishment, three strong women (Seondeok, Chunmyoung, Misil) ruling in the men's world, the glorious characters, beautiful sets and the dazzling Silla Dynasty background. For once hardly any damsel-in-distress scenes! (Dang Boryang!)

SPOILERS BELOW:

I very much respect that reminiscent of Queen Elizabeth I, Seondeok's story in this drama ended as her own woman rather than belonging with some man. It was wonderful to have the story come full circle with the two Deokmans facing each other.

I would have liked to [Read more]

I've never seen the most tragic love story until Sohwa and Chilsuk.. :(:(:( I cried so much.

hi really love queen seon deok....its inspiraional drama series.....i love you lee yo-won...gogogogogo......

hi helooooooooooooooooo'

i just finish the QSD and i really love it so amazing it's amaze m belive it. i love yushin role hes cool and loyal his sencerity was the one touch my heart he deserve a little respect.