Dramabeans Podcast #1

New toy! I’ve been wanting to try a podcast for ages, but lacked the technical wherewithal (and time) to fiddle around with it till now. But I’ve brushed up my techie skills and persuaded girlfriday to join me in this venture, and together we took a stab at our very first Dramabeans podcast.

I apologize in advance for moments when I get too close to the mic — I don’t think it’s TOO bad, or at least I hope it’s not, but I will definitely keep this in mind if/when we try the next one. Also, if you’ve got questions or suggestions for future editions, please feel free to leave them in the comments.

You can listen through the player below, or if you’d like to put it on your mp3 players or take it elsewhere, you can download the sucker: [ Part 1 ] and [ Part 2 ]

We hope you enjoy what we have to say!

Part 1: Wherein javabeans and girlfriday discuss old-school dramas, Feeling, Lee Jung-jae, recapping, cliches and tropes, the dreaded wrist-grab, women and repressed sexuality, Pasta, The Woman Who Still Wants to Marry, Kim Bum, Boys Before Flowers, relationships, and Personal Taste:

(Note: It may take a moment to load. You can adjust volume up and down with the bars on the left of the audio player.)

Part 2: Wherein javabeans and girlfriday discuss Personal Taste and Cinderella’s Sister (through Episode 12, although with very few if any spoilers for later episodes), and Sandglass very briefly:

Songs Used in Podcast (In order of use)

“Insomnia” by Humming Urban Stereo
“질투” (Jealousy) from the Jealousy OST
“Cranes” from the Sandglass OST
“느낌” (Feeling) from the Feeling OST
“너의 뒤에서” (Behind You) by Park Jin-young from the Feeling OST
“아마그건” from the Feeling OST
“Lucky Day” by Every Single Day from the Pasta OST
“Beautiful Girl” by Byul from The Woman Who Still Wants To Marry OST
“The Woman Who Cut My Guitar String” by Kim Bum from The Woman Who Still Wants To Marry OST
“꽃다운 서른넷” (Flower-like 34) from The Woman Who Still Wants To Marry OST
“야릇한 느낌” (Peculiar feeling) from the Personal Taste OST
“오늘의 날씨” (Today’s weather) by Lovely from The Woman Who Still Wants To Marry OST
“말도 안돼” (It can’t be) by Younha from the Personal Taste OST
“Flight of the Bumblebee” by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov from the Personal Taste OST
“Summer People” by Sub from the Triple OST
“Paradise” by T-Max from the Boys Before Flowers OST
“너 아니면 안돼” (It has to be you) by Yesung from the Cinderella’s Sister OST
“뒷동산” (Back hill) from the Cinderella’s Sister OST
“Smile Again” by Lee Yoon-jong from the Cinderella’s Sister OST
“Main Title” from the Sandglass OST
“그대라는 날개” (Wings like you) by Kim Tae-woo from the Personal Taste OST

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

@ JohnC:

I don't find Kimchi or Korean food to be spicy at all. I don't know what variety of chili pepper is used by Koreans, but I have found even the kinchi labeled "Hot" to be quite mellow. I think Koreans use a chili that is more like Hungarian pepper -- a lot of color but little kick. I tried many kinds of kimchi, and none have seemed spicy. Maybe the vinegar cuts out the spice? Who knows.

Indian food can get super spicy, because of the kind of chili used. The variety of chilis Indians commonly use is similar to the Thai Chili, which is blazing hot. The "mild" variety of Indian curry served in restaurants in the US have no chili in them at all -- just a combination of various spices.

This is a fun idea! It felt like I met you girls in person to hear you.
I listened to the pod casts while working, and it was nice, with all the music cues and you giggles. Although I like the concept, I don't think I would prefer this to a written recap. Anyway, Bravo on your first pod cast!

Loved the podcast!

Um...some random questions (if not, stupid) questions:
(1) Is there an age-limit to the word "oppa"? Like, I don't think I've seen older women calling other men "oppa" unless he's really her brother, so is there like a cut-off to when women stop using that word?

(2) Is it true that people in Korea are very tolerant of spicy foods and alcohol? From what I've seen a lot of Korean dishes are quite spicy (or at least they look spicy). So it just makes me wonder...maybe everyone's just very tolerant of / loves spicy food.
And about the alcohol, is it just a drama stereotype, like "I am sad so I DRINK" or is alcohol a very common everyday (okay maybe not everyday but like, an all-occasion) beverage in Korea?

And I am also very interested in hearing more about what's considered realistic and unrealistic in Korean dramas compared to actual Korean culture and lifestyle.

So yeah...it was an awesome podcast from the two of you and I'm looking forward to the next one!

I love the Q&A idea!

I don't think people are asking questions because they probably missed the suggestion (it happens when there are 200+ comments hehe)

Thanks nom_kitteh for the kimchi explanation. Can't wait to try it.

@Eleven11 on page 2:

Fellow Kiwi,

Reviewing the comments on podcast and saw your comment on my posting. Yes, been addicted to k-drama, and some j- and t-dramas since I watched MNIKSS.

Would be nice if they can broadcast select k-dramas even very late at night. i've seen some korean movies shown in the recent months. shall we start a petition to tv one? :)

I'm a podcast addict, so I just about died when I saw you and girlfriday had done one. I thought it was really interesting, educating, and fun. I'd love more podcasts if you guys ever find the time/interest to do more.

As for suggestions ... the main criticisms of kdramas that I've heard center around formulaic plot and characters so I wonder if you guys could tackle that by discussing the different types of female leads common in kdramas and the subversions of those types. Or to make it broader, you could instead discuss the foursome stereotypes ( for instance: innocent lead girl, brooding lead guy, jealous second girl, adorable second guy) and the dramas that use them or subvert them.

I prefer recaps. You two sounded like valley girls using big words. Disappointed.

it says file is not found - can't listen to your podcast

you guys should do this more often!!! Its really fun hearing you guys rant about the dramas...and i really can relate some of the stuff you say ...especially on the kim bum part^__^

please oh please do this more often!!!

More Power to both of you!!!^__^

so the voice behind the writing at last. really cool. just needs the face behind all of these. honestly, i imagined your voices are so different from when i read your recaps. i even think java's voice matches girlfriday's writing, and vice versa. ^^

lol. this is my first time listening to any podcast.. i'm listening to the one about cs and pt, and gee, it''s soo true. pt could have been coffee prince level, but there were too many obstacles for the drama to overcome. i'm enjoying these podcasts, very well done :)

i love your podcasts...
about the food.... it was so true about Kdrama making me wanting me the foods like ddukbokki and jjangmyoun. i really wanted to try them and end up in korean restaurant here in jakarta. but yes, they don't sell those kind of things.

about the wrist grab, i got that part Mean and Romantic. hahaha.

and i think you should make a podcast specially about one drama.. it would be so interesting and maybe u will argue with each other.that would be so interestingg, :)

Love your insightful discussion about dramas. Looking forward to the next one! (...?)

Thanks for everything!!!!!!!!!!!!! When will you girls plan to go for the next podcast???? Love ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt sssssssssssooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Wow, you guys sound really different from what I imagined. Wow, total shock! but it's good :)

love the music you used.

Nice podcast btw. :)

That was so fun!

I loved this! You guys are awesome. I hope you make another set of podcasts soon! I'll be listening, for sure. :)

just started listening to the podcasts but i just wanna say that i so love the veronica mars references! i love that show

i get so much what you guys say and keep up the good work!

i love baby [email protected]

Currently Airing

Prime-Time Shows This Week
Monday-Tuesday (April 6-7) Wednesday-Thursday (April 8-9) Weekend (April 10-12)