Happy dance time!
Kim Rae-won is making his first post-army project the drama Thousand Day Promise, the new title of the drama formerly called Forget Me Not, which shows good taste: It’s the series by famed writer Kim Soo-hyun (Life Is Beautiful, Mom’s Dead Upset, My Man’s Woman) and starring Su Ae. She plays a woman who’s slowly losing her memory, which makes me think this’ll be like a younger version of The Notebook.
I love this casting, and I LOVE KIM RAE-WON. He’s one of those actors who, if you haven’t seen him in anything, may elicit a mere shrug and a careless, “I don’t know, he seems all right, I guess.” And then you watch him onscreen, in motion, with emotion, and he just fills the screen with his warmth and presence. He just seems so real when he’s acting, completely genuine and natural in the roles. He has a tendency, therefore, to elevate whatever he’s in. (His dramas include 2008′s Gourmet, his last series before military service, and 2006′s What Planet Are You From? He’s also had a number of movie roles, like Insadong Scandal, My Little Bride, Sunflower, and …ing.)
Aside from loving Kim Rae-won, I’m much gladder with his casting than the rumored Song Seung-heon. While Song’s last role in My Princess went a long way toward endearing him to me, I don’t think he would’ve been on par with Su Ae, while I think Kim Rae-won will be a fantastic partner for her.
Ahh, Thousand Day Promise just became a must-watch drama for me, melodrama premise notwithstanding. It premieres on SBS on September 26.
- Su Ae cast in Kim Soo-hyun’s Forget Me Not
- The ending scene to My Love Patzzi: Is this love or am I dreaming?
- Rebuttal #2: A case against My Love Patzzi and the delusions of Samsooki’s Jang Nara obsession
- Rebuttal #1: If heroine alienates core bread-n-butter audience, drama is a dud, even if a few misguided males beg to differ
- Why I like Jang Nara and My Love Patzzi: A Defense against the Tyranny of dahee fanel and javabeans, and Why Square Holes Are Problematic
- Goodbye, Kim Rae-won
- Gourmet: Episodes 1-4 (SBS)