King’s Dream postpones broadcasts in wake of accidents

Looks like the accidents were serious after all, because KBS’s weekend sageuk drama King’s Dream has announced that it will be taking two weeks off the air. Leading actress Park Joo-mi, playing the role of Queen Seon-deok, is still not well enough from her car crash, sustained on October 23; she’s been instructed by her doctors to continue her rest. And considering that she’s got a rather important role, the drama isn’t able to work around her absence and needs to take time off.

KBS’s head of drama programming assured that Park Joo-mi would not be leaving the drama permanently, to put potential speculation to rest. She plans to return to the set at the end of the month.

That means the drama will not air from November 10 through 18, and in its place KBS will be showing various specials. This weekend, the timeslot will broadcast two documentaries; it’s not yet decided what will pinch-hit for next weekend’s episodes.

It’s not the solution the production was likely hoping for, but aside from waiting for miraculous recoveries it’s probably for the best. We’ve had so many instances where accidents and injuries are brushed aside in the name of making the live-shoot; while it takes a pretty serious circumstance to force a rest, at least in this case they’ll be taking one. I know, I know, that silver lining is pretty thin. But better thin than absent.

Via Yonhap News

Tags: , ,

Seems like a reasonable compromise to me: People keep their jobs, the actors and staff can rest and the drama will go on.

I'm so glad they decided to take a hiatus. The actors need to take care of themselves, and I'm glad to see the production team has realized that as well. Fighting!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Park Joo-mi and good luck for the rest of actors and staffs.

I already spoke my mind on the live-shoot system in the previous article that reported the accidents so I won't repeat myself. I still have same feeling about their production system and their money grubbing fat cats that runs the shows.

It must be life threatening injuries for them to postpone it.Poor cast.It wasn't only her right?

Both of the leads had accidents. The male lead had a car accident in late september and then got a torn ligament in his right shoulder due to falling off a horse around the same time she had her car accident. With both leads injured it makes sense for the drama to take a break.

some should learn from this incident. I hope she gets well soon!!

It must be really serious if they're postponing broadcasts considering the-show-must-go-on-despite-serious-injury-and-fainting-spells attitude in kdrama production. Wishing the best for Park Joo-mi!

she looks beautiful in the dress but i just have a question, why is it the traditional Hanbok dress flattens the breast (chest) instead of lifting it up? As if they are hiding the woman's breast and make her look like a balloon or preggy. It looks beautiful though but I just want to know is there any particular function for that purpose. Thanks!

I'd like to 'love' your comment

I have the same idea when it comes to the official court dress that men wore during the Joseon period, in particular the belt-type accessory which makes all the men, even the young fit athletic ones look like they are pregnant.

@ Anya and Bashful82: I seriously LOL'd so hard at your comments because it's the same thoughts I had.

Hanbok have the concept that one should look roughly like an upward pointing triangle. (major point at the top two points at the bottom) This is because the original Hindu symbol of an upward pointing triangle roughly means "Heaven". This was brought into Buddhism (Since Hinduism and Buddhism have similar roots) and by the time of the drama. Sunny Yang's Hanbok book also says that the upper class women had more petticoats to emphasize this fact. So an equilateral triangle, apparently was more desirable, which also happens to fit the original Hindu symbol. (So if you were a commoner, you'd literally be seeing the lords/yangban as "Heaven" by the clothes they wear--that's got to have psychological value.)

In order to achieve that, the breasts are made to look flat, which also goes with th [Read more]

wow, you know so much. Thanks, it was interesting to read, for I also had the same question :)

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

isn't she the actress in gentleman's dignity who was jang's ex g/f & mother of his child? i hope she pulls through though i only saw her in that drama!

YUP SHE IS. CAN'T BELIEVE SHE'S 40 YEARS OLD ALREADY