Open Thread #278

Seo In-gook – “너 땜에 못살아” (Can’t live because of you) [ Download ]

Happy Friday fellow beaners! Hope you had great week!

What you girls (and guys) watching this week? I am in need to watch something good... Bad drama go to shell...

This week i marathon Keizoku 2: Spec, but i can't find the movie (with eng sub of course). I love me some (okay aLOt) Sebumi and Toma, but peoples keep saying the movie is bad that's way no sub anywhere, there's even no raw.... but you know, once you addict to something, it's just hard to resist them... right?

for KDrama, I abuse some scene in Ten, and that got me my first wathing Ten but also my 2nd, my 3rd and so on...
and yeah, I know i am late... season 2 on the horizon yet i just started the first... oh yeah... i can't find good sub for 2 final episode...
and that's not savoring for waiting for season 2....

Hi Fairycutter, a nice weekend to you!
Actually, I am not watching anything much. Just sticking to Rascal Sons and My Love Madame Butterfly. Just cannot find any interest for other airing dramas nor much free time for kdrama archeology :)

Weeks ago i'm temped to watch MLMB, but somehow just can't bring my self into it.. any tempting might work.... ;)

The main character is really great. The plot and other characters tend to be uneven, so you can FF them, but Nam Na Bi totally rocks!

I'll give it a try then...

thanks Lord there is FF button to abuse...

I wish Yeom Jung Ah hadn't messed with her nose. If people didn't know any better, they would have thought she was a crack addict!

i'M just watching my first lakhorn "Game Rai Game Ruk". I adore all the tropical island scenes and crazy cast of Min Islanders plus it starts with like 5 hours of sweet innocent falling in love between the main couple. Few dramas linger that long just letting you spend time enjoying the romance. Of course, that's so when they throw the complications at the couple you can have the endurance and joy of wanting them together.

The heroine had me in episode one when she asks why can't men and women shower together? And with the love set on a tropical island, you just know there will be wet people with their shirts off ... forgive me, but I do like my vicarious thrills.

I just Google-d “Game Rai Game Ruk”. It seem interesting, where did you watch it? if the engsub are good, 'll add it to watch list...

I watched that lakhorn before. The latter part of the lakhorn is very dark but I really enjoyed it.

Hey - I am watching 100 hundred year inheritance ... But (here begins the rant) ... It is neither funny nor romantic. So where the heck did they decided to describe it as a romantic comedy!?!? So far it's all sad looks and frustrating inaction by Eugene. And I like Eugene and it's the only reason I started watching! I said it was about a divorced woman who narrowly escapes her evil mother-in-law and runs the family noodle shop. Unless this show is 100 episodes long, we are nowhere close to that. And even more frustrating, the guy who will be the main lead just looks so bad!! He looks tired and old and what's with the haircut? Sigh ... Disappointing all the way around. Rom-com ..... Please!

Hearing Eugene is back, i'm eager to watch 100 hundred year inheritance but then i visited Mystisith site, then suddenly I got phobia watching 'not so good' drama just for the sake my fav actor...

I have to agree, I tried it, but it's a melodrama. Why is it listed as a Romantic Comedy?

After 10 eps, the romance is still to be seen (at least for the main couple) but the baddies are ridiculously funny. It's so farcical... Melo which can make me laugh and giggle is a winner in my book.

I would love to see the evil MIL and the awful oldest SIL in a cage match!

Still get a terrible stomach thinking about the 15 minutes of that awful woman that I watched. Still have that awful voice in my head. Still can't bring myself to try it again.

I am with you there - up to ep10 (and still no divorce?), and 40 more to go. Not sure I can take it. The interaction with the main actress and others is pretty good, but there is a lot of boring and/or silly sub-plots that I fast forward through.

I agree! I am not sure why I'm sticking with it. And your assessment of the main actor is right on. His hair is awful and he looks considerably older than he did in 9 Ins 2 Outs. I don't even think his acting is good here. And Eugene's hasn't done much for me either. If things don't pick up soon, it will be another dropped show for me

Happy Friday Fairycutter.

I like Spec as well I actually watched the whole series, both seasons, the special, and the movie on dramacrazy. I believe they're still there. I didn't check the links to see if they were active but I know that it's up.

As for Kdramas, I just finished watching Me too Flower last night. Like some drama tend to do, it kinda veered of course during the last few episodes but the ending was satisfactory. I'm thinking about rewatching city hunter if I can't find something that I feel like watching.

I'm waiting for flower boy next door to finish so I can marathon it. Patience, willpower, I can do it. lol

Watching two J dramas both are quite mellow, Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou and Itsuka Hi No Ataru Basho De.

I'm watching oldies as well, but since I'm new with Jdorama, they're currently my new crack. I watched love shuffle, now watching nobuta wo produce, and ALL of Hana Yori Dango series (finally...a boys over flowers that doesn't cause me to scream WTH? WTH????!!) in the end.

I haven't watch HYD, I know blasphemy, but I've heard really good things about it. Love Nobuta, the phrase "bicycle, bi, bi, bicycle" just flashed in my mind. Enjoyed Love Shuffle too.

Jdramas just have a completely different vibe to them. I love them just as much as Kdramas but in a different way. it's like they're my children lol.

Days ago, i visited dramacrazy, but i cant watch the movie...

I also waited patiently to marathon FBND... 'Patience, willpower, I can do it. lol' We can do it!!

MTF, watch only the Kiss (hide in embarrassment)....
someday, i will watch it, for sure... for first half before doom and gloom....

Me too, i love me some Jdorama right now.

To All Fellow Cingus,
this is emergency notice asking for a favor of sharing information...

Where can i watch or and download Jdorama Boss season 1 start from episode 3?

Pretty please... help me...

I grabbed my torrents off of d-addicts. Not sure if they're still being seeded or not...

thanks, off to D-addicts!

Right now I have almost no "must see" dramas on my radar, except "Queen of Ambition".

Casually watching (that means I fast-forward a lot, for one thing) "Love me or Leave me", "100 Year Inheritance", "Substitute Princess".

Been digging into Japanese and Chinese drama/movies a bit more, but some are hard to find, though a surprising number of them are on YouTube - "One Litre of Tears" and "Windstruck" - older but good ones.

Happy Friday, Chingus!

I’ve about had it with these multiple influenza strains that are making their evil rounds. Everybody I know has the one or the other and once one is gone, the other comes. I am glad the semester or generally the more stressful time of the year hasn’t started yet so that I can take care of the husband, the kid, and when there’s time, left, myself.

I demand world peace! And world health!

I am not watching any of the new shows yet (Ad Genius, Incarnation of Money, or L7CS). Not sure why, but all three do not intrigue me much (yet) from what I’m reading and hearing. Instead, I am watching an old one: Time Between Dog and Wolf. It’s been on my list for ages. So glad I’m finally getting around to it! It is a bit slow at times (especially some of the family interactions), but beautifully shot overall. There are a lot of close-ups and carefully lit scenes. Lee Jun-ki is fabulous. I hope he is doing another drama soon!!

Hi Kakashi!
I hope you and your loved ones fight the nasty flu and stay healthy and happy :)

Time between Dog and Wolf was one of my first dramas. I enjoyed myself a lot admiring LJK. And I still keep Giraffe in fond memory.

haha, so funny that you mention Giraffee. I heard his name mentioned in the show for the first time yesterday (or at least I noticed it for the first time) and thought how great a name that was!

An apt name. I saw it written as Gi Ra Peu and couldn't figure whether it was his real name or just a kind of transliteration :)

'world peace! And world health!'

Amen to that!

Hope the cycle stops soon kakashi!

yes. cause it's EEEEVIL! >:(

:(. It is

I'm also not watching a lot of the currently airing stuff except Incarnation of Money which I found interesting from the plot itself.

I'm also planning on watching Time Between Dog and Wolf mostly because after Arang and the Magistrate, I wanted more of Lee Jun Ki. However, the reviews were very discouraging of his previous shows like Iljimae and TBDW. After much hesitation, I watched Iljimae and surprisingly I liked it. I mean, I noticed the numerous flaws that were present in it (in terms of acting, directing, and writing) but I guess with all the negativity surrounding it on the site, I managed to lower my expectations significantly that I managed to enjoy it, lol. Surprisingly, the show actually got better as it went on and it had a lot of heart. I think if anyone is thinking of watching it, they should think of it as more slice of life style (because the larger plot plodded along very slowly).

On the other hand, Return of Iljimae is not capturing my interest well enough...which is weird because it's said to be much better quality-wise. I guess it's just love for Lee Jun Ki that can blind me a little, lol.

I LOVED Iljimae. I thought it was really good! I loved teh character development and was really surprised when I read that lots of people disliked it. Kind of not wanting to bother with Return of Iljimae.

Yeah. everyone just has different tastes.

Oh, but this show caused me for the first time to have a case of second lead syndrome where I wanted Yong to be paired with Bong Soon...she was so cute and more interesting than his actual love interest.

Hi! Funny that you mentioned that. Bong sun was my first second lead syndrome in a drama. I had my first taken by an anime. hahaha! I remember back when I used to be a member of crunchyroll before it became crappy that I actively posted on the Iljimae thread to fight for Bong-suns right to be with Iljimae. I couldn't help it since the supposed to be main lead was so lackluster and anemic.

My favorite scene between Bong-sun and Iljimae was when she forced a kiss on him. I thought she was the first modern woman in the saeguk era. There were a lot of beautiful and heart warming scenes between the two of them that I couldn't stop rooting for them. She was just so alive there (thanks to Lee Young Ah!). And I thought the writers favored her too since in the end, Iljimae didn't end up with the supposed main heroine and somehow it was left to be vaguely understood that Bong-sun stayed/went with Iljimae.

Ahhhh!!! Unik, don't spoil the end for me!! lol

I still have the last two episodes to finish watching....but now that you say that Bong Soon stayed with Iljimae, I will also keep that interpretation....it will make super happy, that's for sure!

I also loved that scene too and I had the same exact thoughts. I was like, you go girl! :P But then I was sad when Yong went to that noble girl directly afterward and kissed her. I was all, "Nooooo, Yong! You can't do this to Bong Soon!!" Hehehe.

My most favorite scene between the two, however, was in Iljimae's little lair/hideout when he made her that cute present of various paintings of them. I actually thought Iljimae was finally seeing Bong Soon's charms and falling for her. But alas, it wasn't so.

Lee Young Ah is also a very good actress. She certainly makes her characters alive. I noticed her and liked her first in Vampire Prosecutor. She really makes these adorable expressions of exasperation. :P

Sorry didn't mean to put out some "spoiler". I thought you were done with it! :) Yes, I was a Bong-su activist then and now. I used to have heated rebuttals with the "other lady's" supporters but it was fun. Yong was warming up to her quite well by the last few episodes especially since there weren't really many scenes between that noble and Yong. The whole time, I was wishing the adopted brother would elope with that lady just so she will be out of my hair.

I wonder why there is no reply button under your post.

Count me in as another one on Team Bong-soon, she was 100xbetter than the insipid love interest. I liked Iljimae, it was far from perfect but some characters/performances were really good - I LOVED his relationship with his adoptive father.

Also it's funny to think of it now, but Iljimae was the first ever drama I saw Yeo Jin-gu in, and that too paired with Kim Yoo-jung as the child versions of their characters - just like they were in Moon/Sun, except they're cuter in Moon/Sun.

@ unik: Don't worry! It was my fault for not saying that I didn't finish the drama. Also, at some point the reply button doesn't appear; not sure why though.

@ pogo: I also loved the foster father and Yong's interactions. He is so kind-hearted. I mean, there's not a lot of people who can take care of others' children and not be all loving like he is. So it was heartbreaking when he died.

I also liked Iljimae a lot! And, hehe, same for Return of Iljimae. I know many people who just couldn't watch it - so I got to accept that I am not weird ^^

Since you also liked Iljimae, I will also take your word for Time Between Dog and Wolf and get started on it too. No more hesitating! :)

kakashi -

I want to watch TBD&W myself after hearing you rave about it.

And I preferred Iljimae to Return of Iljimae, in spite of the boytoys in both... :-)

Happy OT Friday, Cats and Beanie Kittens! Hah, I'm up on time for a change! First off, warm hugs going out to you guys on the US East Coast who are gearing up for SNOWMAGEDDEON or whatever they're calling this next round of crappy weather. (And here I've been complaining since my knees have given out because it's raining in NorCal. Sorry.) Hang in there!!!

So more news is trickling out on the "The Days" musical that will be JCW's next project, and it's a doozy! The poster shoot was held earlier today to announce the full cast, and no other than Yoo Joon Sang (recently seen in "My Husband Got A Family" on KBS) and Oh Man Seok (MANZZANG!!!) will rotate the lead roles during its run!! That's some heavy hitters My Precious will be standing along side on stage, so I can see why he jumped at the project without hesitation! Changwook-ssi's character plays Mu-yeong, the head of the Assistant Bodyguards and is written to be somewhat of a 'question authority' type of guy. DAMN. How much for a ticket to Seoul these days (opening empty wallet…)?

In other news, RL has slapped me upsides the head and I've been falling behind on 5F recaps and other current drama watchings. But I'm thankful for one of our local Korean stations that runs late-night programming from MBC, JtBC, TvN and Arirang English-subbed shows. For a couple years now, they have been running older SBS dramas, chopped up into easily digestible 30-minute blocks (which means a 50-episode drama ends up being 100 episodes or more). Since they started, I've had a chance to watch "Super Rookie" (ERIC!!!!!), slogged through the Death March that was 2004's "The Land" (not a sageuk, but close enough *yawn*), and now is airing 2007's "The King and I" starring Jun Kwang Ryul and Oh Man Seok (he's everywhere!), amongst lots of other recognized faces (Ahn Jae Mo, Kang Nam Gil, etc.). The storyline explains the rise and fall of the Eunuch Community during the time of Munjong, the 5th King of the Joseon Era. It's pretty graphic in its description of how eunuchs were created (if they weren't born that way), with a fair amount of bare butts, blood and castrations shown so far. Started out kinda squicky, but has progressed enough to where we get to see a 13-year-old Yoo Seung Ho (as the future King Seongjeong) and a 17-year-old Park Bo Young as his fiancee. Truly fascinating to learn something about a part of Korean history that isn't widely spoken about!

Lots do to before @zgznoona hits the Left Coast -- we'll be traveling to Los Angeles to the K.Will concert on Valentine's Day and then staying in Koreatown for a few days afterwards. (Yes, pictures… or it didn't happen.) Looks like the weather will be picture-perfect all next week and we can't wait to see you, sweetie!

Anyway, gotta run. Need to get the Servo Mobile into the shop for an oil change and look-over prior to hitting the road. Hope everyone has a great day and I'll be back laters! Mata ne!

I didn't know than OMS had been cast for The Days. Not than my wallet is more full than yours at the moment... How about filming the show and airing it on TV for us non Korean viewers?

I'm sure there will be TONS of rehearsal and show footage available soon. I just received an e-mail with several awesome pics from their poster shoot yesterday, so I'll put up some of the better ones on the JCW Soompi forum once I return home! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! ♥♥♥

If anyone wants to follow "The Days" on Twitter, the production just opened an account: @MusicalTheDays. Barely up and going for 12 hours, and already over 400 followers!

Khamsa hamnida! Squuueee!!

wow, all that castration stuff just made me want to see it. Am presently reading a book about a eunuch. I might as well jump in. Thanks.

I wonder if there are any sites out on the Interwebs carrying torrents or streaming this show (look for the title '왕과 나'); I haven't searched because I can handle watching it piece-meal at 11 PM every night. But last night's episode was mega-squirm-inducing, to say the least. Finally found out why the eunuchs considered the porcelain urns kept on their homestead altars their most prized possessions. Fascinating!!!

I couldn't find it on Dramacrazy or dramafever. Might look on AZNV or some other site.

Cherkell, we are traveling on parallel lines - I too live in the Bay Area, driving down to So Cal on the 15th only in my case it's because my daughters have a skating competition. I just took the van in for a brake job and for them to shake their heads over my bald back tires, LOL.

Oooh, how exciting! Figure skating or short/long track? Are they members of one of the clubs up here? I ask because one of my good friends skated for the Japan National Team when she was younger, and I hear all the skating stories from her -- she knows anyone who's everyone in California skating!

It's figure skating, but we are not in the big leagues, LOL. It is an ISI competition, which is the amateur/fun/non-Olympic division, and they are skating on a team with 20 other people - between the ages of 6 and 56! - in a precision dance number with a Disney theme. My oldest daughter also skates competitively in the USFSA (Olympic track) division, but she is way down there in Preliminary so really, they both do it for the love of it.

I find it hard to believe that I"m first, but whatever, eh? I'm sure someone will post before I finish this.

Drizzly morning here, hasn't rained in weeks, ever since hubby finished setting up his rainwater catch system, lol. It's not raining much, but at least we can see if it works. It's only raining because the AT&T Pro Am Golf Tournament is going on at Pebble Beach, and it's against their rules to play if it's not raining, lol.

Life is busy, not much time for drama watching. I was watching I Miss You, which I liked OK, but not as much as I hoped, given the leads. I was also watching School, which I did love, I thought it was so well done, the characters were great, the story was great, etc etc etc. Now I"m down to just FBND, which is adorable. I watched one ep of Incarnation of Money for my KJH, and 2 eps of Level 7, which is hilarious. I probably only have time to pick up one of them, so we'll give them a couple more eps each to decide.

Looking forward to hanging out with fellow Beanies CherKell and zgzgirl in a week or so.

Hope everyone is well and happy!

Now i'm felt guilty.... :(

hahaha, Fairycutter ... the quicker one wins! ^^

Hehehehe.... guilty pleasure then.

We have to make some time for drama watching when I visit next week. ;)
I would go with FBND over IoM. I tried the first episode, and I could take the makjang. But of course. I will always pic a romantic comedy over a melo.

How about I bring my copy of "I Am The King"? I bet you guys haven't seen that yet! We need to make sure not to drink excessive amounts of liquid, because Joo Ji Hoon will make you laugh SO hard that I don't want to cause any 'accidents.' :D

I saw that. He was funny, I wonder what he is up to these days.

Sounds good

AW SO CLOSE!

Hi all!!

I've been lurking on the OT for a while and thought I'd come out of the shadows to say hi!

I'm in Toronto and the weather is SNOWY here! It's a horrible day to be out but looking forward to going home, hiding under the covers and watching tv!

I'm watching FBND right now and plan to start Level 7 Civil Servant soon.

Any other recommendations?

Welcome! Glad you came out to play. Everyone here is pretty nice, no one bites....or at least as long as you dont try to take JoAnne's Rain, Raine's PSH or Cher's Wookie.

I've not much time for dramas these days, but I have a long list of past watches if you're interested in older stuff.

Sure! I also watch jdramas and tdramas if you have any good recommendations!

I'm flying to Florida next week so I have lots of airport time to catch up on dramas!

Shut Up! Flower Boy Band
Queen In Hyun's Man
Coffee Prince
Arang and the Magistrate
The Greatest Love
King 2 Hearts

Those are all time favorites.

A Man's Story AKA Slingshot is kind of a psychological thriller that I really liked alot. It's pretty old, so it's harder to find, I had to download it.

Capital Scandal AKA Seoul Scandal and couple of other names, with Kang Ji Hwan is fun. It's a historical set in Japanese occupied Seoul. Also, Kang Ji Hwan's Hong Gil Dong is a kind of fusion-sageuk where he plays kind of a reluctant Robin Hood-ish hero. I thought it was fun, too.

Do you like rom-coms, sageuks, melos, etc?

A Man's Story is coming to Drama Fever, I saw that yesterday. I heartily second all those recommendations plus if you like to cry....I've got some others.

LOL! Is it sad I've seen all of your all time favs except Greatest Love?? LOL!

I also started Hong Gil Dong but didn't get all that into it. But since you're recommending it I'll give it another shot!

I'll pretty much watch anything except for those dramas that make me depressed and bemoan mankind.....real life is hard enough!

OH, Dal Ja's Spring with OMGLeeMinKi is cute. A tiny little weirdness at the end, but totally worth it for the middle, lol.

Just finished Prosecutor Princess, that was fun. Kind of Legally Blond-ish.

And The Man Who Can't Marry is cute/funny.

Like your list, Shel, only I'd replace The Greatest Love with City Hall - I prefer smoldering CSW to manic CSW.

I heart Greatest Love. And this is coming from someone who doesn't exactly appreciate k-dramas (well, GL's the first that I really, really liked, I'm Kim Sam Soon being a close second and What's Up, Fox rounding up the three) or follow the scene closely.

I tried getting in City Hall because of CSW and KSA, but I just can't beyond the 2nd episode? But I shall try again!

CherKell -

I watched City Hall and BL, and CSW is awesome in both. I lean a little more towards City Hall, just because I love some of the smoldering scenes (any other recent KDrama where they make out in a car by the waterfront?)

Haven't see A Man's Story, but I know our chingus have been talking about it, so I'm all about it, as long as it's on DF mobile.

Take care!

Celery, you have to be patient with City Hall - it starts out a little silly, with some slapstick humor and some very broadly-drawn characters, but then from about episode 3 it slowly picks up steam, and weight, until there are scenes near the end that sock you right in the gut. It wasn't until the tango scene, in episode 3 I think, that I realized they might be going places interesting. And they did.

Yes, ladies! My eternal bias is CSW so I HAVE to complete City Hall.

I am currently trying to absorb this thing (HAHA!) called Athena but the plot is driving me crazy with its unrealistic characters.

Some great recommendations there! I also highly recommend Love Shuffle, a jdrama. It's not too serious, but has a lot of heart, and it's also a nice break from high school/occupational jdramas.

I second that Love Shuffle. Also, if you like to branch out of Kdrama, Nobut wo produce is good too. Kdrama wise, I like The woman who still wants to marry too (it's old). Oh, and Damo. My all time favorite (but come to think of it, you might hate it since you said life is hard enough...this is not one to make life easier :P)

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'll check them out!

yess love shuffle is pure awesomeness. i'm also watching "saikou no rikon" right now, which is absolutely amazing.

Love Shuffle was my first Jdrama! I love that one! And every time I'm in an elevator I think of that drama.

Yaaaaay Panda!

Hey Aigoo! I second all of shel's recs (especially Arang) but here are a few more, if you haven't seen them:

School 2013
Shut Up Flower Boy Band
You're Beautiful (if you like Park Shin-hye, you must watch this - the first episode almost put me off, but from episode 2 onwards things really pick up)
Ojakkyo Brothers (crazy long but it has Joo-won)
My Girlfriend Is A Gumiho
Answer Me 1997

and on the more intense side
The Devil
The Princess' Man

I haven't watched The Devil but The Princess' Man is on my hit list! LOL! I even bought the DVD but I'm waiting until I have enough time and popcorn before I start watching it!

I've watched the rest - they're all great recommendations! Loved School! Miss those boys! Can't wait to see them in something else!

Could i recommend"

k-dramas:
Flower Boy Ramyun Shop
Syndrome
Chaser
White Christmas
Dal Ja's Spring
Sign
Take Care of the Young Lady

J-dramas:
Floating Classroom
Delicious Gakuin
Joker
Liar Game (fun if you like logic games)

Chinese Dramas:
Mars
Gloomy Salad Days

Carole - ita on White Christmas, that cast is like a Who's Who of young talent, but - Take Care of the Young Lady?! I never made it all the way through because I thought it sucked so hard and the male lead was ugly (plus YEH really can''t play mean girl) and it managed to waste Moon Chae-won in second lead, but you're the first person I know of who likes it so I want to figure out if it's worth a shot when I have nothing else on my plate.

Aigoo - how about Can We Get Married? That's recent, but it's pretty great plus of course the cast is gorgeous..

OK, for true brain whiplash, cut back and forth between White Christmas and Delicious Gakuin...!

OOOH, school story mashup!

@Pogo, I think I liked it because of Jung Il Woo. My big failing. He was second lead so... But i didn't think the main guy was so ugly.

Agree with White Christmas. It's what I tell EVERYONE to watch. I've never met someone who didn't like it/wasn't affected by it.

@Carole - haha, I think he probably isn't THAT bad-looking, but compared to her previous leading men, he was a serious downgrade (and I am shallow enough to note that, in the pantheon of her leading men, he does come wayyy below all of them - Joo Ji-hoon, Gong Yoo, Kang Ji-hwan and Yoochun)

YA! No one better take my Onew, either! >_<

Hi Hi!!!

have you watch Spec? that's one fine and hilarious jdrama...

I totally loved that!! The lead was hilarious! I wish they had another season.....

there is another season on the make, or at least SP and Movie... and Toma in Red....

No way! Do you know when it's supposed to come out?

Filming start about December last year and due out this year for both the SP Zero and the Movie Close.

oh my gosh! I love your name, Aigoo!

LOL! Thanks! I thought it was totally fitting given the amount of kdramas I watch! I swear I don't watch anything in English anymore!

I even forget the last English speaking drama i watched...

God lord, what a doom we facing...

I totally understand. The only stuff I watch on TV are an old British comedy, Keeping Up appearances and reality shows like The First 48, I survived, Celebrity Ghost Stories, Stalked, and Frenemies. And of course American Idol. On American TV, truth is always stranger and less predictable than fiction.

I adored Keeping Up Appearances!! Hyacinth was a right old broad. Some of that old British humor is just what you need sometimes for a bit of a smile with your tea and biscuits. lol

Other older British comedies on my list:

'Allo 'Allo - set in occupied France during WW II

The Thin Blue Line - A short series based in a police station

Are You Being Served? - The interaction between employees at a department store.

Shukmeister.
yeah. KUA is my long-time favorite. Loved, loved, loved Are you being served? I also liked Butterflies. Once in a while i watch Vicar of Dibley and am trying to get into Mrs. Brown's Boys. But i watch that on the internet. Haven't heard of Allo Allo or Thin Blue Line. Will look out for them. Thanks.

The only thing that will drag me back to English-language TV now is the third series of Sherlock. Which is not getting here before 2014, ha.

They take forever to come out with new episodes! I've taken to watching the new one - Elementary - but it isn't as good as the BBC version....although I do enjoy the twist of a female Watson....

I think the delay for Sherlock is the actors: Martin Freeman (Dr Watson) was filming The Hobbit, and Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock Holmes) in the new Star Trek movie.

pogo ~

Have you seen the British series Doc Martin?

Shortened synopsis from wikipedia.

Dr. Martin Ellingham (Martin Clunes), a brilliant and successful vascular surgeon at Imperial College London, develops haemophobia (a fear of blood), forcing him to stop practising surgery.

Despite his medical brilliance, Ellingham is gruff, ill-mannered, and lacks social skills.

He obtains a post as the general practitioner (GP) in the sleepy Cornish village of Portwenn, where he spent childhood holidays with his Aunt Joan

Ellingham also finds it difficult to express his romantic feelings to primary school teacher Louisa Glasson (Caroline Catz)

When I watch an English-language drama, I find myself looking for the subtitles....

Same here! The last English speaking anything I watched was RuPaul's Drag Race, and it only lasted a few minutes before I started getting antsy...I wanted some K-dramas, darnit!

I find that I get confused sometimes because I'll flip to a different screen to check something while watching an English-language program, think to myself hey, I understood what they were saying! And then realize that's because it's in my own language.

I guess basically I don't even realize I am listening to Korean anymore. Not that I can follow entire conversations or anything - heck I can't follow lots of SENTENCES - but I don't register that it's not English because my brain is accustomed to hearing it. Especially music.

The other day, I caught myself thinking 'Oh man, I wish Daesung's new album wasn't in Japanese, I won't understand it.' Then I realized 'um...I wouldn't really understand it anyway.' But the thing is...Korean sounds familiar to me, like English.

I'm not explaining it well.

Hello Aigoo! (That name, kekeke...)
Looks like you're a sweet tooth when it comes to dramas?
How about a little marathon of Cheer up, Mister Kim! It's a daily drama (33mins/ep) airing now but more than 40 eps are already subbed and it's SO easy watching...
Anyway, welcome in the OT!

Thanks Mystisith! I look forward to OT every Friday (although I've only been lurking to date...)

Btw...I love your website as well! I check it daily! LOL!

Nice of you! :) I blame my writer's block and my crazy schedule for the lack of posts recently. I want to find a light topic but can only think about dark ones... Winter blues sucks!

Not to put pressure on you or anything, Mysti, but we ARE stalking you...

;-)

Aigoo ~

Chinese dramas:

Bu Bu Jing Xin

The Legend of Zhen Huan

The Little Nyonya

J Dramas:

Nodame Cantabile

Hotaru no Hikari

I should note the C dramas are tear jerkers,

the J Dramas are funny.

Hi John!!

I've seen the j dramas - awesome!!

Bu Bu Jing Xin was also good! I didn't care for the ending but that show put me through the emotional wringer!

Will check out your other recommendations!

Happy Friday! I'm starting to like Level 7, hope it keeps up this week's momentum.

I'm trying to finish some of the older dramas on my list. I really enjoyed Attic Cat. Considering that it is ten years old I thought it held up to the test of time.

Does anyone think Iris 2 will be worth watching?

Hi RockPaperScissors! Well, the promo material for Iris 2 looks VERY promising, but then, I also thought Iris would be incredibly good ... and it was, until it wasn't ... and Athena! They certainly know how to do flashy fight scenes etc., but so far, they all messed up the story. I'll certainly tune in for Iris 2, but I'm not expecting too much. better safe than sorry, lol

'Iris 2 will be worth watching?'

of course, at least first 2 episode, well, whatever happen, i'll watch those first 2...

just don't set your expectation too high for story department...

Hi RockPaperScissors!
I am glad I am not the only one praising Attic Cat. It was one of my first dramas and I still have fun rewatching bits of it. Love the main characters and the rooftop room.

I was afraid I would become a really boring broken record about Attic Cat ;)

I like Attic cat. The actress was one of my favorite and I was sad when she died. I had a dvd of her last drama "That Summer Typhoon" but unfortunately, I lost it. For some reason I can't find a streaming video on any of my usual haunts.

Spoiler beware: (^^^)

I remember it to be melo nearly makjang and it was the first time that I found myself rooting for incest. Imagine the ethical conflict I had watching that drama. I wished and wished for another birth secret that would render the incest null but alas the dramagods were cruel.

Friday! A wet and windy one her in VA.

Watching K dramas:

Ad Genius, Incarnation of Money

FBND (Enrique all the way)

Great Seer ( General Lee finally became king).

Finished: He Who Can't Marry. Cute

Watching J Dramas:

Nobunaga No Chef

Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou.

No Chef is the better of the two.

Woah! Where do you get the time?

I tried starting Biblia....didn't make it through the first episode :(

Aigoo~

I'll watch the J dramas before I go to work, K dramas at night.

Re Biblia:

Elf/Pixie girl "detective". Her male counterpart seems kind of dense.

Hey, John,
We're awaiting the big storm up here. Am so tired of winter.

Definitely loving No Chef.

LOL! Those gifs single-handedly made me want to watch this show! LOL!

This has me piqued! Thanks John!

Thanks!

Those gifs has drawn me in. I know how i'm spending my Friday evening. Thanks :)

@ John
I call Biblia my Zen drama: I can't watch it if I'm in hyper mode. But relaxed with a cup of green tea in hands, it works for me.

Hi John!

Yes, GS--GL--he did finally became King. What a long wait that was. LOL

I'm really liking No chef---anything to do with foood---yummy! (cause I can't cook like that) :p

It's weird... Jdorama---they have some really good ones at the end of last year...but starting this year, all those storylines are not interesting at all.
Kinda goes for Kdrama too. eeks.

cv ~

Great Seer: Are Ji Sang & Hae In ever going to be able to settle down?

I actually felt a bit sad for Jung Geun , he's lost all the women in his life.

No Chef is funny and the food looks delicious !

I know right? Jisang and Haein are together but seem to be always separated. His job must be tough.
As for Jung geun, I don't feel bad for him at all. I think it's karma kicking him in the butt---for being a bad person, scheming and killing when he didn't have to.

no chef---yes, it has it's moment of seriousness and fun parts. I wonder if he will ever get back home to the future? Or I wonder if it's just a dream and he'll wake up? Will he change the past by helping Nobunaga? hmmmmmm....

cv ~

When Ji Sang was watching Ban Ya die in Jung Guen's arms, I thought of the song by the O'Jays, She Used To Be My Girl.

i said this in a different post as well but the jdrama "saikou no rikon" that's airing right now is pretty awesome.

peaches ~

Re: Saikou No Rikon

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out .

With It has Eita and Maki Yoko (from Osozaki no Himawari ), it should be interesting.

I'm in the 757 and glad to be avoiding the S word, so I'll take the rain...just not all at once! I don't particularly want to have any Noah sightings! I got a little soppy walking to the office but I had armed myself with my trust rainboots and heavy duty bubble umbrella. Hope you stay dry and warm!

Mar and John -

I'm glad we missed the worst of it. Sometimes it's nice being close enough to the ocean to keep away the snow. Of course, that means your are wet and miserable when precipitation occurs, but I guess you can't have everything.

I'm currently watching Nobunaga no Chef as my JDorama fix, and really enjoying the interaction of the characters!

Me too on the coastal living! Then sun had come out by afternoon that day!

Hi Everybody!
How are you doing? The Winter came back to my town with lots of snow. It's a bit inconvenient to walk or drive, but on the other hand it's just great to listen to Vivaldi's Winter and look at the garden. We've got lots of birds visiting, and i must tell you it's better than any drama running currently. If you look carefully, there are many complicated social interactions, both between different species and inside homogenous groups.

As I mentioned, I am not really excited by anything, I just stick to Rascal Sons and Madame Butterfly. The power of habit it is.

Have a nice weekend!

Czesc-czesc kopytko!
Are you feeling better this week?

Czesc oftheshore!
Thank you so much, I am way better now. I resolved some things, some problems resolved themselves, and I am working out the rest.
Yesterday I treated myself to the traditional doughnuts and was close to absolute happiness :)

How are you doing?

I could pretty much copy what you said above regarding your own situation. :)
I'm still trying to watch FBND, mostly because of Park Shin Hye and the editor noona, I just love them. Also, wciaz ogladam czasem Z Archiwum X.

LOL... recently my mechanic-oppa made fun of me when I told him that I learned German (that's right!) watching X-Files on German tv. Truly, it's one of the series that I will always think warm about.

And forgot to say: I am not able to like FBND. I am looking forward to the next offering of tvn, the one with Lee Jin Wook *dreamy eyes*

....now I want to eat a doughnut....LOL!

The complete thing was: doughnuts (with rose filling), good black tea, my sis at home (she's on winter holiday) and the Ball at the Oper in Vienna on tv. I normally don't care about things like that, bit this one has definitely a timeless charm to it.

hiiiiiiiiii

Good Evening :)

I'm watching FBND (awesome).....

also started Incarnation of money and L7SC, but still have to catch up with them....will do so next week....

eagerly waiting for You're the best, lee soon shin :)

have to start Ad genius as well.....so many dramas!!!!

And ya, I watched a movie as well: "Never Let Me Go"

I've officially given up on Level 7 - can't justify wasting my time anymore.

Anyone watching Swordsman, the new Yu Zheng drama?

I plan to watch if there is good English Sub....

God, I still remember Jet Li version...