Kim Nam-gil and Sohn Ye-jin courted for revenge drama
Have we finally got a post-army comeback project in the works for Kim Nam-gil? It’s still in unconfirmed casting stages, but new KBS revenge drama Shark is after both Kim Nam-gil and Sohn Ye-jin to headline. It’s the latest project from the writer-director team behind Fermentation Family, Mawang (Devil), Resurrection, and ’90s series School. Shark will be the final installment of the Resurrection/Devil trilogy.
It’s slated to follow Kim Hye-soo’s rom-com God of the Workplace on Mondays/Tuesdays, but the casting on this one still sounds very iffy — both Kim Nam-gil and Sohn Ye-jin’s reps confirm that it’s a drama they’re looking at, but say that it’s just one of many potential projects. There’s very little info on the drama itself, but if it’s anything like Resurrection or Devil, there will be murder and mayhem, psychological twistiness, and lots of revenge. I wonder if Uhm Tae-woong would’ve just rounded out the trilogy and starred in Shark if he wasn’t playing Yi Sun-shin later this year.
I like the pairing, and it’d be great to see Kim Nam-gil — ahem, complete — a revenge thriller like Bad Guy and not have the story go to the loony bin on him. It’s been years away from dramaland for both of them, so this show would certainly make some waves if it could score the double comeback.
Shark is looking at a late-May or early-June premiere on KBS.
Via Hankook Ilbo
- Kim Nam-gil goes camping for Marie Claire
- Kim Nam-gil’s last photoshoot, no really this time
- Kim Nam-gil reports for military service
- Kim Nam-gil’s army enlistment endangers Bad Guy
- Bad Guy: Episode 1
- Trailer and stills for disaster movie Tower
- Sohn Ye-jin and Kim Gab-soo as father-daughter pair
- Additional preview and stills from quirky comedy Chilling Romance
- Sohn Ye-jin and Lee Min-ki for Bazaar