Open Thread #288

CN Blue – “Hey You” [ Download ]

안녕하세요, 친구들

This week:

Too many dramas, so I'm short listing them. I dropped Gu Family Book. =P I'm strict about story over pretty. And Mandate of Heaven is coming up. (My Sageuk Korean is still weak)

Cultural Note of the week: Given Names, but separate post, since there is a linky attached to it... I need to give credit. And it'll be a bit long. I debated trying something else, but it's come up a few times in the dramas/shows this week. (Like why is Phil Soon so funny? And why is Making it Kwang Soon make it funny? And why Jin Woo and Seon Woo share a part of their name?) Also for My Sassy Girl, Choon Hyang and the whole name book thing. You'll get all of that with the ginormous post.

On the Boston Bombings

I'm really sorry for all those who have suff [Read more]

Korean Given names

This will be unbearingly long. Sorry.

I chose this topic after Hwasin, Nine, and Soon Sin all started to cover this topic.

References need to be gotten out of the way first. http://kluster.com.au/issue/seven/suk-kuhn-oh/
belectricground.com/2011/08/08/korean-language-and-culture-series-korean-names-part-4/ (read the previous parts too)

Huge credit to the second, a little credit to the first.

The second link covers the following:
- Conventional naming practices
- Hanja v. Hangeul names
- Generational names
- Japanese derived names
- Funny names (Why Pil Soon is funny, for example--meaning last daughter... also Soon is very feminine. From Hwasin.)
- And cultural names.
[Read more]

wow, that was fascinating to learn. I'd managed to pick up a few things out of dramas (I've never seen a drama boy/man with the character 'Hye' anywhere in their name, is all I retained) but having it explained like that is on another level altogether.

This is really cool, thanks! You mention alliteration -- are there any connotations with it in names that make it bad/good or popular/unpopular?

Mostly hard sounds make it sound like the person will end up "hard". Koreans can be superstitious.

That's what I know... the rest I'd have to take a crack at.

I have personal prejudices towards names that tend to match up with Korean aesthetics (though it took me years to figure that out) Some of my prejudices may or may not match. And some of them I know I got from L.M. Montgomery.

So, I would favor nasals such as m and n for transitional sounds. So if you have a hard consonant at the end of one, then a transitional sound such as m or n, would smooth it through. So for example, "Sook" I would want a "m" or "n" sound after it. Sook Mi. Sook Go I wouldn't like.

I tend to really dislike too many s type of sounds in a name. Kinda sounds slithery and can be grating.

I don't like [Read more]

Absolutely fascinating. And what a pain in the neck. My mom tacked on -lynn to the end of mine and my sisters names. I was the first one to have a girl and I refused to do so. My sisters had a fit. You thought I was betraying the country or something. Most of my nieces have a -lynn somewhere in their names. Even my brothers followed suit. However, the convention my mom used to find my brothers names doesn't appear to have been considered for the nephews. That my son's name does follow the convention is more a coincidence then any planning on mine and my exhusband's part.

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of conventions that just lead to fighting in a family.

uhg, i loved galileo 1. then i saw that they were casting yoshitaka yuriko and idk if it's just me, but i don't get the hype over her.

on the other hand, might try that shota drama if not only because it's a shota drama :3

I think Yoshitaka Yuriko is one of the better actresses from her generation along with Toda Erika, Ishihara Satomi and Inoue Mao. Tho I can take it or leave it for the latter two.

The new role isn't that much of a stretch for her. Mainly I'm against her for 1, because there was a love line in 1 I wanted resolved. ^^ I can understand why they did it from a story telling point, but I think taking a risk in changing format a bit wouldn't hurt.

Though the bit with the rock in Episode 1 made me laugh. Ham-fisted attempt on his part as it was. So nerdy.

Were there ever hints of loveline between them in the 1st season? It's been long since I watched the 1st season. I just think that he's too committed to his science to ever have romantic interest in her.

@lmk
There was a light loveline going, which is what ,made the rock scene work in 2.

*SPOILER*
He gives her the rock and explains long and hard about it's properties and how it's *like* a diamond, but far more useful. She then quips that he could have given her a diamond instead...

So there was a light loveline going...

*END SPOILER*

idk, maybe it really is me because honestly, her acting does nothing for me.

toda erika is very hit or miss for me. imo, sometimes her tendency to overact gets in the way. i do like ishihara satomi a lot though, and inoue mao i think isn't amazing, but is good and also extremely likeable, i find.

Yeah. I can kinda see why some would feel that way. I'm biased tho since I tend to like most of her dramas. And I love her personality when she was guesting in varieties. LOL. Same goes with Toda Erika. It's actually hard to find a really good young j-actresses nowadays.

i'm really conflicted when it comes to toda erika. i really liked all her dramas pre-2010 (LG/RnK/Keizoku/BOSS, and even code blue, which was a semi-snorefest but i loved her character). i just haven't liked her in any of her recent works lols.

Inoue Mao is wonderful in the film Rebirth. I hope her performance in that will earn her better, meatier roles in the future!

I thought they already caught the suspected bombers? And seems like they are Muslim emigrants from Russia.

That's the point. Muslim. They turned out to be Muslim. And people over here (at least on Fox News) are showing their religious intolerance. >.<;;

Like there aren't religious extremists in every religion...

I am not sure this topic should be discussed here.

I second this haha.

We had a crazy religious person post on here last year and... well... that wasn't fun...

Memo to self: DO NOT GET INVOLVED lol

Urgh Faux News. I would rather read the news from internet than to depend on them.

It seems like there's a lot that most of you likely don't know about the bombing situation, but I know it's for the best that it stays out of the discussion here. Maybe it would be a good idea to stay on topic and avoid expressing one's views about news channels...unless they did a story on KDrama!

LizJ, I agree. Let's please leave politics and religion out of the thread. The assumption that people a) agree with you and/or b) enjoy your opinions is slightly offensive. There's so many other really critical things to talk about, like the real reason Jonghwa dropped out of Heirs or what is up with the mom in Lee Soon Shin.

ahhhhh, come on, I totally get the mom...poor thing.

First, she thinks her husband that she never had any reason to doubt, who died so unexpectedly, played a TERRIBLE trick on her 20 plus years ago, not to mention the terrible thing he'd have to have done in order to be able to do it. Not only that, but in her head 'everyone' knew but her. Mother-in-law, best friends, husband, all laughing at her.

I gave her a ton of credit for not taking it out on the innocent person involved and still being a loving person, but the minute I saw her with the very person Mom has terrible fears about, then it just twists that knife so deeply that how can Mom NOT react? And you know it's killing her to do it...but she must be wondering if that person knows, too.

Poor mom's heart is breaking, he [Read more]

@skelly
I am totally curious as to why Yonghwa dropped out of Heirs as well!!! The article I read said his agency and the production company couldn't agree on some character details... I wonder what that means??? I wonder who will replace him.
Anyways, even though I am a fan of his, he can't act very well, plus the whole Park Shin Hye thing, I'm glad he is not doing the project.

I think the problem isn't understanding Lee Soon Shin's mom - poor ahjumma, really - but it's more about tolerating her pain on screen. I mean, she's putting a bit of a damper on a drama which is supposed to be cute and fun xO. I mean, she's just there, wallowing in self-pity, and we all understand her pain but it's difficult to stay interested or keep rooting for her if she just keeps feeling sorry for herself x--x.

It's like when an acquaintance has suffered a terrible loss but you can't really do anything to comfort them. And they're just.. there, feeling sad all the time and they have every right to, but you just feel awkward because you don't know what to do.

@JoAnne... I understand the mom in the sense that obviously she's going to be all shaken up, but it's NOT LEE SOON SHIN's fault and she should not take it out on her.

Imagine if Lee Soon Shin was a baby or toddler... would she put her in front of the door? To me, this is a situation when an adult has to act like an adult and separate one's personal hurt from the individual that is part of what is causing the pain but has NO FAULT in that pain.

Of course, Lee Soon Shin is not a child, but an adult, which means Mom has had years to know what a wonderful daughter she is. It also raises the question whether Mom would have thrown out her "blood" daughters, or only the "adopted" one. Not a nice question to think about.

Bottom line: Mom needs to act like an adult. She has every right to [Read more]

I agree with JoAnne. She is still dealing with the very sudden death of her husband, and she went from having guilt feelings about not treating him better to feeling she was betrayed all these years by him, so in essence her whole life was built on lies (I personally don't believe that the husband is Soon Shin's father - which may be why we're watching the Mom suffer now so to appreciate her relief more.)

She also feels betrayed by Soon Shin because she told her many times not to go into acting and she's doing it behind her back.

Harsh? Yes, but it my mind totally understandable. That poor woman has been through so much in such a short period of time. Also, I've seen the Moms in these things be a lot harsher on their kids for a lot less!

@ alua
I agree with joannne
feeling that you've been tricked and taken as a fool for SO MANY years, and taken advantage of you kindness kinda prevents one from acting "fair" or "adult". I'm with you its unfair to Soon shin, but since the father is already dead, and she can't take it out on him, soon shin the the constant reminder that she was fooled. Its still early on, and she needs much more time to move on. In real life, some ppl move on while others unfortunately DON'T.

I'm with you on Nine. Last episode was definitely not as enjoyable. I was like, "Okay, I get it. You two love each other and are having some fauxcest problems. Let's move on to solving the problems instead of all this moping and crying."

I was hoping more that SW would have to prove his love, since he seems a guy of few words but big action. I'd have liked that for the last 7 episodes. But nope.

Hoping there is a turn around, though.

Please, we already sort of had this Uncle/Niece situation. I mean, there is a difference in the sense that she remembers the past now, but other than that it felt a little bit like a deja vu situation.

I meant "Plus" not "Please"!!!

Yeah I'm with both of you! I wanted him to take action and not just go "we'll do as you say" because it feels like the conflict is being recycled.

On the other hand we still have one stick left so hopefully something will get the move on!

Re Nine: I'm so annoyed with Min Young. I can't decide if it's because of the actress or the way her character is written. She just whines so much and it's driving me crazy

I didn't like the character much either. Too whiny for my tastes and she tries so hard to be cute when she isn't. She's also a grown woman and instead of assessing the situation, she just goes along with her feelings, doing things without thinking. I mean, hello, you have two memories....shouldn't you be a little more reserved in your actions considering the fact that Sun Woo is technically still your uncle? I felt like throttling and saying that to her, lol.

I saw the synop for Kamo, Kyoto he Iku and immediately thought: Darn it! Sounds like Rich man poor woman with the distant male figure the woman must learn to understand and lovingly tolerate. I just hate that kinda woman as Understander-of-the-male" kinda thing. The only time I liked it was in Legal High where the heroine stood up for herself but not in that (other) stereotypical way of being the new Japanese woman. So i might watch it, hoping I'm wrong. If it's like Legal High, I'll probably like it.

I might try Galileo but my impatience with Japanese eccentric crime-solvers with flaky robotic tics is amping up. I am somewhat intrigued that he has a true nemesis who might be a real meanie. That'd be interesting.

Kamo, Kyoto he Iku
It has an Alpha female character and is the show is dominated by females. It's just that for about the first 15 minutes or so, the men seriously think she's got no guts, nor intelligence. Instead of her proving herself insomuch, it's more about her kicking their misconceptions about women out the window. (They think she's a helpless woman with no commitment, etc. But she turns out to be practical and intelligent.)

For feminism, I like that.

For the plotline, I've seen it too many times so that's why it's not on my watch list. I tend to like the tone of something like Osen, over this one which is more like a reformation of the character and of the Inn where she works. (And I'm seeing a lot of reformation storylines--and BTW, the main person she's against is a woman [Read more]

Except that by the end of the episode the message is that she's a total failure.

Well, sort of. And I guess we'll have to see how the next episodes go, because while some of her ideas were obviously stupid, some, I thought (having the inn staff learn French), were actually good.

I also wonder if her main opponent(s) are going to be remain women, or whether it won't end up being the real estate (?) guy.

Regarding Nine...

Take a look at the model of the plot in QIHM.

(spoilers for that show)

The stakes got higher and higher. The second to the last episode had the hero at an all time low, seemingly separated from the heroine forever, in the process of hanging himself.

Yet it turned out to have a happy ending.

I'm just wondering how all this can be repaired. I'm thinking these writers have honed their crafts so the story will even be better but...to make everything fall back into "pre-first incense stick" place seems like a total impossibility. I know it'll have a happy ending...even if he returns to having a tumor and a happy three months with his bride/niece. Brother will be alive. Dr Han will be happy with his wife (or not). But how are the writers gonna work out this puzzle without kinda cheating? This is what is intriguing me.

Technically, they cheated on QIHM, they could do it here too :D

Nine didn't add much this week, so it wasn't all that exciting, but I still like it an awful lot. It's the only K-drama I'm watching at the moment.

Kamo, Kyoto he Iku I thought was good, although not amazing. I'll have to watch another episode or two to see if I'm into this.

Kazoku Game I did not particularly like this one. For me, Sakurai Sho fell flat. (The only Arashi member that works for me as an actor is Matsujun.) He's got an eccentric character, but I didn't feel he really make us feel that, acting wise. Plus, I don't like the premise much and I certainly didn't like the message they were sending with the first episode already. I understand the tutor is supposed to be a freak, but there is any parent that doesn't call up the police if their child's tutor [Read more]

@alua

This is going to sound a little random but a while back you rated Japanese Drama 'Tatta Hitotsu no Koi' highly on an OT and so I decided to check it out and, well I just fell in love with it. It's a simple story but the acting, scenes and dialogues were wonderful.

Thank you so much the (indirect) recommendation. I was wondering if I may humbly ask about the other Japanese Dramas or movies that you have really liked. : )

For films I would recommend looking on my blog (Go to ARCHIVE --> FILM REVIEWS and you'll find all the J-films together).

My list of J (&K) -dramas that I like a lot (and some more than a lot):

Slice of Life/Realistic

Tonbi (J)
Nagareboshi (J)
Kazoku no Uta (J)
Priceless (J)
Osozaki no Himawari (J)
Slow Dance (J)

Bromance Galore

Shut Up Flower Boy Band (K)
Hakkyo 2013 (K)

Other Good Stuff, Just Because

City Hunter (K)
Lucky 7 (J)
Dream High (K)
Smile (J)

Hopefully recommendable (= Dramas I haven' [Read more]

Oh my, this is so generous. Heartfelt thanks and it looks like you have taken care of my Friday nights for a while. Thank you so much for categorizing them too because sometimes you're in the mood for something specific. I will most definitely check out your blog - I don't know why I didn't think of doing that!

I am truly most obliged. Once again thank you.

Oh, I had that list already pre-pared. I was thinking of putting it on some corner of my blog at some point, since I hardly ever write about dramas but do watch them.

Hope you have fun watching! :-)

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi has Erika Toda too? What a treat.

I'll have to check out Tatta Hitotsu no Koi.

Wow, Haruka Ayase is in Tatta Hitotsu no Koi ? I'm sold.

John, you're so funny. What does your wife say to this? ;-)

I like the brother in Kazoku game though.

Which brother?

I like Kamiki... that older one :-D

Kami-chan... Kamiki Ryunosuke? :D
/goes to look up the cast
I've liked that kid since Tantei Gakuen Q... and also Ninomae Jyuuichi from SPEC is one of my favorite characters. How's he do in this drama?

@Laya

Yes, Kamiki Ryunosuke. I first noticed him in The Kirishima Thing and think he's one of Japan's young talents to keep an eye on (hence, watching all his doramas).

So far, he's hasn't really been given anything to do in Kazoku Game (other than standing there and watching the tutor character act like a psycho.) Maybe they are afraid that Kamiki will act Sakurai off the page? Because he'd definitely do that, given half the chance.

"think he’s one of Japan’s young talents to keep an eye on (hence, watching all his doramas)" << agree with this, doing the same. So far I've seen TGQ and Kokosei Restaurant. Haven't finished Keizoku 2: SPEC yet, I started watching that one just for him. :D

Because of TGQ I've been trying to watch Kamiki and Yamada Ryosuke's dramas (because Kyuu and Ryu!). Between the two I ended up liking Kamiki better though. He can play both light and dark roles very well. Ah, Ninomae...

The actress playing Kotoko is gonna go places i think. She's really good imo.

The chemistry between Kotoko and Kin-chan is AMAZING imo.

I can't feel any chemistry with anyone yet. And I don't think Kotoko is particularly interested in Kin-chan – as they say, he's been friendzoned completely.

It's the actress's first drama, isn't it? She's definitely got some action chops for comedy.

As lead, yes. As minor characters, no.

Itazura na Kiss-Love in Tokyo – I’m enjoying this way more than I think I should.

Hah! It's pure and sweet. Honoka Miki is adorable as Kotoko .

I like how Naoki's mother is all for a Kotoko-Naoki romance.

Hi KimYoonmi :) I haven't watched this weeks episodes yet but I'm sad that u dropped GU Family. :( I rewatched MGIAG last week and it was even more dorky than I remember but I still love it, so it'll take a lot for me to not love this drama. Thanks for the name lesson, hopefully it'll help me remember some. :D

I like the actors, the pretty, the direction isn't too bad, and the blue lights. It's the writing I can't stomach. ^^;; I've watched a TON of sageuk. And it's hitting the tropes. Plus the repeating "This guy is bad because he rapes" kinda makes me sick for mostly personal political reasons about feminism and stats about rape.

That said, I don't begrudge people who do like it and I can understand the appeal. I mean Lee Seunggi is like a real life dork, which makes his roles often charming (well, for me, but I like dorks). It's a really good drama for those who don't mind plotholes and sageuk tropes because they don't know them. (Dae Jang Geum still persists in being my favorite) I have no particular hate of Suzy either, since I always like to give a chance for people to grow over time an [Read more]

I would definitely watch her with Lee Min Ki. Actually scratch that, would watch Lee Min Ki in anything. Has anyone seen Temperature of Love his recent film?

hello brothers and sisters! I'm frolicking in the park, getting myself a likely sunburn. but it's getting as much sun as one possibly can this "spring"

Hot Weather should always be celebrated <3
So glad to be feeling more summery finally!!

it's raining now. hard. haha. see, I was right to get as much sun as possible!

Kakashi! lets do a house swap vacation, but you may never get rid of me. :D

Hi Leaf! well not if u live in the tropics. HOT all the time here. :) miss the nippy cool weather of Seoul.

Morning kakashi! which is probably evening for you now! I hope you get to enjoy all the warmth and sunshine after what seemed like a really long winter for you.

I wanted to comment above on Nine but feel I'm in the minority now! You know me, I love me some melo! How are you doing with it? What else did you finally decide to watch?

I like it very much so far (am on epi 8), even though there's a lot of impossible stuff in there. mainly: how can a person be in the same place/time twice?? duplication of matter?
not evening here yet: am at the park w/the kid, but now we need to go grocery shopping
oh: and did you hear?? I got my first DMCA notice yesterday!!

Wow, I did hear that! Geez, they're killing us kdrama lovers. So what does that mean for you now? Anything?

With your intellect and background, I'm sure it is very hard to swallow some of the stuff in Nine. But nearly every drama seems implausible - at least this one is labeled as a kind of fiction/fantasy!

I changed the post - guessing what the DMCA was about, cause they don't really tell you - and re-posted. Let's see what happens next!!! Blogger told me it would delete the post in a next step (if it still infringed on copyright). Repeat offenders' blogs will be shut down. But I must say, Google (=Blogger) was pretty cool and relaxed about it

And will you stop calling my "intelligent", lol. If you don't stop, I'll make you read a paper of mine and quiz you about it! hahahaaaa
Well, yes, of course it's fiction/fantasy ... but to be honest, if people do time travel, I'm somewhat expecting them to think about it thoroughly. There's so much on that already in scifi, you can't just really do anything you want. Or maybe you can - but don't be surprised if people go: "not possible"!

I am not a sci-fi fan so my watching is limited to Beam Me Up Scotty. I just take all of this with a grain of salt. You know me, I'm only interested in the relationships. I'm more upset about crazy unrealistic relationships than a little time travel fudging!

Maybe I'd attempt to read your paper if it was in French. That's the extent of me studying anything!

oh! I have something in French! haha, I'll send it to you. If I don't forget.

Oh dear. No wonder I had to wait a while before your site got going. Hope they don't stop your gifs. You're tops on that one. Fighting!

Korazy, I'm still watching 9 but behind a week. Any eye rolling from the time travel story is quickly eclipsed by how ugly the decor is. But I'm really into this drama. I love sci fi, even bad sci fi. did someone bring up Mystery Science Theater 3000 before? lol.

YESSS Spring has arrived!!!! I sit in my backyard listening to mp3's on my tablet, trusting bumblebees won't hurt me, and watching yellow jackets warily. So glad spring is here.

nice ....... here, there's think clouds now and it's going to rain soon! there might even be a thunderstorm

kakashi!

Glad you are enjoying the spring weather. The spring pollen season is waning now, although, being surrounded by fallow fields and a golf course meant minimum tree stuff this year.

You deserve some time off after the marathon session you did with the animated SqueeCaps of WAML on your blog! The acting is improved, IMHO, and the plot is moving along.

But I want more shirtless scenes!!

lol

what, no shirtless scenes in episode 7 and 8?!
duh. I was looking forward to some skin.

oh. and "time off"? You know I will have to start giffing again in a few hours, don't you??

[waving hand in the air] Yeah yeah.
This one of WAML is full of absolutely cute couple moments, to balance out some of the SGO coming down the pike!

Of course that doesn't negate my interest in seeing our intrepid hero and our thistle-headed bad guy go one-on-one UFC style, in muscle T's and boxer shorts.

Who do I pay for that?

me?

I'll happily contribute to your legal defense fund, you internet rogue, you.

lol...cha-ching

Happy OT!

Also, SoCal beanies! I'm putting together a meetup, head over to the SoCal meetup page for the sign up sheet! Thanks!

Lastly, who's loving the new MK from Japan? I'm so addicted!

Me too! It kind of makes me want to go back and watch MK all over again. I will say though that something is a little off, it has the tone of a manhwa-to-screen project with the over the top acting, but none of the actions are crazy (like they were in skip beat), so it views like a standard romcom.

Still adorbs though.

Good Luck with your SoCal meet-up!

The Midwest created a group page on facebook called the Midwest Beanies. And we had our meet-up last Saturday April 20th in Chicago. We were 17 strong, we ate Korean food and drank soju! We had a blast so much so that we are planning another one July 20th and we will have Korean BBQ.

So I am wishing you much success for your meetup.

MAK

wow, that sounds awesome.. were are all the Asian Beanies? ya Enz! we need to get us some more Asia Beanies!!

Soo Jealous! Is anyone doing an Australian meetup? Especially in Sydney??? I know some awesome Korean BBQ spots!

Happy Friday fellow beanies!

Trying to decide if I should take up Jang Ok Jung. Liked the first episode. Haven't seen Mandate yet, will not have time for both dramas. What does everyone think?

Take it up -- it's not perfect but the romance is really blooming and the sexual tension gets you hot and bothered!
It's also becoming cracktastic.

Also: you can watch a nice, pretty mini mv created for our OTP up to the most recent episode --

Hello everyone!!! How are you all? Hope you had a great week!
I’ve finally finished King of Dramas and while it wasn’t addicting it was one of the better dramas recently… so why did It have such super low ratings?? It’s not like it had much competition right?
Starting Gu Family Book and it looks fun! Does it stay good? I saw one Recapper mention it wasn’t that good… I’m looking forward to meeting Lee Seung gi and Suzy haha.
I’ve also started watching the Japanese Drama Last Cinderella. It’s interesting… it kinda makes me realise that I’m likely to be dealing with the same type of relationship problems when I’m 40 as I am now haha. Depressing thought really.
And my personal life… lol. Quiet as it’s still the Holidays (exams over whoot!!) but I do have some [Read more]

Hello Leaf!

Hehe I love your life story! So fun! ;)
Those are some weird convos but entertaining. As for scone guy, if you want to give him a chance and go on a date, nothing wrong with that. You won't know until you try and see if you are compatiable with chemistry together.
Good luck! Keep us updated!

I have no idea now my life became drama central... and contrary to what one of my friends thinks I DO NOT MAKE MY LIFE CRAZY!!

Seriously... my life used to be so boring... but since this year it's all drama drama drama...

But it's not just me to be honest... I was talking about this N and we both agreed it was weird that our small little Uni in the middle of nowhere was drama central.
Seriously... my friend at Uni in London is in awe of how dramatic things are here...

:-)
I just popped in and had to re read your whole post 3 times. And I still don't quite get it.

Ehm... good luck? I don't even know what to wish for you. You do have some random... conversation or is it life lessons.

What happened to just tutorials and essay deadlines? Or let's go for drinks for Friday night. Or are we having a pub crawl. Or which random K drama idols is in London for a concert?

I just share entertaining things which happen in my life haha. I hope I don't bore you all...
And yeah... I don't know what's going on either... if there are life lessons to be learnt I have yet to discover what they are haha.
Wait... I've already learnt one from all the drama... ^sigh^ that's depressing though. I don't like that lesson. And I pretty much already knew it.

And tutorials... deadlines... what are those...? I'm a student haha.
And no concerts coming up :'( Well except the Korea Rock Bands one... WHICH I REALLY WANT TO GO TOO :'( But everyone is too busy to come with me so I can't... ^sobs for eternity^

So yeah... I'm not sure there is anything to learn haha. I'm just wondering though life in search of The Great Perhaps.

Wa...ait
Was that your first proposal? :-)

Second actually... the first one was for April Fools lol...
A friend put a letter from Nigeria up saying he would get 100 million pounds if he got married and he was like 'Leaf! Marry me!!' haha

So yeah... two proposals in one month... and I haven't even kissed anyone yet lol

:-) :-)
There. Your life lesson.
Kiss before proposal.
Or the lesson being... Korean drama style.
Proposal before dating and kissing.

Night. It's almost 1am here and I am catching up on my subbed dramas from last weekend. Ended up watching 4 weekend dramas and only 1 weekday series.

Hey there!

Try Gu Family. It's not super-perfect. There are many instances of plotholiness and a few moments of bad directing (usually the fights) have been cringing moments. But it's light and fun.

Hope your love life does wonderful wonderful things.

My love life is not very wonderful haha.
Dramatic and entertaining.
Not wonderful.

And yeah... I'm gonna stick with Gu Family Book for now...

Not to sound too stalkerish but 동생, your love life is pretty amusing! It definitely brightens our weekends to read about it on OT =)

I love listening to your stories! It reminds me of being young again (and why maybe I'm glad I'm not, haha!)

Yeah... being young is overrated haha.

And I'm glad you enjoy my stories :D

Hey, Leaf! Your life is like the OT's personal kdrama, only less predictable - what a funny lot of people you've described up there!

(and give Scone Guy a chance, if you feel like it - if you do, then there's nothing to stop you)

Lol... well I'm hoping I get a kdrama happy ending ;)

And I will of course always keep OT up to date with any new developments lol. I'm glad it entertains you all haha.

It's gonna be interesting when I see HKG again cause Im not talking to him and properly this time. I'm interested to see how he deals with this. N told me that although he may not show it he really actually does care about his friends. I'm not sure yet though... haha.

And yeah... I flip between I should date Scone guy and I should stay single the rest of my life because all guys are assholes who should be shot haha.

hey, you could hang out with Scone Guy - on a date, even - and not be capital-D Dating him if you don't want to, just saying ;)

But yeah, college boys are assholes sometimes, I will agree. Even my friends were!

Sigh. It sounds asif we're about the same age and I somehow wish my life was as... eventful, as yours. But part of me is also glad it's calmer, and I mostly have to deal with other people's love lives and not my own lol.

So far Gu family book has been great~ In my opinion, at least, but you should definitely at least give it a try~

Hope your drama-life gets a happy drama-ending =)

also: I followed you on tumblr, if you don't mind~

I FOLLOWED YOU BACK!!!

You like K drama and like Daisies... I love you already <3
(Yeah... I have obsession with Daisies... haha)

I'll follow you too, but don't bother to follow me back. I only have it so I can have a dashboard to collect all my lovely things to look at.

And trust me... I have a love/hate relationship with all the drama...
One, IT'S A FRIGGING NIGHTMARE
Two, it does make things entertaining...

Seriously... before this school year I never had any drama in my life. So yeah... it's still quite new to me...
Hopefully something good comes from all of it haha

yay more Leaf life :D.. so HKG is still around? probably still a big tease. lol. yes, go on that date with scone. I once went on a date with a guy who didn't seem my type but was kinda sweet, anyway end of the date I could tell he was getting ready to give me a kiss, but then he pulled me to him and gave me one freaking hard hot kiss that i'll never get over. lol. Nothing ever amounted from that date but that kiss should be in the record books!!!!!!!

Sigh.... I was in drama slump a few weeks ago... now, i'm in much worse position, i cannot focus on watching any new drama at all or my favorite variety shows... it has been 3 weeks and all i could think of... is Bu Bu Jing Xin... is there a cure to let go of this series and focus on new drama...

It's called finishing the drama. =P After that, you rewrite the ending and you're set. I also watch Jade Locked Palace which has a slightly better ending.

OMG !! Bu Bu Jing Xin. Trust me it'll eventually fade but the after effects will always be there whenever anyone mentions the show. 4th Prince *dies*.

Did you know they are currently shooting a "sequel" to BBJX but it'll be set in modern times. I'm not getting my hopes up for it though just in case it doesn't meet my expectations plus alt of the princes won't be in it this time round (13th/ 14th/8th/Crown Prince)

Ah... I still don't understand everyone's love for 4th Prince...

13th Prince all the way yo!!! <3

14th!!!!!

I loved 4th Prince for Ruo Xi but personally my guy would've been 14th Prince.

I gotta vote for 14th also

Well I was reading the recap for another novel right?
Not by the same author but ? another drama involving a prince.

All I say is avoid Chinese historicals. That recap made me cry and I ain't not going near anymore of those tragic tales where EVERYONE has NO happy ending. :-(

hopeless me do not wish to rewrite the ending.. it was just so perfect for me.. will try to check out Jade Locked Palace... hope this version snaps me out of it...

also not too keen on BBJX sequel - no 13/14/ 8th prince... :( and it's not written by Tong Hua...

13th! They were so alike in so many ways,and whenever I think of the drama,I have nothing but fond feelings for the show. I read the novel,so naturally since the drama large stayed true to the originally story,I loved the drama. SIGH RUO XI IS SO LUCKY !

Greetings everyone! Just wondering if anyone else is dialed in on We Got Married Global Edition? I've only seen the first 3 eps (haven't caught anything else subbed get) but I love Gui Gui and Taec. I am also watching Nine and sorta half watching Gu Family (I like LSG but I think he is miscast here. I know he can do gravitas, LOVED K2<3, but he just is too wacky in the action scenes). What else is good?

me! me! me! omg! i loved the way gui gui always make taec speechless with her random antics. lol.

but fujii mina is so pretty; and ladylike. I think honggi gotta man up a bit. hahaha~ but i'd love to see more of them too! anyhows knowing honggi; once he's close with her; we'd be seeing his unpredictable crazy variety mode. (remembering his shows in their earlier years)

btw, I read that as "King Two Less Than Three"

bwahahaha~ I blame higa for this

I can't say I have seen Honggi in much of anything outside of You're Beautiful so I don't really have a sense of his persona. When he dragged out all that luggage: one bag of just hats, one bag of his trophies (eye roll) I was like no. No good. He's clearly the princess in the relationship. I like Mina, she's smart and a little tom-boyish. I just don't see anything clicking with them. The language barrier is tougher on Gui Gui and Taec (and he is so cute for trying so hard). They are still a little awkward because of it, but even the awkward is cute.

(and I said "two less than three" in my head as I typed it, laziness won out over spelling it)

~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~

I loved it when Gui Gui called him "Yeobo" and he freaked out with "WHO IS TEACHING HER THESE WORDS!!!"

My husband thought I was dying I was laughing so hard!

Yeah, that had me practically on the floor! He absolutely melts into goo whenever she says Oppa, and then she goes and throws a yeobo at him, and the poor guy literally just threw his arms up in the air and said I give up. The other part that had me rolling was when he just flatly agreed during the interview section that he was completely whipped.

...and its not like I watch a TON of variety? But I don't think I've ever heard the camera men laughing the way I do when Taec and Gui Gui get going.

I don't hear the camera men laughing because I'm laughing to hard.

I think that may be one of my favorite parts of the show. I do watch a lot of variety and you usually only get laughter from the crew on shows like Running Man and 1N2D.

OMG love these two couples. I thought HongGi would be more annoying but he's kind of sweet, and Mina is adorable. But Taec - man. Love him and GuiGui so much!

I MAD LOVE THE TAECYEON-GUI GUI COUPLE! They are simply too adorable together! Their interactions felt genuine,despite the fact that we are well aware that the we-got-married concept is pretty much staged up but I still mad love the chemistry between them. :D
AND AND AND FUJI MINA IS SO PRETTY! Tbh,I used to really adore Lee Honggi heheheh I used to a Primadonna(what FT Island fans call themselves) a few years back so getting him in the WGM global edition certainly feels like Christmas has arrived early although personally my heart is definitely swaying towards Taecyeon. I have a thing for guys with accented English,what more Koreans who can speak English so damn well. Gosh I cannot get enough of his sexy voice (Yes I am well aware that going gaga over a guy's voice isn't probably the mos [Read more]

Oh I get the hottness of a sexy voice. Even when I don't understand the words they are saying lol

exactly! I'm also a sucker for British accents. Idk whether this statement of mine will come across as being offensive to Americans (if it is,I'm sorry!) but I usually prefer British accents over American accents. HEH Case in point would be Benedict Cumberbatch's voice. I know this is irrelevant to K-dramas but have any of you seen the BBC adaptation of Sherlock? I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THE SHOW. IT'S SUCH A MASTERPIECE I TELL YOU. It's a shame that they only have 3 episodes in a season! Am still waiting for the third season! I've rewatched the episodes so many times,I swear,Benedict Cumberbatch is phenomenal as Sherlock Holmes,and of course,our Holmes is never complete without Watson isn't he? Martin Freeman was pretty good as Watson as well,I loved their interaction with each other. Sherlock [Read more]