Open Thread #289

FT Island – “Baby Love” [ Download ]

Yay Open Thread is here. Happy Friday everyone! I’m not sure if I should whine first or discuss my dramas first. Hmmm . . .
I guess I will rant a bit so I can end on a positive note. I am not as prolific a commenter and/or discusser on this site as many of the regulars, and although I reply to others’ posts here & there on open thread I’ve never bothered to post my own comment. But I feel it’s apropos today b/c it is my last day being able to peruse and hang around like I have done for the longest. I’ve been a reader for years, but for almost two years now I’ve been practically living on this site b/c I had so much free time. I was staying home with my children since summer 2011 after we relocated for my husband’s job. The youngest is 18 months now and I’ve been [Read more]

This is a fantastic news! Nice to see people who are still taking risks in life and who enjoy what they are doing even if it's hard.
*Break a leg* for your business adventure and say hello to the family for us.
Have a nice WE!

*waves back*

With good friends, no matter how long you are apart, you find things to talk about when you meet again. Don't think you are leaving DB. Come back to visit when you have the time, and know you are not alone in KDrama addiction.

I wish you good luck with your business! And don't worry, the dramas won't run away, they'll still be there for you to watch when you have the time.

Right, there is always "Name that drama" if you forgot some :).

Best of luck to you.

All the best for your business!!! Cool thing.

Good luck!!! It's always hard to change your routine, but you just need a lil time to adjust.

Fighting! We are cheering you on!

Sending good wishes your way. Good luck with everything!

Wow, congratulations on starting your firm. Yes, it's so hard to do stuff with kids around. It's possible though. Don't call yourself unorganized, though. Those two years you were just organized in other ways. Adelante!

ALL THE BEST IN YOUR VENTURE! *hugs*

Good luck to you on this new phase of your life! And you know, of course, there'll be Beanies to welcome you whenever you come back for a visit!

Good Luck!!! I wish you the best in your new adventure!

Lots of success for you in your new job:)

Opening your own law firm, hm? Care to take on an unemployed litigation paralegal? :D

Regardless, congratulations and good luck! Hanging up your own shingle takes diligence and patience, and I'm sure you have both covered in spades. We'll leave the light on for you. FIGHTING!!

all the best for the firm and hope that you get some time to rest and some time to watch dramas :)

Wishing you much success and happiness!! Stop by when you get a chance we'll leave the light on for you!

Good luck with your firm. It's too bad you won't get as much time for dramas but at some point you might even be able to manage it all.

Annyeonghaseyo! Kon'nichiwa! All spoilers are marked.

This week:
- Looking forward to Tiny Times. It's supposed to come out soon. I looked it up. The story is so Winnie's type of story which just makes me that more excited.

- Waiting for feedback on the first episode of the Korean drama script I wrote. =P Secondary readers.

- Researched locations in Seoul for a novel I wrote

- Still can't find where Lee Kwang Soo was born. Must be a secret.

Cultural Note: Korean communication (the cultural part beyond the noonchi) and inflection. (Separate post) I swear, two weeks from now It'll be around 2 sentences.

She is WOW

*sighs* Skip. There is no anchor character to like in this drama making me throw it out. I don't mind a cast of quirky characters, but making them ent [Read more]

Korean culture note: How communication works and Korean inflection

The thing about Korean communication that most foreign speakers get dead wrong is the inflection, which follows an emotional curve. Emotions dictate the tones, the pitch, the loudness, and the holding of vowel sounds. (Compare this to say, Japanese or Chinese (Mandarin, mostly) and you'll find that culturally, this is very different.) Daniel Henney admitted that this was the hardest for him to conquer because in the US, men aren't supposed to change, pitch, tone, loudness and hold vowels--it's considered girly (from mostly Standard American English). My brother also refuses to do it, even though he knows it's wrong. (This is one way to pick up someone is not native Korean)

This means that in order to prove anyt [Read more]

Thank you for another 'Korean Culture Lesson' haha. It's really interesting, since I'm trying to get some insight into the Korean culture. It's also interesting to compare to the Chinese culture (which I'm more used to) and see both the similarities and the differences.

The Chinese for example are really blunt as well, but perhaps in a different manner. At least, from the perspective of foreigners. Whenever my friends hear people speak Chinese, half of the time they think they're fighting because they can't understand what they're saying, but usually people are just having a normal conversation. I guess people express themselves differently in each language.

I think it's the tones in Chinese that make people think they are fighting since tone is used in English to tell about emotional state... but to my ears, it sounds poetic. I like all the soft sounds in Mandarin. And the rounded sounds in Cantonese. Plus it has a natural cadence.

I've heard people who learn Chinese also say that Chinese tend to be ummm... how to put it, redundant as in pointing out the obvious.

Beyond that, I've only learned a little bit about Chinese socialization, etc, so I'm not sure how it effects the language by region/group 100%.

It's definitely the tones. But apart from that, I think the Chinese just tend to be more... expressive, when they're talking. Bigger gestures and they raise their voices more easily, which can make it very intimidating if you don't know what they're saying, I suppose.

When I was in college, I had a series of Asian roomies...some from Canton, China, one from Taiwan, one from Osaka, Japan, two from Bangkok and one from Seoul. Other than the odd word here and there, I didn't learn their language. I did learn about food, though. They were all awesome cooks.

But, we did notice a few things. When my Chinese roomies would have their chinese friends over, it was always, very loud, very boisterous and it always seemed like they were trying to talk over each other. The Thais and the Japanese on the other hand were always very subdued. They spoke in much lower toned voices. The Korean mostly hung out with the Thais, so if she had other Korean friends, I never met them, so I can't comment on that. Initially I assumed it was a personality thing, but as I [Read more]

무슨 말씀이신지...

Haha, I tried, but all those really just went over my head...

Damn, Korean's hard...

The dialect and accent information is fascinating. I like training my ear to pick up regional differences, but it's so much harder than accents in English because I have only a basic understanding of the language. All the youtube clips really helped clarify. Thank you.

Okay, I just totally copied that! Gonna put it in my notes.

As a Jamaican-English speaker and someone who taught ESL, I understand how American English/communication can be a problem.

English is a language one can use for good or ill. The nuances in English are definitely there to protect the speaker from seeming illogical and to make the listener do work of interpreting nuance. Stuff like, "That's not what I said!" And replies such as, "No, but you were thinking it!" To which the speaker replies, "You're imagining things." But we all know better. Because, hell yeah, that person was thinking bad thoughts and being way subtle!

Or, folks asking each other to translate sentences: "What does this mean? Someone said such and such to me? What do you think it means?" To which the help [Read more]

"Communication about communication always gets so miscommunicated" Oh, that is so true!

For Japanese, try looking up Tatamae, honne and wa.

Japanese is opposite of Korean in philosophy.

You hide your inner feelings, use perception (not the same as noonchi) to read the other person's feelings, and keep your mask up. (tatamae) while doing so. This creates harmony. So it's a feeling of stepping on egg shells all the time. Which is why Japanese dramas will preach about "understanding other people's true feelings." Because they aren't saying it and it's rude to ask, but your perception should have picked it up anyway. (It feels like a game).

So, loudly contradict someone Japanese they'll either giggle or stay silent to keep the peace.

(Not talking about dialects... 'cause Aomori is as about as blunt as it gets. Really, really blunt. More than Osaka ben.)

For me, swi [Read more]

Ah, also some people say that this type of communication is breaking down a little under the weight of industrialization.

Also this type of communication leads to lots of repression and passive aggressive behavior and not my words (a professor), but also some fantastic art.

Nerding accepted. And acceptable. I was listening to a guy on youtube who does videos explaining life in Japan. He remarked that in Japan there are a lot of sudden breaking off of friendships. I've heard that said elsewhere as well. People just stop speaking to friends and give no reason. While I really get uncomfortable with folks who tell you directly what's wrong with you, I would be so stressed in a culture where there is so much guesswork and "you oughta know" going on. I'm more of a suhldeuk person.

OMG, your discussion on tatamae and honne totally reminded me of this essay I wrote on it for one of my cultural anthropology classes. From what I can remember, my professor was teaching it to us in the context of this Japanese thing of having so many etiquette books/magazines on all sorts of things like the etiquette of an OL, the oyaji, the onnagata, etc. Tatamae and honne always gives outsiders the impression of the Japanese being "two-faced" but you described it way better: it's like skirting on egg shells all the time.

Carole - You're Jamaican?! My mom's best friend is Jamaican and she's one of my close friends too. I know what you mean about directness. I never thought about it until you mentioned it because....she's been there my whole life. Hehe. I love Jamaican directness. It cuts BS out of my life.

I like feeling safe, basically. IF I'm with some cultural groups, I know that what they're saying is true. But that honte/tatame thing can really get to a person if you're inclined to be nervous and morbidly introspective.

A Black friend of mine had a Japanese MIL. The Black friend was very mouthy and a might insensitive. She would run over folks feelings all the time. It was like watching a disaster in slow motion as MIL smiled and was silent but you just knew she was seething.

I would think, "She says everything is fine but she wants to kill you right now."

We're definitely open about our feelings..for the most part.

I can see how that would happen. There is just this HUGe culture difference. I'm from Miami so lots of islanders, Cubans, South Americans...all very very very very open, loud, in your face cultures. So when I moved I had to tone myself down because that's how I grew up. Perhaps its why I find Asia and Asian cultures in general so fascinating. It's like a 180 of how I grew up!

Your 'Korean Culture lessons' are really fascinating to read, and I find them so helpful when watching as so many more aspects are opened up (especially as I have to rely on subs of various quality myself to watch).

I find it interesting what you notes on the speech patterns, as I remember having to learn English speech pattern (being Norwegian myself) from illustrations with dots and lines to illustrate the up, down, and static/same place motion when speaking English.

I also find that different dialects/accents also influence the impression people get from what you are saying; some languages sounding harsh or angry, while others don't. One of the things people often say about my dialect, for example, is that is sounds sorta like a song or melodic compared to other Norwegian accent [Read more]

Kyeongsang is said to be super blunt--it is. You air a lot more feelings out in the dialect version. Also, there is a reputation for making most Kyeongsang people gangsters in dramas. The majority use a fake Kyeongsang accent when playing a gangster. To me, Seoul kinda sees itself as NYC. While Kyeongsang doesn't really care all that much, but wishes they'd quit, which makes it the LA. Or Osaka ben v. Tokyo ben. Seoul also calls Kyeongsang the country and calls Gangwon snobs because of the beaches and rich people who live there. Kyeongsang kinda considers Seoul the snobs... and focuses most of the energy there.

Jeolla gets associated with "country". So slow, methodical, and produces food. I can sometimes hear a slight twang on the rising intonation too. The bluntness tends to sting yo [Read more]

That is really fascinating. In Norway you have the major regions split along the areas of North, South, West, East and the are in separating the north from the rest (they want to be special, my dad is an example of this as he used to call himself trønder rather than Norwegian :p)

Of course, then you break up the major regions into the different counties and groups, each of which has it's own take on the regional accent, but you generally have to be from the area to be able to distinguish the different accents.

In Norway as well people with different accents are often given a "stereotypical portrayal" based on the dialect, like your Kyeongsang + drama gangsters example.

The only korean dialect which I can hear being different from the soul one is Busan, much thanks to Reply 1 [Read more]

@Manin Pusan is in Kyeongsang. But people from other regions are said to be even more blunt. I love speaking Kyeongsang mal, 'cause you just throw everything into the pitch and volume when you're frustrated. Also a ton more blunt.

wow didn't know there were so many dialects i only knew about two.. its like Hindi, in India every state speaks a different version

"You need a fair amount of intuition/perception to figure out the true emotional state of the other person. You also need it to figure out all of the other pitfalls, such as what the other person is really saying, what they mean, when to back off, when to press, etc. Noonchi is also not easy for foreigners, who are often pressed into respecting privacy rather than figuring out the other person. (Noonchi can also be scary for foreigners, which is why Koreans can seem blunt–because out of the blue this ajoomma might come to you and say something that’s true and stings because it wasn’t honey-coated) Noonchi can also seem to invade privacy quite a bit."

I find it interesting that you say this because I am often frustrated by how avoid-y the conversations are in dramas. People will da [Read more]

Oh, avoiding a subject is done in Korean. But you don't tend to tip toe once you're there.

The best demonstration of this is in Hwasin's last week's episode, where this guy's defenses were really poor. The women picked it up with their super noonchi that not only was he still dating one of the people he mentioned, but that most of the things he'd said was about the same girl. So they pressed for her name. That's the kind of bluntness I'm talking about. His lack of noonchi made him seem like he thought they were serious about asking about the name of the person.

However, he was able to block by withholding information. You have to be better than your opponent when blocking.

So tip toeing is definitely done. But if it opens and you're close, it's on!

Thanks again for the interesting commentary on cultural stuff. If you remember the title of the book with the anecdote the American guy who punched the Korean guy I would be interested!

Subs for Nakuna Hara-chan? Yeah. Only Jdrama I watched completely without subs (and I know NO Japanese). What is DL?

Download.

Kim Yoon Mi, totally agree with you on Soon Shin. So much time wasted on such boring stuff. I'm glad I just read through the recaps instead.

By the way, since you discussed Korean naming last time, I wanted to ask you why Yoo Bang's name from History of Salaryman is not made of three syllables like Korean names usually are? I was just curious to know.

If I may: Yoo Bang is the name of a supposed historical figure in the Chinese period of the Three Kingdoms. Most Chinese names have 3 syllables. Some have 2. The full title of that drama is: History of the Salaryman, Chou Han Gi, i.e. it's supposed to be based on the story of the 3 kingdoms, but the resemblance escapes me, besides some char names that were lifted fr that work of historical fiction.

I don't mind background stuff like that, but the execution is poor... I liked the actress when she was teaching, but when she freaked out, I didn't like her anymore. (Also not a spoiler--if you didn't get this from the first, then you have to be really slow on the uptake). I'm not quite sure why she's all panicked by the accident either. (Comes early, so it isn't a spoiler) It wasn't illegal.... and they didn't exactly put enough ground work to establish why she's so scared. Plus it would be good press in a way to say thank you to her savior, yes?

I keep hoping they flesh out the older female characters though. I really hope they do. I've seen some awesome ones on K-drama TV, so I know it can happen... so why not make it happen????

But in contrast, I LOVE the other story lines. I thi [Read more]

Baker guy is definitely super adorable. But yeah, I'm not so interested in the elders of the show either. As for the actress, I think they made her freak out so that her actions would have a bigger role to play later when it comes to the big reveals for the other characters, causing for lots of angsty scenes.

Might try Nakuna Hara-chan since you like it. Thanks.

About the rape: Wasn't a certain person going out with her for a while? He wasn't a stranger. He was the lingering in the background guy who had been hoping for her love.

I understand what you mean about auto-evil and rape being linked but in college a friend of mine attempted to rape me. Pretty much for the same reasons that the villain here raped his victim. The only thing that bothered me about the off-screen attack was that he dragged her to an inn to rape her. I kept thinking, "Why didn't she scream since they were in the street?"

The circumstances aren't what I'm picking on so much as the idea that rape can be used to flesh out a character at all. NO.

Though the dragging into the motel bit was weird.

He made no moves on her before from their conversation and it was fairly clear by how she called him by name that she barely knew him.

Though there are stranger rapes (a little political), the majority of rapes are actually done by acquaintances with prolonged contact. (The sad fact being that most are not prosecuted for the same reason.)

Also, the whole idea that rape expresses a need for sex or love is kinda thrown out by psychology. It's always about power. And I got that feeling from this one.

Anyway, rape as purely a character device, I loathe sincerely. It undercuts the trauma of rape, what it invo [Read more]

I got the feeling they knew each other. She said she didn't want him because she didn't like his character. She must've been around him a while to know his character. Plus he was friends with her future husband and either her husband must've seen them together to know she slept with villain, or she had told her husband about the rape and husband ignored it. So I'm thinking if her husband thought her son was the villain's then she must've been dating villain before she chose husband.

In this case, though, the rape does say something about Choi's "disgusting will." He wants what he wants, he gets what he desires. So many evil villains wanting things...and rape is an easy way to talk about taking things by force. In this case, because they wanted Choi to be Jung Woo's dad, they had little [Read more]

*spoilers from the scene.*

If she'd been dating him before, it's likely she'd call him "Oppa", but she steadily didn't. She called him Jin Cheol, which means he's an acquaintance, but not a friend. You call close friends, who are older than you "Oppa." He never reached friend status. (You actually can see this established well in WGM's episodes where friends start out with ssi, drop down to "Oppa"/"Nuna" and then down to "Chagiya" Also in the clip I provided for the Kyeongsang Saturi... (which has subs). He wants to be called "Oppa" and not Seonbae because he considers her a friend. Also because she keeps talking informally (which conflicts with her not calling him Oppa.), but conversely, uses his name.) It's a good lesson in formality.

He also said "You didn't look at me once despi [Read more]

KimYoonmi-shi:

I don't think we're disagreeing really. I sensed he was always with and around her, and she knew he liked her but tried to maintain a distance from him. There have been so many programs on Discovery Channel and other channels lately about stalkers. Often they are friends or acquaintances who are hellbent on relationships even if the woman is against it.

I felt she didn't call him "oppa" in the way any girl American or Korean would avoid calling someone "oppa." Oppa implies friendliness and she was distancing him. In English, if one is distancing a person, one doesn't use words that could cause trouble by implying friendship. She talks informally because they know each other but the conflict of friend/would be lover is something that shows they do know each other. Tha [Read more]

*spoilers but if you are this deep into the thread, I assume they are no longer spoilers*

I don't think the rape was written to make Choi evil, I mean we were already on that page. He was a pretty disgusting fellow before that reveal.

I think the actual motive from a writing standpoint was to make mom, and even more so Jung Woo, as victims. Mom's story has kinda been on the back burner, but there is certainly a difference between her being indiscriminate or even "slutty" in her youth and being forced into an act. Having Jung Woo bring it up and finally telling someone the truth *may* be a factor in her current catatonic state.

It also gives Jung Woo a heavier motive for his suicide. And an extra push for leaving Korea for the US back in 1993, as I am sure it would be hard to k [Read more]

@Lisah
*spoiler*

I just don't like Jeong Woo involved in the rape part at all. Just undercuts the trauma when it's made to be makjang (boo hoo, let's make this sadder). But this is more for clarification than to argue against you. Wasn't sure if that was clear.

I really, really hate it when they skip over the actual mental trauma of rape. Period. And I doubly hate it when they do it just to make things more evil or more sad. It's one of my least favorite ways of plot. And I hate rape as a mere plot point to wrench feelings of evil and sadness from the viewer.

I feel it does a disservice to rape victims to use rape in that way. So my anti-rape in episode 15, is more of a political statement and personal feelings about how to write well and about rape, than it is on "if it works". [Read more]

Wow!!! WOW!!! Just started watching Nakuna Hara-chan. And I totally totally love it!!! Thanks so much for the recommendation. It's become an instant favorite.

I'm waiting for Tiny Times too. I must have heard of this project a long time ago on Koalas's blog and I keep replaying the long trailer.

Supposed to come out in July. I need to watch it. I so need to watch it. I read the summary of the plot and it seems like something I'd love to eat up.

I love Soon-shin when its about, y'know, Soon-shin and Joon-ho or the other sisters. But the other stuff is geting too heavy and annoying. I get Granny, though. At least a little. She's old and alone and her kid died and her daughter-in-law who doted her has cast her off to the emotional curb.

Hwang = pointless. Jung-ae's massive multi-episode flipout = makes me want to pull my hair out.

I have/had 4 grandmothers total. And one of them is super alone, but not so half so annoying (When she gets lonely she tends to break boundaries and pick on people but never calls them ungrateful). So maybe that's my lack of sympathy for LSS's grandma.

Mostly, I think of my two Korean grandmothers who were awesome sauce, so maybe that's my lack of sympathy. Sure one was a card-wielding go stop champion who liked to drink, but her force of personality with the other people in my hometown (one of three), pretty much ran the market. People remember her as a force to reckon with. She had a husband leave her, despite that she remarried and had another child. She lived through the occupation and Korean war. Given her tough as nails persona that even my Korean father failed to inherit, I have [Read more]

I think I'm from the other side. I'm American/white/Jewish/Spanish/Italian...no Korean nothing. BUT I have no grandparents at all. They all died before or shortly after I was born. I always regretted that so I hate seeing the grams cast aside like that.

I'm curious with Last Cinderella as to who Choko is? At first I thought she was Hiroto's sister, but after watching the recent raw, I'm doubting that.

well,,i like SHE IS WOW..

i know all of the characters are unlikeable..

but somehow,,don't you want to know how is this drama going to end?...

because i'm pretty all of the secrets will be out later, i wonder :
will the father stay loyal to his gay lover ?
will the mother get divorce?if so, how will she do that?make it like she's the victim?or, she'll keep her marriage?but before that,,will she have affair with the hot neighbor?
will the son ever be a good son?

this drama isn't ordinary, so the ending is so unpredictable,,unlike the common drama.

typo.. "because I'm pretty SURE",,sorry for missing the SURE..

and,,o yeah i like Tsuma wa Kunoichi also,,

just for fun,,the first time i heard about kunoichi was when i read a manga called NINTAMA RANTARO like 8-9 years ago,,and how they execute their ninja taska are so funny, so i have to completely maintain my mindset again that ninja tasks are dangerous after watch this dorama...

i can really feel the love in this dorama,,i hope that Futaboshi meet his wife soon...

Let’s say it together: NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE! Can’t wait how they’ll end this show! Hopefully they won’t destroy everything with the last episode like it happened so often before (e.g. Nice Guy). Compared to so many other dramas this show is close to perfection. :P

Gu Family Book – Nope, still not tempted to check it out. Even if Choi Jin-hyuk returns. Guess, I’ll have to wait for Heirs.

Jang Ok Jung on the other hand I did check out and surprisingly I liked what I saw. 2 episodes till now and I plan to continue. (Btw I must be the only person on this planet considering Kim Tae-hee not beautiful beyond belief. I simply don’t see it.)

When A Man Loves – my guilty pleasure. So many wrongs somehow make an entertaining show. Oh, Kdrama, how I l [Read more]

:( I love White Christmas, you can never be too old to admire hotties.

I quite liked White Christmas too

Aw, I'm sad you don't like WC. It's my favorite and NOT cause of the hotties. I saw it when I didn't know who they were and pretty much didn't know kdrama either. But I tend to like slower shows. I actually LIKED the pace of the beginning of Love Rain...

I LOVE Gu Family Book and I haven't checked out the others you're raving about! I suppose I will have to check them out. I've wathced afew scenes in WAML to help Shuk figure out the classical music bits. Oh the drama...

And I appreciate it from the bottom of my boogity boogity shoop, Raine. lol

The last two eps are mostly KPop, unfortunately. But I'm sure they'll dust off a little Wagner before the end, just to heighten the dolor a bit. lol

Please no Wagner...or STrauss. How's about....LALO!

That would be...interesting. How about one of your compositions?

But I like slow story telling too. That's why I'm puzzled why this drama doesn't pull me in. Maybe it's because I'm watching Nine at the same time and it is simply more suspenseful and better written? Ugh. I guess, I have to wait a couple of weeks and will return then. Or it is, because it is spring outside and we had this long hard winter? ;)

Actually it might even be that I still have great difficulties to distinguish Korean names and this story is hard to follwow wondering half of the time whom they are talking about. :D Whatever the reason I have to work to finish an ep, never a good sign. :/

you should try it another time and don't you watch with subs why can't you differentiate the names??

Because names like e.g. Joon Ki, Joon Ik or Joong, Jung or Young, random spelling like Gim or Kim etc., without a chance for me to recognize even the gender by looking at the name, are confusing for a German native speaker. Frank, Susanne and Max are far more easy. ;)
Having a huge cast of approx. 12 ppl multiplies the difficulties.

I think that's the way I feel about Cruel Palace of Women. It's up against NINE for heaven's sake! And was also up against Incarnation of Money. After seeing how the ramifications/consequences of each action plays out (NINE) and how manipulation (in IOM) is really done...it's hard to like CPOW. But I managed to like Gu. The fairytale factor maybe.

i liked white Christmas since it was only 8 episodes i watched it even though the start did not interest me but was the last episode a killer...

I am watching 6 live dramas - Nine, Substitute Princess, Last Cinderella, Mischievious Kiss Tokyo, Gu Family Book, When A Man Loves. I'm O.O with Jomo/EE's recaps and Squeeing with JoAnne/Shuk/Kakashi.

After watching 'Last Cinderella' ep 4 raw, I admit I am hooked, but think it will be like 'Substitute Princess' ... where I argue at the screen but can't stop watching. I'm on the Sakura/Rintaro ship and all cheaters should get a disease that makes their parts fall off. What is the relationship between Hiroto Gigolo and Chiyoko Schemer? I thought brother/sister but now ... ? Do I count 3 so far that a certain someone has kissed and/or bedded? Three! That's not a love triangle, it's a pyramid.

It's worth watching with subs. And I say that as someone who knows a fair amount of Japanese. Some of the jokes are really funny. Especially with the cheater pair. Haha. (Not putting a spoiler here).

SPOILERS!!!!!!!
Substitute Princess, have you watched the rain kiss yet???? I was screaming at my screen "Finaly!!! yes!!!! Go Terry"

Oh yeah. Love Terry. Love Chris Wu. Thinking about watching everything Chris Wu has performed in. Already watched Autumn's Concerto.

Goodness.. SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!
Autumns concerto... Yep I luff him there. Yet I never care for the drama, the way I'm into SP. I loved the lil boy, but I just could not get over the fact that all the problems could had been avoided... If she either NOT LISTEN TO HIS STUPID EVIL MOM. Or if she waited till he was in the freaking operating room, then left. For gods sake he was going to have his brain cut open, and you choose now to tell him you are leaving???? Ugh

Is there the ep 4 for Last Cinderella already subbed? where? where?

Finally finished marathoning Giant. The verdict? It’s very satisfying and ranks as my most favorite revenge story so far. I love that it’s a character-driven saga wherein there’s such an amazing graph of character growth and degeneration that is so universal, making one feel as if they can see these kind of people in real life anywhere. This is the kind of realism that really gets to me in the heart because then I can understand everyone’s motivations, dreams, decisions, and desires and be able to naturally feel hate, protectiveness, love, pity, and scorn for them. I especially loved that redemption for some of the characters came after much struggle. Usually it’s the other way around: characters are quickly forgiven when I’m still feeling hateful towards them and I hate that. [Read more]

Episode 16 of Nine is worth watching though there are very few MY and SW scenes. You just have to get through Overacting Choi in the beginning and then it truly pics up. (Also fast forward through some of the funeral stuff)

Alright, I’ll just do that. Thanks for the heads up. Now I know what to skip. :)

Ah, come on!! The overacting Choi is one of the best part! Eat up the scenery, villain, I say!

*sigh* I love Nine and thought the last two episodes were better than some of the previous ones, but to each his own. Basically Jung Woo died, Sun Woo decided to kill Choi & an incense he had disappeared right in front of YoungHoon and his eyes. We saw that Choi figured out that Sun Woo had been time traveling and had a cop get the incense from his house. He faked fainted at his sentencing and, after being rushed to the hospital, used an incense to time travel. Meanwhile, Sun Woo figured out that Choi was on to him and went to the hospital room & snuffed out the incense. But by then Choi had ordered young Sun Woo killed. The episode ended with Sun Woo being attacked and a scar appearing on 2013's Sun Woo's arm. There does appear to be some hope b/c initially Choi had two incens [Read more]

Smack a SPOILER on that.

Oh shoot! Forgot to flag it. I'll send telepathic waves to the visitors not to read it if they don't want to know what happened before they see the episode for themselves.

Ha! Thanks for the spoilers. Things certainly did pick up and I'll watch that stuff. I guess we have different tastes. I don't like so much moping around.

Oh my gosh!! Folks keep praising Giant. I have to commit to watching it.

Carole, Carole, Carole!! I know you have a lot of dramas on your plate...but you must get to Giant at all costs!!!! Lol, just kidding. Take your time. Giant is not something that should be rushed or watched half-heartedly. When you have less dramas to watch or feeling ennui, then that's perfect time for Giant. Meanwhile, I'm rewatching the drama just 'cause I'm having withdrawal symptoms staying away from it.

You're right. I'll do well by Giant. I'll pay attention. Sometimes I do fast-forward through shows I'm marathoning. I will watch it slowly and intently. Promise.

I cried like a little baby for Lee Sang-mo too. Giant was such a great show I end up buying the dvds for 130 bucks. My whole family have seen it and loved it.

Where did you buy it? Does it come with subtitles? I would definitely love to own it so that in the future, if and when I should have kids, I will definitely force them to watch all my favorite dramas, LOL.

Happy Friday everyone! Anyone else overwhelmed by the drama selections out there right now?
Seriously, I need one of those incense sticks from “Nine” to go back and watch all the dramas I have on my list (or a Conductor, or a magical cell phone). 50 episode dramas? No big deal! Bring them on.
My faves right now are Nine, Cruel Palace, Jang Ok Jung, and Lee Soon Shin. Will start Mandate of Heaven and Birth Secret as soon as a few more episodes are subbed.

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, where are you finding the subbed Mandate of Heaven? I want to watch it sooo bad!

I don't watch the show but I noticed it on dramacrazy(dot)net and gooddrama(dot)net

Good Morning, My Wondrous Beans!

The sun is shining, I’m not really coughing any more…life is good here. I hope the same for you 

Nine: Every week. Every damn week, they get me. I love this show. It ALWAYS leaves me hanging, and I spend the whole week trying to figure out what’s coming, and I am ALWAYS wrong. I love that.

Gu: Still happy. Still miss GumiDad, but we’re getting to the meat of the conflict and so far I enjoy the story. How come the Head Gisaeng hasn’t aged in 20plus years?

Last Cinderella: My Miura grabby-hands are off the freakin’ charts, man. I’m filling in with Bloody Monday. I don’t think there’s a Miura out there that approaches Cinderella Miura, but I will take whatever I can get. By the way: Bloody Monday is a fun ride!

[Read more]

how do you manage to watch all these dramas!?

Wrong question on such a board. ;)

lol!

well, i thought i was pushing it with watching three to four a week, but this list is a bit dazzling. i really am curious.

Where there is a will, there is a way. ;)

I've always wondered about this too. Do you happen to have magical powers that somehow enables you to watch your drama in a fourth dimension while you're juggling your RL priorities? I'm amazed. How do you manage to fit them all into your schedule, JoAnne? O.O

Ha! I've explained this before, but it's been a while: my child is grown (and has now moved to the opposite coast); my dog is of the lap variety and needs little beyond ear rubs and a soothing voice; my housekeeping is not what it could be, and I only sleep between 4 and 6 hours a night as a general rule. I wish it were more, but it is what it is. My job, while quite absorbing, tends not to take more than 45-50 hours a week at MOST, and I have been single for many years. I do manage to spend time with friends and family, and I have other hobbies as well, but 2-3 hours of drama-watching a day is not at all out of the question. More, on the weekends. Probably less as we move into warmer weather, to be honest. This is quite a list even for me, but still doesn't include the sporadic vi [Read more]

I used to do that....but driving all over the place has made my drama watching less! *sob*

omg, i loved bloody monday to a ridiculous degree. like i really enjoyed the manga, and i thought the drama adaptation was just so spot on. and i was so pleased w/ the fact that there were two seasons of this awesomeness :3

"SO HAPPY that Yoo In Ah is no longer so irritating. Now she’s the cute level of prickle and I like that." So true! And when she asked Lee Soon Shin whether she still liked their friend (forget his name), I even thought she's actually super-sweet!

I liked YIA's character before...I know she was HORRIBLE, but she's at least consistent. *ducks*

JoAnne, my love! So nice to "see" you. Have I been missing out on Twitter conversations with you lately or is that just me being a bit ... out of touch with things?
It could also be the lack of sleep. Today, I saw a ghost in my computer. Seriously. It was a face and when I looked more closely, it disappeared.
I'm starting to do the gifs now for the SqueeCap! Though I hear they are turning into RageCaps soon?

No, we haven't been running into each other much - you tend to be getting off line just as I'm coming on. Sadness.

JoAnne: Now there is no doubt that Muira is a thing of beauty. When Sakura is wearing nothing but a silk bed sheet and he goes all predatory stalking her as she leans back and back ... oh my!

*SPOILERS*
But I am not so in love with Muira's character in 'Last Cinderella'. Three! Three! It has killed any hopes I had that Hiroto was a nice guy who was going to fall for Sakura. I think you will find Hiroto has less and less screen time with Sakura. He is dodging kisses with Sakura and still having bed time with Momo. Then you add ... the one in ep 4 ... and I just am not feeling the love for Hiroto no matter how pretty.
* END SPOILERS*

I liked Samurai Seventeen (Samurai High School). The Museum Curator/Librarian was great. More Miura is good :-)

Julia, hi! That scene was not as appealing to me as his runway strut through the ball room when he was first called onto the scene by the crazy girl, and then the cute frown through the tennis racket on the sports date, and then the tee shirt flapping on the park date. And ANY time he breaks out that whole-face enormous grin.

I don't see him avoiding kisses with Sakura at all. I see him TRYING to kiss her all the time, and her avoiding him. I can see that there are things he likes about her, but that snotty remark he made to Chiyoko about her in ep 3 was saddening. I look forward to him changing. I don't think he will have less time with her, I think we're headed for MORE.

More Muira is good. So for both our sakes, hope you are right.

Loved Samurai High School, what I saw of it. And Bloody Monday..what I saw of that.

It seems to me that in Cinderella, Hiroto is more truly misogynistic than Rintaro. Rintaro's is only skin deep but Hirato's disdain of women --especially women who find him pretty-- is to the bone.

I'm hoping Sakura's kind heart will bring some light and peace to Hiroto who seems way too guilt-ridden by a manipulative woman to ever truly love anyone ...at least in his present state.

Except for the last two shows you mentioned, I'm watching all those too.

Nine: The last 2 weeks have been so-so and I've been procrastinating watching ep.16 as I already know what happened because of the preview. I was expecting this to be a 16-episode drama so I was surprised that it has 4 more episodes.

GFB: Only watching scenes of Suzy-LSG & Suzy-SJ. Thankful for the recaps. Love Suzy's character. Also, as much as I'm okay with actors over-acting in scenes meant to be funny, I wish LSG would tone it down a bit.

Last Cinderella: wondering why the other girl is obsessed with the lead guy. She's creepy. ;)

Itazura na Kiss: Love in Tokyo: Even if I know what happened already what with watching the TW ver. (too long!) and Kr ver. (loved it), I'm also loving this version very [Read more]

Kogure Shashinkan – The four episodes totally threw me off as well! I like that drama, but they could have done an even better job at full-length! Not just more mysteries, but really fleshing out the characters.

Plus, I want Nobuko to come back!

Forgot to add TEN S2. Good first 2 episodes. Hope they'll make a good ending this season unless they're planning for S3 and would make it open-ended again.

Childless Comfort: The subs are so slow that I'm waiting for at least 3 or 4 episodes subbed before continuing watching. Also, I'm only watching this because I'm wondering what the hype was all about. Why are all the characters unlikeable so far?

A Game of Thrones: Why are there so many spoilers? Anyway, I'm still enjoying watching it even I already know what will happen because the production's so amazing.

My brother LOVES game of thrones so I know I have to get on it sometime. I dropped my other two american shows...the walking dead and once upon a time. I got bored...lol Kdrama has spoiled me for multiseason dramas. LOLOL

I'm mad at Oppa, with Oppa and Oppa's girls. This drama is batshit crazy, I can't take Fish Face any longer. I want only Oppa! /sharing Him with you is also an option/

laos7

I CALL DIBS!!!

Apartment with Oppa in it is mine!

Excuse me. Can you google 'When a man loves Laos?' No. Can you google 'When a man loves Shuk?' Didn't think so.

You girls lost the war before you even began the battle.

Hmm, then how come I google "When A Man Loves Shukmeister" the first five are all MEEEEEEEEEE.

Hah! [hands on hips]

I can google Oppa and Laos, there're 2,140,000 results for me and Oppa out there!
We're meant to be!

Episode 9 is up and running at kakashi's blog, and Oppa came to me in a dream and personally thanked me for his...um...exposure in the SqueeCaps. Really.

Was he in his white shirt and grey cardigan or rather shirtless when he came upon you?

[blushing] 8-)

I LOVE Bloody Monday.

Did you see Hongki and Mina's wedding photos...they are beautiful...though his ponytail is annoying a bit

I first saw Miura in that movie based off the Manga....guh what's it called...I know that's not a valid description here *goes to look it up* Kimi ni todoke. I was reading the manga and was like *jaw drop* when I saw him. Then I immediately gobbled up other Miura things. Bloody Monday is super fun. Kinda the Japanese Hackers but not as hokey or with underwater kissing.

I watched Kimi ni Todoke two weekends ago. Yep yep.

It's as cute as the manga and ...just as slow. but sooo cute.

I like the Kimi No Todoke manga so I watch the animes and movie of course...the slight change to the ending annoyed me but it was cool.

I was happy with him in the role

Ooh, Miura. Should men be so beautiful?????