Open Thread #300

Every Single Day – “My First Song” [ Download ]

Hi Beanies and happy OT!

Cruel City starts to frizzle out. *SPOILERS* The way they are treating Soo-min’s character as undercover is ridiculous beyond words. * Even Baksa’s acting made me cringe a couple of times during this ep, because certain looks and his constant brooding is overdone by now. * Hunky Thighs for Brain should take a few fighting lessons from gaunt Doctor’s Son. After all this hunting he FINALLY identifies him, but lets him GO?! Because Baksa SAID, he didn’t kill the girlfriend!? Guess a gentleman’s word counts. How about the like a million other crimes he committed? * In addition, there are cops working as moles, the prosecutor is a druggie, susceptible to blackmail and they all are still doing their jobs?! * Safari seems to be untouchable from both sides. [Read more]

I agree with your Lee Jun-ki comment - he's absolutely amazing! (And not that bad to look at, either ahaha~)

So excited for 2 weeks, the teasers look pretty good to me!

He pulled me into all things Korean with The King and The Clown. I was amazed how well he acted this part. :O
And on top of his acting abilities he is drop-dead gorgeous.

LOL --> "Why?! Oh, they had sex once. Must have been good."

Hello Newbie, hello everyone!
Happy Friday.
I'm on holidays! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm afraid I have to agree with you about CCity. It would have done better with 4 episodes less, like so many other dramas. But let's see what the last 4 bring, they could be good.

There are so many exciting and potentially good dramas about the start, kyaaaaaa! It'll be stressful if all of them are good!! I guess I'm particularly looking forward to one of my all-time-favorites, Lee Jun-ki. Love the teaser, love that it's going to be action-packed, cause he does that the best.

Hello, hello! I am trying to wean off the OT, but since it was the 300th one, I decided to pop by.

I, for one, will be happy when CC is over because I feel so out of the loop for not watching it.

Have a happy holiday, kakashi! And everyone else, a good Friday.

Oh yes, Happy Birthday, OT! 300 is quite an age, keep it up!!!

oh my, 300 already?! How time flies...

kakashi - oh yes, Action Jun-ki is the absolute best, because then he absolutely transforms from astoundingly beautiful man to 'phwoarrrr, please come and ravish me now!' levels of hotness, y'know?

oh yum. YUM. Now I'm looking forward to it even more :))

Shows what a great actor he is, when he is able to deliver this emotion and yet he seems to be a totally different person in RL.

Actually I am not so sure whether they needed to cut the number of episodes or not. But writingwise they made several choices, that are pulling this show down. It was always borderline crazy and now I fear for the worst. Different, sensible plot choices could have carried this show easily. Hope, they are able to create a satisfying ending. It would be too bad to destroy the intense atmosphere and Baksa's stellar performance with a crappy finale.

I'm with you on all the potentially good dramas to come. The second half of 2013 looks very promising. I need my vacation to gather strength to watch them. ;) Are you travelling somewhere on your free time?

agreed. the writing choices mid-way into Heartless City have definitely upset the pacing. i'm quite disappointed, all things considered. i read somewhere that the writer spent a long time on the script, but it doesn't look that way. too much was spent on trying to justify the miserable romance and the even more bird-brain female lead's existence.

The writer got 'inspired' by a lot of other shows or movies and now seems unable to finish it off with an own, original ending.
*keeping my fingers crossed I'm wrong*

Just this morning I mused about the failing of the romance part in CC. In the beginning, make that better half way through, they were able to transport a certain palpable tension between Soo-min and Baksa. Now they try to sell us him as a protecting guy risking his safety for her and her as loving, but I simply don't buy it anymore. Also they alluded to a huge longtime crush Soo-min is having for Thighs, but when Baksa appears she shows no conflicting feelings about her change. Huh? That's a lot of missed out chances to convey feelings.

In the last ep they gave us the hotel scene with Baksa nursing Soo-min and a sort [Read more]

@Newbie

i didn't even get the palpable tension bit, that was how bad Nam Gyuri was to me. it was all Jung Kyung-ho selling the romance but alas, he cannot do much if she is pathetic. they shouldn't have made her have a crush on Thighs, it served little purpose and cheapens her decision to be a cop - now if she'd become one because she was inspired by Kyung-mi, that might have gone down better.

her undercover story was terribly handled and it would have been better, as you've said, if the writer had made her an ordinary worker, or even just one of Jin-sook's girls who would not turn out to be like Hye-soo (Soo's chick who betrayed him). but it would have been best if she'd been completely written out - the story would not have suffered so badly because there would have been less of t [Read more]

The undercover part of Shi-hyun could work (see Infernal Affairs).

Soo-min and Baksa had something going, they gave us the hottest Kdrama kiss ever. It was bold and very sexy. A well handled fatal affaire would have spiced up this show so much and I still think they want to take us there.

My expectations for Nam Gyuri were so low, that her acting doesn't really disappoint me (yes, it was THAT low). Her character is just badly written. Like so many others in this show... Oh, the lost potential.

ep 16 sealed my growing dislike for Jin-sook. ffs woman, what in the hell possessed you to take bird-brain to Shi-hyun's place?! omfg this is the first time in the whole series i wanted to slap Jin-sook so bad. and the icing on the cake? revealing his name to her! ugh!!!!!

Shi-hyun, omg, please listen to Soo. his bad feeling is spot-on. you can't go wrong if you listen to your buddy!

I pretty much gave up on HC a few episodes ago. In fact lately it seems like more and more I end up giving up on shows about halfway through. Not sure if it is me or the writers, or what - but it seems like a lot of the recent and current shows just totally fall apart at the seams at the halfway mark.

Perhaps after watching hundreds of k,j, and t-dramas (at least parts of), I have lost my tolerance for over-the-top melo and stupidly stupid. About the only "Must See" show on my list now is IHYV, with "Shark" almost in that category.

Since you mentioned the teaser, I searched for it because how on earth did I miss Oppa's teaser?? For shame! Anyways, the teaser was wonderful and looks very exciting. Really can't wait for the drama. Seeing Jun Ki play a father gives me fantasies of us as hubby and wife with our own little Jun Ki, muahahahaha! ;)

well, he did play a dad for about five minutes in a fantasy in Arang (with Shin Mina has his kids' mother), but this is the whole drama AND modern times so basically, just kill me now because I swooned.

Pogo, I worry for both of our healths when Two Weeks airs because we'll be swooning every single time Oppa is onscreen, hahaha.

You chose the perfect alias!

Haha, thanks. It's also because I do daydream often. =P

Newbie - thanks for the Cruel City rant. You have some excellent points.

I pretty much gave up after ep 4's ridiculous twist because I foresaw the twist being liberally used for other characters. And boy, was I so right :(

I am very conflicted about CC. It had so much potential and it still does so many things right. I'll continue to watch it only for Jung Kyung-ho and Choi Moo-sung.

You are better than me, this show hasn't made sense since they started chasing Doctor's Son. Every time a criminal was questioned they blamed what ever on DS and from this the whole police force set out on a mission to get him, and every crime that took place was attributed to him.Yet no one knew what he looked liked.

Even the murder of KM. I kept thinking even if he walked into the police station and they arrested him what evidence do they have that he has committed any crime?

Then you look at the good guys and they are just as bad if not worse than the bad ones. They are taking bribes, selling info, even killing for the bad guys. 'The one cop that's not on the take is on a vengance kick because of the death of his girlfriend, but without and evidence that DS actually killed her.

[Read more]

- Waiting on a bit of research in order to do my story.
- Waiting on measurements to finish the hanbok. (I forgot the strap spacing)
- Working on other stories, but the hanbok is slowing me down. >.<;;

Korean Culture: Since I caught Noonchi before it was useful (on LSS and on I Can Hear Your Voice--there were a string of jokes about that. It's a running gag.) I'll try a bit about Muism before it might become relavant for Master's Sun.

Since the recent shows have kinda messed up Muism, it's really in the Hong Sister's style to try to fix it by using real research and going back to the origins (I'm thinking the whole Gumiho thing where they went back and researched Gumiho and corrected the later assumptions through the show's structure... as well as tying it to real Muis [Read more]

Hi!

Your Muism notes are interesting and from what you said here I can see some similarities to old Norse seid/"shaman" traditions, as well as some samii.

Definitively wanting to learn more about this, as it not only fits into my field of interest as a cultural oriented historian, but also as you say, it will probably feature a lot in "Master's Sun" a drama I'm really looking forward to see. BTW do you know of any good drama's that feature this? Beside Arang where I'm guessing this is a feature at least to some extent.

Your culture notes are always so interesting.

Would you recommend watching "Goodness of fire"? I have been interested in seeing it, just haven't gotten around to do so yet.

Goddess of Fire, I like mostly for the characters and the pottery, but it promises to get sad quickly towards the end (if you've ever read the history). Which is where I'll skip out.

Weak sides of the drama include predictable and recycled event structures, and the promise of holy crap Makjang later.

Shamanism across the world seems to share similar features, the book I read managed to cover several comparisons as well with Muism. I really liked the speculated original Muist POV on the afterlife. I thought that was really cool. (book is available to the Hong Sisters in Korean if they found it. =P)

Arang and the Magistrate actually goes from Buddhism, traditional Korean god system (which I think came with Chinese envoys later) and Muism. So strictly speaking, it wasn't 100% Muist. [Read more]

I have also done a fair deal of research about shamanism and different beliefs and gumihos and kitsunes too...Estonian folk belief has no werefoxes but the fox is the closest thing to a human in animal kingdom as in many fenno ugric traditions. they are cunning, but certainly not deadly! in some traditions, foxes are shapeshifters, in some they are just as tall as a person and can speak.

we have had one of our own ridiculous interpretations on witchcraft, cursing and shamanism, by an otherwise good writer, mind you, but it seems he went just for the cheap popularity and did a hollywood style good vs evil, good witch, bad witch and secret books kind of shmuck. hated that.

I have read about mountain spirits as well. we obviously dont have those, we have forest spirits, srpings and tr [Read more]

In Norwegian folk legends the fox is always portrayed as being sneaky or cunning, but also wise in his/her ways. We don't have the aspect of it being deadly or an evil thing though.

Werewolfs as well has a different notion. While Shamanism, especially the samii tradition, has elements of taking on a animal "spirit" when walking the spirit world, the old Norse tradition is slightly different. In Norse you have the notion of wolf or bear warriors; strong, fierce warrior that felt no pain and would act in bloodrage on the battle field (most commonly known as berserker). But nothing that is simmilar to the Gumiho tradtition from the east.

Norway has a lot of spirits/gnomes as well. But they do seem to be different from some of the more Eastern spirits.

yeah, the berserk, and they can also be female warriors as I have read. in some legends they take kind of a potion. cant name a book where I read but it was in the Tallinn University library so it is valid.

also, the mainstream interpretations of mythology and Hollywood b******** are so wrong! people should learn more and read the actual sources.
our whole culture started from runic songs and legends.
so better to go to the roots

You have stories about female warriors, however they seem in most part not to have been a reality. But yes you have the Valkyries (from the norse mythology) which are female worriers and servants of the god Odin. Also responsible for leading (and choosing) worriers to Valhalla.

Oh don't even get me started on mainstream hollywood portrayal of mythology (also looking at you there Marvel!). What annoy me the most though is when you try to say something and point out the mistakes and people jump on you for it because "that's not what the movie/comic is saying!".

That's so interesting. What book did you read?

Yeah, mythology and shamanism in general are all interlinked or share a common understanding over certain aspects. It's really interesting to see and compare them.

Haha I must admit to never getting past 10 min of the first episode of Nail shop Paris. But from what I've heard that drama did pretty much everything in a very wtf-ery way.

Yeah I've really liked the Hong sisters drama's (those that I've seen that is) and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho had a nice twist to the "normal" preseption of Gumiho legends.

hanbooks.com/korsham1.html

has the book I read. It's a touch academic, so if you have a grounding in Anthropology it's pretty straight forward. But for the new person to anthropology it might be a bit difficult to understand in addition to if you don't have enough training, the usual reaction is "exotic" and "weird" which might distance one from the material since it was meant more academically.

It's not bad for an academic paper at 21.25, but the shipping might be a bit steep, so it's better to buy several things at once if you're inclined. (there is a book about Korean Buddhism, too).

I found it really interesting... it goes through regional variations, historical differences, extrapolations, comparisons, and gets voices from the religion itself. Plus all of those things are pro [Read more]

Not a grounding in Anthropology directly however I've used Anthropology texts as sources for my uni essays/dissertation and seen them reffered to interlinked with History so that aspect should be okay :)

Thank you for the link, I'll have a look and see if it's possible to get it shipped here and what other stuff they have that could be of interest.

It sounds like an interesting and through book. Nice to know what they cover a lot and have it clearly marked out as well. I've come across some book on similar topics that have been all over the place so that it's hard so understand what belongs where.

The idea of "mountain spirits" is pretty common in all cultures, along with all kinds of other "spirits" - forest, lake, ad infinitum. What is more surprising to me is the extent to which so many superstitions still prevail in general society in Korea and some other Asian countries, especially China. (recently saw a news clip about "haunted" cell phones in China...).

One person's superstition is another person's religion. Superstition is just unaccepted magical belief.

I learned that in Anthro class.

"Magical belief" is really no different than many other improvable or mistaken beliefs. There are many beliefs that are widely accepted even though totally wrong, and many others that cannot be proven. Whether it is a belief in some new leader, shamanism, herbal cancer cures, or whatever it falls into the same category.

People have the right to believe that the body of Christ can be put into a waver as much as they have the right to believe that spilling salt creates "bad luck".

Many times what appears as superstition is just a magical belief that got orphaned from a larger religious system that you may not understand, but once worked.

For example, the broken mirror brings 7 years of bad luck, is an orphaned belief from the Romans who believed that the soul renews every 7 years. But you could avoid that by washing the pieces of the mirror in water. This in turn is an orphaned belief that's found worldwide that reflective things in general contain the power of souls, which also happens to dive into the idea that staring at yourself in a pool is looking at your own soul, and contributed to later ideas [Read more]

Oh and I forgot, in the US, at least, your soul can get washed literally every 7 years. If you are in financial crisis and have debts, after 7 years, they get wiped clean. Or you can choose to pay them off/declare bankruptcy, which is like washing the pieces of glass in the lake. In this case, the Romans were right.

Some superstition is merely made to control people too. It's easier sometimes to get people to stay consistent to a rule if you say they will be cursed. Such as walking under a ladder, or opening an umbrella inside, don't spill precious salt (which used to be really expensive), which is just practical advice. (Psychology can cover this one.)

wow, shards always bring GOOD luck here, not bad. come to think of it, most beliefs talk about what we wish for (riches, of course). which is also proof superstitions don´t work...

Kim YoonMi:
I am not disputing anyone's right to believe anything they want. What fascinates me most about humans is the extent they will go to to justify those beliefs, no matter how improvable or improbable. Whether it is UFO's, shamanism, "lucky" numbers, organized religion, or whatever - people will quite often consciously refuse to accept any alternative ideas or the possibility that it could be wrong.

I think that goes to psychology more than anthropology - quite often we can trace the origins of beliefs, but it is much harder to figure out why people will believe one thing but not another, even though both may be equally true or false.

While Asian and many Latin cultures have wider belief in things like ghosts or shamans, Westerners are just as superstitious in their own way, [Read more]

@Windsun
Try reading BF skinner and his pigeon experiments. =P Nerding.

I gave up on Goddess of Fire after 2 episodes. Not because of the makjang, but because the extreme overly dramatic acting just annoys me. I can live with a certain amount of it, but when it gets to the point where the heroine screams, runs, and nearly faints at the sight of a bare male shoulder it just gets to be way too much for me.

I'm in it for the pottery, mostly, which I know most people find dull, but I kinda want to learn aesthetics, soils, waters, etc from it. Character building isn't so bad either, even if the events are weak... I'm turning my brain off to everything else too. =P

Kim Yoonmi -

You know what I've always wondered about writers ..... especially, the old writers we study in school who were alive ages ago ..... isn't it possible that the writer just had, for example, two or three characters who he wanted to write about who were going to have some little adventure and he or she thought it would be a good story? ...... just like that, good, simple story. ....... Who's to say the original intent of the author is to have his or her story have some specific symbolism or meaning?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is the case for every writer, of course. I just remember asking instructors who were going on and on about the meaning of this, how a certain character was a stand-in for some divine figure, etc., how they knew for sure this was the writ [Read more]

Hi korfan, I am married to a writer and know many writers and can therefore answer part of your question :D
(not about the old writers, mind you)

Some really do think a lot about symbolism and meanings and plan accordingly. Some don't. They write more "gut"-directed.

The ones that plan a lot run the danger of over-thinking and their prose can be annoying because of it. They don't leave enough room for interpretation, I guess. The others might not know exactly what the deeper meaning to their writing is, but very often they feel misunderstood by the critics.

Literary interpretation, as done in high school or at uni, could of course be wrong, cause it's just interpretation. There is also always different opinions about what an old writer wanted. And these opinions change. so, of [Read more]

kakashi -

Thanks for responding!

I agree with what you've written here. I assumed as much, that some go in with a plan while others don't.

I wonder about the interpretation part though. ...... The idea of interpreting. As weird as it may sound, but how do we know that a writer wants anything interpreted?
I mean, perhaps Shakespeare just wanted to write about a king and his daugher, with a little palace intrigue thrown in, nothing more, nothing less.

haha, possible, but then, he's dead and can't complain :D

I guess as soon as people turned literary and/or art interpretation into a profession, it was out of the question that interpreting is good and necessary and enriches out understanding of things. If it is well done, I also like it a lot. You get so much more out of it if you think about it in-depth

since I am also writing at the moment, I can say I had just one character and it was pretty vague. then I thought the character should be paired up with a partner. I was thinking Mulder and Scully as my ideal type of partnership, except reversed. plus one being a supernatural creature, or well, just an animal. and then it went from that. like a puzzle. generated very different ideas, did not know where each should go. then I came upon some locations. and then side characters got more flesh... tried to put it together, rearranged. now I sort of have the story but it is still quite messy. Iponder about wording and some turning points... anyway since it is only my second time, first being a 30-page story, I dont know....
LOADS OF RESEARCH. about every little thing. from motorbikes to medic [Read more]

People don't realize how much nonfiction and research authors have to do in order to write.

I spend a lot of my time on psychology, watching documentaries, reading history, reading about various arts, trying various arts, to asking what seems like really dumb or inane questions. Why am I nerd? So I can write that one scene, so I can surprise that one person on the other side of the page, so I can make fun of the science generally used...

If you ask a writer about what they are writing and where they got their information, it's always longer than you think.

Currently my research is about 4 times the size of my actual book and I wish there was more available.

Inane things like the color of the soil in various places, smells, which direction the breeze blows, etc are all writer co [Read more]

LOL; yeah, exactly. Like I asked a friend of mine who lives in south Estonia, run downhill and calculate his speed so I could see if he can outrun a hand-started Morgan 3-wheeler from 1926 when it goes free gear downhill. and I did some research on the equipment actual modern ghostbusters use. and on the hallcinogenic effects of swamp plants.
It feels endless. and now the play with synonyms and expressions drives me nuts!!!!
but it is also so much fun.

In Literary interpretation there are several fields. One is reader-oriented. One is History-oriented. One is Author-oriented. (I might have forgotten one)

Most HS classes, particularly in the West do reader-oriented and stop. I always found that treatment kinda dull because you never read anything the writer or the people at the time thought about the writing at all.

I'll say this jokingly, but the one that's reader oriented and reported to be "correct" and the only correct one I thought was either out of sheer laziness and also kind of a classroom dominance thing. (I know more than you.) I always found it dull.

It's because the other two you need to as a teacher find new material to discuss and prove points.

Because of that, I never liked literature class and pretty much rebel [Read more]

Nothing will beat my old English teacher when it comes to over analyzing a text, be it a novel, an article or a short story. And if you interpreted it different from her, then you were wrong.

This is an example of her: We'd put on an audio of a shot story; "There was a house on top of a green hill" *stop* "So class, what do we know so far? And don't state the obviose, you have to use what is in the text and still see the further intent!" ... Yeah... (and no that is not an exageration. Most we got through any text before she paused was 2 lines, and that cause the sentence was long..)

I remember what Edward Albee said about this. Some reviewer came up to him and said something like, "I love this play how you do this and this and how you make this subtext and that theme and how you bring in the spiritual aspect etc."

And after hearing all that, Edward Albee said, "That's in there? Wow! See, I get to take credit for that!"

Another famous writing phrase is: "I write in order to discover what's on my mind. I write to see what it is I want to say."

I think it's a combination. Writers write as the story leads and the story has its own rules and subtexts. The writer starts the story with a general idea of what the story wants to do. By the third or fourth draft the writer finally figures out what has psychologically, societally, spiritually, been on her mind...in a [Read more]

I Can Hear Your Voice is definitely outlined. Most of the Korean industry thrives on writers who outline well. You can tell by things such as the beats are too clean to have been done on the fly, or that a pivot point was exactly halfway.

I've noticed writers who outline poorly, or do things more on the fly don't tend to survive well.

Hong Sisters outline too. The other ones outline a little more strictly since their event beats are really spot on in the structure and timing. (The Other Hong Sisters sucked at it at first, though, since the first show they did, Over the Rainbow, was filled with lots of disconnected events and lots of WTH...)

So there are pluses and minuses to outlining, hitting sign posts and also improvising. No one method is right or wrong...

I never outline and I've done well. ;-) But I definitely do live in the created world. If one outlines, it's best to outline after the third or fourth draft. If one doesn't outline, it's best to put away one's manuscript for about 3 months everytime one has finished a draft. That's how i do it. Then one can return to one's story with fresh eyes and say, "What the heck did I do? WTF was I thinking of when I forgot to do this or when I did that?" Having great beta-readers doesn't hurt either. My beta-readers and critters have never let me down.

I did outline, as in put the different ideas in a remotely logical order, but once you start to expand them, sometimes they dont fit any more so I put comments like "two paragraphs down?" etc. but I know my frame, for part I as well as parts I to IV.

I think more than story outline I put more effort into fleshing out the main characters. they really feel alive now and I dont have to think twice what they would do or how they would say something in any given situation. They have their own manner of action and I think my main goal is for them to have fun and adventures. and to grow attached of course, lol.

I usually improvise or hit sign posts (10 miles until they have the point of no return). Outlining is a chore, but I also do it sometimes.

But the Korean industry can't do without outlining since they are trying to write to a schedule which is something outlines can help one with do efficiently and well.

But I assert again, there is no right or wrong way, just that some creative places will require one type of writing over another.

kakashi, redfox, KimYoonmi, Manin and Carole -

So many thanks to you guys for taking the time to share your opinions and for giving us (or me, at least) a little view into the writer's world.

All of you touched on points I've often wondered about. It turns out that a couple of things I've always suspected to be true, actually are. I knew it! :)

As someone who writes and someone who analyzes everything, my first response to the question is did the writer intend symbolism, meaning, themes, etc., that"we" the reader, or viewer, or analyst, see in the work, is yes. Sometimes writers do not even realize it as they are writing, it is a result of stream of consciousness.

Then I recall Flannery O'Connor's response to a question about meaning and symbolism, specifically the significance of The Misfit's black hat in "A Good Man is Hard to Find." O'Connor said, "To cover his head."

Though, sometimes readers are dense too. =P True that 99.99% of the time it's the writer's fault. But sometimes you get a twit that likes early Freud a bit too much and thinks everything relates to sex no matter what you're writing. Or they ask in test, "Where is X" when the sentence is one before their comment.

Or you put something in more than 3 times, make explicit scenes explaining it, making it the pivotal point and people miss it. (Pacing can eat foreshadowing--at least in the West. >.<;; In the East it seems different...)

Reader isn't always King. It's worth it to look at all three treatments and read some critics too. Also, if it's set in say, Japan, to read about Japan in the time period. The point that the reader goes, "Where are the samurai?" [Read more]

oh my gosh! So true!!!! Dense readers! Folks addicted to some school of literary criticism! Folks who are addicted to pure adrenalin and who don't want to think. Folks who have a deep-seated prejudice against the race, age, sex, religion, class of the writer! Those folks...aaargh! Hard to listen to them. I remember hearing some professors explaining why certain writers such as Keats (because of his class) or Yeats (because he was Irish) were still not accepted in England as great authors...or were routinely pulled down. It's odd.

There is one girl right now on the internet who seems to get incredibly nauseated by romantic relationships between older and younger lovers. She declares she hates BIG and IHYV and posts love scenes from dramas where an older actor is kissing a young actress [Read more]

Thanks for reminding me about Heo Joon. I really have to return to that. It's just the catching up that seems so dang formidable.

It goes fast and it gets more and more feminist as it goes, which surprised me. The current episodes show the darker side of Joseon for women and do it with a really nice hand instead of brushing it over like many of the other dramas I've seen.

Also, it oddly gives justification for some of the actions of the mother we don't like in the show by showing the things Heo Joon's mother has to endure. i.e. why one is so fixated on ones son... and what that meant so much. Which I've never really seen subtly put into a Joseon Sageuk so much before.

60 episodes time wise, though it says 120... Does not fall apart like Lee Soon Sin

I agree here with Heo Jun. I have been watching it steadily from the start and I have not found it to drag at all. Easy to watch.

I might use the weekend to catch up on Heo Joon...after I catch up on Blade and Flower. Thanks, Kimyoonmi-shi and Waiting.

Good Morning, My Wondrous Beans!

It’s so hoooooooooot I can’t staaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it ok whining over. But it’s miserable here. I’m a pale, puffy person. I do not naturally occur in the tropics, so this is an unhappy time for me.

Did you watch Cruel City this week? I can’t stand waiting for the next week’s episodes, it kills me. Every week it just gets worse. Especially now with secrets getting revealed or almost revealed in every scene, and people are starting to die more frequently – the intensity is ramping up, if that’s even possible. I watch the whole hour with my heart in my mouth, every time.

Cyrano is over…my poor Master. Such a good ex-gangster, I will miss you and your minions. And I will miss Seo Il Rok and his minions as well! The kidnappin [Read more]

WHAAT?? Today will show the last episode of Tokyo Kissu??!! I is sad... :(

I really enjoyed that show. They should do a season two. I think more shenanigans happen after they both get married and Naoki becomes more open.

Loved the special YT episodes for Playful Kiss :) That kind of thing?

I liked the youtube version 100000 times better than the tv version!

This season ends with ep16. There is supposedly a season 2 in the works to pick up the rest of the original manga story. I am pretty sure that one reason they did not want to go into anything seriously sexy - like the honeymoon - is because the heroine is only 16 and they did not want to risk crossing any lines in the laws concerning minors.

Gosh!!! m in NYC and its suposed to feel like 110 today...like WTF...kill me now!!! I have a five minute walk to work and i die...and its at like 8am in the morning!!! How its 90 degrees at 8am someone's gonna have to explain to me...its ridic!!! My friend said her flats started melt on the sidewalk...thats cray cray!!

Look at it this way - at least we're not shooting a drama in this heat, which is how I think it was when they shot Coffee Prince.

I flew to Florida yesterday. It's supposed to be a high of 85 today, unlike 98 in Philly. So happy to be here!

Wishing you lots of long, cool drinks!

*waves to OMG* I'm in NYC too and dying from the heat, day to night. It's really unbearable but when I think of the people in other countries or states living in even hotter conditions, then I try to minimize my complaining, lol.

Happy OT Joanne!

I love IHYV. *spoiler* Love the interaction between them when she confesses to liking him. Omg, the kiss, that happy grin on his face. (Sigh) such cuteness... If he was next to me, I'll give him a smooch too. Lol

CV, stranger! How's Mom?

Yes, I would kiss that pretty face too, he's such a sweetheart. And he's so tall and lanky - do you notice how his arms wrap around her? Long limbs for the win!

Mom is doing better every day. Thanks for asking. :)
Oh yea, love his form. Hehe
Is LJS close to or over 6 feet? For a tall lanky man, he looks good. I want to see more skinship aka holding hands/kissing between SA and HS before the end of the drama.

He's 6'1'' - I looked it up the other day because he just seems to take up so much ROOM when he lounges around with his long arms and legs.

He's slender, but he's so broad shouldered that I think when he comes back from the Army we are going to die from the manly manliness of that kind of tall and broad physique. It's not even about muscle because not everyone has to be rippling or all that cut, you know? But he will just naturally fill out as he gets older.

Oh noes... I don't know if I can handle when he comes back from Army.... I might melt and not be able to re-solidify. *starts looking for a cute jar to be housed in*

katmoo! too funny the imagery!!

second more skinship b/w SH& HS & raise the bid by "shoulders!"

hello, my love. Just remember: I'm always right.
Apart from that: I am glad the heat here is somewhat bareable. I am leaving for the mountains tomorrow, where this kind of summer weather is just glorious and wonderful and I will hike, hike, hike, until I drop dead!

I'm completely ok with Seol-Chan staying after with you. Just remember Sun-Woo is mine!! Mine!!! I call dips & licked him already ( well that might have been the screen) oh & my Chaim extends to whatever character he plays in Heirs :)

MariD...that is plain selfish! But, I understand completely. :)

I've seen a couple of people say that Cruel City is fizzling out- for me it is the opposit. I think it's getting interesting and I'm not really sure what is going to happen.

Me too. I see some faults, but overall I think it's quite exciting.

Yeah, same here, Heartless City is getting more exciting for me... I think Jung Kyung Ho's acting was awesome in this week's episodes and Soo Min is pretty kickass too. I loved the scene in episode 15 when SH found out that SM knew KM... broke my heart, and the song that was playing was perfect.

I just saw the last episode of Tokyo Kissu. It felt so rushed! I will not say anything else in case others have not seen it, but I personally did not like it.

It was rushed in a couple places, I agree. But the scenes we were waiting for - if you, like me, are a fan of the drama in other versions - were exceptionally well done and very emotional.

JoAnne, i just realised you're watching Smile, You! are you watching hard-subbed or with soft subs? and if the latter, may i know where you got the soft subs from?

I wondered about the same! How can I get more Baksa when CC is done? Smile, You seems a good idea but it's hard to find. Also, how can you watch the same guy in opposite roles at the same time? It would drive me crazy! Finally I'm only watching CC lately because JoAnne recommended it on come past OT so thanks JoAnne! I love it even though I wish it made sense eheheheh.:)

I'm glad you like it, because I'm NUTS about this show. Well I say that, but all I do is watch it. Ok and squeecap it. But I don't go hunting BTS or stills or any of that stuff and I know a lot of people do that when they are really into a show.

I'm watching hard subbed, streaming - sorry! I don't do any of the downloading thing but I know there's people here who do so maybe someone knows where to find it.

OHAYO! Happy Friday beanies!

Been having a wonderfully sunny, yet slightly to warm week off from work to visit a friend (but seriously, how will I ever survive in Asia when I can't handle the heath in Norway?!) So not much attention was given to dramaland I'm afraid.

However I did manage to finish Mia Taeng: original ending for the second lead. And Sasha remains the most awesome person in that drama!

Also looking forward to the new batch of coming drama's, and going to start Bu Bu Jing Xin tonight. Also need to catch up on Monstart and Izurna na Kiss (I can never remember how to write the title).

Hoping that I can find "Grandpa's over Flowers" subbed somewhere and that Girlfriday and Javabeans will continue their recaps off the show. While we are on the topic: What would be [Read more]

How is the weather in Norway right now? Day after tomorrow we are heading for south-east Sweden and are open to cross the border a little later. But I've been to Norway before during summer and we had constant rain and 13 degrees Celsius, so I'm cautious.

Haha, that sounds like Norway indeed! It's warm and sunny down south in Norway at least. 20 degrees Celsius in Oslo today. A bit colder and rainy/cloudy up where I live.

Where in Sweden are you going?

Where ever the weather is good. :D

We are thinking about driving along the east coast and checking out Gotland. As we love to canoe we might cross over to the area of Arjang / Arvika in Värmland. We canoed there already during some trips. Oslo is pretty close, and we'd like to show the kids the Oslo sound leaving the city with the ferry. We did it once during sunset and it was breathtakingly, almost kitschy beautiful.

Where do you live?

Sounds like a fun trip :) I hope for your sake that the weather stay's nice :)

I live in Tromsø, which is up in the north. so currently having the midnight sun shinning, or its light as the sun is hiding behind clouds atm xD

Oh, you are way up North! :O

During my university days we had some Norwegian students writing their theses at our uni. They always joked that everything North of Trondheim should simply been cut off the country. Guess this included Tromsø. ;)

Haha yes that very much includes Tromsø (we're about 1 hours 30 min + something North of Trondheim. 16 hours drive in a car with no stops, nice weather and little to no traffic) :p We have the annoyance that everything goes on down in the south (including a very dodgy case where Tromsø was picked to be Norway's Olympic candidate. Which was then heavily protested against and walked away from. And then a year later they decide to apply with Oslo instead...) .

But yeah jokes like that sometimes goes both ways, also because most of the fishing and oil resources in Norway lay North of Trondheim ; )

Take revenge. Cut off the South! :P

Tokyo Kiss - Although I know Naoki is struggling with his decision, I still don't think he deserves Kotoko. Or I want him to grovel for at least 5 episodes to make up for it. But since today is the last episode, and we all know what the conclusion is, that's not gonna happen. Boo.

Heartless City - Anxious to see how the reveal plays out now that Soomin/Baksa know who each is. I liked Soomin more in these last two episodes than I did before - the post-drugging scene had good acting/makeup and I actually felt really sad for Soomin. BTW even Jin-sook recognizes the SooxBaksa ship! Hehe. Also, anybody feel for Scale? In one show, he's getting his throat slit open, and in the other, he's dying of a terminal illness + he spent 26 years in jail for a crime he didn't commit.

IHYV - I LUV YOU [Read more]

Kiss in Tokyo: I don't think he has really deserved her in any of the versions I've seen. However in this one you can actually see that he at least cares a bit for her/confines in her. (I'm running a couple of episodes late though..)

I started disliking him for Kotoko in the latter part of episode 14 and the entirety of episode 15. Before that, I definitely agreed with you.

I don't quite remember how the arranged marriage played out in other versions (it's been a while) but I do know I never shifted from the main OTP. I think there are two reasons why I did now: 1) I like Kotoko better. She's not as dumb and she considers life decisions independent of what Naoki is planning to do. In other versions, I was always pretty annoyed at "Kotoko" so while the sadness was sad, I never felt it as strongly. 2) Kin's character is also done better here and they've built the friendship quite well. He's not as exaggerated and ridiculous as I found him in other versions.

So in a way, it's a merit. I like the character portrayal [Read more]

I feel like I like "Naoki" the least in this version, mainly because of the arranged marriage. I think he handled it much harsher than in other versions. It's kind of sad because I liked this Naoki better than the other versions before that.

I agree that "Kotoko" is more layered than she was in other versions. The obsession with Naoki was beyond the point of annoyance in other versions, but I found that Naoki was more relatable than annoying (but still sometimes annoying, lol).

I'm still sad that it's almost over, as I want to see more story.

For me, I liked this version of Naoki so much, that I felt more betrayed with the arranged marriage this time around. And I agree with you about Kin; he is so awesome in this version! He feels more deserving of Kotoko than in other versions. It's like with Pretty in Pink; Ducky was supposed to end up with the girl, but the chemistry with the actors wasn't there so the ending was rewritten. So then John Hughes redid the story in Some Kind of Wonderful, and the best friend got the guy:-)

@ On a QIHM High : I so agree with you about Kotoko being much better in this version. She has a backbone, and I loved that they nipped some of the lovesickness tendencies in the bud.

Kin-chan is just awesome. I really like this version of him especially as you can tell they they are proper friends before anything else. And his character isn't just an attachment into it but has an actually function.

I haven't seen properly how the arranged marriage plot plays out, but it has always been an side I don't like in it. And I must admit I've always wanted there to be a "true" rival for him. As much as I like Kin-chan he has never moved her that way for Naoki to proper worry about him taking over (also since Naoki witnessed the early confession where she told him he was just a friend to [Read more]

I think it was the Taiwan version that I totally gave up on, because the Kotoko character was just over the top nutso and shallow, to the point of being a psycho-stalker. I like the character in this version better, but I still have my issues with the idea that her whole life is built around "HIM".

i feel for Scale! i didn't like him in the beginning, but after he started helping Shi-hyun out, he seemed much nicer and mellower. props to the actor who played Scale!

the Shi-hyun + Soo bromance is still awesome sauce. i hope they ride off into the sunset together (unlikely, but one can hope).

About Scale, definitely. I really felt for him as his last words were "Take care of my son".
It's funny how at the start, I thought he was the big bad guy when the big bad guys are actually... well, not him really.
The police was all about Scale when really, there's this huge organization behind him which he's part of.

Why do I feel like there's going to be more and more deaths in Cruel City?a

oh more deaths is a given, it's that sort of show. i would be surprised if Shi-hyun didn't die at the end of it all. but they haven't killed off the only person who should be killed off, which is bird-brain Soo-min.

Happy OT!!!

So, I took the plunge this week…. I started a blog. I’m super excited. I hope that some of you will at least check it out and give me some feedback! *shameless plug*
Now, what I watched this week. I am kind of sad that today is the last day for Mischievous Kiss: Love in Tokyo. At least I still have Monstar to look forward to on Fridays. I am a little worried that they have pushed the big reveal out so close to the end. I mean it is the last episode and the OTP isn’t even together yet!
Monstar…. FINALLY! A kiss. Good grief, I was starting to get really annoyed that they hadn’t told each other their feelings. Though, this next episode could be a bit sad. Lots of hearts being broken…. Just with the fangirls.
I re-started watching I Can Hear Your Voice. I am goi [Read more]

katmoo -

Congratulations on starting a blog.

Congratulations on your blog!!!!!!!!

congrats on the blog! I'll have to follow you =)

Congrats on starting a blog. I feel like Dramabeans is such a site that it makes all Kdrama fans want to start their blogs full of their own opinions. Same with me except I'm too lazy so it all just stays in my head, LOL.

Welcome to drama blogging, katmoo! I started one about a month ago and I think what Daydreamer said is spot on about this site wanting to make us all start our own drama blogs. :) I love checking out other drama blogs around here. Have fun with the 30-Day challenge!

Congrats! I will check it out!

Hello everyone!!! Its been such a long time from OT for me….a few updates: started third year of medical school which means I’m working in the hospitals now, which also means I work during the OT hours so I may not be able to post on OT!...maybe during lunch break I can sneak in a few words here and there…there’s still studying in third year so studying + work = less time for Kdramas…but not no time though…hahaha! I will always make time for the Kdramas…even if that means less sleep!!!
I now live in NYC, the city that never sleeps and boy that’s not a lie! I awoke in the middle of the night to sleep and it was just a loud at night as it is during the day! I love living in NYC…I never get bored cause I can just up and walk around and find a place to hang out or do things [Read more]

Wow, medical school! I am in awe!

I couldn't do anything closely related to people's lives. The sheer stress and the panic that will happen when something goes wrong will eat at me. I can just imagine myself tripping over some wire feeding the ICU machines and going "OMG, DOC, WHAT DO I DO????"

So, I really respect all doctors and medical students.

Good luck with your third year! :)

Hi OMG! Happy OT! Wowser, you sure are busy with school. Good luck!
As for drama watching, should start IHYH if you haven't yet. Omg, it's soooo good with cuteness overload. Let's jusy say, writer better write a happy ending for SH and HS. Hehe
Oh yea, can't wait for masters sun either. Looks good and creepy.

OMG -

How fantastic that you're in NY starting your 3rd year! Glad you'll be able to join us, if only briefly, on OT during breaks. Good luck with everything!

Yup, I shipped the secondary couple in MoH so much I used to watch the show raw just to see whether they have any scene at all in that episode or not :)

Hi Everybody!

I hope everyone is doing well today.

A couple of things to mention today. ..... To start things off, I have to say that I'm a little upset over what I discovered this week while Kdrama-watching. Prior to watching episodes 3 and 4 of Shark, I read over the recaps. I usually don't read the recaps before episodes are shown, but I did this week. ...... Later, I tune in to KBS when the drama starts. As I'm watching, I notice that something is off, not quite right. I immediately catch what it is. I said to myself, "Wait! Where's that one scene I read about earlier?? ...... A bit later I'm like, "Wait a minute! What happened to that other scene where so-and-so has that conversation with that other person?? I read about it in the recaps!! Where is it??" ...... The point is, [Read more]

As far as I know there are no cuts on places like DramaFever or GoodDrama for the episodes. However, If you are watching on a TV channel, most countries/regions seem to stick to a one-hour time slot, and that means that about 5 minutes has to be cut from most K-dramas.

that's really silly. I wonder why they r doing that...

Windsun, OMG -

Yes, it's a shame this is happening. It does appear that for a regular TV channel, KBS has decided it will stick to a strict one-hour drama showing, regardless of an episode's true running time.

Again, that's too bad because both MBC and SBS have managed to commit to drama showings of a little over an hour (or sometimes an hour and a half) in order to accomodate both the entire episodes and commercials, at least in the time that I've been watching.

Hiiiiii

Completed Dating Agency Cyrano and I'm already missing it a lot.....LOVED it ♥

Also finished Secret Garden.....it was funny with awesome acting from Hyun Bin and Yoon Sang Hyun....but there was no emotional connection and it had very little heart....

Planning to take a short break from dramas....need to study for an imp exam.....

Waiting for Master's Sun..Heirs...Answer Me 1994 and Two Weeks...

Will marathon Nine..Monstar and IHYV

Gonna read The Great Gatsby...also watched a movie called Penelope...it was good :-)

Hello! ^^
This is kind of weird, but I recently marathon-ed Nine, I am starting to read The Great Gatsby, and I loved Penelope so so much. Mostly because I love anything with James McAvoy. He's so good looking in it! Hehe.

Oh I also started Monstar yesterday ^^ It's cute so far!

Wow.....now that is called coincidence :D

Yessss....James McAvoy is so handsome ;)

Stuck at a awkward family dinner .escaping the crazy here .
happy OTing

I is here to give you strength and willpower to endure it through. *Fighting* You can do it.

thank you!! Stuck with family I don't know and go on their phone only. So I was like well in that case I am taking mine out