Open Thread #341

Analozik – “Another Silly Love Song Part 2” [ Download ]

Personal: I collected 200 dollars for the website polyglit.com. I made the press release, etc. Trying to get a donor list, get 1,000 dollars and then hit up various places with my press release.

Dramas
The Korean dramas airing right now aren't catching my interest.

Witch's Romance: Not a fan of remakes.

Big Man: Another drama about OMG the poor adopted people portrayed badly. NOOO.

Then you have the "affair" dramas/movies, and no. Least favorite theme ever. Kinda wish I knew what social movement caused this sudden surge, though.

The TW dramas aren't inspiring me either, since they aren't pushing the envelope and one scenario looks a ton like the others.

This leaves me with J-dramas. Of which I think Alice no Toge is the best of the lot. Revenge and though I've seen the premise tons of times, it's the stellar actors that draws me in.

Shinigami-kun also ranks up there for me.

Watching Smoking Gun as well.

Also, silent poor.

Of those, I would probably recommend Shingami-kun and maybe Alice no Toge. (I separate what I like and what I recommend.

This drought of dramas, though, I'm taking it really hard. I'm starting to have dreams and fantasies of the perfect K-drama with all the trappings I want. And my Korean is sliding away. And no Running Man to tide me over. andwaeeee. And then I had a momentary lapse where I forgot that Chinese movies end sadly. Can someone mop me up off the floor?

Mildly interested in Anticipate Marriage. And also Discovery of Dating. Still waiting for the next Hong Sisters' drama. I like my rom coms and delusions of Jaebeol. (And the people in my Korean language class know it with the sentences I come up with.)

Korean language note

Learned how to be sarcastic in Korean. Only used with close friends.

닌는다 (고하) 든지 form in Korean.

It's a kinda "Whatever" type of brush off.

So example:

내남동생 든지 잘 해둔지 못하든지 나는 정말 관심 없어요.

"I have no interest in Whether my younger brother does well or does badly."

Whether or no form. You wouldn't say this kind of thing to elders though.

The vocab should be easy, so you get a sense of how it's used.

my resolution this week ... only korean shows. no more english. i too fear losing my korean listening skills if i don't find time to watch dramas.

I usually tend to avoid Japanese revenge dramas but I watched the first episode just to try it out and I was hooked.Juri Ueno was so good!!! It was hard to believe this is the girl who played the role of Nodame Cantabile.

The stories in Shinigami Kun are really heartfelt and soulful.

You should see Ueno-san in Ueno Juri to Itsutsu no Kaban--it shows her acting range. But in this, she's really showing she has acting chops. There are subtleties to her performance that shows she really deserves the role. I think if not for the actors, I probably wouldn't watch Alice no Toge

Skip Beat! The drama... I think she would make a perfect Kyouko... she has the acting range--she can play lovey dovey, and then cold and dark and revengey. (I have fantasies of a Japanese version of Skip Beat). She's definitely near the top of the list.

Same here.I wouldn't stick to Alice no Toge if weren't for her.I will watch Ueno Juri to Itsutsu no Kaban.Thanks for recommending.

Japanese version of Skip Beat starring Ueno Juri ! Ah it really sounds tempting!

what? what? japanese version of skip beat? and i didnt know? for real? i have to check it out!!!

oh dear, re read the comment about skip beat. yes, I feel sad now thought it already existed... I really want a remake, wonder how a korean version of it would be like....

I was thinking about starting Shinigami-kun but not seen any reactions to it yet (also lagging behind on drama watching atm).

Just out of curiosity; what would be your perfect kdrama?

Right now I miss the wacky Rom com, wacky does not mean "illogical" though. As in the plot makes no frickin' sense. Wacky as in the humor can run on many levels, and might seem overblown, but is undercut by heartfelt moments and timed realizations that give sweeping feelings. They might make you think as a secondary, but it's not the main function. (KES tends to run towards the main function is to make you think) Hong Sister's dramas tend to run this way. I do like layered experiences and ones that challenge drama norms, especially love subversion and meta. (Like the potato in Greatest Love... the poor potato!!!)

I believe if I understand correctly, this is one of Javabeans favorite genres too.

Shinigami-kun is really good. It plays on your expectations, deals with death, but has humor to it. And since it's Japanese style of death, there is more about understanding the person rather than dead people are diseased and troubled look from the West.

Ohno is also perfect for the role. He plays a deadpan character, but has impeccable comedic timing too. There are moments where I laughed out loud even though he wasn't *trying* to be funny as a character--straight man playing is difficult, and he does it so well (In addition to the deadpan). The series also runs warm and fuzzy so far with some good humor about death that don''t turn towards dark humor.

I like the general theming-- but there is only one episode out. From the subtle directing, the good writing (non live shoot system), I'm pretty sure it'll have a solid landing for an ending. (J-dramas you have to be careful about romances, but this one isn't one. So the tone should be consistent throughout.)

I get what you mean. I do miss having a wacky (though as you say not illogical) fun show to watch, rom-com or not.

Shinigami-kun is definitively on my list now. I've seen some of Ohno's other shows and the guy have a knack for playing straight in roles that otherwise would have come across a lot different.

Funny, I was just trying to watch ep 2 of Shinigami-kun but it was slow downloading so I came here for a while. Personally I like it. It is whacky but has heart.

This drought is giving me the chance to catch up on older dramas I never watched or finished. It's even better because I don't have to suffer waiting a week, just have to suffer waiting a few seconds!

Hi HI Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii My Wondrous Beans!

Too many puppies in my life right now!

Watching: it would be easier to say what I'm NOT watching...which so far...is there something I'm not watching?

Totally in love with Park Seo Joon and Aaron Yan right now. Also Lee Seo Jin, also Kang Ha Neul, also Kim Myung Min...it's ridiculous. My ovaries are begging for a break.

Nah.

Don't forget your Luscious, Seo Kang Joon.

And Kim Myung Min is NOT a puppy, JoAnne. He's more of a hamster, the way his cheek is bulging and seems to be hiding a nut or two...

I was only listing my loves from currently airing dramas...I'm sure I missed some. But you're right, Kim Myung Min isn't a puppy at all. He's a growly lion, isn't he. Man, I love his voice.

Wait, where are you watching Kang Ha Neul right now?!

My little sis loves him. Maybe if I show her another KHN drama, I can pry her away from the tight grip that EXO has on her heart...

He is the young lead in Angel Eyes, so he's in the 1st two episodes, and then he's in flashbacks in later episodes. And it was an INCREDIBLY sweet 'first-love' story. Even if she doesn't watch the drama, she should watch the 1st two episodes.

Ok. Will get her to watch it. Thanks Jo. :D

Joanne, your Kang Ha Neul description is getting me excited!

Oh, you were talking about someone else. Never mind.

Puppies everywhere! (and one small kitten prince in Hongki although that's sadly ended).

I just started watching the older episodes of 1n2d on youtube and wow, I really really get why Seungri got the puppy nickname..

Manin, Have you seen the 4 Hangul lessons by Hongki and they FT Island boys? It's calld Hangul Live with FT Island. Supposedly there is a year's worth of lessons coming, but the first month's lessons youtube links are on my website for your Hongki viewing pleasure :) They are really adorable 4 minute lessons.

Oooh~ now THAT is a very smart idea! :D

Getting a dose of your bias/idol/Oppa AND learning Hangeul at the same time!

(I'm surprised SM did not come up with this idea haha)

Owl - Oh i haven't heard about this! I really like FTIsland So gonna try and check this out. Thanks for the heads up!

(though I should be spending more time improving my chinese over korean...)

Ha! Kitten prince describes Hongki perfectly.

It does! Think it was JoAnne or Shuk (someone from the squeecap gang anyway) that started using the nickname and it just instantly stuck for me.

I like Aaron Yan a lot too. So, so cute.

I didn't even notice he was the cameo guy I crushed on in They Kiss Again (ISWAK 2) until JoAnne mentioned it in Shuk's squeecap. :D

Mary -

Sad to say I didn't either. Happy to say I intend to track down those ISAK episodes and watch them again.
:-)

Wait.. He appears in They Kiss Again? where? I've seen Aaron Yan in another show and never clicked that he was from there!

That's what I said, when JoAnne mentioned it!

It Started With a Kiss

he's apparently the rich kid boyfriend of one of her two buddies.

Happy new month everybody,how have you all being? I can't believe I've not posted in the OT for over a month I've so busy with school work especially on fridays,hope you all have being well.currently watching SLA:that drama is just so awesome,I get scared for them all the time esp when they are together but still I want them together all the time and I keep wishing the husband would stop sneaking around trying to catch his wife in the act,my moral compass keeps poking me whenever I'm enjoying this drama even though I try so hard to tamp it down,and I have every intention of sticking to the drama through to the end. King of baking,Tak gu:I went into this drama for yoon shi yoon(I hope I got that right) I got tired by ep 5 and just ended up fast forwarding the rest,I don't understand how the drama got such high ratings,for some weird reason I don't just like Joo Won(I've seen him in on L7CS and KOB) he looks like he's scowling all the time and just can't bring myself to like him and eugene was just annoying my soul all through the drama.I just have to say I prefer Me too flower to this annoying KOB. Moon embracing the Sun:watched this a while back and had not gotten the chance to rant about it.the kid actors were amazing,I absolutely loved the younger yeon woo(the actress is so good and had this elegance about her,though I refer to her as 'gumiho girl' cos the first drama I ever saw her in was a gumiho drama) and the child actors were amazing then switching to the older counterparts,to me woo na(the bodyguard) had the smoothest transmission(I absolutely love his quiet ways and he looked really good whenever his hair was pulled back)the most annoying was Han Ga in,imo she reduced the awesomeness of the drama because most times I didn't know the expression she was trying to pass along cos she just had this annoying wide eyed look all the time(a la Cha Eun sang) but KSH was amazing(as usual)though he looked like an errant Screaming king at times and I absolutely loved young sun(I'm sure I missed that spelling lol) METS is my first sageuk(I don't know if faith is counted as one) and I find it difficult to watch other ones especially if the king is not as good looking and everyone being elegant in hanbok as they all were in METS and if the cinematography is not as pretty,I'll just skip it.
Dramas I'm looking forward to:You are all surrounded,doctor stranger,cunning single lady(yupp I've not watched though I've read the recaps) and I just might try God's gift though I'm not sure yet. Its not easy balancing 9 university courses,1 mini project,Korean dramas,reading a manga(Hana Kimi) and reading a novel(the davinci code) all within 24 hours.I'm trying to balance it all,though most I end up sleeping off before 11pm because I'm so tired. Lastly my heart goes out to all the ferry disaster victims and the families involved,I hope they find peace and they find all the...

It's such a waste that you've only seen joo won worst projects. What about gaksital or good doctor? Sorry, as a

fangirl of JW I can't let this go.
Watching Fall in love with, cliché but strangely addictive for me. I think it's because of Aaron (kyahh!!)

So, um, yes.
Another escape to the South. Viljandi, mon amour.
Todays´ kdrama topic – and real life topic – is the word I actually heard first, well, I learned that there is a word like that at all – RBF. Or Resting Bitch Face. Seriously? It was talked about in connection with seo Hye Rim casted in Endless Love- topic. And then I come across this Buzzfeed compilation or whatever about RBF.... well, I would say I suffer from it occasionally but mostly it is the opposite. I am always grinning or giggling or humming or chuckling.... or pouring tears as a result of my wild imaginations daytrips to sorryland. I guess RBF means Resident Bipolar Fox in my case.
And on to curious letter combinations in general. You know, it is getting out of hand. Example from Tara (please don´t hold this against me!): „OB was the first drama I’d seen with him in it…so I had no idea that he played villains so well until IHYV and EK (although in EK, he was part of the TQ crew–not a singular villain as in IHYV).” Uhhh....
Every time someone talks about a drama, they don´t name it, but give you a letter combination for guessing. From GG – ok, Gods´ Gift, that´s easy – to TW – Two Weeks, though the immediate connection is slowly fading. But then who could guess R3 is actually INR3 and there are like 6 different forms for You From Another Star. MFTS – Man from the star. MLFAT. My LOVE from another star. YWCFTS. You who came from the stars. Or YFTS. You from the star. Ok, „Y” is a giveaway. But all those... AM? Well, thats Arang [and the, conveniently erased] Magistrate. 3D or TD. HD is not High Definition, but Horse Doctor. But it can also be HH – Horse Healer. Then they add letter combinations for all the actors in the dramas... JSW + LBY. CSL: AW (???) and then they replace themselves with a letter combination. And the one they are speaking to. Oh man. Soon our talk here will consist of: O, WYBSK 2 TM W Y(A)AS IS2 start? < desipher this.
This might just be my problem but my brain isn´t catching up to what all those letter combinations mean. There was a meme about a mom who thought LOL means Lots Of Love, which she posted when sending her condolences about a relative dieing: Aunt Jess died, LOL. I sometimes feel like the slang-dumb iPhone people.... I thought YOLO was one of the penguins in the Soviet cartoon Lolo the Penguin. And how the heck did they come up with lbs???? Etc., etc. (Etymologically Traceable Curiosities?) P.S. – „pregnant Santa”? I dont read it like that of course but this is how it feels when I see dramas just being letters and I HAVE NO EFFIN IDEA what drama anyone means.
Just tell me, what odd things have you ever taken some letter combination for? Had trouble guessing what it means ? Just any funny situations with either drama name letter codes or something else?

In the case of internet memes, if context cues don't work, I Google stuff I don't understand.

In case of drama acronyms, I just ask the person to make it clear. No need to stress too much about the different acronyms. :)

Then again, I always make cringe-worthy language mistakes, as JoAnne can attest to, so maybe my method isn't really a good one... I hope you understand if I don't share my mistakes here. For some reason my word choices are VERY DIRTY. *crying*

I think it's a problem of us non-native speakers being friends with native language speakers online. They see lots of double meaning in what we say. (I'm also half-convinced that all English words have a dirty alternate meaning now.........)

Oh, and your Resident Bipolar Fox story reminded me of this Tom Hiddleston meme: http://www.lolbrary.com/Funny/Tom-Hiddleston-is-the-real-Two-Face/45860

Taking "Bipolar Face" to a new level. Haha!

mary, you might be right about all english words with dirty meanings, especially when with friends whose minds go that way. i can't hear the word headlight, melon, or large tracts of LAND without blushing. 2 of any object said by a young man with intonation and hand gestures means bre*sts.

LOL I only knew about the (water)melons. Because they have the same double meaning in Filipino.

It's a landmine. O__O English is a landmine for non-native speakers!

for drama abbreviation, i stick to full name first time with abbrev. in ( ) before using in post. but i am old school. abbrev. leak from my brain quick.

I soo get you on the names (both for people and dramas) that are just the first letters! I know I'm guilty of doing it myself sometimes (mostly because I can't remember the spelling of a name and just goes JGS) But it is really confusing!

If the full name and title is mentioned at least once, and then you get the shortend version its more okay because at least you have something to go by. But when it's just a lot of (semingly) random capital letters out of no where you just feel lost.

Hey redfox,
Why would I hold that against you? I actually feel "honored" that you'd mention a "quote" from a post of mine...haha ;)

That being said...I didn't use to write my posts the way I do now. I used to write out the whole name of dramas and actors/actresses...then my posts kept getting longer and longer -- and I write a lot. To write it in a more shorthand way, I started using initials. (But alas, my posts continue to get longer and longer still! haha)

I've only started leaving comments since about mid-last year. Prior to that, I was a full-time lurker...and I got confused by postings with initials too. I always had Google and Dramawiki handy, so I'd get what they were talking about.

Now, the initial-ing has become second nature to me...so my bad if it's confusing/difficult to read my posts with so many initials :P I suppose I can tone it down a bit, but now that it's become a habit...argh, I'll try my best anyway :) Sorry for the confusion!

hey Tara, that was just a friendly example and I was actually trying to show I feel like a total dummy that I can´t follow the "code names". I am trying and trying to catch up. take it as a joke please!

Honestly, I didn't take it seriously...I know you just used it as an example. But I do know I'm not making it easy for people to read my posts, which I can understand. That's why I explained my thought process.

You know what's funny though...as I typed and posted that bit, the thought crossed my mind that all those initials was going a tad bit overboard. So you can imagine I laughed at myself when I was skimming through OT and saw that bit used as an example...

Plus, the intro bit to my reply was a bit self-deprecating on my part. I'm open to any sort of critique, good or bad :)

Waiting for You're All Surrounded right now. Nuff' said.

But not waiting a lot for Gapdongi or Witch's Romance. Gapdongi kinda slow down my expectations, while Witch's Romance is not my cup of tea.

try watching A New Leaf! I don't really like Gap Dong either, Witch's Romance is okay but what I'm looking forward most is A New Leaf :)

I was watching the pacifier(Vin diesel) again yesterday and I heard the most cringeworthy korean,here I was thinking one couldn't go wrong while speaking korean,I mean there's engrish all right but kongrish??! I couldn't decide whose korean was worse,Vin diesel's or the so called Korean neighbours

Konglish is usually English flubbed by Koreans...

Jim Carey didn't do so badly in Yes Man, though he exaggerated it a bit, but then my previous Korean teacher was helping him and showed up in the movie--if you want an example of Korean spoken decently by someone white.

I really like the sound of Korean. I think this is why I can leave a drama running for background noise.

I thought I was weird for noticing things like that and getting annoyed with hearing such butchered so-called Korean! (Plus, that "Korean" couple isn't even Korean at all...) But to answer your question, I would have to say neither.

And don't even get me started on Kongrish...! ;P

I also recently noticed the Progressive auto insurance commercial with Flo...when she's helping out an Asian couple running their food truck, the closed captioning says "speaking Japanese" when the husband is saying "hurry up and bring that" in Korean! And that was not fluent Korean either...argh :/

Just started watching " A New Leaf", so far so good! The show really starts out painting Kim Myung Min's character as irredeemable. Seriously, who takes up cases for Japanese firms trying to avoid compensating elderly Koreans for their forced labour during the colonial period???

I love Kim Myung Min so far and am really excited how the amnesia story is going to play out. I usually hate amnesia stories in K-dramas, but using it as the main plot hasn't actually been so common.

I don't love Park Min-Young yet, but I like what I see so far. I hope Jin Yi-Han has a decent role in this drama as I have fallen in love after seeing him as Taltal in Empress Ki.

I am also watching Hotel King which I do like. However, I have no idea where the plot will take us to. Lee Da Hae and Lee Dong Wook's chemistry is great as expected. And wowza, those abs at the ending of episode 6!!! I rewatched that scene a couple of times.

The thing I dislike about Hotel King is its lack of subtlety. It''s so angsty all the time, and did Lee Dong Wook's acting regress or is he being requested to make crazy/angry faces all the time?

Also following SLA.

Emmy ~

I'm liking New Leaf too. So many talented actors/actresses in this so far. Jin Yi Han is going to be in this more than just a cameo right? Kim Seo-Hyung too.

I'm saving A New Leaf for the bus ride up to New York tomorrow. Me thinks I will need it.

I hope to watch them this week. I love KMM, and the premise sounds interesting enough. I noticed I'm watching a lot more drama/melo than usual, so it will be just one more...

Hotel King is bipolar. Much like it's villain, come to think of it.

[And Prince is the worst guard dog ever, that big old softy-poo. He even ran away when his master was getting beaten.]

However, I've fallen for Im Seulong and thus can't stop watching.

I can kind of understand Mo Nae's bipolarity as a public sphere/private sphere thing. Jae Wan I don't get. He was so bent on revenge for 2 decades, then his long lost sister comes and he turns into a big puddle of goo?

I like Im Seulong here. He definitely has charisma. However, I do hope his acting improves and the makeup artists really have to go easy on Seulong's lipstick! I stopped reading the subs a couple of times because his bright pink lips were so eye catching!

lol at the bright pink lipstick. Yet, don't know what it is, but I totally fell for him.

And I can tell you as a sister of a brother, they do not turn into puddles of goo around us.

Loving "A New Leaf" as well!

First episode was great, very solid. The law/politics aspects had tension, but the episode was still lightened by some comedy. I like PMY more than I thought I would. She cracks me up constantly, and I like that she's portraying a smart character (albeit one prone to getting herself in awkward situations).

And KMM plays his role with relish, as usual.

Overall, interactions are realistic and not over the top. Evil and corruption are shown as banal. Complicity with those in power is a fact of life. None of the lawyers so far seem like terrible people: they've just sold their souls like everyone else, for money and prestige.

I'm looking forward to episode 2. I hope it shapes up to be good.

Oh yeah, I also watch A New Leaf. So far so good and funny. Actually I'm not expect it to be that funny. The drunk scene is hillarious.

Kim Myung Min is awesome as usual and Park Min Young is pretty good. Doesn't hurt too when it has Jin Yi Han. My withdrawal from EK makes me want to watch anything EK cast works. LOL

drama fever awards ceremony a big disappointment. VIP tickets that I expected would be a sit down dinner turned into standing up in the stairwell peering thru safety glass and railing and light fixtures trying to hear over the complaints of all the rest of us VIPs in heels and gowns standing so far away while $20 General Admission tickets were down on the floor near the stage. boo hiss. Drama Fever has permanently lost my support.

You are such a VIP that they were protecting you behind glass. They did not want you want to mix with the little people.

You see how I turned your disappointment into a glass half full story.lol

Hi Everybody!

Another Spring day and I hope you are all doing well. ........ The weather has been absolutely awful here! Windy and super hot! ..... M-e-l-t-i-n-g!!

Watched this week:

God's Gift - After watching eps 9 and 10, I can kind of see why this drama had that ending. ....... On another note, great fight scene on the roof!

Three Days - Glad the pace picked up a while back. ....... Really liking it so far. ....... Great fight scene in the elevator!

Time Between Dog and Wolf - Finally finished it! ....... With the little narration in the last 2 minutes or so, it was kind of uneventful, but what are you going to do, right?

Golden Cross - Checked out parts of the first 2 episodes. ....... It wasn't super awful or anything, but I think I'm going to put this on the backburner for now and check it out at a later time.

Cunning Single Lady/Sly and Single - Checked out the first 2 episodes of this also. ....... After so much melo in the last couple of months, it was certainly a different change of pace. ....... Still undecided on this one. I may need to watch a couple of more eps before I decide whether to commit to this one or not. We'll see.

Missing You - Surprisingly, this started a couple weeks ago on broadcast tv, really late at night. ....... I think it's up to ep 7 or 8, I'm not sure but it's after the childhood portion. ...... I started re-watching this. ...... I know many people didn't like it but I liked it when it first aired. ........ Reminded again that Yoo Seung-ho is so very good in this role.

Mr. Selfridge (season 2) - Nothing good could ever come from associating closely with Mr. Loxley and, uh-oh, Mr. Selfridge might find that out in the next ep. ....... Miss Towler marrying the restaurant guy? I don't know why but I'm not really sure they'd work out together as a married couple.

That's about it for now. ....... Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

Hi korfan,

I don't regret watching God's Gift - 14 Days. The awesome and heart-wrenching performances of Jo Seung Woo and Lee Bo Young made it worthwhile.

Likewise, I have no qualms about watching Three (3) Days. The acting of Park Yoo-Chun, Son Hyun-Joo, and Park Ha-Sun really anchored the drama and made it better than it would have been otherwise. All the interactions and scenes with Han Tae-Kyung and Yoon Bo-Won were definitely highlights in the drama.

You might find the following Time Between Dog & Wolf reviews an interesting read:

Currently I am watching and enjoying Golden Cross. Each episode is getting better and better.

I watched all 21 episodes of I Miss You. The drama tackled the sensitve subject matter of rape and it was far from perfect. Yet, the childhood cast of Yeo Jin-Goo, and Kim So-Hyun did a wonderful job acting wise with their characters as well as the adult cast of Park Yoo-Chun, Yoon Eun-Hye, and Yoo Seung-Ho.

Hi August ...... hope you're doing well today!

Thank you for the links. ....... It was interesting to read that other viewers asked themselves some of the same questions I did while watching Time Between D&W. ...... Sure, there were little issues here and there, but nothing that was so awful as to make the whole drama unwatchable or anything like that.

With Three Days, I'm currently fascinated by the Chairman Kim character ....... I think it's more the actor playing this role. It's amazing that it's the same actor who was the nice dad in Heirs and the wacky ex-husband in 100 Year Inheritance (yes, I watched a couple of eps of that and only then it was to see the comical antics of his Chol-gyu character!!)

God's Gift, I'm in it until the end, even though I know how it ends. ...... I just love the whole puzzle/multiple-moving-parts aspect to it ....... and honestly, I want to see how they get to that ending and what other truths are uncovered.

Like you, I also watched I Miss You in its entirety when it first aired and I liked it then and now. ....... Sure, it's a bucket of tears for the characters and understandably so, given what happened but the acting is fantastic. ....... Watching Yoo Seung-ho in this role is certainly something special.

Hi guys, first time commenting on OT. Started watching kdramas last DEC but now, they are all i watch!! Am so addicted. lol. Cant tell you how much i am anticipating You're Surrounded. CSW is like my best actor (SO HOT, My God) while i have slowly but surely come to love Lee Seung-Gi with a fierceness that takes my breath away. Maybe its because i love my heroes to get redemption in their dramas which is what happened in Brilliant Legacy and MGIAG. And also in Best Love with CSW!
Love to my fellow beanies

Nim -

Welcome to OT! Glad you could join us!

Best Love was good , wasn't it? ....... I've seen it a couple of times and it's always fantastic. ...... Glad you liked it.

Thanks Korfan.

I LOVED Best Love!! It was my crack drama. i was initially on the Pil Line in the earliest episodes but by little around the halfway mark, i had completely fallen for Dokko Jin :). That was the drama that cemented my love for kdramas.

I also really liked Master's Sun and am now eagerly awaiting the next Hong sisters drama.

Also i have 2 questions, can anyone recommend a good romcom for me to watch? It doesnt matter if they are oldies as long as they are goodies. Right now, the new shoes are all melo or thrillers which arent really my cup o ftea.

Secondly, between Dramafever and Viki, which do you recommend? I currently subscribe to DF so i can watch without adds on my phone etc but am starting to think viki might be a better option. Help pls

Thanks!

Nim -

Ah, yes, the Pil Line!! ........ Pil-joo was great.

Yoon Kye-sang was wonderful in this role, it suited him quite well.

Welcome, Nim!

Have you seen I Need Romance 3? Also, Pasta is older, but fun with Gong Hyo-jin and Le Sun-kyun. It was one of my first kdramas and i watched it a dozen times because I didn't realize there were so many others to choose from! I also rewatch Personal Taste. The db ratings list is a good reference, too.
Fighting!

Thanks Owl!

I saw INR2 and didnt really love it though i loved the male lead in NINE. I will try and watch INR3 then.

Pasta is on my need to watch list but for some reason i keep hesitating because i read some reviews that it was quite boring. I guess i have to watch it and find out for myself eh.

I will definitely check out db ratings list.

Thanks a lot!!!

Fighting!!!

Nim - Welcome to the OT! Hope you have a good time here.

Best love is a good one. And I enjoyed Briliant Legacy, but must admit that it was a one time watch only for me.

Hey Manin,

Thanks am having a great time on the OT. Its so amazing being able to converse with so many people from different and diverse backgrounds about our love for kdramas :)

Yeah the OT is quite a fun mixing ground of people. Seems scary at first but then you realize that its all friendly and nothing to be afraid off =)

Nim -

Welcome to OT. You'll enjoy the interactions for sure.
Viki / DF debate. I for one only go to DF if I absolutely have to. Their subs are sub-par in a lot of cases. Case in point: they had exclusive rights to BOTC, so the subs were coming out 3~4 days post-airing. Viki? In the majority of the cases, subtitles are out within a few hours for the popular shows, and around a single day for the less popular KDramas. Plus, they have an awesome selection of other countries.
So Boo DF and Yay Viki! lol

- As for recommendations, it you like fluff and music, I liked MNet's Monstar and it's' high school hijinks.
- And if you are not adverse to other countries, I'm seriously on the bandwagon for the currently-running Taiwanese drama Fall In Love With Me, and recently concluded recapping the Thai version of Full House. Both get double thumbs up for me.

Happy viewing!

Hi Nim,

Welcome to Open Thread. It's nice to have another fan of kdramas.

Likewise, I really enjoyed Best Love (aka The Greatest Love and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (aka My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox).

Totally in agreement with the recommendations of I Need Romance 3 and Monstar!

I recommend adding the following Romantic Comedies to your list:

Dalja's Spring
My Girl
Bride of the Century
Queen Inhyun's Man (aka Queen and I)
My Princess
Flower Boy Next Door
Let's Eat
Prosecutor Princess
The King of Dramas (aka The Lord of the Drama)
Can Love Become Money?

Thanks all!!!!
I definitely think i will cancel my DF subscription and go with Viki.

And thanks August for the recommendations, i have seen My Girl (watched most of Hong Sisters dramas except Hong Dil...,Odd Couple and Big) and i liked it.

And i LOVED QIHM. Infact, let me go rewatch it now

Welcome. Nim! I really enjoyed Protect the Boss for a rom com, and also RoofTop Prince was pretty hilarious. Both kind of faltered at the end, but that's not too unusual, I'm afraid.

Have you watched Single Cunning Lady or Emergency Couple? Both were cute romances (once you got past the first episode or two.)

Hi all:

Gotta say that some dramas are quite literally making me battle stress and I might have to just read recaps instead of watching them.

The first: Angel's Revenge:So now the baby is missing? Oh my heavens! Bad enough I was stressing about Dal Nyeo porbably being JisEok's mother and who the heck was first gonna see the picture of Little "JeonWu" with his mother that Grandma has hidden in the drawer. Ah me! And HyeonSu's probably gonna go the way of all blackmailers after Taejeong's had his fill of him. I'm also worrying for Gijin.

Then I started stressing about whether our adulterous heroine in Secret Love Affair is pregnant. I keep envisioning the end where she's on a beach, a regular mom with her little child beside her, after having idiotically nobly ditching young lover. And the end of the last episode. Aaargh.

Golden Cross is my new crack. Oh my gosh!I'm generally indifferent to villains but wow, I was so glad when our hero Do Yun clocked the bank villain. I love everything about that show. It's fast-moving, and I can actually follow the plot. Didn't think prosecutor would come face to face with that evidence so soon. Love Michael and love his secretary. Ah, if Shark had been so good!

Big Man is fun so far. So it's my second crack. It's got two of my fave actors and actress in the lead so yeah.

Am waiting for Gap Dong out of loyalty to my love, Yoon Sang Hyun. Watching Wonderful Days but really liking the non main characters love stories.

New Leaf is okay. I might drop it. Too many dramas on my plate already.

Million Seller: I loved the first song, Step by Step, best.

Loving the kbs specials and the Love & War series as always.
Have a great weekend, all.

Carole -

I checked out the first 2 eps of Golden Cross. ...... I remembered that a couple of weeks ago you mentioned the "needy villain".

Oh my goodness, he certainly is a little "off", isn't he? ....... One minute he's the upstanding executive, the next he's wielding a murderous golf club and the next he's huddled in some floor corner looking like a scared child who just broke his new toy!

Unfortunately, due to time concerns, I'm going to have to put this drama off until a later time. ....... But you were right, that's one unstable character!

yeah.. sometimes you have to put something off. It might be good to marathon in one sitting

For the first two episodes of Golden Cross, I actually forgot I was watching it and wandered off.

Later, when I was in bed, and ep 3 came out, I kind of went, what the heck, let's see what happened. Now, I'm hooked.

Although, once again, I'm disgusted by the lack of legal ethics shown even by our "righteous" prosecutor heroine in her all-women office (yeah, right).

Yeah, i know she loves her father but dang!!!! She tells everyone EVERYTHING

And there's something weird about her Daddy issues. I'm looking forward to the scales falling from her eyes, and her seeing what a horrible person Daddy Dearest really is.

PS..okay..now the second episode of New Leaf has gotten me sold. Am hooked on this as well. Strong female character.

Hi Carole ~

I am glad Million Seller was only 2 eps so it is watchable and moves along. It was fun and emotional.

I don't know what to think about Gap Dong. I'm caught up, but I'm holding out for the doctor's connection and story.

SLA - I don't see a bright spot for anyone, maybe there shouldn't be one?

yeah, i found myself wondering if there is a kind of Korean version of the Hays Code. Will the lovers be excused and forgiven by the audience? Passionate immoral love= punishment? Don't know.

Oh, there WILL be a bright spot.
The writers are not the audience. They have tried to tell us over and over how not important staying badly married is to happiness.

...and badly employed, especially when it is all intertwined.

Hi Carole,

Golden Cross is the drama that I look forward to the most each week. Each episode gets better and better.

Big Man seems to be a combination of all things - comedy, drama, or melo. Loving the chemistry between Kang Ji-Hwan and Jung So-Min. I wish the writer (Choi Jin-Won) would let their characters Kim Ji-Hyeok and Kang Jin-Ah end up as the OTP. From what little I've seen of Daniel Choi and Lee Da-Hee together as the characters Kang Dong-Seok and So Mi-Ra, it seems like they make a nice couple.

I intend to watch New Leaf over the weekend.

In GC: it'll be interesting to see the heroine change her attention to the hero. Childhood love is so hard to overturn in kdrama

Hey Carole,

You know, I have still yet to figure out whether if all the adults know if DH = aunt's bio son. Been stuck at ep14 for the past few days, but I hope to catch up on it soon.

And you're absolutely right...I'm more interested in the other couples than DS/HW. They seem so lifeless and jaded...not really main couple worthy of screentime!

I haven't watched a revenge drama since forever. I think BG was the last, especially since I hate being burned by the ending. So I didn't even think to put GC on my to-watch list. Reading your comments on it is peaking my interest to try and check it out.

I got to commend you for keeping up with a daily...the daily that I had began to watch went all crazy on me, and the over-the-top craziness was definitely stressing me out. So I dropped it like a hot potato...and I've been nearly stress-free since! ;P haha. HW's mom in WD continues to up herself on the annoying meter, but I put the volume on mute whenever she's on screen :)

GC is really just getting better and better.

Too much angst with our main WD couple.

Angel's Revenge is my big daily.

Anyone watching Angel Eyes? Wasn't a fan of the cast, so I've avoided it. But I am curious to know what people think of it!

Started this drama with very low expectation since i'm allergic to GHS, LSW i've no opinion of. Up to ep 6, im literally blowned away by both Kang Ha Neul & Nam Ji Hyun, even after the transition to adulthood they still show up so that's kinda nice/sad (mostly sad for me). If you're an easy crier, prepare lots of tissue. I stopped watching it during lunch break cos i've used the flu excuse twice to explain the splotchy eyes & nose. It reminds me of the old melos.

Love it, actually. Very sweet.

You have to get through the initial tragedy (a matter of minutes into the first episode) which looks like nothing so much as a badly done '70s disaster movie, but from then on in?

Smooth sailing, with strongly decent to seriously excellent representation by all parties, a lovely OST, and a really nice 'look' to the drama.

Seungri is comic relief and kind of funny, even.

Watching it and loving it too. I wasnt a fan of Gu Hye Sun and Lee Sang Yoon either but it is a nice surprise. It gets me emotionally invested in the characters. The chemistry between the 2 leads is just amazing.

Ditto of JoAnne's sentiments. All the characters are well portrayed and acted (so far). The pacing is nice too, not as slow as SLA.

It's great but I'm wondering how this will stretch out to 50 episodes. Aside from Lee Sangyoon's dimples, I love the fact that the writer made his romantic rival a really good guy, so far (as of ep 4) lacking in nothing. Making the rivalry so much more interesting.

The end of ep 4 when Dong Joo cries, holy cow that was heartbreaking. Great workplace banter and chemistry both at the hospital and the Firehouse/EMS center.

I made it through 32 episodes of the staggeringly boring Goddess of Fire because of those dimples, and maybe this is my reward.

will someone please explain to me the attraction to dimples? My wife too finds them "Oh so lovely" ... seriously? Really?

Logan5, I suppose the attraction is to a handsome face and dimples are just a bonus. Dimples alone wouldn't cut it. Lee Sangyoon would be good-looking without the dimples. But they sure don't hurt!

It's actually only slated for 20 episodes so it won't be too painful =) And yes!!! OMG Lee Sang Yoon's dimples!!!!!!!!! 'Nuff said <3

Whew that's a relief. I guess I assumed wknd shows are 50+. Thanks.

Still liking it!

Have to say Eps 1 & 2 remain my clear favourites so far, but by Ep 6, the plot is definitely ramping up!

I'm surprising myself, but I really like Gu Hye Sun's performance in this show so far. Jury's still out on Lee Sang Yoon...

I'm just getting confused trying to figure out the pieces of the puzzle, and who knows what, who wants what, and who's hiding what! It's a tangled web, for sure!

Ooh I wanna try listing what I watched the past week too!

- Nail Shop Paris Episode 5 (for recapping)
- Big Man Trailer (trying to spot Song Jae Rim)
- 2NE1's Go Away MV (to take screenshots of Song Jae Rim)
- Nail Shop Paris Episode 5 (for taking Song Jae Rim screenshots and making gifs)
- Big Man Episode 1, first three minutes (to watch Kang Ji Hwan beat up Mo Il Hwa and take screenshots)

:P

Bwahahaha. Yeah, my watching list was all Jo Seung Woo related as well.
I'm telling myself I need to move on but my heart keeps saying "no, not yet"

Yes, why? Why must we move on? Who says we have to? Can't we stay in love with our Oppas forever?

*hops aboard train to denialand*

Where can I find your Song Jae Rim gifs?

Mine are very crude. Just him blinking or wiggling his eyebrows. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PTwu0t6eleo/U0FGHHbmISI/AAAAAAAAAmI/PvkmPLCSCcc/s1600/nail-shop-paris-kei-wiggling-eyebrows.gif

kakashi makes most of the gifs we use in the Nail Shop Paris squeecaps here: http://dr-myri-blog.blogspot.ch/search/label/Nail%20Shop%20Paris

Uhm. WARNING. The Nail Shop Paris squeecaps are very very dirty. :/

Thanks!

I just laughed so much at SongJaeRimJob.

Got to check out the Jang Bori squeecaps too.

and I'm kinda losing my mind over the puppy in the Witch's Romance SqueeCaps...not to mention a DORKY Cutie Soo.

TS -

Mary is recapping Nail Shop Paris on kakashi's site.

Kakashi just finished recapping Age Of Feeling with plenty of Mo Il Hwa gifs and screenshots galore.

So plenty of SJR to go around! Just go the Problematic Of The Unproblematic website.

I will, indeed! I love SJR, drool.

Mary! That list is pretty much all about oppa :p Don't blame you though. Glad to see the SJR Jeobs beeing back!

Manin!!! I'm glad you're glad! :D I miss squeeing with people. Hope I can stick to a sched without getting sick again. :(

I've found a new appreciation for The Minions and recappers in other blogs. O__O So many questions.

How do they finish things in just one day?
How do they decide which details to keep in and leave out without compromising the story?
How do they stop themselves from staring at Oppa all day instead of writing words?
How are they not distracted by the urge to Google random things like "Oppa height", "Oppa girlfriend", "Oppa photoshoot with apples", "Oppa photoshoot blue shirt white stripes"???

HOW??? It's a secret of the universe.......

Aww, we missed you too! Be careful and take care of yourself, getting sick is no good. ("Drink more water!" as the chinese would say)

Haha I guess that's what makes the difference between a squeecap and a recap? ;) However I do have a lot of respect for recappers, especially at this site and similar places that gives you objective recaps.

It must take so much time and effort and even though details will always be left out you still feel that the recap tells you what you need to know from the episode (at the same time, lets you enjoy the full epsiode as well).

I've read some very terrible recaps and it just makes the good sites like DB stand out even more.

Yes, sites like DB and KP are very helpful in explaining things that are lost in subtitles and pointing out meta jokes that aren't obvious to new kdrama fans. :)

Yeah that is a very useful aspect to their recaps as well. And how they seperate the recap from their own comments as not to interfere to much.

And then you have the squeecps of fun and snark (and awesome screencaps and giffing)

Hey guys, it's been a while. Hope you're all well! I actually haven't been watching anything now that God's Gift is finished. Just waiting for Doctor Stranger and You're All Surrounded to premiere!

By the way, I felt like watching something sad today so I gave 'Always' starring So Ji Sub and Han Hyo Joo a try. And wow it was actually really good! I mean it still has those elements of a classic romance/dramatic/tragic Korean romance movie but I think the strong performance by the leads and the chemistry (omg the chemistry) between them was so great that I was really pulled into their story. It was very heartwarming and made me teary for a bit. I would recommend :)

Always is one of my favorite K movies,though it is the cliched love story the OTP was just amazing,made me a So Ji sub fan.

Yes the chemistry between Han Hyo Joo and So Ji Sub was amazing! And their 2 characters - such broken people, seeking love in this lonely world. Their chemistry was so good that there were rumours that they were dating. LOL.

Happy Friday and OT people!

How are you all? Tempratures is reaching close to 30 degrees and sunny yesterday and today. Today was spend in a park and even sunblock factor 50 (for kid!) did not saving me from getting a tan/sunburned. Summer will be interesting.

Also the 7th season of Big Bang Theory has gotten the program banned in China (as of end of last week I think). Wonder what it did, because apparently its been deemed "damaging to the people" or something like that.

Dramaland:

Heartless City: stuck on ep 14, but getting there.

Ghost-seeing detective: Wish it was a little bit longer. And the end part seemed like the main characters had a personality swap out of no where. Still I enjoyed the drama and although a lot of things doesn't really get explained it did not bother me to much.

Bu Bu jing qing: finally found someone subbing it! Hurray! Its different from what I was expected (also hello there handy selective memory loss to get away from the ban on time travel themes). Still it seems good, though I am fully expecting it to become more of an office drama +company take over taking center stage.

1n2d: started watching season 1 on the KBS youtube channel. It's strange seeing the old old old cast but also nice to see the beginning of it all (although, the episodes doesn't start at the very beginning). Also Seungri looks so much like a puppy!

Manin -

How are you? ...... It's totally sunny and hot here too! The thing is, there have been dry winds. ....... It's been absolutely miserable going outside! ........ Definitely use the sunblock!

Regarding Big Bang Theory, I haven't heard or read anything here so I have no idea why the decision was made to ban it. ........ I'm so sorry you'll be missing the show. ......... I've never watched it, but I have heard that it is funny.

Korfan-
I'm not to bad (thank god for after sun that my dad brought me. Also that's something that's really hard to find here!) Had a panicy wednesday having the parents come to the kindergarten to listen to the lessons.

Oh that weather sounds bad. It's been pretty hot and sunny here this week. A little bit of wind, but that's only provided a nice cooling movement of air.

I have watched it but more sporadically. Was going to watch it with a friend when we noticed we couldn't access it last week. Then today she told me that it had been banned and that's why we couldn't see it. No Idea as to why it was banned. I just find it a little funny.

I read about the BBT ban from this article - pretty helpful: http://qz.com/203919/why-china-is-censoring-the-big-bang-theory-but-not-game-of-thrones/

It's not about the show per se, it's about controlling the power of online TV streaming sites which stream shows like BBT, and redirecting viewership to state TV stations.

Thanks for the link! I have no idea why it was actually banned. The reason I was given was just what my friend told me.

Weather its about directing people to the state TV channel or not I'm not sure. Even the state shows are often found through streaming sites. Think I saw the spring festival gala (as mentioned in the article) through the PPT stream rather than through the TV in my friends home.

The article seems to suggest that it is also about a show of power by the state, that even though at the moment these streaming sites are safe from interference because they are showing 'neutral' Western shows, they will be subject to interference if they try and cross the boundaries set by the state.

Yeah, I do also know that the same rules apply for the local and state channels as for the streaming sites. For instance the ban on time travel effect not only western shows (No doctor who in China for those into that) but also Chinese shows themselves goes through cuts and rewritings to get around that aspect (Bu bu jing qing being an example here as a follow up to an earlier show which involved time travel but was made and shown before the ban).

I think its more aspects to it than just being a show of power, although that is an interesting point. Whoever I also know that I don't have enough knowledge on the subject.

There have been a lot of comments on Weibo about the stupidity of it all. For example, they are still showing game of thrones, but one commenter said "they cut out all the plot and just left the killing and sex in.."

Oh my! you had me trying to figure out Centigrade vs fahrenheit.

I hope the pollution doesn't come back. Keep well.

HAha, yeah I suppose 30 degrees fahrenheit is a lot colder than what celsius is :p

Pollution seems to be mostly gone at the moment which is nice. Also since it's too warm to sleep with the window closed atm!

Hi Manin!

Has the air quality cleared up? I always wonder how you are doing with that hanging over your head. I still miss your Korean Drama Toddler Style, so I keep hoping they switch your classroom again. :-D

Is there ever a 'monsoon' season there, with daily rain and such?

Hi Shuk!

How's you?
Yeah smog has cleared up for the moment, just in time for it being to warm to sleep with the window closed. Hoping it stays this way.

Haha yes, the new schedule and classes leaves little time for observing the kdrama toddlers. teaching 3 lessons in different classes means moving around and spending less time with them. It's a shame really. Not only for kdrama toddlers stories, but also for me not feeling like I can spend enough time with them to get to know the new kids the same way.

Not noticed any monsoon season where I am. This city is pretty dry all year around. When I went to Xi'an with my dad we had the most rain we have had for a couple of months in that it was rainy almost every day (but I put that down to my dad's traveling curse also not close to any form of monsoon rain).

LOL - Dad's travelung curse.

Glad you are well and healthy!
:-)

Shuk- It really is! Whenever my dad goes on a holiday (or tries to paint the house) it will rain or be cloudy for the most of the journey. Might be sunny days, but the number of bad weather days always out number them. Only exception so far has been when he went to Dubai like 20 years ago :p

Hello everyone!

Been re-watching some of my favorite scenes from Dal-Ja's Spring and wondering where the hell Chae Rim is....I mean where has she been since Dal-Ja's Spring?!!!!!

That is a good question! fI can't remember seeing her in anything else than Dal-Ja's spring. Which also makes me think that this show is overdue a rewatch..

OMG -

The last thing I saw her in was Oh My Lady with Siwon, but that was several years ago. I haven't heard of anything recently.

She's probably been pushed out of roles to make way for singer/idol actors. I don't think there is a lot of work for SK entertainers who just act, unless you're in the parent/grandparent role.

I miss seeing Chae Rim in dramas also. The following links are the most recent articles about what she's been up to these days:

Beautiful weather in store today. It has been soggy.

Finished : Empress Ki. Going to miss the gang.

Out of all the new shows, I'm enjoying New Leaf the most.

Watched True Detective. Now there's a drama about a serial killer.

Watching that show prompted me to start reading The King In Yellow.

We made a trellis out of bamboo for our cucumbers. Saw a woodpecker in the backyard. Other bird couples, (Robins, Cardinals), making nests.

True Detective is J or K?

TS ~

Actually is American. It was on HBO. I watched it on Shush.se.

Stars Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. It's well worth it if you like that sort of thing. Watched it on a dark, rainy night, lol, for full effect.

I realized after I googled the book you mentioned. :-)

Been meaning to finish True Detective, but since time is a flat circle we'll see when it happens

I am also going to miss Empress Ki. I have never watched such a long drama as it was airing before. Overall it was very good.

It was very good and has bittersweet ending that makes me cry a bucket

shame is not something i think about much. i was raised on christian guilt. but shame seems to be a part of korean culture. it is the discussion topic of a meetup of language exchange folks this week. in a culture where shame in public is a big deal, how do you create a safe place to discuss shame?

what examples of shame in dramas most surprised you?

students being hit or made to do squats or other physical torture i still find disturbing. Also mothers-in-law humilating DIL.

is shame or guilt the main motivator in your culture, or is it something else?

That MIL/DIL dynamic makes me wonder why anyone would want to marry, urgh.

I think a little shame is not a bad thing because people need internal checks against being assholes. E.g. I wonder at some of the statements on tumblr, like "[So&so kpop artist] is so pretty, I wanna punch his face, break his nose and gouge his eyes out." Whoever that is needs to step back from pulling the wings off flies, and get to a high security mental hospital.
Or learn some shame over stupid, nasty statements like that.

Totally agree that shame is needful in life. It does get warped a bit by culture but I for one would never want to have a friend who could not feel either shame or regret.

Korean culture's main cornerstone is actually something like "han" en.wikipedia[.]org/wiki/Han_%28cultural%29. Which isn't shame, but unresolved suffering. Kinda reminds me of how Irish joke about themselves. It's the same "Han" used in "Hangook" and "Hangook saram"

I've cracked jokes about it before. Han is the principle that changed the title from Les Miserables to "Jean" Valjeans". No one, absolutely no one is allowed to be more miserable than Koreans. =P (Also why melodramas are more popular in Korea)

While shaming is part of Korean culture, I think most of it comes from Confucian ideals. If you want deeper cultural roots, Buddhism and Muism will serve you better, which will tell you far more about food culture, and thoughts about how one interacts with their fellow human being. Confucian ideals came late. Buddhism came in around 400 CE. Muism predates the formation of Korean nations, as speculated by archaeologists.

I think in this case, putting it through the lens of relativism *does* help. Corporeal punishment was allowed in the US in the 1950's. MILs are painted terrible all the time in American TV. (Electra Complex--some would argue. A major feature of Western fairytales-- defeating a mother figure.)

Koreans believe by making someone do something physical, it'll focus their mind and put them in better shape. Kinda under the ideal of better body, more focused mind. (Not saying that's right or wrong), but I will say that's marginally better than spanking someone. Also the way it's done is kinda more social rather than individualistic.

When you find something odd, look to your own culture's history and recent history. Sometimes the thing that you found odd is in your own history. And if you know enough and study enough it won't come off as odd--and understanding does not mean you have to personally agree either.

Not sure..but wasn't corporal punishment allowed in Korean until just recently?

Fairytales are of the past. Dramas are of the present. And Korean dramas are full of mean MILs. I suspect there are more in k-dramas than in western dramas. The idea of defeating mother figures in fairytales pretty much is limited to false mother figures such as step-mothers, etc. In western fairytales, biological mothers are often missing. Probably because maternal deaths in childbirth was so common back in olden days and because the loss of a mother is a common fear and a common trope. Cinderella, Snow White et al...all battled step mothers or adoptive mothers, not their bio-mothers.

One western term for prison is "penitentiary" and it came from the Victorian idea that prison is where one goes to repent and learn how to live a good life. Thus, western prisons are full of all kinds of job training. Not sure if Korean prisons are like that. Probably. But am not sure those prisons are called penitentiaris. And although the life of an ex-prisoner in the US is bad, the shame goes after a while if the former prisoner goes on the good path.