Open Thread #354

B-Free – “Hot Summer”Download ]

Viki.com bug
I'm a Qualified Contributor. A new bug took off the Qualified Contributor and my vikipass. Also because of that, the website thinks that I have ad block on. I disabled it and restarted the browser. Videos still won't play. Sent in a ticket to complain that something strange is going on. Hope it's resolved soon.

Marriage, not Dating
I still love this show a lot. My personal favorite of the lot. It's easy, breezy, light, wacky, but not crazy illogical. What I asked for earlier. I wanted something fun and light to watch that was not illogical. It delivers, and has a heart, which is exactly what fills my meal ticket.

FTLY THMG version.
I love Geon. I hated the original thoroughly. In the original, I was like, "Just leave the SOB) Here, I'm so happy and am actually liking [Read more]

I enjoyed Trot Lovers until episode 10. I skipped epiosde 11&12. Freaking amnesia, istg i just want to punch Jang Joonhyun and Soo-in's ㅗㅗ face. Its so annoying to see Choon-hee get treated like crap for 2 hours ugh. Even Jaekyung oppa cant save the show from makjang-ville as his character unfortunately didnt make an appearance too much.

And for Fated to Love You.. this show is f*king AWESOME. Jang Nara plays this character SO WELL you cant help but want to root for her. And also Gun is SO PERFECT. I just love this OTP so much i was smiling the ENTIRE TIME at Episode 9 cus the amount of cuteness is just ASDHSODHSHSHSSH♡♡. And also the petty fights of Jang Hyuk x Choi Jinhyuk is the best XD. I'm going to watch episode 10 soon :3

>But those same patients whom viewers thought were strange were later perceived as sweet, helpless, and adorable

I dunno...seems to me that the characters in "It's Ok" are more along the lines of 'apparent normality with deep underlying weirdness", as they all look like functional adults on the surface, but underneath they're pretty screwed up (which makes them terribly interesting).

I really enjoy that this drama talks about adult things in an adult way, but it still has a thread of sweetness running through it. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Highly disagree. But then I think it's the perception of mental illness that's getting to you. You think that mental illness is a means for being screwed up, then you will see it that way. But to me, the show does some solid lectures throughout that you are wrong. Via Episode 4 and the clipboard over the person's head. via the constant lectures every episode.

The show is solidly lecturing about every single case that your perception of mental illness needs to be altered. I think it'll hit you pretty hard over the head if you don't come around to that PoV. Sometimes the show runs a little soap boxish because it does a lecture after each of the cases.

Talking about kpop, anyone seen the utterly fantastic MV by JYJ for Back seat? Those body rolls by Junsu were splendid

I enjoy how in It's OK, It's Love the counselors are really the secret patients with disorders, and they get advise from the "weird" people they supposed to help. It's a well hidden truth in a professional world of modern psychiatry - doctors are often sicker than the patients.
Marrige, Not Dating is very funny and a breath of fresh air. You can just relate and see how these characters could come from any city or any culture. Instead of scratching your head, trying to bend and twist your brain, your open mouth, and your life experience into, "It's OK, It's Dramaland, It's Not Me Who Don't Get It - everyone and everything is just crazy around here."

I still disagree. They are saying that you have have a mental illness or you can have temporary problems. For example, during the divorce he says that he sought counseling and that wasn't wrong. He did not have a physically named mental illness.

I kinda think the show is trying for something that the audience, here, doesn't seem to get--it's mental health advocacy. You think you are healthy, not that strange, but getting therapy does not mean that one has a mental illness. The show solidly argues this. It lectures through this. One can have a deep sense of grief and loss, need counseling, but it doesn't mean one has a mental illness. One can have a temporary psycholtic break, but it doesn't mean one has a permanent mental illness. One can overcome their anxieties, with work and thought, [Read more]

just like one doesn't choose their race, sexual orientation, sexuality (separate from sexual orientation), gender, sex ethnicity, etc and that there is a solid range, even in the labels that people choose (religion, for example). Ultimately who a person is isn't by religious creed, political, but perhaps, every day choices and how those labels interplay as the person chooses to subscribe to part or all of it. Who we are is a sum of everything before us, that we choose or did not choose. But how we define ourselves should be treasured far more. Show argues that nicely. Labels are not the whole person.

Kim,
If you were replying to my half serious post, thank you for your deep thoughts. I meant "crazy" in case of Dramaland plots and characters, that leave me with open mouth and twisted brain, not actual patients. If you noticed, I put the label "weird" in air quotes. You are, actually, preaching to the choir, in case of mental health care, I agree with many of your points. If the show It's OK, It's Love brings attention to the people unable to get counseling, kudos to the writers. I used to be a marriage and family counselor before going to the dark side (politics and new media).
In the U.S. we went overboard with medicating everything that moves on one hand, and closing most mental care facilities at the same time. Thankfully, most treatments for disorders and addictions for outpatie [Read more]

I still take exception to your sentences: "I enjoy how in It’s OK, It’s Love the counselors are really the secret patients with disorders, and they get advise from the “weird” people they supposed to help. It’s a well hidden truth in a professional world of modern psychiatry – doctors are often sicker than the patients."

If you were part of the psychological community, I'm not sure why you made a series of unprofessional comments in the one above which I will highlight as hurtful.

"Disorders"
"Weird people" (Air quotes don't make it better)
"Secret Patients"
And that the mental health professionals all have mental health issues.

YOU should know better and should have been trained better, which is why I still take exception to your comment.

The professor did not h [Read more]

Hello Kim Yoonmi, as always, it's so good to hear your insightful comments on everything, especially It's Okay, It's Love.

I find it to be a quietly intriguing show, and like you say, the socially forward, or progressive feel is a breath of fresh air. The drama is also quite understated, in that being a bit cuckoo seems to be like a normal thing. And I wouldn't say that is too far from how things unroll in reality. And instead of revelling in the melodrama of it all, the show takes a step back to contemplate on it. I like that.

The title itself though, which I found quite befuddling initially...Well after watching the third episode, it feels to me like Hae Soo is the one that needs more healing. And Jae Yeol is the one that's going to be doing that for her. So is the title something [Read more]

I think the title is supposed to be several layers. 괜찮아, 사랑이야

Sarang iya can also mean, "There is love"

So the title is kinda imprecisely translated.

I think loosely, it's more like, even though you may have troubles, (since kwaenchana is used to comfort and soothe in Korean), there is still love for you to have. That we love you as a whole human being. Or that seems to be what the show argues.

'cause Korea right now is the opposite of that. People often take away love or even out people who have mental illness/health issues temporary or otherwise as "other" "strange" which feeds the suicide rate and stigma. In another words, it's not OK with the general public, here is hate. But the show is showing the opposite and in understated ways, which I totally appreciate. [Read more]

I admit I was a bit confused with the meaning of the title...and your explanation really clarified it for me. I think maybe the translation from Korean to English gets the meaning lost in translation, because I didn't think of that way (the kenchanah bit) until you pointed it out. "Kenchanah, sarang-e-ah" definitely sounds more soothing than the rigid/emotionless "it's ok, it's love"...maybe "it's love, it's gonna be ok" would have made more sense. To me at least ;P

And I totally agree with your words about mental health issues, and how this is addressing it. It is simply mind-boggling how much any sort of mental illness/issues are shunned there still, enough so that their suicide rate is through the roof. Totally not a good stat to have at all.

I have OCD with washing my hands. It w [Read more]

Sadly the state of Korea is such that if you have a mental health issue, you have to most likely be institutionalized because it is *that* bad. It's really difficult to find a mental health professional outside of a hospital setting according to the WHO. (World Health Organization).

This makes treating certain types of mental illness much more difficult, such as depression, which relies on the person being around people who can support them, and being able to function in their normal lives. Isolation is the worst thing you can do for depression.

This includes things like anxiety, too. Where most of the treatment is about exposure therapy and working through issues in day to day life. When you cut that off and a person has to physically go to the hospital to get treated, it puts the p [Read more]

Amnesia Lovers lol.. that kinda reminds me of Mary Him If You Dare and I started calling it Watch Me If You Dare.

You know, the brain disease? thingy kinda reminded me of another plot device from another Taiwanese drama - Autumn Concerto. I wonder if it will go down that route. Hmmm.

I came across to an on-going survey (by the Korean Magazine Sports DongA) on 'who are the best rom-com couple?'

So far the result is:
1. Sun InGook and Yi HaNa (King of high school savvy) 1055
2. Jang Hyuk and Jang NaRa (Fated to love you) - 359
3. Yeon WooJin and Han GooRu (Marriage not Dating) - 64
4. Ji HyunWoo and Jung EunJi (Trot lover) -40
5. Jo InSung and Gong HyoJin (It is ok it is love) - 38

I love all these shows and YooNa's street. And favorite character is Yi HaNa/SooYoung.

Oh hey! Yoo Na's Street!!! That show is such a fun watch.

*chips in some YNS love*

Three months ago, during The Great Kdrama Drought, I would've banged its drum and demand people watch it. But now I kinda understand there are tons of good shows to watch so YNS might not be a priority.

But if you have time, YES, YOU, FELLOW BEANIE READING THIS RIGHT NOW, check it out. It's all sorts of wonderful craziness!

Where can I watch yoo na's street with English subs please?

I'm watching it using DarkSmurfSubs subbing tool. :)

But they also have a streaming option if you don't have time to help sub.

Just sign up for an account in their forums. (It's free!)

Try myasiantv

Thank you James94131! I have been looking for it since I first heard about it.

THANK YOU, I saw one ep subbed and the rest were raw. Thanks for the site suggestion. Looking forward to this one.

Thanks James94131. Unfortunately my internet security software flagged this site out as suspicious. I also don't quite fancy the idea of signing up an account to stream drama. So it looks like I have to be content with chinese sub in tudou. It has up to ep20 subbed now.

Darksmurf has up to ep 16 subbed.

I was sick in bed a few days ago and marathoned the show. I like it so a bit more love for YNS. :)

So glad more people are discovering Yoona's Street. Best drama of the year! Once you start watching, guaranteed you will end up marathon watching every available episode.

You know, I knew this would happen, but after you directed me to MyAsianTV last week, I marathoned all 16 subbed episodes within the weekend. And then I went on to watch episodes 17 and 18 raw.

I love this show so so much. I especially love Yoo-na and cheonsa Chang-man (of course) and I even find myself sympathizing with Samchon although, my god, he's one of the biggest losers I've seen in Kdramaland in a while.

I'm so glad it's doing well in the ratings so JTBC won't kill it like they did with Wild Chives and Soybean Soup.

Thanks again for directing me to MyAsianTV last week ^^

LOL at your marathon session!! Happens to every person who starts to watch this show!! Now comes the hard part: waiting, waiting and waiting each week for more episodes to be broadcast and then subbed.

It's almost criminal that High School King of Savvy and Marriage, Not Dating are getting so much love and attention when in fact Yoo Na's Street is getting much higher ratings in Korea and absolutely no love or attention outside Korea. Oh well, this will just have to be our secret crack.

I'm so happy that so many people are picking up Yoona's Street!!! It's lovely :)

fan ~

Yes to Yoo Na's Street. A well written show. The characters aren't the typical dramaland stereotype cardboard cutouts, they actually have some depth to them.

Good cast too. I'm only on Ep 11, I haven't been disappointed.

::laughing:: I hate most of these character couples. Clearly, I am not the target audience for most Korean rom-coms.

Hello

Omg theFolk Music festival was soooo awesome. I especially liked Antti Paalanen, accordeon player, check him out. A rough finnish guy with glasses, messy hair, bad english, but when he started to play it was like some fierce troll. But a troll with a sweet nature, you know. I also liked Ciac Boum from France and Kulno Malva from Estonia, he makes sort of...indie-folk? Totally his own style.
My vacation ended and I spent a whole 2 and a half weeks in Viljandi and it is so hot here, we are, this week, the hottest place in Europe, 34 degrees every day. I feel like I am gonna collapse it is so hot, and I can´t sleep in this heat. But I am still trying to make the best of it.
Although it is really bad for the crops. All the apples are falling down prematurely and everything is so [Read more]

That reminds me of that Korean drama where the rock musician falls for the traditional folk artist and they end up making music together.

you mean Heartstrings with Yonghwa and Park Shin Hye, I think it was?

was just about to say.
well, that´s a drama, but I am wondering if there is a band like that in real life.

There must be musicians or bands like that, it's just soooo hard to find them online ;).

I like modern arrangements of traditional music, or folk/traditional touch in modern music, but I know only Jaejoong's version of the Arirang song. I will gladly find out more. It would be great to listen to something like the Japanese band kaggra, - such a pity they don't exist any more....

*it should be kagrra, and not the way I typed it. I am hopeless...

I remember seeing a 4minute performance from 2012 or so where there were gayageum players doing the intro to their song, and it flowed beautifully.

I'm pretty much off from K-Dramas for a while, due to trip to China and... kinda lose interest. Ever since gooddrama got a stupid malware. I'm taking a break off now. But probably will try to watch High School - Love On and It's Okay, It's Love. I need some high school cliche and interesting plot at the same time. [By the way, any of them worth watching?]

I gotta admit, China is heated badly, specifically Beijing or Hangzhou. But the scenery are a beauty of its own. Right by the time I post this, I'm currently in Shanghai. Actually, it's like the other version of Orchard Road in Singapore. Except a toddler slapped my ass while I'm walking, and later, a woman slapped me in the arm because I was going to sit on her place (I get that i was kinda wrong, but she wasn't even sitting on her pl [Read more]

Just kill me now. I replied wrongly. Was supposed to be a new comment...

Btw, I saw a few Jeon Jihyun and Kim Soohyun CFs in Beijing and Shanghai. Other than that, I saw a filming site for those typical kungfu drama in Huangshan. I don't know if any had an idea of what is the name of the drama?

Happy OT

Had a job interview this week and if there’s an opening I’m gonna work in afterschool care as of October =) *YAY*

But onto the other important stuff this week namely dramas^^

Trot Lovers: Oh drama why did you have to go the amnesia route? Though I was not as annoyed as I thought I would be. Yeah Soo In’s meddling was hard to watch but karma’s a bitch and I’m sure she gonna get what she deserves (including her mom). It was great to watch Joon Hyun doing things he did with Chun Hee unconsciously though. And leave it to this drama to tie up the amnesia story in 2 episodes! Thank you very much.
Also… SHIN SUNG ROK SINGING ♥

Marriage not Dating: Oh man that last scene was heartbreaking. Poor Jang Mi =( Ki Tae’s mom is the absolute worst for playing with [Read more]

his zakin89 - about Soo-in's meddling - isn't that second degree intentional (attempted) homicide or at least assault and battery? And the mother and her weenie side kick are accomplices - yikes! covering all that up in the name of wannabe fame and having the power to do so? I hope that when the seriousness of what Soo-in did is discovered is legally addressed somehow someway and not just brushed over. Even if it's a kdrama.

I'm with you on Trot Lovers I thought the amnesia would be a lot worse but the fact that he's basically falling in love with Chun Hee all over again is quite fun to watch and I don't think it's going to drag out that much.

I'm not a fan of some of the members personalities, to be honest. But as a whole, I'm liking 1N2D these days too !

Tales of a foreigner in china
OK so this week was pretty OK, started attending BLCU to learn Chinese,my oh my is Chinese difficult to learn. I'm suddenly wishing I was in S.Korea instead.lol :D and either the stares have reduced or I'm getting used to being stared at. I totally locked my self out of my apartment in nothing but short shorts and a tank top with no shoes on for more than 2 hours after stepping out to check something right outside my door the door was eventually opened by some agency after the whole of beijing had gathered in my corridor. And I got lost as well around 9pm cos I took the right bus but at the wrong time, what a pain! Its almost like no one speaks English here and they keep speaking Chinese to you even after you tell them you don't understand a word they ar [Read more]

Read about the Lion eating poet in the stone den. http://jreidy17.wordpress.com/2014/07/30/homonym/

92 repetitions of the syllable shi.

Good luck with learning Chinese. I'll stick to Korean.

TGIF!
YooNa's street
****SPOILER (or not? since this is not recapped here)
There was one scene peeked my interest in Ep.20. One of the thing in Korea is that young mothers come to US to deliver their babies (if they can afford of course).

This scene dealt with that topic. ManBok (ex-gangster boss) met with Chairman Jung (the one who obsessed with MiSun in previous eps) because MB wanted to move his dance club to a bigger place in a building owned by Jung. There were also gangster Baendaeng-yi. Conversation went like this.

Baendaeng-yi: Chairman, is your son a US citizen?
Jung: My son got it ever since he came out of my wife's stomach.
ManBok: How is that possible?
Jung: Oh, we did the birth tour(?delivery in far away place).
MB: Oh, you mean going to US to give a birth?
Yo [Read more]

Oh hey! Hahaha I kyaaaed about YNS in your earlier post above. ^___^

I won't read this yet since I've only seen up to 18. Nice to find a YNS friend here. Hello~ *waves excitedly*

It really is!

OMG. This is awesome. I love the show so much that I've been watching the raws so this is super helpful for me :)

Good morning everyone! Happy Friday!

It's been awhile since I've been back on Dramabeans but not much has changed. It's like seeing friends again after a long time.

Anyone want to give me a quick update on the drama scene?! I've been mostly paying attention to variety shows, and have missed the slew of releases.

Mostly interested in RomComs and Action/Thriller.

In no specific order:

Fated to love you(Warning: You WILL die from all the cute!)

High School King of Savvy: You must have heard all the 'hero is a high schooler and the female lead is 10 years older' complaints but that is because that is probably the ONLY complaint people could come up with for this show. Trust me, it is THAT GOOD.

Marriage, not Dating:Fresh, entertaining and extreeeemely HILARIOUS!

It is romcom heaven in dramaland this summer so you need to watch these like right now!

Sidenote : It's okay It's love- I personally love this show but it has only aired 4 episodes and is very non-kdrama-ish romcom. So you can wait a while before starting with this,

It's currently raining great romcoms in drama land. I'm enjoying noona romance known as High School King Savvy on MT, Fated to Love you W-Th (which is so sweet my tooth is hurting), and Married not Dating F-Sat. Try 'em all, really. I highly recommend them. But since they're on going, I can't vouch that they'll stay good til the end. You know how it goes…hope springs eternal after all :)

Rom-coms
High School King of Savvy
Cunning Single Lady (Finished airing but was fun)
You who came from the stars (Finished airing but was fun)
Let's Eat (Fnished, but was fun. I didn't watch the last 2 epis because of serious second lead syndrome issues.)

Action Thrillers
Golden Cross -- The first two episodes leave you pulling your hair out, but once you're in..you're in.

Gap Dong-- A thriller but don't expect to not know anything. Everything gets "known" pretty quickly. Might not be your cup of tea but it's mostly psychological ponderings get addictive after a while.

Hi Alvina - Speaking of variety shows, there is a new one that has me scratching my head ** Have you seen it? Abnormal Talks (Summit Talsk). 3 MCs and a panel of 12 ex pats discussing topics per se but veering quite a bit and whoa, sparks flying and randomness galore - people calling out the country of origin when addressing someong (Hey Turkey, hey China) rather than their names. First of all, I'd say, "Excuse me? I have a name. Please use it when addressing me." Is that supposed to be funny, because it is just ignorant. The format is supposed to show the diversity in individual and countries' cultures, but personal biases and prejudices spurted out in ugly ways. I wondered, "Are some of these guys from another century?"

Even though it is supposed to represent diversity, the panel is a [Read more]

Hmm, I came across this show once but didn’t get to watch it because it’s not eng subbed. Might find some time to see how it's like. Where did you watch it?

Here's episode 1 on dailymotion, 2 is also subbed.

3 and 4 are raw so far.

Such a bizarre show, sometimes offensive, not sure what the concept really is, wanting to be progressive - but is it? Perhaps the show is attempting to be inclusive, yet there are no female panelists out of 15 (3 MC 12 ex pats) - and a lot of shouting out and over one another. definite prejudices and biases, which can be okay if properly expressed and change can happen. Oh, and when they did have female guests in episode 2, it was former Miss Korea and a well-known [Read more]

Thanks for links.. i watched the 2 eps back to back. The foreign panels are quite an interesting mix of people, to me at least but maybe not to others cos it has been a while since i really watch varieties.

Of the show itself, i enjoyed it quite well. 2nd ep question is interesting and opinions by the panels reflecting their personality & culture is evident. It reminds me of the show on kbs with female foreign panels. Maybe i was already conditioned but i do not find any of it offensive so far, only i had an inner warning bell whenever someone shares something that might be deemed as not proper by korean tv standard. Glad it's on cable.

I'll also say that there's a sudden surge of good rom-coms. Personally:

- I like High School King of Savvy, but I felt it worked better as a fish-out-of-water comedy than as a romance. The age thing is a big turn-off for me, despite knowing in real life Seo In-Guk is waaaay older than his character.

- Fated to Love You is very old school romance, lot of coincidences and chance meetings leading to love hijinks. Gun is maniacally funny (emphasis on maniacal) and Mi-Young is just the sweetest thing despite having no self-esteem. I've not seen the original but have totally been spoiled from another dramabeans thread (a previous Open Thread, in fact), so watch out.

- Marriage Not Dating is my current drama crack. It's super funny, cleverly written, and has a bickering slow burn of a ro [Read more]

Hey everyone!

Feels like I haven't been to an OT for weeks...
Well, I guess it just doesn't feel that way :D

I had a three week holiday and my resolve was to catch up on all the dramas I was watching which of course I... didn't do. At all.
It actually feels like I watched less than when I was working O.o
But I did finish YAAS, which is no small feat considering my strange allergy to drama endings lately...
Seriously, from the last couple (re)watched, YAAS is the only one I actually finished...
Well, in some cases I absolutely know why I didn't want to watch the last episodes (I'm looking at you, TK2H! *sob*), in other cases... I guess I've just been burnt by too many bad endings which ruined the whole thing for me.

Speaking of ruining the whole thing: So far I absolutely love [Read more]

Oh my! That drama-ending allergy is a bad one! I know it well. And once one has it....it's like an illness that never really goes away and might flare up at anytime. I've been noting -- with some pleasure-- how lucky I was in avoiding a possible reinfection: Triangle, Doctor Stranger. But I'm trying not to be too complacent because...well...with some of these dramas, it ain't over 'til it's over.

NO WAY. Did you say the What's Up soundtrack?!!? That exists? I have spent so much time trying to hunt down that ost!

happy OT BEANIES.

Right now live watching 3 shows.

First is my absolute crack- FATED TO LOVE YOU. I think in need to stop gushing about this how. lol

Secondly, am loving Marriage not dating

Third is Its Okay its love which i like... but not love yet. I guess the problem is so far my fav character is the Sunbae Psychiatrist. I don't love the 2 leads yet so that's a bit of an issue. We ll see how that pans out.

And again have i told you how much i Love JANG HYUK? LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

Ditto Jang Hyuk love. I marathoned Thank You this week. I noticed a couple of things since watching oder kdramas- more recent kdramas move faster than most of the older ones I've watched, and the translations are tighter these days (thank you subbers for all your hard work). Thank you was bittersweet.

Happy Friday everyone!

I kept meaning to catch up with some in-progress dramas, and it never happened, so I just started a new one. I'm really liking "It's Ok, It's Love." I like that it features all adults, and I think Hae-Soo is my favorite role for Gong Hyo-Jon - I like her with an edge!

I have to catch up with "Fated to Love You." Other than that, I think I'll get more into K dramas when the fall ones roll out.

I made a little switch to American TV watching. After years of being pressured by friends, I started watching "The Good Wife." I have to admit, it's pretty good! For some reason I keep trying to imagine who would be cast if it were a K drama (K drama lover hazard, I suppose :).

Hi Everyone!

The heat and humidity continue in full force ...... not fun!

Watched this week:

A New Leaf - Gosh, this is good! ...... The cases, the details, the people, all good.

You're All Surrounded - Almost done with this and still enjoying it.

Trot Lovers - Despite it's flaws, I just really like Shin Sung-rok in this.

Poirot (The Big Four Episode) - It was great to see all the original cast members back together again, if only for a bit. ..... Already sad that the series is ending.

That's all for now. ....... Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

Poirot is ending!? Noooo! I love them! I have all her books, and really enjoy the Masterpiece Series. Well, I will just have to re-watch them all like I usually do. Thanks for the update.

PlumWine -

Yes, it's ending after 25 years! *sniff, sniff*

Someone here on OT was kind enough to mention it a week or two ago. I also read an article about it.

From what I read there are just 5 final episodes, of which only 2 will be shown on Masterpiece (last weekend's episode was one of them). ........ The other 3 are going to be shown or are currently being shown on a streaming service I've honestly never heard of, but the name escapes me right now.

I'm certainly going to miss Poirot.

The last Poirot broke my heart

What! Why? No, don't tell me. I'm still going to watch it and think because you mean it's the end of the series. Can't quite remember the end of the Big Four. (Everybody better still be alive!)

Bex -

May I ask where you watched the last episode?

I ask because I saw the "Big Four" episode last weekend on Masterpiece (PBS) and I've read only 2 of the 5 episodes will be shown there. ...... This being the case I have no idea if the episode that was selected for this coming weekend will be the actual, last and final episode of the series or just one of the other ones.

Hi all:

Hope all are doing well. Settling down well into Albany. This is a very disability-friendly town. Lots of sports, programs, etc for disabled/autistic/down's syndrome children. Horseback riding classes, music classes, ice skating classes. The county even has Travel Trainers who teach students, the disabled, foreigners, and the elderly how to take public trnsportation, read map routes an schedules. It's also a very laidback town. Coming from just north of NYC where bureaucrats etc are so nasty and cold, it was a bit of a shock to discover again that folks are basically nice and polite. Haven't found a church yet or made new friends, but found some good acquaintances. Been sick from stress etc but I think this new move will really do me good.

Dramas: Loving High School King of [Read more]

Albany sounds good for you! :-) I've heard horseriding is good there.

So far, so good with My Dear Cat. It is interesting, and I do want to keep watching it. And yes, the switch in characters is engaging. Even with the second leads, he went from being a good guy to a creep, and she went from being annoying and greedy to a victim, though still greedy (but now, she's more understandable, though just foolish).

It's making me dare to dream again. And it's a city surrounded by farms. Plus the horse-racing up at Saratoga.

Which epi of Cat should i jump back into? 20? Are all epis important?

My friend from school is a reporter on the paper there - Amy Biancolli. She's always talking up how great Albany is!

Albany, NY right!? Since I see you mention Toga (Saratoga), so it must be. I grew up in the capital region, although I don't live there now but relatives still do. Hello!!!

Hi!!!

Hi Carol! Glad you are getting settled in and enjoying Albany. Aside from being the seat of NYS government, it sounds like a great place :).

Yong Hwa may not have appreciated your veggie burger, but I would have been ALL over it. Did Meryl like it?

Yeah, Albany politicians are known to be corrupt. Second to Chicago. Mercifully, i'm not in politics or contracted to them so am safe. Meryl had been very specific about what she wanted so i knew my limits. Note to self: when someone says, "i'll take anything"...they probably won't.

As I am head over heels for FTLY, and its OST, I wanted to share a bit of the current song in my head 24/7.

Jung Dong Ha's song, Destiny Sonata, totally rocks.

The refrain (which starts at about 1:25) goes like this:

Refrain:

손을 내밀어, 너를 꼭 안으면
(sohn-eul neh-mee-ruh, nuh-reul kkok ahn-neu-myeon)
when (my) hand reaches out, to hold you tight

어긋난 운명도 사랑이 되겠지
(eun-geut-nan oon-myeong-do sa-rang-ee dae-kaet-ji)
our messed up destinies will* turn to love

소리쳐 불러 너만을 사랑해
(so-ri-chieo bool-luh nuh-mahn-eul sa-rang-heh)
I shout out (that) I love only you

심장이 널 원해 운명 같은 너
(shim-jang-ee neul weon-heh, oon-myeong gat-teun nuh)
My heart yearns for you, (you) my destiny

널 사랑해
[Read more]

Hi Samsooki

I love that you love FTLY :)

How can I not?

In k-drama lingo translated into english, "it is exactly my style."

Hallo samsooki. Were you the one who said a while back that Mrs. Samsooki is allergic to Jang Nara?

What about now? Have you tried to make her watch FTLY? :) It looks like a great drama so I'm curious if it's enough to cure the Nara allergy. ^^

Its my absolute CRACK :)

Oh, believe me.

Mrs. Samsooki and I are BOTH happily in love with FTLY.

Mrs. Samsooki has not, as of yet, apologized to Jang Nara for not liking Jang Nara the way that I do, but, Mrs. Samsooki has acknowledged how awesome and awesome and awesome that Jang Nara has been in FTLY.

FTLY is a must-watch for us.

I sit with a blanket and a few pillows to act as possible shields against JNR getting embarrassed or hurt, while Mrs. Samsooki watches without any shield or anti-pain device.

Mrs. Samsooki, like many, cannot understand Gunnie's hair.

Oh, last point on Mrs. Samsooki - she was and still is apprehensive of the pain and the depths that Kim Mi Young will have to face before KMY and LG will finally have their happy ending.

Not me tho - I have my blanket, my pillows to bl [Read more]

I am glad that you are back. Just wanted to say that.

Laughing so much at your story. ^^

"Mrs. Samsooki warches without any shield or anti-pain device" --> O__O mrs. Samsooki is a very strong person. I'm only reading recaps and tweets and I hurt for Mi Young. She's a little ball of goodness being passed around this way and that by kdramaland's sadistic world. T^T

Although, does anyone understand Gun's hair?

Well, I am back (here I am!) but I am just enjoying dramas when we have the time to watch.

Being able to spend the time to recap was one of the great joys in my life but, now, with three kids under the age of 5, I am just grateful that I can hop onto dramabeans and read all of the wonderful posts and stuff.

Oh My Gosh! I never thought of using pillow and blankets!

I just cover the faces, turn down the volume and read the subtitles... I can be such a wienie when it comes to embarrassment and hurt.

Oh Lizzy, let me school you on the art of hiding from k-drama embarrassment and pain.

Rules:

1. If you cannot hear them crying, they aren't crying. Therefore, cover your ears and hum. Look at your spouse/roommate/friend/pet for confirmation that the scene is over.

2. If you cannot see them crying, they aren't crying. Therefore, keep a pillow nearby to block direct line of sight. See above for how to determine when the scene is over.

3. If you run out of the room or hide every part of body under a blanket during an embarrassing scene, then the character is not being embarrassed. Embarrassment energy waves propagate from the screen in direct line of sight but are stopped by physical materials like walls or blankets. Therefore you can prevent embarrassment heart burn and [Read more]

My own method (as im usually watching on my hp during work commute) whenever such a scene transpire i'll mute it and fix my attention to a spot usually on upper right of the screen and pretend nothing happens throughout (stealing glances to ensure i didnot miss the next scene) obviously fellow commuters will think im out of it cos just moments bfr i was smiling/laughing -silently ofcourse but who really cares.. cos if i am caught especially with a crying scene, it would be wayyy uglier that's why always keep pocket tissue on the ready for just in case

I love the OST too. Have all the songs. The most recently released one is Daebak

I used to sing a cappella (bass) in college and law school, so I am not in the same range as Jung Dong Ha, but now I want to take voice lessons to get up to his range - just so that I can sing this song.

LOL. Its appears that I am totally obsessed, but I'm actually just obsessed. Totally obsessed is like crazy, and plain jane obsessed is completely healthy (in my view).

yay! been humming this song to myself all day!

and thanks to you, am listening to it now. :)

LOL, Btw i just saw this on Showbiz Korea page: Cha Seung-Won vs Jang Hyuk.
URGH!!!!! How am i meant to chose between these 2 men?

I mean Dokko Jin vs Lee Gun!!!! Ah. lol

Nevertheless, as much as i have fallen in love with Jang Hyuk and Lee Gun, i will have to choose Cha Seung-Won in this battle. JH came a very close 2nd though.

Its just, CSW has a very very special place in my heart. The man is sexy,hot and can act his pants off. His eyes can convey sooooo much. Gah

Anyway, beanies in this battle, what will be your pick?

Wow, you know i like both.

I'd go with JH.

Jang Hyukkkk!!

I started FTLY a couple of days back and I'm excited to report that it's been love at first sight!! omigoshhhh, he's SO beautiful. Has perfect skin and hair (LG hilare hairdo notwithstanding!!). I LOVE his portrayal of wacky weirdo LG! SO GOOD!! hnngggg...

Hello dahling! Good to see you back on the boards again. All is well at the Samsooki Compound these days?

Squeeing loudly over your comment since I will be watching Jung Dong-ha in concert here in NorCal on 15 August... and playing his OST songs on heavy repeat in anticipation. (I really wub his voice on the Boohwal song from the WBDS OST.) Although he's a married man now, I'll report back if we get to share any 'precious moments.' :D

pics or it didn't happen.

:P

Because I am disappointed in BOTH Gunman AND Trot Singing for Amnesiacs, I have decided to write my own K-Drama--and it will be a sageuk.

The players, Kim Kwan. He's 22. Not a genius. Not very strong. He's the oldest son of a wealthy family.
Jin Sang. He's Kwan's servant. He is unschooled, but bright and a martial arts expert.
Because Kwan wants to be famous, he enlists the help of his servant to go around doing “hero” type stuff. But lets it slip—on purpose—that he is the one being all heroic. So while Jin Sang does all the heavy lifting, Kwan gets all the adulation.
Mi Hi has known Kwan since childhood. Their families are friends. Mi Hi was the first person Kwan “confessed” his nightly activities to. (Although, it's a lie.) Mi Hi knows him and knows he's never bee [Read more]

Anyone watched an old old drama Alone in love? What's the verdict? I'm not scared of spoilers, I just wanna know whether the ending is any good. I hate dramas that end so blah it makes me wanna hurt the screen. (in no particular order…Gu Family Book, Mirae's non choice, Prime Minister and I, etc)

The ending fits the story, and I don't think you'll be alarmed or upset by it. There is nothing odd or out of left field, although I didn't feel quite as satisfied by it as I thought I would. I loved the lead actors and thought there were a lot of lovely moments in the show, but even when things were going well, there was a pretty bleak undertone to the proceedings.

Hello Beanies! Happy OT.

It has been so long since I've spoken on OT but I can't contain my love for FTLY. It feels too good to be true, and when you're feeling this much love for something, it's really difficult to keep it to yourself. I know I'm likely to find kindred souls here. I know there's a lot more people who've found their happiness and lost their sanity with this show. One more week to go before we meet again? Group hug people!

So wow. What a brilliant show. I'm gone past being eloquent about it. So here's my incoherent fan-rambling:

By now Gunee's arm feels like a character on its own. The volumes it speaks and reaches out for. Love it.

Which reminds me, this is the only show I am drawn to raw, without subtitles. I mean, there's so much to be fathomed without relyin [Read more]

I love your post. I am also seriously addicted.
Wish i could write as well as you did
Thinking about this show makes me smile, all the damn time. Right now, am so giddy with anticipation about whats coming next. No really, am addicted.

Jang Hyuk is a sexy beast
Watching Chuno concurrently ad RAWR, God that guy is hot

Awww. Glad we're on the same boat. Is this what people call crack?

Am just an inch away from tumbling into the world of Chuno myself. But can I afford to commit 24 hours of my life to a show I'm not interested in at all storywise? But then there's Jang Hyuk, shirtless the entire way, calling to me. And the next instalment of FTLY eons away. I am so conflicted!

Yup, this is top quality Heisenberg blue crack :)

And i am watching CHUNO solely to see Jang Hyuk be this sexy man beast. I mean *fans self*. Its really not my type of drama, i love rom-coms, stories with happy endings. BUT, his performance in this drama is SO MESMERIZING I feel i would be doing him a disservice by not watching it.

Hi jhu - Jang Hyuk fan here, too! ^^ Love the show for all the reasons in your post. I was so sad that evil step-mom happened upon Gun's man cave - and well, the rest is headlines. She is detestable.

In the larger scheme of things, evil step-mom still feels harmless. She too is being exploited by that other despicable man-cousin (who is he, by the way?) who wants to take over Gun's company. Her son was a real cutesy though. He's totally fallen for KMY's sincerity. She's like an invisible tornado, sweeping everyone off their feet, isn't she?

I find Choi Jin-Hyuk's character pretty pitiable too. I mean, he's so out of the league when it comes to Gunee. Mr Neighbourhood Oppa, you'd be better off knowing Lee Gun is the only real Oppa around. The bromance was great while it lasted though. Wish we could have seen more of the petty rivalry. Now Daniel is taking himself way too seriously. Enough to forget that he's so out of the league.

The high school disguise scenes were hilarious!

lol. true the high school scenes were epic. all the stubble on the 'teenage' men's faces.

Totally with you on the man-handling part. I'm thoroughly sick of watching the women being dragged around and grabbed in TV shows (not just Korean, this is a major problem in many other nationalities as well). Which is why Gun seems refreshing by contrast, because he has mostly treated Mi-young with such respect. Call me old-school, but the abundance of hot protective males (okay there're only two but you know what I mean...) in this show very much pleases me.

This week, I watched:

"Two Weeks" - Finally sucked it up and finished the series. I'm so sad it's over. That was an awesome ride - so tightly plotted, such great acting. I hope that Lee Joon Ki does more thrillers in the future, because he was great.

"Marriage, Not Dating" - I'm not a rom-com kind of person, but I ADORE this series. It's consistently light and funny, and the actors are absolutely beautiful.

"Ghost-Seeing Detective Cheo Yong" - OH MY GOODNESS. This series should have "Made especially for Harmonyfb" stamped on it. Spooky detecting, ghosts, damaged detectives, snappy repartee. Why are there only 10 episodes?!?

"Fated to Love You" - Ok, this show is not my cup of tea. But everyone was raving about it, so I've watched a few episodes. ::blink:: I think I'm wa [Read more]

"Ghost-Seeing Detective" - I thought that was a very fun show, I especially enjoyed Jun Hyo-Seoing as the perpetual high school ghost Han Na Young.

The whole cast was great - I'm really bitter that crappy dramas get 20 episodes and this one only got 10. :(

(I'm on ep 7, and trying to streeetch it out so it's not over so quickly.)

Totally agree with "bitter that crappy dramas get 20 episodes and this one only got 10. :( " I felt the same way about "Secret Investigation Record/ Joseon X-Files." Loved that also.

::fistbump of supernatural pals:: Me, too - I was certain there had to be another season. But nooooooo. :(

I am kind of with you on FTLY -- I really liked the first 4 or 5 episodes and then began to get a sugar high. I like a little more edge without evil in my leads, and I'd really like a bigger role for Se Ra. For my money MND and It's Ok, It's Love are the must-see shows. Even though one is a rom-com and the other has a more serious tone, the lead characters in both are complex and compelling, and you can see the growth trajectory for them coming. There's real sexual tension in both series and not just cutesy chemistry.

>For my money MND and It’s Ok, It’s Love are the must-see shows.

I'm really surprised at how much I love those two shows - especially MND. You're right; the sexual tension between the characters is palpable, and more importantly, believable. And in both cases, the writing is great - no fallbacks to hackneyed tropes, no sudden character shifts, just smooth transitions and snappy dialog. ::sighs happily::

I dunno if anybody kept up with Hotel King, but is anybody else crying over Lee Da Hae's and Lee Dong Wook's selcas?

MY OTP

Happy open thread and happy friday :)
I totally love friday because friday is .... Marriage not Dating airing day! yooohooo~ I've been spending my days the whole week waiting for Jang-mi and Gi-tae♥.

I watch other dramas too, but this one grabs me at my heart. I really love it.
I always love dramas with such interesting heroines... the ones that is weird, sassy and energetic. I fell in love with Han Groo, she is young, pretty and talented. I love it so much when she did that weird stretching ahaha I laughed hard. And Gitaeee♥ I spent my bored times replaying that opening scene in the beginning of first episode just to see the smile on Gitae face:) I flipped.

Fated to Love you is uber-cute, and I found that Gunnie laugh is super adorable. I mean the moment he laughed, I laugh [Read more]

If you read LollyPip's recaps for ep 11, you will find a way to enjoy Tro Lover's. I thought I had stopped at 6 but it was 8. Now I just watch it when I fell like cursing at the screen an can appreciate the trope.

I am so with you on Marriage Not Dating! I am helplessly addicted to that show. Have you watched today's episode? It's freakin' awesome!

In other non-FTLY news, please can anyone recommend where to buy DVDs/ BluRays of Korean dramas/ Movies that isn't outrageously expensive?

Thanks i will be extremely grateful. There are some that have really touched me and i will like to have my personal copy.

I stay in the US.
Thanks once again

Hm good question... www. zoommovie .com/ seems like a good place (haven't ordered from there yet bc my money went to clothes^^)

I order from yesasia and sometimes amazon though I am mostly unlucky bc I need Region 2 DVDs and....well it's just easier to get Region 1 which sucks when you live in Europe :P

Get a multi-region DVD player.

I bought a non-fancy model for 20 GBP (~25 Euros), which has been working perfectly fine.

Ebay. I actually just bought "Special Affairs Team Ten, Season 2" for $25! Just be sure to check whether the translations are listed as "bad/average" or "good", if you're depending on subs.

Thanks evreyone!!
I will check out the sites suggested above. Checked Amazon before but the few i saw were really expensive.

I do depend on subs so i will have to be very careful when purchasing

Try Goks

Drama Achievement: I actually finished a running series. It was Grandpa Flower Investigation Team.

I may just stick with Hi! School Love On because I stan Kim Saeron and cute Changjae from Mr.Mr and I'm seriously crushing on Sunbae Reaper. And so far, My Dear Cat hasn't pissed me off, though it's getting to that point, so I do watch that each morning.

I think, though, because Gaza has me grieving, a lot of things don't seem worthwhile. I even have to force myself to do Block B tweets (they're on music shows right now & as a committed team fan, I feel I ought to at least tweet a bit for them).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to The Night Watchman. It will probably be exactly the sort of escape needed right now.

Yeah the situation in Gaza is getting me down, I can't believe that over 1,400 people have been killed and over 7,000 injured - its terrible. Thought I'd try and watch a drama...

It's been so upsetting that I feel silly getting into music show scores for Block B.

Aww well we just have to keep these civilians in our prayers and try to do what we can to help and increase the awareness. I've never heard of block b - think I'll google them :)

Click through my name for links! And check out blockb.com.

Happy OT Beanies!!!
A great year of rom-coms rights?
FTLY:I really do love the show,but I dont know the sweetness is getting overloaded and I do want the something terrible,sorry.Totally love Jang-hyuk in this.It is my second time I am watching him after windstruck and thats long.
Marriage not Dating:love the show.its a bit more forward in terms.and I love the leads they are awesome.Just dont get why they have to put in the second lead everywhere.just let the lead couple alone.The show was my highlight of the week before they had the whole love triangle.Cant the three remain friends?
Trot:I lost the interest in the show,though it is watchable and all i just cant watch it now with the amnesia plot and all...please get a life.
Joseon:love Lee jun-ki.I really do wish that the heroine was [Read more]

I'm enjoying Temptation a lot. It's kind of a throwback to the soapy melodramatic classics of 1940's Hollywood with Choi Ji-woo in the Joan Crawford alpha female role. The acting is good, it has a lush quality to it and high production values. It seems that adults are at the helm as it deals with adult issues like infidelity, family expectations versus personal desires, infertility etc. Also it has Lee Jung-jin in the requisite cad role. Having only known him from the Kim Ki-duk film Pieta, it was quite a shock to see him playing this kind of role. You should check it out if this type of genre appeals to you.

ooo, nailed that Lindy 12! I so agree with the alpha female role - nice description.

I love screwball comedies from the 1930's (The City Hall was like this for me) and high class melodramatic soaps from the 1940's, especially the ones with Joan Crawford. This is part of what I like best about K-dramas of this type. They deal unashamedly with relationships and questions that women find interesting. What happens when your husband finds another woman attractive? What happens when you've ignored your biological clock just a bit too long? In a conflict between your family obligations and your personal desires, which side should win? I love this stuff!

Hi Lindy12.. glad u piped in so eloquently cos if id say, it's not exactly what some would expect for a drama with such a title but it is an adult/mature? drama if there's a sub-genre. im just caught up with this week's episodes. Tbh im watching out of loyalty for STH's OTP. No major complaint only i cant really appreciate the background music, like it's working too hard to tell the scene in case we missed the point. i wonder if im making any sense.

OTH, i find CN Blue maknae a more natural actor compared to his hyung. Pls don't stone me fangirls, of the band, I ♡ JYH the most but he is not that convincing until Mirae's Choice and i sincerely hope he didnot regress in Three Musketeers.

The weekend's forecast calls for rain. Perhaps I'll catch up on some dramas or just drop them all together.

Trot Lovers: Dropped it. Sent a short e-mail to KBS, telling them that they should fire the talentless hack "writer" assigned to that show.

Moving on, HSKOS and FTLY are doing what should be expected of a drama, keep you entertained without resorting to WTF-ery moments.

Joseon Gunman: Behind and considering dropping, will keep at it for Hye-won's story.

Marriage Not Dating: Dropped

It's Okay, It's Love: Fell asleep during Ep 3, not sure about show, will give Ep 3 & 4 a shot.

Watched:

Miss Granny. Shim Eun-kyung did a good job there. I heard more Trot music there than in TL.

SPEC: Close-Incarnation Not much happened plot wise but I like [Read more]

I have sort of been holding off of SPEC. Might wait till the final movie. I don't expect much plot movement, but I just love the actors & characters they portray. Kase. Toda. I guess Kamiki isn't in this one?

alua ~

A brief flashback if anything. Yu Kashii has a bit role. I didn't recognize her in her makeup.

What's your feel for the latest Nodame castings?

Don't really know the guy they have cast for Mine (I skip-watched FBND and all I remember with the side characters was that they were totally superfluous), hence no opinion on his casting.

At this point, it just all depends how they will be directing it and if they'll let the characters be as crazy as in the original and whether they'll Koreanise (and ruin) it with the usual tropes.

I am not optimistic.

It seems they're waffling on the title again and may actually use "Nodame Cantabile". Not sure how to feel about this... maybe they should just go ahead and Koreanise it all they want so I can stop thinking it's an adaptation of NC.

Not too keen on the Mine casting.