Joo Ji-hoon offered SBS melodrama Mask with Su Ae
Joo Ji-hoon might be returning to television this year: It’s been two years since his last drama, Medical Top Team, and he’s reportedly being courted to star in SBS’s new melodrama Mask. Is it a role with a lot of brooding? Because Joo Ji-hoon broods like a beast. Su Ae (Yawang) has been offered the leading role, and both actors are considering for now.
The new drama comes from writer Choi Ho-chul of Secret and PD Boo Sung-chul of Heirs, and so far the description remains pretty vague. It’s a melodrama about people who live wearing masks to hide their true faces. Su Ae has been cast to play a woman who happens to enter the world of chaebols (how, we don’t know), and it’s the story of how her life changes because of it.
There isn’t any character information on the role that Joo Ji-hoon is considering, though I’m going to wager a guess that he’ll play a second-generation chaebol heir. Maybe a little cold. Maybe a little arrogant. Maybe there aren’t that many character types in dramaland after all.
If they’re looking for two actors to wring tears and wreck hearts, I think we’re set. Maybe they can become friendly while trading stories about working with Kwon Sang-woo. It’s hard to say whether I’ll be tuning in since we know so little of the story and characters, but I do like the leads, and trust them to carry a tormented love story and play the angst to the hilt.
Mask will air on Wednesdays and Thursdays in May.
- Su Ae considers return to dramaland in SBS’s Mask
- Malaise and distrust tear Good Friends apart
- Joo Ji-hoon reunites with Antique Bakery director
- Medical Top Team: Episode 1
- Pre-wedding hijinks for four couples… and Joo Ji-hoon
- Nearing its end, Five Fingers in spoiler control mode
- Five Fingers: Episode 1
- Joo Ji-hoon plays both prince and pauper
- Joo Ji-hoon’s August magazine spreads
- Joo Ji-hoon hits roadblocks on the way to dramaland