Ryu Joon-yeol, Yoo Hae-jin to join Song Kang-ho’s period film Taxi Driver
I’m so happy that Ryu Joon-yeol (Answer Me 1988) is racking up the movie roles, and this one’s sure to be heartbreaking, not to mention a huge step up career-wise for him, to be acting alongside film veterans Song Kang-ho (Sado) and Yoo Hae-jin (Veteran). Song Kang-ho is the only one confirmed for the project so far, and the others are considering favorably. The new film Taxi Driver takes place in Gwangju in 1980, and though the descriptions don’t say so explicitly, that tells me it’ll be set during the Gwangju Massacre or related events.
The film is the latest project from director Jang Hoon, of The Front Line and Secret Reunion (which also starred Song Kang-ho), and tells the story of a taxi driver who happens by chance to drive into Gwangju one day in 1980. Song Kang-ho will play the taxi driver, Yoo Hae-jin is up for an unspecified role, and Ryu Joon-yeol has been offered the part of a college student.
All we’re told is that the taxi driver and college student will be at at the center of the story. Given the setting and the time period, I’d wager that Ryu Joon-yeol plays a student protester, which puts him in grave danger during a time when student protesters were beaten and killed for opposing a dictatorial government. Of course, it may just be a random story about a taxi driver, but then why would you set it in 1980 Gwangju?
I guess Ryu Joon-yeol is just destined to break my heart over and over. I’m crossing my fingers for everyone in this cast to sign on, because it would be a dream lineup. Taxi Driver plans to film this year and doesn’t have a release date yet.
Via Star News
- Youths Over Flowers in Africa: Episode 1
- Posters for Ji-soo, Ryu Joon-yeol’s youth movie Glory Day
- Ryu Joon-yeol, Kim Ah-joong join Jo In-sung’s movie The King
- Yoon-ah, Yoo Hae-jin to join Hyun Bin in action thriller
- Back at sea for Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village
- Yoo Ah-in and Song Kang-ho’s tragic paternal strife in Sado
- Gong Yoo, Song Kang-ho headline occupation-era thriller
- Song Kang-ho and Im Shi-wan in The Attorney