Im Shi-wan, Sol Kyung-gu pair up for undercover prison movie
Is it just me, or are there a lot of prison movies in the works right now? This new story in particular sounds so similar to this one starring Kim Rae-won and Han Seok-kyu that I had to look it up to make sure it wasn’t the same film with a new cast. This undercover prison movie will be called Hooligan, and is courting Im Shi-wan (Misaeng) and Sol Kyung-gu (The Long Way Home) to headline. The actors are both considering positively and in final negotiations to star.
The new film from writer-director Byun Sung-hyun of My P.S. Partner is about a detective that goes undercover as an inmate in a prison for revenge, and befriends the second-in-command of a criminal organization. Im Shi-wan has been cast as the detective on a revenge mission, and Sol Kyung-gu will play the mobster he enters prison to get close to.
The story will extend beyond prison as well, with the detective entering the criminal organization through that connection, and the movie will be about the events during his extended undercover operation. It’s too bad that Im Shi-wan won’t be returning to television anytime soon, but it’s just as well, since he’s choosing solid movie projects alongside veterans. Im Shi-wan is currently shooting the crime caper One Line, and Sol Kyung-gu has Lucid Dream with Go Soo and Murderer’s Guide to Memory with Kim Nam-gil on the way.
Hooligan plans to start shooting this year.
Via Star News
- Im Shi-wan out of Entourage, Seo Kang-joon probably in
- Crime movie One Line: Lee Jong-seok out, Im Shi-wan in?
- Kim Nam-gil up for thriller opposite Seolhyun, Sol Kyung-gu
- Im Shi-wan chooses period film Thoughts of Oppa
- Im Shi-wan: “I had to take Misaeng”
- Go Soo, Sol Kyung-gu offered suspense thriller Lucid Dream
- Sol Kyung-gu and Yeo Jin-gu courted for war movie
- Ji Chang-wook and Sol Kyung-gu team up for Joseon cop comedy