Open Thread #463

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Hi there

how you doin´?

I was missing in action literally last week from OT cause I was in the bush. Yeah. Printing on fabric, with leaves. we had around 49 children there, some were drawing amulets for themselves, some were studying botany through leaves and guessing what tree or plant they are from and others were printing. It was fun, but I became nervous and cranky cause I had to sit around and wait for the workshop for 9 hours.

I also got very sad news. a colleague died of pancreatic cancer. He was a true mentor and a role model, a captain for our whole team. A very dignified gentleman with great wisdom and a sophisticated sense of humor. He put up a good fight, lasted almost 2 years, but had to surrender at last. We rang the bell of the submarine for him. sounding the steamship siren would have reqcuired a permission from the city so we couldnt do that. anyway, sad that he´s gone, but we´re so much richer for having known him. It is a real miracle that we had this chance.

I have been watching BOGUMMY!!!! and YooJung in Moonlight (they are ALL I have eyes for...) well, ok, everything else is absolutely wonderful as well.

and watching Teachers´ show as well, but only for the action. some scenes there are a bit embarrassing... even when they seemed neat in the previews. But Teacher is ace.

and then I went back to watching some music shows - I Can See Your Voice season 3 (I became a fan of Jessi! This girl is so funny!) and others but there are too many! What are the best ones and what are the most watched? No idea, don´t have time for them all. Still watching episodes of King of Masked Singer here and there, but not very continuously.

So my QUESTION today is: which music shows do you watch / recommend? What is your fav. episode from that show or performance to take notice of? Which of them do your friends /family love the most?

Yeah. Bo gum and yoo jung !!!!!! Those eyes, those emotions. :)

I watch girl spirit lately... I find it entertaining
I also like duet song festival and ICSV S3, following it since season 1 and my fave are, Chi yeol, all the real Naul, Bang Se Jin, and for season 3, the Seoul Uni Moon Haneul,
I really like park hyo shin and his voice is exactly give that charm,
my favorite is still ICSYV and for S3, moon haneul

for king of mask singer, I like cleopatra, att Tei's performancr, guitar man, music commander, farinelli, amazon cat, general kim and some good song in between,

I second Duet Song Festival, and add Fantastic Duo. Too many good singing shows, too many good dramas now.

I find fantastic duo is too long... 2 ep for the performance.
I prefer to watch the clip from youtube.. hehe
but I really like when they combined the singing video, it really entertaining....

Just curious, why do you call Jun-ki "teacher"?

lol and here I was wondering who she meant by "teacher". Yea I'm curious, why is he "teacher"?

aka Scholar Who Walks the Night, right?

*waves at redfox*

Condolences on the loss of your colleague...

I finally got around to marathoning SWWTN and TWO WEEKS last week, and enjoyed them as warm-ups to MOON LOVERS: SHR. (Sword)hwaiting!

because his skills in fight scenes and making his own stunts made me regret an awful lot that I never learned any martial arts, so now he is my imaginary Teacher and I am the student.

Not forgetting to mention his good horse riding skills too !

That's so sweet... And yeah, I sometimes wish it had been an option when I was a lot younger than I am now... I injured a knee in high school and was in agony for years. Between that and scoliosis, beating the hell out of my joints just wasn't appealing.

Truth to tell, one of my girlfriends took up taekwondo when we were in our late 20s-early 30s. She earned her black belt (don't recall which level), but eventually had to stop because of shoulder injuries from ground crewing for hot air balloons and volunteering as an EMT.

Maybe in the next life. In the meantime, I'm leaving it to the professionals... Besides LJG, I also admire Jang Hyuk and Kang Dong-Won. Not to mention Jackie Chan. ;-)

redfox -

Sorry to hear the news about your colleague.

Moonlight is pretty great indeed! Both lead actors are fantastic.

Regarding your question, I still watch King of Mask Singer, where Cleopatra's performances were excellent. There have been many singers on that show, but I still remember his. ...... As of late I've started to watch Duet Song Festival. Also many good performances here, but so far for me, Sandeul and the young lady who sings with him have been a real standout.

All of this plus I love Music commander the most even though I loved Cleopatra's performances. Too many singers and also too many music shows. I like Immortal songs after King of Mask Singer. Duet Song or Fantastic duo- I watch once in a while - honestly who has time with all the dramas airing (and countless number of old dramas to watch - more reason for me to look forward to retirement (or being rich/hit jackpot/win lottery).

btw redfox - your life sounds so interesting regardless of what you say.

Hi redfox - interesting question. Since I am a fan of Hwang Chi Yeul, I would recommend the Immortal Songs episodes he has appeared on. If I had to pick just one, maybe 'Immortal Songs 2 | 불후의 명곡 2: The 7 Legends Special (2015.05.23)" since there are some awesome musicians and singers in that episode.

If you're a fan of Hwang Chi Yeul, you're probably aware of that he won 3rd place in China's I'm a Singer 4 early thi year. I was quite heart-broken as my teenage idol Hacken Lee from HK was ousted. To be objective, I think HCY did put up a great performance, his singing was very impressive, but Hacken's singing was flawless too, I think it was more because k-pop has increasingly become much more popular in China, and nowadays, not many people in mainland china appreciate canto-pop from HK, so this sort of put Hacken at a disadvantage. Anyway, all of them are great singers whom we should respect, and we shouldn't get too serious about the outcome as it relied solely on audience's voting. Here's HCY's collection from I'MAS4, enjoy!

Hi Pebble - yes, I am a fan of Hwang Chi Yeul. In fact I am obsessed with him :) I am in my sixties and for the first time I am obsessed with a celebrity who I look up to as a role model even though he's young enough to be my son. Truly am blessed to have watched I Am A Singer 4" on cable TV here in Singapore by accident, otherwise I'd never have known about HCY. I like Hacken Lee, he's a good friend of HCY. Did you watch SuperGirls singing competition, where Hacken has been a judge a few times, and HCY has been the judge on seven occasions? Love their bromance.

@Pebble I forgot to say thank you so much for posting that link to HCY's IAAS4 compilation! in case you missed it, here are two Eng-subbed videos showing mostly HCY at SuperGirls competition. Your idol Hacken Lee is seated next to him ... enjoy :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k7KuVC6bbg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjv22_Y1SdQ

Hi @cynkdf, many thanks for the links, I just finished watching them, Hacken and HCY seemed to feel very at ease in the show, they did have good rapport, no wonder you said they are good friends. :)

I've lost track of the development in the chinese music/drama scene after moving to Australia many years ago. Nowadays, I hardly watch any variety shows or dramas from HK, Taiwan or even China. I only check out the MV on youtube for any new releases of songs by some of the singers I used to like.

As for HCY, for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be as popular in korean as in china. I do think he can sing very well though, much better than many of the singers in the more popular kpop groups. I love his song 연필 (Pencil), it is so beautiful as he sang it with such deep emotion!

@Pebble, the only Chinese or Korean variety shows/music shows I follow feature Chi Yeul :) I do sometimes watch on local cable TV the older TVB dramas starring the likes of Gallen Lo. Yes, Chi Yeul is more popular in China than in his own country *shakes head * Hopefully his OST for "Moonlight Drawn By Clouds" aka "Love in the Moonlight" will make him more popular in S Korea - it's due for release the week of 12 September.

Love reading your praise of "Pencil"; my favourite song by Chi Yeul is an OST he sang for "The Great Seer". It's the haunting "Sky Road".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou1xk5h-t7w Must apologize for the spamming - I think it's extremely rare for Chi Yeul to be mentioned on DB so when he does get mentioned, i shall take the opportunity to post as many links as I can (within reason :)).

Thanks @cynkdf, imo, HCY's deep husky voice sounded a bit like Park Hyo Shin, do check out his Flower Letter, Iljimae ost

@Pebble, wow - thanks for that link to Park Hyo Shin's beautiful OST for Iljimae. I love Chi Yeul's voice but have to concede he has yet to reach PHS' level as a vocalist.

@Pebble, it has been a pleasure "talking" to you about Chi Yeul. In case we don't get to talk again about him :) ... I'll leave you with this stirring rendition of "悟空" Wukong from "The Monkey King" performed by Chi Yeul at his Beijing concert on 26 August. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzIejsL2DXE

Hi superfox,

Sorry for the sad news in the workplace. It's always hard.

ICSYV: Jessi, she was the best, and then Joonyoung is the next guest and this week is John Park and he was the best I've seen in guessing. It's a fun music show.

I'm also impressed with the longevity and quality of Masked Singer and how it has become the wanna be show for actors and singers. The great thing is that there really is room for many people with a wide range of talent.

I also marathoned Boys24 mainly because of the judge panel from Mnet's Dancing 9. But Dancing 9 season 1 and 2 were way way better. I would definitely recommend watching them - i think you can find Dancing 9 on MNET's site.

Last of all, I absolutely love Immortal Songs 2, I watch it faithfully every Saturday when it is subbed and it never ceases to amaze me how beautifully it links today's singers with Korean singers of the past. it it a tribute to Korea's rich music history and, as many of the younger participants have noted, has given them an appreciation for that music history (me, too).

ah, thank you, owl, Immortal Songs sounds interesting too. If only I had enough time for everything...hopefully there is no restriction for my country on those sites.

oh thanks a lot everyone, I will start from the specific performances you mentioned and maybe check out Duet Song Festival.

Hi everyone
Suggest me kdrama which gives strong second lead syndrome.

School 2015, Reply 1988

I wouldn't say Reply 1988 will give you strong second lead syndrome because it depends on which OTP you're rooting for. For me, the one I thought was second all the way ended up being the husband and I couldn't be more than happy for that! For my case, I predicted the husband correctly and so second lead ends up with the guy :P

I meant with the girl* (damn autocorrect!)

Oops in my case I referred RJY as the second lead bcos he didn't get the girl. But i can see why PBG would be thought of as the second lead instead

For a female second lead syndrome (and the ultimate worst I've ever experienced), it's doctor stranger

^hear, hear!

Same. Still, feel betrayed that they weren't OTP. Even more than WAY: S2015

I'm just curious- why do you want to have second lead syndrome? Because it just seems to be frustrating to me because in the end the guy won't get the girl!

I'm totally into second lead syndrome. I am just loving it.

I'm not sure about the OP but as for me I can fool myself into thinking that he's the main lead in my own drama in which the female lead is demoted to second lead role and I'll be saving him from his heartbreak.
All of these will only happen in my imagination before I go to sleep though. Hee.

I'm not sure what genre you like. So, here's a few.

Sungkyunkwan Scandal
You're Beautiful
Who Are You School 2015
Marriage Not Dating
Boys Over Flowers ?

Oh.. Add She Was Pretty to that list.

I am indifferent with she was pretty, imo HJE and PSJ character fit real good but Siwon probably many people ideal boyfriend,
while in the story, HJE clearly doesn't match SW.
For me it wasn't a 2nd lead syndrome but a guy who fit her and fit the viewer.

+100. I love Siwon and I loved his character but I had no SLS.

Marriage not dating???

ohhhhhhh, I thought the same but then it came to me who second lead is for you. My SLS in that show didn't last very long but he is a cutie!

You've guessed right. ?

How did you get second lead syndrome with You're Beautiful?? Haha. For me it was Tae Kyung all the way! Pig rabbit!

Actual truth: I have a pig-rabbit charm on the strap of my bag.

No one realises it's a kdrama thing, but I have a little chuckle inside every time I see it.

Aw, that's so cute! My thing from You Are Beautiful and a little BOF is stars, especially necklaces.

Shin Woo (Yong Hwa) definitely gave me second lead syndrome in You're Beautiful. Even Jeremy gave me 3rd lead syndrome when he sang on the bus!!!

BTW, anyone else think Yoon Sung (Jinyoung) in Moonlight Drawn By Clouds is totally the same character as Shin Woo in You're Beautiful?

Omg! YB! I'm remembering Yong Hwa back in that drama. Totally had second lead syndrome because of him too!

I had 3rd lead syndrome because of Jeremy. It was even worse in the Taiwanese version. No SLS because Shin Woo annoyed me more than Taekyung.

Yes to Moonlight! When Yoon Sung bought the Hansol for her, I got YAB feels. Maybe it's because I like Jinyoung irl more than Yonghwa but I felt it this time. Still not cheering for Yoon Sung though because Yeon & Ra On chemistry is lit.

Agree with purpleowl
Notcheering for jinyoung but I think I'll still get heartbreak when he's heartbroken
Those longing eyes..?

Btw I recommend Reply 1994. I assume you've watched it already though

Oh, my kpop side is affecting my tablet. Typo:

*Hanbok

Oh my god You're Beautiful is (for me) the ultimate SLS omgomgomgomg -cries-

This thread is making me realize how rare SLS is for me. I wanted Kim Hyun Joong's character for me minus the whole DID NOTHING during a rape attempt. But not for her. Jan Di & Jun Pyo all the way.

same, SLS is rare for me as well, i think i have had two, that was in hana yori dango and your beautiful, but for HYD it soon passed and i was shipping domyouji and makino although i still loved rui as a character. i never really get SLS, they are usually presented as the perfect guys for the heroine and its kind a boring for me

My Girl (2005).

+1 for My Girl <3 to LJK

This was the drama that introduced me to Second Lead Syndrome, and no wonder - look who the second lead was!

Oh, yeah -- got SLS'd by that one, too... A novel experience after watching LJG only in sageuks.

That was the first thing I ever saw him in and I think only the second kdrama I'd ever watched, imagine poor unprepared me......

Heavens to Murgatroyd! Talk about baptism by fire. But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, hehehe... ;-)

Check out Mary Stayed Out All Night, you will fall in love with considerate and sensitive Jung-in (Kim Jae-wook)

oooh boy, yes.

Kim Jae-wook will also give you serious Second Lead Syndrome in Who Are You (2013). Poor ghostie!

That's right, the sadness and yearning in the eyes of this poor ghostie can melt any heart!

And while KJW didn't get SLS'd in COFFEE PRINCE, he did get dumped a second time. :-(

Aw! Kim Jae Wook in Mary Started Out all Night. I loved him. Especially his guitar trauma (I'm a bit of a sadist huh?) I didn't want him to "get" Mary though. I wanted them to be a family and Jae Wook be the adorable, rebellious son because he couldn't rebel in his real family.

Heirs gave me the strongest SLS, though I don't exactly want Kim Woo Bin with Park Shin Hye's character per se, I just really want him to have happiness.

yeah, his character was awful but I still wanted him to be happy. And he really did have incredible chemistry with Park Shin-hye, though I wanted him to move on with Kim Ji-won.

leesung -

Check out Best Love (also known as The Greatest Love). ....... absolutely great second lead there!

Si-Won gave me my first major case of SLS in SHE WAS PRETTY. He was so much more fun than the popsicle she insisted on ending up with...

Just remembered another case of major league SLS: Lee Ki-Woo in FLOWER BOY RAMEN SHOP.

Why? Why did you mention it? I was having the hardest time coming up with my SLS occurrences. This was the first and the deepest (until Chilbong).

They were meant to be. I didn't even realize Il Woo was lead until the kiss. I was new to dramas and so confused. Well, at least they're together I real life. That's some consolation. *at least they were when I checked after Lucky Romance ended*

Sorry about that, chief! ;-)

The whole fate thing, with the fortune teller and the shooting star or whatever was all the tip-off I needed. Hyung didn't stand a chance with fate against him.

Speaking of fate: Daniel in FATED TO LOVE YOU.

I remember fate being in there but not the specific moments you mentioned. Guess I need to rewatch ?

I didn't really have SLS for Daniel. But I did want one of my own, especially that orange suit around ep 7-9. First "crazy" suit I noticed and loved.

@Purple Owl,

Geez, I only watched FBRS three months ago, but marathoned it, so my recall was iffy until I looked at my log. Aha...The first episode subtitle is "For Whom the Bell Tolls." It wasn't a shooting star, it was the tolling of a church bell around Christmas that signalled the female lead had met her fated love... as foretold by a fortune teller, IIRC. I must have had Star of Bethlehem on the brain. ;-)

I watched it right after THE CLASSIC, which had a terrific OST/BGM -- and starred Zo In-Sung, Cho Seung-Woo -- and Lee Ki-Woo. I think it's Cho Seung-Woo who ends up with SLS in that one. Great film with a couple of nifty twists.

As for FTLY, I've forgotten the orange suit... Ocular trauma may have necessitated total suppression. My favorite part is Lee Gun's shampoo commercial. Jang Hyuk is so over the top... Hmm, plus I loved his bromance with Director Tak (Choi Dae-Chul).

Re: FTLY

Greatest drama opening ever! I was so confused but glued to my scene. One of the few shows I've rewatched because of Lee Gun, snail fingers, the bromance & Nara eonnie.

*glued to my screen

YES! FBRS was the show where I first heard about 2nd lead syndrome - I had inadvertently always been for the OTP in previous shows.

Won Bin from Autumn in My Heart and Kim Woo Bin from The Heirs.

She Was Pretty, Sassy Go Go, Valid Love (though technically enither guy was a second lead...).

what about second lead syndrome for a girl though? Who is not a bitch? Like maybe Protect the Boss (cant the girls just ditch the little whiny chaeboil and go travel the world together?)
and 38 Task Force made me wonder why Sooyoung was the lead actress instead of Lee Sun Bin

Sassy Go, Go - thinks of my co,mentioned further down *sobs*

I can't even proofread. That's how upset I am.

First time I watched "Greatest Love" (or Best Love) I shipped the 2nd lead (plastic surgeon doctor) so hard I didn't even like the ending. (But then I watched it again and now I'm okay with her ending up with the actor--who was such a jerk. It was my first k-rom com and I didn't realize almost ALL leading men are cold, cruel, self-centered, and heartless.)

And if we're talking 2nd lead, in Queen Seoduk (sp?) I really wanted her to wind up with Kim Yu-shin, who instead entered into a marriage of convenience with one of the bad guy's daughters. (Since it was historical, I forgave that one. I mean, can we change history just because it's what my heart wants?)

I'm positive that Queen Seondeok's first male lead is Kim Yu-shin though. Then again, judging by people's love for Bidam it's probably the right recommendation anyway.

AM/Reply 1988 and "I Need Romance 2012" (Kim Ji-seok's 2nd male lead character is the epitome of 2nd lead syndrome; not overly saccharine and hence, a bit boring like Yoon Kye-sang's in "The Greatest Love").

Surplus Princess.

T__________T

Lol. Why am I not surprised?

I think I have many, but can't remember all of them right now. Just to mention one: Autumn in My Heart with Won Bin as the second lead. It's not that I want him to end up with the main girl. It's just that I find him way sexier than the main guy.

For me.. choi young do (Heirs)

And i thnk i will gt huge crush towards scnd male lead in jealousy incarnate! Go kyung po why so charming????

Hi Beanies! Was MIA last week because I sacrificed sleep for drama watching (Moonlight, W: I blame you) and then semi collapsed in bed from Friday evening till Sat late morning. Thank goodness the kid is well and the husband is back from his trip! ?

Watching:
Moonlight- seriously I'm loving the show So Much! I've been staring at my Hat Wearing gif more than should be normal.

W- I'm worried I won't be getting a happy ending. They didn't even get to take a photo together yet! ?

Age of Youth- Season 2 please!

Anyone else watching Love O2O (Cdrama)? I'm only at episode 14. Yang Yang is super cute, if a little bit... Robotic? Not sure if it's the role or just him. I like the game scenes better than the real life ones because the girl BFFs are starting to annoy me a little bit. Plus a super capable kick ass heroine character is always great. I also really love the opening song!

@purple owl: Yay for another Aaron Yan fan! You mentioning him also reminded me that he did a movie with Kim So Eun and I need to find out what happened to it. Because I really want to watch it. I haven't had time to catch up on School 2013 yet ? hopefully this week!

Shout out to Beanies Down Under @pebble and @thursdaynexxt: Finally starting to feel the warmer weather!

Ok going to crash because I need to be up early tml- I've started Korean lessons! It's really fun because I've made friends with classmates who are fellow drama watchers! Haha.
Have a good week Beanies!

YAAASS I have started watching Love 020 and it is craaaaaaack. I am a sucker for an emotionally chilly guy who warms up when he meets true love. And as icy as Yang Yang's character can be whenever he chuckles it's UNF. I mean the guy looks like someone genetically blended Song Jae-Rim and Lee Jun Ki together, how can he be a real human being?

I actually started reading a fan translation of the novel it's based on. (I'm not reading ahead of what I'm watching). Very interesting, the stuff in the novel so far is 98% accurately put into the drama; everything involving the supporting characters is the made-up filler. Now I see how they were able to adapt the novel into a movie as well as a TV show (different casts).

omg!! can i PLEASE have the link for the translated version?
My chinese reading has deteriorated to abysmal levels but I'd love to be able to read the novel. I could only find it online in chinese.

I think Yang Yang looks like Aaron Yan. Who is a hottie too. But I kinda get where you are coming from with the SJR- LJK hybrid XD

@alessar
I watched up to epi 17 and omg Yang Yang can KISS. ? I couldn't load epi 18 for some stupid reason and so I slept late trying to watch. And failed. Which is why I woke late and missed my train to class ?
On the bright side I can now say I'm dying for the next few episodes and hope you can point me to the translated novel! Thanks!

I'm watching Love O2O/ Just One Smile is Vet Alluring. As a fan of the original novel, Yang Yang is definitely acting Xiao Nai right. Zheng Shuang as well, for that matter.

If you've read Gu Man's novels, you'll see that XN is like a combination of two of her other heroes. However, XN 's more expressive than Yichen and less authoritative than Feng Teng. I think Yang Yang's bringing that across pretty well. I've been hooked. It's been a near perfect adaptation so far.

Sadly my Chinese isn't up to scratch for me to read the novel unless it's translated to English. I'd probably have to read the book with a dictionary next to me ? Do you know if they have any that are translated?

감사합니다! Thank you so much!! Yay!
행복해요! I am happy! (We just learnt this today in class ?)

Going to check it out now!

Cdrama O2O: I'm not currently watching it. Been waiting for it to end first so that I can marathon it some time later. I've watched the movie version though. I didn't think the male lead in the movie has the visual of the male lead in the story, but I don't know why I warmed up to him and ended up liking him by the end of the movie (though personally I still think his portrayal is not as close to my interpretation of the male lead in the original story). I also think visually the actress in the movie suits the character better (she is supposed to have an hourglass body), but I'll need to watch the drama before I can make a comparison between both actresses' portrayal re. the character's personality.

I'm going to watch the movie after I'm done with the drama.

The drama female lead (sorry can't remember her name) looks awfully skinny to the point that it's slightly distracting so you are probably right that Angelababy fits the character's figure better. That being said I like her acting a lot and she is very natural and fresh, it's just that in the drama they keep commenting on her "great figure" so I can't help but notice it.

my friend sends me yang2 gif to convince me...
he looked so good.
I think I'll watched it later, it's on my list with other yang2 drama, I just never watch any of his drama despite knowing it happen, the luck isn't on me.
What's the best yang2 drama to start?

I haven't watched him in anything else but OMG the boy is a good kisser. Hahaha. (Sorry I'm still spazzing after watching last night!)

Tdramas and Cdramas seem to have better kisses in general than kdramas. Probably one of the best kisses in a Kdrama was the one in W... A lot of the rest kind of feel darn awkward to me.

But did you watch Oh Hae Young Again?!?! There was one kiss scene in there that totally killed it... In general, I usually find most Asian dramas have mediocre kisses. But on the other hand, I haven't watched that many C-dramas or T-dramas to compare.

Oh no I didn't watch OHYA... But it's just a general observation. I'm sure there are exceptions on both sides.
Just that the few Taiwan/China actors who I think are hot all happen to kiss on screen very well. ?
Jerry Yan, Aaron Yan and now Yang Yang. Hahaha.

Hi @Michykdrama, yes, temperatures are going to hit the 20s next week! Spring is really in the air!! Do have a great "Father's Day" celebration with your husband and kid this sunday. :)

Thanks! ? I'm so happy the sun is setting later so my kid has more time outdoors to play. And 20s sounds wonderful. Have a good weekend and week ahead!

I'm not sure about Aaron Yan's movie with Kim So Eun either. The talks about it started last year but not sure if is really happening or not. I already imagined those two in one movie but seems like still no news / updates about it. I hope it is still happen, though.

Yeah I can't find anything about it either ? Not sure if it even happened, but I was under the impression it was coming out this year.

I'm watching Love O2O as well! It's so light and fluffy, and the leads are so cute, I've been able to ignore the annoying second lead characters and XN's occasional bout of stalking so far (seriously, hacking a girl's laptop is not cute). And I love that the female lead is studying tech for once.

Yes! I love the female lead so much! She is tough and has a fierce side (she actually wants to get revenge when people wrong her in the game), she is awkward and cute with Xiao Nai and I'm glad she has good girl friends (even if they are a bit annoying). At least they aren't fighting over the same guy (I really hate it when girl friends become enemies over a guy). Im glad she isn't a candy character- she can fix her own motherboard and circuit breaker too, how awesome is that!

@Michykdrama,

I thought you were awfully quiet. ;-)

Congrats on your Korean class!! Hwaiting!

PS -- And here in New Jersey, we're having the most glorious cool weather... Terrific sleeping weather, if only I were keeping proper diurnal hours -- which have been kaput thanks to Kdrama watching. I'm looking at you, MOON LOVERS.

Yeah the mind may be willing but the flesh is weak. I need my sleep! Lol.

This batch of dramas is really good though and I know what you mean because I want to watch them ASAP! Which is bad for sleep and normal daily life. Haha.

Oooo I'm starting it. I finished 11 episodes in... 4 days? Yang yang is so good looking... yes, he's a bit robotic. I don't know if that's because his character is supposed to be cold/unfeeling. But he does give a godlike aura. Haha. I like the plot... geeks fall in love. The cheese is great too. Xiao Nai is a bit too perfect (I wish they'll develope his dark side a bit more. Make him a bit more human). My second Cdrama (first was Victoria's Beautiful Secret).

Haha yes Yang Yang/Xiao Nai definitely has a god like aura. I think that's why I like the game parts better because his character is more suited for that era where the guys were all stoic and cool. Haha. But the behind the scenes bits are cute because he is a lot more friendly and he smiles a lot there! Hee.

Ooo that's interesting. I gotta hunt down BTS. His smiles ??? this drama is enticing me to pick up/learn Chinese. I haven't spoken it for over 10 years (except the occasional greeting and that one time vacation to asia).

Yup! I'm actually revising a lot of Chinese. Haha. I find Chinese harder than Korean because it has no alphabet so everything is sheer rote memory. Which is why I have forgotten so much despite learning it for so many years.

I can't find the BTS with subs though. But from episode 17 onwards Xiao Nai smiles a lot more ?

Hi, Michykdrama!

I'm glad you recovered from your drama caused exhaustion. Did you get a IV a lá W2W?

I love the hat gif so much! Yeong's smirk, swoon ? Why isn't it Monday yet?

I was the same with the picture. I was like KC before you go to fix the world(s) take a simple picture! And now he's back and wants to finish the date. To me, more important than the kisses and romance is the picture. I'll be sad if we don't get one ep 14.

Would you recommend Love O2O? I've been seeing it but hadn't had the push to start it yet. Looks like Aaron Yan, you say? Yay!

Wait what? Aaron Yan/Kim So Eun did a movie? I want. And I want now. Too bad it sounds like the news on it suddenly stopped. Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised one day.

I want to say ppali, ppali with S2013 but maybe you should wait until W2W is over. Might help with the withdrawals kekeke. And we don't want you crying over 2 Lee Jong Suks.

Best wishes with your Korean lessons ?

"And we don’t want you crying over 2 Lee Jong Suks."

LOL!

Haha. No IV thankfully! I must rather put in IVs for people than to get one for myself. ?

Love O2O is fun, the leads are pretty especially Yang Yang and he has this aura of invincibility that suits the game character very well. It's a bit slow at times because it's 30 episodes but so far (epi 17) I'm pretty entertained. I love the female lead because she is tough and independant, definitely no damsel in distress, but also insecure and has self doubts, and she doesn't mind taking revenge on people who bully her in the game- she is quite realistic actually! Haha. I really like her.

I'm going to get on with the School 2013- maybe on Monday when the kid is in school! I don't think I'll be crying over Kang Chul though. I'm more likely to cry over his character in School- he is such a puppy! Brings out all my mama bear tendencies. ?

You have a good week ahead!

Are all 30 episodes of Love O2O out? I appreciate a solid female lead. Maybe I'll watch it when I finish my current Aaron Yan drama.

Well, as long as it's only one LJS who will affact you that way. Go Namsoon is one of my favorite characters ever.

Have a good week!

The episodes are all out but not subbed yet. As of now I think the subs are up to epi 22. I had to watch epi 18 raw though because all the sites had some problem and the subbed version had no sound.

So far the female lead hasn't disappointed me yet, and I'm at episode 19.

Oh and Yang Yang isn't dubbed in the show! The low and manly voice in the show is actually his own! Which is very rare in Cdramas. Or so I'm told. Do watch when you are done with Aaron's drama. ?

There are less voice dubbing in contemporary cdramas because RL people do speak with varying degrees of regional accents. I think only female lead actress and a few minor characters are dubbed in this drama.

So, I've finally decided to finish the last three episodes of Mirror of the Witch. Oh wow, maybe I should have waited. I got another round of "Do you want to quit school?" with my mother because she found me bawling at dawn while taking a break from my readings with MOTW. Hahahahahaha.

I'm currently on episode 12...I'm glad I decided to save this on my Marathon list...I don't know how everyone waited every week for episodes!

I've actually watched it live but couldn't get myself to finish the last three episodes. I was putting it off because I can't say goodbye to this series just yet. Separation anxiety. ? But I am glad I did finish it. No regrets. Have fun marathoning it. ?

Me too!!! Just finished the whole series last week, right after my vacay in Philly ^^ It got a little boring in the middle, but it was a good drama overall~

1 ✔ off. Your paused list interest me sooooo much lol.

And your mom's reaction! Love it.

happy OT, I think my post gonna be long and it maybe contain a spoiler for the general impression,
this drama week is crazy for me
Scarlet Heart: Ryeo : I find the opening is lacklustre tbh,
as an individual story this story still doesn't has any plot for the heroine,
yes she happen to be the witness that already resolves in ep 3 so nothing left,
part of my confusion is because it already 3 episode, what exactly the plot for the girl who came from the future here?
she didn't knew anything and didn't used anything from 21st century for a goodness,
part of killing PTSD may looked like from the future but I think it's the general human feeling when you are used to different environment,
doesn't have to be 21st century, imo the biggest asset of the future that the present and the past doesn't have is the information ,
it seems that anything that happen will happen at the same way with or without her appearance and it's 3 episode already,
if it 2 episode, I might hold back but 3 episode and if we actually watch this in weekly span, it looked even slower,

So, I think there's a clear distinction when you saw this 3 episode separately and if you marathon it,
marathon the 3 can elevate them because it seems like the plot move fast, someone got treason, someone got stabbed, people die, comspiracy etc,
but seeing it with gap showed that they used several jokes again and the amount of fanservice + weird jokes is taken many screen time than the actualy plot scene,
I wonder if the editor watch in marathon before finalised it or not,

The biggest fault for me is the director for all the zoom + weird shot and the writing for not having the linked moment,
Editing team can do really great with all the beautiful transcition but if the director and the writer never imagine the scene, it hard to make the edit looked good,
in moonligt, the dancing scene would looked beautiful because they intended to make it like that, having separate shot and zooming for their facial expression,
so the editing team can used that for the transcition and enhance the meaning, even the ritual in moonlight looked good because they it intended to looked professional and good as a performance,
the pilot seems to show all the show weakness,
the one tone facial expression get zoomed, the overdone joke get replayed, the song always wants to be romantic but also played in suspense mode, ,
who cares about falling in love when you are in danger, give me some suspense BGM, (tta ta ta ta , ta ra ra ra ra )

overall I think SC:Ryeo try to make the fanservice as their main theme for the opening which didn't work,
people already knew how handsome the cast is, and tease them with bit of its flavor will worked better imo,
just show the shoulder or the long hair of the cast 1st, save the half naked for later,
also too much blank introduction than giving them enough time to breathed, ep 3 should be the 1st episode,

as adaptation : I find it really underwhelming,
at least have something that stay with the original beside girl from 21st century soul time travelled,
the other thing is real even with real historical figure, we can't played with that but the element of the original also need to be there,
like the history thing, the brother's bond or even the secret love's part, they want to make some of the prince have the original attitude but removed others,
14th is heroic and mature than the 10th (who is called idiotic), but we have it played as the same child portrayal in the korean version,
the heroine is careful because she realised she needs to be but HS is just reckless and acted like kid in playground, go everywhere and said everything without thinking, she supposed to be older
for 3 episode, my main problem is actually the 3 episode , the charm from the original is about how adaptable and knowledgable the heroine is

it feels like the Korean adaptation once again turn the female-centric stories into male-centric, even if it's too early to tell but it definitely give that vibe,
I don't mind a male-centric story but you are adapting another work that has different focus,
SC is about Ruoxi and everything happen by Ruoxi point of view but SC:R is more often about Wang So,
a real event, real historical figure that based on the real story, we don't badly need a 21st century girl in this matter,
except if they want to changed the history which hasn't show any sign for now,
then the love stories also taking a weird loop, it seems that the Korean force us for LJK and IU without giving enough chance for KHN,
by ep 3 in SC, we already knew the dynamyc of the 8th house and how Ruoxi will be fitted as love interest but in SC:R, it only fitted if they somehow make the wives want it so they can have the 8th heir,
without it since it looks like they are hurting the wives no matter what,
tbh even if they used the exact same persona like Ruoxi in the drama, it would always give the different outcome when they have a different setting and different prince with the different era ,

this love story actually make think
did people really turn off by polygamy?
I personally don't mind if all parties knew, it wasn't cheating when you told your spouse that you'll have serious relationship with other people,
the other can accept it or break it at that moment,
cheating start when you became serious and lied (this is debatable but my point is the willingness), polygamy has different breed since they want it to last with the past relationship (ideally),
related to the ancient era, it doesn't even looked weird if they are related couple (but not like real sibling),
why? because in the past, we don't know anything beside our nation, it takes days to travel outside the city with horse and somehow we just hope we found someone who like us back?
it hard to find another royal family outside our palace when we still...

I hoped that atleast HS knew a little history. The only thing that she knows well is doing makeup.

I don't really watch sageuks and perhaps one of the reason is me being annoyed by the accent
used in them. But surprisingly, in scarlet I actually wanted someone to speak in that authentic accent like in moonlight.I was glad whenever HS's cousin was on screen. She speaks the right way. I blame the writing for most of the things you said and the director for those close up shots. They could atleast show some royalty in the princes. They seem like teenagers having fun.

"The only thing that she knows well is doing makeup. " lol
Yeah, in C-original the girl knew about the history and (from what I remember) tried to intervene at times hoping not to mess up events in history, but ended up making impact.
Actually I liked Moon Lovers as much as Moonlight.

From what I saw, Haesoo does know about the history, just not in great detail. Goryeo history is more complicated with all the similar sounding names for princes & kings, and it was more than 1000 years ago. The succession in the Chinese history especially the most recent Qing dynasty which ended only 100 years ago is a lot more straightforward.

Actually all the princes are teenagers with the exception of Wang Mu. The younger princes are 14 or 15 years old, so I guess boys will be boys even 1000 years ago when it comes to having fun. Being royal doesn't mean you can't have fun and being so far removed in line from the throne, they are just like any other spoilt brats from rich noble families. The older princes are quite serious & mature. Surprisingly, since the drama is set in 942, the 3rd prince is only 19 and the 4th & 8th princes 17 years of age, much younger than I thought.

And this royal family is brand new as Taejo is the founder of the Goryeo, so I guess royalty doesn't come naturally & needs to be cultivated.

Hi @Sancheezy, I feel so "apologetic" that MLSHR is disappointing you so much because I'm actually enjoying the so-called fan service. Also, maybe because I did not watch BBJX, there is no basis for comparison, and I just treat the novel and MLSHR as two completely different stories. When it comes to LJK's drama, I'm probably rather biased, I seem more inclined to let things slide and accept its flaws. I actually do not want to see this drama end up being a major flop, like SWWTN. Hopefully, the upcoming episodes will not be as disappointing for you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I am sad to myself too, I want this to be succesfull for the cast, come on, it's the time for LHK and KHN
but I find they taking many things for granted, like LJK and KHN, they are good but they need to stop rely on just several cast,
I knew it problematic to said because the cast what is going on, still it hard for me to not noticing it.

Especially after watch the 15+ minutes preview highlight and those beautiful editing and the suspense,
I badly hope the show got better but I can't blame people who didn't tune in either.
At least they still got chance and only can go up from here.

@sancheezy I was not that hopeful about scarlet lovers either,but then that scene of So on the bath house with Su, that got me. Gosh all these years I have been hoping to love 'any' jun ki drama,but then I did not,or could not [for better words].From iljimae,to scholar who walks the night, I dropped them all.But for some unknown reason, so and his rueful attempt to get gelled into the brotherhood, struck me so bad. The guy even laughed, at the time su and the other prince were having a chicken fight. It's funny that they can't even imagine seeing him being kidnapped all this time, because of his frightening image. Anyhow, I am just happy that I would be enjoying this summer drama, just cause any drama from the season is keeping me hooked. I do watch all the new dramas too,but this is also one that I'm looking forward to. Just wished that I caught this later than I did, binge watching dramas from this genre works the best. Just for the sake of romance and all.
One small glitch though, I really thought kang ha neul's on screen wife was su's mother...She just looks too old to be his wife right? :S

I also really loved the cinematography. The historical picturesque backdrop like those lanterns, and the fights in the forest, makes me remind 'a house of flying daggers'.
I do get how every one might not be worked up about the drama,but end of the day success of one depends on luck too. We don't know what works out best for whom. For me, I love the story because it's quite eventful, and there is not one boring moment so far. Also IU shines more in these kind of characters imo..she is like the only funny link for this drama amidst all the seriousness, so the drama is starting to grow on me after second and third episode.

I find the landscape shoot and the editing are so beautiful,
but then if the scene isn't meant to look good and linked to the next scene, the editing just can do that much,

many scenes in actual drama looked good but not in a good order, it's disjointed for me,
the drama looked real good when I watched the 15+ minutes trailer but the real pilot doesn't resemble it,

tbh part me impressed of KHN and LJK and I hope more people appreciate it, at least more than 10%?
but then the overall drama is not that engaging in both fanservice or narrative unless you are the fan of the artist so I can't deny the lack of appeal,

that's how I start thinking what is exactly wrong and is that justified objectively,
sorry if this let some people down,

I feel the same, agree with every point you mentioned about SCR

@Sancheezy, I'm sorry that you didn't like SCR, and agree that a lot of things could be done better.

But I recently re-watched BBJX and honestly there wasn't any clear plot for the heroine either at first. For the first few episodes, all Ruoxi did was get into trouble and upset her sister and amused the princes. By the 3rd episode, she had already pushed 8th's 1st wife so that she fell and had a bloody forehead, gave 10th a black eye, set a dog on the princess, fought/head-butt with the princess until both fell into the water, get run over twice by the 4th prince's horse, sneaked out of the house such that the house-servants got beaten in punishment etc. Her behavior was worst than Haesoo. She became so notorious till she became the talk-of-the town that the king wanted to meet her.

In fact, Ruoxi was not careful but was even more reckless than Haesoo. She acted like kid in playground, went everywhere which I could never understand since I thought noble family daughters couldn't step outside the door, said everything without thinking, and rudely too, even to 8th's 1st wife even though she was supposed to be her senior. And she didn’t use anything from the 21st century either All she knew was the fates of the princes.

For the 1st few episodes of BBJX. I couldn't see the brother’s bond (I think you mean factions) since they were all still on good terms with each other. I'm not sure what you mean by secret love because as of Ep 3, there's no romantic love going on except that 4th & 8th seem interested in her. The 14th is supposed to be heroic, but you can't tell that from the 1st few episodes. In fact, all I can tell is 4th seems reserved, 8th is gentlemanly, 10th is playful, and there's no difference between 9th, 13th & 14th. The princes in BBJX are around 10 years older than their counterparts in SCR, so of course their behavior would be different, although 8th & 10th are pretty much the same.

No doubt BBJX is about Ruoxi but it is also about 4th, 8th & the other princes who are real historical figures, and 21st century girl Ruoxi did not manage to change history at all. She may have influenced some events, but that was much later in the story.

By ep 3 in BBJX, Ruoxi did not have any love interest, but she realised that she had no freedom to choose her husband since it would be decided by the king, which is the norm in that dynasty.

It is the setup
Since the 1st ep, Ruoxi knew all the prince fate based on history, she knew something that can change the future.

She get told she'll enter the maiden selection in 6 month
there's clear difference from have no plot related and knowing that there will be one.

Ep 2 told about the place she lived , the dynamic and other important character, she get out on the 1st time to explore the city and the 2nd time for trying to go ro the future, it speak better than Hae Soo because she has purpose to be there and not suddenly just be there

ep 3 wake her up from her modern sense view that everything can't work the same, freedom is not a choice and she need to decide her part. This is the 21st century mindset that get frustrating and knocked out for knowing it should played differently but can't .

Ruoxi is notorius for being brave because she used the mindset that everyone is equal but Hae Soo necer thought of her action

Based on my brief overview of the actual historical facts, here's my predictions for what will happen in Moon Lovers/Scarlet Heart:

The father/king dies. Maybe because of assassination or just naturally, or heart attack or something.

Mu/Crown Prince takes over. He is then assassinated/poisoned by Yo/3rd.

Yo takes the crown.

So/4th, loyal to Mu, decides to seek revenge and manages to take the crown as well. He marries Princess Brat because of political play.

10th/Eun will be loyal to 4th because he's friend with Hae Soo. I predict puppy love for him, transformed to friendship. He will have a "happy" ending because he's a bright character. Plus, in history, his child marries 4rth child so...

14th/Jung will be torn between 4th and 3rd because of his blood bond to both. It will be interesting to see how his story develops. I predict a tragic ending, because he's good at martial arts and cheerful, so he reminds me of 7th brother in Young Warriors of the Yang Clan.

9th will pledge loyalty to Yo/3rd because his character is not that developed yet, so he's probably not on the "right" side of history. Tragic ending possible.

8th... I have no idea. He'll probably side with 3rd? Just to create conflict with So. The added conflict will probably be influenced by his feelings of Hae Soo. As per the original, Hae Soo will be drawn to 8th, but will grow to love damaged 4th more. He will be on of those 2nd male lead with lots of suffering and angst. Hopefully not, but maybe tragic ending for him?

13th. He will either side with whatever side 8th is on, out of loyalty to Lady Hae, or will be against 8th because he's angry at his mistreatment of Lady Hae. Hopefully, he and Lady Hae will have a happy ending.

I was too lazy to study history, but glanced briefly to see the order of succession. 1st, 3rd, 4th. Seems like you're on to something.

There's this comment by Charlotte P in Episode 3 recap which I found helpful too.

Quote:
This is how it happens in Goryeo history: Taejo Wang Geon (the king) dies and the throne is passed onto the 1st prince Wang Mu (posthumous king name Hyejong). Historically, Wang Mu died of disease after reigning 2 yrs and was succeeded by the 3rd prince, Wang Yo (aka King Jeongjong). Historically, Yo died of disease after reigning 4 years and passed the throne to his younger brother, Wang So (aka King Gwangjong). Gwangjong reigned 26 years before dying and passing the throne to his son, Gyeongjong. Gyeongjong reigned 6 years and passed the throne to his cousin, Seongjong, the son of the 8th prince, Wang Wook. As for the fates of the other princes, the 9th prince Wang Won gets killed for planning a revolt against Wang So/Gwangjong. 13th prince Wang Wook/Baek-ah lives the longest among his brothers, and his son becomes the 8th king of Goryeo. 10th prince Wang Eun’s fate is unknown, but his daughter marries Wang So’s son and becomes queen.

Seems like in Korean case brothers were more civil and 8th had a good life, whereas in Chinese one 8th died in prison and that was the reason Rouxi tried to fight against fate and save him as she loved him ,in Korean this part probably will be omitted then, also, in Chinese version tho enough time is given to Rouxi's love line with 8th, 4th was there from the beginning too

I'm currently in love with Moonlight. It's been a long while since I cried and I was so surprised to tear up while watching the Dance scene in the last episode. It felt so beautiful but also so sad. Plus I love those micro expressions of PBY to show his different emotions and thoughts. KYJ and PBG are really great actors, the rest of the cast too.