Open Thread #464

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Hi how are you all?

writing a memo while my ear is tied up with garlic. it was locked the whole day and I am trying to make it better. they also said chew raw onion, cant do that though.

so, I cant hear you...oh, wait, this is a forum

dramas: Moonlight Drawn By Clouds (And Drool Of Swooning Noonas). seriously, I am going to fall sick and wither away cause I just cant take it any more how GOOD their acting is. I am a little exhausted from trying to find words to express it. I want to steal all of Byung Yeons´ costumes, that pleated thing and everyything (although the fabric was totally modern. I am not even bothered by it.

Scarlet Heart: only watching Teachers´ action scenes and their BTS. there is no one as smooth and skilled. no one. rest of the drama sometimes tries too hard

Law of the Jungle Mongolia: I really am only watching stuff with either Seo In Guk or Park Bo Gum, huh? but seriously, awesome cast and two reunions for Ingukkie. With Chunnie and with Lee Sun Bin. Ingukkie is so funny here with his fear of moths - but it is not right to laugh, the fear is a serious matter for the one being afraid. He is all action when it comes down to survival though. Sun Bin drooling on the helicoter so cute! This girl is a female MacGyver, my respect is growing.and crazy unnie from Oh Hae Young is truly bat cray.

but respite finding new I havent forgotten old loves, so I watched random episodes of Monster just to get a look at Park Ki Woong. I am not very interested in the plot and it is a hellofa long drama, but I´ve seen him, I am content. I wish he did something short and fun soon though.

my question today is what is in your treasure box - items, phenomenae and moments and maybe characters or lines sneaked away from dramas that you treasure the most and would never let just gather dust but constantly come back to?
I was going to ask for your single most favorite Bogummy moment, but that would probably bring about collective brain shut-down. too hard to choose.
TBC...

BTW that whole garlic thing is a total myth - it does not work - it just makes your ears smell bad.

And I gave up on Monster - I don't think they could have come up with a slower moving plot unless they planned it that way.

garlic already turned into omelet. I got tired of the smell and my ear is still stuck anyway

too bad about Monster. Hope it will be over soon so Ki Woong baby can choose something new and better.

Here for my #madlovefortaec.
And Boggumie's huge appetite for carbo, slowly but surely he consumes them with much gusto, he is a growing boy after all.
And Seo In Guk's well-deserved fame, heartriders would be proud of his ultra busy sched.

Say what they will of Taecyeon's acting skills or lack of it. The guy managed to get a hit drama with the pretty and super talented Kim So Hyun, a reality tv show, a comeback album with 2 pm and hopefully a 2017 calendar with OkCat. Then off to the army he goes, Seo In Guk, too.
Hey, Lee Min Ho, what are you up to nowadays?
Is he working on anything?

He's working on a project with Cheon Song Yi. XD

I gave up on Monster as well. These uber-long revenge melodramas (see: Glamorous Temptation) simply do not work, plot-wise (at least in my opinion). I think the shorter ones work better - Innocent Man, Secret, Beyond the Clouds, etc. Hotel King was an example of one that could have been improved if it was trimmed of 4 to 6 episodes. But these really long ones, they could be cut in half and it would still be too many episodes.

to answer your first question. I remembered reading a recap of a drama here in dramabeans, and in the drama, the scene showed cuts of people who made an appearance on the drama and there was a voice over (or was it a caption?) that said something like, "maybe in this story they are just side characters to someone else's story, but they are the lead characters in their stories."

I can't remember the drama.

on the Bogummy question... *brain shut down*

I know, with Bogummy. I get dizzy when I try to make up my mind, like those amnesiac characters in dramas who are trying to remember something too hard.

Your Bogummy crush will reach the level of Mary for SJR soon. lol He is cute and nice and all, but his eating made me worried.

May I ask what's wrong with his eating? *I really wanna know...

I knew he eats a lot and I like seeing him eats
so please elaborate what make you worried??..
is there something wrong with him?

@Sancheezy
I just thought he was eating a little too much - but then again it could be just high metabolism.

from an article:
"The star also listed the various hobbies that he has started, in order to try new experiences. He stated enthusiastically, "Badminton, tennis, swimming, jumping rope, and I like walking too. I do Pilates and yoga often when I'm alone and watch videos at home. In school, I'm learning ballet.""

I heard he´s also into diving and riding. so I think he spends all the energy he gets and uses every chance to load up

not really crushing, just in awe and almost disbelief how good he is.

Does anyone know from what drama that quote is?

"maybe in this story they are just side characters to someone else’s story, but they are the lead characters in their stories.”

It sounds super interesting and I would like to watch it. Please, beanies.

I saw that comment last night and keep racking my brains about it.

Maybe we should write to Name That Kdrama XD

Isn't that She was pretty ?
The one when Jung eum propose a new themes for The Most Magazine for their Anniversaries.

I feel like it's a really old show... it wasn't proposed by a character. Just the way the show narrated its closing remarks.

Why do I keep thinking about Woman Who Wants To Marry...?

Mixed up investigative agency aka Evasive Inquiry Agency. It comes at the end of one of the episodes with a montage of all the side characters.

I think this was the drama. I remember reading the recaps of this. I can't even remember the plot, but I remembered that line.

I checked the episodes, and yes, it is from Mixed Up Investigative Agency~!

actual translation by javabeans: (wow, I totally mucked it up)

“There’s no need to force yourselves to remember these people.
“It’s just that they’re all the main characters in their respective lives,
“So they’re too busy to participate in this story, that’s all.”

Hahaha thanks iluvjis and royal! :D

isn't it interesting? I always remember that quote whenever there's an interesting passing character on a drama I'm watching. Even bad guys.

I know that quote!!!
It's from something I saw this year...and I only went through 3 dramas: Beautiful Gong Shim, Lucky Romance and W. This should help narrow it down.

ahhh no. Because it's an old-ish drama.

my treasure box
Hisoka to Illumi
I knew I had problem but you are just as bad
or in the manga
I am fd up but you are a piece of work too you know
and Illumi just said "yeah"

for kdrama
I like watching a comeback moment
like in Secret when HJE said to BSB character and said "we could have been them" seeing a happy family (redacted for spoiler by myself )
Bidam to deokman about him being a duck . T.T
Nirvana in Fire (a lot)
Scarlet Heart , 4th prince to Ruoxi, "make the best out of it"
3Idiot Movie "when your friends failed you gonna be sad but you are sadder when they are above you" (lol)
Moonlight : Lee Young's line about not wanting his position taken away, the rascal soup and other,
Reply 1997: the episode about dream

Bogum moment : when he eats

@sancheezy are you from India

@semolina @sancheezy
Are you two from India?! I'm from Hyderabad ☺

haha no.. not from India, (I am sorry) but I love that movie...
3Idiot is really popular imo, you'll always get that as reccomendation when you asked about university theme movie.

I think I watch some of Bollywood movie, I like their music and their dance,
- Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham always gets me emotional, it just sad but and the song is addcting,
- 3Idiot is just perfect, all is well...
- I watched Kuch Kuch Hota Hai too... that romance is all about feeling.. I always really sad on the 1st half.

I really want to watch Neerja but I can't find the DVD,

Watch Rock On. It is absolutely stunning. Many people recommend movies like Zindagi Naa Milegi dinars, although not my favourite, it is a good slice of life drama. You should try watching the movie "Baby". If thrillers and hunting down terrorists are your thing, then this is hands down the best movie you will have seen in a long time (or I hope).

I love Khabi Kushi Khabi Gham! Parineeta is a favorite, and Jab We Met for the cute fun-to-serious-and-heart-stiring, and Devdas (even though it is sad), and Veer Zaara. Sigh! I miss Bollywood, but they really should be watched in one sitting, and I don't have three hours free at one span. Plus, I need the run-down on a good one before I invest that much time.

@Db I'm from Hyderabad too ?
Currently living in Melbourne but will be moving back soon

@HD *waves*

*When I was first introduced to kdramas, I didn't know where to start. The only thing I knew about Korea was through the news so just political stuff. You can imagine how glad i was to find dramabeans. And like a true fangirl I googled about our recappers too ? Turns out,jb has/had the same problem with Bollywood as I did with kdramas. So why don't we start a thread either in this or the next about Indian movies?

Words cannot describe how much love I have for Nirvana in Fire. That definitely goes in my treasure box.

So does The Disguiser.

For KDramas,
The Legend (even though I hate the end) and
Beautiful Mind

And for Bollywood
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (I loooooove Kajol)
Kabhi Kushie Kabhi Gham
Omkara
Dhoom
Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

I also love the theme song from Scarlet Heart (the Chinese one) to bits.

Ohhhh, me, too!! I have it on a continuous loop,.....
it permeates my day

Oooo - Omkara! So so good - A rebelling of Othella, and the context is so modern and perfect.

Oops - Othello

Good Lord! I'm Indian and I haven't seen any of these movies ?

Since I saw 3 Idiots movie, I'm gonna say "All is well" is definitely one of my most favorite lines of all-time.

Hands to your heart to say, "Aal izz well."

yeah “Aal izz well.”.....

I'm here for that Bogummy moments:
I'm having a hard time choosing between his smile and lip bite, but I can combine them right?
He took my breath away completely when he was smiling and biting his lips. First in AM 1988, then in Tomorrow Cantabile (I watched them in that order).

I don't know, but when he gets all jealousy and sulky I like it too (thinking back about him and Ra On in MDBC and him and Lee Hyun (SIG) in Hello Monster.

How did I miss that Gukkie was in Law of the Jungle! Thank you for the reminder.

My favorite PBG moments currently are
"Nice to see you again myung, myung"
Him forcing RaOn to pass her test. *it's like I had him over my shoulder today at my permit test. I really wanted to fail but knew I couldn't*
And his reaction to dongsaeng-hyung & RaOn talking about the prince

Honorable mentions:
Whenhe revealed he was CP
When he gave RaOn medicine
Choi Taek "dreaming" of kissing Duk Sun - I was not team Taek. Was barely team anything by that point. And that drama didn't give me as much PBG feels as I wanted. But that scene? That scene was perfect.
When Min saw Hyun at the prison and he went from civil to upset/glare/sad/mad, ugh! That's when I fell for his acting.
When he meets Nae-il at the water park. When I met him!

I really thought I could get away with 2 MDBC mentions and one from his 3 other dramas I've seen. Nope. Bo Gummie has joined the ranks of Lee Yi Kyung, Kim Minsuk, Lee Shi Un, Kwak Dong Yeon, Kim Kang Hyun, Yook Sung Jae, Kang Minhyuk, Kang Ha Neul, and the WC boys in my recall.

My all time favorite of all Kdrama - character

Me too. The 1st Korean character that I love....Bidam and now Crown Prince Lee Yeong after being addict to Kdrama after watching QSD there are so many good actors but few touch your heart while playing their role.

LoJ Mongolia with In Guk and Sun Bin IS awesome. She is so cool. She was on Radio Star and performed a song she wrote and played the guitar and did an awesome song in the end. She rocks!

Bo Gum was adorable on 1N2D in the lemon eating contest with a cute audience member. He is the most handsome polite person I've ever laid eyes on! Charm overflow!

so, in my treasure box there are:
Songs:
Gaksital hero theme
Jaywalking
Cool and Run (from 38TF)

Items:
Shin Se Gi´s red coat that I stole and Perry Park´s non-functional rice cooker bomb and Ahn Yoo Na´s lipstick
a miniature of Tae San on motorbike (Two Weeks)
and Byung Yeons´ whole wardrobe once Moonlight finishes.
a nail ring
Pigrabbit toy

Intangible souvenirs:
the rocker attitude of the Flower boy Band
girls cohabitation relationship in protect the Boss

Characters:
Choi Taek & Min (and I guess Yeong will jon them, good thing they only take up space for one person)
Cheok Sa Kwang
the unforgettable Woodalchi (can barely close the box, but it is worth it). I had Choi Young here as well, until he grew old and hairy in SFD. Then I put him in a home. Sorry...

Phrases, sounds:
Crazy Horse´s hiccups
"your taxes have been paid in full!"
"Jackson!"
"15 + alpha"
"Vicious and faithful dog" (arr!) and "I have a way to win!"
"I am worried about your health!" (actually, this is in the wrong box, it should be in the "Do not open, ever!" box buried 20 ft underground together with the tablet from W and the time portal from Faith)

guess what, I did chew raw onion. I can now compete with lemon-eating Bogummy

oops, I wanted to continue thread 1. Just refer back to the question

and Ninja Teacher. He is also in my treasure box.

redfox -

Ah yes, the red coat! It was quite nice.

"Jackson!" ..... *grinning* ..... This will always remind me of that drama.

When they started playing the 38 Squad theme in LotJ for SIG, I swear my heartrate shot up.

I want to answer the PBG question -- my favorite Bogummy moment was with SIG in ep 12 of IRY. When he said, you didn't even recognize me.

Please let us know if the onion thing works with your ear. Every time I go somewhere on a plane my ears plug and stay that way for days, I would gladly eat onions or garlic if that works.

@blnmom
I don't know about garlic/onion and such but for plugged ears on plane can I suggest an antihistamine? Choose a non drowsy one- zyrtec or telfast are the ones I take- and pop one before you fly off. Planes are terribly dusty and once your nose clogs up your ears clog up too (eustachian tube blocks up) and so they get plugged. Hope this helps!

@redfox
Not sure why your ear is blocked but I hope you get well soon! (Im not suggesting any meds since I don't know why your ear is blocked and there could be many reasons so I don't want to meddle) Take care!

Thanks, maybe I'll try that next time. I used to take 1/2 a Dramamine, but that would knock me out for days. They didn't have Zyrtec back then.

ah I know, that tune came, and then when the PD (?) or someone said "I always wanted to do this... Is it fun? This is how you con someone!" OMG that drama made an impact and many things go into countless peoples´ treasure boxes.

For your info, I have recapped LotJ with Seo InGuk! (And Lee SunBin and Yeh JiWon). Hey, with those three, I couldn't resist.

oh fantastic, thank you!

More good news!

I think it did make it much better, I also put a drop of campher oil in my ear. things I try... it is not as plugged as it was.

Ooh I like your question redfox!

Regarding items- some are imaginary and some I really have!
Off the top of my head...

Pig rabbit for sure- first kdrama!

The leather like plushie toys in Just You (T drama)- I actually found one that looks a lot like the toys in the drama and i bought it for real! (my husband thought i was mad since my kid didn't like it, but it was for me! not the kid XD)

That ring knitted into a scarf in Oh My Venus (darn cute way to propose!)

Soju bottle cap from Beautiful Mind (to remind me not to be judgemental)

Puuung Illustration Book from W- I made my dream a reality by ordering it and it is awesome. Im bringing to Korean class tomorrow to share with my W watching friends!

Capris and slippers- from Beautiful Gong Shim- because ADT wore them best!

I don't like onion and garlic.. I can't eat them if I saw them or even part of them, I only can eat it when I can't see the shape, like minced,
is that weird?

I'm the same actually. For me onion and garlic are just for the flavor so I'll only eat it when I don't have to chew on it (if that makes any sense). The same applies to ginger.

There are so many well written comments for the drama recaps this week, I’ve run out of adjectives to describe my afterthought, and especially, how fantastic Jun-ki had been, so I took the easy way out. :)

Drama emoji rating:

Scarlet Heart Ryeo ฅ(⌯͒•̩̩̩́ ˑ̫ •̩̩̩̀⌯͒)ฅ \^o^/ ❤‿❤
W2W ☆_☆ (。>﹏< 。)
Jealousy Incarnate \( ̄▽ ̄)/ ㅋ‿ㅋ
Fantastic ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Second To Last Love ヾ( ̄0 ̄ )ノ
Uncontrollably Fond ヽ(ಠ_ಠ)ノ (╥_╥)

For those who are interested, here’s the full text of the MLSHR poem from Wook which Su responded with \^o^/

唐朝 Tang Dynasty famous poem〈竹枝詞〉Song of Bamboo Twigs by 劉禹錫Liu Yuxi (772-842) :
楊柳青青 江水平,
Green, O green is the willow, placid, peaceful the flow,
聞郎江上 唱歌聲。
Hark and I hear on the river, songs from my love, my beau.
東邊日出 西邊雨,
To the east, the sun is up, to the west, drizzles persist;
道是 無晴 却有晴。
Though they say the sun is naught, to me, the sun is aglow.
(Translation obtained from - chinesepoemsinenglish.blogspot.com.au/2009/04/liu-yuxi-song-of-bamboo-twigs-i.html)

The last verse metaphorically means “Love me, love me not?” as the character 晴 (clear weather) has the same pronunciation as 情 (love).

Compared to Japanese from the “land of the rising sun”, Chinese and Koreans probably have more sentimental attachment to the “moon”. Particularly in China, the moon had always been the main subject in many classical poems. The lunar calendar is also still being observed, and there is even a mid-autumn festival celebrated by Koreans and Chinese all over the world. Surprisingly, it is also being celebrated by Aussies as part of a multicultural OzAsia festival, but we call it the Moon Lantern festival since it is mid spring instead of autumn here. This year, it falls on next Thu, and I was tasked with organising a “moon cake” morning tea for everyone in the office.

Here’s a “moon” poem composed about 1000 years ago in mid-autumn by a very famous poet. It is so famous that it is being sung as a pop song, this version was sung by a very famous singer Faye Wong from HK/China.

I particularly like the last verse for its nostalgic connotation of evoking sentimental feelings for those close at heart. There are quite a few people from my past whom I dearly missed, though we might have lost contact or seldom keep in touch, I can only stare at the full moon in the sky with the hope that things are going well for them, and it greatly consoled me to think that probably under the vast night sky, they are also staring at the very same moon!

Excerpt from 宋朝Song Dynasty famous poem〈水調歌頭〉Water Song by 蘇軾(蘇東坡) Su Shi aka Su Dong Po (1037 – 1101)
.......
人有悲歡離合,月有陰晴圓缺,此事古難全。
Human has sorrow, joy, parting and reunion,
The moon may be dim, bright, wax or wane;
This imperfection has been as such since ancient times.
但願人長久,千里共嬋娟。
May we all be blessed with longevity, though thousands of miles apart, we...

Pebble,

Thank you for posting the link to Faye Wong's gorgeous recording. Is the title of the song the same as that of Su Dong Po's poem, "Water Song"?

Thanks for the reminder about the mid-autumn moon festival. Yay! I still have time to rustle up some mooncakes!

Yes the title is the same.

@sundaexstory,

Thanks so much for confirming the title. ;-)

Hi Pakalana Pikake! *Waves* - I have been too busy to drop by here for ages. Have you watched Chinese or Taiwanese dramas lately?

I've watched the following:

Better Man - Cheesy in the beginning, but the writer does a great job overall, using many seemingly throw away moments to resurface in the end, full of meaning. I love the character arcs, and if you can get past the super cheesy beginning, the leads do have really well developed characters. I never shipped the little sister with the oldest brother, but they were still entertaining. Good almost slice of life fun with crazy makjang thrown in.

I watched Scarlett Heart 2 without watching the first one, and I was aware that the government had censored the time travel, making it a teeny bit disjointed. I loved the characters, but halfway through the plot got over the top makjang and the end was confusing. Afterwards, honestly I was a bit depressed. It's long and a bit sad.

I started Scarlett Heart 1 and loved it up to the halfway mark. It is beautifully written, acted, and directed. Very fun until it becomes obvious that the suffering is coming (when Fourth Brother is made emperor), and after the experience with the 2nd one, I couldn't do that too myself. Too many tears.

I've zipped through 40 episodes of Love Now. The leads are beautiful and talented and the plot is ok in the beginning, but it becomes more about the other characters by the middle and we just watch our OTP play house. They are fun and sweet, so that's not terrible, but it's not as entertaining (to me) as it was done in Better Man, where the everyday moments were bringing our leads closer together. This is just watching happy people eat breakfast. A lot. I may finish it.

I read Gu Man's novel, One Smile is Very Alluring and found it sweet and fun and the drama captures that same sweet spirit. It's geeky in many places, but with two computer loving video game obsessed leads, I'd expect no less. He's the best boy in the world and she's the sweetest girl, so the turtle-paced plot might not be for everyone. However, I liked the book and it has a wonderful innocence to it that is alluring (to quote the title).

I tried the Devil Beside You for old school fun, but couldn't find it completely subbed. I think it wasn't my cup of tea.

I watched part of Autumn Concerto, but the sadness made me stop. Maybe later when I need a good cry, I'll pick it up.

Refresh Man was totally predictable and a little long, but fun. I loved the leads and the soundtrack. It didn't reinvent the wheel, but it had some magic that always kept me interested.

And finally, Taste of Love was perfect in so many ways - acting, film quality, fun story. The hunt for a famous recipe was intriguing and the set up for the OTP was perfect. Sadly, I never had the feels for the leads that I did with Better Man. In many ways this was a better drama than BM, but the lead still left me cold.

Continued (sorry to be so long-winded!)
My he second lead in TOL was truly a bad person, so that was hard to watch, and the brother's issues were resolved too soon. However, It was a solid show.

If you have any recommendations, I would love them. Thanks!

@Mermaid Scribbler

Aloha, Chingu!

Long time no see! Hope things are going swimmingly for you. ;-)

My drama watching of late has been of the K and J flavors. That includes a bunch of films. I really enjoyed the 2009 Korean film A GOOD RAIN KNOWS / SEASON OF GOOD RAIN, which is set in Chengdu (which is as close to a C or T drama as I've gotten). Also on Netflix: THE BEAUTY INSIDE.

After livewatching BEAUTIFUL MIND, I caught a bunch of Jang Hyuk's earlier productions: WINDSTRUCK aka LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO MY GIRLFRIEND, which was touching and had a terrific OST, along with a female cop as the leading lady, as in BEAUTIFUL MIND; ZZANG / THE BEST; MAYBE / RABBIT AND LIZARD, and SUCCESSFUL STORY OF A BRIGHT GIRL with Jang Nara.

A MAN CALLED GOD turned out to be totally addictive... I hadn't seen Song Il-Kook in anything besides sageuk LAND OF THE WIND, so this 007-ish romp was a blast.

After watching OH HAE YOUNG AGAIN, I checked out a couple of Eric's earlier dramas: DISCOVERY OF ROMANCE and QUE SERA, SERA, both of which I enjoyed.

I'm currently in the midst of NODAME CANTABILE, and enjoying every bar of classical music. Binged on a bunch of Naohito Fujiki Jdoramas and flicks, including the HOTARU NO HIKARI "dried fish woman" franchise and LOVE REVOLUTION.

Now I find myself live watching two dramas simultaneously. Have been waiting with bated breath for months for LJG and MOON LOVERS SCARLET HEART RYEO... While it got off to a rocky start and I spazzed over keeping a surfeit of hunky princes straight in my too-random-access memory, I've been enjoying it a lot. Last week I got the bright idea to find out what all the shouting's about re: MOONLIGHT DRAWN BY CLOUDS, and marathoned the first 6 episodes to catch up. I love it, too. To me, the vibes are different, with MOON LOVERS feeling darker -- perhaps because I've already seen SHINE OR GO CRAZY, which deals with the same historical characters. Thanks to the settings in different dynasties, I don't think I'll be confusing the plots and characters... thanks to manes o' glory vs. gats.

I've watched a passel more and will follow up after I catch today's raw episodes of ML and MDBC.

Thanks! ?

Translation of the last verse from the poem:

但願人長久,千里共嬋娟。
May we all be blessed with longevity, though thousands of miles apart, we appreciate the beauty of the moon together.

Hi @PakalanaPikake, the name of the song by Faye Wong is taken from the first part of the last verse "但願人長久". There is another version sung by the late Taiwanese singer Teresa Teng too.

The mooncake is a bit too sweet for my liking. Though it comes in so many flavors, I still prefer the traditional brown crust ones with white lotus paste filling.

"Dan Yuan Ren Chang Jiu" / "May we all be blessed with longevity"

Teresa teng - Wish You a Long Life: 邓丽君 - 但愿人长久 [HQ]

It is simply exquisite. The strings really get to me.

In other news... white lotus seed paste is my favorite mooncake filling, too! ;-)

For a special treat, I used to go to the Chinese bakeries on Maunakea Street in downtown Honolulu to buy fruit and nut mooncakes.

Wow, you found such a beautiful version! Teresa's voice was so clear and smooth, she was at her best when she sung those Chinese evergreen classics. I chose that Faye Wong's version for the Chinese water color paintings featured in the MV, they brought out the ancient and rustic feel of the song.

We have a low sugar version white lotus paste with macadamia nuts mini mooncakes sold by an Asian bakery here, it's yummy!

I only like the double yolk mooncakes, heh. Otherwise they're too sweet for my liking.

Faye Wong, btw, is from Beijing, although she has sung in Cantonese.

Hi @Junny, I think the yolks are made from preserved salted duck eggs, not so good for health though, but since it is only once yearly, feel free to indulge yourself! :)

LOL. I'm so glad I YouTube was able to return the favor. That's what popped up when I searched on her name in English and the 5 characters. ;-)

The watercolors nicely added to my enjoyment of your selection.

White lotus seed paste with macadamia nuts sounds delicious!

Happy OT

I watch Moon Lovers (Eun Soo ya....), Moonlight Drawn by Clouds (God-byung yeon and everything just feels really good), W (sorry, my time is limited to comment in W but good job, good job, I wished you a happy ending), C4 (they started to reduced Hyun Min  screen time . . T.T).

Ie Uru Onna : about a woman who is selling houses in real estate company,

I love this drama because I'm invested in seeing how she'll find a match place, both logically and emotionally for her client.

The houses just awesome and my eyes are sparkling every time they showed something,

the main female in one tone but that's the best part, she is weird but proud, I annoyed by the short hair employee but this drama purpose is not that grand,

just about finding a good house and I like that they are doing their job really good.

favourite scene of the week : so many emotional scenes but I like the the green penguins jump the most because it always cracks me up,

anticipation for this week

- su bong is on radio start, I should start watching it

- the OST for Moonlight ep 4 is out, hope that's the dancing OST

Question: What is your favourite Parents-child relationship in kdrama?

Mine is Bidam - His mum

he is born in the bad fate, they met again because of the bad fate and they have to choose a side because of the bad fate T.T

We can see how they can resemble each other and care about each other but they also have individuality,

their decision is based on their own experience and memory but they can't deny their relationship actually genuine.

It's heartbreaking and they both content with their own life choice.

the 2nd probably the mum and nam gong min character from can you hear my heart,

because they have this weird tension, almost sensual tension (big part why it's a memorable) and the development of their relationship actually genuine
^^

the Reply 1988 relationships

I finished my 4th rerun of Reply 1988 last night. Still cried during the last episode. And that ending with the five of them going into their respective houses as kids-so bittersweet.

I second this! And the reply 1997 relationship between the parents and the "adopted" sons.

and also Oh Ri Jins´ parents

I like the father-son relationship of Chief Oh and Jang Gu Rae. It was heartwarming to see them grow together. They are not family by blood, but they were able to understand each other like a family.

The parent-child relationship in Answer Me 1988 is also the best I've seen recently. It helps that the parents are not just background characters. That they do have stories as well we can learn from.

Hogu's Love also had wonderful parents, though they were not the focal points of the drama. Hogu wouldn't be as accepting of everyone if his parents didn't teach him that way.

Answer Me 1997 also had interesting parent-child relationship. I'm not sure I want to see them scream all the time, but they are fun to be with from time to time.

I second the one in Misaeng, though strictly speaking Jang Gu Rae and Oh Sang Sik are subordinate-boss rather than parent -child. The workplace would be a much better place if all bosses are like Oh Sang Sik.

Another Oh Hae Young parents. They matches well with our Haeyoung personality.

+1 Quite a few. But most recently OHY parents.

+1 Best relationship ever

Reply 1997 - Shiwon and her dad.

They really reminded me of my relationship with my dad and how much I miss him.

Probably the family in More Beautiful Than a Flower. The parents are separated and the kids resent both to different degrees (the dad for cheating, the mom for being so weak-minded), and the dad is estranged from them, but they can never quite let go of each other and you start to see as the show goes on that they're angry because they love each other to death.

I think the ones in Heard it Through the Grapevine are also a lot of fun, though in a perverse way. They're not exactly touching haha. Answer Me 1997 with Si-won and her parents also stands out, it felt so real.

this makes me want to watch More Beautiful Than a Flower... it sounds heartwarming

It is! In some ways it's depressing, because it's dealing with messed up people at the lowest points in their lives, but as you watch you'll find so much to love about all of them. It also has a young Kim Myung-min ;)

I also enjoy Ie Uru Onnna which is currently highly rated in Japan. The lead female seems like that she has a form of Asperger syndrome. I like the gradual process of everyone in her office being influenced by her in a positive manner. I would like to see her with the second leading man( tall younger one who is often clueless) but I guess it won't happen. But I think the whole drama is not about love relationship so I should not be too upset if she ends up with the older guy. Indeed she is an odd ball but when I observe the office dynamics, everyone in her office seems to be a bit odd and maybe that is why I like the drama.

both guys are nice, even the older one and I like how the office changed for the better but the house is the spotlight for me

they have the different design and it just wonderful to see a drama about a house that means so much for people like you find a soulmate,

My favourite so far probably the one that small and has 3 floors about the messy girl and the super simple man, not for my lifetime but I like that it small and looked good,
aah almost all the house is nice,

Yes, the most houses/apt they sell are nice but in sad reality, Japanese houses/apts are tiny and short ceiling makes the entire house/apt appear smaller and depressing. Whenever I came back to Japan for holidays from where I used to live( both Europe and USA; one of my houses had more than 3m height ceiling(10 feet)), I developed a sense of claustrophobia. But it is nice to see those lovely houses and apts. I can easily fancy living in one of those houses.

I am particularly moved by parent/child relationships that are made by conscious choice/adoption like Chae Chi soo, Young Shin's adoptive father in Healer and Jang Bo-ri, who adopted an abandoned handicapped newborn despite harsh condemnation from society in Jang Bo-ri is Here.

I'm so glad someone else mention Young Shin's adoptive father in Healer. He was just the best thing ever- kind, soft-spoken, funny and a loud embarrassing singer. You could tell he adored her and truly understood her... While still throwing some boyfriend- related disapproval. She was such an awesome person and you got the sense he was a huge part of her character development.

I'll stop talking before this descends into a long father-daughter fan fiction. Haha.

Pinocchio appa & Choi Inha

Yep, this. :D Though I'm not finished (still???) but the Dad and Grandpa are so precious ^____^

Favorite parent-child

I hear your voice -- best mom ever
What will happen to my family? -- third son and dying dad
Misaeng -- Mom and Geurae
High School King -- Dad and gramps
Ms Temper and Nam Jun Gi -- Nam Jun Gi and son (but I loved the entire family)
Flower Boy Ramen Shop -- Cha Chi Soo and Dad

Oh! I loved the Dad and the youngest son in What's With this Family! How the son just wanted to be like Dad, and Dad wanted his boy to have a better life. It was awesome.

Anything and everything with Song Ok-sook playing a mom.

According to some fatalistic interpretation of Buddhism, four kinds of karmic links exist between children and parents. The first is to repay kindness. The children come to repay kindness, so they are very filial. The second is to exact revenge. The children are usually wastrels causing the family’s ruin. The third is to collect debt. The fourth is to repay debt.

The notorious mothers in Lee Kyung-hee's dramas and Kim Gyu-wan 's Cinderella's Sister provide ample examples for the fourth type. It feels as though the children were trapped in dire circumstances due to the actions of their mothers. The doting parents in Another Oh Hae Young probably fall into the third category, while those children who unintentionally caused harm and even death of their parents, eg. Jo In-Sung in Piano, or those good for nothing chaebol sons in many dramas, may be classified as the second type. The majority of dramas with harmonious parent-child relationship eg, the parents in the Reply series probably belong to the first type.

Wow O_____O

You've convinced me to watch the japanese real estate drama.

The best parent/child relationship's have been Healer, Oh Hae Young Again for me (off the top of my head).

One of the most difficult to watch drama's was in My Daughter Soyeoung between the daughter (Lee Bo-young) and father. The father kept gambling away their money and finally LBY couldn't take it anymore and abandoned the family (father and twin brother, Park Hae Jin) and married into another family. She hired people to show up on the bride's side and her father ended up being one of the fake guests (she never saw him). They stayed apart for like 5 years (she tried to stay in contact with her brother but he was angry that she left). In the end the father changed his ways (in part because of their estrangement). It was heartbreaking because you could see everyone's side (even eventually the father), everyone was hurt and no one was in the wrong. Ugh so heartbreaking but ultimately uplifting. Brilliant show actually.

Week catch up:
School is fun. Busy already. I have my permit test today. Not looking forward to it. My MRI results are in. There's nothing bad. Just scheduled my EEG appointment and my yearly physical. Which will probably lead to more appointments & dreaded phone calls lol.

Question:
Okay so Hye-Ji from C&4K and Na-ri from Jealousy Incarnate inspired this question, but it works with a range of kdramas currently on and classics.
What is the silliest, "don't even mention it" thing you've ever done related to crushing like a nonreciprocal relationship, not 2 way?
Personally, it tied between two things from early adolescence.
1) "Accidentally" texted a guy whose name was close to a friend's. What? If anyone saw they realize it wasn't on "purpose".
2) My friend insisted in making me a "next crush" chart because I was the one with stories but didn't have a crush at the moment. I might have given in and supplied the info for the boys she listed. What? I was curious too. Even though the chart had ridiculous questions and statistics.

Last week's OT:
Thank you to everyone who stopped by last week to answer the question. Made me rethink what I asked (hadn't thought of bromances & sismance/womance). There were some fun couples I hope we get to see or see again.

Often mentioned:
F: Kim Ji Won, Kim Yoo Jung, Park So Dam, Kang Sora, Park Shin Hye, Eunji, Gong Hyo Jin, Kim Seul Gi, Kim So Hyun, Kim So Eun, Kim Go Eun, Park Bo Young, Lee Bo Young
M: Park Bo Gum, Kang Ha Neul, Seo In Guk, Lee Jong Suk, Jisoo, Yoon Doo Joon, Jang Hyuk, Lee Jun Ki, Lee Won Geun

Honorable mention:
@mary & Song Jae Rim as an imaginary AND reunion couple

Cool or long desired couples:
Ji Sung & Lee Bo Young *I haven't seen her act*
Kim Bum & Kim So Eun *it's been so long*
Jisoo & Eunji *I think 70% mentioned this one*
D.O. & Nam Ji Hyun ?
Lee Jong Suk & Kang Sora *the drama that can't be named robbed us*
Kim Woo Bin & Kim Ji Won *the other drama that can't be named robbed us*
Kwak Dong Yeon & Kim Yoo Jung *Moonlight ain't even over and we want a reunion*
Shin Sung Rok & Jeon Ji Hyun
Seo In Guk & Gong Hyo Jin

And the most epic bromances of recent history:
Lee Jong Suk & Kim Woo Bin
Seo In Guk & Park Bo Gum
Lee Won Geun & Jisoo
In my opinion, any mix of these could work out. SIG with LWG, Jisoo with PBG, LWG with LJS, KWB with Jisoo, anyone?

I'm going back to sleep. I have to be awake again in less than 2 hours.

I wrote a poem once, sent it by mail, it was returned bc I put a wrong stamp on it, and my parents iopened it, but it was thankfully very abstract so they had no idea what I was saying. besides it was in english

Pwaahhaha. I'm sorry, but you're so amusing. I love reading your stories.

Omo, I would die.

I write several poems about the guy I liked. One in particular was semi addressed to him. Now they're posted on my blog and IG for all the world to see. At the time, I read it to my aunt but insisted that I didn't write it romantically. She thought it was about my older brother because it's about gratitude. I pulled that one off, lol.

But with his information? I would have sold myself out. ? Granted, I only speak one language.

Like @Peeps I enjoy your stories. I haven't stopped smiling since I read your answer 15 minutes ago.

That's a good one Redfox, lol, it feels like a scene straight out of a kdrama! :)

to make things more embarrassing... it was to a local celebrity (it was a very long time ago, I was 13-14 or something, ok?)

Hahahahahaha this is hilarious xD

in my adolescent day I looked for this person identity and give it to my friend (said A) who like that person in our group, everyone get the info but we knew A want to go for that person,
little did I knew I kinda feel something but I shut that down for a consideration.
Then 3 weeks later, one of our friend (B) dated that person behind our back

not sure if the story fitted

I was a little confused the first time I read it. But I think I got it now.

Friend A didn't know that much about Male Z. So you got the information needed and shared it with the entire friend group. You felt something but shut down the feeling. Then, friend B metaphorically, because people are not objects took Male Z?

Whoa, she broke friend code. And you honored it.

Though there's definitely something strong about friends' type of interest in guys. At least in this case. It's like a drama.

right, you nailed it, thank you ^^
it's a bit confusing . . .
it indeed about a friend code with 4 four (ABCD) people in it,
Friend B (ofc metaphorically) should have told us and we could have a fair game since Friend A personally asked me to help the meeting and we all knew it.

I feel like I've been used, went to the bookstore, the CD store, the manga place, finding the "crush/Z" landline number, calling the number to make sure of the address, etc,
it quite a work , I thought that crush was a jerk, the appearance and language suggested it but then I find that there are a reason and condition for something to happen, so the image is less jerk, but it's not like I personally interested in that "crush" before knowing any of the conditions, it probably sympathy .

at least let Friend A confessed or just don't go behind someone back,
it broke up the friendship tbh, Friend A feels humiliated for showing the great interest of that "crush" and we never talk about it until we go a separate way. I still in contact with Friend A and D, but I don think any of us still in contact with Friend B,
wow . . . . now I think about it , it really resembles Kdrama

That is dedication right there. The level of friendship you had for Friend A makes me smile.

Yes, Friend D should have said something or let A confess. I couldn't imagine that feeling.

Media can be surprisingly true to life at times. Actions really do have lasting effect.

TV this week

Korean:
UF - next ep 8
W2W - next ep 15
TF38 – on ep 15
C&4K - next ep 8
JI - next ep 6
LiM - next ep 6 *I'm behind* ?
Full House - next ep 2
FantastiC - next ep 3
Drinking Solo - next ep 2
Second to Last Love - might begin it today.

Japanese:
Nodame Cantabile – next ep 9
Love Live Sunshine – next ep 11 *oh, no its winding down. I hope there's a second season*
InK (1996) – on ep 6 it's getting better *gasp*
Orange - next ep 9

Taiwanese:
Fall in Love with Me - on ep 13

Western:
Liv & Maddie comes back in two weeks. At the same time as Girl Meets World break will be over. I can't even! Disney Channel has me back as a fan. For now.
Word Party: still progressing on ep 2. Watching with 5 month old means slow pace.

10 korean dramas during a semester is my limit. Though I'll probably add a Cdrama at some point.
I need to finish TF38 to make way from SKL. I'll try to catch up with DS in time for next week. I want to feel the angst with FiLwM some more. I want to catch up on my crack dramas W, LiM, JI, C&4K today. But I've seen things about LiM. Things that make me nervous about my dongsaeng-hyung.
Gotta go clothes & school shopping with the bestie.
There's a wedding Sunday. Idk how many shows I'll get to this weekend but I'll try.

At the DMV now. Ugh! Without anti-anxiety, this is a pain.

Speaking of Kwak Dongyeon and Kim Yoojung, there's an old Radio Star episode (I think it was a child star special) that they were both on - it was adorable and hilarious, not to mention KYJ's sass comes out quite a bit. It's the first thing I thought of actually, when it came out that they were both cast in Moonlight.

Uncontrollbly fond ending is cool.no miraculous healing or eul dying.ji tae is also cool.jung eun is unrepentant,evil mom is still evil,assemblyman choi is also cool,haru and jik still adorable

Glad there was no surprise. Why wasn't I happy Kim Woo-bin didn't look bad until the moment he died (so unrealistic).

It's a myth, that all cancer patients looks like crap, when they have aggressive cancer. It depends on type of cancer and if they're getting treatment for it (that usually affects them more than cancer itself). I met one person, who had similar brain tumor and he looked great until very end. If they didn't tell me he is dying, I would never believe.

This is rather morbid, but you know what I though?

Do people really die that way? Just passing out on someone's shoulder and they're gone? So quietly and peacefully?

Maybe someone with experience can let me know.

The family was around when my FIL passed away. Without going into to much detail...his systems shut down and his breathing became increasingly labored over an hour. It was extremely difficult to witness but I felt I needed to be there in support of my husband and MIL.

I've only seen this process realistically depicted in one TV show or movie that I remember. And my mind has blocked out which one it was.

Hi @LizJ, this week, when I saw how Shin Joon Young died so handsomely and peacefully on Noh Eul's shoulder in UF, and also how Lady Hae passed away quietly while being piggy-backed by 8th Prince Wook in MSHR, I was thinking, the dramas beautified death, it is not the case in reality. Since this is a morbid topic like you said, and it is the norm for the media to downplay it. Most people don't really want to know much about what really happens at the deathbed due to the subconscious fear of this inevitable outcome which will happen to everyone.

My brothers went very peacefully and I thank hospice for that. I noticed that he wasn't doing well and called the nurse and my other family members. He wasn't able to talk, but he could see and hear us. He held on a few more hours until my aunt flew in and told him that he could go because she was there with me. He passed just a few minutes after she said that and just quietly stopped breathing. Hospice is so valuable. They were so respectful, supportive, and helpful. They also made sure that my brother had adequate pain medications so that he could die comfortably at home as he wanted.

don´t know though. It would be still much better to die in a bed rather than like my grandpas - one died when a tree fell on his head and smashed it in the forest, the other inside an arctic submarine that sank near the coast of Russia in the 1960ies. (though it happened before I was born) one of my granduncles (my grannies´ youngest brother) died as a child from polio. my granny from Viljandi died from twisted intestines... seems like we all die in some weird way. I am tempted to sell tickets and popcorn to people for mine. I bet it will be entertaining. sorry for my morbid sense of humor, it compensates for the horror.

Just to add to Redfox's list of morbid way of dying, when I was very young, I heard from my mum that I had an uncle who was trampled to death by an elephant somewhere in South East Asia, I forgot the country, as I was young, I had no concept of geography, no joke, this is real.

My best friend died of ovarian cancer at 25, four years ago. She didn't look any different, she didn't look terribly unhealthy or anything. She also didn't die on my shoulder. She died on a hospital bed. She chose to not do chemo.

I don't think it is unrealistic. One of the best things about that show is how they handled his death. I don't know. It seemed realistic. I cried, I appreciate that they dealt with it in the way that they did.

Probably pain masking drugs like morphine etc. used in palliative care contribute to pain free and peaceful death for cancer patients. The sufferings and the pain would be unbearable without those drugs.

Speaking from a medical point of view, death does not have to be traumatic or painful, nowadays there is a lot that can be done to help ease pain and suffer before death. (as long as it isn't an accident like the traumatic ones listed above. Can't do anything about trees or elephants.)

@pebble is right about the drugs- things like morphine can be used to stop pain and symptoms of breathlessness. Hospices and palliative care doctors/nurses are getting increasingly better at dealing with this and nowadays death should and can be a dignified and peaceful one. And fortunately it has become less taboo about talking about death in general.

A couple of years sgo, I had a co-worker who was working as usual doing fine and going about her day. ...... Then, within the span of about two weeks she was suddenly diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer after going to the doctor for what she thought was a cold/flu coming on. ......She passed away at home, in her sleep a couple of days after the diagnosis. ...... She was in her mid 20's and she never looked ill.
We were all so shocked because if anyone looked like the picture of perfect health, it was her.

Hi Beanies!
It's been a crazy week because my Boy's birthday is this weekend and I just spent a few hours in the kitchen slaving away to make him a cake. (Other than dramas, baking is another hobby of mine, although it's been rather neglected of late). Finally done but super exhausted!

On the drama front it's been great- W and Moonlight leading the way, with Love O2O on standby as I want to marathon the last 6 episodes when I'm free. Cinderella and Hapi Mari are my fluff time brainless dramas that I just like to watch and chill. I'm still in denial about the possible extension for Moonlight though.

Anyone can recommend another good C drama for me to watch after I finish O2O? With Yang Yang in it preferably ?
I ideally plan to watch School 2013 once W is done (for my LJS fix) and then tackle another C drama (for my Yang Yang fix). Then I don't have to say goodbye to either of these lovelies! ?

Have a good weekend Beanies!

If you are okay with melodrama: Remembering Lichuan.

Godfrey Gao is God indeed.

pray tell where i can watch Remembering Lichuan .. is it as good?

i love the novel so much..

hmm cute fluffy Cdrama
Boss and Me (but it doesn't have Yang2, just Zhang Han)

but I remember Yang yang is in
Thw whirlwind girl, the lost tomb and the four... I just haven't watch any of that.

and I anticipated his new movie
Three Lives Three Worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms (2016)

Ooh! Movie?? ?

Sounds good. I shall check it out. I hope his voice isn't dubbed!!

I don't think the movie is out and Idk if it's dubbed , , , ,
It's Wuxia movie about god and goddesses based on novel, also starring Liu Yifei..
so much pretty thing is screeen . . . . .

When it comes to voice dubbing, I think the same reasons that historical/period dramas are dubbed apply to historical/period movies.

I'm waiting for the drama versions, which should air around the same time as the movies. These stories seem to contain a certain level of complexity which may not be expressed well in movies.

Hi - I asked the same question about C dramas earlier. I love Boss and Me. Super favorite. I posted my current watchlist above.

Yang Yang's character Heartless in The Four 2015 was too bland for me. I didn't even remember him until I looked up Love O2O cast and their projects. Zhang Han's character Cold-Blooded was more interesting.

15 Years Migratory Birds
Back in Time
Ode to Joy
Love Through Millennium (has Zheng Shuang)
Whirlwind Girl (has Yang Yang)

From Love o2o's author:
Boss and Me
My Sunshine

Is Whirlwind girl good? I've heard conflicting things about it.

Boss and me sounds interesting I may start that next.

I can't say if Whirlwind is good or not but I liked it alot especially since I discover Yang Yang from it. Just can't get enough of it.

Boss and Me, oh you should definitely watch it. I love it. Can't even tell you how many time I've rewatched it. :3

I like Yang Yang in Just one smile is alluring (love o2o).
The drama version is so good that I cringe watching the movie version. The drama version is 85% patterned on the novel (which I really love).

It's by Gu Man. I am a huge fan. They call her the turtle because of her slow style, but she always has fun innocent characters and great little slice of life moments.

Boss and Me (also known as Shan Shan Comes to Eat) has such an adorable lead actress. Very fun. My favorite thing about this drama is that she meets her fairytale prince and recognized that this seems like a fairytale, but she continues to work hard, becoming the real hero of her own true story. Instead of meeting a rich guy and "landing" him, she really grows into a person who can be considered his equal on so many levels. I love her growth. It is a wonderful and modern Cinderella story.

Oh, please upload a picture of the cake! I love looking at pastries. :-)

I got started on O2O then I read that the two leads do not meet in real life till ep 9 or so, is it true? I don't play any online games, zilch. So, I am wondering if I should continue. I am not excited about seeing them in their games costumes :D

Besides Nirvana In Fire, I haven't tried any C drama since. I was thinking how weird it is that the school and the hostel/dormitory is so tidy and picture perfect.

Still looking for a C drama that's somewhere near NIF's awesomeness.

Well the exciting bits (*kissing*) only start in Episode 17... cant remember when they met in real life but a lot of the charm is in the game characters. I took a while to warm up to real life Xiao Nai.

That being said... there is a lot of kissing once its starts. hahahaha. so up to you I guess? (I'm at Epi 24 so I don't know about the rest though)

A lot less game time once they meet in real life too... I used my FF button judiciously at times because it can drag a bit. Im still dying to watch till the end though but holding back till I have more time to marathon more than 1 episode.

Thanks @michykdrama :D

I should try a few more episodes then.

Some people who read the novel say that Wei Wei always feels nervous when Xiao Nai kisses her. Looks like the drama reflects that all the way to the end. After ep 24, kissing stops and won't resume until ep 29.

Yup, less game time in later episodes as real live has more complications. Difference between drama and novel is that they also considered "university life" of students.

Im watching ice fantasy... nnn... i know i know. It will keep me for a loooooooong while.

Is ice fantasy any good?

Ice Fantasy

Interesting premise. Conventional yet messy execution. A lot of pretty. The evolution of Prince Shi is pretty much the only thing keeping me watching.