The Lonely, Shining Goblin in his secret garden
I don’t know why, but I thought we’d get something a little more supernatural for our first glimpse of Gong Yoo (Big) as a goblin. It seems silly, since I knew that goblin Gong Yoo would look exactly like human Gong Yoo, so what was I expecting? In any case, here’s our first set of stills for tvN’s new fantasy romance The Lonely, Shining Goblin, featuring our goblin hero being his sad, beautiful, and lonesome self.
The new drama from hit writer Kim Eun-sook (Descended From the Sun, Heirs, Secret Garden) and PD Lee Eung-bok (Descended From the Sun, Discovery of Romance, Secret) is a fantasy romance about a strange and sad goblin named Kim Shin (the new title includes a pun on his name, Shin, written with the hanja for “god/ghost”). He lives an immortal life, but his fate is described as pitiful, and he seeks a human bride in order to end his immortality. Gee, how bad could living forever be?
Kim Go-eun (Cheese in the Trap) plays his love interest, a high school senior (grumble, grumble) who remains optimistic despite her painful life. The drama will feature a bromance between the goblin and an amnesiac reaper, played by Lee Dong-wook (Bubblegum), as they become roommates and usher souls to the afterlife together.
Yoo Inna (One More Happy Ending) co-stars as Lee Dong-wook’s love interest, a sweet and immature owner of a chicken shop, and Yook Sung-jae (Village: Secret of Achiara) plays a chaebol heir, the thirteenth generation of a family that’s taken care of the goblin. In exchange for their massive wealth, I would imagine. We haven’t been told explicitly what the goblin’s powers are in this drama, but they’re usually associated with wealth in folklore.
Well, the goblin looks appropriately sad and beautiful here, but he’s going to have other emotions, right? Because I’m all for setting a mood, but swoony, happy goblin trumps sad, lonely goblin any day of the week.
The Lonely, Shining Goblin airs on Fridays and Saturdays following The K2, beginning in December.
- Kim So-hyun joins cameo lineup for supernatural romance Goblin
- Kwak Dong-yeon goes from prince’s bodyguard in Moonlight to young king in Goblin
- Lee El jumps from MBC’s Monster right into tvN’s Goblin
- Fantasy romance Goblin secures main cast and PD
- Fantasy drama Goblin courts Yook Sung-jae to play a rebel
- Yoo Inna considers bringing some sunshine to tvN fantasy drama Goblin
- Lee Dong-wook considers reaper role in fantasy drama Goblin
- Kim Go-eun offered lead opposite Gong Yoo in fantasy romance Goblin
- Gong Yoo confirms writer Kim Eun-sook’s fantasy drama Goblin