Suzy confirms supernatural romance While You Were Sleeping

It’s official: Suzy (Uncontrollably Fond) has signed on to star opposite Lee Jong-seok (W–Two Worlds) in the new drama While You Were Sleeping, from hit writer Park Hye-ryun of Pinocchio, I Hear Your Voice, and Dream High. The supernatural romance has also found a home at SBS, and PD Oh Choong-hwan of SBS’s medical romance Doctors will take the helm. This will be Lee Jong-seok’s third series with writer Park, and Suzy’s second after 2011’s Dream High, in which she made her acting debut.

While You Were Sleeping will be a legal supernatural drama, much like I Hear Your Voice—that series was about a public defender and a boy who could read minds, while this one is about a prosecutor and a girl who sees the future. Suzy has been cast as a young woman who has dreams about bad things that are about to happen to other people, and Lee Jong-seok will play the prosecutor who fights to stop those tragedies from coming true.

I expect the PD of Doctors to be a good fit for the contemporary romance; that show had the pitfall of seeming visually pretty but empty of substance at times, but with this writer I don’t have that worry at all, since she always delivers great characters and a compelling story. I’m really not enthused about Suzy’s casting, but I’ve always found something to like about the heroines in this writer’s dramas, so I’m going to keep an open mind and hope for the best. Maybe the drama will reward my optimism by keeping it light and funny and melo-free, with some chemistry on top.

While You Were Sleeping is being planned for a 2017 broadcast on SBS.

Via Osen

Tags: , ,

Casting can't make a film, but it sure can kill it!

The "good" thing here is that the writer already worked with Suzy, and Suzy was at her worst (though she had that amazing excuse of being a rookie/first-time actor). Either way, like girlfriday had mentioned, Park Hye Run has the knack to create amazing kick-ass heroines (she made me love Park Shin Hye; plus the girl really did her best in In Ha).

This actually reassured me a little. This writer has worked with Suzy before and may be able to tailor the script for her.

Do either of you think that actually makes sense?

The fact the writer has to tailor around Suzy speaks volume of her acting skills: She simply has 0 acting talent. and that's an insult to real actresses who are actually good at their job. -_-

Yeah. The writer is the only one that reassured me. Not even once she disappointed me. She even made me like Park Shin Hye in Pinocchio. So maybe somehow she'll make me like Suzy too.

A good performance isn't something a writer pulls out of an actor - it's the director's work.

@Susan - I'm not sure why you're asking if we think it makes sense. It does. Since Park Hye Ryun has worked with Suzy (or at least familiar with her limitations), she'd be able to tweak the character that Suzy can (hopefully) portray. Granted, that's just optimism talking from me, but that's all we can have at the moment.

The combination of Park Hye Ryun and Lee Jong Suk is somewhat a guaranteed excellence. LJS knows how to attack a Park Hye Ryun-hero. So that alone, we've nothing to worry about (unless by miracle LJS become a terrible actor and/or PHR just created a massively bad plot!). But now that Suzy has been confirmed, I'm optimistic that PHR can/will revise the character to suit the actress. Is that so hard to make sense of?

What you are saying makes perfect sense, but it still grinds me that they are going to have to dumb-down the part to account for the limitations in their lead actress. Therefore a show with a lot of potential has already seen some of that possibility for excellence fall by the wayside, before a camera has even rolled.

@gala

It was a rhetorical question. Of course it makes no sense. Writers don't create performance, actors and directors do.

"Is that so hard to make sense of?"

Of course anyone with even the smallest amount of connection to production knows that your statement about the writer is patently ridiculous. It's not that your statement can't be made sense of - it's that I have better sense than to do so.

@susan -- rhetorical or not, I offered you an answer. whether you accept it or not (though you completely dismissed it), it was still an answer to an answerable question. the condescending tone isn't very much appreciated, and don't make yourself as if you're better than the rest of us. no one here, initially, is looking for a fight.

I do know a thing or two about KOREAN DRAMA production, though I'm not directly involved. one of my good friends in Korea works at one of the big 3. and sure, she's usually works dailies/weekend, but I feel her stories could relate to this. In Korea, scripts aren't usually done (unless the now-popular pre-produced). They can ask the scriptwriter to tinker dialogues/scenes to cater to the actor's acting flexibility (or lack thereof). you're right; writers don't create performance. however, they can still be in control of how a character would be portrayed. And depending on the actor's capability, they add/delete certain scenes. So, I'm just trying to relate that possible scenario. I'm not going to insist that I'm correct, but slow down on the arrogance. We're all just wanting good performances/dramas here. If PHR can create a character that Suzy can portray, then why not?!

Ok, first time I saw Suzy was in Big, that kind of role fits her, for a rookie, but that drama tanked. My poor Gong Yoo oppa suffered from that.
Next, Gu family book, they hv zero chemistry- LSG and Suzy and she was excruciating to watch. When Choi Jin Woo disappeared, I ditched the show.
Finally got around to watch Dream High, oh, so she is one of the girls here, she's ok here, doesn't need much acting skills to pull this off, suits her.
UF, ridiculous title and I didn't even watch ep 1, not worth the time. Kim Woo Bin is a good actor but he can only do so much.
And now this, it's just a popularity contest, isn't it? Miss A disbanded already, so she needs to act coz she's not that good in dancing or singing either.
Suzy, why do you hv to torment us? There are a lot of Lee Jong Suk fans who are so deeply saddened by this pairing. Hope this is a romcom so you wont hv to exert much effort and just let LJS do the heavy lifting. All you need to do is look pretty, you got a lot of awards for that.
You are a very lucky girl, Bae Suzy.

She is pretty and perky and she sells things very well. Somehow, this makes people think she is an actress. Sorry, but she sucks. And the choruses of "give her a chance" are starting to die down as she gets chance after chance and still can't deliver.

Suzy can sing and dance but being an idol is a short term career. Actresses can act even when they are old ladies.

I think this casting is some marketing plot to secure audience in China. LJS shows have sold phenomenally well in China. Same thing for UF where it already had 3 billion views.

LJS+The Writer+SBS has proven to be a winning combination in the past so I don't have any worries.

The production team should not be worried about trying to appeal to the Chinese audience; it shouldn't matter now that the Chinese government has banned Korean tv shows and Korean tv stars from appearing in films, variety shows, and dramas, which is why many Korean stars who were already cast in Chinese dramas had to be swapped out for Chinese actors/actresses.

It will be near impossible for dramas to air in China, and the only ones that are safe are the ones that were pre-produced far in advance and already secured an approval before the announcement in November.

Thus, the production team should not be worried about pandering to the Chinese audience, but appealing to the Korean audience because if the drama flops in South Korea, then the production company is going to be losing a lot of money unless the drama is very successful in other markets besides South Korea and China.

This website has lost it's mind.

Well, this just freed up 16 hours of my life.

this has to be the funniest comment loool

This is bad really really bad..... I'm imagining kim woo bin patting lee jong suk on the back already

LOL!

It amazes me how Suzy can get all the hot guys as her co-stars and she even dates LMH in real life. So even if she can't act, well she managed to snag another hot guy.

naaahh!! suzy will spend most of her screen-time sleeping and dreaming. no worries.

Must be sleeping uncontrallby fond! And that works for her. I guess.

^^Haha. DB should have the options for gif. I guess I have to go to reader zone while watching this drama. I will just consider myself suzy and interplay the dialogues in my mind, much like I had to in UF.

Cast Han Hyo Joo Pleeeaaaseee??

It's too late now... :(

I don't understand why people with zero acting talent like Suzy get the lead roles. I, for sure though won't waste 2 hours a week to watch this. I am already wasting time commenting about her here.

HHJ wasn't even great in W but ok... lol

True friends...

together in misery..

a) Why did she agree...make her leave it like cheese in the trap

b) Who wants to watch her act.. give her dozens of advertisements.. so that she can fill up the 20-30 minutes of advertisement time in between the dramas.. for the fans

c) lol.. LMH goes to military and Suzy falls in love with LJK.. now that is the gossip I want

what a sarcastic comment but weirdly I cannot be more agree with you!

c) Can we name it "while you were making abs in the army"?

LOL.

c) Of so many fishes in the pond....why LJK????

Because she is doing a drama with him .. and he is a chemistry guy :)

plus cute cute looks good..

That's supposed to be LJS then. The acronym of LJK = Lee Jun Ki. That was why I was so puzzled.

I really do not understand this! why do idols insist to act on drama? Suzy acting was indeed bad on UF and she still gets an offer for dramas!

I don't think that there is lack on actors in the industry but the producers still choose them. Really bad for the furture of Kdrama!

I really miss the old days of Kdrama :(

I think it's more about the people behind this dramas that keep sending them this scripts rather than the idols who want to act,i guess the greed for money from China is far from everything else...While they could choose good actresses to lead...I'm sad because more than sure this will be Lee Jong Suk first drama to flop in Korea because of it...Knet hate her acting and more than sure will be put off on watching it...It's sad because the writer dramas are always so good...

Lee Jong Suk will be like.. Suzy? Bring it on, we can just dazzle everybody with our prettiness. Ratings be damned.

Hahahaha! Yes. Plus good cinematography, one smart lighting designer and a team of killer make-up artists and they shall dazzle the audience out of their wits.Who knows, maybe it will be good.

it could work if they shoot every scene from behind her so we don't have to see her expresssion

I literally LOL-ed out in real life reading this comment. You win!

offering his acting condolences

Some people are salty to suzy.but who knows .maybe the character fit her

Salty? Are you sure we being salty or suzy needs to quit acting.... I have seen her in 6 productions already.

Wow, six!? Well, might as well add this one to the list too, then.

Lol really?im never watch her works
Im just feel bad for her.idk this is her fault/her agency never give her acting lesson

lol you have to watch her acting before you accuse us of being salty.

She is not my fave.i just feel bad for her.
many bash for her.even her fans cant handle it lol
Maybe she should be supporting role/yeah take acting lesson

It's never her fault that her acting turns out crappy.

It's the writer's fault, or the PD's fault, or her costars' fault, or her agency's fault, or the network's fault for broadcasting during the wrong weather, ad nauseam. Never hers, no sir, no way. Not even after what, five productions.

Sure, pogo, whatever flaots your boat :)

+100 for excellently executed sarcasm!

Lol.okay i think she is so bad
but she always get offer.
ah but i trust phr she will make a well written character

She only gets offers because of popularity/PPL, money her talent levels are negative.

I thought maybe I'll trust Lee Kyung Hee casting her for UF that maybe she saw something besides China $$$$$ when she looked at Suzy but no, she was still horrible. She's not fit to be called an actress, she's just a cf model who got too greedy to know her place.

I'm not a HUGE fan of Suzy, but I really like her, I truly do, she's pretty, she's nice on variety shows, always loved her commercials and even though she is not that great at singing she still can sing some and her songs are cute too. No matter how much I love her, I agree that she can't act at all, if one doesn't have the talent, no matter how much you give your best at it or have training, it will never be the same as talented people at acting. When you don't have the talent why keep pushing your limits to it?

From what I've seen from variety shows, she looks like a nice person, hard-working, but why she is greedy to keep acting when she's not fit for it? Does she need money desperately? I wonder if she has lots of apartments and needs to pay them every month, maybe doing acting is a way to keep having money to pay bills. I wonder though because I'm sure she knows what people think of her acting...

....and Sarcasm of the Year Award goes too...•drumrolls•....Pogo!!!!!?

*high 5 * Pogo.

I know her fans will defend her. Sigh have to admit my heart sank with the news. I will just read the subtitles when she talks. That would give me a clearer picture of what's happening. Guess this is one drama I won't bother watching raw.

But seriously, with all the money she is making- doesn't any of her fans know if she is taking acting lessons? She is not even taking or majoring in drama at any University?

Can't say that she can't act but she is not good at it.

The truth is Suzy should settle for many minor and supporting roles to improve her craft before decided to accept the main/leading role.

Gosh, even when Lee Min Ho never get to tutor her with acting, at least advise your girl on whether to grab or not a leading role.

why are you commenting if you've never seen Suzy act?

6???? How did you manage to make it through 1, let alone 6? I raise my hands to you ?. Because of my love for lee Seung-gi I watched Gu family book but I couldn't finish it and try I did. I really have nothing against her just that she needs to go to acting school or something.

My thoughts when I read this was, can my love for lee jong-suk brainwash me into watching and actually finishing this??? I am hoping for some miracle....Suzy miraculous becomes a great actress just before filming this. One can only hope ?

If your love for LJS made you even finished Dr Stranger, then maybe you will be able to do the same this time. Because Suzy and Jin Se Yeon are just on the same level.. DS at least have great second leads.

gahh Dr Stranger! that's the ONLY jong suk drama I cant never finish! thanks to that 'brilliant acting' of our healing actress :)

but oh atleast for this, the visual is 10 times better. so yeah maybe, just maybe i can sit through this hmm....

@ryuu - it's not just JSY's healing acting that's the problem in DS, it's the plot-gone-haywire writing. however, as I always say, DS really showed the range of LJS's acting, coupled with his amazing onscreen chemistry with Kang Sora and Park Hae Jin and Choi Jung Woo too, DS was totally watchable. heck, I can even re-watch it just takes a lot of fast forwarding.

@gala

Now you just made me want to finish it only to see his acting *_* But..i......rea...lly.....caannn't, oh it hurts. LJS ㅠㅠ

I applaud your strength and sacrifice ??????

... yeah, THAT'S the spirit!

Suzy is like a machine that can't act.

Blank face "Were about to fall off the cliff" pats driver back

at this point i just want her to blink when she deliver her lines.. give me that much at least

if Suzy learns to blink she will be a better actress than Han Gain

I think she can be cute and bright.. and if that's the very definition of her character's personality here at least she could continue being cute and bright with lots of aegyo.
But whenever she's on melo-mode or serious-mode, her face becomes blank! Seriously, she's painful to watch in UF. Thank goodness there's Kim Woo Bin that saves the drama for me!

I totally agree with you! Kim Woo Bin was magnificent in that, he portrayed the character very well. I think another actress would've portrayed Suzy's character better indeed, as half the drama was serious or sad!

Let's hope that this one will be good! (And Lee Jong-suk!)

I totally agree with you. If they put a lot of aegyo in there it'll work. I am positive now thanks to your comment. :)

I liked her when she played a spunky character in Big, but I didn't like Big, so I didn't see much of her, ha ha ...

Personally I loved all the dramas she was in so far except UF but, that was because of the plot not because of her. Suzy and Kim Woo Bin were fine actors.

she's an actress, she's supposed to adapt to the character not the other way around

Noooooooooooooooooo
Waeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Let me join you

ANDWAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Add me

Ottokeeeeeee!!!!! T_T

And a Japanese version:

Naaaaaaande!!!!

Daaaaaaaameeeeee!

Me three!!

AIGOOOOOO

Ughhhhhhh... I guess dramagods are asleep on this one.
But I'll certainly watch it for jong-sookie and this writer who never fails

Suzy snuck up on this one While The Dramagods Were Sleeping.

Lol...nice pun!! I've never felt as excited and disappointed about an upcoming drama before...i think this will test my love for LJS?

i can't say i'm thrilled about the casting but I'm gonna pray that suzy lays off the awkward scream/crying in this show and plays a bubbly character instead. If uncontrollably fond never happened i would have been cautiously optimistic because i can't deny they're both so pretty

Park Hye Ryun is a script writer I trust. Her female leads have always been great, so I trust that she will write something fitting for Suzy

I actually hope writer-nim chose Suzy (or believed in her for whatever reason) and will not have to alter the character any way to fit her. Come to think of it.. Since the writer worked with her previously and knows her well.. may be she believes that Suzy can actually manage to pull it off? One can hope..

'Should s a bubbly character instead?' ? Darling the problem is she always play the bubbly character, even when her character is mourning!How do we empathize to her role? Watching her onscreen is like trying to make a relationship work by force , which just won't.

No, she should just sleep. Thats the best thing that she can do. Let's second female lead do her job to emote, cry, laugh and whatsoever.

Her acting will never improve. Please drop it.

JYP will never drop it though. Suzy is their cash cow and idol life is short. JYP will push her into lead roles, despite people’s complaints.

I wish she'd just stick to modelling instead of blighting dramas I could actually like.

Like, go make your money, no one's going to be mad if you give acting the skip.

Lol @ "blighting dramas"...I'm just loving ur comments today?

All they need to do is stop making her the first lead. Second lead, fine. There are plenty of comic, cheerful, slapstick second lead roles, and she could observe the more seasoned actors and learn from them. Think of it like an apprenticeship.

But constantly insisting she's a main role worthy actress is nuts.

yeah, she is just not lead material. I wish drama productions would actually take a damn cue from UF flopping and stop casting her in these big-name projects, it's effectively rewarding her for sucking at her job.

@pogo
They don’t need to take any cue because they’re seasoned professionals that know exactly what they’re doing and I think your confusion about her casting (and many others) would stop the moment you (me, all of us) took your drama fan glasses and stop completely disregarding the whole purpose of the industry: MAKE MONEY. Some projects wouldn’t even take off without some big star attached to it and UF was an example of that, without Suzy there would be no UF because investors/sponsors/producers/people in general in the industry would simply not be interested in investing their money (and before anyone starts, without KWB there would not even be a project to discuss in the first place so his star power was fundamental), and everything about that drama screamed “Catering to Chinnese $$$” so even if it super flopped domestically they achieved their ultimate purpose: MAKE TONS OF MONEY. I say all this also in regards to your last comment about the industry “rewarding” her, they´re not, they’re simply using her. A good drama (with a talented team) is not at odds with a profitable drama, but as we’ve come to observe the first can be affected if it IS at odds with the second. I think that there are projects that are very honest about what they want from the start, and not only was UF one of them but so is this one, they want them Yuan and they want Suzy’s (and LJS’s) many sponsorship partners’ money, you can say they (the PD, writter, cast, etc.) are “selling out” for some quick buck but I wouldn’t, who wouldn’t be tempted?! I would also like to point out that if the purpose of a project is to be serious and they’re aiming for credibility/recognition/award baiting, Suzy’s name would not even be suggested, even if she herself went to the audition because they wouldn’t be taken seriously and AGAIN investors/sponsors/producers/people in general in the industry would not invest their money. It’s clear what type of scripts are offered to her, the industry is definitely not rewarding her, but using her, just as much she’s using them. Nobody needs to take any cue here.

@FerG this. All of this. You're taking the words out of my mouth. I mean, yeah. I don't know if I will watch this now. But I completely agree with you about everything. If we are to complain about this unfortunate casting choice we should at least complain about the right things.

Honestly I find it pretty hilarious how people are saying "why is she taking these jobs?" This IS her job. Her job is to be a talent in the entertainment industry. That's why she sings, dances, goes on variety shows where you run around in the cold in an attempt to beat another team, and acts. If she doesn't take this job she loses a paycheque and an opportunity for exposure. It's like, I'm not always the best editor, but by golly I will take any editing job I can get because this food ain't gonna buy itself. So, no, I don't like the fact that she easy cast in this drama that I was very excited about. But I don't blame her for hustling. I blame the industry for making this happen in the first place.

@FerG - that is exactly my point - UF FLOPPED. By the time it ended, it was last place in the domestic ratings, which is clear proof that Suzy's alleged draw isn't all that. They want to make money?

I get the point of casting Kim Woo-bin for the $$$ - and please keep in mind, he was the star for the Chinese market because he was a known quantity thanks to the success of Heirs. They got the money for the project and got it off the ground thanks to him - sure. But why the need to throw in Suzy on top of it? She didn't have the Chinese-market relevance he did, they could have gone for virtually anyone else.

The same goes for LJS here - he is tremendously popular in his own right and will likely be a guaranteed draw for Chinese viewers (assuming this even gets clearance to air in China, given the current political situation and the restrictions being placed on Korean entertainment). They could have cast anyone opposite him, but chose to take on, well, THIS. But Suzy is unnecessary in the face of his casting, since she's not really bringing anything to the table - certainly not the talent (though that is irrelevant for commercial purposes) and not the ratings (since China $$$$ is probably guaranteed via LJS anyway). What is the point of her then? Product placement?

(and before anyone says Korean ratings/Korean audience reaction don't matter, SBS' reaction to the initial Nielsen scores pulled in by Scarlet Heart, would strongly suggest otherwise - and this was also a drama with billions of Chinese views)

And considering she's being given another plum role opposite a big-name costar right after her last poorly-received drama, I would definitely say she's being 'rewarded'. I don't know what else to call it when someone flubs a job and still gets handed more opportunities.

@Bambi - her primary source of income appears to be endorsing products, which is a very profitable line of work for her and makes her a LOT more money than acting.

She doesn't have to take acting jobs, especially when she cannot be arsed to work on her acting - if acting is her job, she doesn't seem to put in any effort toward it. If she didn't take this job, she could book another advertisement and make more money/get more exposure for a lot less work, so excuse me if I don't buy the 'she HAS to do this' line.

Because having one big star in your drama may pique the interest of some investors, having TWO big stars creates a sense of stability (because there's nothing investors hate more than uncertainty), unlike you I think both KWB and Suzy did a good job in attracting the public at first, (to me) both have some draw domestically AND oversees. And I think you're underestimating the relevance of "product placement" as you call it, some dramas, like I said, are made solely for the purpose of catering to these companies. And having Suzy hold your BB cushion, sunglasses, earrings, face mask, conditioner, rice cooker, dildo or whatever the f she's selling is worth 28447284384346653+ more than if it was "virtually anyone" else holding them. Imagine this, literally MILLIONS of people saw super duper popular pretty Suzy wear, hold, be close to an object you sell therefore creating (at the very least) some interest in your product, that's right, UF was nothing more than a long ass CF that people actually want to watch! of course, all this didn't come free because associating anything to her now has a premium cost so you had to shell out some big bucks (that the producing company was more than happy to take) and judging by the fact that another producing house and team are reaching out to her again, I'd say most investors walked away quite happily from UF. That's what I meant when I said some projects are very honest from the start about what they want. Who knows if the formula will work again, like you said there's the big ban-but not really-but we're still not gonna let you use Korean stars anyway- going on in China, but people in the industry are more than willing to risk it apparently. And as to her motives, well to her a drama may as well be all about endorsing products so she's probably thinking "why not", but it's not like a shit ton of people aren't making a shit ton of money off of her, so really no one is rewarding anyone, they're just using each other. You are free to judge her (and the industry's) morals any way you want though.

True, JYP has little else these days so he's got to milk her for all she's worth.

Yeah... It is just getting too old... just how long does she need to improve before she becomes a decent actress? Given all the opportunities she has, you would think she'd have at least one memorable performance by now.

Her acting is horrible, I am tired of people pretending she is secretly some genius who has only been completely unable to give one good performance in her life because it's the writer fault/ PD fault/ live shoot fault/weather fault/ fault of her young age/ fault of her long hiatus/ fault of her lack of acting practice.

Lol at the Weather Part

NOOOOO. How am i to warm up to this pair after Han Hyo Joo and Jong Suk created that kind of chemistry. How is suzy ever going to achieve that high a standard. I am disappointed.

Seriously! Those two made for one of the sweetest couples in Drama land! They are both seriously adorable together.

Ikr?
Maybe if that pairing didn't happened so recently, I can be a bit more optimistic, but... Sigh

Him being paired with Park shin hye and Han hyo joo was like dream pairing for me.
Now comes the nightmare pairing. My head hurts, my heart hurts.

I agree--it's particularly hard to think of right on the heels of seriously the BEST pairing I've ever seen.

huh. at least they're a visually attractive couple?

still waiting for news of the poor actress that's gonna get killed off in ep 1 playing LJS' mother

Lol, I am waiting for the same news bite. Any way I can volunteer for the job? ?

but his mothers never had any scenes with him either.. oh wait, one did in Dr Stranger

come to think of it, his 'dads' were not that better off either- they're either killed off or never around lol
playing LJS' parents is almost like a curse in kdramaland

He did have a father for sometime in IHYV

Who also got killed heh

Lol, I forget about the short span of his mother

LJS: always the orphan never the doting son

Shock, that's so true guys I didn't see this before....but WHY? Why is he never the doting son?
Because all his roles and his dramas are somehow ...different?

Oh wait what about High Kick?????

eeh, too bad they didn't cast her as lee jong suk's mother, she would die peacefully in the firs episode, and every one of us would be happy ;(

Omg! ?? is that a running joke now? Ha! Yikes.

Dear dramagod,

One truck of doom for the lead actress pls in the first episode.

#offerssubwayassacrifice

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, this is a fantastic idea. Maybe it'll work? And maybe our Truck of Doom will get an award?

Or just let her be in a coma for the remaining episodes like the guy in BIG ?

she could play his mother and die during childbirth, then the story would skip 30 years into the future when LJS is grown

Question: how do they determine who should be casted?

I just feel like there are so many other young women who should be given a chance at being a leading lady.. I feel like the last couple years has introduced a number of good actresses to me that could be given a shot..and actually excel. Anyway maybe star power is the only important thing to these stations/dramas/whoever does the casting..

Thats the saddest part actually. We do have many talented actresses in 20s but yeah lack of star power ? that's why those talented young ladies remain as secondary. It is a pity because some of them are coming from acting background (they are from acting school), unfortunately no equal chances to show their talents.

Yeah I think star power and popularity definitely play important parts in casting decision. I think the network, esp Big 3, wants someone who is marketable, popular, has good image, etc that's why they go to Suzy and a bunch of talentless idols, because they have fandoms and they'll bring in money from sponsors/ads.

While there are tons of talented actresses who can act circle around Suzy, only a handful of them who can match Suzy's popularity and good image. Remember image is everything in Korea, even SHK and HHJ were criticized for taking part in dramas because some scandals regarding them.

I'm sad that the industry won't or can't give many opportunities to good actors and actresses, esp the unknown ones. They chose to cast established household names rather than someone with actual talent and acting skills. Really sad.

Can't they see that despite Romantic Doctor has no famous idols as one of the leads, no super pretty faces or star power but it's doing very well in the ratings.

Apparently they haven't learned from UF's rating which plummeted in the second half either. Sigh.

It's kinda funny (ironic?! lol) to read this about Romantic Doctor when Seo Hyun Jin was a former SM idol. heh. It took her some time to improve as well. She was quite stiff during her banjun dramas (with DBSK, but come on, that's a banjun drama. lol).

She took some time to improve, but still that girl was not greedy. She has done supporting roles, and experienced a lot before Another OHY became her breakout role. She basically worked very hard and showed it to us. I think that's praiseworthy.

I'm not sure about the international viewers, but that drama is well received in Korea. Although no famous idols in this drama, don't forget the fact that Han Suk Kyu is one of top movie actor in Korea. It probably one of the factor that made people tune in, of course with good plot and solid acting.

Lol but true.i watch romantic doctor because han suk kyu n jin kyung .

Man, but "we" ('cause I didn't watch UF) just saw Suzy not too long ago! Why didn't they give another actress a chance? Another Lee Jong-seok drama sounds fab (I didn't care much for W and I feel like while the majority loved her, I'm part of the minority/is the one only that didn't like Han Hyo-joo in it. ? Her performance was meh, tbh), this writer is fab, so why not have somebody else act alongside him? Man! So disappointing!

FOR ME HHJ was really meh in W2 too. wasnt very good chemistry between them.

Please tell me this is W - Two Worlds where this one is only a dream and Lee Jong Suk only needs to wake up to escape this.

Find the magic tablet stat!!

Let the search begin!

Nah...we could just draw it in..the One Tablet that will wisk our worries away!

Or how about the cliche that Suzy's character gets burned in a fire and then the magic tablet rises from the ashes and Dad draws a new face, all for satisfying his fans.
Yup !! That sounds good

I'm not as much of a Suzy-hater as some of you, but you can always hope LJS will get a W-like idea that Suzy is immortal (hey, bad reviews don't seem to kill her). So he puts it to the test....BANG! "Whoops, guess not"

Oh damn. Why, dramagods, why? Did my pleas not reach your ears? I'm not sure I can bear to give Suzy another chance, not with Uncontrollably Fond still lingering in my mind.

I am already worried about his mother... And definitely the poor actress.
In one his dramas ..
She committed suicide,
Another one , she was murdered
And I think in the other she was shot in the forehead...
Oh wait !! Am I mixing this up ???

you forgot one- died because failed heart transplant in ICHYV
another one..become mentally unstable in DS

I couldn't bring my heart to watch DS after reading the negative reviews about it...

You have to try and watch DS, it's a good trial for drama-watching endurance. Might help you endure Suzy later.

What the hell the writer and PD were thinking???????. Pretty alone is not enough we still need acting talent!!
* takes a chill pill* *sighs*

AH man I had a feeling she would confirm, but prayed endlessly that she had declined the role. I'm disappointed and hesitant on watching it. I really can't stand SUZy and this is unfortunate. Can we get real actors to act? Wish Kim Ji won was offered the role

Oh god... Why didn't you reject the role, Suzy? I'm sorry, but you have a long way to go before you can even be considered an actress. It's harsh, and I often refrain myself from voicing negative comments... but I have to voice my disappointment here: WHY SUZY? There are plenty of actresses that could have filled the role: Kim Ji-won, ha ji-won, son ye-jin, etc. Why couldn't they cast a real actress?

I highly doubt Ha Ji Won and Son Ye Jin are fighting for the same roles as Suzy

Seriously, they could have cast any of the dozens of talented young actresses stranded in second lead/daily drama/weekend drama hell and spared us all this.

sure, Park Hye-ryun may try to work around her lack of emoting ability and write Go Hye-mi mk. II. But why should she? This is like the k-ent equivalent of reaching for stale burgers when you have gourmet food in your fridge.

I am waiting to see who going to be the second female lead. If this going to be another Jin Se Yeon -Kang So Ra all over again, then yeah we know the result already.

Then I'll ship Lee Jong Suk with the second female lead like in DS or just ship LJS with myself.. *imagining things*

"If this going to be another Jin Se Yeon -Kang So Ra all over again, then yeah we know the result already."

---

Man, why you gotta go and bash Jin Se Yeon? (I'm assuming this is a bash, right?) ;)

The prevailing view in these parts seems to be she's this terrible, terrible actress.

I've never seen that personally.

I've always liked her. She's sooo pretty (that smile! those eyes!). And in my view, she's performed perfectly fine in her roles. Maybe not some thespian, mind you. But hardly the travesty that others make her out to be at times.

On the flipside, this whole site seems to be eternally preoccupied with the alleged majesty that is Kang So Ra.

Meh... She's okay. Not my cup of tea personally. But to each his or her own.

Anyway, guess I'll just go on being contrarian.

I'm not an expert in acting but after watching kdrama for years, I think we can all see the difference with good or bad acting or maybe the ones who can or can't act at all.

You can take it as a bashing or anything, but this is not baseless. I have watched her performance in few dramas, not only DS but I don't know if there's anything wrong with my eyes unlike you but she cannot act. Please bear in mind and just dont assume that this is mere ship war. While disliking her acting, I acknowledged she is pretty. But pretty alone won't make her acting great.

Kang So Ra is also not my favourite, and I am not even a fan of her, but she at least acts well. That's why she outshone JSY in DS, yes the ship things probably was the biggest thing, but it was also clearly showed who can and cannot act. For me, what mattered to me because the fact second lead acted much better than the first lead. I don't think people in this site need to face some sort of allegation like we are bashing some actors because of mere reason we don't like them. As a kdrama viewer, who is not enjoying a mere beauty in my screen, beside from good plot, good acting also what i'm looking for.

@Sera The Ms Temper

"I don’t think people in this site need to face some sort of allegation like we are bashing some actors because of mere reason we don’t like them"

---

I honestly wasn't trying to accuse you of anything.

It was intended more in a joking manner. (Hence the winky face!)

More like me expressing fake exasperation at someone not liking the shiny new toy I'm all crazy about.

Haha.. my bad if you took it as some kind of actual criticism.

I'm more than ready to see Kim Ji Won in a major leading role!!

F**k.