Han Seok-kyu considers mystery murder film Father’s War
Han Seok-kyu, Ryu Hyun-kyung, Im Seul-ong
The star of highly rated medical drama Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim, veteran actor Han Seok-kyu, is in talks to take the lead role in a new movie titled Father’s War. The homicide mystery film has also offered roles to Im Seul-ong (Mrs. Cop 2) and Ryu Hyun-kyung (Master–God of Noodles).
The movie is based on a true story from 1998 and begins with the death of a junior lieutenant officer in the Joint Security Area, a part of the Demilitarized Zone where North and South Korean soldiers guard their respective borders face-to-face. His father, who is a reserve military lieutenant-general, attempts to pierce through the mystery that surrounds his son’s death and uncover the truth. Han Seok-kyu is in final negotiations to play the father, and Im Seul-ong to play his son. Ryu Hyun-kyung’s role is unspecified, as of yet.
Despite having been proposed last year, this movie failed to get off the ground. Han Seok-kyu and Im Seul-ong were first offered their roles then, and it’s possible that the sensitive subject matter of the film may have been a source of contention that led to investors with government ties pulling their promised funds. With the recent presidential turmoil and the changing political climate in Korea, it looks like the Father’s War has found the opportunity to voice its message.
Indie film director Lim Sung-chan (A Light Sleep) will be helming Father’s War, which will start production in either February or March of 2017 after final casting decisions are made.
- Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim: Episode 1
- Hotheaded hospital clashes in Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim
- Han Seok-kyu offered SBS drama Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim
- Kim Rae-won, Han Seok-kyu team up for undercover thriller The Prison
- Master–God of Noodle: Episode 1
- A Fiercer Ajumma arrives to lead Mrs. Cop 2
- Slow-mo firestorms and gunshots in Mrs. Cop 2
- Sohn Dam-bi, Im Seul-ong sign on for Mrs. Cop 2