Kim Nam-gil plays ordinary hero in disaster film Pandora
This December, a disaster of untold proportions rocks the Korean Peninsula in new thriller Pandora. Kim Nam-gil (Memoir of a Murderer) and Kim Myung-min (Proof of Innocence) star in director Park Jung-woo’s new disaster film. Taking nearly four years to write, film, and produce, this movie has been lauded as a well-made message against the proliferation of nuclear energy.
In the new blockbuster film, when a historically powerful earthquake destroys Fukushima, Japan, its large ripples cause a nuclear power plant explosion in Korea. The ensuing radiation and clouds of ash cause mass hysteria. The nuclear control center, which is supposed to contain such an incident, wavers in its mission because the political powers that hold authority over it have conflicting interests. The politicians want to deny reality in order to protect Korea’s image so that their economic investments will not be endangered, and the incompetent president is being blackmailed by his greedy prime minister to advance directives that go against the common good.
Meanwhile the radioactive poison spreads among the populace, creating a swath of victims in its wake. As the control center realizes an impending second explosion, they send a group of employees from the power plant on a fatal mission to stop it or die trying. Kim Nam-gil plays Jae-hyuk, an ordinary happy-go-lucky power plant employee who becomes a hero as he embarks on this peril-fraught journey for the safety of his family and all of Korea, and Kim Myung-min plays the president, whose hands are tied by greedy puppet-masters.
Co-stars include Jung Jin-young (Glamorous Temptation), Lee Kyung-young (Inside Men), Kim Young-ae (Laurel Tree Tailors), Kang Shin-il, (Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho), and Moon Jung-hee (Sweet Savage Family). Disaster movie Pandora premieres in Korea on December 7.
Via Segye Daily
- News bites: December 3, 2016
- Kim Nam-gil considers reporting for duty in new film Exemplary Police
- Kim Myung-min fights corruption in crime movie Proof of Innocence
- Kim Myung-min considers new noir movie VIP
- Kim Nam-gil courted for new melodrama from director Lee Yoon-ki
- Kim Nam-gil up for thriller opposite Seolhyun, Sol Kyung-gu
- Disaster film Pandora adds Kim Nam-gil, possibly Go Ara
- Kim Nam-gil joins Ryu Seung-ryong, Suzy in sageuk film
- Kim Myung-min cast as president in disaster film