Manga series The Liar and His Lover (Japanese title: Kanojo wa Uso o Aishisugiteru) will be remade into a Korean drama (the literal Korean title is She Loves Lies). There’s already a popular live-action Japanese film version of the award-winning manga by Aoki Kotomi, and now there is a Korean adaptation in the works at cable network tvN.
The plot is about a genius sound creator (hmmm like Eric from Oh Hae-young Again?) and his fan who is a high school student. It’s a bittersweet uplifting romance story of how they meet and fall in love. In the 2013 Japanese film, Takeru Satoh played the main lead, a depressed musical genius who produces records under a fake identity. Sakurako Ohara played his sixteen-year-old love interest, who is a singer in a band who is eventually scouted by Takeru’s character.
The manga has a solid following in Korea, so there’s definitely a waiting audience for the drama. And who else to produce it than the master channel of remakes, tvN? Admittedly, Entourage and Cheese in the Trap have been disappointing setbacks in tvN’s mostly stellar record, but remember all the good remakes like Liar Game, Misaeng, and The Good Wife?
PD Kim Jin-min, who has directed thought-invoking dramas like Pride and Prejudice and Marriage Contract, has agreed to lead the production team; it will be his first project since leaving MBC. Cable channel tvN has announced that it will broadcast the drama adaptation of The Liar and His Lover next year in March in the Monday-Tuesday slot.
Via IS Plus
- Sohn Ye-jin considers remake of melo fantasy Be With You
- Lee Bo-young courted for tvN’s remake of Japanese drama Mother
- Kang Dong-won as delivery boy on the run in remake of Japanese film
- School violence and mystery galore in new JTBC drama Solomon’s Perjury
- Entourage scores late-night timeslot, to premiere in November
- Oh Yeon-seo to be the new Seol for Cheese in the Trap movie