Nam Joo-hyuk offered lead in tvN’s Bride of the Water God

This would be quite the leap for Nam Joo-hyuk: He has been offered the lead in a high-profile tvN drama project called Bride of the Water God 2017, based on a manhwa of the same name (sans the 2017). He has not been confirmed, as initial reports misstated, but cable station tvN did state that he has been offered the role of the lead, water god Ha-baek.

The original story is set in a fantasy world where a water god is offered young women sacrifices by the inhabitants of a village that has been plagued by many years of drought. One sacrifice becomes his bride, and complications ensue. The drama is calling itself a spinoff version rather than a direct remake; it plans to keep the characters of the original while reworking the setting to a modern one, set in Seoul.

I might normally be wary of altering the story that much, but not with this production team, whose credits read like a list of personal favorites: Writing is Jung Yoon-jung of the acclaimed Misaeng and whimsical fantasy-romance Arang and the Magistrate, while directing is PD Kim Byung-soo, whose style I loved in thoughtful modern relationship drama Bubblegum, swashbuckler Three Musketeers, cerebral time-traveler Nine, and time-traveling romance Queen Inhyun’s Man.

Nam Joo-hyuk is doing wonderfully at the moment in MBC’s campus coming-of-age romance Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-ju, and I like him more in that show than I’ve ever liked him before—he’s exuberant, funny, and adorably devoted. Still, I’m pretty surprised to hear him as a potential lead for this project, because he’s still very young—both in age (nearly 23) and experience, debuting as a model in 2013 and as an actor with 2014’s Surplus Princess, where he was cute but very green. He was fine as a puppy-doggish sidekick in Cheese in the Trap, but his weakest moment was in last year’s Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, where I thought he just couldn’t pull off the emotion or seriousness of the role. I find him better playing boyish, sweet characters so I’m not sure what to expect if he ends up headlining this drama. I can imagine fans of the manhwa will have a lot of thoughts about this!

Bride of the Water God will air on tvN, though it has not yet been scheduled.

Via My Daily, TV Report

Tags: , ,

Please dont!
Lee Jun Ki better.

Agree

Oh god, please not Hong Jong Hyun!!! You might as well cast an idol actor if that's who they decide to go with...

I want Lee Won Geun!!! It would work, guy is golden, and he can be seductive (re: his new movie). He's tall, his acting range is daebak. He's in his 20's. Lee Wong Geun please, KDrama Gods, please.

I loved all the performances in Moon Lovers. It is where I really started to acknowledge Lee Jun-ki's awesomeness and charisma. I do agree that Wang Yo is Hong Jong-hyun's best work yet. It's such a pity whoever was in charge of editing and/or directing butchered what could have been an amazing drama. I still loved the story though and Lee Jun-ki and Lee Ji-eun's chemistry was phenomenal.

As a fan of Lee Jun Ki... I don't think I wanna see him as Ha Baek...

I'd rather see...

Damn it. I still want Lee Jun Ki.

And lookin at Goblin. Please cast Kim So Hyun as So Ah.

Young, feisty, yet innocent.

They'd be perfect. Nam Joo Hyuk X Kim So Hyun, I mean.

Lee Jun Ki is good with anyone (I am so biased, yet I am so right)

Yes, Lee Joon Gi!! / MUST LJK please!! he the best actor for fairy tale and will not disappoint all.

omg that would be perfect!

i think a lot better than him but of course LJK perfect choice

There is no comparison acting wise. I am surprised they offered the role to nam joo hyuk

If they're casting Nam Joo Hyuk, I bet the leads skew young, so Lee Jun Ki would be too old for this role. Personally, I'm over Lee Jun Ki constantly being paired up with young actresses. I didn't think he had any chemistry with Lee Yubi or IU, while he was sizzling with Shin Mina.

Agreed, but then, Shin Mina is THE actress. IU was just bland, and don´t even remember LYB from Scholar.
But LJK looks gorgeous in those Goryeo fantasy costumes, and this drama will be modern, which okay, is not bad, but will be wasted on him :)

I just realized that his partners might be the reason why I don't buy the loveline in his dramas (Scholar and Moon Lovers). There must have been zero chemistry between them. I loved him and Mina in Arang though. He should act alongside actresses who can carry the weight of his acting too.

UGH. If this guy isn't from YG Actors he wouldn't be getting these lead roles with that "talent" of his, he's not even a ratings attractor. He already has two under his belt (School, Weightlifting) and potentially this one too?! There are tons of better actors than him who are, unfortunately, in smaller agencies that don't have the resources to lobby their actors.

He indeed improved in Weightlifting but I still don't have any confidence in him as an actor. I get that they are trying to cast the next Park Bo-gum but NJH, really? Geez, if they want "young and fresh" then why not Lee Hyun-woo? At least I can hold onto the fact he can act, even though he doesn't look the part.

Sorry but the ones who are hiring the casting team are in fault.

That's obvious though. But the thing about casting is that connections that boutique agencies don't have, work wonders.

I guess other young actors in their early 20s rejected this one. Oh, well.

Really curious about the casting decisions behind this. At this point we don't know the tone they are going for this drama. Already the news of changing it from sageuk (three kingdoms period) to modern is already getting no sayers.
If they are going for a light-hearted drama then maybe yes NJH might do okay (it depends on his co-star and the script to some degree... and his acting of course).
However, if they are going for melo like they are doing with Goblin with the symbolisms then NJH's experience and current acting skills might not "fit". I find his acting okay and to me he fits the sunny or next door neighbor to the T more so than a lonesome curse male who longs for his lost love (this is part of the manhwa plot).
Kinda wish that since they are hiring such scriptwriter and pd, they should have added more to the budget and opt for a historical setting :\
The storyline is not only a romance one but one filled with mythology context and Korean culture embedded (also one with heavy political machinery going on as well). A sageuk setting definitely fits the storyline than a modern one (we end up having chaebol and rich family stuff all over again if they are still keeping the story intact but with modern setting lololol)

Just how many actors in their 20s rejected this that we have NJH being offered the role?!? SMH.

B1A4 Jinyoung suits the character better. Mysterious and devilishly handsome. He has proven that he is good with characters like that in Moonlight.

JinYoung (moonlight) i guess is old for the role (26 or 27 as far as i can remember) just like everyone have mentioned, they want the water god to be in his early 20. But I do hope he will be casted here (2nd lead?) because he sure doesn't look like his age watching him in the Moonlight

I dont think theres a huge age difference in terms of appearance between Jinyoung and Nam Joohyuk though. They're what, 1990 and 1994? That being said, while they're both great image wise, the character Ha Baek was, in my teenage manhwa-crazed mind, fairly nuanced and angsty... and swoony in a mainstream gruff way in comparison to what the two have done before. Even if they're making a modern jump, they'd have to 180 flip the male lead for NJH to work the way he does best.

Jinyoung was born late 91 and NJH was born early 94.

Not a terrible difference I would say.

Oh, I didn't know that the production wants the actor to be in his 20s. Korean actors doesn't even look old if they're in their 30s. Nam Joo-hyuk totally fits the image of Ha-baek for me though but whether he can act the part is still in question.

Are all the young actors busy? Maybe Kim Min-jae can do this one if they want young actors. I like him as the young king in Goblin.

I loved Jin-young in what I saw of Moonlight, in fact I loved him so much I had to stop watching because I knew I was destined for heartbreak. I was hoping he and Chae Soo-bin's characters would get together but I realized that wouldn't happen, there was no need for me to continue watching the drama. I think he would be a great fit for Habaek acting-wise but I feel like his visual is a little to pretty-boyish.

"There are tons of better actors than him..."
*AHEM* Ji Soo
*AHEM* Kwak Dong Yeon (if we are going to look out for younger dudes who can act, and he can pull off some years older too)

ALSO, even though I love NJH (he is gorgeous and his acting is ok), it's crazy how someone with Ji Soo's acting intensity hasn't been a proper lead yet (and he is a year older, debuted way before in theatre and shows a wide range of emotions in his roles), since Page Turner shouldn't count, due to its length.

About Lee Hyun Woo, the problem is the height. Dramas love to cast guys with cute faces, but they have to be tall, hence why so many models become actors.

Ji Soo is indeed very charismatic and has more years under him as an actor.

KDY is also great! But he isn't that tall at 5'9". Why didn't these former child actors grew taller?! Haha! YSH is also 5'9" and LYW is a mere 5'8". A shame.

Come on tall, it really doesn`t matter if the guy can`t act to save his life, what is he going to be a pillar, street light post or tree, cause 188cm tall (and handsome) is about all Nam Joo Hyuk is.
Ruy Deok Hwan for example is 165cm and he made one hell of a convincing king in Faith all of the other costars were taller than him including his queen.

Nana,

I've to disagree.
NJH did great in Weightlifting Fairy.
He won MBC's Best New Actor and that's because he did and is doing really good in that drama. The drama is at Ep 14 now.

His acting skills have gone a huge notch up.

I am very curious how this one will turn out and excited to see the rest of the cast.

Weightlifting Fairy despite it's whimsical title has one of the most grounded drama I've seen so far.

It's absolutely one of my favorites now.

One of the main reasons is the acting by the leads and the supporting cast.
Nam Joo Hyuk has turned into of one the actors that shows the best promise. Weightlifting Fairy is proof of that. He made 'Joon Hyung' so real and relatable.

I look forward to watching Bride of the Water God !

J watched Weightlifting Fairy what was so outstanding j really cant tell he cried he made a great immature goofy idiotic personality that teenage girls go gaga over cause he is as far from a real man as it can be typical two-dimensional shoujo manga character.
wow he is an actor he supposed to act little deeper than that sorry if j don`t fall head over heels on his terrible 13 prince in Scarlet Heart Reyo or his mediocre immature teenager in Weightlifting Fairy. Where is his presence his charisma his convincing powers of making me think he is the character he is portraying not just a handsome guy saying cheesy script lines with somewhat coresponding facial expresiones.
He has no experience, he is an actor for what 2-3 years he has no screen presence whatsoever how on earth he will be convincing as a GOD of all things.
J dont care how many awards they give him, by the way Koreans give these year end awards to just everyone who was in a drama, and thier standards on quality are very low half the most popular dramas this year were tear-jerking lemonades, no doubt this Bride of the water god will be the same anyhow.

I'm up for LJK so long as the cast is within his age range. it was awk watchign him act in Moon Lovers with a cast 10 yrs his junior. he did well! it's not his fault but it was rly jarring, esp since his chara was /supposed/ to be their age.
in general tho i prefer leads to be a bit older. like late 20's at least. its very rare a youngin can carry a whole drama. actors like Yoo Seung Ho, Kim Go Eun, Yeo Jin Gu and Kim So Hyun are rare indeed.

Park Bo-gum, Kim Yoo-jung, Jinyoung, Kwak Dong-yeon and Chae Soo-bin are also young and they made Moonlight a success.

The casting director of Moonlight is A+++

I really want Ji Chang-wook in this, but it looks like he will choose that melodrama offer one. Sigh. I think he'll do this role justice instead. He already starred in a melodrama before, so why not take a fantasy drama this time... Oh well, maybe tvN doesn't want to cast him again too soon.

Ji Chang Wook is up for the lead in Happiest Time of My Life. There isn't an official air date yet, just some time in 2017.

+1000000000

I totally agree with you, for me JCW is the most fit for the role of Habaek. I actually envisioned him for the role (while reading the manhwa) with his oozing sexiness which Habaek is!!! And only JCW can show that cleavage of him with overflowing sex appeal!! Even if they make this a modern setting, Wookie can still give justice!
And speaking of BRide of the Water God, I am still rooting also for PMY as the main female lead. She and JCW will just give this an explosive performance!

I agree 100% JCW and PMY are amazing.

JCW is perfect for this role . He is super handsome and attractive! It would be nice to see JCW and Park Shin Hye for this drama.

Based on the description, the drama is meant for a less established actor. I was thinking Kang Hanuel to do it to be his first lead role.

Anyhow MLSHR 13th Prince, fighting!

Kang Ha Neul is a very great choice, but I wonder if he fits the character like the manhwa. Other one that I really want is Lee So Hyuk.

I am wishing for Kang Ha Neul too.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think he's signed up to film a movie.

He has a film with Park Seo-joon, who funnily enough, is also a good fit for Habaek.

I guess everybody was just busy for this. Haha!

As someone who has read the manhwa as much as the acting suits LJK i feel like someone else would be better suited. I can't quite say but LJS, gong yoo, ji chang wook, lee soo hyuk, lee seung gi, seo in guk (whoa seo in guk) recently back kim jae joong(appearance wise but not 100% on him either, yoon shi yoon (if his hair was dyed *i mean the emotion*) but nam joo hyuk might be a bit boyish for this character... he does suit the visual...

fine LJK might not be the appearance i'd want for this manhwa but he could deliver on the acting..

but lee jong suk, seo in guk, yoon shi yoon, lee soo hyuk.. WAIT LEE DONG WOOK. wow he'd be pretty darn perfect. I would love thoughts on these thoughts lol.

Lol. I love how stream of consciousness your comment is! I specially loved the "whoa Seo In Guk" and "WAIT LEE DONG WOOK" :)

Bahahahaha, I love the stream of consciousness as well! Awesome. Thanks for a morning pick-me-up!

How about Kim Jae Wook?

Yes! I need to see KJW again.

Well if what the casting team search is an actor in 20s, I'll be glad to suggest Kwak Dong Yeon The Gat Byung Yeon

I vote mr ultimate jawline kwak dong yeon

I SECOND THIS MOTION

You know who I think would definitely fit the role? Sung Hoon. He's very tall, handsome, competitive and has a killer body. The only thing I'm sorta' skeptical about is his acting because he sometimes can come off expression less. Otherwise, he's my Habaek vision.

LEE SOO HYUK WOULD BE PERFECT !!!!!!!!

OMONA!!! Commence angel chorus!
I'm all for Nam Joo Hyuk's success, but Lee Soo Hyuk is soooo perfect for the role of a divinity. Ha Baek is a very complicated character and LSH proved to be able to deliver a complex character such as Gwi and in the most beautiful manner. Man, I'm getting pumped imagining him in hanbok but then they decided to set the drama in the modern times,,, T.T bah.

He was also really good in the portion I watched of Valid Love (I dropped at episode 14 out of 20, so I have seen a lot of it).

THink park hyung shik would do justice to the role..

He is young and can totally pull of regal and angsty hero character

Just Say No.

Too old.

They should find a big star for this series.

I AGREE A HUNDRED TIMES! Ever since I started reading the bride of the water god I've imagined my oppa Lee Jun ki as the water god. nobody else is a better match in my opinion, and nam joo hyuk is still too green for such a weighty character... i hope he won't take that role!

yes. LJK the great!!

Do you like Suzy?

I'm still not sure about Nam Joo Hyuk because his face was too playful.
But, I disagree with Lee Joon Ki, I love his act at Arang & The Magistrate but dislike it at Scarlet Heart.
But, still I don't have any recommendation for this role ha-ha

a-ha. Kim Soo Hyun would be nice, because he has that charismatic aura and also look younger

Omo I read a report where it said he's confirmed. Glad to know it's not (yet) the case. I love him in Weightlifting Fairy, but Habaek is a much heavier character to portray.

And I am still very iffy about the setting change despite the writer's credentials. How is this different from Goblin again?

Gosh. With this casting news it looks like it will be Goblin 2.0 with a younger and less talented cast.

I was thinking oddly enough that Lee dong wook would suit the lead really well 1 with visual and 2 with emotion. seeing him in goblin i'd be satisfied.

I really think its wise for him to branch out and take a few more projects before attempting this. I think he is wonderful but this could be disaster if not done well.
@Elle I too am still mad about changing the timeline. This has one of the best and most elaborate set of heavenly world with gorgeous drawings. It would totally be a visually stunning piece if done right. I am guessing, cost cutting might have something to do with it. The costumes and sets would cost quite a bit money if it followed the original timeline. Still, I am mad.

I love nam joo hyuk but no. Not yet. For this kind of roles.
I am in love with his jung joon hyung because he is an adorable bouncy puppy boyfriend, relationship goals and whatnot.
But this might require a lot of brooding scene, as par as a goblin ahjussi.

Brooding like he did in Who Are You: School 2015?! I'm loving him in WLFKB so I'm trying to erase that memory of him!

I love Nam Joo Hyuk as the adorable Joon-hyung, I really do but I'm not sure he's ready to take on heavier roles. If he does confirm this I hope he'll be able to carry the character right!

Me too. I hope if he does agree to take the role, he'll proof us wrong. Just like he did with WFKBJ..

I just find it funny that he'll probably be swimming for this role again. ^o^

But I'm not ready to let go of the brightness of Joonhyung for the (as I gleaned from spoilers) broodiness of Habaek. As mentioned, he's better at being sweet than serious.

P.S. Also will not be ready to see him with anyone but Lee Sungkyung til 2027. =P

Omg couldnt agree with u more!!!! I'm not sure about this drama otherwise the lead actress is Lee sung kyung..

Its too soon I camt move on from the Swag couple :(

Omo! You are right, not sure I want to see him with a woman, other than Lee Sung Kyung...well they can marry in real life and that would be more or less solved :D

Regarding the offer, don't know what to think. I would be concerned that it could be a step too big too soon, and I feel protective about our Joong Hyun. :) But unlike other people in this thread, I see the a lot of potential in him to perform serious roles. The fact that he does puppy love so well does not keep him to be good at other things: have you seen his scenes with the therapist in WFKBJ? He is flawless there too, the way tears appeared in his eyes when he had the conversation about his trauma, that lost stare, exactly how it would happen in reality. That was the first moment when he impressed me in WF and not in the scenes with Sung Kyung (where, let's be clear, he is being fantastic if not too real for his own good, hehe!). Also in Scarlet Heart I saw a couple of scenes where he impressed me, his last argument with Wang So was so intense. I feel that people are too conditioned by his pretty face and that makes difficult to feel the nuances of his acting other than being cute.
Hope he makes the right choice. I would be delighted to see him as lead again and I trust he is talented enough to do well. :)

Never read the manhwa. But after reading the comments I'm so very sceptical. I feel protective for NJH too, this role could make or break him as an actor. I sure do hope if he accepts that he surprises all of us. He definitely does have potential but kinda rough as an actor.

Well, you might be right, but I can't help but feel happy for him. :) Not everyone gets opportunities and I think he is talented and hardworking, and deserves it.
Anyway, I am optimistic. After all, it's Misaeng's writer and it is an adaptation so we don't know anything about the vibe and the story they are going for, it might be very different from the manhwa. If they have chosen NJH, they will have their reasons. Also, it's a cable drama so I see it as relatively low profile.
Doing secondary roles will only take him so far; if he wants to be a star, he has to take the risk. NJH fighting!! :D

I sure agree with you , He can show more if it's given a chance so hopefully he'll accept this .

That swimming comment tho!

SAME! I am not ready to move on from the #SwagCouple :( Their chemistry on and off screen is unbelievable! <3

I agree that he's too young for this. I'm not if he can pull off sageuk gravitas. Hopefully an experienced actor in his late 20's or early 30's (Yoon Shi Yoon? Lee Min Ki? Park Ki Woong?) will get the role.

*I'm not sure

I would love to see Yoon Shi Yoon in this. Oooh, now I want this to happen so bad

Omo, it hadn't occurred to me until I read your comment, but YES, Yoon Shi Yoon would be so perfect in this role. He still has that baby face, but he can carry so much emotion when he needs to. Drama gods, make it happen!!!

And let's not forget his sparkly eyes!

I agree I think Yoon Shi Yoon is a good choice too.

Well, it's not a sageuk. But I agree. He's handsome but he's not interesting on screen at all.

Oh yes. Please cast Lee Minki, instead.

Yes to Yoon Shi Yoon - with his baby face, he looks 20ish anyway!

yay another person thinking yoon shi yoon. hes one of my picks as well as lee dong wook. then theres lee jong suk, seo in guk, lee soo hyuk.

I feel like a slightly older actor would probably fit the image of the role better, currently Lee Jun-Ki would be the best fit in my opinion, and I think it would probably be better if they stuck to the original setting in the manhwa considering the large fanbase

Noooo...please no. It would be bad for him too. I don't think people would be happy.

My sister loves this manhwa. Also, it feels like this manhwa being a drama has been in talks for years? Or months that felt like years? I remember reading about it before.

Since March 2015 at least. At that time, our dream Habaek was Yoo Seung Ho, which is still a perfect choice, except he's busy with Ruler–Master of the Mask.

Agree. YSH is the ideal Habaek.

Thr production should have offered it to Yoo Seung Ho abit earlier (before Ruler eye him) I'm sure heshould have accepted it. But why oh why :(

Since when did they look for casts anyway? Why does producing it took so many years?

Actually, I thought I heard from somewhere that Yoo Seung Ho doesn't like doing romantic dramas? Or he just simply doesn't do them... Shrug. Don't quote me on that, though.

No, I remember reading about a potential/planned adaptation as far back as 2009 (as in, they wanted to air it that year) so this has been a LONG time in the making.

I like Nam Joo-hyuk, but like jb said - he's too young, and not yet up to headlining projects that aren't heroine-centric. Let alone the role of Habaek, which is light years away from the kind of sweet-natured, affable roles he's actually good at.

I am curious to know more about this manhwa and i will like to see the views from the manhwa readers, if NJH suit with this role.

NJH is cute in WFKBJ, and I dont mind if he continues to be a lead, but honestly he needs to enhance his acting chop before taking up heavier role.

Physically, he does. Habaek is very tall and very handsome. But acting-wise... no.

Thanks!

Yes he's tall and handsome but I don't think he will suit Habaek of manhwa. He doesn't have that heavy and elegant aura imo. NJH seems like that popular and good natured classmate. But a mysterious God? I don't think so.

But since they are setting this in modern time and might change the story to fit it, who knows.

Habaek is handsome and full of charisma (coz the art was awesome) especially when he's with Soah. I'd never seen Nam joo hyuk acting but he definitely has a cute face though I'd prefer if the lead actor portraying Habaek looks more mature.

(Potential Spoiler)
I just can't see Nam joo hyuk having a baby. Habaek and Soah had a baby which I'm not sure if they're gonna include this in the storyline since it is set in present. Anyhow, if he accepts I just hope he justifies Habaek's sageuk handsomeness in the present time.

Thanks Peppa! Nam Joo Hyuk probably fit the character physically but acting wise...maybe no (just like what Elle said.

Lee So Hyuk crossed my mind for this role because he has the charisma and tall (and his voice, and his handsome face) .

now i am curious about Soah's character. :)

Lee soohyuk's voice.. *melting*

His voice and hia face -perfect.

I may not huge fan of him but I want to see moree of him, and he needs to graduate from second lead roles soon.

Elle is right - physically, he's a good fit because he's tall and handsome, but his vibe is NOTHING like Habaek in the manhwa (tortured, angsty, a little sexy - basically a lot like a classic kdrama hero, and that's precisely the kind of role NJH has failed at in the past).

It's more imperative than ever that they get a good actress to star opposite him now.

Now I really want Lee So Hyuk to be Habaek.

Or maybe Seo Ha Jun. I just watched some of his parts in Flower In Prison but it desires me to watch him more in other drama. Physically, he seems fit too.

I haven't read the Manhwa, but if your description is tall, handsome, brooding, Park HaeJin comes to my mind..or is he too old for the role?
I hope (if ever Nam Joo Hyuk accepts this) that he will prove us wrong once more. A lot were pessimistic with his partnership with Sung Kyung but they managed to surprise us. If he accepts, I'll be watching, but whether I'll be a critic or a fan, let's see. Surprise me Nam Joo Hyuk. ?

I think Park Hae Jin will be a good choice for the role. He has that visual and the vibe.

oh he'd def. be believable as a god, PHJ, but let's just say I doubt he'll ever willingly work with tvN again.

I dont think he will want to work with TvN any longer after CITT mess (which is sad because TvN does produce many good drama).

I initially wanted to mention him i but i think better dont wish for something which is unlikely to happen.

Ugh! Too late. I'm already imagining him as Habaek and in my imagination he's PERFECT. Maybe, just maybe, it'll happen (I know I'm being delusional)

When taking about mahnwa, people think about super handsome and beautiful. Like Jo in sung is handsome, NJH is decent looking. And hes pretty new. The production tvn team has always been great but this casting is quite worry.

NJH is tall (1m88). So who is another girl that is super pretty, tall and young?

Lee Sung Kyung is pretty, tall and young :-)))))))))

:))

Yes, that would be veeeeeery awesome... Heheh...
My weightlifting-fangirling heart can go to heaven if that happens.
Except that this is Korea! If it's in the Philippines they will recycle the loveteam over and over and over until you start to hate seeing them on anything. Yep, but Korea rarely ever pair two persons together after a project. ?

Completely understand concerns surrounding his acting chops but come on, Nam Joo Hyuk is more than just decent looking.

He has cute boy, high school look. While mahnwa mainly is manly, dreamy eyes. If you put NJH next to jo in sung, won bin, jung woo sung, you know what i mean :) even when i dont like seo kang joon (and his acting), he still more handsome and mahnwa like

It depends on your personal preferences really. I never thought Jo In-sung (and Seo Kang-joon) is good looking. Plus imo, Seo Kang-joon is definitely not "more handsome" than Nam Joo-hyuk. I can't comment on who's more manhwa-like though; I don't read them at all. But I certainly don't think Nam Joo-hyuk's appearance is a reason for why he should not be casted.

Hmmm....I don't think Nam joo Hyuk will be able to pull this off very well...like javabeans said..he's better at cheesy roles..well who knows too! The writer might make the story cheesy or nam joo hyuk might surprise us!

my tots exactly... when d casting news for WLFKBJ was out, lots of people tot d casts can't really act but now everyone is all singing praises. As you said hr might surprise us when given the chance.

i think its because his character in weightlifting was well written and really tailored for him.. he was also very clear cut with his past relationship towards shi-ho which wasnt what many expected.. and save us the agony of him going through agony or in a messy relationship of anything..

actually weightlifting isnt really a big breakthrough for him yet.. yes he improved.. but the fact is, its really similar to what he had done and always done just that this time a longer version and more screen time..

not forgetting his chemistry with LSK.. they already partnered many times in modelling, photoshoot etc and in the same agency.. so its expected for them to act more comfortably..

as for this show, i didnt read the manhwa and from the post, it seems the writer, director were pretty experienced.. so who knows, maybe he is suited for this role after all, if not why would he be casted..

i really want to see kim ji won in this drama as a female lead but now not so much if he take the lead..he is good but its too soon for him to take such a role...Lee Jun Ki would be better..or alot more experienced actors but anyway if he take the offer good luck!!

Kim ji won! She would be the perfect female lead. Where has she been all this time after DOTS...

Imagining her with LJK on tvn drama. I would cry of happiness

Yess I wanted Kim Ji-won as the female lead in this ever since I saw that fan-made dream cast gifset with her and Kim Woo-bin as So-ah and Hae-bak.

Ohmigosh! I was wondering why it wasn't a drama already!

I understand everyone's concerns, but when I saw the announcement I was just happy for him.

Me too!! i so want NJH to succeed. There must be a reason tvn offers this role. NJH participated in three meals a day, maybe he impressed them with his work ethic. I watched a lot of dramas and when they dont get high ratings, you could totally see everything seems to run outta gas, and everyone seems to throw the towels. In Kim Bok Joo, I still see the insane and fun chemistry between the cast eventhough they re so underrated they keep giving us nice episodes.

I wouldn't put all my stock in tvN's casting decisions, considering they handed Seo Kang-joon the male lead role in Entourage.

This role really should be offered to someone who's a little better at natural intensity while also being really good-looking - someone like Park Bo-gum or Yoon Doo-joon, if they're casting younger.

I agree that tvN doesn't have a perfect casting record, but considering the strong team behind this drama, I doubt that the decision to offer Nam Joo-hyuk the role was made unilaterally by the network. Seems more like there's something that the PD and writer see in him that they think would be good for Ha-baek (at least, their version of Ha-baek - I have a feeling that the emphasis on "spinoff" means that there are going to be significant changes made).

It's definitely a leap in acting ability for NJH, but I don't think it's completely unrealistic for him considering how much he's grown in the past few months, I want to say maybe after spending time with Cha Seung-won and Yoo Hae-jin. Either way, I have enough confidence to remain very cautiously optimistic about this drama.

I believe tvN clarified that he was one of several candidates, so all this speculation may be moot and we end up getting a different actor in the role.

But tvN has had the odd 'trying to push the younger lead' moment for a while now and NJH is a rather surprising departure from the previous leads this writer and PD have worked with, especially in terms of ability/accomplishment, which is why I assumed he was the network's first choice rather than the PD/writer's. And somehow I doubt we're going to get a performance on the level of Lee Jun-ki in Arang or Im Shi-wan in Misaeng.

I don't see PBG going back to cable anytime soon though.

tvN may have a more varied slate than the big 3 stations but they have also big flops this year. They're just as prone to failure.

oh I definitely don't see PBG coming back to cable at this stage either, but if tvN can court stars as huge as Kim Hye-soo, it's not beyond the realm of possibility to at least give PBG a call on this one.

@pogo, Yeah. I assume this is one of the (very many) dramas PBG is being offered at the moment. He and YSH would definitely be on top of every casting director's list when it calls for an early 20's actor.

If tvN clarified that he's just one of the candidates then this could be mere media play or a testing-the-waters tactic.

I expect the mood to be low or bad naturally..

but is this how it works in korea? if the show is a failure, then just let it fail let if fail? i mean i could understand the show being cut short, given less budget or even neglected and stuff.. but anything more beyond that especially in terms of quality in terms of directing acting and editing does sound really unprofessional.. its as if the loyal audience watching the less rated shows are being punished since majority arent tuning in..

And I'm just having trouble imagining this story in modern day Seoul...

The most memorable thing about it was pretty it looked and that had a lot to do with the costuming and backgrounds so that seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. Plus it might leave room for comparisons to Goblin.

Yeah, BotWG definitely takes the cake for the most lavish, luxuriant, and fanciful scenes. The creativity and extravagance of the hair alone is unlike anything I've ever seen in real life.

As I recall it also is a master in the field of infuriating noble idiocy, flip-floppiness, and melodramatics.

Will I watch it? DEFINITELY.

Probably just like Goblin? The backstory is set in ancient time but the main story is in modern day Seoul..

yeah, its gonna get compared to goblin especially if it has flashbacks to saeguk times. but it feels like a missed opportunity to not set it in the past, looking at goblin, their saeguk parts are so beautiful and cinematic. but it requires are higher budget, so maybe that's why they opted for modern day settings but i just feel it could have been better in the past. like i could watch goblins saeguk parts all day and wouldnt mind if the whole drama was saeguk. it very well done.

My feelings exactly - the entire appeal of the manhwa was its setting and aesthetic, and now they're changing both of those.....

I'll still be watching though, because I love the writer - I'm just worried about the project following the adaptation/casting decisions.

I like him, but this is a miscast.

Honesty, I think he rose up to lead roles too quick. Weightlifting Fairy was a good match for him because of the character, but he's not ready for this kind of role.

tvN's been doing well, I have a great amount of respect for them for taking risks, but they seem to be getting a little too ambitious too fast. This feels like they're hoping for a repeat of the success of Goblin, but I don't think it's gonna work out for them.

@Callie - I agree, I like him and he's improved majorly since School 2015 but he is definitely NOT up to leading roles in dramas that

1) require him to play something other than sweet and likable, the way he was in Surplus Princess or Weightlifting Fairy

2) are not heroine-centric. A good chunk of the appeal of Weightlifting Fairy comes from how easily Lee Sung-kyung carries it, which takes a huge lot of weight off NJH. If he's the one having the story centred around him/equally with him and the heroine though.... nope.

Seriously, I'd have far less misgivings if Lee Sung-kyung had been the Weightlifting Fairy cast member courted for the lead in this drama - she really does look like the most gorgeous girl around, and she can act too.

Reading this, I'm speechless. He is a good looking actor but can't they cast someone who has the acting chops to make it more interesting for us to watch. If he is cast as a supporting actor instead of the main, I'm definitely fine with it. This dude has a long way to go. Maybe YG should lobby him in a weekend drama instead of primetime, because I'm so sick of watching unworthy actors getting primetime lead roles.

"Unworthy actor" - either you're not watching his current drama or... you're not watching his current drama. As a prime time lead actor, he is basically pitch perfect casting for WLFKBJ. There's absolutely zero doubt about that.

And just as a FYI, no one knows what kind of time slot this drama will be getting. So you may very well get your wish and this may just be a "weekend drama". Who knows.

tvN doesn't work like other stations. Their primetime weekend dramas are their crowning jewels (ie Reply 1988, Signal, Goblin).

Weekend dramas in network television are less regarded because they're mostly makjang with lower production value and less starry cast.

I get that YG wants him to be a bonafide leading man but I find that they're personally being too ambitious as NJH hasn't really proven himself an actor with range and weekend dramas are a good way to polish skills.

I like him a lot and I think he's good at certain things as an actor (basically everything he's doing in WF) but this kind of project/role is definitely biting off more than he can chew. Nothing wrong with people pointing that out.

The only reason he's perfect for his current role in WLFKBJ is because of the character he's portraying. It doesn't take much to pull off that kind of lightweight character that many other actors can as well. HaBaek is a totally different character to his current one. Far more multi-dimensional that requires more acting skills. He just doesn't seem like he can pull off the vibe AT ALL. While some may argue that if he takes the role and prove us all wrong, he could be amazing. I'd rather not risk such a big role with a 'he might be able to' situation. Why not cast someone with more surety.

he is pretty much green.

MTE. He got leads the easy way through YG and his good looks. Well-regarded leading men worked their way up in weekend drams and supporting roles to polish their skills first. He's being loved in Weightlifting but that doesn't mean he is ready for more leading roles, especially with a character like this.

and do you think to become YG actor is easy? I don't think so.

LOL of course it is. He started out modeling with YG then YG transitioned him into acting. That's basically like flying business class while his contemporaries are building up careers in supporting roles with no assurance that they'll hit big someday. However you put it, being in a big agency is an advantage.

I will not deny that being in a big agency has helped him as an actor and especially in getting juicy roles, but it irritates me when people say NJH is only getting these roles because of the power of his agency or even sponsors! Or that he is not hardworking.

His first acting role in Surplus Princess was not because YG pulled any strings. The director actually sought him out after seeing him in Akmu's mv and practically begged him to be in it although he initially refused. In an interview he stated that he AUDITIONED for the leading role for School 2015 FIVE times. After the bad reception from School 2015 this dude went back to working his way up doing supporting characters. He did Glamorous Temptation, CITT, and ML then went to lead for WF. The boy barely get any breaks as well working so hard and doing a variety show 3MAD in between all consecutively.

And he's not the most popular young actor out there, but looking at his instagram numbers he has a good amount of fans that may be of interest to casting directors + he actually shows growth potential.