Open Thread #486

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

The OT comes up later than usual now a days.
TRIP TO KOREA
Wasn't someone here mentioned visiting south korea during end of 2016? I wonder how did the trip turn out.

Has anyone tried korean beauty products? are they really much more effective than let's say regular big brands? Any to suggest? face products work best ;)

PSYCHOLOGY OF STARDOM
Q: Do these celebrities mature more quickly? I think back to when I was 19/20 and then these idols or even young actors like suzy.. they are so much more mature amidst this insane stardom... and i couldn't manage attention of morning roll calls..

Q: How taxing is it emotionally.. like doing these close scenes with every other actor.. everyone is prettier than the next person in line...i wonder how parents and families deal with it.
When does manager become everything over mom and dad..

Q: fans whom you butter up all through your professional life are as fickle as they come
they won't take 2 seconds before moving on to the next eye candy or sensation.

Q: Do we/audience psychologically try to balance out the positives of this insane wealth and populairty
by restricting private lives of the celebs? Or are we just lusting after the seemingly perfect lives
Stardom is unhealthy for so many stakeholders

Was reading up on Cinderella Syndrome.. how it has become a mass reality for women and their
expectations off the man
***********
Watched hapi mari..
So unlike most of the Japanese drama that have a whacky sense of humour.

And then anime seems even better.

1. Any other suggestions on good japanese/ or any other language drama (barring old school, i think liar games was really nicely done)?
started we married as a job but 2 episodes down not feeling it..dropped it

2. Any other good romantic drama? or even completed mangas?

3. Any new variety? although yay for JJY being back and RM last two episodes are so so
much better.

4. Umm.. did anyone follow the CIIT manga post the drama? How did the story end there?
Really curious abt this one

NOt watching anything at the moment.. suddenly after a year of being on one's toe.. this weel was so
devoid of drama enthusiasm.. not one series managed to grip my attention as yet

**********

Park hyung shik fever is so so so real. not sure how to survive till 24th and once that series gets over
20 more episodes of him and then wait worth a year or two
**********
So finallycaught up with tomorrow with you.
Shin minah - she is a perfect combo of sexy, cute, beautiful, pretty.. just so perfect
and acts so cute..

I love the color tone and directorial style..

although my only question? Why is the male lead so celebrated here.
Priori to this i saw him in signal.. where he was ok.. and in these two episodes also
he didn't exactly shine..he is ok..

riding on signal's laurels or is there other stuff worth the reference?

I think We Married as a job has a specific theme that work best but can feel normal/usual too.
So I think it worth to check more since the magnet is how the relationship developed and how marriage is told in bussiness perspective, is marriage as a job worthed for normal people?

I think you may like
Suddenly we getting married - Jdrama, it just starts.

I agree, I also suggest watching more of We Married as a Job. It turned out to be an unexpectedly feminist show, dealing with various issues: being a single mother, a driven career woman, an unemployed and seemingly unwanted/unnecessary woman. It touches upon self-worth and relationship growth, too.

Oh I also want to note that many bizarre and quote is a parody from popular show.
It hilarious when you familiar with the other show but also quite confusing.

Sorry for riding all ur comments beanies!

I just want JB can read my comment or any of u who can answer:

why OT didn't have music attached to it anymore ??

ok now i remember, now all recaps doesn't have any single music attached anymore, last time still have. I know for now the expanded bean-army, will be tough to pick a song for every recaps, but JB, can u keep the tradition music just for OT? I miss listening to ur indie/catchy song and very nice at 2am reading thru OT with ur choice of music. nice friday nite :))

Ya.. i got the sense they were addressing the age old economics question of how true gdp is not measured because house work is not accounted for..

and in general the plight of being a house wife.. just didn't captivate me from romance/drama perspective..

Guess need to be in a certain mindframe to watch it

There is also the big self worth problem of the guy. He doesn't even think it to be possible that someone might love him. I found it to be a rather interesting take. It was difficult for him to admit it to himself. I guess there are a lot of people like him.

Cheese in the Trap manwha is not finished yet. Writer was supposed to end it at 50 episodes for the fourth season but I think she's milking the fame from the show. It's now at 70 episodes and counting.

Re: Lee Je-hoon, since I'm currently watching Signal and my impression is still fresh. At first I didn't really like him, thought he's too intense and prone to overact, but eventually he grew on me. He has this certain charm (and good looks!) that slowly lured me in. I think he's done quite well in movies, so maybe this fuels the hype, too.

Lee Je-hoon's looks sure made sit for 2 hrs of Tomorrow Without You.

By the way, did he fixed his nose after Signal?

Lee Je-hoon takes criticisms like a pro. Instead of defending himself, he makes improvement. There is always room for improvement even with veteran actors.

Hope he is doing well in his new drama.

He’s doing well in the drama.

Overact in signal? His expression was actually monotonous in Signal. He wore the frustated look the whole drama.

Well there are only few k actors who can actually show emotions vividly. At least Lee Je Joon was not expressionless like many of them.

I didn't think he was goodlooking at all but he grew on me too. And for some reason I'm finding him very attractive in Tomorrow with You.

Me too! I don't know what it is about him in Tomorrow with you , but I find him super attractive!

Lee Je-hoon was good in Signal, but I wasn't attracted to him or could picture him as a romantic lead. TWY is outstanding and has changed my mind. I'm loving Lee Je Hoon's character and the chemistry with Shin Min Ah.

I am currently watching two new Japanese drama from manga, Totsuzen Desu ga, Ashita Kekkon Shimasu and Tokyo Tarareba Musume. And also another new Japanese drama: A life, Itoshiki Hito. Those drama are still ongoing, so I can't comment on the ending and overall story.

Thanks for the suggestion. Started tosuzen.. and absolutely love it.. i love the two leads.. and the story..

for a change actress has a good dressing sense..and those specs.. super ute..

I haven't been able to find tokyo's episodes.w here youw atching?

Lee Je Hoon is one of my favorite actors along with YAI, CJH, PHS. I think he's very talented and adds a level to intensity to his roles and characters that others find overacting but I find pulls me in and has me really feel for and further connect to his character.

I'm loving him along with Shin Min Ah in Tomorrow With You, which after only two episodes is my drama crack (I have a thing for this kinds of melancholy, but still has a sprinkle of happiness and life lessons, sort of slow moving, not really this or that dramas i.e. 'Dear My Friends'

I fell for Je Hoon in his breakout role in Bleak Night (all three actors in that are so so talented and each character and the story will break you in a different way) and I have never looked back. I think he does better in movies than dramas. Check out Just Friends, Bleak Night, Architect 101, The Frontline, My Paparotti, and Phantom Detective.

For dramas stay away from Fashion King and Secret Door (all the wasted talent *cries for Han Suk Kyu* and potential. boy does my bb pick sucky dramas). You have to watch Signal (yes, watch it again) and Tomorrow With You (only two episodes in).

He shines a lot in movies, I started to find out more about him after Secret Door although couldn't finished this drama until the end. I am glad that he does not stay away from drama.

I dont know, but he is so charming and talented. Together with Shin Minah, they both look like a painting on the wall.

I love that imagery of yours - ‘Together they both look like a painting on the wall’
So true. Both are incredibly cute.

On Lee Je-Hoon, I really like him not just for his acting, but because he seems like such a genuine guy in real life. I've read a few of his interviews and I'm always impressed. But I like his acting too--it doesn't feel forced to me here at all. I agree he was a bit too intense at the beginning of Signal, but that was also a conscious choice on his part according to an interview, and when viewer response wasn't so great he changed gears.

There are other things, he was incredibly praised for his role in Bleak Night, which I've never seen but I'd like to.

LJH is one of the only k-actors whose interviews I always search translations for. Dude just loves acting and telling stories so much, and it's so apparent in the way he speaks and conducts himself. It's refreshing compared to all the idols that are forced into it by their agencies or the ones that feel like they're just in it to bring home the bucks.

Right? And then I laugh every time he talks about how he isn't funny, or that people might think it's boring that he loves to watch movies for the acting etc. because I think it's totally interesting! He just seems like such a natural, real guy who loves to act. I'd love to get to know him in real life.

Daebak..Today is my day in OT! First SIG and now Lee Je Hoon! I’m pleased to see all the Lee Je Hoon love you guys.. (*Getting all misty- eyed)
He may not be as versatile as SIG or Jo Jung Suk in dramas (comparing him to the lead actors of his current PD’s previous works), but he certainly has a charm of his own. And I agree with everyone here who talked about his personality. His interviews are what impressed me more and that’s how I started fangirling him. @Cozybooks - real. Ya that’s the word. No pretensions and just so earnest. It’s such a rare quality to find in celebrities ( and in people in general!), so it makes him incredibly attractive in my eyes. And there was this instagram video of him helping a mum carry her pram up the stairs of Seoul train station. ? Ergo my cutie pie is also a thoughtful guy.
And it doesn’t hurt having a gorgeous face, radiant smile and sexy voice to top it all off. ?

I really love his personality too. I enjoy watching his interviews. He seem nice, playfully, shy, caring, and also really genuine. He cares a lot for his craft and tries his best to always learn more as an actor and grow. He's also really funny and respectful and just cuddly bunny imho.

Hi EZ!

Considering the questions you've posed, I think you might like "The Birth of Korean Cool: How One Nation is Conquering the World through Pop Culture" by Euny Hong.

Chapter titles include: Before Cool, The Birth of Irony, Kimchi and the Cabbage Inferiority Complex, When Korea Banned Rock 'n' Roll, and K-Drama: Television and the Origins of Hallyu
etc.

It is entertaining, informative, and fun!

I think @May in comment 12 would like this too! (I'm definitely interested). Thanks, Owl!

For a good Japanese romance drama that's not too wacky, i suggest Love Shuffle (2009) and Dear Sister (2014). Actually i watched many j-dramas in the last couple of years, but somehow only these two i can think of right now...

I still read CitT, the english translation on Line Webtoon is still on season 3, but so far i think the drama had indeed stayed true to the webtoon (well except maybe for the latter episodes).

Hey EZ! You should check out sokoglam.com to learn more about Korean skincare! I've been lurking the site for awhile, but haven't gathered enough money to purchase a bunch of the Korean skincare products on the site that I've been dying to try. It's not that they're THAT expensive, it's just I wanna get into the 10-Steps Korean Skincare Routine/Regimen (I know, 10!), so I'm trying to make sure I can afford to splurge on at least the essentials of the 10-Steps, haha. I hear it really does work and it's a lot of good stuff for your face and body, haha. Charlotte, the founder, writes a lot of detailed explanations about the benefits of the 10-Steps, so you can read into that, too. The site is easy to navigate and most, if not all of the products have easy-to-follow instructions on how to use and what's it good for, too.

Hi,

It is such a great site..

really thank u

Hapi Mari is josei manga and that genre tend to be less wacky nor slapstick (Nodame is the exception). Other less slapstick manga adaptation are 5 Ji Kara 9 Ji Made, Oishii Kankei, Real Clothes, Koizora, and many more (the first one manga hasn't complete yet).

The last complete shojo manga I've read is Last Game by Amano Shinobu, it's so cute. Many said it's similar with Special A, but I like Last Game more.
Faster Than a Kiss is good too, even with a teacher marry his student premise, it's not that dari and cute.

I'm following Horimiya and eventhough many complaint that the story lead to nowhere, I don't mind it. Yes, I drop a lot of shonen manga as the story keep dragging to nowhere (it's including One Piece, Terraformars), but I like the slice of life side of Horimiya. It's like Doraemon, I don't care how it end or will it end, it's like meeting friend and have a new conversation everyday.

Which remind me that despite it's popularity, Doraemon haven't get it's live adaptation (even Maruko, Kochikame, and Ranma had it!)

Hi everyone,Its weird before they started I planned to watch Saimdang and Missing 9 on WED-THURS but for some reason I didn’t watch them,today out of nowhere I decided to watch chief Kim and I like it lol its just so funny and weird.First time seeing NamGoong Min as a non villainous character and he just nails it what a funny watch am on episode 3 now am gonna binge watch it and then suffer the wait…lol

Well you didn't really miss out, even though I'm not watching "Chief Kim", but I dropped both "Missing 9" and "Saimdang". I dropped "Missing 9" because it was ridiculous, and "Saimdang" because it was too boring.

I think Saimdang got better this week. I watch all three and enjoyed them all, even though I also watch Cheif Kim first.

Agree. I love both Lee Young Ae and Yang Se Jong that I reluctant to say this is a boring drama.

There are times you are willing to watch the shows mostly because of the casts. But overall I dont think this is totally bad production, at least for me. Although honestly, i always chose to watch Chief Kim first for Wed-Thursday slot.

You know it's my first time commenting . I absolutely love both of them. Chief Kim is fricking hilarious and NGM is hitting it out of the park. I don't know who has written it but it is very refreshing for an office drama. Saimdang got a lot of flack and I am sort of scratching my head. I think it is beautifully shot people say it looks dated, its colours are definitely muted but it doesn't look old to me, maybe it's my age , I think for the moment the plot is interesting and even SSH is doing a better than a handtowel job ( I must say I did have a giggle when i saw the comments, he does tends to be a one tune pony). So thumbs up. I do so enjoy reading all your beaners' comments, your passion is so forthright I love it.

Saimdang is not boring. I like how the writer paralleled the story of lee young as future and past self. It was very creative of the writer to create a fusion saeguk that involves art and how the director portrayed the past scene and future is harmonious. Pls do not judge a drama like that just because it does not match your cup of tea.

One of the reasons why I keep watching k drama is because I love to discover how the plot and cinematography flow in a drama. It make me wonder why did they show the scene such way. How will the plot serve the story. Because I have to admit that these days this industry are getting crazier.

I don't think that I will ever be bored watching dramas. Haha.

i guess i will give Saimdang a chance once it ends.

Agree. I like Saimdang a lot so far and I esp. like the slow pace. It's beautifully shot and Mr. Hand Towel acts uncringeworthy. Yes, he already 'acted' in his Chinese movie and he repeated it here again. Color me surprised.

Just read, that they think of re-editing it, because it's not leading the ratings. They already messed up Moon Lovers so let's use today's favorite words: Bad idea! Sad!

Chief Kim is my current K-drama character crush... lol. I love all this antics. Suddenly woke up at 2 am and could not go back to sleep. So, I ended up watching Chief Kim and hurting my stomach!

Hahahaha.....he is so funny and very unpredictable i laughed so hard at episode two ending *SPOILER ALERT* when he fell and ended up saving the lady ,i replayed the scene for like 10 times.

Will watch Le Je Hoon

Now I am a fan of:
Park Hyung Shik. Park Hae Jin. Junho 2PM.

I nearly had a spit take today when watching episode 6 this morning during breakfast. With Chief Kim, even when you know something is going to happen and anticipate it, the actual execution is just amazeballs and freakin hilarious.

I haven't started Chief Kim yet - but now I might up it on the list!! But I might also wait for it to finish... haha

Something I've noticed is that if I'm watching a drama that is currently airing, I tend to forget the nervous energy/excitement/happiness I feel by the time the next episode comes out. When that happens I push off watching it... which turns into I never finish watching the series. Coughcough this happened with Goblin coughcough. I remind myself to watch it but when I actually go to, it's like ehhhhh. I don't even remember what happened last time... I can keep pushing it off. I don't know if it's just me, or a reflection on the drama (maybe it's got a slow plotline or something).

In other cases I'll start a drama that is complete (just so I can binge watch it!) and then I start to grow exasperated with the drama or want to skip some parts and just know the ending. I find myself looking for episode recaps instead.

So somehow I turned this post into how I end up not finishing some dramas?? I guess for me, binge watching only works if the drama really hooks me.

Totally and completely agree with you on the subject of 'continuing' a drama - binge watch or airing. My k-drama life.

Wait till it ends then and binge watch it, just dont skip it you wont regret watching it.

I like to binge watching!!
But I need coverage for that! bcs i will be MIA for 48/72 hours, even 4 days, anti social, order food, showerless, more snack, and laptop is my bestie.
SCARY HUH. DRAMALAND, ur spell is stronger then GOBLIN !!

Btw, I need help & suggestion Pleasee chaebal..
I want to watch these below list, but I scared it will be wasted :

I Remember You (SIG & JNR) or Police Unit 38?
I Remember You, Son of War
High School King of Savy
Good Wife... anyone watched? please rate!
Reply forgot.. (the 2 later series)
Moonlight by the Cloud (I super scared it will be just another cross dressing hijinx , I over it since To The Beautiful You :( they ruined my favourite JDORAMA ever Hanazakari no Kimitachie..

1. Police unit 38 - cons are always fun.. first 3-4 episodes are slow so be warned. I remember you, personally is an alright show.. i watched it after it completed airing, so that's a factor.. but strictly alright (the actors are all charming.. not an unpredictable storyline)

2. IRY is less frustrating when it comes to decisions and choices of the characters. Son of War is soo good but soo frustrating up until ep 19.. anything our hero does gets counterattacked brilliantly and Namgoong is such an amazing villain

3. Good wife was good.. despite watching it after following amercian series for 4 seasons at least (then got bored)..its a good enough adaptation. actors are all good. treatment is skillful.

4. Personally i am a big big big big fan of 1988- it is also my first reply series. The episodes are really long but i enjoyed all storylines and wasn't bothered.. but if you are going in only for the romance.. that isn't the sole focus of the show.. its slice of life and capitvating

people love 1997 - it is out an out about the romance and friendships.. so in that sense it offers something different.

1994 - personally, only good thing about this series is chilbongie.. and other housemates.. the lead actress is meh at best..HOWEVER, still manages to grab attention

MORAL OF THE STORY- start with any, you'd like all three..

Moonlight by the cloud: lol i loved hanzakari.. and oguri shun is another level. None of Kdrama adaptations have ever managed to outdo japanese originals (looking at playful kiss, concerto, boys over flowers, liar games)

moonlight by the cloud is alright (again.. i really do have contrary remarks on this one compared to most people here. Actors all great and they keep you busy.. but story wise, romance wise.. it was alright.. nothing out of the park.. but then if someone says stare at bogum's face for 18 hours, i can definitely do that) .. i had to make real effort to watch every new episode.. its not that episode ended and i 'd be desperately waiting for the next one..

I personally really enjoyed I Remember You (with SIG)! It's got some mystery and romance. SIG's character reminds me of Sherlock Holmes in a way - so if you enjoy that theme it might be good for you!

I started but never finished Moonlight drawn by clouds... at some point I just got tired of the main female lead.

And hahaha I watched To The Beautiful You before realizing it was a remake of Hana Kimi. After watching Hana Kimi (Taiwan and Japanese versions) I agree that those are a lot better then the Korean version!

I can't really speak to the rest of the dramas you mentioned as I haven't watched them...

The female lead in MDbC was probably the weakest part of the show for me, but not enough for me to dislike the show. I actually quite liked it. This was my first Park Bo Gum show and it made me into an instant fan of his. He has quite an amazing range of emotions as an actor. I love the gender bender aspect of it in that it's somewhat close to Coffee Prince in how it treats the male character's coming to terms with who he loves. As far as Sageuk dramas go, I liked how the politics play out in this. It was quite different to the few others I watched. Lastly, I really liked the second male lead in this. He was pretty cool. I liked this show.

I Remember You (SIG & JNR) or Police Unit 38?

I Remember You was really good, especially if you ignored the ridiculous 'romance' plotline they tried to shoehorn in. The narrative is darkity-dark-dark (it's about child abuse, murder, serial killers, weird loyalties, etc), but there's a lot of sympathy for all the characters, even the evil ones (not to the point of excusing their actions, but in how it doesn't shy away from the fact that some of the root causes are nurture, not nature...and vice versa.)

I do both binge and watch airing dramas. The same thing happens with me re: losing interest as it airs. I think, for me anyway, it means the drama is not totally satisfying me at some level because some dramas I'm raring to go the minute I have time to watch. K-2 and Goblin are shows I didn't plan to drop but ended up dropping because I just lacked the interest to continue. If I'd waited until they completed their run, I might have continued watching but hit the fast forward button a bit.

Who knows, maybe someday I'll go finish them up.

I dropped Goblin and K-2 too!

I tend to be the same way when watching currently airing dramas. I had to binge watch Hwarang the other day just to catch up for the last four episodes. The same thing happened with Goblin. Thankfully both shows are enjoyable, especially in the case of Goblin which is longer, so it didn't seem tedious. If I'm not fully engaged in a show when I binge watch, I do the same and skip parts. Then there are shows that I love and binge watch in 2 days of less, or must keep up to date with and cannot wait for the tortuous week to roll around for just 35-60 minutes of enjoyment only to rinse and repeat.

Whoah! Longest sentence ever!

RE: MJUSIkurd's comment.

hahahah???? i was in a hurry so that i can continue with my episode.

Happy Friday everyone!!!

By the way, does anyone know OST for "Solomon's Perjury"? Been looking for them anywhere but I could not find them... my favorite one is the song played by the end of final episode. Thanks!!!

Been looking for the SP OST for a while now too, but no luck. ?

It seems like when a show airs on a smaller cable network like JTBC or OCN, the OST is less likely to be released. It's been months, and I still can't find the complete OST for Police Unit 38 either.

JTBC said that there wouldn't be any OST release, because music director just did arrangement and adaptation on songs and used them. I read in JTBC board.

Happy Friday! Even though I don't have a crack drama at the moment, I am happy with shows offered to us currently. And I can't wait for next episodes(7,8) of Defendant. Production team said even staffs were flabbergasted at shocking twists and it would surely give satisfaction to the viewers. PD also said Ji Sung was skipping meals to create believable image of death-row inmate. He is simply amazing.
Another thing is that I am sad there will be no more child Gildong. PD of Rebels said the show is especially popular among female viewers in their 20-30's, and they think that it is due to child Gildong actor Lee Ro-woon.heh. He is amazing when his acting experience includes only one show 'Everything will be ok' last year.

Anyway there were more interviews with casts of finished shows.
Seo Eun-soo(22) who played Pyo Na-ri's young step mother in JI, and Yeon-hwa in Romantic doctor had an interview.[Star News] She just debuted in 2016, so she was happy to be in two popular shows. About Romantic doctor, Seo said she hoped the show never finish. "The set atmosphere was so nice that everybody said there would be no other set like this one. I started filming feeling happy and ended happily, and I didn't want it to end. I thought many times I didn't want to part from these people and ended up getting emotional. I teared up even when I was shooting a happy scene, and as soon as I finish my last scene, I was overwhelmed with emotions. It is really precious project for me. I don't think I can ever forget this."

Seo said she wants to be like Seo Hyun-jin(OHYA). "Seo Hyun-jin sunbae-nim is great actress with excellent concentration and ability to immerse herself on the set. Watching her, I felt "Oh this is how the beauty of acting perfect looks like." She is an actress who proves what is the most beautiful and shines. After the light turned off, she did consistently well to staffs and actors, and I realized how great sunbae-nim was. I'd like to be like her someday, I'd like to be remembered as great sun-bae even on personality-wise like Seo sunbae-nim. I tried hard to file her in my memory throughout the shooting."

Seo had one-sided crush on Yoo Yeon-suk in the show. "I should've worked better in scenes with Yoo Yeon-suk sunbae. I felt disappointed. I could understand Yeon-hwa's feeling in the show because I had same experience. Since I knew what 'love at first sight' was like , I could relate to how she felt. But I don't think I portrayed as I wanted. Yoo Yeon-suk sunbae-nim was considerate for a clumsy person like me many times. When he found me being nervous he played jokes on me, so I was grateful. He is not a person who tells you what to do, but a person who worry with you when you tell him your concern."

About Han Suk-kyu, Seo said, "On the set, everyone called Han Suk-kyu sunbae-nim Sabu-nim(teacher). He was Sabu-nim to me too, giving me lots of warm advice. When I looked dispirited, he tried to lift up my spirits. He said "How was your shooting yesterday?" or "What are you distressed about?" which made me feel at ease.

To play her character, Seo went through some serious preparation. "Because I played the character who had malnutrition, I went on diet. Even after diet, PD-nim said I had to lose more, so I lost 4kg more. I studied scripts long and hard enough that I don't think I slept more than 1 hour."

She is from Pusan and has Pusan accent (remember Reply 1997?)."I look I don't use saturi, but when I talk to my parents on the phone, my saturi comes out. When I use saturi, I feel relaxed. I think it is really hard to fix saturi unless you really put your mind to it. I was nervous because saturi came out on the set by accident, but PD-nim said it was ok to use saturi because it could be melted into the scene. I was grateful."

Seo mentioned about her parents' objection on her becoming an actress. "I may look like I had an easy life. But I had lots of part time jobs when I was young. When I said I would do the acting after I majored dancing in the high school, my parents objected to it, but now they are very proud of me. I am very grateful because they cheer me on... I think my thought about acting is changed doing projects. I'd like to be an actress rather than a star, and become good actress like sunbae-nims. I want to become an actress who is always prepared and wanted. Rather than acting in similar patterns, I want to become an actress people ask "Is she really her?" I am trying to show various images of me."

well, I was disappointed they didn't pursue her romance line with cute nurse(Kim Min-Jae). Seo Eun-soo fighting!

Han Suk-kyu is Kim Sabu through and through. He is an inspiration to many actors. I really really miss him but I'm excited that his new movie is coming out soon.

The Prison: Han Suk-kyu and Kim Rae-won.

This going to be good.

I am totally busy but somehow manage to binge watch
Rakuen - Jdrama
It's weird because I find it too slow but also intriguing. I like the core story is not about revealing big murder and return justice but more of a journey to find an answer.
I really like how we have people that are supportive, support only few character and it feels that the character are real people.
Hitoshi's mom, the husband (both from the younger sister and the female protagonist just very supportive), the good lawyer who know how the ethics and others that behave as they have lives outside of helping the main story. Like they could care less if the mystery unfold, they are affected but not suffer more if it still uncovered.
This is a weird things that even if the stor is a puzzled, I can symphathise with the characters.

Plan to starts
Three Lives Three Worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms - Cdrama

Rakuen is in my watch list too, but I will wait until it complete. My live airing jdorama is only Quartet as my watch list is still long with other completed drama and movie.
Other reason is with Nakama Yukie, I prefer her in period drama than modern one. She has that kind of aura that emits an elegant and unreachable ojou-sama feels that suit period drama well. Trick was fun but her other detective drama Sakura is disappointing so for this one I will watch it in one go (it's just 6 eps anyway).

I plan to watch Three Lives too but movie version. I don't think I will watch the drama version as I already has The Glory of Tang Dynasty in my list.

Yoo Yeon-suk(33) who played doctor Kang Dong-joo in Romantic Doctor also had an interview. [Star News]
He came back from the reward trip recently. "Yesterday exchanging greetings with staffs, I felt very sad thinking it would be hard to see these people again. It is not easy all staffs and actors doing shooting laughing. Shooting itself was not easy, but it left good memories so I feel sad rather than feeling relieved." He had feedbacks like his project of life changed to this show from Reply 1994. "I feel hesitant to say my role-of-life is changed. I just think I gained another character to be remembered by people, and Chilbong-yi in Reply 1994 was not real me Yoon Yeon-suk. I think it is fortunate that I gained another character loved by people."

About Kim Hye-soo who played Kim Sabu's first love Lee Young-jo, Yoo said "I have never met Kim Hye-soo sunbae-nim in person, so I was curious, and all staffs had high expectation. She said she watched all episodes. She said it was very nice she could play with us, and she was worried appearing in last part of the drama which had been good but had fun. We were grateful. For the scene she was with Han Suk-kyu sunbae-nim, I felt like it was a scene from a movie. It had different feel. I thought the power an actor gives out could be so much different. I was also shocked when I acted with her because she came thoroughly prepared for medical terms and surgery scenes."

Yoo was happy getting a couple awards with Seo Hyun-jin in the year-end awards ceremony. "We talked about it before the ceremony. I was asked if I could get only one of acting award or couple award, which one I'd like to have, and I said I hoped to get a couple award since we worked together. So I was very happy and grateful. Our show was not melo, so we couldn't expect it much and I think that is why I wanted even more. Even though we didn't have many scenes, I think we showed good chemistry."

Because team was so amazing, he hopes for season 2. "People were talking about it around the time the drama ended. I thought even if it is not a medical drama, it would be great if we could work together. I think (Kang Eun-kyung) writer-nim must had difficulties. It was more like writing 2-3 times. She examined scripts with consultation from medical professionals, modified, and came and checked with doctors on the set before doing shoots, so the whole process went through extra steps which required more time and attention than regular dramas. But there was not even once the script came out late. We always had scripts a week ahead before we actually filmed. If script comes out late with a medical drama, it would be very difficult, but she gave us scripts early and I thought scripts were amazingly tight. If writer-nim does season 2, I am willing to do it."

He worked with Han Suk-kyu before in a movie 'The Royal Tailor (Sanguiwon)' in 2014. "He gave lots of good advice. Since this time we had scenes face to face, I seemed to have gotten more advices. The one I remember the most is "Don't act facing camera." You concentrate and exchange the lines with oter actors, but there is a moment you become conscious of the camera. You have to think about that moment- he said. And he said not to act too much(overact?). He said about acting only 20 won(2cents) worth. Sunbae-nim said how about him act as much as 20 Won worth, and Yeon-suk act as much as 50 Won worth. And I understood exactly what he talked about."

Yoo said he didn't know he would compete with Go Ah-ra(Reply 1994) in the same time slot. "I heard (Go)Ah-ra filmed for very long time- longer than expected. They filmed in the middle of summer having difficulties, so I cheered her on. I didn't know they would compete against our show at first. Since our project received lots of love, I wanted Hwarang did good too. I told Jo Yoon-woo (plays pretty hwarang Yeo Wool Rang. He belongs to same agency as Yoo. Do you know he got the highest mark in the open audition for Hwa-rang role? Show should give us more of him for sure.) to do well during the year-end party. I thought he was the prettiest in the show. I think I told him he really looked pretty."

About high ratings they received, he said he didn't expect it. "I've never imagined we could receive this much love. I was sure that we could make a meaningful project, a project we could relay something after the first scripts read meeting. But I couldn't guess the ratings...When I film a show I never have a chance to think about it. I finished a musical before Romantic Doctor, and I took a break for 4-5 months, and I had time to think. Thinking back, I think that was the first time I took a break. I thought acting was the work I really wanted to do, but when I had this break all of sudden, I had this question. "Do I really like acting? It can be good, but there will be times it can't, and would I still like to do this?" But I felt more thirsty for acting. After I did this project, I felt I like doing what I am doing, and even though there is no guarantee all my projects will succeed, I don't worry much about it."

As the most memorable line, Yoo picked "Are you good doctor, or best doctor?"."There were many lines, but there was a scene I asked Kim Sa-bu nim "Are you good doctor, or best doctor?" And he said "I am a doctor patients need the most now." Doing that line, I asked myself. "Am I a good actor, or best actor, or needed actor by viewers? I think that was the most memorable line. It made me think I have to become an actor who is needed." He continued, "I think when I first started out, I tried to become a good actor. I continuously tried to hear "There is this newbie actor who acts well. He is a capable guy." When I received more love later, I became greedy to become the best actor. But now I think I want to become an actor who is needed in any projects. I think it would be nice if I become an actor viewers say "I want to see him acting again" feeling sad when I say I stop acting, and staffs and production team say "He is an actor really needed in this project."

Yay please do more dramas Yoo Yeon-suk! I still remember Na PD picked him as best brother-in-law material among all participants in his show. YYS must be some guy~

Thanks Fan, I love how he answer the question about best doctor and actor.
ヾ(。>﹏<。)ノ゙✧*。

Thank you for this. I'm glad the cast and writers'director were so prepared for the medical scenes in RTDK; it had a level of realism that I had never seen in medical dramas prior. I would be one to watch a second season--or third--or fourth. And YYS is exactly the type of "needed actor by the viewers." I have all respect for him and look forward to his next project!

Thank you for the translation of his interview ?❤

eeeee thank you so much for these trans! you make me want to go back to other open threads just to see if you have anymore translations hhahaha

Lee Ji-hoon (29) who played Lee Min-ho's step brother Heo Chi-hyun in 'Legend of Blue sea' had an interview. [Star News]
He felt embarrassed about the comment he had his presence known in the show. "I am glad and happy to hear that I had screen presence in the show. I asked for help from PD-nim and did lots of thoughts about the part I was lacking in acting. More than burden I felt by playing an evil role, I feel my responsibility is increased on my next project."

He praised the chemistry among actors. "The set atmosphere was very good. I thought Jun Ji-hyun noona and Lee Min-ho hyung were hard to approach being Hallyu stars, but I was wrong. They were down-to-earth and laughed a lot and playful. I played jokes on them prepared to get scolded, but they told me I was like vitamin. I felt good because they said they laughed a lot when they filmed with me."

He has ChaDoNam(cold city man) image, but he said he was not like that. "Actually my personality is friendly and talkative. Especially I play cute to my male friends. At home, I am a son like a daughter. I can say it is the best condition living as an actor." He debuted in 'school 2013' in 2012, and played in 'You are the best,Lee Soon-shin', 'Golden rainbow','Blood', 'Six flying dragons', 'Goho's night', 'Legend of blue sea', and 'Mirror of the witch'. "After I got out of army duty, I worked part time in a cafe in Yeoeuido. I worked on my dream taking KBS tour. And by accident I did audition for 'School 2013', and PD-nim told me I smell Jjannae (image of being pitiful, having hard-life, like Han Ye-ri character from AoY). That was when I stepped in the acting world and it has been already 5 years. I have special relationship with Yeom Jung-ah(Hong Joo in Mirror) sunbae and Kim Sang-joong(Amogae in Rebels) sunbae. Ever since finishing the Mirror I visits Jung-ah noona at home, or eat meal with Kim sunbae once a month. And I still keep in touch with SFD team and exchange pictures."

Lee said SFD where he played the minister Heo Gang made him grow the most acting-wise. "Shooting Six Flying Dragons, There was a lot to learn in acting. There are times I feel intimidated while shooting, and one time I realized I can't keep acting if I keep feeling intimidated at such moment. I thought I had to think and prepare more to be able to keep acting. And because we had actors in similar age, many fun things happened. One day I went to eat meal with (Byun) Yo-han hyung and (Yoo) Ah-in hyung, and I sat with my beard on because I still had make-up on, and elders thought I was similar age of Jun Gook-hwan(played general Choi Young) sunbad-nim. Elders told me "You got old. We enjoy watching TV." so we all laughed out loud."

Lee had many bromance line in shows, and he said he wanted to challenge a romance role next. He showed bromance with Yi Yi-kyung(Wow King of masked singer!!) in 'School 2013', Jo Jung-suk in 'You are the best YSS', and Yoo Ah-in in SFD.
And he picked Song Yoon-ah(K2) as actress he wanted to work with. "Could I expect a romance genre as my next project? Regardless of my intentions I played bromance situation many times. The actress who I want to act with is Song Yoon-ah sunbae. I happened to see Song sunbae laughing on the street, and she looked just like an angel. I think it will be honor if I can act with her."

He said his life had changed after 5 years of acting. "The biggest difference is that I became very busy and the interest and concern from my company increased. I make more money now, and fans who were high school students when I debuted contacted me saying they got a job. I feel something when they do that, and I feel proud when I give money I made to my parents."
The drama 'Legend of Blue sea' means new beginning for Lee Ji-hoon. He feels burdensome after the show, but ready to work harder. "I will work hard like a cow and try to meet you in the awards ceremony in 2017. I will do my best."

Somehow I can imagine he does aegyo to other boys. heh. Lee Ji-hoon fighting.

Love this guy. Deserving of all the accolades he receives.

Looking forward to seeing more from him.

Happy Friday!!

Was wondering if anyone followed Taiwanese dramas?!?

I randomly decided to watch The King of Romance and I love it soo freaking much. It has 8 episodes out now (which I thought was fine) but I caught up so quickly and now I have to wait for the slow 1 episode a week update.

It stars Lego Li - who I first watched in In a Good Way (which I also love!). I've seen a lot of Taiwanese dramas - but haven't been as enthralled by the recent ones. Anyone have a recent (like in the last year or so) Taiwanese drama to recommend?

Also, after watching Oh My Ghostess, I thought Cho Jung-Seok looked very similar to Lego Li! Does anyone else see it??

Yes, I agree that the "fantasy aspect" is not necessary at all. I like that it's there, (mainly because I like the costumes for the before/after commercial breaks, ha) but I don't think it needs to brought up anymore then it has. I don't actually need to see them being their past selves or anything.

I started "Behind your Smile" back when the series description was completely wrong and I haven't forgiven the show enough to start it again haha. When I first started it, it said the male lead was cursed to immortality and his life was meaningless but then he meets the main female lead and his outlook changes... or something like that. All I know is I was getting very different vibes watching the series.

I am watching Behind Your Smile, too! I love it. It is a T-Drama but I don't feel that the pace is too slow and the OTP have good chemistry. Like any drama sometimes it feels like they are beating the viewer over the head with the on going themes of revenge, redemption, love, duplicity etc but I can honestly say most episodes I am a bit surprised with the characters actions....this is the hook of the show, because even as the female lead is falling in love and unraveling the enigma of the man she is in love with, he is also changing due to their relationship but there are so many moments where you just don't know if he is plotting or actually means what he is saying.

Yes, I don't think I've ever seen a synopsis be so totally wrong ever before.

My issue with the T-Dramas is they are way too long for the story they want to tell, especially the Idol Dramas. Even for dramas with good set-ups, they just go on and on. K-Dramas do this as well but T-Dramas are worse.

Having said that there are good ones out there old and new...MARS, Devil by My Side, Autumn's Concerto (though still too long), and I'm giving Behind Your Smile a go and since it's the same guy, I think it's called Back to Seventeen or something like that...sorry can't remember the title but it looks good.

OO I've seen Fated to Love you, Office Girls and Just you.

Down with Love is one of my favorites!! I loved the child actors so much.

Thanks for the other recs!

Happy watching!

I recently discovered Autumn's Concerto and it is such a good rainy day drama. It just makes you want to curl up on the sofa with a cup of coffee and get immersed.

Marry Me or Not is Office Girls older sister. It's well-written and mature. Even through the main couples antics, you still feel like you're watching adults evolve into a real relationship. Tons of fun.

Recommending:

Murphy's Law of Love is really a good watch first time around. It's really cute and a bit refreshing but watch it from arms length. It's easy to see the flaws in the characters' logic in this one.

Drunken to Love You is a Rainie Yang drama that's really cute. It's a contract drama (which I adore) that moves rather briskly.

Happy 300 Days and Love Myself or You are really cute. Both are nice, simple dramas without a lot of twists and turns. I'd consider them palate-cleansers. They're what you want to watch right after something that's emotionally draining but need something to tie you over until the next more interesting drama comes along.

Thanks for the recs!! I have't seen Drunken to love you or Happy 300 days so I will definitely check them out! I do like a good contract drama!

Mars is such a relief for the SLS pain of hana yori dango..

In all versions i keep falling for hanazawa rui..
so this was such a bliss to find vick and Marbie together.. and well end up together in real life as well..

It is amazing.. well casted, well acted..

Did anyone watch the Japanese Mars? How is that?

I ended up loving the original so much, I haven't tried the Japanese version. What I'm reading is most (almost all actually) consider the T-Drama much better though the female character in the J-drama is much closer to how she is in the manga.

I haven't been all that impressed with Taiwanese Dramas recently, but I believe "In a Good Way" and "Marry Me or Not" set the bar fairly high, and there have been few shows that have come even close to those standards.

But...I am watching King of Romance and Behind Your Smile. Mainly because right now there's a bunch of really suspenseful Korean dramas (Defendant, Missing 9, The Voice) and I need some lighter faire.

Hmmm I think I've heard of Marry Me or Not! I will check it out - thanks!

I agree with the recent theme of Korean dramas. I usually enjoy them but not recently... I think I like my suspense dramas with more romance and less amnesia lol. I haven't started any of the recent k dramas except Tomorrow with You and Introverted Boss (which I dropped)

Funny that all actors go to awards shows want best couple awards

I am currently going through a k-drama drought, for some reason, I have not been able to watch anything new past Kim Bok Joo diligently. I started a couple of things and dropped them for some weird reason. Word of advice needed from fellow beanies, do I start Defendent, Chief Kim and Tomorrow With You right away or should I wait a bit and binge watch later.
Oh, and the only thing I watched recently was, the first from the 3 color fantasy series from MBC.
I was skeptical but my instagram got flooded with the short videos of episodes so I gave in. Had no idea and I loved the first one. "The Star of the Universe" was a good short drama. Nothing to dramatic, too experimental but I felt really happy and sad but was overall very very satisfied with this one. I didn't expect much from Suho but he was good, may not be the greatest but he did very very well. Is this his first time on a drama as a lead?? I am impressed. But the main star was Ji Woo, the girl's apparently 19 and she is so good with emoting, dialogues and her skills. I am in awe, I cried buckets and smiled at the same time thanks to her. I hope to see her in more dramas. I don't know, lesser known faces get ignored so much in casting but I do hope this girl gets he due because she is insanely talented. I do hope and really pray to see her headlining her own drama soon in any network whatsoever.

Drama drought for me too! I had thought Introverted Boss looked good going into it, but didn't like it from the first episode. The only things I'm watching are Behind Your Smile and Golden Pouch, but Golden Pouch has been taking a hiatus for like two whole weeks! Father, I'll Take Care of You has a few nice plot threads, but most of it is shrill, and there are only two eps. a week. Sigh.

Anything coming out soon that looks good?

I think Introverted Boss did some "introspection" based on viewer feedback and sliding ratings. It's going to be tough for me to give it a second chance though. The female lead really turned me off big time and I find it difficult to believe that she would change that dramatically.

Hello guys! Been waiting so eagerly for this thread, haha. I have done watching Shopping King Louie, and I am so proud to say that I am a certified and deeply in love with Seo Inguk! And currently in the middle of watching High School King of Savvy, and good Lord I am even fallen more deeper!
Seo Inguk really is so good, and I am saying this even when I'm only watching his two dramas so far. I am totally fangirling with my friend right now, and I have been doing non stop research about him on the news and youtube for the past week. Thank you Beanies for giving such a true reviews about this such talented guy and what a sad year to be his fan. He is going to the military right?
Shopping King Louie is such a fluffy and fun drama, and I am loving this puppy Louie so much. Oh how could a man acts so adorable and incredibly romantic chaebol like that? Must have been my first experience to encounter such awesome character in Korean dramas, plus his chemistry with the main lady; oh indeed felt so natural that I ended up loving every of their moments in this drama. Plus those old golden hits songs, what a pleasant surprise!
High School King of Savvy hit off the mark for me! He act so confidently and convincingly as the 18 years old high school boy, and this is the perfect romcom drama after such a long time for me! How could I only know about this now? The OSTs, the supporting casts, the adorable and quirky OTP, oh I could go on for more and more. Lee Min Suk is my all time male lead character in dramaland; he has such awesome personalities! I love Min Suk when he is angry, when he is jealous and totally love him when he is being protective and romantic! Seo Inguk was 27 years old when he played this role right? Ah what an amazing actor, whom could blend to become perfectly fit for the character he played, and what I love even more is that he even add so much details into his roles, and I could totally see that in Louie.
Sorry for my long rants, but this guy is even more awesome to watch off the screen(somehow he has this humble and warm personality with him, which my friend totally agreed with me haha). I wish for more brighter future for him, because i truly feel that he also deserved to be like those big Hallyu stars. Haha guys did The Kings Face did okay? I mean whether it is worth to be watch because I am planning to watch all his dramas this year haha. :)

u may try to watch Answer Me 1997/Reply 1997 as that drama was the one that make Seo Inguk gained fans through his good performance despite being a rookie actor at that time. other is Squad 38/ Police Unit 38, his charisma in that show made me fall more him. goodluck for marathoning Seo Inguk's dramas. ?

Thanks for the recommendation! Been planning to watch it right after I finish with High School King of Savvy, :)

Agree! If I'm not wrong Answer Me 1997 is the drama that gave him a breakthrough in his acting career. I first saw him through that drama, fell in love quickly, and then after that breakthrough he never disappointed me later with all his drama choices. I keep falling deeper and deeper for him in his every dramas.

Me too! Me too! ???

If i remember it right, weren't you the one who asked for recommendations on SIG's work and feedback on the actor.. adn ofcourse were flooded with posts of priases :)

Glad you ended up "enjoying" his work

Haha yes that was me! ?

I love it! BoxFile, I hope you gave a deep bow of apology to your friend who was trying so hard to convince you of the SIG awesomeness! She must be so happy to have you with her on his love train now ❤ He's the best.

Yes totally hahaha. He is indeed awesome and I just couldnt believe he is already 30 years old. Are korean actors always looked that young? He is such a dreamy guy though, ???

Hahaha you're welcome :-) . But I insist, go for I Remember You next; cool Seo In-guk will finish you off ;-)

Yes totally! I dont know though, I have been planning to watch Reply 1997 before I go to I Remember You, but I might change that later haha(since you mentioned that drama show the cooler side of his). Oh I forgot to mentioned this earlier in my post, but Seo Inguk face really changed when he changed his hairstyles though, and he looked so good in suits! ?

Doesn't he? . I am trying very hard to be able to watch Reply 1997, but it is "not available in my region" (surprise), and download versions are all kinds of messy. Eventually, sigh... in any case, from the little I have been able to see, I think it will be a nice look at his beginnings, but the contrast will be more striking with IRY. Then again, you may be able to make your own decision by the end of Savvy :-p

Yes indeed he is! Seo Inguk in suits is such a treat to my eyes! And it is so refreshing to see an idol, having such a normal body to boot! Normally they seemed skinny, but never thought it would be such an exciting experience indeed watching him with such meaty body. Drooling.....?

Oooh I never check OT nowadays cuz Seo In Guk is so out of news but I am glad I did! I am always happy to welcome a new fellow SIG fangirl :P
When you are done with watching all his shows and variety appearances (Mari & me specially), go to random recap threads of any of his shows on Dramabeans (I Remember You, 38 Task Force, and Shopping King Louis recently, and King of High School and Answer Me 1997 from the old ones). You will find tomes of praises written on his acting ability, his looks, his sexiness, his cuteness, his singing talent, his goofiness in real life etcetera etcetera... Makes for a good read (and a good write as I remember contributing many comments :P)

??? oh that is so true! At first his looks didnt get to me, but once I have seen his acting, he really is natural though. But by the way why there is always a comments that say he is underrated? Is that means in terms of his looks, his popularity or his talents though? Anyway me too! I am happy to meet another fellow Seo Inguk fangirls other than my friend, haha.

Seo InGuk is ??. There's no going back now. You're basically trapped. I've ran out of words to praise him....he is just ????

Me too! I am the same too! Run out of words on how to describe my feelings about him, hahaha. ???

Underrated because even though he is popular, he is not as popular as he should be (basically it is what we fangirls believe- fangirls of other actors might have a different opinion)

Basically, to me, his acting skills are brilliant and he is sexy as hell, and even though it is accepted in Korea, he still is not considered one of the top leading actors. All this might change once he comes back from the army hopefully.

Ouh is that so? But he has been in quite a lot dramas as the leading man right? I truthfully felt that his different looks is what gives his roles so much distinction, compared to other actors, ?. Given his young face, he could play a highschooler so effortlessly good but then, his looks can become mature and sexy as hell when he want to, just like he did in High School King of Savvy! He just keep taking my breath away, haha!

"At first his looks didnt get to me, but once I have seen his acting, he really is natural though."

Hahaha, told you so :-p ; if you remember, last week I said that given to choose between Lee Min-ho and Seo In-guk, I had no doubt, and you would see what I meant when you saw him act. So, see? :-)

Yes I totally see and understand what you meant @Delurker! He is love...???

I first saw him in Master's Sun where I thought he was OK. Shopping King Louie turned that OK into he's awesome!

Me too! Me at first thought he was just okay, but now he's undeniably and so irresistably charming! Lets not forget his singing skills though! I fall even more deeper...?

I am so glad you like him this much! what comes to The Kings´ Face, I found it enjoyable, Ingukkie is putting all his heart into the role. what I liked was for a first time in a sageuk for me the court officials were relatively quiet. in some sageuks there is all this "Please reconsider! Chona, chona! bla bla bla!!!" that it turns me off. There was more thinking and doing and less court noise here. it might not be that super-high-stake, bite-your-nails exiting, but it is better than the general opinion of it.

If you watch I Remember You right after SKL & HSK, you will be floored by the polar opposite Hyun - mature and seemingly cold-hearted, but in reality with a generous and open heart. and he cooks and cleans - are you sure you´ll be able to handle it?

oh, and do watch the pet show "Mari and I".

Yes yes I will! Seo Inguk dramas, variety shows and songs has become one of top priorities in my life now(I sound like a delusional fangirl am I?) Haha ?

BOXFILE!!! I wish I could show you how my face was while reading your comment! I had to cover my mouth to stop the squeals of excitement and happiness from getting too loud ( coz my poor mother in the other room is under the illusion that I’m studying diligently and not wasting my time browsing Kdrama websites)

I am so pleased that you’ve decided to join us on the Seo In Guk train. And even MORE pleased that you adore King of High School Savvy - our unconventional but endearing OTP, the EXCELLENT supporting cast, and what you’ve said about Lee Min Suk being your all time favourite male lead in dramaland - That’s exactly how I feel too!!!❤
And off-screen too SIG has this genuine, down-to-earth personality - which is another reason I adore him to bits! ? You are lucky though. You have a friend in ‘flesh and blood’ to join you in all the squeeing.
Reading your thoughts on SIG and KoHS - I feel that we have the potential to be dramabeans bffs ?

Enjoy discovering more of our In Guk ssi!

Hahaha yes High School King of Savvy was the one that made me fall for him. What a pleasant experience to doscover that there is such a warm and heartfelt Korean drama like this, and I totally loved it when Seo Inguk doesnt lose up his character, well up to the current episode that I am watching at the moment. And oh! Oh the kissing scene! That cast kiss scene! I rewind it everytime, and I still get hot and lots of butterflies eveytime! ??? Now I know, that he truly deserved that Master of Kissing title. It gives me so much feels!

‘Warm and heartfelt’ - that’s exactly what that drama was. Lots of depth and sincerity.

Also now you’ve got me all excited about that Cast kiss.
*Off to find it and rewatch.*

I have lost count on how many times i rewind that cast scene, haha!

?

Hi, all! I'm late to the drama game. I started watching about 5 years but have watched so enthusiastically and become such an ambassador that I decided to write a Kdrama-inspired play for an actual theater. Can you believe that? I'm also in talks to lead a class around kdramas in the context of Asian American studies and am compiling a possible booklist. Anyone have any leads on books and resources? Of course, on my radar already is the Dramabeans' Why Do They Do That? book and The Birth of Korean Cool. Links to books, sites, academic studies, or even pop culture to provide context would be much appreciated.

I don't know about suggestions for the booklist, but you might look into contacting the "Pop Culture and Philosophy" people. They do books about philosophy... and pop culture. I haven't seen a K-drama one yet, you could help make it! And they might have some good resources for you too. ^^ Sorry I wasn't more help!

Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't know about this.

Also, Re Jane by Patricia Park.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will check this out.

It won't let me post the blog link. The blog is called Professor A.K.I.A. Talking.

Hi. You can learn about other blogs who cover Kdrama on this guy's site. He is Korean and you can contact him on Twitter. Just FY, the guy is very humorous and open about making fun of dramas. He tweeted to me that Goblin is one very un-Korean folklore character, and even explained why.

Hi, please take note from the commenting policy.

Links and moderation. If your comment got held for moderation or didn’t show up, there may be a few reasons. Most likely it got stuck in the spam filter, either because it contained links or because the spam filter got aggressive that day and did it by mistake. We’ll fish those out of moderation and approve them. Please don’t try to outsmart the spam filter and post the same comment ten times, because then we have to deal with ten comments in moderation instead of just one.

Thanks!

Recommendation(s) Request:

Hi Everyone,

1) Easy fluffy dramas. I finished watching Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Jo and the feels are still very real. Does anyone know of any more simple, straightforward, almost sugary sweet dramas to follow up with? I'm a huge fan of 9 Innings, 2 Outs.

2) Remake suggestions. 2017 marks the 10th anniversary of Coffee Prince, of which, I'm a huge fan. It got me to thinking what would a remake of this classic look like. Thailand seems to be in business of making some really good Korean drama remakes (Full House, Kiss Me (Thai version of Playful Kiss). Could anyone suggest any Korean remakes? I recently finished 1% of Something and it was okay. REALLY COULD NOT make it through Fated to Love You and The Time We Were Not in Love.

3) Repeat pairings. I'm a long time K-drama fan and plan to remain so but I have started watching dramas from other Asian countries. One difference I've noticed is that in Taiwanese and Thai dramas there's a lot more re-pairing of actors and actresses. Could anyone suggest some repeat OTPs in K-dramas? The only couple that readily comes to mind is Park Shin-Hye and Jung Yong Hwa but even they would get an asterisk. (They were OTP in Heartstrings but not in You're Beautiful.)

Please and thank you for your thoughts.

I think
1% of anything 2017 version is about the sugary feelings.

1) have u try Marriage not Dating ? hahaa if u talk about fluffy that's the only show comes in my mind.

3) repeat OTPs of Kdramas that come to my mind at this moment is Ji Sung and Hwang Jungeum from Secret Love and Kill Me, Heal Me. and Hwang Jungeum got to pair with Park Seojoon in She Was Pretty (same case as Yonghwa & Park Shinhye). other is Eric & Jung Yumi (Que Sera Sera, Discovery of Love). Lee Dongwook & Lee Dahae (My Girl, Hotel King). Lee Junki & Nam Sangmi (Time Between Dog & Wolf, Joseon Gunman)

jhang nara and jhang hyuk

I recommend Marriage Not Dating too for fluffy funny feels drama.

Also Another Oh Hae Young <3 <3

I you watched the 1% of Anything remake, then yeah, that's all I got for K-Dramas. Love O2O aka Just One Smile is Very Alluring is a C-Drama but relatively light and enjoyable.

Funny, I found 2 Outs 9 Innings more pensive than fluffy; not sure what you have seen already, but going down the recaps list, these are the ones I liked especially, and fit the angst-free rom-com category:

- Beautiful Gong Shim
- Best Love
- Bring it on, Ghost
- Drinking Solo
- Hogu's Love
- Splish Splash Love
- SungKyunkwang Scandal

Easy fluffy dramas.

Oh, Marriage, Not Dating is a great one - it is HILARIOUS & still manages to have depth. Plus, the lead couple plays beautifully off one another. I can't recommend it enough. :)

A much more shallow fluffy drama is "Panda and Hedgehog", which is about bakeries and birth secrets. Very sweet and predictable (but cute.)

Cantabile Tomorrow was both cute and fluffy, and a remake. I liked the original better*, but the remake was cute.

*Nodame Cantabile was my gateway drug. Watched the anime. Then the live action. Never looked back. So much love!

Happy Friday everyone!! Its been a really long week. I am so behind on my drama watching and feel out of it, trying to find a drama that will get me hooked, but feel I already watched all the cracktastic ones already. Look forward to reading people's recommendations.

My question to fellow Beenies is: Has anyone gone out with a guy that actually likes to do what we consider tropes in dramas? Mine is neither Korean or interested in Korean drama, but just the other day he wanted to put me in a shopping trolly and push me as we shopped....there is the matching colours/clothes request as well, one I was especially suprised by was heilding my eyes while I slept cause of the light. Terribly cute, but some of it is oh so not me :-D

A follow up question is, especially for those with partners, does your passion for Korean dram's wane as you develop a romance of your own?

speaking of shopping trolleys I just saw a couple going home like that along the street. their dog was sitting on the bag department

To answer your follow up question. I didn't even know about Korean dramas until last year, after being married for 13+years. And it was my husband that introduced me to them. He was browsing Netflix and Hulu when he found a couple. We binged watched one and both of us were hooked. We're both Asian, but not Korean, and grew up with badly subbed, bootlegged Chinese dramas into our native language. I vowed never to watch these when I had kids, as I saw them akin to low level torture as a child. I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of dramas now, especially Korean. We still watch a Chinese drama now and then as well. So, long answer to a short question, my love for them has increased since having a true "romance." My husband and I joke that our relationship follows all the Korean drama tropes, except for the amnesia trope--at least not yet! (And I've had a piggy back ride or two, match when we go to fundraisers, couples costumes, etc.) We have compelling careers too--both of us served in the military and are physicians. We were not "lovers at first sight," had other romantic interests when we met in the military, had very demanding lives, but still managed to fall in love and stay in love after all these years and two kids later. Maybe when I retire, I'll write a screenplay of our life and it'll get produced as a Korean drama! I've definitely learned a lot from Dramabeans and the comments here about what makes a good drama vs a bad one!

Just curious: which kdrama was it that got you both hooked?

This is my love, Eun Dong. It was just incredibly sweet how he waited for her. I fell for the little boy too. Something about little Asian boys makes my heart swell. I'm glad I have one myself. :)

Our displays of affection also definitely went up after watching Korean dramas together. Case and point: my husband sent me flowers this past week which is not so surprising. What made is memorable was that he asked the florist to incorporate buckwheat flowers into the arrangement and as anyone who has watched the first episode if Goblin knows, they represent "lovers" which is all he wrote in the card: LOVERS. So sweet and romantic. ( I later found out that he had to call 5 florists to do this and it took the last one a week to find buckwheat flowers!) So, with the right guy, your kdramas addiction may, in fact, become stronger!

Sorry for the typos! I typed this on the phone, waiting for my kids in car line. #lifeofakdramamom

Omg, SO~ ROMANTIC~~~!! So many brownie points for your husband for being so sweet and a genius for incorporating your (guys'?) love for Goblin! Niiiiiiccceeee!

His journey to find the buckwheat flowers reminds me of the actual story of the crew of Goblin having to find items that weren't in season. Turns out the famous bouquet of buckwheat flowers were from this one crew member, whose mom actually grew in her own garden and that crew member brought it on set for them to use for the scenes.

Gah, I hope I find a nice guy that'll get me memorabilia from my fav kdramas, hahaha!