Open Thread #486

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

The OT comes up later than usual now a days.
TRIP TO KOREA
Wasn't someone here mentioned visiting south korea during end of 2016? I wonder how did the trip turn out.

Has anyone tried korean beauty products? are they really much more effective than let's say regular big brands? Any to suggest? face products work best ;)

PSYCHOLOGY OF STARDOM
Q: Do these celebrities mature more quickly? I think back to when I was 19/20 and then these idols or even young actors like suzy.. they are so much more mature amidst this insane stardom... and i couldn't manage attention of morning roll calls..

Q: How taxing is it emotionally.. like doing these close scenes with every other actor.. everyone is prettier than the next person in line...i wonder how parents and families deal with it.
When do [Read more]

I think We Married as a job has a specific theme that work best but can feel normal/usual too.
So I think it worth to check more since the magnet is how the relationship developed and how marriage is told in bussiness perspective, is marriage as a job worthed for normal people?

I think you may like
Suddenly we getting married - Jdrama, it just starts.

I agree, I also suggest watching more of We Married as a Job. It turned out to be an unexpectedly feminist show, dealing with various issues: being a single mother, a driven career woman, an unemployed and seemingly unwanted/unnecessary woman. It touches upon self-worth and relationship growth, too.

Oh I also want to note that many bizarre and quote is a parody from popular show.
It hilarious when you familiar with the other show but also quite confusing.

Sorry for riding all ur comments beanies!

I just want JB can read my comment or any of u who can answer:

why OT didn't have music attached to it anymore ??

ok now i remember, now all recaps doesn't have any single music attached anymore, last time still have. I know for now the expanded bean-army, will be tough to pick a song for every recaps, but JB, can u keep the tradition music just for OT? I miss listening to ur indie/catchy song and very nice at 2am reading thru OT with ur choice of music. nice friday nite :))

Ya.. i got the sense they were addressing the age old economics question of how true gdp is not measured because house work is not accounted for..

and in general the plight of being a house wife.. just didn't captivate me from romance/drama perspective..

Guess need to be in a certain mindframe to watch it

There is also the big self worth problem of the guy. He doesn't even think it to be possible that someone might love him. I found it to be a rather interesting take. It was difficult for him to admit it to himself. I guess there are a lot of people like him.

Cheese in the Trap manwha is not finished yet. Writer was supposed to end it at 50 episodes for the fourth season but I think she's milking the fame from the show. It's now at 70 episodes and counting.

Re: Lee Je-hoon, since I'm currently watching Signal and my impression is still fresh. At first I didn't really like him, thought he's too intense and prone to overact, but eventually he grew on me. He has this certain charm (and good looks!) that slowly lured me in. I think he's done quite well in movies, so maybe this fuels the hype, too.

Lee Je-hoon's looks sure made sit for 2 hrs of Tomorrow Without You.

By the way, did he fixed his nose after Signal?

Lee Je-hoon takes criticisms like a pro. Instead of defending himself, he makes improvement. There is always room for improvement even with veteran actors.

Hope he is doing well in his new drama.

He’s doing well in the drama.

Overact in signal? His expression was actually monotonous in Signal. He wore the frustated look the whole drama.

Well there are only few k actors who can actually show emotions vividly. At least Lee Je Joon was not expressionless like many of them.

I didn't think he was goodlooking at all but he grew on me too. And for some reason I'm finding him very attractive in Tomorrow with You.

Me too! I don't know what it is about him in Tomorrow with you , but I find him super attractive!

Lee Je-hoon was good in Signal, but I wasn't attracted to him or could picture him as a romantic lead. TWY is outstanding and has changed my mind. I'm loving Lee Je Hoon's character and the chemistry with Shin Min Ah.

I am currently watching two new Japanese drama from manga, Totsuzen Desu ga, Ashita Kekkon Shimasu and Tokyo Tarareba Musume. And also another new Japanese drama: A life, Itoshiki Hito. Those drama are still ongoing, so I can't comment on the ending and overall story.

Thanks for the suggestion. Started tosuzen.. and absolutely love it.. i love the two leads.. and the story..

for a change actress has a good dressing sense..and those specs.. super ute..

I haven't been able to find tokyo's episodes.w here youw atching?

Lee Je Hoon is one of my favorite actors along with YAI, CJH, PHS. I think he's very talented and adds a level to intensity to his roles and characters that others find overacting but I find pulls me in and has me really feel for and further connect to his character.

I'm loving him along with Shin Min Ah in Tomorrow With You, which after only two episodes is my drama crack (I have a thing for this kinds of melancholy, but still has a sprinkle of happiness and life lessons, sort of slow moving, not really this or that dramas i.e. 'Dear My Friends'

I fell for Je Hoon in his breakout role in Bleak Night (all three actors in that are so so talented and each character and the story will break you in a different way) and I have never looked back. I think he does better in movies than dram [Read more]

He shines a lot in movies, I started to find out more about him after Secret Door although couldn't finished this drama until the end. I am glad that he does not stay away from drama.

I dont know, but he is so charming and talented. Together with Shin Minah, they both look like a painting on the wall.

I love that imagery of yours - ‘Together they both look like a painting on the wall’
So true. Both are incredibly cute.

On Lee Je-Hoon, I really like him not just for his acting, but because he seems like such a genuine guy in real life. I've read a few of his interviews and I'm always impressed. But I like his acting too--it doesn't feel forced to me here at all. I agree he was a bit too intense at the beginning of Signal, but that was also a conscious choice on his part according to an interview, and when viewer response wasn't so great he changed gears.

There are other things, he was incredibly praised for his role in Bleak Night, which I've never seen but I'd like to.

LJH is one of the only k-actors whose interviews I always search translations for. Dude just loves acting and telling stories so much, and it's so apparent in the way he speaks and conducts himself. It's refreshing compared to all the idols that are forced into it by their agencies or the ones that feel like they're just in it to bring home the bucks.

Right? And then I laugh every time he talks about how he isn't funny, or that people might think it's boring that he loves to watch movies for the acting etc. because I think it's totally interesting! He just seems like such a natural, real guy who loves to act. I'd love to get to know him in real life.

Daebak..Today is my day in OT! First SIG and now Lee Je Hoon! I’m pleased to see all the Lee Je Hoon love you guys.. (*Getting all misty- eyed)
He may not be as versatile as SIG or Jo Jung Suk in dramas (comparing him to the lead actors of his current PD’s previous works), but he certainly has a charm of his own. And I agree with everyone here who talked about his personality. His interviews are what impressed me more and that’s how I started fangirling him. @Cozybooks - real. Ya that’s the word. No pretensions and just so earnest. It’s such a rare quality to find in celebrities ( and in people in general!), so it makes him incredibly attractive in my eyes. And there was this instagram video of him helping a mum carry her pram up the stairs of Seoul train station. 😍 Ergo my c [Read more]

I really love his personality too. I enjoy watching his interviews. He seem nice, playfully, shy, caring, and also really genuine. He cares a lot for his craft and tries his best to always learn more as an actor and grow. He's also really funny and respectful and just cuddly bunny imho.

Hi EZ!

Considering the questions you've posed, I think you might like "The Birth of Korean Cool: How One Nation is Conquering the World through Pop Culture" by Euny Hong.

Chapter titles include: Before Cool, The Birth of Irony, Kimchi and the Cabbage Inferiority Complex, When Korea Banned Rock 'n' Roll, and K-Drama: Television and the Origins of Hallyu
etc.

It is entertaining, informative, and fun!

I think @May in comment 12 would like this too! (I'm definitely interested). Thanks, Owl!

For a good Japanese romance drama that's not too wacky, i suggest Love Shuffle (2009) and Dear Sister (2014). Actually i watched many j-dramas in the last couple of years, but somehow only these two i can think of right now...

I still read CitT, the english translation on Line Webtoon is still on season 3, but so far i think the drama had indeed stayed true to the webtoon (well except maybe for the latter episodes).

Hey EZ! You should check out sokoglam.com to learn more about Korean skincare! I've been lurking the site for awhile, but haven't gathered enough money to purchase a bunch of the Korean skincare products on the site that I've been dying to try. It's not that they're THAT expensive, it's just I wanna get into the 10-Steps Korean Skincare Routine/Regimen (I know, 10!), so I'm trying to make sure I can afford to splurge on at least the essentials of the 10-Steps, haha. I hear it really does work and it's a lot of good stuff for your face and body, haha. Charlotte, the founder, writes a lot of detailed explanations about the benefits of the 10-Steps, so you can read into that, too. The site is easy to navigate and most, if not all of the products have easy-to-follow instructions on how to use [Read more]

Hi,

It is such a great site..

really thank u

Hapi Mari is josei manga and that genre tend to be less wacky nor slapstick (Nodame is the exception). Other less slapstick manga adaptation are 5 Ji Kara 9 Ji Made, Oishii Kankei, Real Clothes, Koizora, and many more (the first one manga hasn't complete yet).

The last complete shojo manga I've read is Last Game by Amano Shinobu, it's so cute. Many said it's similar with Special A, but I like Last Game more.
Faster Than a Kiss is good too, even with a teacher marry his student premise, it's not that dari and cute.

I'm following Horimiya and eventhough many complaint that the story lead to nowhere, I don't mind it. Yes, I drop a lot of shonen manga as the story keep dragging to nowhere (it's including One Piece, Terraformars), but I like the slice of life side of Horimiya. It's like [Read more]

Hi everyone,Its weird before they started I planned to watch Saimdang and Missing 9 on WED-THURS but for some reason I didn’t watch them,today out of nowhere I decided to watch chief Kim and I like it lol its just so funny and weird.First time seeing NamGoong Min as a non villainous character and he just nails it what a funny watch am on episode 3 now am gonna binge watch it and then suffer the wait…lol

Well you didn't really miss out, even though I'm not watching "Chief Kim", but I dropped both "Missing 9" and "Saimdang". I dropped "Missing 9" because it was ridiculous, and "Saimdang" because it was too boring.

I think Saimdang got better this week. I watch all three and enjoyed them all, even though I also watch Cheif Kim first.

Agree. I love both Lee Young Ae and Yang Se Jong that I reluctant to say this is a boring drama.

There are times you are willing to watch the shows mostly because of the casts. But overall I dont think this is totally bad production, at least for me. Although honestly, i always chose to watch Chief Kim first for Wed-Thursday slot.

You know it's my first time commenting . I absolutely love both of them. Chief Kim is fricking hilarious and NGM is hitting it out of the park. I don't know who has written it but it is very refreshing for an office drama. Saimdang got a lot of flack and I am sort of scratching my head. I think it is beautifully shot people say it looks dated, its colours are definitely muted but it doesn't look old to me, maybe it's my age , I think for the moment the plot is interesting and even SSH is doing a better than a handtowel job ( I must say I did have a giggle when i saw the comments, he does tends to be a one tune pony). So thumbs up. I do so enjoy reading all your beaners' comments, your passion is so forthright I love it.

Saimdang is not boring. I like how the writer paralleled the story of lee young as future and past self. It was very creative of the writer to create a fusion saeguk that involves art and how the director portrayed the past scene and future is harmonious. Pls do not judge a drama like that just because it does not match your cup of tea.

One of the reasons why I keep watching k drama is because I love to discover how the plot and cinematography flow in a drama. It make me wonder why did they show the scene such way. How will the plot serve the story. Because I have to admit that these days this industry are getting crazier.

I don't think that I will ever be bored watching dramas. Haha.

i guess i will give Saimdang a chance once it ends.

Agree. I like Saimdang a lot so far and I esp. like the slow pace. It's beautifully shot and Mr. Hand Towel acts uncringeworthy. Yes, he already 'acted' in his Chinese movie and he repeated it here again. Color me surprised.

Just read, that they think of re-editing it, because it's not leading the ratings. They already messed up Moon Lovers so let's use today's favorite words: Bad idea! Sad!

Chief Kim is my current K-drama character crush... lol. I love all this antics. Suddenly woke up at 2 am and could not go back to sleep. So, I ended up watching Chief Kim and hurting my stomach!

Hahahaha.....he is so funny and very unpredictable i laughed so hard at episode two ending *SPOILER ALERT* when he fell and ended up saving the lady ,i replayed the scene for like 10 times.

Will watch Le Je Hoon

Now I am a fan of:
Park Hyung Shik. Park Hae Jin. Junho 2PM.

I nearly had a spit take today when watching episode 6 this morning during breakfast. With Chief Kim, even when you know something is going to happen and anticipate it, the actual execution is just amazeballs and freakin hilarious.

I haven't started Chief Kim yet - but now I might up it on the list!! But I might also wait for it to finish... haha

Something I've noticed is that if I'm watching a drama that is currently airing, I tend to forget the nervous energy/excitement/happiness I feel by the time the next episode comes out. When that happens I push off watching it... which turns into I never finish watching the series. Coughcough this happened with Goblin coughcough. I remind myself to watch it but when I actually go to, it's like ehhhhh. I don't even remember what happened last time... I can keep pushing it off. I don't know if it's just me, or a reflection on the drama (maybe it's got a slow plotline or something).

In other cases I'll start a drama that is complete (just so I can binge watch it!) and then [Read more]

Totally and completely agree with you on the subject of 'continuing' a drama - binge watch or airing. My k-drama life.

Wait till it ends then and binge watch it, just dont skip it you wont regret watching it.

I like to binge watching!!
But I need coverage for that! bcs i will be MIA for 48/72 hours, even 4 days, anti social, order food, showerless, more snack, and laptop is my bestie.
SCARY HUH. DRAMALAND, ur spell is stronger then GOBLIN !!

Btw, I need help & suggestion Pleasee chaebal..
I want to watch these below list, but I scared it will be wasted :

I Remember You (SIG & JNR) or Police Unit 38?
I Remember You, Son of War
High School King of Savy
Good Wife... anyone watched? please rate!
Reply forgot.. (the 2 later series)
Moonlight by the Cloud (I super scared it will be just another cross dressing hijinx , I over it since To The Beautiful You :( they ruined my favourite JDORAMA ever Hanazakari no Kimitachie..

1. Police unit 38 - cons are always fun.. first 3-4 episodes are slow so be warned. I remember you, personally is an alright show.. i watched it after it completed airing, so that's a factor.. but strictly alright (the actors are all charming.. not an unpredictable storyline)

2. IRY is less frustrating when it comes to decisions and choices of the characters. Son of War is soo good but soo frustrating up until ep 19.. anything our hero does gets counterattacked brilliantly and Namgoong is such an amazing villain

3. Good wife was good.. despite watching it after following amercian series for 4 seasons at least (then got bored)..its a good enough adaptation. actors are all good. treatment is skillful.

4. Personally i am a big big big big fan of 1988- it is also my first reply series [Read more]

I personally really enjoyed I Remember You (with SIG)! It's got some mystery and romance. SIG's character reminds me of Sherlock Holmes in a way - so if you enjoy that theme it might be good for you!

I started but never finished Moonlight drawn by clouds... at some point I just got tired of the main female lead.

And hahaha I watched To The Beautiful You before realizing it was a remake of Hana Kimi. After watching Hana Kimi (Taiwan and Japanese versions) I agree that those are a lot better then the Korean version!

I can't really speak to the rest of the dramas you mentioned as I haven't watched them...

The female lead in MDbC was probably the weakest part of the show for me, but not enough for me to dislike the show. I actually quite liked it. This was my first Park Bo Gum show and it made me into an instant fan of his. He has quite an amazing range of emotions as an actor. I love the gender bender aspect of it in that it's somewhat close to Coffee Prince in how it treats the male character's coming to terms with who he loves. As far as Sageuk dramas go, I liked how the politics play out in this. It was quite different to the few others I watched. Lastly, I really liked the second male lead in this. He was pretty cool. I liked this show.

I Remember You (SIG & JNR) or Police Unit 38?

I Remember You was really good, especially if you ignored the ridiculous 'romance' plotline they tried to shoehorn in. The narrative is darkity-dark-dark (it's about child abuse, murder, serial killers, weird loyalties, etc), but there's a lot of sympathy for all the characters, even the evil ones (not to the point of excusing their actions, but in how it doesn't shy away from the fact that some of the root causes are nurture, not nature...and vice versa.)

I do both binge and watch airing dramas. The same thing happens with me re: losing interest as it airs. I think, for me anyway, it means the drama is not totally satisfying me at some level because some dramas I'm raring to go the minute I have time to watch. K-2 and Goblin are shows I didn't plan to drop but ended up dropping because I just lacked the interest to continue. If I'd waited until they completed their run, I might have continued watching but hit the fast forward button a bit.

Who knows, maybe someday I'll go finish them up.

I dropped Goblin and K-2 too!

I tend to be the same way when watching currently airing dramas. I had to binge watch Hwarang the other day just to catch up for the last four episodes. The same thing happened with Goblin. Thankfully both shows are enjoyable, especially in the case of Goblin which is longer, so it didn't seem tedious. If I'm not fully engaged in a show when I binge watch, I do the same and skip parts. Then there are shows that I love and binge watch in 2 days of less, or must keep up to date with and cannot wait for the tortuous week to roll around for just 35-60 minutes of enjoyment only to rinse and repeat.

Whoah! Longest sentence ever!

RE: MJUSIkurd's comment.

hahahah😂😂😂😂 i was in a hurry so that i can continue with my episode.

Happy Friday everyone!!!

By the way, does anyone know OST for "Solomon's Perjury"? Been looking for them anywhere but I could not find them... my favorite one is the song played by the end of final episode. Thanks!!!

Been looking for the SP OST for a while now too, but no luck. 😔

It seems like when a show airs on a smaller cable network like JTBC or OCN, the OST is less likely to be released. It's been months, and I still can't find the complete OST for Police Unit 38 either.

JTBC said that there wouldn't be any OST release, because music director just did arrangement and adaptation on songs and used them. I read in JTBC board.

Happy Friday! Even though I don't have a crack drama at the moment, I am happy with shows offered to us currently. And I can't wait for next episodes(7,8) of Defendant. Production team said even staffs were flabbergasted at shocking twists and it would surely give satisfaction to the viewers. PD also said Ji Sung was skipping meals to create believable image of death-row inmate. He is simply amazing.
Another thing is that I am sad there will be no more child Gildong. PD of Rebels said the show is especially popular among female viewers in their 20-30's, and they think that it is due to child Gildong actor Lee Ro-woon.heh. He is amazing when his acting experience includes only one show 'Everything will be ok' last year.

Anyway there were more interviews with casts of finished shows.
[Read more]

About Han Suk-kyu, Seo said, "On the set, everyone called Han Suk-kyu sunbae-nim Sabu-nim(teacher). He was Sabu-nim to me too, giving me lots of warm advice. When I looked dispirited, he tried to lift up my spirits. He said "How was your shooting yesterday?" or "What are you distressed about?" which made me feel at ease.

To play her character, Seo went through some serious preparation. "Because I played the character who had malnutrition, I went on diet. Even after diet, PD-nim said I had to lose more, so I lost 4kg more. I studied scripts long and hard enough that I don't think I slept more than 1 hour."

She is from Pusan and has Pusan accent (remember Reply 1997?)."I look I don't use saturi, but when I talk to my parents on the phone, my saturi comes out. When I use saturi, I fee [Read more]

Han Suk-kyu is Kim Sabu through and through. He is an inspiration to many actors. I really really miss him but I'm excited that his new movie is coming out soon.

The Prison: Han Suk-kyu and Kim Rae-won.

This going to be good.

I am totally busy but somehow manage to binge watch
Rakuen - Jdrama
It's weird because I find it too slow but also intriguing. I like the core story is not about revealing big murder and return justice but more of a journey to find an answer.
I really like how we have people that are supportive, support only few character and it feels that the character are real people.
Hitoshi's mom, the husband (both from the younger sister and the female protagonist just very supportive), the good lawyer who know how the ethics and others that behave as they have lives outside of helping the main story. Like they could care less if the mystery unfold, they are affected but not suffer more if it still uncovered.
This is a weird things that even if the stor is a puzzled, I can symphathise with the [Read more]

Rakuen is in my watch list too, but I will wait until it complete. My live airing jdorama is only Quartet as my watch list is still long with other completed drama and movie.
Other reason is with Nakama Yukie, I prefer her in period drama than modern one. She has that kind of aura that emits an elegant and unreachable ojou-sama feels that suit period drama well. Trick was fun but her other detective drama Sakura is disappointing so for this one I will watch it in one go (it's just 6 eps anyway).

I plan to watch Three Lives too but movie version. I don't think I will watch the drama version as I already has The Glory of Tang Dynasty in my list.

Yoo Yeon-suk(33) who played doctor Kang Dong-joo in Romantic Doctor also had an interview. [Star News]
He came back from the reward trip recently. "Yesterday exchanging greetings with staffs, I felt very sad thinking it would be hard to see these people again. It is not easy all staffs and actors doing shooting laughing. Shooting itself was not easy, but it left good memories so I feel sad rather than feeling relieved." He had feedbacks like his project of life changed to this show from Reply 1994. "I feel hesitant to say my role-of-life is changed. I just think I gained another character to be remembered by people, and Chilbong-yi in Reply 1994 was not real me Yoon Yeon-suk. I think it is fortunate that I gained another character loved by people."

About Kim Hye-soo who played Kim S [Read more]

He worked with Han Suk-kyu before in a movie 'The Royal Tailor (Sanguiwon)' in 2014. "He gave lots of good advice. Since this time we had scenes face to face, I seemed to have gotten more advices. The one I remember the most is "Don't act facing camera." You concentrate and exchange the lines with oter actors, but there is a moment you become conscious of the camera. You have to think about that moment- he said. And he said not to act too much(overact?). He said about acting only 20 won(2cents) worth. Sunbae-nim said how about him act as much as 20 Won worth, and Yeon-suk act as much as 50 Won worth. And I understood exactly what he talked about."

Yoo said he didn't know he would compete with Go Ah-ra(Reply 1994) in the same time slot. "I heard (Go)Ah-ra filmed for very long time- long [Read more]

As the most memorable line, Yoo picked "Are you good doctor, or best doctor?"."There were many lines, but there was a scene I asked Kim Sa-bu nim "Are you good doctor, or best doctor?" And he said "I am a doctor patients need the most now." Doing that line, I asked myself. "Am I a good actor, or best actor, or needed actor by viewers? I think that was the most memorable line. It made me think I have to become an actor who is needed." He continued, "I think when I first started out, I tried to become a good actor. I continuously tried to hear "There is this newbie actor who acts well. He is a capable guy." When I received more love later, I became greedy to become the best actor. But now I think I want to become an actor who is needed in any projects. I think it would be nice if I become a [Read more]

Thanks Fan, I love how he answer the question about best doctor and actor.
ヾ(。>﹏<。)ノ゙✧*。

Thank you for this. I'm glad the cast and writers'director were so prepared for the medical scenes in RTDK; it had a level of realism that I had never seen in medical dramas prior. I would be one to watch a second season--or third--or fourth. And YYS is exactly the type of "needed actor by the viewers." I have all respect for him and look forward to his next project!

Thank you for the translation of his interview 😢❤

eeeee thank you so much for these trans! you make me want to go back to other open threads just to see if you have anymore translations hhahaha

Lee Ji-hoon (29) who played Lee Min-ho's step brother Heo Chi-hyun in 'Legend of Blue sea' had an interview. [Star News]
He felt embarrassed about the comment he had his presence known in the show. "I am glad and happy to hear that I had screen presence in the show. I asked for help from PD-nim and did lots of thoughts about the part I was lacking in acting. More than burden I felt by playing an evil role, I feel my responsibility is increased on my next project."

He praised the chemistry among actors. "The set atmosphere was very good. I thought Jun Ji-hyun noona and Lee Min-ho hyung were hard to approach being Hallyu stars, but I was wrong. They were down-to-earth and laughed a lot and playful. I played jokes on them prepared to get scolded, but they told me I was like vitamin. I f [Read more]

Lee had many bromance line in shows, and he said he wanted to challenge a romance role next. He showed bromance with Yi Yi-kyung(Wow King of masked singer!!) in 'School 2013', Jo Jung-suk in 'You are the best YSS', and Yoo Ah-in in SFD.
And he picked Song Yoon-ah(K2) as actress he wanted to work with. "Could I expect a romance genre as my next project? Regardless of my intentions I played bromance situation many times. The actress who I want to act with is Song Yoon-ah sunbae. I happened to see Song sunbae laughing on the street, and she looked just like an angel. I think it will be honor if I can act with her."

He said his life had changed after 5 years of acting. "The biggest difference is that I became very busy and the interest and concern from my company increased. I make more m [Read more]

Love this guy. Deserving of all the accolades he receives.

Looking forward to seeing more from him.

Happy Friday!!

Was wondering if anyone followed Taiwanese dramas?!?

I randomly decided to watch The King of Romance and I love it soo freaking much. It has 8 episodes out now (which I thought was fine) but I caught up so quickly and now I have to wait for the slow 1 episode a week update.

It stars Lego Li - who I first watched in In a Good Way (which I also love!). I've seen a lot of Taiwanese dramas - but haven't been as enthralled by the recent ones. Anyone have a recent (like in the last year or so) Taiwanese drama to recommend?

Also, after watching Oh My Ghostess, I thought Cho Jung-Seok looked very similar to Lego Li! Does anyone else see it??

I started "King of Romance" too, and ended up watching the first 7 eps in 2 to 3 days (so I did a mini-marathon), and yes I am enjoying this super cute show! I hope ep 8 gets subbed soon. I also hope that the fantasy aspect just stays in the heroine's imagination, because so far the drama is solidly good without any fantasy elements.

I am also watching and really enjoying "Behind Your Smile", it is 13 eps in.

Yes, I agree that the "fantasy aspect" is not necessary at all. I like that it's there, (mainly because I like the costumes for the before/after commercial breaks, ha) but I don't think it needs to brought up anymore then it has. I don't actually need to see them being their past selves or anything.

I started "Behind your Smile" back when the series description was completely wrong and I haven't forgiven the show enough to start it again haha. When I first started it, it said the male lead was cursed to immortality and his life was meaningless but then he meets the main female lead and his outlook changes... or something like that. All I know is I was getting very different vibes watching the series.

Yes the show has nothing supernatural in it, but it is a good show and the synopsis was wrong. So I hope you give it another chance :D

I am watching Behind Your Smile, too! I love it. It is a T-Drama but I don't feel that the pace is too slow and the OTP have good chemistry. Like any drama sometimes it feels like they are beating the viewer over the head with the on going themes of revenge, redemption, love, duplicity etc but I can honestly say most episodes I am a bit surprised with the characters actions....this is the hook of the show, because even as the female lead is falling in love and unraveling the enigma of the man she is in love with, he is also changing due to their relationship but there are so many moments where you just don't know if he is plotting or actually means what he is saying.

Yes, I don't think I've ever seen a synopsis be so totally wrong ever before.

My issue with the T-Dramas is they are way too long for the story they want to tell, especially the Idol Dramas. Even for dramas with good set-ups, they just go on and on. K-Dramas do this as well but T-Dramas are worse.

Having said that there are good ones out there old and new...MARS, Devil by My Side, Autumn's Concerto (though still too long), and I'm giving Behind Your Smile a go and since it's the same guy, I think it's called Back to Seventeen or something like that...sorry can't remember the title but it looks good.

Also forgot to add: Other TW-dramas I'd recommend:
Love Now (long show, has 72 eps)
Down With Love
Marry Me Or Not
Mars
Autumn's Concerto
honorable mentions:
Fated to Love You
Office Girls
Just You
My Queen

OO I've seen Fated to Love you, Office Girls and Just you.

Down with Love is one of my favorites!! I loved the child actors so much.

Thanks for the other recs!

Happy watching!

I recently discovered Autumn's Concerto and it is such a good rainy day drama. It just makes you want to curl up on the sofa with a cup of coffee and get immersed.

Marry Me or Not is Office Girls older sister. It's well-written and mature. Even through the main couples antics, you still feel like you're watching adults evolve into a real relationship. Tons of fun.

Recommending:

Murphy's Law of Love is really a good watch first time around. It's really cute and a bit refreshing but watch it from arms length. It's easy to see the flaws in the characters' logic in this one.

Drunken to Love You is a Rainie Yang drama that's really cute. It's a contract drama (which I adore) that moves rather briskly.

Happy 300 Days and Love Myself or You are really cute. Both are nice [Read more]

Thanks for the recs!! I have't seen Drunken to love you or Happy 300 days so I will definitely check them out! I do like a good contract drama!

Mars is such a relief for the SLS pain of hana yori dango..

In all versions i keep falling for hanazawa rui..
so this was such a bliss to find vick and Marbie together.. and well end up together in real life as well..

It is amazing.. well casted, well acted..

Did anyone watch the Japanese Mars? How is that?

I ended up loving the original so much, I haven't tried the Japanese version. What I'm reading is most (almost all actually) consider the T-Drama much better though the female character in the J-drama is much closer to how she is in the manga.

I haven't been all that impressed with Taiwanese Dramas recently, but I believe "In a Good Way" and "Marry Me or Not" set the bar fairly high, and there have been few shows that have come even close to those standards.

But...I am watching King of Romance and Behind Your Smile. Mainly because right now there's a bunch of really suspenseful Korean dramas (Defendant, Missing 9, The Voice) and I need some lighter faire.

Hmmm I think I've heard of Marry Me or Not! I will check it out - thanks!

I agree with the recent theme of Korean dramas. I usually enjoy them but not recently... I think I like my suspense dramas with more romance and less amnesia lol. I haven't started any of the recent k dramas except Tomorrow with You and Introverted Boss (which I dropped)

Funny that all actors go to awards shows want best couple awards

I am currently going through a k-drama drought, for some reason, I have not been able to watch anything new past Kim Bok Joo diligently. I started a couple of things and dropped them for some weird reason. Word of advice needed from fellow beanies, do I start Defendent, Chief Kim and Tomorrow With You right away or should I wait a bit and binge watch later.
Oh, and the only thing I watched recently was, the first from the 3 color fantasy series from MBC.
I was skeptical but my instagram got flooded with the short videos of episodes so I gave in. Had no idea and I loved the first one. "The Star of the Universe" was a good short drama. Nothing to dramatic, too experimental but I felt really happy and sad but was overall very very satisfied with this one. I didn't expect much from Suho but [Read more]

Drama drought for me too! I had thought Introverted Boss looked good going into it, but didn't like it from the first episode. The only things I'm watching are Behind Your Smile and Golden Pouch, but Golden Pouch has been taking a hiatus for like two whole weeks! Father, I'll Take Care of You has a few nice plot threads, but most of it is shrill, and there are only two eps. a week. Sigh.

Anything coming out soon that looks good?

I think Introverted Boss did some "introspection" based on viewer feedback and sliding ratings. It's going to be tough for me to give it a second chance though. The female lead really turned me off big time and I find it difficult to believe that she would change that dramatically.

Hello guys! Been waiting so eagerly for this thread, haha. I have done watching Shopping King Louie, and I am so proud to say that I am a certified and deeply in love with Seo Inguk! And currently in the middle of watching High School King of Savvy, and good Lord I am even fallen more deeper!
Seo Inguk really is so good, and I am saying this even when I'm only watching his two dramas so far. I am totally fangirling with my friend right now, and I have been doing non stop research about him on the news and youtube for the past week. Thank you Beanies for giving such a true reviews about this such talented guy and what a sad year to be his fan. He is going to the military right?
Shopping King Louie is such a fluffy and fun drama, and I am loving this puppy Louie so much. Oh how could a m [Read more]

u may try to watch Answer Me 1997/Reply 1997 as that drama was the one that make Seo Inguk gained fans through his good performance despite being a rookie actor at that time. other is Squad 38/ Police Unit 38, his charisma in that show made me fall more him. goodluck for marathoning Seo Inguk's dramas. 😊

Thanks for the recommendation! Been planning to watch it right after I finish with High School King of Savvy, :)

Agree! If I'm not wrong Answer Me 1997 is the drama that gave him a breakthrough in his acting career. I first saw him through that drama, fell in love quickly, and then after that breakthrough he never disappointed me later with all his drama choices. I keep falling deeper and deeper for him in his every dramas.

Me too! Me too! 😍😍😍

If i remember it right, weren't you the one who asked for recommendations on SIG's work and feedback on the actor.. adn ofcourse were flooded with posts of priases :)

Glad you ended up "enjoying" his work

Haha yes that was me! 😁

I love it! BoxFile, I hope you gave a deep bow of apology to your friend who was trying so hard to convince you of the SIG awesomeness! She must be so happy to have you with her on his love train now ❤ He's the best.

Yes totally hahaha. He is indeed awesome and I just couldnt believe he is already 30 years old. Are korean actors always looked that young? He is such a dreamy guy though, 😍😍😍

Hahaha you're welcome :-) . But I insist, go for I Remember You next; cool Seo In-guk will finish you off ;-)

Yes totally! I dont know though, I have been planning to watch Reply 1997 before I go to I Remember You, but I might change that later haha(since you mentioned that drama show the cooler side of his). Oh I forgot to mentioned this earlier in my post, but Seo Inguk face really changed when he changed his hairstyles though, and he looked so good in suits! 😗

Doesn't he? . I am trying very hard to be able to watch Reply 1997, but it is "not available in my region" (surprise), and download versions are all kinds of messy. Eventually, sigh... in any case, from the little I have been able to see, I think it will be a nice look at his beginnings, but the contrast will be more striking with IRY. Then again, you may be able to make your own decision by the end of Savvy :-p

Yes indeed he is! Seo Inguk in suits is such a treat to my eyes! And it is so refreshing to see an idol, having such a normal body to boot! Normally they seemed skinny, but never thought it would be such an exciting experience indeed watching him with such meaty body. Drooling.....😍

Oooh I never check OT nowadays cuz Seo In Guk is so out of news but I am glad I did! I am always happy to welcome a new fellow SIG fangirl :P
When you are done with watching all his shows and variety appearances (Mari & me specially), go to random recap threads of any of his shows on Dramabeans (I Remember You, 38 Task Force, and Shopping King Louis recently, and King of High School and Answer Me 1997 from the old ones). You will find tomes of praises written on his acting ability, his looks, his sexiness, his cuteness, his singing talent, his goofiness in real life etcetera etcetera... Makes for a good read (and a good write as I remember contributing many comments :P)

😍😍😍 oh that is so true! At first his looks didnt get to me, but once I have seen his acting, he really is natural though. But by the way why there is always a comments that say he is underrated? Is that means in terms of his looks, his popularity or his talents though? Anyway me too! I am happy to meet another fellow Seo Inguk fangirls other than my friend, haha.

Seo InGuk is 😍😍. There's no going back now. You're basically trapped. I've ran out of words to praise him....he is just 😍😍😍😍

Me too! I am the same too! Run out of words on how to describe my feelings about him, hahaha. 😍😍😍

Underrated because even though he is popular, he is not as popular as he should be (basically it is what we fangirls believe- fangirls of other actors might have a different opinion)

Basically, to me, his acting skills are brilliant and he is sexy as hell, and even though it is accepted in Korea, he still is not considered one of the top leading actors. All this might change once he comes back from the army hopefully.

Ouh is that so? But he has been in quite a lot dramas as the leading man right? I truthfully felt that his different looks is what gives his roles so much distinction, compared to other actors, 😍. Given his young face, he could play a highschooler so effortlessly good but then, his looks can become mature and sexy as hell when he want to, just like he did in High School King of Savvy! He just keep taking my breath away, haha!

"At first his looks didnt get to me, but once I have seen his acting, he really is natural though."

Hahaha, told you so :-p ; if you remember, last week I said that given to choose between Lee Min-ho and Seo In-guk, I had no doubt, and you would see what I meant when you saw him act. So, see? :-)

Yes I totally see and understand what you meant @Delurker! He is love...😍😍😍

I first saw him in Master's Sun where I thought he was OK. Shopping King Louie turned that OK into he's awesome!

Me too! Me at first thought he was just okay, but now he's undeniably and so irresistably charming! Lets not forget his singing skills though! I fall even more deeper...😗

I am so glad you like him this much! what comes to The Kings´ Face, I found it enjoyable, Ingukkie is putting all his heart into the role. what I liked was for a first time in a sageuk for me the court officials were relatively quiet. in some sageuks there is all this "Please reconsider! Chona, chona! bla bla bla!!!" that it turns me off. There was more thinking and doing and less court noise here. it might not be that super-high-stake, bite-your-nails exiting, but it is better than the general opinion of it.

If you watch I Remember You right after SKL & HSK, you will be floored by the polar opposite Hyun - mature and seemingly cold-hearted, but in reality with a generous and open heart. and he cooks and cleans - are you sure you´ll be able to handle it?

oh, and do watch the pet show "Mari and I".

Yes yes I will! Seo Inguk dramas, variety shows and songs has become one of top priorities in my life now(I sound like a delusional fangirl am I?) Haha 😁

BOXFILE!!! I wish I could show you how my face was while reading your comment! I had to cover my mouth to stop the squeals of excitement and happiness from getting too loud ( coz my poor mother in the other room is under the illusion that I’m studying diligently and not wasting my time browsing Kdrama websites)

I am so pleased that you’ve decided to join us on the Seo In Guk train. And even MORE pleased that you adore King of High School Savvy - our unconventional but endearing OTP, the EXCELLENT supporting cast, and what you’ve said about Lee Min Suk being your all time favourite male lead in dramaland - That’s exactly how I feel too!!!❤
And off-screen too SIG has this genuine, down-to-earth personality - which is another reason I adore him to bits! 😍 You are lucky though [Read more]

Hahaha yes High School King of Savvy was the one that made me fall for him. What a pleasant experience to doscover that there is such a warm and heartfelt Korean drama like this, and I totally loved it when Seo Inguk doesnt lose up his character, well up to the current episode that I am watching at the moment. And oh! Oh the kissing scene! That cast kiss scene! I rewind it everytime, and I still get hot and lots of butterflies eveytime! 😍😍😍 Now I know, that he truly deserved that Master of Kissing title. It gives me so much feels!

‘Warm and heartfelt’ - that’s exactly what that drama was. Lots of depth and sincerity.

Also now you’ve got me all excited about that Cast kiss.
*Off to find it and rewatch.*

I have lost count on how many times i rewind that cast scene, haha!

😉

Hi, all! I'm late to the drama game. I started watching about 5 years but have watched so enthusiastically and become such an ambassador that I decided to write a Kdrama-inspired play for an actual theater. Can you believe that? I'm also in talks to lead a class around kdramas in the context of Asian American studies and am compiling a possible booklist. Anyone have any leads on books and resources? Of course, on my radar already is the Dramabeans' Why Do They Do That? book and The Birth of Korean Cool. Links to books, sites, academic studies, or even pop culture to provide context would be much appreciated.

I don't know about suggestions for the booklist, but you might look into contacting the "Pop Culture and Philosophy" people. They do books about philosophy... and pop culture. I haven't seen a K-drama one yet, you could help make it! And they might have some good resources for you too. ^^ Sorry I wasn't more help!

Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't know about this.

Also, Re Jane by Patricia Park.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will check this out.

It won't let me post the blog link. The blog is called Professor A.K.I.A. Talking.