Open Thread #487

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

how are you

watched the movie Pandora. Good movie, but do not watch after eating or if you plan to eat that day, I, for one, threw up several times. way too realistic and I have lived the time when our men also were sent to Chornobyl after the accident there, so I kept remembering the news. it is terribly realistic, so if you intend to see it, be warned.

what´s interesting is that a lot of things in the movie were very similar to The Tunnel and many other Korean movies: the dialogue carrying almost identical social criticism, the small folk repressed and neglected by authorities, clinging to money instead of moral values, decisions being delayed by bumps in the System, heroine separated from the hero, disoriented leaders etc. It is simultaneously a strength and a weakness of Korean movies, there is a noticeable pattern when they depict a crisis and the general message seems to be the same: the system is flawed and little people are trampled over, unless they take matters into their own hands. That´s basically what all such movies sum up to. Still, it is always done with perfection. But also, the president (Kim Myung Min) and the control room men, how to call it, was very much like Joseon court. Oh, btw, there was a secretary Kim in the movie.

also found time for Defendant, continues to be mysterious and somewhat heartbreaking.

Today we went to the JRCC center in Tallinn (Joint Rescue Coordination Center) and what they told us about survival at sea makes Missing 9 look a little... well, like a kindergarten outing. We didnt really see the hypothermia or anything... but I guess to induce more paranoia, it has to be a bit unrealistic. I would make a different drama based on the knowledge I got today. though we talked about slightly different situations, mainly air rescue at sea, which has its´ own complications.

in other news, King Sejong Institute in Tallinn is offering a kpop dancing course. hmmm.... I am not much of a dancer but I must say I am tempted out of pure curiosity. Teacher supposed to be straight from Korea, I wonder who (not that I would know them by naem). There is only one Teacher I am truly interested in, tho.

what is your level of curiosity about korean culture? will you satisfy with Wikipedia articles, watch documentaries and study tutorials, take part in something like a course or a workshop, or fly straight to Korea? and would you go to a kpop dance course or do you think it will be too hard...

Hey, redfox, we live in the same time zone, so I always see your comments before this sections is flooded with other beanies!
If I had anything Korean going on in my city, I'd go there. We once had a pansori performance - it was uh-mazing, I sat there wide-eyed the entire time. Highly recommended. And as far as kpop dancing is concerned, I'd probably go too, but I feel like I'd be too old for that? Or is it just my insecurities talking and 30 is still young enough? On the other hand, my back is messed up, so I'd probably be too stiff (I couldn't manage the body roll in my salsa class a few years back...).
If you do end up going to those classes, do provide a detailed report! ^_^

thing is, I don´t want to be a nuisance with my zero coordination there. I think I should at least have some premise so that I wouldnt get in the way.

It will probably depend on the level – beginner, intermediate, etc. If the class is for anyone and everyone, then coordination/experience won't be an issue. Plus, dancing is very good for developing that pesky coordination!

I would be a complete embarrassment to myself and the human race in general, but I would sign up to any gym that did K-pop instead of Zumba; imagine goofing off to SNSD's Gee... :-)

Yassss! I want to rock out to Gee!

Hmm I would love to take Kpop dancing cuz I like Kpop. Have you watched the YouTube channel 1MILLION Dance Studio? They look like they're having fun. So I just took up drop in hip hop classes instead (times work better). I've only been to 1 class but it's fun! And painful. Haha.

Haha I'm 30 and went to a beginner's drop in hip hop class. Was fun! But if your back is a Mess, might be an issue. Talk to your doctor and tell the instructor.

I saw the J-drama Pandora. Will try to watch the K-movie

Hi Redfox!
Finally someone mention on that movie.
If you don't mind, can you describe what kind of message or impression you got after watch Pandora. I'm not referring to directing or acting or plot, but the nuclear part, especially with your knowledge on Chernobyl.

I have nuclear engineering background, btw. And it's always nice to see other perspective on that matter.

ok... mind you, I don´t have a personal opinion on nuclear power as such if it is well-controlled and if the plants are closed before they become as old as Chornobyl was. But the nuclear waste is another problem, if we keep accumulating it, I dońt think we can avoid problems. as to the message from the movie, I think it didnt exactly stamp nuclear energy as bad, nor did it concentrate on the environmental aspect of nuclear energy, or its´ effect on peoples´ safety and wellbeing, really, despite the gorey results of the accident. it felt more like a study in crisis management. that was the main issue: obstacles in solving problems efficiently and hesitation with sharing information. and perhaps the blind optimism people have about certain things, which handicaps their decision-making skills. Human error and dependence on energy to the point where authorities are willing to risk lives by withholding information is a very real thing. that same thing was with Chornobyl: the actual news started to leak up to a week after the accident. first there was a week of silence.Yeah - it could have just as well been some other situation of crisis, like a ship accident.

Well, considering I'm now minoring in Korean I'd say my interest level is fairly high. But I haven't taken any courses other than college ones, and I haven't been to Korea (yet). Someday I'm going to live in Taiwan and teach English, where I can fly to Korea of a summer and go to Jeju Island and learn how to make all the Korean food ever. At least, that's the dream.

Wow. Almost something in common. I lived in Taiwan and taught English for 5 years -- but that was 40 years ago.

Where's all that time travel when we need it ?

Lol right? Do you have a radio, maybe we could connect? Or some incense, I could go back in time and meet you while you taught...

a kpop dancing course? heh- Go for it! Fighting!
There was onc time they played Gangnam style in my aquacise class and I was so excited (Nobody knew the song tho)

Hi redfox!
I would definitely take advantage of the kpop dance class and at least go to the first one to see if you can meet other drama fans and k-culture fans (maybe you don't even have to officially enroll until after trying it!).
I took Korean language classes sponsored by the King Sejong Institute at a local Korean church on Saturdays. It was 60 Korean-American kids between ages 5-12 and ... old white lady me. Pretty hilarious. They were exceptionally kind to tailor learning to my needs (and lack of Korean family in the home). Only my poor memory kept me from achieving conversational mastery (cough) but I had tons of fun, made Korean friends and got to gossip with my teachers who were watching the same dramas I was. And, I think, I helped them understand America a bit more. The King Sejong Institute has classes like this around the world even in small cities like mine, everyone can check it out.

@bbstl,

Thank you for mentioning King Sejong Institute. I just took a gander at their online learning website, and there's lots of great stuff there, including webtoons of folktales and history videos. Very cool.

wow, I didn't know all that stuff was there! I can't wait to watch those videos about the fortresses and the place of Pyongyang in Korean history. And Jejudo. Thanks for telling us about this!

For local k-culture contacts, especially language instruction, those in large cities will have actual King Sejong Institutes. For the rest of us some successful ways to find it are through Korean churches, groceries and restaurants and Korean or Asian student groups at local colleges.

@bbstl,

You're most welcome! I'm so glad to spread the joy. :-)

I happened across OnDemandKorea some months back, and have been watching dramas there. Their subtitles seem to be pretty good, but not all shows get English subs. They're currently airing the docudrama CHRONICLES OF KOREA that looks dandy, but alas, this is one program that doesn't have English subtitles. I think I watched the whole first episode raw anyway, and the production is really well done. It kind of reminded me of THE TWENTIETH CENTURY that Prudential Insurance used to sponsor, but with dramatizations instead of newsreel footage. ODK also offers variety shows and scads of documentaries, but few of them are subtitled, either. There's one on Baekje that looks very interesting -- complete with archaeological excavations -- and I may watch it raw for the heck of it. (I loved THE KING'S DAUGHTER, SU BAEK-HYANG, and would enjoy learning more about the history.)

FYI: KOREAN MUSIC IN BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, USA – April 8 & June 29, 2017

Details:
64 PakalanaPikake January 28th, 2017 at 12:31 AM

@PakalanaPikake,
Thanks so much again for this wonderful info. I will check out ODK and its shows with great interest. I'm especially interested right this second because of the nasty Baekje Crown Prince in Hwarang. Crazy how even bad characters in weak shows can teach us something!
But what's really taken my breath away is your link about the music, because Jen Shu is someone I know. We met the day after the election last November when she was standing in front of my airport with a big weird-looking instrument case that, upon questioning, turned out to be the gayageum. She was surprised that some random old blonde lady in the Midwest could talk about that. Or maybe not, because she is a very old soul and sees the connections everywhere. I was blessed to spend parts of three days with her after we met and I'm a different person. At any rate, omg please go see her in June without fail, she will do something that will thrill you. Many of her performances are available on YT and I encourage anyone else who might read this to look for her videos.
After we met I so wanted to come to OT to talk about Jen but couldn't really figure out how and I let it go. Now it feels like it's come full circle. Shivers.

Aloha, bbstl!!

So glad you got to see my late post about OnDemandKorea, and even happier that you got a kick out of the upcoming Korean music in NYC, even if you're in the Midwest.

How wonderful that you "happened" to meet Jen Shu and her gayageum and spent so much time with her. I've had similar serendipitous crossings of paths myself, and know what you mean. Talk about cosmic timing. All I can say is, God/dess / the Universe works in truly mysterious ways.

I always have my antennae out for music and cultural stuff, although the chances of my trekking into Deepest Darkest Brooklyn or Manhattan are slim-to-none these days, even for the chance to hear live pansori or gayageum.

I first attended World Music Institute events in NYC in the late '90s when they presented slack key concerts by such masters as Ray Kane, Dennis Kamakahi, and Keola Beamer, in collaboration with the erstwhile Hawaiian Cultural Foundation. Hearing those cats in the concrete jungle was a blessing that transported me back to my time in the Islands at concerts under the stars at Andrews Amphitheatre at UH-Manoa -- but without the jet lag.

I hadn't set foot in Manhattan in years, but made the effort last June to finally meet the Hawaiian voyaging canoe Hokulea during her 3-year circumnavigation of the globe. (She later sailed up the Hudson and traversed the NY State Barge Canal into Lake Erie!) I was in seventh heaven not only to meet the canoe and her crew during the Hawaiian Airlines outrigger races on the Hudson River, but to hear live Hawaiian music, especially hula kahiko (ancient). There were wonderful performances by local hula halaus and musicians and singers from the Islands, too.

If you get a chance to experience the Hawaiian Airlines Serenaders in person, do it. They are terrific musicians and dancers. The kane / ahjussis in their malos are seriously fine. Brought me back to seeing Brother Frank Hewett and his halau kicking off the kane kahiko revival 30 years ago. Some of the dances are based on traditional Hawaiian martial arts, IIRC. Be still my heart. ;-)

Here's a nice example of kane kahiko. The kumu hula's name, Kaleo, is so apropos. It means "voice," and his is wonderful:

I used to spend a lot more time hanging around the Open Thread up until about MOON LOVERS last August. Have been doing way more live-watching and fangirling in the recaps ever since, so I'm rarely here. We were meant to chat this week. I'm hanging my hat these days at REBEL, SAIMDANG, TOMORROW WITH YOU, and VOICE, if you need to catch up with me. I'll check back on this OT in a day or so. Blessings to you.

Old college disc jockeys never die, we just segue out. ;-)

I watched Pandora last week. My friends had warned and told me that I would need boxes of tissue because it was really heartbreaking. It's not that kind of heroic movie where people sacrificed themselves for the world peace. They were just ordinary people who wanted to protect their families.
So, in order to prevent that tears, I watched it while eating. Because I was not that multitasking person. I couldn't watch movie, eat and cry in the same times.
But then, I proved wrong. When the movie got its second half part, I had to stop eating and all I could do was crying. My... it was really heartbreaking indeed. I needed 2-3 days to get over it.

I was crying for the last 30 minutes of the show. Kim Nam Gil is so cruel to his fans TT

well, I didn´t cry, but I already have a hard time watching regular medical dramas, but some scenes here were 10 levels up

Question: is cleaning your bathroom for 6-7 hours considered abnormal?

I just got way into cleaning my bathroom and I just used a rag and a magic eraser. Btw magic erasers work wonderfully for clearing up water-stained glass doors..worked on them for 3 hours..i was a bit obsessed. Anyway it is now spick and span. And my body is an aching mess..

But hey! Dramas! catching up with missing 9 and still loving it. :) Need to watch the latest Chief Kim eps. Oh! and Rebel HGD!! gah. I am in love.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

It is perfectly normal as procrastinating - I do it once in a while to avoid writing the thesis. ;)

Chief Kim is going strong, but my Yul crush received a blow this week, mainly because I don't want him to go full evil. Ok, rephrase... I don't want him to become un-interestingly evil. A conflicted villain is still ok. Though I wanted him to continue being cute. *sob*

I'm thinking of installing a TV in my bathroom so I can soak in the tub as I watch my dramas. (I told my husband I may never emerge, or at least, when I finally do, I'll be all prune-y and waterlogged.

So No,

cleaning your bathroom for 6-7 hours is a personal choice.
And I commend you on your hygiene.

@Wag_a_Muffin,

Sounds like your own private Damiwon. Will that be with or without hot and cold running princes? ;-)

Take a tip from Queen Shouldn'tHaveHadKids, and strew plenty of rose petals while you prune-ify. With indoor plumbing, you won't have to worry about getting the old mercury in the bathwater treatment at the hands of a duplicitous water slave. ;-)

'Hot and cold running princes'. I want I want!

Hello beaniessss!!
I've always been a silent reader here at dramabeans ever since I found this site a few years ago, i only watch kdramas often but have been part of the kdrama community for a long time, it played a huge part to me while I was growing up, so it holds a place in my heart which is why its always a great feeling coming back to it. so Im new with all of this commenting stuff, I hope we can all be friends. I love reading your comments guys, this is such a wonderful community where there are open discussions about each episodes and it feels good to go to a place where you know someone also feels the same way you do. Saranghaeee. Also Kudos to everyone here at dramabeans who was always part of my kdrama journey. You guys are amazing! More power to you guys!! *finger hearts*

Hi! *waves*
I was like you for about my first year visiting the site..until I finally decided to join in on commenting.. I love how different perspectives and world views are presented here, in the smallest of things. Though my favorite discussions have to go to the affair dramas of last year. Loved reading those! :)

Welcome! Dive right in!

Dalkiiya -

Welcome! Glad you could join us!

Welcome! I also enjoy reading recaps and witty comments at DB. Too bad that I don't have enough time to hang out as much as I want.

Hi Dalkiiya!
Isn't dramabeans the best? Glad to see you here ??

"finger hearts" - so cute! ♥

I just watched promo for animation movie Trolls and now I really want to see Park Hyung-sik and Lee Sung-kyung act together in a drama. They already have great chemistry with their voices alone. And it would be nice to see another rare same-height couple.

waaahhh they were the dubbed voice actors for that movie?? now I want to see it dubbed..

same here! would love to see them act together!

Where do you watch the dubbed movie?

Saaaame!! As much as I love and ship Sung Kyung x Nam joo Hyuk i would love to see Hyung sik and Sung kyung in a drama together. I feel their chemistry too. Also, like I was telling my sister earlier, joo hyuk needs to step up his game seeing that Hyung Sik and Ji Soo has adorable bromance scenes in Do bong soon. Hahahaha

I'm envying Park Hyungshik's fans right now. They can see him in new drama right after another his drama end next week whereas I have to wait for months to see my favorite actor Lee Jongseok in drama again and there's still no news about Park Bogum's new drama :(

I have to agree with you - where is Lee Jong Suk?? >_< How much longer do I have to wait?
Also, Lee Seung Gi. It'll be another year at least.

I think Lee Jongseok starts filming While You Were Sleeping this month but i don't know when the drama will air, anybody knows?

You know who else I miss? Yeo Jin-gu and Kim Soo-hyun. Where are they? I also have love for Lee Jong-seok, Park Bo-gum, and Lee Seung-gi. Come back, y'all!

the first do are doing movies.

@ redfox Aha, thank you! Please come back soon to TV!

As a Park Hyung-sik's fan, I'm definitely in my happiest place right now. Though I'm also still (im)patiently waiting for Daniel Choi's return from military service. These 2 years feel extra long somehow.

I'm on pins and needles waiting for While You Were Sleeping!

I can't wait for while you were sleeping to the point that I'm even watching uncontrollably fond rn to see if Suzy's acting changed much since Dream High. Why am I doing this to myself.

I'm hoping VIP will get edited and released soon to tide us over TT TT

YES. I want to see VIP so bad. While I was re-watching W: Two Worlds I could see more how his acting changes to fit the roles, I'm excited to see him as a villain.

I don't know what to do about the casting for While You Were Sleeping, I want to give Suzy a fair shot, and I want to believe in the writer-director's abilities to work with their talent and I mostly just really, really, really want to have new episodes of LJS on every week.

Suzy's dramas that I had watched are only Dream High and Gu Family Book. I like her as Hyemi (and honestly I like the chubby suzy, very cute) but I don't quite remember her character in GFB. I hope Writer Park Hye-ryun can write her character in While You Were Sleeping as likeable as Hyemi.

I've never seen anything with her in it, I've just heard some controversial stuff about her acting. I bet she'll do great, though, and she's worked with this writer before so I bet that will help.

Hwarang was my first show seeing PHS in. I mainly started watching it for Park Seo Joon, but after the second episode I fell for PHS and kinda forgot about PSJ. Unfortunately, due to pacing, lack for character dept and explanations, I kind of lost interest in his PHS's character so that why I'm really looking forward to his new show where I hope he gets the girl.

The funny thing about going through your favourite star withdrawals is that it can give you a chance to find new actors to fan over resulting in a cycle where you hopefully don't feel a huge void in your life as much. lol.

You should watch High Society. PHS is the second lead but his romance with the second leading lady is better than the main couple, and they have a happy ending too.
Even if you don't want to watch the whole thing, just watch when PHS is on and FF the rest.

Will do. Thanks for the recommendation!

Tired when watching Missing 9.. How this drama so promising at first but it came so annoying now.

Same, since ep 7-9, it was so sadd sadd sadd.

everything went down about TAE HOON being evil.
this is not LOST anymore, is not about missing & the issue of how they stranded in island anymore, is just about the hunter n the hunting down chasing.

and, at least if u want to make this about that psycho route, make it fun shows! make them smart!
Watching them makes our day even sucks!

It's become more stupid now. The only good things that they don't make Joon Oh lost his memory. So freaking annoying that all characters never help female lead (At the present). Polices so stupid too.

This is quite depressing to read. It started out so strong and has so much potential.
But to be honest, I began to fell the same way around episode 4 and by episode 6, decided to allow myself to fall behind, and watch it only when I have the time and motivation to do so. But if these are the reviews it's getting, I'm going to take it off my list altogether.

I was having a blast in eps 1-3 and then it started getting bloody. By eps 6, I was solely relying on recaps and comments and still haven't found my will to continue it. I wouldn't mind the killing spree if it was done in interesting story line. The one in this drama, though...

Well now I feel some additional justification for dropping it after the first episode. Phew.

Agree. I actually started to recap Missing Nine but couldn't continue as I completely lost interest. I tried hard to stick with it but...just wasn't there for me.

I skipped many scenes when I watching. Just cut it to 12 eps. It's too long and lagging because don't know what to describe in 16 eps.
And I see in dramawiki, it's write:
- Screenwriter: Son Hwang Won
- Creator: Han Jung Hoon
Son Hwang Won is the one who turn it to a mess.

Just done rewatching Chief Kim from epi 1-8 today and I watched epi 7-8 twice also today lmao. After Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim (also with name 'Kim') , i finally found something who really made me totally invested. Nam Goong Min is hilarious, love his frenemies with Junho - when CK annoyed him and him getting annoyed by CK lmao. Add one more, with Chairman's son. I love female lead too, they made her smart as well. Epi 8 totally crack me up lol. I couldnt stop laughing.

Another one I love Rebel too. After long time didnt find any interesting sageuk, finally something I love.

Introverted Boss made me confused sometimes but still gave me the amount of humours that I need. Hwan Ki and Panda should win the Best Couple. I want to be the Panda and accompany him everywhere.

I'm only watching Chief Kim and Rebel from all the new shows.
Chief Kim is indeed hilarious. ^^; Workplace humour always gets me - make me look at my own workplace with a lighter heart.

Workplace shows are always my thing - I loved Ms Temper, RTDK and now Chief Kim. And I am perfectly OK with less or no romance at all. ?

Completely with you on the absence of Romance.

Also, Ms. Temper is on my to-watch list. Your handle clearly suggests that you recommend it. ^^

Yes I am basically suggesting Ms Temper to everyone lol. Ok Da Jung (the female lead) is my girl crush. ?

Hwan-ki/Panda couple for the win!!! I loved that whole sequence, so cute. And Chief Kim is quite the ride. The last scene in episode 8 had me dying laughing. Hey, if you're put in time out indefinitely, may as well be comfortable!

Hwan Ki should get Panda for himself too. Wouldn't it be so adorable ? lol.

I'm with you on Chief Kim and Rebel. One is like fizzy drink and the other is like rich red wine.

Chairman's son is hilarious. He's so afraid of Chief Kim lol.

Yes I agree with you. Chairman's son also embarrased on himself because he is afraid of Chief Kim.lol. I want more scenes of them. They are hilarious. I love the Intern too. I like that in this drama, everyone is quite smart and not totally dumb or candy type.

And that Goblin OST as the intern and the trampled-on maknae of Chief Kim's group had me in stitches. There were so many funny scenes, I'm forgetting to mention them here. I'll think of them later, of course...

The intern I referred was the one in Accounting Dept actually hehe. But yeahh the random Goblin OST lmao.

Yes, like that shower scene... rofl

@WishfulToki the shower scene will never be the same again. First he made us swooning but in few seconds everything becomes so funny.

Episode 8 was so funny that I have to re-watch to catch what I missed while I laughed too hard. The Chairman's son, who is that actor? We need to see more of him. And I'm so happy the show has high ratings because Namgoong Min has always been great to me but this will finally show Korea why he deserves to be a STAR. And seriously - omg, that shower? How did he keep it together???

The Chairman's son actor has been always playing supprting roles and also funny characters. I have seen him in other projects but couldnt remember his name. He and that Intern Girl actually played a couple in one weekend drama, and both them always playing funny characters. They should made these two have more scenes here too.

This drama actually has become a sleeper hit, I never thought this will get high rating but glad it made it.

Yeahh.. The chairman's son. Who is he? I've been googling him but to no avail.

Chairman's son actor- His name is Dong Hwa (real name: Kim Hyung-kyu). He debuted in 2009, and did a few dramas including playing a resident in 'Beautiful Mind' last year. I remember him the most as Mantis in jtbc's Last.

Oh man, after seeing these comments I have to start Chief Kim! I'm a fan of Namgoong Min, but have been waiting for more episodes to be out and for more free time to binge watch them all.

Imo, I love NGM in Chief Kim way more than I loved him in Gongshim... :)

Really??? Heck, gonna watch the first episode as soon as I'm done with dinner!

I hope you will enjoy it!

I know! I wasn't super interested in the premise, but all this makes me think it's really hilarious. I'll have to check it out this weekend.

When I saw the teasers, I wasn't that interested but decided to watch for NamGoong Min. It is end up as my no 1 to watch now. Lol. Glad you will try it and hopefully you will enjoy it like us too.

LOL! I just had to chip in to say how much I agree with you. I wasn't planning on watching at all. Not sure if the promo didn't do the story justice because once you've watched it you are sure to be hooked.

Yes, Chief Kim is awesome, Namgoong Min as Chief Kim is the best thing really, I can't imagine anyone else nailing this role other than him. Especially this week's episodes killed me, I could not stop laughing, I think I'm gonna rewatch episode 8, too.

Yes I also cannot imagine other actor playing Chief Kim. Epi 8 really made me laughed non stop. I think my roomate probably thought I was going crazy lol.

Seconding Rebel and NamGoong Min. I didn't watch Introverted Boss, though. Not missing it, either.

Yes Yes!

Hwan Ki (Yeon Woo Jin) made me like Intro Boss but I dont really invested with the storyline. But will watch until the end, it is quite a fun to watch.

I miss Lee Seung-gi!

I was listening to some music today and Jung Joonil's voice in Goblin's OST First Snow kind of reminded me of him and I realized I miss him. I've always liked him but never to the extent to go search and stalk his dramas but after the realization I'm planning to do exactly that! Does anyone know when will he be back from the army?

Learned about Yoo Ah-in's bone tumor, hope he gets well soon, I never thought twice about him until I watched Six Flying Dragons, one of my favorite sageuk dramas ever, everyone was great but I was blown away with his performance, I was wishing to see him again soon and in Chicago typewriter, but his health comes first, so if he rejects it can the offer go to Yoo Yeon-seok? I think he'll be great for that role!

In love with Park Hyung-sik and Lee Sung-kyung's acoustic version of True Colors, can't get enough of it, and now I want to see them in a drama together!

Ikr? Park Hyung-sik and Lee Sung-kyung gave me sooo much feels. I need them acting as a couple in drama soon.

Yes, let's pray to the drama gods, we need a Park Hyung-sik and Lee Sung-kyung drama, please!

I wish for this pair to happen too!

Recently I have been missing Lee Seung-gi too. Weird because a couple of months after Gumiho I had totally forgotten about him. Now I am listening to his songs and rewatching bits and pieces of Gumiho.. and sort of craving for him? Craving might be a strong word. Just missing him..
And I opened the dramabeans page to read OT and lo and behold - Lee Seung-gi (Not 1, but 3 :) ) on the header picture thingy (I don't know what the technical term is!). It's making me miss him even more. ha ha

It just feels so long since the last time we saw him in anything, I didn't even know I was missing him until today, LOL!

The headers (Yes, they're called headers, rotating ones, hee) are a treat. I love opening the DB page and finding my favorite actors in the headers, always good to see beautiful faces.

Hello all:

Today is my son's 27th birthday. Every year I hope and pray that God will give me a present by healing my son, and every morning I study my son's behavior etc to see if he's changed or improved. I listen for his voice. I do believe God's working and whatever happens, whatever I see, all will be well. As Julian of Norwich wrote, "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."

I'm saying all this and I feel so immature saying this but there is such a great joy in realizing the end of a story will be a happy one. To me, this is such a profound thing for my life and for my drama-viewing. Maybe I've gotten old but I can only endure all the angst and trials the characters endure if I know things'll turn out well. During the first week of its broadcast, I made the mistake one day of looking at ​an interview about "Still Loving You," the daily on KBS World TV on YouTube.

In the interview, I found out (no spoiler) the ending of the drama. Pretty much. Those Kdrama interviews and synopses can reveal a lot. So I know who will be marrying who in this drama . Sometimes I leave a drama when the characters' pain becomes too much, but because of the interview and synopsis, I can endure all the trials the characters are going through. There's a great peace in having read the end of the book so to speak. Upshot of all this: I'm not worrying too much about the trials the heroine in "Still Loving You" is going through. It will all turn out well. And I have to believe that all will turn out well for my son as well.

Currently judging some writing contests and had to wade through a writer's depiction of black conversation. The blackcent, the vocabulary, ah me. I was gentle with the writer but I did kinda roll my eyes while reading it.

Watching and loving: Rebel. Angst time, but the story has been so unpredictable in so many ways that I'm loving it. This entire thing has the greatness and vibe of Six Flying Dragons.

Tomorrow With You: I'm dreading the vice-president's attempt at corporate take-over. But if he's attempting it, shouldn't our time-traveler know about the takeover since he reads newspapers from the future?

Voice: Uhm...I like this but it doesn't grab me as much as it should.

Good Manager: Fun, although it has so many storylines and characters that it seems choppy at times.

Innocent Defendant: The villain is more interesting than the hero, which is a problem. The hero is merely a victim and nothing else. Of course I've had a crush on the actor who plays the villain since forever. So there's that.

Have a great weekend, all.

I repeat this over and over,
"It is all going to work out.
It is NOT going to work out like you think it will.
But it is all going to work out."

I pray for your son and for strength and comfort for you.

Thank you. It's hard at time but it definitely helps one's mind and one's spirit to expect good. As Browning said, "There's a kindheartedness at the center of the universe." I have to believe that all will turn out well.

Carole -

Sending birthday greetings to your son. May he have a great day and a wonderful 27th birthday! ..... And yes, may all be well indeed.

Ooo, the Six Flying Dragons comment piqued my interest. I'm looking forward to Rebel. I've certainly been hearing/reading positive things about it.

Have a great weekend also!

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes. I totally believe wishes affect the cosmos.

Tons of Gravitas in Rebel. And nicely unpredictable. I didn't recognize our Gil Dong at first. I kept saying, "Who is that? I know this guy?" Then, voila! Realized it was my big crush in SFD. Am so happy he has a lead role.

Happy Birthday to your son! I'm sending up prayers that he'll get better.

As for knowing the ending, I'm almost the same way. I always tend to read the last page of a book first--not only to know if it ends happily, but to know if the characters have grown from their description on the back cover. Similarly, I like knowing that a drama will end happily. But if I read the end or learn the end right in the middle, in all the angst, I'm usually more likely to drop it if it's still airing. "eh, I know they'll end up happy, maybe I'll tune in for the end then. But I don't want to watch angst-buckets. So until then, I'm out." That's kinda my thought process.

Oh wow, i'm just like that. I was happily watching Nirvana, and being totally happy that I was at last enduring a Chinese period piece...and then I made the dumb mistake of looking at the episode synopses. After that, I couldn't watch it anymore.

Oh, and thank you so much for your birthday wishes to my Gabe.

Happy Birthday to your son, Carole :).

I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Please be well and take care.

Thanks so much. Hope you and your sisters are doing well. Happy creativity!

We are doing all right :). Thanks for asking :)!

Prayers for you and your son. Hang in there. You never know what discoveries can be made at any time and I personally believe that God can do anything. Easier to say than to live, so sending lots of hugs your way.

Happy 27th birthday to your son, Carole ~

I started K-dramas with City Hunter about 6 or 7 months ago, so I'm fairly new to dramaland.

But something's been bothering me since City Hunter. Lee Min Ho's character was clearly a 'hero' in the traditional sense, but all of his wealth and riches came from the illegal drugs and arms trade conducted by his adoptive father in other countries! How come nobody has anything to say about this?

I've noticed this trend in Korean dramas. Off the rop in The K2, the man killed plenty of people abroad, including an innocent police officer in Spain (opening of ep 1, the man was just doing his job - guarding the daughter of a Korean politician), but not once was he condemned for it. So long as he didn't kill a fellow Korean, all was clearly, forgiven.

Off the top of my head, I remember that in The K2*
(don't know why it became off the rop)

Speaking of a Lee Min Ho drama, I was surprised that in Legend of the Blue Sea his mother never found out he had become a conman...

Haha is that so? I dropped legend of the blue sea around half way through.

I got the impression she had figured it out, but didn't want to beat her son up over it knowing what a hard life he had.

Drugs allowed to be sold to any country except My own Country. Such patriotism. It brought into frame the notion of Good Terrorists and Bad Terrorists. It was a revenge drama and i found no heroic in that c-grade nonsense.

Precisely! Thank you for putting it in perspective. Good terrorists and bad terrorists. My point exactly. A hero for some, the son of a group in organised crime to others. As one of the 'others', I have a fundamental problem with such shows.

If you're looking for the bad guy to get their comeuppance in a K-Drama, you may be hard pressed to find it. It's a really frustrating issue for me. I could kind of understand it in a sageuk if they haven't taken a lot of liberties with history--which is one of the reasons sageuks piss me off half the time--but I really don't get it in an original work. The worse offenders are those who completely gloss over the fact that the evil character has been a total #@*%! and the last episode has them being all happy. Argh!

Have you seen Boys Over Flowers yet?

Is Lee Min Ho's character a hero in the tradition sense?

I was so sure he was an anti-hero with a few sold "average" morals.

Annyong Beanies!

This week is a bless! I watched so many good dramas & figured out so many funny zanny hurt-my stomach laughed stocks!

GOBLIN
I CAN'T MOVE ON! HOW? HOW?
ost stay with me punch still hanging on my dead brain for 2weeks! this song seriously genius! Hazy mysterious & beautifully fits our deokgebi!
all skits about goblin make me excited & click baited everything, Gag concert deokgebi, RM Sukjin Nose Goblin, Kwangsoo same Lanvin coat w/ Gong Yoo, how I move on??
*this drama may not be the best written, but to be the "special drama" doesn't need best formulas, the reaper goblin, ost, the witty banter, jokes & fashion, the daily routine of watching them , all that enough to bewitching me & the rest of us. See u again, u won't drink the tea rite?

WEIGHTLIFTING FAIRY KIM BOK JOO
I admit I'm wrong, very wrong. I used to be fed up of Nam Joo Hyuk, (dont ask why), I tune to 4times ep1, & can't continue. until that day, I pushed myself & after ep 4/5, especially after they bcm couple, OMO I go crazy lalaland with them!
Seriously I m so disappointed why the writer makes them fall in love at ep 11?
not since EP 2? WHY?

RUNNING MAN EP 338
Seriously, if u fan of this lovely loyal group 7012, u shud watched this!
is GEM! I, personally have stopped watched since 2016, I was busy & kind of bored of them apart of 3 group always, but this ep, I laughed, get adrenaline pump again at the end game, & the member seems try their very hard to win as well! u can tell! It feels like RM REBORN back to 2010 again!

LOVE ME IF U DARE
HAHA, i know, last year this drama was fuzzy waazzy and make its own hallyu wave in OT DB, i missed them as couple & partner in crime, shit, I want moreee of this cakes..

GENTLEMAN WALGYU TAILOR
Tbh, i only watched the rich family part lol, and so sad of them being bankrupt, but the most stupid charc arc is Jiyeon gold digger, I tot she is half want better life forherself half love her husband, but No, mm, the moment her husband family went down, she immediately left him to her friend house... I don't even know why i invest my time in her story arc tho haha..

lastly, can lovely beanies give me suggest & review:
- i want a good revenge/money hunger sort of drama (not below 2011, it'll be too old haha)
- cute not boringg fluffy and mixed not just lovee drama (like kim bok joo)
i watched sassy & dream high already

I wanna try watching :
*I remember you (since beanies said is good)
*hwarang.. how about this?
*nightlight ...anyone??

I'm not usually into revenge dramas, but the Princess' Man had revenge and romance. Perfect.

Cute and not boring: Hwarang started out like that but became bogged down with the love triangle. Instead try Chief Kim. It's crazy funny. I also liked Beautiful Gong Shim.

Reply 1997 and 1988 for cute+family and friendship+romance.

Second Princess' Man. Also had one of the strongest female leads on television, and I don't mean just Korean TV, but globally.
Beautiful show. Strongly recommend (by me, at least). It's not about hunger for money though.

3rd on princess man!! MCW was so awesome in it! I normally don't watch sageuks but I really enjoyed this one.

Good revenge drama - Try Nice Guy. Giant is my favourite but long episodes, but very worth it to watch. If you dont mind sageuk, Princess Man and Empress Ki probably good choices. I like female centric revenge drama , but not so much on prime time drama. So I choose daily drama instead.

Night Light imo not that great, it could be a boring to watch depends on what are you looking for. Try Empire of Gold instead.

Secret imo actually a good watch. my all time favourite too.

Secret is a great revenge drama. As long as you accept that the logic is perfectly make sense in their messy world. And it was a drama that almost fully operates on feelings. It's sweeping in all its craziness and makes you completely forgetting the faulty logic anf occasional plot holes.

Yes agree with you. I was more into the characters,than the plot. The acting from the main casts also great.

Nice Guy is my gem!

Green Rose based on The Count of Monte Cristo. Great Revenge Drama.

heartless city

@wishful toki
i watched PM, yes its very nice hehe^^

oh yes i want Chief Kim, but i will wait till it completed.
I try ep 1 BGongShim, but I can't get thru,hmm.. maybe next time.. thank u for ur suggest!
Actually tried Jealousy Incarnate, but still stuck at ep 2 also kekek^^

@Sera Ms Temper
Hi Sera! remembered we used to be huge fan of LMIUD, lol.

Oh yes empire of gold, thank u!

I watched Midas, is a bit dull but i enjoyed silently watching, not so much fanfare inside but is okay. Is it Nightlight like Midas?

Empress Ki will be full of dedication, I finished SFD, HWAJEUM, TDR, QSD, it drained me. I will find time :)

Yeah remember the old good time kekeke. Midas probably a bit better than Night Light. I suggest you try it first, i loved the sismance between the female leads.

Yes Empress Ki needs a full dedication. Happy watching Empire of Gold. That one also my favourite.

Good Revenge Drama:

favorite dramas

Punch, Golden Cross, The Chaser, Syndrome. Syndrome is older and medical. I recommend Punch very highly

– cute not boringg fluffy and mixed not just lovee drama (like kim bok joo)

It's a C-Drama, but I liked Love O2O a.k.a. Just One Smile is Very Alluring.

*hwarang.. how about this?

Hwarang is good but a bit of a mess at the same time. It mixes humour and seriousness pretty well in the beginning but a lack of dept in the characters and pretty poor pacing prove somewhat annoying coming down to the end. It's a watch but not a must watch in my book. I started watching it for Park Seo Joon but happily found Park Hyung Sik in the process--yay upside!

Have you seen 38 Task Force (Police Unit 38)? money/revenge/hunger sort of drama, 2016

Definitely watch I Remember You. Good suspense n acting. Park Bo Gum was awesome

Not sure if i'm too late for this.. but I found Yong Pal my best revenge drama.

Joo won is the name to rely on.. that's no doubt. However, the drama itself does not deal with medical stuff as much as its name suggests. Kim Tae Hee is really good doing the vengeful role. Personally, this is my favorite sort-of-revenge drama.

Topic of unsatisfactory pre-produced dramas is quite hot these days. Currently rewatching What's Up again and I seem to remember it was pre-produced? Wasn't it? It's fantastic every time I rewatch it. It's magically good from every aspect imaginable. The story, the music, the directing, the casting, the characters, the small moments, the big moments, the beginning, the ending, everything.

I think it was pre-produced. I still can't believe the writer of Sandglass wrote What's up. I mean What's up is good - just so different from her other works?

And I'm wondering about two things too.

One, the director of What's Up, there is no other credit to his name on the net, is that correct? Or does anyone know any other of his works?

And number two,
the actor playing the harsh sunbae, he isn't listed in any of the sites naming the cast, but his role is much bigger and he acts much better than to be a one-time extra. Does anyone know who he is?

I wonder who is the director you are referring to. Director of What's up was Song Ji-won (2nd was Jang Mi-ja- both female) who was actually the writer Song Ji-na's younger sister. She worked as assistant director for 10 years and her dramas include 'Fashion 70', 'SeoDongYo', 'Painter of Wind', 'White Tower'.

Love What's Up, haven't seen it in a while.

Hi guys, I am having a bit of a Chinese Drama moment now, and am watching two series, PRINCESS WEIYOUNG and PERFECT COUPLE (Tiffany Tang is so cute!)

Can anyone recommend me any Chinese period/historical dramas with strong/epic romances? Thanks in advance!

Hmm, not particularly 'romantic', but Nirvana in Fire is the best Chinese historical drama I've seen, once you get into it.

Another one: Prince of Lan Ling. It has a sweet main couple like Princess Wei Young.

Oh, and the original Scarlet Heart (avoid the sequel like the plague).

Would love to hear other options. Anyone watching General and I?

I have to disagree on this one. Moon Lovers is an upgrade of the traditional kdramas. It's pure art. It was poetic and elegant. Kdramas productions have stagnated for quite sometime. Most of the dramas are too cheesy and poorly produced. The excessive flashbacks have intolerable. They could have just make those productions 12 episodes than use repetitive scenes.

I have the cversion. That is too outdated but that could work 10 years ago during the Taiwanese Fated To Love & Secret Garden Era.

Moon Lovers is phenomenal and I found such an amazing actor Lee Joon Gi. The best Korean Actor I've encountered so far. Though I would say Jang Hyuk and So Ji Sub are amazing too.

*Sorry Not Secret Garden.. I meant Meteor Garden.

@Akita: I think you misunderstood me. I was not referring to the Korean remake of the Chinese Scarlet Heart (Moon Lovers) but the second season of the Chinese Scarlet Heart (Scarlet Heart 2).

For the record, I love Lee Jun Ki and enjoyed Moon Lovers!

I'll second Prince of Lan Ling and Scarlet Heart.

I finished up General and I. It is solid without being fantastic. They didn't do a great job setting up the romance and the way it is filmed with slow motion and too much green screen took away from the drama but it is heavy on the romance.

Eternal Love/10 Mile Peach Blossom is excellent if you like fantasy. The pacing is fantastic and the story just zips a long.

The Journey of a Flower was my recent watch and I loved it.

I am watching the General and I - which seems like it's going to be an epic love story of sorts...I'm just a couple episodes in.

I loved the original Scarlet Heart - just don't watch the sequel, it was terrible.

How about Sound of the desert? I liked Scarlet Heart too.

I'll second the General and I. I haven't kept up on it, but I love it still (I just need more time). It's a very epic romance by the teens episodes.

I'm just gonna say that if you are watching General and I, watch for the journey, not the final payoff, because..... That's a recipe for disappointment

What?! Does it not end happily?! I'm not watching if she/he dies. I can't do that.

Wow.. Is General and I really good? It seems pretty well-received by international fans. But there are so many negative reviews on Weibo and Chinese netizens LOVE to bash it. I even see Wallace's own fans saying that it is crap. The Glory of Tang Dynasty and Yang Mi's Eternal Love: Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms,on the other hand, are gaining lots of positive reviews. And popularity wise, the two dramas totally overshadowed General and I in China. I was actually surprised to find out that General and I just wrapped up last week.. I thought it had already ended several weeks ago, because there was hardly any buzz anymore since TGoTD and EL: TMoPB joined the competition and started airing.

So who's watching Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms here? =D

Includes Spoilers

I really liked General and I. I think a lot of the bashing that the drama received was because the storyline varied at times from the novel. Having both read the translated version of the novel and watched the drama, with just a few exceptions, I actually preferred the drama over the novel.

The drama does end happily for the H and h. Both the novel and drama conclude the main storyline with a battle and a one on one fight between the H and the antagonist. In the novel the H defeats/kills the antagonist. However, in the drama H has to be saved by the h who causes the antagonist to fall to his death. In both versions the H/h become the king/queen of the newly united 4 kingdoms (in the novel the newly united kingdom was named Ting after the h, however, this aspect was not as clear in the drama).

I think people were also upset that no epilogue was provided in the drama showing the other 2 couples who had happy endings.

@Bwear I think fans just like to pile on. General and I is not a fantastic drama, but I've tried out plenty of C-dramas that were way worse so maybe their were expectations were not met. I actually think production issues like the way it was filmed, green screen use and perhaps AngelaBaby being just ok had something to do with it. (I mean she did get better.)

Having said that, Eternal Love is great so far but I'm only on episode 13 so there is plenty of time for it to go sideways but the acting, the way it was directed & the pacing are all very good.....so far.

I actually started off liking General and I, but I dropped it at episode 21. The pacing was just too slow for me. And I mean so many scenes were literally at a snails pace, and I like faster paced dramas. Some situations in the drama also seemed too implausible to keep my attention. I like Chinese historicals, but General and I was just not for me.

I'm really enjoying Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms though. My two complaints about it are that it leaves some story lines suspended for numerous episodes when I feel like they are central to the story. And then, some events are not completely clear - either that or the subtitles on DramaFever aren't doing a good job of conveying what they are really saying. But a great show otherwise!

I know. I haven't read the novel and I usually tend to avoid Xianxia genre (not really my favorite), so at first I was like.. HUH? What? I don't get what's going on..? Who is this dude? Who is that dude?

LOL.. I actually had to ask fellow live viewers on YouTube (Croton Mega Hit's Channel) to explain a few things to me that was making me confused (watching it with Chinese subtitles). One commentator was kindly enough to give me a better and clearer picture of the characters and the relationship chart. And after 20 episodes I finally understood why Mo Yuan and Ye Hua are kind of the same, but not the same, who Dong Hua, Tian Jun, Zhe Yan are and what their relationship and purpose is and so on. Also, why these folks have to be struck by thunder in order to level up LOL. Yea.. It took me a while to get the hang of the mythological elements haha. But I'm enjoying it to the fullest now!

BTW.. Is it just me or is Yang Mi back to her gorgeous days again like few years ago when she was absolutely stunning in Scheming Beauty? She is beautiful as Su Su and Bai Qian.. She has a very ethereal aura (surprisingly), but also a subtle seductive fox-ey vibe (I think it's her round alluring eyes?) that really suits the character perfectly because Bai Qian IS a fox. All the ladies are like super duper pretty tho. Like even Ye Hua's mom is gorgeous! She reminds me of Sung Yu-ri and Lee Young-ae..

I just finished watching General and I and highly recommend it. Great romance with a wonderful H and a highly intelligent h. My only minor complaint is that instead of 10 minutes of flash backs at the end would have loved an epilogue featuring the 3 couples and the H/h cute son.

I also really liked Sound of the Desert which has a great romance triangle. The h ended up with the one I was rooting for but you do feel a little bad for the other guy (haha who am I kidding - he got what he deserved for being a noble idiot).

I would recommend you Shan Shan comes to eat/Boss and me and since you like Tiffany My Sunshine. It two rom com sweet and fresh with beautiful handsome and talented actresses and actors.

You should really watch Love O20 which is a university modern rom com with fantasy elements. It's a loveable drama.

IF you like fairy-wuxia, I really really like Novaland. And for adventure wuxia Chinese paladin 3 and Eternal Love which is aired now. Eternal Love