Open Thread #499

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Hello

this has been such a ..wtf week cause half my times goes messing with some bills I had to turn into credit bills then send again then change numbers, etc etc I´m like "Help!" accounting is too friggin confusing. Then stuff kept happening like I broke some glasses in our cafeteria and locked up my colleague in a tower. Yup, you heard right
then Koit & Laura didn´t qualify for the final but the awesome meme they turned Koit´s glance into cheered me up a little. People are hilarious! ROFL.
Watched Rebel (no can do this, enough stress! It got the better of me at ep 2 and a half).
Suspicious Partner makes me sad cause I love Nam Ji Hyun (Bok Shil!!!) but Ji Chang Wook is bothering me. I never really liked him and I cant seem to start liking mis acting now either.
I also had some seriously bizarre and scary dreams and I think there were some drama characters in them. Have you had drama-based nightmares? it´s freaky, I tell you.

I remember Captain Yoo Si Jin appeared on my dreams sitting on the edge of the pool smilling sweetly to me. I was really not gonna wake up.

That's not a nightmare, that's a nice dream.

Right it is the opposite, didnt read carefully duh. I somehow read it as drama based dreams.. talk about being lame hahaha

one persons´ nice dream can be someone elses nightmare. Maybe there is a beanie somewhere whose worst fear is to be alone with a smiling imaginary soldier. (now that I say it, it DOES sound kind of creepy)

Let me add one.

Several days ago, I saw Gong Yoo in my dream (after being extremely jealous over my friend who dreamed about Park Hyung Shik making an approach to her). But the time was wasted as I just had my mouth opened seeing GY walking back and forth in front of my house (He even had 3 different styles of clothes!). The nightmare part was when I Just realized I should run to him, he'd already gone. I don't know when I will be able to see him again *cry a river

Sounds like a very eventful week.

I've had a few drama based nightmares, but thankfully, I can never remember them when I wake up.

well I cant exactly remember who they were either, but I know I had some characters who were actually the good guys in dramas forcing me to eat earthworms, but the earthworms talked, and then the table self-ignited and people laughed. I think one of the characters was Philip Lee´s doctor from Faith. But maybe it wasnt a nightmare? Maybe he was trying to cure me of something?

Wow, that is detailed. I usually don't dream at all, unless I wake up in the middle of the night or early morning and force myself to go back to sleep, which I'm usually in a coma all night long. I have dreamed that my husband morphed into an actor though--but that was definitely NOT an nightmare.

I hope he turned into Park Bo gum at least.

It was actually Yeo Jin Goo, which is terrible because I am old enough to be his mother. So maybe it was a nightmare...

I'm actually surprised in a good way by Ji Chang Wook in Suspicious Partner. My first intro to him was The K2 which I thought was a hot mess. I feel I need to watch Healer now after this.

Yes, please

Omg Healer was amazing. It's one of the dramas that I keep recommending all my non-drama-watcher friends. Please do watch it!!

I'll try. Thx.

Healer is great! I loved Ji Chang Wook in that. Probably watched it like 5x.

Healer was really great and far superior to K2. An interesting well-written story, good cast and direction.

I second this...and yes, K2 was a hot mess.

Yes watch Healer! Its a great show.

Nam Ji Hyun and Choi Tae Joon are worth it! I never really JCW's fan but I love the other two!

Choi Tae Joon is my new puppy! I always love him but after seeing him in SP, he is so weirdly funny and when he laughed at his own joke, I laughed because of his laugh.

That awkward laugh is strangely contagious

Lol ya.. u can literally see hahahahaha in captions near him ??

And Bong Hee's weird look to him because of his weird jokes and laugh. ???

BTS must be full of laugh, because Chang Wook-Tae Joon are real life best friend and I think they have a lot of fun while filming.

I am going to wait for the day when Eun Hyuk will give Ji Wook kiss on his cheek and Ji Wook get annoyed.

I love Nam Ji Hyun she's part of my cutie list (yes I have that kind of list)

OMG his laugh is really something ! He is weird but the good kind of weird ha.

She is cute and her smile is very pretty. I recently found her IG and already stalked her pics lol

His weird and awkward laugh is truly contagious.

I'm stalking her too ! *high five*

You are tempting me, Sera. I do want to watch Choi Tae Joon *sigh*

I dont think it is 'our definition' good story like Radiant Office but maybe it is alright for a good laugh and cuteness. I also dont feel like I love this drama, but I love Nam Ji Hyun and Choi Tae Joon enough to at least stay for some episodes for them?

I was impressed with CTJ in Missing Nine but that one turned out to be such a mess. Maybe I'll wait for his next drama ?

Choi Tae Joon is going to be my next puppy! I liked him enough before, and although I didnt finished Missing 9, he was impressive in there. I hope in the absence of many actors because of enlistment later, he will have a chance to be the lead.

I love CTJ in SP too! He is so awkwardly adorable and affectionate in the show, constantly angling for the bromance with JW, who steadfastly refuses to give it to him. Awww...

Wow that's some week you've had there Redfox! My week has mostly been tripping over things, and some peope suddenly talking to me again after the whistle blowing I did two weeks ago.

I haven't had drama basen nightmares I think. Though I did have one where I ended up in a strange mix og 1n2d and Running man + horror houses. I have had a couple of nightmares that could easily been made into a cheesy horror movie or drama I suppose though :P

Drama based nightmares? While I was watching Voice I was worried but thank goodness no. Had a few nice dreams but the best one by far was when I had to work along side Song Joong Ki for some random thing. I was sitting next to him and talking to him and he was smiling his cheeky smile... omo I was so pissed when my kid woke me up that morning. Lol.

*Jealous* I've had several dreams that I'm falling off my bed of doom but not even once about Song Joong Ki :(.

Oh I hate the ones when you are falling or being chased and then you wake up suddenly before you hit the bottom.

I tried really really hard to go back and sleep after that dream but no such luck. Also Never seen him again sadly! Hehe.

Oh gosh I hate it too and most of the time I'm fully aware that I'm dreaming.

I'm kind of a lucid dreamer and sometimes I have some kind of control over it. When it gets too scary I'd start with the Hail Mary then it's over. Goodbye Dr. Hannibal Lecter lol.
I should've listen to my mom when she told me not to watch it. Scariest dream I've had in my life.

I did actually have a nightmare because of Voice, though I could never fully remember them when I woke up haha. I think it was the episode where the old woman was crucified that gave me the nightmare. Just the horrific way she was murdered, and how the serial killer even thought to give some aesthetic, really disturbed me, especially since the episode or so previous the real doppelganger was found dead and wrapped in plastic in the same cupboard.

*shudder* Yes Voice had so much material for nightmares it's practically a miracle I made it through without one. Im glad you don't remember yours very well!

I dont fly or fall but I go rafting and it is scary cause it is always the river from hell basically, very rough. a friend of mind explained the dream as actively looking for risks and confrontations, which sounds accurate.

Not exactly drama-based but i think ive had dreams of the Battle Royale kind. Glad i cant remember lol

I rarely -- if ever -- have nightmares related to things I watch, but after an episode of Tunnel a couple weeks ago, I dreamed someone was trying to strangle me to death... O.O It was a really detached dream, though. Like, I wasn't scared at all, because I knew I was going to fool them and get away. And I did. And part of the time I was more watching it happen than experiencing it myself. But still, it was really weird.

LOL, that´s seriously offbeat. your brain must have drawn some kind of parallel to VR games, where you know what you are experiencing is just the film that runs in the VR glasses.

I saw Ji Chang Wook in an interview and he's so much fun.. I started liking him. Am glad he's gotten a chance to do a rom-com. I hear you re: Rebel but after the initial chapters, the stress lessens. I liked the first chapters better than the recent ones. I can imagine those dramacharacters appearing in dreams. The vindictive second lead, the avenger, the serial killer... all good archetypes to use and drama makes them handy.

You need to watch him on Running Man. He was such a ball of clumsy cute.

redfox -

You certainly had an eventful week! I'm hoping next week will be a lot more calm and less stressful for you.

I have to say, your drama nightmare was quite interesting. I don't recall ever having a drama-related nightmare. I'm boring that way.

I did have a drama-based nightmare of sorts recently that I can actually remember some details of. At least, it was nightmarish at first but had a weird ending?

So I never watched Scholar, but in my dream there was a Lee Jun-ki vampire and he was after me pretty badly, in a predator-stalking-his-prey kind of way, although I eventually lost him. And then a chase happened (by a different guy? vampire? who looked oddly like Kim Min-jae) in a weird house where the stairs would go sideways, upside down, (think Labyrinth the movie), which wound up on the roof and I was forced to jump down . . . Onto a floating bed of grass that was rowed by Lee Jun-ki, who was seemingly by then cured. And then we rowed through a pretty lake with flowers in the water and blossoms everywhere like a scene straight out of a sageuk with soft lighting and everything, so like I said, weird?

I woke up before anything more interesting could happen, sadly. Maybe Lee Jun-ki was still a vampire? And it was his odd way of luring in the prey before going in for the kill. I'll never know haha.

odd. if teacher was in MY dream I would be the one chasing him around and trying to imitate the awesome ninja that he is.

I forgot! individualist Ji-young! why was this a short? though I liked the aura of the first ep more, I did enjoy the whole li´l thing. the ending was slightly been-there-done-that though. but in general the heroine was refreshing.

JUST the other night I had my first k-celeb dream. I was responsible for giving Lee Hong-Ki a tour of Texas. And he hooked up with my married friend, which was awkward. Then I took him downtown and we met my buddies who have a band, and they wanted nothing to do with each other. It was actually an unusually tame dream for me, I usually do dream of scary haunted houses and stuff.

bet it´s a calm before the storm

This is something i feel @kaybee would enjoy

OT Week 14! Wow! I’m wondering how long I can keep this up. Will I start running out of stories? Will you get bored with them? Just tell me and I’ll stop! I just like lurking too—something to do besides refreshing my Facebook page when I’m bored, or distracted.

The second “Freethekimchi.com” meeting is in the books. I am loving our little group more and more. I put some of the blog up (food) but the drama part is still in progress-- hopefully, I'll get it written tonight! And it is mapped to the website now, and not just a wordpress url. These people have never seen a Korean drama (for the most part) and it’s been so fun seeing their initial reactions!

My hubby and I started Another Oh Hae Young this week. It started promising, but he has since dropped it because he thinks it is over-acted and can’t stand yelling all the time, which Regular Oh Hae Young does a lot of starting episode 8. (Also, he can’t believe she got the best actress award, and promptly went to re-watch Goblin where he thought KGE was better. Omo! I love both these actresses so much!) I’m in episode 14 and happy that it’s finally happier—but not looking forward to a final heart wrenching twist. I’m getting used to the “middle melo” part of all these dramas, forced separation to make the viewer more invested when the leads finally get together. And why is there a scene in the past 5 episodes of him lying in the same pool of blood? I’m a little over that. I’ll finish it because they are so cute together, there is great kissing and passion, and their chemistry is amazing.

Because we did watch this together, we did have some great convos about it before he dropped it halfway. Here’s one:

When Oh Hae Young goes to the bridge and throws her wedding photos in the river...

Me: I would totally have done that if you broke up with me the day before my wedding.

Hubby: Really? I would have kept them.

Me: I would have dumped them and gone to Korea to find Gong Yoo.

Hubby: You wouldn’t even know about him if it weren’t for me.

Me: True. *racking my brain to see if there would be any way I would have known about Korean dramas without my husband*

Me: No, wait a minute. I would have dated J. (a guy I was kind of seeing when my hubby met me), and his mom is Korean! Yeah, I’m sure I would have found out about Gong Yoo, it’s fated.

Hubby: Well, it’s a good thing I didn’t break up with you then. If Gong Yoo married you, he probably wouldn’t be the actor he is now. You would have made him follow you back to the US, cook for you, work out, and stay at home to raise the kids.

Me: And I would be cussed out by every Korean girl on the planet.
And probably some other nationalities too. Coffee Prince would not have happened. OOOH, the “butterfly effect” is massive!

Hubby: And I still would have still kept the photos.

Me: *sigh*

Moral of the story: My husband is the romantic one, not me.

Second moral: Gong Yoo...

...would probably hate being married to me, truly, because my husband is totally right. I would absolutely make Gong Yoo into a trophy husband. ;-)

Third moral: It’s too bad my hubby dropped Oh Hae Young; no more fun conversations about breakups and whatifs.

Aw this story made me smile a lot?

hahahaha who wouldn't want to have GY as a trophy husband??

Also, when I started watching OHY I only kept on watching it because of how purrrty Eric is, but the drama managed to pull me in slowly. I totally agree with your husband, though, there are times in which I just wanted to slap everyone, myself included!
The pool of blood thing does get overused and it gets pretty old BUT....you're almost there! Keep enjoying their chemistry, that's what kept me happy in the end

Just finished watching Radiant Office and currently watching Secret Romance. Both shows reminded me that some actors are pretty much typecast these days, Ha Suk Jin and Cha Jin Wook respectively. Just started Suspicious Partner and we get to see Ji Chang Wook in a non action role, and it's pretty awesome to see so far. Who do you think is typecast and who do you think does versatile really well?

Seo In Guk is one of the most versatile ones for sure.

I am currently watching Pasta and while I don't think Lee Sun Gyun is a bad actor, he's the type that doesn't morphe into his characters. He's basically just himself, but thrown in different scenarios of life. I have watched Miss Korea, This Week My Wife Will Have Affair, and Coffee Prince. He's more asshole-y in Pasta but he carries himself the same way, if it makes sense? He also has similar hair and styling. Also the same with Gong Hyo Jin, she's really typecasted in dramalandl - she's the ultimate Candy. And no I haven't watched them doing movies to make different judgement.

Seo In Guk on the other hand becomes his character in his dramas, he blends into them and made them alive. Is it because he's not typecasted? or maybe he just always strives to pick different roles in his dramas? Boy I miss the boy and his talent!

On LSG and GHJ- they are typecasted in dramaland. See their movies to see if they are actually versatile or not. I think they are probably chose a comfortable role in kdrama, but they always did it awesomely in my opinion, even the roles are not that much different from one to another. Because of that, I will say no to their drama.

Funny you should name Lee Sun Gyun and Gong Hyo Jin as they both are known for their natural acting. That is instead of disappearing into their roles they make their roles themselves. They are the characters they play. I heard some call this method acting. I think this is very true for LSG even in his movie roles, even when playing a corrupt police in A Hard Day. I am not as familiar with GHJ's movies but I suspect this could be true for her also.

Whenever I think method actor, Heath Ledger always springs to mind, especially with his Joker. The stories about how he dove so deep into that character are crazy.

I've only seen Seo In Guk in two of his works: Shopping King Louis and Master's Sun. He was night and day in those two. I've been meaning to watch Squad 38 for the longest while, and it seems like watching at least one of the Reply series is required viewing, but with all the drams coming out these days, it's tough to get around to the "required viewing collection." He seems worth it though, so I guess I'll bump in up ahead of the line.

I've only ever seen Lee Sun Gyun in Coffee Prince so I can't comment on him outside of that. I found him good in that though. I've heard great things about This Week My Wife Will Have an Affair so I don't mind watching that. I think I get what you're saying about having one gear for different roles.

Your description of Seo In Guk's acting sounds like he's a method actor maybe? Don't worry, he'll be back in no time!

Actually there are some actors which are versatile - but most of them either at secondary or supporting territory. For leading men - Yoo Ah In and Seo In Guk are among the few that I see as versatile actor.

I'd say Jung Kyung Ho and Song Joong Ki are versatile. Lee Jong Suk is definitely typecast. And then there are actors that give the same nuance to every role they play even when on paper the characters are supposed to be different, like Yoo Ah In or Kimura Takuya for example. Not necessarily bad actors, it's more like their own charisma as an actor overwhelm the characters' charisma.

Haha, I have to admit, when Yoo Ah-in and Cheon Ho-jin have scenes together in Chicago Typewriter, I get such Six Flying Dragons flashbacks because both their characters feel so weirdly similar to me.

I don't think Lee Jong Suk is typecast, but rather that he gives off a certain "it" factor vibe that is consistent in all his characters. However I like his coolness, so I want him to be cool no matter what role he's playing :)

I agree that Sukkie isn't typecasted.
Does his "it" factor show often in School 2013

Oh, the Lee Jong Suk love is strong here. I've only ever seen him in Pinocchio and I only got half way in and never finished. I think it's because I found it too "heavy" at the time. I should finish that. Having said that, I don't quite get the love that he gets. I think the way K-Dramas present men/male actors, they often play up their sex appeal and as one of principle driving forces of the show. I did see a GIF of him the other day and he looked cute though. Reminds me of the Ji Soo love in that way. Maybe I might come around in the future.

Kimura Takuya, yes. He's typecast and has shown very little desire to break out of that image. I think he missed that window after Sora Kara.

Haven't heard of him till today. Looked him up. I guess he has little incentive to beak out of being typecast given his lengthy filmography. I guess he does that image/role damn well?!

Namgoong Min is also very versatile. Blew me away in both Girl who Can See Smells and Remember: Sons War as the psychopathic murderer. Then went and transitioned like it was nothing into comedy with Beautiful Gong Shim and Chief Kim.

Argh! I still have to finish Chief Kim. Which one of his psychopath roles would you recommend above the other?

Given his depiction of Chief Kim, the way how I envision him playing a psychopath is twisted funny.

My list of versatile actors include Seo In Guk, Park Bo Gum, and Ryu Jun Yeol, and Kang Ha Neul (so ready for him to be in a leading role!!) - they transform their characters and make each one stand out on their own. Actors I think are typecasted are Lee Jong Suk, Kim Woo Bin, Lee Min Ho... they just give the same vibe in every role they play and I don't really see a huge difference in characterization between characters. I do love Woo Bin a lot though!!

Lee jong suk is not type cast he plays every role with a ease that gives life to the character he plays..

I second you on the Kang Ha Neul love. I've only ever seen him in MLSHR though. I haven't seen much of Lee Min Ho, but I'll ignorantly say I agree. ?

Who I think are really typecast is the mother and mother-in-law characters. I always know, oh, it's Eric's flighty Oh Hae Young mother, she'll be married four times in this drama too. There are the dedicated but tragic mom types. The arguing but affectionate mothers. And then I always know when they bring out the Secret Garden mom that she's going to be tough as nails.

The mother and mother in law characters can be trope-tastic.

Hi Beanies !

Since I have free time I watched lots of dramas :D

Chicago Typewriter : Yoo Jin Oh is the cutest ghost I have ever seen. I'm glad we finally saw more of the trio past relationship. Baek Tae Min... I want to be part of the drama just to reveal his psychotic abuser personality.

Man to Man : I fear for the day Do Ha will learn that Guard Kim is an agent. They are sweet but they make me uneasy at the same time. Woon Kwang Oppa will not let him go easily.

Father is Strange : Please, can someone help Jung Hui ? He is sometimes egoist and one of the siblings could show him how live with a family. The elder brother seems threatened by Jung Hui's presence and keeps making remarks. If Ra Young end up losing her job, she should work for Dispatch ! She knows all her siblings' dating history. I'm never tired to say how cool Hye Young is ! I only hope she could tell her parents she's living with her lover.

Suspicious Partner : The shows needs to find a balance between his comedy and law/thriller side. I didn't like how Bong Hee's accusation was handled. I like Chang Wook & Bong Hee dynamic and Cha Tae Ho's character for now (bromance~).

Ruler : Master of the Mask : I need a really good sageuk this year aaaannnd I don't know if Ruler is what I need. L shouted a bit too much for certain scenes and Yoon So Hee...well I hope she will improve. I laughed at the part Pyunsoohwe’s leader was taking care of his plant in the garden. It's like they took the cliché scene of the villain in his HQ taking care of his bonsai while listening to their underling's report. I laughed at the part Pyunsoohwe’s leader was taking care of his plant in the garden. It's like they took the cliché scene of the villain in his HQ taking care of his bonsai while listening to their underling's report. The good part : Yoo Seung Ho Kim So Hyun, the King Commandant and his son because I have a thing for swordsmen and loyal guards.

Happy Friday :D

I hope we get 4 epi CT this week to make up for last week ? And yessss Tae Min, I cannot forget what he did to his cute cat!

Father Is Strange -Are you behind of last week's episodes because I am afraid to tell you any spoiler? LOL I agree RY will be cooler to work as reporter, she is like a stalker ? She probably can expose many celebrities dating news ? HY is cool lawyer, and I think her character kinda refreshing for weekend drama. Or maybe female lead character in general. Lee Yuri normally will pick up the roles that suit with herself, but she managed to make each character different from each other. I want to see her play a wicked and manipulative queen in sageuk one day. I am reminded how she cameo three times in Perfect Wife with 3 different characters lmao

Ruler - I am only watching for those two main leads. Not really into the story but I hope it will be good drama. L is not bad but still need to polish his acting because some parts seems to be too unnatural, but his efforts are there. Yoon Soo Hee - I wish I can skip her scene. She basically always show us her 'lazy acting'. With L, we can at least criticize which parts we think he can do better, but with YSH - I dont know if it necessary to wish her to improve.

I want CT to be a slow burn but I want more at the same time arrgh.

I watch Father is Strange on KBSWorld youtube so I'm always 2 episodes behind. Lee Yuri cracked me up with her cameo HAHA. Her character is one of my favorite female weekend drama character along with the eldest sister in What Happened To My Family.

I don't want to be harsh on actors & actresses. I was neutral about YSH before Ruler, she is an average actress that doesn't seem to suit sageuk. But I really hope for her sake and for us viewers that she will improve please.

Lee Yuri and Kim Hyun Joo - they always pick up good drama or even the drama is not that good, their character will always be good. They are awesome actressess, too bad they don't do (or maybe didn't get fair chance) to appear more during weekday drama. If they got top award actress, it is not because of their fame mostly, but because they earned it.

I watched 2-3 variety shows where Lee Yu Ri explains her carrier and I have a lot of respect for her. She's also funny and cool in real life :D

I wanted to watch an other weekend drama starring Kim Hyun Joo but it was a melo I think. Even if I like melodramas 50 episodes is too much.

Kim Hyun Joo's I Have A Lover was not a normal weekend family drama but if you can invest your emotions with it, it will give a fun ride. KHJ was amazing played dual roles. Although it didnt got high rating, but her performance was praised a lot.

Yes Lee Yuri is so cool. I wish she will be a Running Man's guest again in the future.

Yes it was I Have A Lover ! I might watch it when my heart will be ready XD

I agree for an other appearance in Running Man !

So you are behind last week's epi,I will not spoil it for you ?

That's nice sometimes I don't read What We're Watching to avoid spoilers .

I never saw the charms of the actor who plays the ghost in Typewriter. Saw him here and there in a few dramas. But now he's won me over. And of course my sweetie Yoo Ah In is in it. A serious flake in real life.. So am onboard. As for Man V Man, it's not on viki or dramafever and i'm kinda feeling deprived.

@ManxMan-- Tell me about it! Still waiting for Netflix to give me the first 8 episodes!

When I look up Man to Man on Netflix it says "Season 1 Coming June 10th". If this is true we have to wait until the WHOLE series is done before it goes to Netflix :(

*crying a river* :(

huh??? I watch it on netflix every Fri&Sat! I'm amazed/confused Latin America is ahead for the first time ever

Yeah, I saw that too. I can't believe Netflix makes us wait until the show is finished to see it in the USA after saying it would be posted in 2 parts. I'm so mad!

i'm so confused with netflix.. I live in Mexico right now, but I'm using my younger sister's Netflix account and she's in the US. It's interesting to know that I can see if I so wished MxM every week and she can't. I didn't know that it wasn't updated weekly every where

Man to Man is on kissasian! No need to be deprived :D

I found GKP just cute before but in CT he literally shines. I'm a big fan of Yoo Ah In and read most of his interviews. He seems chill and is not afraid to say what is on his mind.

I first saw YAI in the movie Antique Bakery and i thought he was cute, but not much more than that.

hi @ mango !

everything u watched is what I watched to starting my new session. because, God know I have been in major drama withdrawal since Goblin, weightlifting & chief kim. Sounds a long break huh? haha.

Except Chicago Typewriter. I'm hardcore to the bone YOO AH IN's fans, so I need my calm the f pill & start when it ends. Yeah I'm so tempted. Is my oppa good? (delulu)

Ruler : Master of the Mask
I second u, and for me, this is what I need. I know my bias game is too strong this time, YSeungHo is my everything, but this drama connects with me & I loved it all.
YSH in big part, his charc is so witty, cute, clueless, innocent and dumb, but mix with his deity's fate as poise wise man as Crown Prince. is not that darkk to the bone aka Wang Soo style.
and YES, King commander's son and him is perfect duoooo!!

the rest I finger crossed will be rock n roll

Hi chanel boy :D

I was a bit in a slump before Chicago Typewriter started airing. I understand you !

I'm a hardcore Yoo Ah In's fan too and I can't wait for his drama to end haha. The plot takes time to "take off" but once you're on board you won't be deceived. Well that's the case for now.

Yoo Seung Ho's Crown Prince not being dark is a good point for me. The drama will get dark later and I don't want to miss cute interactions with Kim So Hyun's character. His idealistic personality might be what could break him in the future because he can't do everything he wants for his people.

Did you watch last week's episodes for FIS? Shan't spoil it for you, but suffice to say, the shit has hit the fan!

Not yet. I'm watching FIS on KBSWorld youtube channel which is always one week behind. It seems like something big happened :o

I agree about "Ruler", I checked it out for YSH because I've wanted to see him in a good drama. However I don't think that "Ruler" will be it. I struggled to finish ep 2 (or should I say eps 3 and 4?), I haven't finished it yet. The premise just seems so makjang, and the execution feels sort of juvenile.

YSH will remain one actor I look forward to seeing in a good drama, he remains the actor with one of the best gazes for me. I hope that his next drama will be modern set, and will be a good romance drama.

I might pickup "Ruler" later on, if the reviews are good in the end, but for now it is on hold because I simply can't get into it.

I like YSH so much in sageuk that it feels weird to see him in modern dramas.

I felt the show was quite juvenile for a story meant to be dark. I'm torn between having our cute couple interaction and the real deal with the conspirator's threat.

What's the problem with Yoon So Hee?

Happy weekend Beanies!

This has been such a stressful week for me. I had my very first medicine clinical exam earlier. I cried afterward because the examiner was quite mean, but he gave me a passing grade in the end, so it's all good.

I've since been de-stressing with KDramas, lol. Missing, sageuk, I watched THE PRINCESS' MAN, which I ended up liking quite a bit. What hooked me, though, was the OST. There were so many beautiful and wistful songs there.

For current dramas, I am watching Whisper, which I love, and Suspicious Partner, which I'm hoping will be fabulous. No SWDBS-levels of disappointment, please! Fingers crossed.

Quick question:

Does anyone know how to see the people you are following from your account page? I can't seem to figure it out.

We can't see who we're following yet, but they are working on it! Now, most of us just go to our notifications history and link to other beanie's sites through that.

Are you in medical school? It's great to see other medical people here!

Yes I am :D [Or, more like :'( ]

I can empathize! But it gets MUCH better. I've been in practice (after fellowship) for a total of five years. Keep "Fighting!" :D Congratulations getting into medical school too. My cousin is going through the process now and is really stressing about it!

As far as I'm aware, seeing a list of people you're following is not available yet. I think they're working on it.

The Princess Man has many awesome OSTs!

This Italian song is still my fav. At first it was quite weird to listen to this song in sageuk drama but after a while, it gave more feels for some epic moment?

That was always my favorite, but these ones grew on me recently:

I basically love all of them and still in my playlist after years.

Yes! Vola and Destino were the first ones to catch my attention, but I've very quickly come to love all of them

Hwaiting babe! Enjoy the post exams down time and catch up on your dramas! XD

Older sageuks are still way better than what have these days. "Princess Man" was history based, the romance wasn't but it fit perfectly into the historical feud between the two fathers.
One of my top 10 sageuks.

Love "Whisper" and I'm actually going to finish this show!

"Suspicious Partner" is hitting the spot. I'm easy to please when there is chemistry.

I really, really loved Individualist Ji-young, but I wish the Princess Man PD would get working on a sageuk again!

Same here :).

Can you recommend some other older historical? I want to watch some but I don't want to waste time on ones that suck :(

try Damo (Ha ji won, lee seo jin) or Queen Seon Deok (Lee Yo Won, Go Hyun jung, kim nam gil) , tree with deep roots (yoo ah in, shin se kyung)

* my favourite sageuks*

What kind of sageuks do you like? fusion romance, political thriller, stuffy old school for the history fans, fantasy romance, mystery sci-fi, novel adaptation etc?

The Princess' Man is my 3rd favorite drama (followed by Gaksital and Healer). It was so beautifully done and so epic. So glad you enjoyed it!

It's OT Friday morning, the week flew by!

The Crown Prince is careless. And handsome. Hwa Goon (So Hee) reminds me of Maleficent. L is like this idol running around the set with bad Joseon hair and makeup. Man, that wrist slicer-offer was gruesome; good thing we didn’t have to see it put to use. Although, what happened next was worse. And the biggest question: why do eunuchs wear knee pads?

Suspicious Partner – refreshing. The curse song. Chang Wook’s overflowing handsomeness, can’t take my eyes off the screen.

My Father is Strange – I love Ra Young and her lovers/twins blunder

Secret Variety training– actually, the “meet and greet” first episode was cute. Anyone else watching this? I thought Yerin was kind of rude to Min Ho, though. Jinwoon is always charming, and the dance competition was surprisingly entertaining and energizing.

I love reading all the comments, have a great weekend!

maybe eunuchs liked to play rugby those days?

Wasn't there a sageuk where eunuch played rugby or football ? XD I was wondering why they were talking about knee pads.

it was, i think in Splash Splash love where Kim Seul gi played football with the king. Don´t remember, if it was that she introduced him the game or it already existed.

That's right Splash Splash love ! I think KSG introduced him to football which is funny because Yoon Doo Joon is famous for being part of the idol football team. HA.

ah, buit wait... how can a eunuch play ball? he doesn´t have any...

superfox, now I gotta go make another cuppa coffee since I sputtered my all over the place reading your comment ...

Lol we are so heartless.

owl you just reminded me I was making coffee but I forgot to put the kettle on.

maybe because eunuch has to kneel down a lot?

but he was sleeping in them...

Maybe he was too tired by the time he returned to the CP's chamber he forgot to remove them? He had been kneeling nearly all day in the basement battling with his fear to call the King 'father'. Can't blame a eunuch to be careless with his knee pads. He's been using them since he enters the palace to be a eunuch so I think it's reasonable that it has become almost a part of him. Just like some people in modern days are too tired to change out of their job uniform or remove their make-up before going to bed.

The eunuch and the crown prince in the basement are not the same person. The eunuch with the knee pad is Sun's eunuch, the fake crown prince in the basement is just a substitute the king sought to replace his son in case Pyeon-soo hwe decides to kill the crown prince (in episode 2).

@maryxiah: Oh thank you for the corrections. However I still don't think it's a big logic hole that a eunuch forgets to remove his knee pads :D.

Crown Prince in Mask? Aaargh, I wish I could get over whatever childhood trauma I had against hidden identities. I love crown princes. Give me a fantasy with a crown prince (unless he's masked) and I'm hooked. Have a great weekend!

haha, yes I forgot the kdrama title. What about the 1/2 mask in Moon Lovers, does that count? :)
have a great weekend, too~

I watched FIS, but I didn't like Ra Young and her love arc. The guy was quite boring, and their love arc wasn't capturing my attention, to be honest. I prefer the other sisters' arcs, and even the eldest brother. I can't wait for him to find out that his wife is the nasty woman who bullied his sister.

No chemistry between them - that's the problem. They are good looking but they look awk,and not in a good way. RY even looks better with his twin. The lacking in their acting, especially that guy seems to be so obvious. I already noticed he is wooden before, maybe they should make his character more lively so at least we can see him being cute etc. Just like Lee Tae Hwan in Father I'll Take Care of You. His character could be plainly boring if they didnt make him a sweet guy and it was great that they paired him with Park Eun Bin.Their chemistry are also great that at least I can turn my eye closed for his wooden acting.

I don't like the actress who plays Ra-young, and I don't like the character's arc either. I much prefer Lee Yuri's Hye-young, who is so kick-ass and sassy. And Jung So-min, who is lovely as Mi-young. I hope the eldest brother will stand up for Mi-young when he finds out about the bullying.

So glad Friday is here. the wait for Chicago typewriter was killing me.

i had to get some medical tests on Monday, which were pretty uncomfortable and painful, so i spent Monday in bed feeling sorry for myself. Needing something light on the brain i started My Secret Romance. It's predictable but they're cute so i think i'm going to stick with it. Also is the little kid actually their son? he seems about the right age, but she seems more sister like than motherly towards him (the kid).

Picked up suspicious partner because Ji Chang Wook. and it was pretty much a yawn till the last few min. Our main female lead is a murderer? and it seems like a dark comedy? love it, love it, love it.

Happy Friday everyone!

Hoping the medical tests turn out good and all ends up well.

haha yes, i forgot the kdrama title. What about thr 1/2 mask in Moon Lovers, does that count as a hidden identity? have a great weekend, too!

I thought the kid in MSR belongs to the mom? I just watch it for the cliches, which remind me of the old Taiwanese shows. There are some funny bits here and there. And I like it that every time the male lead looks at the female lead, he seems to be falling in love all over again.

In MSR I think the kid will be used as a funny misunderstanding on the H's part. This will be in keeping with cute/sweet/innocent heroine driving the hero crazy without even realizing it - theme, that this drama has utilized for humor so far.

For me, I continue to like this drama, it is so cute.

I've just watched up to episode 9 and despite the cheese and cliche I'm enjoying it. It's so full of cute and very sweet moments. The Yoo Mi's mother is just awful as is Hye Ri. But the leads chemistry is great. I love Woo Jin, Wook's secretary who is crazy funny. Last episode full of light moments with lots of small children having fun in the playground and Wook being broody.

Hi Everyone! ....... I hope you are all doing well today!

To all those who will celebrate on Sunday, have a Happy Mother's Day!

Watched this week:

Whisper - Rebellious daughter Soo-yeon is not as smart as she thinks she is.

Mystery Queen - Still enjoying watching our two main leads banter and bicker with each other.  Inspector Woo continues to be one iffy guy.

Strong Woman Do Bong-soon - I still haven't found the time for that last episode!!  Maybe this weekend.

That's all for now. ....... Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

Maybe I should return to Whisper, uh? I like plotting and counter-plotting but this felt so ridiculous at one point. I measure all drama scheming by the great machinations in Punch. The foundations were already laid and whenever someone came up with a strategy or counter-strategy the viewer said, "AH!!!! I remember this...so now it's coming back?" But Whisper just seemed to grab desperate retaliations from thin air. I like our Big Bad, though.

Carole -

To be honest, I've only watched up to episode 6, so I don't know just how ridiculous or not it's going to get. Up to now, all the main players pretty much know all the secrets there are to know and who's who. In the meantime, heroine burned the last bit of info she had (or so it seems, you just never know) to negotate with. Where they go from here is anyone's guess and I suppose this is why I'll continue to tune in.

Regarding Punch, yes, it pretty much set the standard by which others will be measured. I've rewatched Punch already ...... and I'd do it again.

MQ: For some reason, Inspector Woo seems to dislike WS and SO very much. He doesn't take them seriously, and doesn't think much of their capabilities either. It's so weird.

Perhaps he is disturbed by their intensely felt drive to catch criminals as it reminds him of his partner who dies of exhaustion pursuing the killer seven years ago. It seems like he tried to take out the emotional aspect and focus intently on detacted professional analysis to solve crimes. Though facing the serial killer again will force him to see that you can never be completely emotionally detacted.

I regret ever starting Mystery Queen on a whim.

I thought it was a cute little show I can watch bit by bit when I'm trying to relax and maybe I'll finish it in a couple of months. BUT NO. This show tricked me with the cute and then hooked me with its characters. I appreciate them all, even the shady husband and the well-meaning-but-misguided mother-in-law.

I love this show so much, I'm always waiting until 5am for subs and watching it as soon as it's available. Then I spend the rest of the week being sad that I have no self-control and I promise to wait a little bit before watching the episodes next time. But we all know that's a lie.

I thought last week was great with the writer pulling Inspector Woo out of the tv show and into the characters' real world. But they had to one-up it this week by giving him even more interactions with our team, making me hate him in 11 and then understand him in 12. I'll be sad to say goodbye to all the characters in 2 weeks. :(

mary -

Ooo, I haven't watched 12 yet. That'll be a little later today ..... now I'm totally curious about Woo.

I can't believe it'll all be over in 2 weeks either. I kind of find that even though we're this far into the drama, basically everything can still go in any direction. We'll see what happens!

Eeek I'm sorry for spoiling you :(

I agree with you about not knowing where the story will go. I can't 100% hate anyone at this point. And it's already ep12!

mary -

Don't worry about the spoilers! I don't mind. ☺

Happy Friday all!
Camping here waiting for the final recap for Liar but looks like I will end up sleeping before it's out. Think I caught the Boy's flu. ?

Finally opened up my W 2 Worlds photoessay and it is divine! however not enough Soo Bong and not enough villain/Dad pics. And I really wish they had more of the manga drawings because those are love! But all in all is a great book, no regrets in getting it at all. ❤️

Also stumbled on the DOTS photoessay going at half price at a local bookstore, so I just had to get it... haven't opened it up yet.

But Urgh now I'm regretting slightly because the Liar OST is being sold but I've spent way to much this month. But yet I really want to support my Puppies and since I can't contribute to ratings in Korea, at least this way I can show them that they are loved? But my wallet is scolding me.

Chicago Typewriter (out tonight finally) has made me much more conscious about creative work and plagiarism and giving these talented people proper support rather than just "stealing" off the net. But now, dilemma! Maybe next month. ?

Had an awesome day at work this week- did a semi complicated procedure for a patient for his operation pain control-