Open Thread #501

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

I guess I worked so hard the past month that it finally broke me. weird thing is you tell your superior you have a virus, and the first thought she has is "Oh, cyber-attack?" the world is ruined. people only talk computer language.

watching:
Circle (1st ep) - since I grew up with x-files and the craziest magazine ever called Paradox, I can´t help but compare and it is not giving me the same suspenseful feeling - cause it is fragmented? Cause there is little novelty for me? but maybe it will come together. Still, it feels like a fresh change in themes.

Suspicious Partner - I am amazed at the cast chemistry between ALL of them. and how our Crazy Lawyers are all equally immature in a way and now have a chance to grow together. I can already see the "found family" everyone here seems to love so much forming. Watching them bicker around the desk is like watching Mad Hatters´ crazy tea party. about Eun Hyuk... I am not as judgemental against him as some others. It is not because I take relationships lightly or have no experience of cheating, but I don´t expect anything better from humans. You know? I must be really cynical. I know perfect drama heroes don´t really exist. I know those kinds of people are fantasy. and yet - Eun Hyuk is not a "bad person". Let´s face it, he is difficult to categorize or cross off. The writer has nicely put us in the same situation as Ji Wook is. Skills.

not really watching My Secret Romance, but I DID see the secretary saying he knows everyone makes fun of the way he dresses, but he simply loves to do it and it makes him happy. Is Korea becoming more accepting to out-of-norm?
That character just gets to me and he is played so well. the rest of the show is a cliche.

Lookout: wooooooow! watching this feels like dreaming. It´s like I have a birthday and got a present? and it is deliciously complicated. but I am only on ep 2

and then I am watching... umm.... a something.
umm
umm
actually... I should make a drama-confession, but it is a little embarrassing. You see... gawd, no, I´m not ready. Forget it. some of you would laugh, some would say I´m such a traitor. Some would say I had it coming. Really, what the hell got into me? I dont recognize myself. must be the pills.

anyway. I wanted to ask: which drama characters would you invite on a crazy tea party and what would your role be? (hint: say teacup - you know why!)

I also have another question, inspired by the upcoming drama of a nineties idol in modern times. Who or what would you bring from the 1990ies to the present? Me, I would bring the Eurovision that still had only 24 participants. Being last doesnt hit that hard then...

Dokko Jin, Chief Kim, Secretary Jang's suits and Kim Joo Won's batshit crazy mother. I'd be the Mrs Potts singing "Be our guest, be our guest put our service to the test" whilst looking for any opportunity to spill (throw) drinks in the face of Mrs Batshit, and on the shirts of the hotties (so they'd have to take them off of course.......)

well, be careful, don´t burn them. Tho I can imagine Chief Kim not even noticing and Dokko Jin going: "Heart....BRRREAK!" but not removing it.

Lolz

lol!! I'd add Oska and his weird sweaters here!

Yes! And his cheesy grin 😁

And Daddy long leg's weird and wonderful wardrobe from shopping king louis

I was a X-files fan as a child and Circle is picking my interest because of the alien's mystery.
Suspicious Partner couldn't have a better cast. Everyone belongs there and simply makes their character alive !

I agree to that. Circle is piquing my interest, not just because of the alien, but also because of the twins and the murders on Smart Earth. I like anything sci fi. X-files is bae!

I love the rom com in SP, but not so much the thriller aspect. I suppose as the show goes on, the thriller would be more apparent. However, right now, I am loving it as a rom com, especially JW and BH's interactions with each other. I love the cute EH too. Aww... he's suffering because he betrayed his best friend, but surprisingly, I don't hate him very much. Maybe because he seems so apologetic over what he has done. JW, please forgive him!

A lot of thing is going on in Circle so I wonder if the show will blow our mind.
I love SP as a rom-com and hope the legal serious wil come later.

With regard to Suspicious Partner I've found that if a show is a RomCom and any other genre, the other genre is usually mainly as a plot device. So the thriller/crime aspect only serves for character and partner development. I'm generally not bothered by it because I take it for what it is. One thing that I think this show is doing better than its peers is that I think it's trying to give us more insight into the murders motives. Also, funny enough, I couldn't help but think of the killer as a "Dexter" type character. The only other thing I'm worried about is that they will try to solve and cram everything in the last two episodes, rushing things and making the journey less enjoyable because of it.

maybe the show had intention to be more crime but got lost in exploring the complicated human relationships.

I agree with your sentiments regarding SP's cast. Was thinking the same thing when watching this weeks episodes.

I usually despise the cheating boyfriend characters, but for some reason I can't hate Eun Hyuk. More than anything he breaks my heart, and I just feel for him. So I'm with you there.

I am loving EH way too much, but I also despise his past action - for whatever reason cheated with your best friend's gf is totally wrong. But for some reasons he was staying beside Ji Wook although JW ignored it -It shows he knows he has committed the wrong, and he knkws it will be hard to ask for forgiveness. He is still a good friend for JW, and he knows JW is lonely and has no friend. At least he doesn't run away like the girl.

JW ex gf - I am not hating her but has no reason to like her either. She is so far is not a clingy and annoying character yet. But I don't like that during the first time she met JW after 2 years, she immediately ask to get back together. She is selfish to act like that. She betrayed him, and also ruined their friendship. She should show some remorse.

If it is true as per synopsis, later she will try to be with EH i will seriously hate her. LOL. I haven't watched epi 11-12 yet so maybe there is some more backstory.

Yeah, I like that he's not trying to excuse his mistake, and knows what he did was wrong. AND that he's not trying to pursue Yoo Jung. For some reason that's refreshing. He clearly knows how much the entire situation hurt everyone involved, and seems like he regrets it too.

I know they're probably gonna hook up the second leads and I can't say I will like that if it happens, particularly cos I'm not caring for Yoo Jung at the moment. I think I need to see more of her to make a judgement but she's pretty shameless atm and it's bugging me.

And Ji Wook probably also knows that Eun Hyuk is trying to mend their friendship, and that's why JW isn't really cold with him.

I refuse to see it happens 😢if they want to pair the second leads. hmm. I don't know if it will be possible to these three to re-start their friendship again, but if this drama want to pair EH with YJ, so maybe their friendship can go back to the way in the past. But for me, if I were JW, although after I completely healed and moved on, i don't think I can be friend with my ex anymore. There's no way I will go back to the past.

@SeraMsTemper Ji Wook totally keeps forgetting sometimes that he hates Eun Hyuk and just converses like a friend to friend until he catches himself. It might just be stubborness to give in, but it seems similar to the School 2013 situation.

EH's unspoken explanation of his actions (after the fight when they were both laying on the curb) and then his admission that he had no excuse really said a lot about his character. He was wrong, and no matter the reason, he knows it was still wrong. So many people would plead their case and try to explain their actions away. And then that single tear he shed at his house...my heart can't help but break a little for him.

Right??? So as much as I don't approve of WHAT he did, I have no bitter feelings toward him, just kinda really sad that things happened that way :(
Oh and when he gave that awkward laugh in the car and BH told him he doesn't have to laugh? Ugh... his face...

And this is why I can't stand the ex gf - unlike EH, she feels entitled to have normal relationships to both guys like it was before and she doesn't get why the boys won't want to be friends / bf to her anymore. Does she not feel guilty? EH has so much remorse in his eyes. I hope she has valid reason on why she has to sleep with her bf's bestie (accidentally falling on top of each other isn't an excuse) that she can acts like this now.

^Reasons Why I don't Want Her to Get With EH again... :P ^

I can't hate EH either for the cheating incident. In fact, I love him. I love his cheerful optimistic nature, although he does show some cracks in his joyful demeanor once in a blue moon. I also love how he has been trying to make amends to JW for what he has done by enduring JW's ignoring him and treating him as if he's invisible. I also love how he tries to reduce the glaring distance between them by taking the initiative to talk to JW and expressing his love for him constantly. He is just so sweet. How can you not love him?

All this^
Honestly, props to the writer and the actor for making him so lovable prior to knowing for sure what happened. Cos if he were even slightly different I'd probably be like 'nope you're cheating scum bye...'

This 👬

He said My Love Ji Wook Chang Wook ❤️

Yea, aren't they besties irl or something?

Yes they are besties

I like this one too:

I think it says 'Wook-i hyung (Ji Chang Wook?) love. Heart Monopoly. Bong Hee, sorry.... #Suspicious partners'. It really fits the picture in a cute and funny way >.<

On another note... I am overly curious about your 'confession' now...

I am just watching something I never thought I would watch. and I am even very close to doing something I would never have thought I´d do. EVER. like, no way super never. super-duper never.

... my brain is sparking off possibilities hahaha

you WOULD be curious, huh? if there was a private message possibility, I might tell you.

@redfox mmm... aren't you past 30? I'm 31, and now that I'm officially an ajumma I feel no shame any more! I can shout higher than anybody in a kpop concert, I can admit I dance to reggaeton music when I'm alone in my room, I send people videos and videos of my favourite Eurovision contestants without shame... It's wonderful!

Don't be embarrassed, liking different things just make you more open-minded!
(Trying to encourage you -with true words- to reveal your dark secret, muahaha, has it worked?)

BTW, how comes there are no emojis?

@redfox Alas there are no pms so I'll just have to live ever in suspense wondering... hahaha

@verzaholicbee yes, I am indeed, and I am usually shameless and all, I am just afraid some folks would fall flat to the ground and I want to spare them. Keep frying, little eggs on my pan, keep frying! oh, dammit, now I want a fried egg.

My imagination getting wild lol

Come on redfox, if you mentioned it in your original post, you know you secretly/subconsciously want to shout out the confession to the world XP.

Anyways us beanies are a diverse bunch; even if the show is not something you'd normally watch, I'm sure it'll resonate with some people at least Oo. You'd be doing a favour recommending the show to people who usually like watching whatever type of show that is.

It's a new day, and I'm still wondering what it is! Personally, I'd have guessed Secret Romance but she admitted watching that one. I agree with rikai, redfox you WANT to confess! Get it off your chest, you'll feel better and your virus will go away as well LOL
Love,
Dr, 🍳

@rikai: I don´t think it needs recommending here, but let´s just say something finally clicked for me.
@bbstl: well you see... it would be easy cause this confession would definately be well received. but I am having way too much fun teasing and keeping you guessing. how can I give up tormenting you all?

Yayyyy, a downvote! Thank you very kamsa!

LOL! funny.

😂😂😂😂

Lol OMG I can't help but have to reply to this comment 😂😂😂😂. Your reaction is gold!

I´ll use them as floor protection on the legs of my kitchen tabel. should I get more, I sprinke them into my hand-made toilet paper.

It wasn't me, but recently I realized that sometimes I downvote youtube videos I love while I'm listening to them doing things around the house because... my phone is in my pocket, sometimes the case gets wet or whatever when I touch it to change a song and there... downvote happens.
Should use spotify more instead, really...

And here in dramabeans I upvoted myself accidentally because I wanted to see who had given me positive votes... :P

ah I have done that, tried to see who liked the post but instead gave myself an upvote.

why, this is getting ironic.

Wow, seeing a downvote on DB is still like meeting a unicorn. I want one too T-T

as long as it is not a unicorn serial killer who randomly stabs around with its horn.

I live to serve

Hahaha, this is cracking me up!

kamsahamnida!

I love that in Beanie-land, the citizens give out downvotes upon request 😂

Now you have 2, allphryne. Glad to help out haha

About Eurovision: This year we were last and it was wonderful! If felt a little bit like the underdogs bringing down the corrupt politicians/prosecutors/whatever in dramas. Though the Spanish singer was not really at fault for the "corrupt" Spanish organization of the show... but it felt good that they did sth wrong on purpose and we failed completely.

I live 1 h from Portugal by car, though... :P

And I'm gonna use this moment to spread the love. This was my favourite singer from Spain (even if I support 100% sending songs in our language and hate when they add things in English because "that way everybody can understand it". You know what? That way my parents/brother and gf/grandparents/etc. can't!):

last year, we were the last in our semi but Germany was overall last. the Spanich song was the first one from you that I didnt like in 10 years. I have always liked spanish entries.

Agree that the Portuguese song was nice. And I also very much prefer songs in the local language instead of sticking it all into English.

What was most telling about Eurovision this year to me was that it showed the extent to which kdramas have invaded my house. Like when my husband said, hey, are those people doing finger hearts? Meanwhile, younger daughter (who loves BTS) was totally unimpressed with all group dance moves. Then a little while later, my daughter who does not watch dramas at all said, wait, those guys from Norway look like that no-face dude from W. And then a bit after that, the singer from Bulgaria comes on. Husband says, that guy looks kinda Korean somehow, just as non-drama daughter says, it's Kang Chul! Guess who got the votes in our house?

to me the masked norwegian reminded more of a contestant in King of Masked Singer. you can also mention to your family that the estonian entry contained lyrics "before the romance turned to drama" that really cracks me up but nobody at home understands.

MSR is getting tiresome. A separation period marred by multiple flashbacks... OMG! I can't believe I endured so many flashbacks in an episode. And the worst thing of all, I didn't really feel the angst in their separation, and I didn't feel the longing the leads had for each other either. I didn't enjoy the two episodes this week, to be honest.

It was terrible and annoying. 90 minutes wasted.
Next week meeting mom and being at the same beach would be perfect.

yes, I was like: scroll scroll scroll SECRETARY! bye.

Also dropping MSR half way, episode 7 to be exact.

right?? I FFd about half the episode, I don't have time for flashbacks! haha
I never expected much from this drama, though. I never really connected with the characters or the story much so it doesn't really bother me that these 2 eps were pretty lacking. I just want it to be over and move on haha

Yeah, MSR was doing OK until the last two episodes. It felt like they were nothing but filler - nothing happened.

aw! are you very sick? getting sick because of work is the worst, I hope you manage to relax and give your mind and body a well-deserved break!

prob some dormant virus. as long as it is not the bug itself!

thing is, one of our museums is this medieval tower where you can go on the roof, and if doors downstairs and upstairs are both open or get opened too often, there is an awful draft. I had a slight cold, but it got bad because of the draft. and I was dressed lightly because it was HOT in the morning. a reminder to anyone travelling to Tallinn: the weather can change drastically in 2 hours. pack bikinis, serial killer raincoat and a parka, and it would be good if they fit in your handbag.

Hi Beanies !

I liked all of the show premieres this week. I'm watching them in that order : Lookout - Fight My Way then Circle. Lookout is feeding my love for criminal/action dramas with a good team dynamic. FMW is down-to-earth and touching. I like Circle's concept is making my brain cells working. I wonder how My Sassy Girl will turn out. What a great time to watch dramas !

Current airing dramas female leads are awesome. I hope we will see more of them this year !

Tunnel : That was a really good show and I love it when Choi Jin Hyuk plays a dad.

Whisper : After lots of backstabbing, I enjoyed the finale. I will not rewatch it but it was a great show with its imperfetions.

Father is Strange : Why are Actor Ahn and Mi Youg so cute ? Joong Hui being jealous is a delight ! The uncle is lucky to have such a supportive wife ! Grandma always talks at the wrong time but knows when to support her children. I feel bad for Yu Ju because she has a successful career and might not keep her job because of her pregnancy. I don't especially like her character but she along with Hye Young represent career women. I like that the drama tackles social issues. I wonder what will be Joon Hwan's answer to Hye Young's proposal.

Boku Unmei no Hito desu : The hero did all that training in ep 5 for that last part xD The leads are getting closer at least.

Ode to Joy 2 (ep 16/55) : It's now subbed up to ep 12. Andy and Fan Sheng Mei really can't get away from family issues. At least Andy has her friend Tan and Bao Yi Fan to support her, unlike Sheng Mei who is only relaying on Bai Quan. I'm scared of this couple's future. I'm hurting for Xiao Qu's love situation. Speaking of love, Doctor Zhao and Xiao Qu are cute~ Xiao Qu is back at studying and wants to educate herself. Great ! It will help her in her work and even in her relationship with Doctor Zhao. I'm waiting for Guan Guan to have her love line and to gain confidence. I want to see the day she will stand up for herself !

Happy Friday :D

FIS - from marriage issue among women, working mom, - I love they highlighted these issues. What I love more, this drama so far didn't drag anything for a long time. So I wish they will let Jong Hee knows about the actual story soon. I think we will go there around epi 30++ later. For now, Joon Hyung is being jealous with Jong Hee - well I understand him, he has been the only son all this while, and so far he didn't do anything bad with Jong Hee. I want to see more bonding between Jong Hee and the siblings.

FIS does a better job than weekday dramas for not dragging issues and that's awesome.
If Joong Hee and the siblings get closer it will cause a bigger mess after his real father's identity. I don't know if I want to see them bound more as siblings than as future in-laws. But Joon Hyung might accept him after the revelation since his position as son won't be "threatened" anymore and might reflect about his attitude.

I don't like Joon Hyung. I think he is too childish and immature for the eldest son of the family. I can't believe he dared to get a girl pregnant and marry her even though he has nothing to show for in life. And after his marriage, he and his wife are living off his parents instead of being independent and taking care of themselves. At least Joong Hee is supporting himself and has a proper job. Joon Hyung has no right to be jealous of anyone else.

Joon Hyung is not helping Yu Ju either when he tells her to rest instead of helping his mother and sisters. He needs to grow the most out of everyone in the family.

I don't like him either since he ia quite a loser in my eyes. But at the very least, he is not a super annoying bro/son, he is still doing some errands for his family, and not just sleeping whole day and do nothing.I just hope he will settle down soon - I don't think he will pass his exam.

I liked him at the beginning because he always helped his parents despite his situation. I want him to become a better person please.

Jun Young and Uncle are a lot alike.

Yes and they are like best friends. Uncle tries hard and some things don't work as he expected. His wife got his back so even if he fails he's still loved. I doubt Yu Ju can be this supportive but that's part of marriage.

"Why are Actor Ahn and Mi Youg so cute ? Joong Hui being jealous is a delight ! " Love x 1000 ^^

"I feel bad for Yu Ju because she has a successful career and might not keep her job because of her pregnancy. I don't especially like her character but she along with Hye Young represent career women."
I wanted to comment this the other day but I couldn't remember my password to log in... I read several comments of people saying they disliked her so much they were actually glad that she was having trouble at work. But... as much as I dislike her, her own boss admitted she worked many hours and well, like you said, she is a career woman who does her job well, so this thing of removing her of her position because she is pregnant... I found it really infuriating and sad. She deserves many things, but not that. Nobody who works hard and well deserves that, whatever their personalities might be out of work. If there is another reason that's ok, for example, if she is mistreating her colleagues she can be disciplined by her superiors, that would be reasonable. But "sorry, you work fine, but now you're gonna have a baby and we don't really give a fuck about you"... really infuriating.

So I'm glad you, and hopefully other people, make this type of comments. Thanks!

Oh I read some comments about Yoo Joo and how some viewers are happy she got some troubles at work. I disagree. I don't like her, but it won't make me happy to see someone who is doing good at her job to face this prob. Her personal attitude towards MY and other SILs is one different thing, and she gonna learnt a lot later but she is also like many career woman who is struggling to keep her job because they will be have baby- this is so relatable.

I love this drama's diversity of characters. We can even relate to the "bad one".

That is so true. I finally gave up and marathoned what there is of FIS. Yoo Joo is not likeable but she has her "tale of woe" and a biy understandable. I still love the sassy sisters best.

I think what's saving Yuju at the moment is how badly she wants to fit in with this new family (given her past), even if she's not going about it in the right ways (like giving Ra-young flats just cuz she wouldn't outshine her at the wedding). I think Yuju genuinely wants to be helpful and nice, like helping to make breakfast etc, and Jun-young being too protective is only going to backfire on her chances of getting accepted. If she's already treading on thin ice (with Hye-young, Mi-young, Ra-young and Joong-hee all not on her side), imagine what it's going to be like when her bullying of Mi-young is revealed...

Yeah I read these kind of comments on youtube. People should separate private life and work. Beside her attitude towards Mi Young when she first came in the company (it was an abuse of power), she is great at the job. I can't imagine the financial disaster it will be for her, Joon Hyung and the baby.

The financial disaster... agreed. Though she can still work in another department, and the husband can get a job as well, so I think the potential emotional disaster could be worse to a degree, depending on the person: a career woman seeing all her effort, all those years of hard work, going to the rubbish because of a new baby. She could have trouble adapting and become bitter, and even put the blame on the baby, and snap when he does sth wrong as a child... Of course this could be worse case scenario, but we always hear children are a bless and mother feels instant love... but there ARE people who don't really have the instinct, the pacient, etc., and some people who end up regretting it to a degree.

I'm not saying it will be the case in this drama, I'm sure it will not, I'm just talking in general. Nowadays children can go to daycare almost after birth, the husband can stay at home with the baby... I don't understand this decision of not allowing her to keep her job, so so unfair...

Apparently in Korea working moms don't have as much help as in the west. They have to stay longer at home for pregnancy leave even if they receive help from their family.

I've been debating whether to see Ode to Joy or not. I loved Wang Kai and Olivia Wang in When a Snail falls in love, but I've never watched any Chinese drama that was as long as Ode to Joy. What is it like? The trailers give off a "Sex and the City" feel, I don't know. Is there any kdrama or american drama that resembles it?

I never watched Sex and the City (shame one me !) but it's like watching the girls of Age of Youth years later worrying about their financial situation, career and love life. The difference is that in Ode to Joy not every girl is living the same way despite living in the same apartment building and they didn't imediatly like each other.

You'll love their chemistry in Ode to Joy! I have not watched When a Snail falls in love but in Ode to Joy, Olivia Wang was so open about her feelings, going after Wang Kai. If you don't like the stories of the other girls, just fast forward it. I'm now watching Ode to Joy 2 and their still my favorite couple in the show.

Hello Beanies,
I'm keen to watch the 2008 MBC 'Who Are You?' but can't find it at my usual kdrama sites (dramacool, dramanice), and the dramago links aren't working. Where else can I go to watch it with eng subs?
Big thanks all

try k*ssasian!

Asa!!! Kamsahamnida 😍

Viki is restricting my access, but you can go check if it is the same for you. Maybe you are lucky.
and then there is Kissasian.

may I ask you where I can download weekend family dramas which had tons of episodes? because in my usual websites there is only short-medium length drama

I don´t know about downloads, I only watch online.

okay thank you..

Try Dramaload. There's payment involved but it's reasonable.

First time in open thread so Yay!!!

Only one question in my mind right now. Whats with the ending of Mystery Queen? Is there a season 2? Someone please tell me.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Thank you, I thought I would go crazy waiting for the recaps to rant. NO IDEA why the ending went the way it did; it felt like the writer figured there was no time to resolve the Big Plot so they solved the smaller ajumma plot. But not really either because all they got was an arrest based on... circumstantial evidence that WS's dad was the instigator. And then JW negotiated and got H&J from the mysterious Mr Kim. And the HS - whom we have NEVER SEEN BEFORE suddenly makes an appearance.

Why.

I loved the characters and their chemistry was good, and I would love seeing a Season 2 to finish the plot, but won't be holding my breath.

Until the end we still don't know - really - what happened to her parents, what happened with HS, and so I'm not sure what the point of the show was.

At least she separated from her scummy husband. Who also made a deal with Mr Kim, so why is he relegated to Jeju Island?!

Argh this show.

I like ep 16 now. Writer was all - Good bye fans with annoying smirk. What was the objective of all 16 episodes if you had to do this. waah. Even Missing 9's episode 16 was better than this one. Writer knew nothing about how to develop and deal with characters.

They might have planned for a second season all along. That's why they took so long to get started on resolving SO's parents' deaths, only to leave it dangling at the end. I think they didn't even plan to resolve it at all.

I am not sure if I like the ending, but I am glad SO took the initiative to leave her husband and move out of the house. At least she is showing some spunk, and not dead set on maintaining a harmonious front anymore.

I actually liked the ending and don't really want a seasons 2 (because second seasons are scary...):
It was the story of ajumma being a housewife with a secret passion for justice (or sth like that but less cheesy) to ajumma opening up, having a better understanding of how her family works and "taking the bull by the horns":

The ajumma of the first episode was sneaking and lying to her family to resolve mysteries. The mystery of her parents and the gf already existed before the drama. The last scene showed a happier ajumma, investigating more openly with the support of her family (kind of), knowing what is going on with her marriage, the sis in law helping at home... I actually really liked that long final shot, with everybody continuing their lives as usual: shopping, greeting the neighbours, chasing wrongdoers... I felt their lives would continue after the show (a little bit like W, thinking about it) and eventually they would discover more truths, catch more bad guys, start dating (will totally happen) ^^.

Your comment actually gives me some closure. Thank you.

I still look forward to season 2.

Seriously, what the heck was that?

All this time and we still don't know what actually happened to WS's ex and who's the big baddie in the dark? Why are they so intent on making her disappear, it cannot be just because she's dating a chaebol right?
What happened to SO's parents is also still quite fuzzy though we might be able to guess / imagine the scenario.

The writer def left this open for a chance of season 2 right? I really hope this will happen, plus now we can commence on the romance with the husband out of the equation / island!

I was really disappointed with Mystery Queen's ending. It's been ages since an ending made me scratch my head and go huh? For a second I thought I got the number of episodes wrong but alas that was not it. I am ok with open ended endings (like TLAHL or Tunnel) but somehow for this show, it felt incomplete and I doubt there will be a 2nd season so that makes it more frustrating.

Happy weekend, Beanies!
I just wrote my last exam of the semester, and have a few days break, so I am a pretty happy camper.

On the drama front, now that Whisper is over, I am only watching

Suspcious Partner, Fight My Way, and a couple of older dramas.

I've read a few fantasy novels too, and am waiting for the latest installment from one of my favorite authors, Ilona Andrews, to release on Tuesday. So suffice it to say, this week is going to be a week of Rest and Reading for me! I hope you guys' week goes great too!

ohh fantasy novels! its my favourite genre though i dont enjoy the trend of trilogies and endless books set in the same world. Any recommendations on stand alone fantasy?

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I've read very little fantasy that is standalone. But Sharon Shinn has a number of books that are either stand-alone, or so loosely connected that it doesn't matter whether or not they are read as part of a series or standalone

Wrapt in Crystal
Heart of Gold
Summers at Castle Auburn
The Shape-Changer's Wife
All the above are standalone. She also wrote Archangel which is technically they first book in a series, but can be read as standalone. Archangel is one of my favorite books ever. Also, these all have some form of romance underlying them. Some more so than others, but all beautifully and masterfully written.

Again for a recommendation that is a standalone-but-not-really, you have the first book in the Edge series, written by Ilona Andrews: On the Edge. It's my favorite and it is utterly amazing. I can gush about it forever. Funny thing though is that it took me halfway through my first read to *finally* understand what was going on, lol! But you can't ever go wrong with Ilona Andrews.

1) Pretty much anything by Frances Hardinge. Writes (mostly) standalone children's/young YA novels that are more imaginative, complex and gorgeous than most adult fantasies I've read. Good starting places: A Face Like Glass, The Lost Conspiracy aka Gullstruck Island, The Lie Tree
2) Uprooted by Naomi Novik
3) Stardust, Coraline by Neil Gaiman
4) Tam Lin by Pamela Dean
5) Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Agree with this entire list!
Frances Hardinge has such nice stories. Also,
Good Omens is hilarious, and I love basically everything from Neil Gaiman.

American Gods was awesome too. Plus Amazon is making it into a TV series. Yay!

Ooh, ooh, ooh, if we're talking Neil Gaiman, then we must add The Graveyard Book and Neverwhere!

I second that!

I love Neil Gaiman~! I've only read The Graveyard Book, Coraline and Good Omens so far... but I've listened to the radio adaptations of Stardust and Neverwhere and I loved it all!

@snows119 yes!! are you watching it? they've changed quite a few things, but I'm really enjoying it!

I love Stardust! Didn't like the movie at all though...

And Good Omens is hilarious. I also love the Sandman series, Death is my favourite Endless.

Kari Sperring's Living with Ghost and The Grass King's Concubine. Juliet McKenna's books are really good and her worlds are lovely. Mirtika Schultz is excellent. Yangsze Choo is good. Leigh Kennedy is good. Yoon Ha Lee is excellent. As is Sylvia Kelso. But both are dense hard reads. Jessica Rydill is also quite good. I'll mention a guy here. Chris Beckett's Dark Eden (Scifi but feels like fantasy.) And, of course, there are a couple of mine: The Constant Tower, Wind Follower.

So many authors I don't know! Thanks for sharing!

Seconding Yoon Ha Lee!

Such a great list. Thank you all so much

Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones (RIP T___T) are not technically standalone, but you can read

The Lives of Christopher Chant (totally worth it) as a stand-alone and understand it fine.

Or it's actual predecessor Charmed Life, which is also very very very good, but not as good.

Both can be read as standalone. I've read hundreds of fantasy books (literally), and this series remain in my top 5 favorite.

Chronological order:

Christopher Chant
Charmed Life

Published order:
Charmed life
Christopher Chant

My personal recommended order:
Christopher Chant first
Charmed life later

And more books of the series (all can be read as standalone and entertaining, but with a richer understanding of the world and character, (like cameos), reading them in published order would be better.)

This series is an underappreciated CLASSIC. I can't stress that enough.

*its

"The Stars are Legion" by Kameron Hurley (OMG, this book. Part space opera, part Heroine's Journey, part fantasy. All SO DAMN GOOD.)

You should also RUN to read "Every Heart a Doorway" by Seanan McGuire - it's about a school where all the students are children who fell into 'Neverland's and then fell out again. The school helps them cope with their loss, and supports them while they look for a way back in. It won the Nebula for best Novella this year.

An older - but still awesome book - is "Divine Misfortune" by A. Lee Martinez: It's about a couple who decide that they need to get the backing of a god to get ahead, so they pick Luka, the raccoon-headed god of luck. But Luka shows up at their house, moves in with them, and eats all their food. It is *hilarious* (and actually some very deep subtext about how worship changes over the ages & humanity's relationship to the divine.)

Oh! Also "Hundred Ghost Soup" by Robert Chansky - it's about a Chinese orphan who get an offer of adoption one month before his 18th birthday (or whichever birthday is your adult one for China). But when he travels to meet the family, they live in a literal ghost town, and they offer him tea with blood in it, and really, it just gets weirder from there.

...also, "The Girl With Ghost Eyes" by M. H. Boroson, "The Archivist Wasp" by Nicole Kornher-Stace, and "Slasher Girls and Monster Boys" (a v. scary anthology), & "Penpal" by Dathan Auerbach (very quiet horror which is all about dread)

Loved the girl with ghost eyes! Devoured it in one sitting pretty much

my most favorite fantasy writer is Ursula K. Le Guin and my favorite book series is her Earthsea Trilogy (+1). That still needs a GOOD film adaptation that does justice to the philosophical questions raised. They are always trying to make it a romance but really it is about the Way as in Daodeijing. My favorite parts are when someone says nothing.
It really irks me (and apparently the writer herself) that they really cannot comprehend what it is actually about.

Yes! Ive been waiting all week for Ilona Andrew's new book to come out. I also love Fight My Way and I was always going to watch Suspicious Partner bc Ji Chang Wook <3 but I'm really loving the female lead a lot in that too. Now I feel like I need to know all the dramas you like (for new drama recs) bc I feel like we have similar taste lol

Its Friday so that means a new ep of Chicago Typewriter. Yayyy!

Loving the new crop of dramas. Eun Bong Hee is one of my favourite drama heroines so far. She's right up there with Jang Hye Song (I hear your voice).

Who's your fav drama female lead??

loved Lookout . I cant wait for the take down of that crazy teenage boy.
And circle - its soooo amazing! i mentioned this on the recap thread well. Smart city reminds me of the BRazilian show 3%. Its on netflix and if you like dystopian dramas i highly recommend it.

I'm trying to watch ManxMan but im finding it a little difficult to get into. Am i the only one?

Waiting for fight my way to hit the mid way mark before i watch. Hope its good.

Have a lovely weekend beanies :)

Fav female drama lead - def Shin Mi-Rae (Kim Sun-A) in City Hall

Yup, Shin Mi-Rae of City Hall all the way - and Kim Sam Soon of course! Missing the badass Kim Sun Ah so very much.

Oh it's so rare to hear about that drama! I absolutely loved her. She was my role model for a long time, she was just so great!

Still my fav all time drama. And still the standard I compare all others to 💕

fav female leads:

Eun Soo from Faith and Bang Wool from Angry Mom, coincidentally both Kim Hee Sun
Jang Hye-Sung from IHYV
Bok Shil from SKL - because of her innate kindness and genuine personality
Jung Soo-Young from KoHSLC - cause she stayed herself proudly and they never tried to change her
Do Bong Soon - well, she is just cute.

Eun Soo! i knew i forgot someone. Faith was my gateway drama and i still love it though if i had the money i'd remake that drama. I'm still sore about that tepid ending

I love Eun Bong Hee but Kim Sam Soon is my all time favorite female lead <3
That psycho teenage boy in Lookout needs to go to jail for what he did !

Yeah, paycho boy is toally creepy.

That boy can act! He gave me chills the moment when he turned his expression. If I am not mistaken, he is the samwe boy that will act as young Yeon Woo Jin in Seven Days Queen.

I love Bong Hee but I need to wait for several more epi. Because I still get scarred with Cinderella and 4K-the way they made Pak So Dam's character. I really really wish it won't go there, but I need to be cautious so I won't be so angry later lol.

Yes always be careful lol

Always and forever, Kim Sam Soon ❤️ (and hurray for getting a chance to say this in slightly different context nearly every OT!)
Someone on the Fight My Way recaps reminded me of another favorite, Jang Mi from Marriage Not Dating. I especially love Jang Mi because I disliked her so for being a loud obnoxious ditz at the beginning. It's fun when you can't stand a character (or show) at the start and end up really loving them.

Fav female leads - well there's a lot. But the top five would be

1) Kim Sun Ah in My Lovely Sam Soon - so relatable because of average look she has, love her confidence etc.

2) Lee Yo Won in Ms Temper & Nam Jung Ki - she is cool despite of her temper.lol. Her temper is not that bad though. Her motto ' an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth ' is so memorable

3) Lee Bo Young in I Hear Your Voice - well what not to love about her 😂

4) Kim Hyun Joo in I Have A Lover - strong but so vulnerable. I also love the turn of her character from someone who committed wrongs in the past to someone who is ready to be responsible for her mistakes.

5) Lee Yu Ri in Father is Strange - She is not the only female lead in this drama. Well I want to be her, or if possible, to have a sister like her.

Lee Yu Ri as Hae Young in FIS for now. I love her modern views on love and marriage, and I hope against hope that she doesn't surrender to the conventional views of marriage, but I think she loves her sunbae too much and might give in to him in the end.

I loved it when she said neither she or her mom are wrong. They just have different values. Total girl crush !

So far, favourite k-drama female lead is Oh Dalja. I also like Kim Sam-soon, and Gye Jin-sung (after she toned down).

If Eun Bong-hee keeps it up, she'll join the ranks too.

OMO,now you mention gye jinsung name make me want to watch Beautiful Mind over and over again. Love her too..

Chae Young Shin from Healer because she bravely faced life and love. Jang Bo Ri from Jang Bo Ri is Here because she openned her heart to an abandoned baby and never questioned her choice.

I only had few of fave-female lead because sometimes the 2nd lead awe me more than 1st lead.
here's my list:
- Lee Yo Won in QSD, thou I also love love love Mishil
- Oh Yeon Soo in Shine or Go Crazy, but I do love Lee Hanui more
- Park BoYoung in Oh My Ghostess, well at least in this drama her skill in acting ain't wasted
- Jung Ryeo Won in Bubblegum, she's just adorable
- Kim Hyun Joo as Do Hae Gang, the powerful heartless woman because some reason
- Park So Dam in BM, well I'm just happy she's entering dramaland LOL.

Loved Ha No Ra from Second Time Twenty, Kim Da Hyun in the remake of 1%, and Shim Cheong from Blue Sea (until she went memory-eraser happy all over the place). I'm sure there are more up there...but they are memorable for me!

Many of you probably already know this but there is this whole storyline that involves strangers on the Internet coming together to talk about this one topic in the drama This Week My Wife Will have an Affair.
The drama gives little glimpses of each of these characters lives. Likewise, I have thought to myself, "what are the other beanies doing at this moment?"
I wondered that very thought when I was and real in labor and trying to distract myself by watchinwzg the raw version of a drama that was currently airing at the time.
So I'm wondering what's the strangest stories you guys have where watching dramas colided?

Where watching dramas collided with the real life events? *

Lol - good question! I don't have any really crazy times where dramas and real world collide. But, as a high school teacher in the US, it is fun to share my obsession with my students. There are always some who are already fans, but others who pick it up from me talking about it. I've had students stop by to squeal over Goblin, students come to my advisement just to watch dramas, and students (including teenage boys) skip lunchtime with friends to sit in my room and watch My Love From The Stars! This year we had Korean food day and the kids enjoyed the few dishes I've learned how to make.

(Ps. When I was in labor with my daughter, I watched the women's single finals of Wimbledon. I'm in the bed pushing like mad and the doctor walks in and stops to watch a little tennis! smh...)

Happy Friday!

Many new dramas premiered recently. Was torn between waiting for more eps and live watching until i felt my to watch list staring at me lol.

Chief Kim - i love ngm as sung ryong here. Not very invested in the story or the other characters yet. But very fun so far.

Sound Of My Heart - hilarious tho the second hand embarassment is killing me. LKS needs more lead roles.

Radiant Office - was feeling down when i watched this. Upliftin