Open Thread #512

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

OT week 27. I feel like I’ve missed a week. (Probably because I lost track of time during "Oppa -Wars" with @azzo1 and @mrsparkhaejin!) Welcome to Friday, everyone! It’s a busy week here in the heartland at lots of people descended on our neighborhood for a golf tourney. We’ve been spending a lot of time with friends and family which is always a good thing. My dad is here for a week, and my mom just left last Monday. If you’ve been following my wall (not my actual walls, my Beanie wall ) you’ve seen them watching “The King Loves” which is more than adorable. While they were, my dad mentioned that there was a general from Vietnam who immigrated to Korea and fought the Mongols in the 1200’s during the Goryeo dynasty. I had no idea, so what did I do? Googled it, of course. Wikipedia to the rescue!

Turns out, the name of this general is Ly Long Tuong (born in 1174) or Lee Yong-sang. He was the 7th son of an emperor (so, a prince)! He and his family were deposed by the Tran family (my previous surname) who either killed or banished the Ly’s to the mountains, forcing them to change their names to Nguyen. Princess Wonsung (The King Loves) took a page out of Tran Thu Do’s book who forced the reining emperor (the 1st son) to be a monk (which she did to the first crown prince during the reign of her husband, the 27th Goryeo king) and placed the Ly’s 6 year old daughter on the throne to marry his 8 year old nephew, to whom power later transferred.

The 7th Prince Ly said “Heo no!” {Viet language joke, mispronounced hell=heo, heo=pig} and took 6000 of his closest family and friends (servants, Mandarins) and fled on three ships with valuable relics from Vietnam. They stopped in Taiwan due to a typhoon, where they had to split up the family when his son got too sick to travel, and the Prince went on to Korea. There, he was met with open arms by King Gojong (23rd king of Goryeo) who apparently had a dream about a phoenix rising up from the south and landing on his nation. He gave the royal family a place to stay and positions in his empire. Where things get interesting is in 1232, when the Mongol army attacked Korea. Ly Long Tuong led the defeat of the Mongols and then he did it again after a second attack that lasted 5 months in 1253. The king renamed the area and had a pillar erected in honor of General Ly that apparently can still be seen today.

There are about 1500 households in N. Korea and 600 households in S. Korea that can trace their lineage to General Ly/Lee. A very wealthy family in Korea now is his direct descendants and still support the Ly temple in Vietnam, make a pilgrimage there every year, and took Vietnamese citizenship as well.

And that’s how my heritage intertwines with Koreans. There are very few Vietnamese with Ly as their surname now, likely because most of them changed their name to Nguyen or are in Korea with the last name Lee. There are some Taiwanese with the Ly surname though. Crazy, right?...

Now, I’d like to see a drama about this family and how they established in Korea and became very prominent in the process. General Ly would make a great hero figure. Sorry for the history lesson. Hope it wasn’t too boring.
Otherwise, I watched Splish Splash Love and continued Let’s Eat 2. You know how some actors just have great chemistry with anyone? Yoon Doo Joon is one guy that can do this and I can’t figure it out. I love him in both these characters. He’s just adorable as (spoiler alert) King Sejong and really cute as insurance-salesman/food blogger Dae Young. And he makes me hungry every time he eats, as both characters! King Sejong makes instant Ramen look so tasty! But he’s incredibly just “normal” looking to me. Maybe that’s it; he’s good looking, but not too beautiful, so he looks good with anyone.

Oh, and somehow I stumbled upon a fan video on YouTube of “I Remember You” and the only people in it was Park Bo Gum and Seo In Guk, looking so achingly and lovingly at each other, and the skinship…OMG, and now I want to see them in a drama as the OTP, just them. I’d watch the kdrama this video was from, but think I’d be disappointed they were brothers, not lovers. I’d set my drama it in historical times, and take the bromance up several notches, to romance. Like a Coffee Prince/Moonlight Drawn By Clouds fusion, only for reals! I don’t know why I would do this to myself, though. I’d be a wreck afterwards because 1. How these two emote their pain especially breaks me, 2. There would be a boatload of pain, and 3. One of both would absolutely die because set in ancient Korea, “sexual deviance” is probably punishable by death. I think I read a King was deposed for being gay at one point, but that could just be hearsay. That story would be amazing. I pretty much had the whole plot written within the 4.5 minute video. And for anyone interested…the FMV...https://youtu.be/fyS7013OXTY. And Bo Gum sings…really well.

I wrote too much, do I have room for a conversation? Maybe a really short one!

Episode 8/16 of The King Loves (Spoilers):

After San’s identity is revealed at Princess Wonsung’s pick- the-princess-tea-party, and camera pans to Dan:

Hubby: “Oh SNAP! I’m back on that slow boat to China!” *You saw that thought-bubble above Dan’s head, right?*

Me: Hahaha. ? But poor Dan, what did she ever do to get such a raw deal?

Hubby: Who’s he gonna pick? Dan or San?

Me: You want him to be with San. I think she’s better off with Rin.

Hubby: This is worse than Team “Vampire”/ Team “Wolf!” *I was team Pattinson, he was team Lautner*

Me: *just more of the usual uncontrollable laughing*

Moral of the Story: It’s never too late to learn something from your parents—and supplement it with Google. ?

2nd moral: It’s totally normal to think up dramas in your head when you have nothing else to do—or even if you have a ton of other stuff to do. Which is what I keep telling myself.

3rd...

waah i love this kind of knowledge
i always curious about history behind historical drama

moral: A show is good when you can ship the girl with both boys--which I can with "The King Loves." But Rin has my heart and I'm pretty sure San's too!

Hope the writer doesn't change the OTP and sticks to the book.

Not being faithful to the books would be a travesty!

@Ally,

Hmmm. What a coincidence. I've also been watching LET'S EAT 2, mainly to see Seo Hyun-jin. Hubby started out watching the first season, but I was in the throes of LOOKOUT, THE BEST HIT, and SEVEN DAY QUEEN, so only snuck a peek here and there. For some reason I was turned off by the female lead. I liked the Pomeranian named after the Cuban revolutionary hero more than his owner.

I totally agree re: Yoon Doo Joon in both seasons. Watching him eat and expound upon food is hilariously mesmerizing. It cracks me up no end. The guy is charming, even if he was kind of obnoxious as a kid. To me, it appeared that he liked Soo-ji in a pesky, "pigtails in the inkwell" way, and I think he still does. -- I was floored a while back to realize that that was him in SPLISH SPLASH LOVE. What a chameleon. ;-)

I'm only up to episode 7 of LET'S EAT 2. Was surprised to recognize Lee Joo-Seung as the "student" resident of the rooftop container abode. I'm hoping he refrains from arson and kidnapping, etc., as his criminal activities in VOICE were more than enough for me. *shudder*

Re: THE KING LOVES, I'm wondering what Queen Mom is up to. Maybe it doesn't matter who Won picks -- Mom might well countermand him and pick someone else, especially if she thinks the family status is inadequate. Does the Chancellor outrank the Finance Minister? -- As far as I can see at this time, the only way to save both women from fates worse than death is to have Won marry Dan and Rin marry San. Although whoever ends up with the volatile Princess Wonsung for a mother-in-law is probably in for a lousy existence. ;-)

I'm on episode 12. I can forgive the Personality of the heroine for a multitude of sins, because I love Seo Hyun Jin so much! I also like the second lead better and better each episode. I still love Dae Young, don't get me wrong, and dating him would be awesome! Imagine all the food! And the rooftop kid, I still don't know his back story! I didn't see Voice because of my aversion to seeing blood and guts, but I can imagine how psychotic he could be--he's terrifying in a puppy dog kind of way in this.

Oh, I like Princess Wongsung, or the actress that plays her, tremendously. Don't get between mama bear and her cub! No one will be good enough for her son--but she loves him unconditionally, so will hold herself back for him, I'm confident.

I'm glad you're watching The King Loves, I always enjoy your analysis, @pakalanapikake!

Oops! I was referring to the leading lady in LET'S EAT season 1.

I have no problem with Seo Hyun-jin's character. I understand where she's coming from, and see that she's got a good case of "once burned, twice shy." I suspect that there are "other factors" at play that have yet to be revealed.

Second lead Kwon Yool is beginning to let his hair down now that he's fraternizing with Dae-Young. He's been uptight about his public image, but it feels like his decorum is about to fly out the window.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping the rooftop resident only looks like a potential ax murderer, and has extenuating circumstances. But it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for. Eek!

A word to the wise: avoid VOICE if you're not up to a terrifying gore fest. Hanging out around sociopaths is not good for my mental health. It pains me to pull the plug on LJG, but I'm probably going to bail on CRIMINAL MINDS.

Over at THE KING LOVES, Jang Young-Nam is turning in a bang-up performance as Princess Wonsung. I see her as a momma bear, too. She's so coldly manipulative, however, that all I can do is shake my head at some of the stuff she pulls. And I was really surprised that her minions were out of the loop on Won's intervention when San was being interrogated. Mom seems to be slipping.

Or is she pulling more strings than meet the eye? The lady might be running a false-flag operation to flush out traitors like Song In and Wang Jeon. If that's the case, she may have a good reason for forcing Rin's hand.

I just noticed the episode 15-16 recap is up.

Aw, shucks, Ally. It's fun to bat around hypotheses with eagle-eyed Beanies. ;-)

I feel as if my own analytical powers are pooped out after SEVEN DAY QUEEN. At least I've recovered from the catharsis. ;-)

Wow who knew watching a drama would lead to that much information :o

I know, I took a couple hours just reading about everyone involved in the coup and how the Tran's came into power--they held power for close to 200 years after this. And, also had to fend off the Mongols at the same time General Ly was fighting them in Goryeo. Really fascinating.

Oh, the irony of having the Mongols invade Vietnam. Did the Tran dynasty successfully defend their kingdom from the Mongols?

Yes, they did, for a while. Vietnam is now just a sliver of what it once was. :(

@Ally August 11, 2017 at 4:01 PM

"Vietnam is now just a sliver of what it once was."

The Mongols made it all the way to the Holy Land and the gates of Vienna -- and obliterated pretty much everything in their path before attending to the succession when the Great Khan died. By the time they extended southward down through China into northern Vietnam, they were poised to overrun Southeast Asia.

It's very cool how the Tran Dynasty whooped the Mongols with superior military strategy and sent them packing. I love how they used a sure-fire tactic from 938 to end the third Mongol invasion 350 years later. They lured the Mongol fleet upriver at high tide -- which concealed iron-tipped poles rammed into the riverbed. As the tide receded, the large ships were impaled -- and turned into sitting ducks.

It reminds me of Admiral Yi Sun-shin's use of his intimate knowledge of the currents in Myeongryang Strait to even his outnumbered fleet's odds against the Japanese forces during the Imjin War. I really admire underdogs who persevere against great odds. It's even better when they triumph. ;-)

After reading up on how the Vietnamese kicked Mongol butt during the third invasion ca. 1287-88, I've come to the conclusion that they should have stuck with their cavalry and remained landlubbers. Mongols and boats don't seem to have worked well together, especially in light of their attempt to invade Japan. Just my $0.02. ;-)

You did your homework! Yes! Trần Hưng Đạo is a legend in Vietnam. Using nature to outsmart your enemy has alwats been a war tactic and the subject of many Cdramas of my childhood. One my husband and I watched recently was Red Cliff. It was great.

@Ally August 11, 2017 at 8:58 PM

It was interesting to look at a map of the Mongol expansion towards Europe. I realized that they stayed north of the Himalayas on their westward trek. But they did an eastern end-run due south through China. Vietnam was basically a buffer between the Middle Kingdom and the Southeast Asia.

Re: using nature to outsmart your enemy also works in reverse: think of Hannibal crossing the Alps with his elephants -- the Romans would never expect them to come over the passes. Surprise!

I've only seen one a couple of wuxia. A BATTLE OF WITS with Choi Siwon was quite interesting because it dealt with the Mozi, who were renowned defense strategists and combat engineers. NIRVANA IN FIRE has been on my to-watch list for about a year already. I've been wondering about RED CLIFF for a while now. Thanks for the hot tip! It sounds interesting. ;-)

This is so very, very interesting! Fascinating to learn how histories/people from different places are intertwined.

@Ally,

What fascinating family history! Thanks for sharing. ;-)

I agree that the story of General Ly / Lee would make a dynamite sageuk. Give it a title like "Avenging Phoenix" and maybe make it an international production like BICHEONMU. It would be epic. I'd love to see what screenwriter-historian Hwang Jin-Young (REBEL; KING'S DAUGHTER, SU BAEK-HYANG) would do with it.

I know, right! It's kind of ironic to think my ancestors are basically Lee enemies, but that I love Korea so much! 800 years makes a huge difference. Kind of getting Goblin feels now. That sageuk would be epic and great title! I was thinking "Rise of the Pheonix," myself. There you go Writer-nim, a working title and story line, do your magic. And, I would suggest Gong Yoo as the Rising Pheonix, himself--he could totally pass as Vietnamese!

Or tweak the title to "Flight of the Avenging Phoenix." That would fulfill the mandatory Kdrama wordplay requirement. ;-)

Interesting to learn that Gong Yoo could pass for Vietnamese. I'm Irish with Vikings in the family tree -- what do I know?!

Hey, I'd love to have some actual Lees, in particular Joon-gi, in the cast, too. Not to mention Jang Hyuk. Lee Jae-Ryong was impressive in battle in THE KING'S DAUGHTER. Must have enough badasses to mertilate the Mongols. ;-)

I'd be tempted to draft a couple of members of the World Officer Championship joint Korean team from THE KING 2HEARTS which I just finished watching. Lee Seung-gi, Jo Jung-seok, Choi Kwon, and Ha Ji-won should do the trick. ;-)

I guess you may have forgotten that my son may or may not resemble Gong Yoo, so there you go. Speaking of Lees, Lee dong Wook could join the cast too! Then I'd have my Goblin bromance back! Now, I have to watch this again...?

@Ally August 11, 2017 at 4:24 PM

"I guess you may have forgotten that my son may or may not resemble Gong Yoo"

*removes foot from mouth*

That revelation may or may not have completely slipped what's left of my mind! Touché! ;-)

King loves recap is out--get over there! ?

Don't be sorry! That was a super fascinating read! I love Korean history, and when it intertwines with other nations like this, even better!

2nd Moral: I make up stories in my head constantly, and have several fully fleshed out drama ideas ... ;)

Speaking of "sexual deviance", Korean history and Korean history on film, have you seen the King and the Clown? It's a movie with LJK in it, who plays a clown who mocks the king and is prostituted because he's very pretty, and the King falls in love with him. I haven't actually watched it all, and it seems quite dark in places but I thought you might be interested. (it's the 9th highest grossing film in Korea- random fact for you)

I certainly will check this out. Is it based on a true story? It sounds like something I've read. Dark is fine as long as there is redemption. Gratuitous sex and violence, usually not--and no mass murders or horror films please--unless it's Train to Busan, that was the exception to the rule. Thanks for the recommendation.

According to Wikipedia it is based on a play that is based on a small snippet from Annals of the Joseon Dynasty that briefly mentions the king's favorite clown.
I just read the synopsis again and it sounds like it could get quite violent in places... as well as appearing to be thematically dark? (spoilers maybe: King basically goes insane and forces the clown to perform how his mother died, and the clowns companion gets tortured for mocking the king... but both clowns escape at the end...)
Idk if you'd want to watch it but *shrugs* thought I'd mention it anyway so you're welcome I guess.

If I believe the romance, then it might be worth it!

@sicarius, @Ally,

One guess as to who the monarch is.

Hint: THE KING AND THE CLOWN is based on the stage play "Yi" (Lee). Yeonsangun, of course. Oh Man-seok originated the role of Gong-gil that Lee Joon-gi played in the film, with Kam Woo-sung as his acrobat partner, Jang-sang.

I've tried to avoid spoilers while addressing the issues of violence (yes) and raunchiness (no). This is a pretty modest film.

The OST is gorgeous, and hits me where I live every time. I've put links to two versions of "Fate" on my fan wall, with Ms. Lee Sun-hee, the original artist, as soloist and in a phenomenal duet with Kyuhyun on FANTASTIC DUO that was recorded live in April 2016.

The cinematography, costumes, makeup, and sets are beautiful. Various traditional Korean performing arts are depicted. The mask dances and plays are bawdily reminiscent of Commedia dell'Arte or Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, complete with snappy wordplay, slapstick, Punch and Judy fisticuffs, and potty humor. Gong-gil plays the female roles, and is surprising convincing as a tart.

The film is intense. It deals with corruption at all levels of society, and the two jesters and their street performer colleagues who lampoon the goings-on at court. LJG is nothing short of amazing in this role. Kam Woo-sung is terrific as his hot-headed cohort. Jung Jin-Young portrays the tyrant as yet another flavor of basket case that differs from the recent portrayals by Kim Ji-suk and Lee Dong-gun.

There is a torture scene. Yeonsangun goes ape and commences slaughtering anyone who pisses him off in a literati purge. Gong-gil's gentle and sympathetic demeanor attracts the king's attention; the jester gets an idea for a tableau after hearing scuttlebutt. Jang-sang lobbies to leave court after their performance because of the increasingly volatile environment in the palace. Nok-su becomes jealous of Gong-gil, and various factions at court turn restive.

The relationship between the clowns is ambiguous but above board, which is more than I can say for the pervy yangban who tries to take advantage of the starving performers.

There are several deleted scenes on YouTube that cast interesting sidelights on the story and the characters. You might want to look for them after watching. At least one of them, in my opinion, should not have been cut.

I found the film to be very touching, and have cried my eyes out when watching it several times. If SEVEN DAY QUEEN twisted your heart into a pretzel, be prepared for THE KING AND THE CLOWN to deliver catharsis.

Thank you for this! I haven't been in the mood for full on emotional acrobatics (so no hearts being twisted into pretzels this summer), so saving SDQ for when I need some amygdala calisthenics! *going to check out your fan wall now*

Wow, that is really interesting! You know, learning historical stuff like this is one of the awesome side benefits of Dramabeans. :)

likely because most of them changed their name to Nguyen

Would you elaborate? I don't understand your point, here. (And I'm so curious!!)

Good question! I don't really know why the Trans made them change their names, unless it had something to do with to where they were being exiled, the mountains. During Chinese rule, people in certain areas of Vietnam had governors of those areas change everyone's last name to their own so that when they collected taxes, it would be easy to tell which taxes went to whom. The Vietnamese never really had any last names prior to this--so it was very random how they were given out. So it was probably because the mountain inhabitants already had that surname and the Ly's were forced there. Also, many people during the ruling of certain families changed their own last name to that family to signify loyalty and probably so they wouldn't be executed if their last name was the prior ruling family's name! That's why there are so many Nguyen and Trans around. The longer the ruling family had power, the more people born into that time period would take their lady name, whether or not they had any ancestry to them.

Which may mean that I'm not related at all to the Tran's of the 1200's, but my cousin tells me that she's pretty sure we are the descendants of concubines to the king because we're all too attractive to not be---LOL--and you had to be at least a little easy on the eyes to be a concubine! I'll take it!

Oh, wow - I didn't know that. That is really interesting. :)

Hi Beanies !

An other stressful week because of house-hunting. I won't sleep well until I finally move out.
I like baking cakes and would like to know which Korean cakes or snacks are easy to cook. It will relieve my stress :)

Seven Day Queen : It was so beautiful and the ending is one of the best I've seen in a drama.

Father is Strange : When the angst will be completely gone, I will watch it.

Woman of Dignity : PARK BOK JAAAA !!!

Happy Friday :D

I'm still on episode 8 of Seven Days Queen and I just have to stop myself not to finish it in one go. I just love it that much.
I'm glad I picked it up when it was finished airing. All the characters are compelling, and this is one rare occassion when I don't hate the female lead. Chae Kyung is awesome. ❤️

Oh you're lucky to watch it for the first time. I want to erase my memory and rewatch. I agree Chae Kyung became one of my favorite heroine.

How's the drama Woman of Dignity? I keep on reading really positive things about it here and there. ....... I was under the impression that viewers didn't really know what to make of it.

It's a really well made makjang. Kim Sun Ah's portrays perfectly her mysterious character. You will root for Kim Hee Sun's character since she's the "purest" one. There's a lot of cheating going tho.

This is so weird but I can't help but root for Kim Sun ah, the lady has done unethical stuff but man her voice,her looks and the way she acts: she is goals ? n its the first time I M watching her act

I root for her sometimes but I remember she has an evil plan. Still she's better than those rich people.

True-She is gorgeous, and have always been!

I love it. The first 10 episodes are kind of slow, but that gives you enough time to set up the relationship grid. Things pick up after that, and essentially it gets better. I think what is impressive in this show is how they show different sides of the women in the story. The central characters are of course Kim Hee Sun and Kim Sun-Ah, but the side characters are well rounded and comic relief is provided at the most unexpected times.
There is as mango had mentioned, a lot of extra-martial affairs going on though.

omg woman of dignity is just getting better and better, i really love how they contrast Kimm sun ah's character to Kim Hee sun's character, can t wait for next week!

I'm so ready for next episodes !

Glad to have found someone as addicted a me with WOD ;)

waah i have done house hunting too

The hardest thing I've ever done !

So, I still can't get over Forest of Secret. It was smart, intense, and awesome all around. I need that kind of drama again in my life.
And I'm having Joo Seung Woo withdrawal syndrome. Help!

Forest of Secrets was wonderful, although towards the end I would have sacrificed some plot twists just wanted to watch Bae Doo Na and Joo Seung Woo's characters hang out together more. They took roles that could easily have slipped into stereotypes and brought them to compelling, heartbreaking life, and they did it without buckets of tears or chewing the scenery to shreds. The tight directing and the marvelous attention to detail in the writing were lovely as well. It was refreshing to watch a crime show where the cops and prosecutors were actually competent and knew how to do their jobs.

I finished "Tazza" today and the Joo Seung Woo withdrawal got worse. This is serious, I'm addicted.

Happy Friday Beanies ? !
My week’s highlights :
1. Swooning over Tae Woon Oppa (aka Tae Swoon, Tae Coupon, Kim Jung Hyun) ? and giggling while watching School 2017 and all beanies posts related to it ?
2. First time watching Oppa war event , This clearly was history in the making ?
- I laughed and had too much fun that my cheeks hurt ?
- Now I officially have a Sabu and a Sunbae ?❤, plus discovered the power of Beanie levels :
o @ravennightstar my Sabu : speciality Errand boy (girl, lol) ? who delivers faster than The Flash ?‍?
o @ seralovestteobokki my Sunbae : Rooftop room dweller ? who provided her rooftop for the party ?
o As for myself : a self-appointed sponsor who stole the credit card of her rich Chaebol doppelganger ?
- DB community : priceless ? *sending finger-hearts*

I went to sleep and woke up to the epic oppa war, trust Beanies to make even a fanwar ridiculously funny and cute!

Guys check my fanwall for preview! ?

Sunbae I'm glad you're already taking your medicine , see School 2017 ep8 thread ;) *not that you had these since ep1 ?*

hahaha thank you hoobae!

?

what is oppa war? where and between who all oppas? when did it happen

on tv?

Sorry for all the deleted comments... I need to proofread better! This is what I meant to say: @azzo1 noticed that a new beanie calling herself @mrsparkhaejin just registered. Actually, several of azzo's posse noticed it first. As most beanies know, Azzo is PHJ's one and only; therefore, the Oppa-war began. If you look at their beanie walls, you'll be entertained for hours. Also, @ravennightstar, @kayedrama, @yuelie, @yyishere, and probably some others have war stories on their walls too!!!

ha ha.. got it.. but that's too greedy..

I mean its PHJ.. more than one women are absolutely allowed to lust/dream marry him :D

I second the question - what is this? Super curious.

If you follow this link http://www.dramabeans.com/members/kudoran/activity/193454/ our Oppa War Archivist, @kudoran has gone out of her way to chronologically list when, where and how the Oppa started. If you're interested, please have a read. It's very interesting and fun!! ?

Happy Friday all!

Anyone check out Manhole: feel so good?

I saw episode 1 and it's bizzare and zany and the lead guy seems to be high on something. ?

But I like it! Haha.

I love how invested Jae Joong is in being completely insane and dramatic in pining for his 28 year lost chance at eternal love! It helps that he is a big puppy despite his incessant whining and squaking- how cute and sweet was that birthday fireworks moment?? (Before the police came though... ???)

UEE has a few awkward moments but I I'm looking forward to episode 2 and see how it pans out.

Right now I love the energy, the dramatic flair that everyone has, even the bad CGI and tiny aliens ???. And I hope that this will get me out of my slump. Though I think I'm cursed, since I would like a drama with terribly low ratings and risk of getting cut. *sigh*

Agree with me? Think I'm insane? Haha.

And oh I've dropped Strongest Deliveryman and Criminal Minds. Sorry Junki Oppa. ?

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
좋은 주말 보내세요! ❤️ (Just learnt this in class! ?)

I expected this type of humor in Manhole. I'm still not completely sold but I like the female friend.
I dropped Criminal Minds too. I don't feel the excitement to continue.

I'm enjoying the show. Cannot wait for the next episode :)

He is outright going crazy. Desperate and angry and running everywhere in slippers. All of his whacky actions are funny. The show is bad but he is so into it that you hardly notice any other character. His female friend is perfectly complimenting him.
Show is bad and big disappointment if you compare with PROPOSAL DAISAKUSEN but it has this unique atmosphere and energy that keeps you interested.
Romance and relationships is weak point of the show

Oh is this a Japanese remake too? I didn't realise.

Its surely is inspired from Proposal Daisakusen. Too many similar actions and activities.
Also @michykdrama you mentioned "A Girl & Three Sweethearts" several times in open threads naa? It was in my on-hold list and now watching it.

I can't believe you like ProDai so much. I watched the whole damn thing but it annoyed me so much. The girl you're secretly in love with is getting married to someone else, you get the chance to go back in time, and you hardly do ANYTHING when you go back. I was expecting effort.

"...even the bad CGI and tiny aliens..."

Haha! I still don't know what to make out about the little aliens in black capes. Maybe it's just me but it almost seemed jarring a little bit. ...... I'm still giving episode 2 a chance. I'll watch it later tonight and see what I think about the whole thing.

Yes the editing could be better (did all the good editors go on strike?!) but I love the upbeat feeling and general energy of the whole thing. Which I felt was missing in Criminal Minds (especially!) and (less so) Strongest Deliveryman.

@korfan,

"little aliens in black capes"

Nano-vaders! Bwahaha! ;-)

*laughing*

The tiny aliens did look Vader-esque, didn't they? ..... I think it's the illuminated eyes that stopped the tiny ones from completely evoking the Vader aesthetic!

Watched episode 1 and 2. It's hilarious, totally going for low brow humour, not everyone's cup of tea but I am liking it so far! Jae Joong is the lovable slacker and I reckon this will be a really memorable character in his career. I am not loving UEE in it, and is it just me or is she just way too skinny at the moment? When she was standing on the side of the field, her arms and legs are scarily thin, I am worried for her health! The side characters are quite fun, I love the idea that every time he travels back to the present story line EVERYONE has the potential to change to a different character totally. Looking forward to what is coming next and hopefully it will continue on its wacky way and not disappoint!

yep low brow humor indeed...watched both episodes and I'm not sure if I'll continue...I want to like it but there's so much yelling going on

Oooh is that in episode 2? Watching it soon! I need to study korean for spelling test tml.

And yes, the baggy clothes do make UEE seems thinner than normal.

I watched until episode 2. I'm not completely sold, but it's getting interesting. I don't really like the plot of the male lead trying to amend his past mistakes just to prevent the female lead wedding in a week. Dude had 20 years to confess, why did he wait until the very last min? But I had fun watching ep 2. I like Jung Hye Sung's character in that drama and somehow low key ship her with Bong Pil instead.

Yes I'm liking her a lot too! I think she does these dramatic comedy roles very well. Girl has good comedic timing!

The tiny aliens with the chipmunk voice made me spill my drink. I thought 'are the Ewoks coming?'

I wonder if this is in fact a Star Wars reference - at first they seem like Siths with the black cape, looking out of their spaceship, and then the camera zooms out and and presto, they are tiny aliens. ? So bizarre.

It was so random, I was like ?!? ???

But I think that's part of the charm of the show- it's totally out there, with the aliens! ?

I watched the first episode without subs so I may have missed a few things, but I found the guy really irritating with his whiny tantrums. He just seems so immature he shouldn't even be thinking about a girlfriend yet and I see no reason why she would ever pick him. I just don't know if it's bad acting or if the character is designed this way with a story arc of how he grows up through the struggles of trying to correct his past mistakes and becomes somebody deserving of the girl. I hope it's the latter. But I'm not going to watch it again until I know that for sure.

Haha judging from KBS's track record I doubt they'll cut the show short just because it has low ratings, or so I hope (fingers crossed).
I thought EP1 was a mixed bag for me, there were parts that were funny then there were parts I yawned at, BUT episode 2 was a game changer especially starting from midway and I am now HOOKED! This show with its wacky, campy humour probably does not appeal to the general public, but once you've gone through the introduction stage the fun really begins. I am looking forward to all the unexpected changes in Bong Pil & co's life paths because of his time travels the most, and I also love all of his adorkable friends! As for romance, while it is sufficiently cute, I think it can take a backseat in this show that is more about humour, life choices, personal growth and friendship ?!

Hmmm..I watched only ep 1. It was funny. LOL funny-but I felt it lacked something. Can't put my finger on what exactly is missing, but maybe I'd watch the 2nd episode and see how it goes.
The aliens.Oh My God. They were the best thing in the entire episode. That one who was continuously twitching and swaying and looking around?I loved that little troll ?

@michykdrama,

Ah, our viewing paths have crossed again. ;-)

I've only seen the first episode of MANHOLE. It had some great visual spoofs. Honestly, that trip through the manhole vortex looked like it was lifted straight out of STARGATE SG-1. And the alien spaceship was literally a cross between Isaac Azimov's Fantastic Voyage and FIREFLY, with LEXX's moth shuttles on the side. Har!

Screwball lunacy is what I need right about now.

I'm still watching CRIMINAL MINDS, but may have to turn tail myself. VOICE was violent and warped enough, thankyouverymuch.

PakalanaPikake! *waves hi!*

Yes it's nice that we have similar shows again! Hope you have been well ?

I'm really liking the craziness and hope that it will stay fun and good!

Just finnished Ep2. I like it, the show was smoother in E2. Uee does look thin in some scenes. Preview for next week looks good.

@john,

Thanks for your update. I haven't gotten around to episode 2 yet. I'm glad to hear that it's settling into its stride. ;-)

I am sorry if this has been asked, I have a question about notification on the site.

Do you get a notification if someone replies your post or mention you in DB site?
or get an email about the comment?

Lol. I was gong to post about this. Currently you will only get a notification is someone responds to a post on your wall or someone else's wall. You wouldn't get a notification for a post on the main blog with all the articles, recaps, news etc. It would be the most awesome thing in the world if we got notifications for responses to all posts so we wouldn't have to keep on checking back and refreshing like mad people. Please make it happen DramaBeans. Please make it happen.

pleaseee

thanks, I thought there's something wrong with my account and the setting,

I wish I know if people reply my comment cause I become busier for the rest of this month and I can't reply to many comment.

Happy Weekend beanies!

5 years ago when i started watching kdramas, the 'It' boys were LMH, KSH, LJS, Joo Won...Now I see a few actors who might potentially become huge Kim Jung Hyun, Woo Do Hwan, Yang Se Jong. Will they be the next wave? Even if they may not get very popular, I am thus far impressed with their acting prowess and ability to draw viewers into their characters.

It's nice to see new actors. I wish we had more actresses.

They will keep coming ,for sure ?

I am glad to see them become more popular, but more than that I want them to be real actors - so when people says their name, it is their acting and performance they keep remembering more, not just some handsome face and hot body. lol. Strangely, I'm easier to connect well with these three newcomers, rather than LMH, KSH and others in that group during that time. I also never fangirl any of these actors. Maybe one condition for me to fangirl any actor / actress is how I can connect with their acting.

Like you I never fangirl over previous "IT" but the recent are more appealing. Their acting and projects choices are better imo.

Glad that I'm not the only one. Compared to actors, actresses honestly have more difficult time to place themselves in this industry. I'm welcoming more talented new actresses as well but the competition with idols are so strong. Even among the existing actresses in 20s to 30s, there are still many of them yet to establish themselves.

Exactly. Talented actresses are still getting secondary roles when they have the potential to be leads. There's also the choice to have really young actresses play grown-ups when they lacked not really acting skills but depth as an adult.

I think another part of the problem is that we don't really get as many strongly written female characters. A lot of dramas are focused around male characters as the agents or points of attraction, and so actors who are skilled and have been building up their filmography and land such roles are more easily catapulted into A-list category.

I think the mandatory enlistment is helpful for actors who are starting their career. That way, they will be given more opportunities to prove themselves. I'm actually happy with new faces! I don't like it when people just watch dramas just for the known oppas.

i'm glad to know them deeper in school 2017

But, but, but will these new actors reach the same level of popularity that LMH, KSH, LJS, Joo Won experienced? That I'm afraid might not happen. The new actors are better in acting, and I'm grateful for that. It's just that they will not reach the global popularity that their seniors accomplished at a young age.

There's one actor that I think can probably do that. And that's Lee Seo Won of Blossoms Entertainment. He is under the same agency as PBG and SJK. He also has the charisama and the talent to be big.

I do think that overall the new actors are better in acting. Of the 87/88 batch, I'd say Joo Won was the most versatile but he was also the least popular compared to the rest. Popularity does not always go hand in hand with acting skills.

Talking about agencies, that's also important as far as getting the roles and exposure.

Yes ! Joo Won was the only one among them who caught my attention. Gaksital is his best project and sadly hard to top.

"Whatever it is, I just hope that the more talented and deserving will get better opportunities."

This.

While most of beanies go for Kim Jung Hyun, my IT boy right now is definitely Yang Se-jong. ❤️

I'm swooning over Kim Jung Hyun but I'm officially a fan of Yang Se Jong after Duel <3

oh oh don't worry yang se jong is also messing up with my oppa lists hahaha

I'm definitely glad I picked the right rookie actors and they shine this year with their talent. I love both of them equally and I won't choose anyone of them, both are my IT boys. Next is Woo Do Hwan.

How big exactly is your rooftop room?

It's bigger than what you think.

She'll make room for them, I bet! ?

I'm eating sushi now. When something goes wrong, I go to sushi bar ? hahaha.

And.... now I'm craving sushi.

?❤️?

Happy Friday All! Trivia question for you folks. Who remembers the drama that had a giant Adirondack chair with steps in the back that was actually a bench?! The main characters kept going back to sit on it. I'm on vacation at the beach in Wildwood, NJ with my family and got way too excited when I saw one right there. When dramas infiltrate real life! ??

Hi, pickledplumtree!!

*waves in general direction of Cape May*

You're down the Shore and I'm up by the Delaware Water Gap. Small world! ;-)

Hey!!! I was in that area last monday! :D

Rescue Me - i love it.
Any recommendations on something on lines of intense love story or a drama universally acclaimed (sthg that good that it can't go wrong.. e.g. sherlock s1 or hustle s1)

Other than that.. watching only variety.. can anyone suggest some new variety shows to watch .. covered following

1N2D, RM, Hyori's stay, 3 meals a day, heartstring, Happy Together(depends on the guest),Radio star (not captivated), New journey to the west, crime scene, sherlock, genius (can someone suggest sthg similar from any country? already watched the mole), food shows (not interested), lipstick show with heechul (meh), fashion show with heechul hani (meh), family outing..abnormal summit (1 ep seen) , KB , law of the jungle, babies show... idol are not a motivation to watch the drama

DEAD Stock - japanese ongoing drama. 2 episodes subbed.

Over in my country, the local drama fans are crying foul over the remake of "Coffee Prince". I am not a fan of that drama, in fact I hated it so much but the arguments kind of interesting:
1) Most expressed unhappiness over the possibility of any actor portraying Gong Yoo's role even in this case, featuring the currently most popular actor in my country who has had 2 back to back highest rated local dramas under his belt. So, it came to my interest of why so much backlash when he is so popular and so much loved? Would this scenario occurred should GY didn't experienced popularity resurgence through Goblin.
2) No one, almost no objection on the actress playing Yoon Eun Hye's role. The actress herself is not so popular but no backlash on her. This bring to my attention on why? Because as far as I know, YEH is the breakout star of CP, she even overshadowed GY. Is it because she is already a forgotten star? A non-factor in dramaland?
3) I know CP featured gay theme so I am interested to see how they tackled this subject (though I generally don't watch local drama) since LGBT is a taboo subject in my country.

lol...you mean fatah amin, is it? i mean, that guy is a total sweetheart, but i rather have Aiman as Han Kyul than him. he still stiff as ever. he's like suzy of Malaysia.

bwahaha. I never thought someone would actually mention Fattah Amin here ???? So he is Malaysia's Suzy? ???? *laughing so hard*

Well who is the heroine anyway? It has been a long time I don't bother to check about our drama.

Janna Nick. superb leading lady btw.
and yeah, he definitely Malaysia's Suzy. handsome, sweet and kind but suck at acting.

Janna Nick is definitely a solid leading lady and of course she is also well loved. I think she is popular enough with some acting chop - that's why no one is objecting her. Anyway I might check this one just for her later.

Anyway I'm still cringing whenever I remember FA in that Playboy's drama. hah.

Is she a solid leading lady? I never watched any of her drama before or basically I have not watched any local drama lately. I stalked her IG and visually, she looked cute cross-dressing as a boy. Hope she won't pull a "Scha Al-yahya" version of tomboy. SAY is a terrible actress, even after so many years, her acting is still plain bad.

LOL. Hello fellow Malaysian.
Ya, I read that Astro wanted him after back to back success and mega hit dramas. But your description of him being Malaysia's version of Suzy is epic. At least Fattah Amin is better looking than Zul Ariffin.

Hahaha...that's the testament of how popular FA is, having his name mentioned in DB.

which country would this be?subbed?

malaysia. usually there will be no sub tho.

Malaysia. there are some dramas that are english subbed when I watched it on tv here in this country. Not sure about the web though.

I don't really care about this remake anyway, it's going to suck regardless who they casted. It will be popular nevertheless as long as there's enough romance but that's it. It's not that I want to sound so negative but if Kdrama production which has better quality than our production not really able to do a good remake, what more with ours.

Agree! They'll just turn this into something cringeworthy like the rest of the dramas. I wanted to be proven wrong but I won't get my hopes up

Hi Everyone! ....... I hope you are all doing well today!

A nerve-wracking couple of days for me as I was experiencing computer problems. I suddenly had website loading problems and I could only access Dramabeans after doing a Disk Cleanup ----- I had to do this every single time I tried to go to the site! ....... The situation started getting even worse when, on any given site, the browser would suddenly close!

Can you imagine, no access to Dramabeans and our awesome fellow Beanies??! Oh no!! ....... After a couple of different troubleshooting attempts, I decided to reinstall Windows. I was a little anxious about this because I've never, ever, had to do this before on any computer I've ever had or worked with. ....... However, I'm happy to report that the problems seemed to have cleared up and things are running smoothly! Yay!

Read/watched the Oppa War event on the Wall. *laughing* ....... The Beanies are great and are certainly the highlight of any day!

This week:

Reunited Worlds - I checked out episodes 1 and 2 ....... but I didn't watch either episode in its entirety ....... and I wasn't bothered that I had perhaps missed important parts and/or info. It wasn't awful or anything like that, but I'm not sure if I'll continue watching this or not.

Manhole - After all the less than stellar reviews by our fellow Beanies, I was curious about it so I checked out the first episode. Let's see, I didn't really laugh, I didn't really get annoyed, I didn't really get hooked. So basically, no reaction. ....... I'm don't want to write it off completely but either things need to settle down in the story or something's totally missing. We'll see what happens with episode 2.

That's all for now. ...... Take care everyone and have a great Friday!

I've started having issues watching Dramafever because they are outdated and use Flash. Only a couple browsers support flash now so I had to have IT install Firefox on my work computer so I could keep watching! I was without Dramafever at work for a couple days! It was stressful.

Yes, computer issues can certainly be more than a little stressful.

When computer issues come up, I'm always worried that in the attempt to remedy the original problem, things will actually get worse or that it'll cause a new problem.

try fastdrama, it works well with addblock and they are one of the fastest with subtitles

Happy friday, everyone! This is my second OT ?

Before my sem started, I was watching Asian films because I was planning to put up a film blog. Here are some of the films I was able to watch:
My Sassy Girl (Korean) - I can't believe I watched it just recently. I loved it and I want to rewatch it again! Now I get the hype and why it's considered a classic ? Jun Ji Hyun is the queen of rom-coms and Cha Tae Hyun is such a great actor! Also, the cinematography is pretty great, considering that it was released in 2001. Most of all, I LOVE THE ENDING. I like the subtle symbolism and wasn't first sure of the direction of the movie - but it's great because it makes me more curious and awed by it.
Our Times (Taiwanese) - Watched this one because it was recommended by my sister and also other people who I follow on Twitter. Honestly, it reminded me of A Little Called Love (the Thai movie starring Mario Maurer). It was pretty decent for a film that tackles high school love haha. And omg, the actors were so cute! (JERRY YAN'S CAMEO ❤️) But it felt rushed and the latter part didn't make much sense, so yeah.
The Beauty Inside (Korean) - Watched this one after Fight My Way because I heard Park Seo Joon was there! The story reminded me of David Levithan's novel. I wasn't able to finish this, but I love how the story was executed. Han Hyo Joo was so good in here!
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Japanese) - Wanted to watch it for so long since a classmate of mine recommended me Mamoru Hosada's films. I didn't find it boring, unlike some people who reviewed it. The ability to time travel would likely entice a lot of people. I love how it emphasized that time waits for no one. It was able to show how Makoto's small decisions have bigger consequences than she thought - how something we though is small could affect the bigger picture.
I have a lot of Korean films on the list, and also Wong Kar Wai's films. Japanese animated films, especially the Ghibli ones, are also on the list! Please recommend me good films so that I can add it to my list! ?

So many great actors were in The Beauty Inside. One of my favorite films! She had chemistry with all of them!

Yes! I was surprised Park Shin Hye also made a cameo. Park Seo Joon's part was so good!

This was really early in my dramawatching and I had no idea who these people were, then I binged several kdramas the following months, and EVERYONE is in this film. Would totally recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen it. It was a great introduction for me to all these stellarly talented people. I watched it for Yoo Yoen Seok and waited the ENTIRE movie before he showed up!

It really is a beautiful film, no pun intended! I also quite liked the US series it was based off of.

Beauty Inside!!!
the thing that I regret a bit about that movie was when HanHyoJoo and LeeDongWook (WooJin) had fight, why it supposed to be with LDW? I mean, it could be with LeeHyunWoo or YooYeonSeok instead. Lol.
I recommend Whistle Blower (ParkHaeIl), The Flu (Hyukie oppa), A Dynamite Family (Chansung).
You could watch Pandora too

Ahh, I wasn't able to get to Lee Dong Wook's part, but I was so looking forward to it! I'll probably continue the film when there is time. Ohh nice, thanks for the recommendations!

If you haven't seen the Taiwanese movie: You are the Apple of my Eye (那些年- 我们追的女孩), it's a must! It's similar to Our Times but better. And the theme song is ❤️❤️❤️.

This and Our Times are 2 of my favourite Taiwan movies.

Our Times was the first Taiwanese movie I watched! Will check out You are the Apple of my Eye ?

Adding on to this, try Cafe.Waiting.Love too! It's adapted from a novel by the same writer who penned the novel behind You Are the Apple of My Eye.

Putting those on my list!

Our Times, A Little Thing Called Love and You're The Apple of My Eyes have similar themes that's why they're usually recommended. I like Our Times the best because we see the relationship between the leads develop naturally. A bittersweet ending would have been better.

You might have already some of them but here is a list of recommendation :)

Rom-com : Windstruck (Jun Ji Hyun & Jang Hyuk)
Thriller : The King (Jo In Sung, Jung Woo Sung, Ryu Joon Yeol)
Veteran (Hwang Jung Min & Yoo Ah In)
Comedy, friendship, retro : Sunny (Shim Eun Kyung, Kang Sora, Lee Hyo Rin, Park Jin Joo)
High School : Yesterday Once More (Chinese movie, friendships, coming-of-age), Flying Colors (Japanese high school movie, inspirational movie), Hot Young Bloods (Lee Jong Suk & Park Bo Young)
Suspense, crime : Prophecy (Ikuta Toma & Toda Erika)
Melodrama : Classic (Jo Seong Woo & Son Ye Jin)
Historical : The Throne (Yoo Ah In & Song Kang Ho), The Last Princess (Son Ye Jin, Kim Jae Wook), Ode To My Father (Hwang Jung Min)
Thriller, comedy : A Hard Day (Lee Sun Gyun & Jo Jin Woong), A Violent Prosecutor (Hwang Jung Min & Kang Dong Wan)

I agree with how the leads developed naturally, but was kinda disappointed with the ending of Our Times. I heard of Windstruck! (They say it's a prequel of My Sassy Girl?) Will try to check out the films you've recommended ?