Premiere Watch: Age of Youth 2
This week we finally have the premiere of JTBC’s Age of Youth 2, the sequel to last year’s critically acclaimed sleeper hit about five college-age women who share a house together. It’s one of dramaland’s rare sequels that’s actually a sequel and not a spinoff, so we get to pick right back up with the Belle Epoque girls and see how they’ve grown and changed since we last saw them.
Age of Youth 2
Time slot: Friday & Saturday
Episode count: 12
Reasons to watch: The obvious reason would be if you were a fan of the first season, though that probably means you’ve already penciled the premiere date into your calendar. The writer, Park Yeon-seon, is a major draw for Age of Youth, as she has a very eclectic sensibility and a knack for creating cult hit dramas (like White Christmas, Mixed-up Investigative Agency, Alone in Love). The first season of Age of Youth was an unexpected mix of mystery and slice-of-life, and the series was praised for its relatable and realistic portrayal of youths. They struggled with jobs, college, boyfriends, and parents, all from the perspective of five very different young women.
Of course, at the heart of everything was the friendship that developed among the five girls. The trajectory from passive-aggressive roommate wars to eventual understanding, growth, and emotional support was genuinely touching (not to mention that the petty fights were hilariously realistic). The second season brings some changes to the cast: Ji-woo will replace Park Hye-soo as the wallflower maknae, and Ryu Hwa-young will only be returning for a cameo as badass Kang Unni. There’s a new mystery this season and a new roommate, and love interests lined up for all of the girls.
The best news is that writer Park Yeon-seon has said that work for Season 2 began when she realized that she had more of Park Eun-bin’s story left to tell: “Concluding Ji-won’s [Park Eun-bin’s character] story was the trigger for Age of Youth 2.” She was my favorite character and the one who held all the girls together with her sunny personality, so I’m thrilled that she’ll get a bigger storyline this year. Can’t wait!
Via Herald Pop
- Chills and thrills in latest teaser for Age of Youth 2
- Onew leaves Age of Youth 2, last-minute replacement sought
- A new housemate and a new mystery for Age of Youth 2
- Spot the odd one out in character posters for Age of Youth 2
- The Tall One stares down naked Kim Min-seok in Age of Youth 2 teaser
- The housemates of Belle Epoque pair up with their partners for a dance
- Changes and growth in store for Age of Youth 2 roommates
- Belle Epoque girls come home to a surprise in first Age of Youth 2 teaser
- The housemates reunite for Age of Youth Season 2