Open Thread #515

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

happy friday!
problem of the day: what would you do with a friend who does cool things, but leaves everything to the last moment and then relies on you to save him? I can´t decide whether to have mercy and take part in it or let him finally learn his lesson. Actually I might just go and help and then give him a good beating. On one hand I am someone who is not capable of not helping when I do have the time and ability, on the other hand GAWD! you just DON´t call someone 2 days before the event and say you need a couple dozen movie props by sunday! infuriating, innit?
on the other hand it sounds so bizarre and interesting that I am just very curious.

I watched bits and pieces this week, of Manhole, Criminal minds etc but had no time to finish any episodes. except School. btw school started today in my country what about yours?

also applied for a new position but got the dreaded sentence on the interview (inside the museum but different tasks).... that if they give that job to me, I wont be making tours and doing wat I do now EXCUSE ME am I in house arrest that cannot be a proper reason to not let me try new things. super disgusting attitude. I even thought before they might say it and decided I dont want to work here any more if this is what they go by slavery was abolished here in 1819 after all.

I think I´d rather become a guerilla activist and revolutionary.

I think I have to go check twitter and Insta to see if Teacher or Siwon have posted any new cute pictures with children or animals. *goes off in search of consolation*

Hi! Did u change ur PP as K***A**** new logo? lol

yes redfox did. There's a post on fanwall of the KA page sreenshot ?

lmao, I just find the lil boy running super cute

Tell him it's the last time you're helping him and if he does it again he can just ask someone else.

School didn't start smoothly where I live. There's less employees in pre-school so some schools are not open and in those who are open the teachers struggle to keep an eye on kids. My classes (I'm in college) started this week but since I'm going to study abroad my classes will start in October.

Agh you better find a job in an other museum.

Or I might just not show on the agreed day is that too much?
Finding a job is tricky offers only come by around once a tear.

HEART.

Year! Oh thanks for the laugas, autocorrect

Drat! Laughs!

Those museum employers must be in cahoots with your keyboard. Even auto correct is against you today! LOL!

I would feel bad for that friend. Well I can't say no to people.
That's a pity. It might be better to stay in your current position then.

I second @mango. Final warning and that's it. In my experience these type people either A. find someone else to try and mooch off of or B. actually do eventually do it themselves.

SO true!

I think it's important to establish boundaries with people when you begin the relationship. You should never make excuses for someone and think after they've inconvenienced you 3, 5, 7 times they'll snap out of it. You need to tell them they "did wrong and should reflect" as soon as they start flaking. Like the first time they space you should demand an apology but let it go when they do. If they go into "It's not really my fault and I'm sorry if for some reason you're upset, drama queen" then DROP THEM. If it's just an honest mistake and they own it then it's fine. But if they do it again then it shows there's a pattern there and if they're not capable of changing well, you have to live with it or cut them loose.

I think in this particular case since it's gone on a while I'd take the tack of saying something like, "This is not the first time I've had to bail you out. And I'm sorry I haven't made it clear before but this REALLY is a problem for me. So this is absolutely the last time I do a bail out, I am done after this. Now, if you'd like some help getting better about not having it all go kaplooey at the last minute as your friend I am here for you. But no more last minute saves."

hi superfox
is the job you interviewed for a better paying job (if it's in the same museum, gotta go for the cash)?

it is more like I get out of darkness literally (our museum is completely dark underwater world)

You want a new position from your employer? Right a polite, and very persuasive letter to them about how you can improve that place and make everyone's life easier by doing this new job. They don't care what you want, only what benefits them. Good luck.

Lol. Write not right. My iPad keys are doing weird stuff on this site.

that´s what I did. that´s not really the issue, their greed is. they know quite well what I can do, their issue is me not doing the things I´ve done until now should I move positions. I feel like they want to have the cake and eat it too. but I am not going to do 2 jobs no way

Hi Beanies !

I'm used to dress up for a tropical weather so I don't know what's the most comfortable and warmest clothes and textiles to wear for fall and winter. I looked up a few sites but I'm a bit lost. Can you give me some advice ?

I finished Mars (yeah !) and The Woman Who Still Wants To Get Married.
Why don't we have more of these kind of dramas ? Mars is about psychology, mental issues, suicide, sexual abuse and mature romance. TWWSWTG has a mature romance too, a beautiful female friendship with relatable women and portrays women's issues in their thirties.
Do we have to wait for the time-slip dramas trend to die for them to be produced again ?

Happy Friday :D

Is this Mars the Taiwanese drama or something else? I love that show! I haven't watched a lot of TW dramas but it was one of the few that left a lasting impression on me.

Yes the Taiwanese drama. I don't watch a lot of them either but this one and Autumn's Concerto are so good.

I love Autumn Concerto too, made me a fan of Chris Wu.

I like the PD of Mars, I've also watched Black and White. I consider that drama ahead of its time. It was like watching a movie the way it was filmed.

I became a fan of Chris Wu too. I just don't have the time to watch his dramas haha.
I'm adding Black and White to my to-watch list !

*Hi five*

I totally love Mars and Black & White!! Vic Zhou rocked the roles and his figure in the Mars painting looks very sacred and really beautiful.

My another Vic's drama favorite is Wish To See You. I like his presentation as an eccentric novel writer who is facing writer's block.

Mango, watch Monga ^^

I googled it and it's a gangster movie. I like gangster movies :D

It has 1+1 = Ethan Ruan + Mark Chao. Enuff said

Scrolling Scrolling- Wait Mark Chao. Yessss added. I love Mark Chao.

I love those two as well. Try "the man who doesn't want to mary". The Japanese version. I loves that!! Also a bit old school but if you don't like conventional drama I did enjoy "the rose".

Have you seen Bromance or Fabulous Boys (remake of You're Beautiful) - those are my favourite TW dramas of all time.

I also came from tropical country and when I studied abroad before, I was a bit lost like you as well. I don't really know the kind of materials or textiles for Fall and Winter because most of the time, I just felt the materials and tried on if it's comfortable when I bought a Fall or Winter coat. It's more like I just went with what they offered at stores. But I remember wearing wool jacket for Fall and I wore North Face and Superdry winter jackets. Both brands' jackets kept me warm. At home, when you wanna keep your electricity/gas cost from heater during winter, it's advisable to wear hoodie or sweater to sleep.

Thank you for the tips :D I know North Face because Bigbang did a CF for it haha. I will keep these jackets in mind.

If you're asking about fall/winter in northern climates like the US? It's important to LAYER. Layering clothes lets you adjust based on how cold it is. Especially in the northern US where we get snow in winter, you do not wear a t-shirt and then just 1 heavy jacket over that. I frequently wear a t-shirt, dress shirt, sweater or sweatshirt, and then finally my actual winter jacket during the coldest parts of winter. Part of this is about creating layers of insulation, part is about wicking the moisture of your sweat away from, part of it is about actually needing multiple layers to block piercing freezing wind when it's well below freezing. For pants you can wear leggings or sweatpants with regular pants over (or during a commute maybe put sweatpants or ski pants over regular pants). Please keep in mind that if cotton fabric gets wet it has NO thermal blocking properties so you're basically wearing nothing.

For fall a nice light jacket over a hoodie over a soft shirt is often good. Bluejeans are enough, or a skirt + leggings is often enough depending on how sensitive you are.

I had a friend move here from Australia and she was confident her sheepskin jacket would be enough and she was completely overwhelmed by the winters.

I meant in Europe. I thought about layers too. Cotton is definitely a no, that one I already experienced it once. Never again.

I was like your friend when I was in Germany in June. The weather was not that hot and I brought "thick" jackets. I caught a cold in the first days so this time I will be more careful.

I would support layering. Better of its natural fibers like cotton for lower layers (vests, shirts) then wool or other warmer clothes. The jacket can then be a normal winter or autumn jacket. That way you can take off layers when warmer in doors and use the layers to insulate heat when outdoors

I did Search & Rescue in High School and it was drilled into us that "Cotton kills" (because it doesn't dry once it gets wet).

Gosh I have a few clothes with cotton fabric. I guess in tropical weather it isn't as dangerous since they don't get wet a lot.

Cotton is FINE for normal around town types of activities. Maybe if you're going hiking and might fall in the water worry about it. Otherwise, it does not kill!

I'm from Canada and my preferred fall/winter textiles are cotton and wool for inner layers and technical fabrics listed as wind/waterproof-breathable for outer layers. (Also denim. Jeans are nice for cool weather fall days; I have rain pants and snow pants to go overtop for cold winter days but you may not need such layers depending on where you are and what you do).

For inner layers, breathability is important. I like cotton because with proper layering, it will keep you warm in the cool outdoors, but let you cool off quickly in the hot indoors.

Key to being warm are your extremities: a good hat, footwear, mittens and scarf can make a big difference, and let a fall outfit transition to a winter one pretty well. If you are going in and out of doors during the winter and don't have a chance to change footwear, I recommend a leather boot with a wool/fleece interior. Look for something lightweight and breathable, as how hot your feet are indoors will make a big difference between being comfortable and overheating.

For jackets, you can look into waterproof/windproof "shells" that don't have insulation, and this can make a decent three-season jacket that can be layers with fleece, or wool sweaters in the winter or worn alone for rain protection in the warmer months.

It does dry, but it can soak up more water so takes longer. That "cotton kills" thing is mostly a myth - I grew up in the mountains where it could get down to 0 and never had an issue. The main thing is to not get wet.

To be honest, it was a great joke among us (like our phrase to say for everything) – but that was at boarding school as a 16 year old.

But the first search we went out on, the people that were lost (an elderly couple on a short walk in their backyard mountains in sub-zero temperatures) did die because of hypothermia. :-(

Just don't do what I do when I first moved to a cold climate and only wore a blue jean jack, a sweater, and a mini skirt with tights and decided to walk three miles to a grocery store in below freezing weather...
Layers are your friends, undershirt, shirt, sweater and heavy jacket is my norm in the winter, and with THICK tights (they are the best) or leggings you can still wear the mini skirt ;)
But heels are awful on ice, so invest in good boots that are appropriate in multiple situations, or that are easy to swap out when you get to your destination.

Gosh that was risky o.o
Thanks for your advice ! I'm going to spend my first week shopping I guess XD

You might want to hold off and just get a few things, then see how you feel and what others who live in your climate suggest. They won't run out of winter boots in October, but what you know about what you need might change by then! Get a few light sweaters and long-sleeve shirts, some undershirts, and a fall jacket... but hold off on other things.

Mars the one Vic Chou in?

Yes Vic Chou and his fabulous hair !

He looked like he stepped out of a manga.

I read the first tome of the manga (Mars) and he really looked liked the main character ha.

Exactly!

And I still don't understand why the Japanese version casted Fujigaya among all available actors. After Vic's strong version as Ling (both in visual and acting), Fujigaya seems lacking an impactful punch. It makes me hard to picture him as characters who supposed to look dangerous as well as god-like beauty. I haven't watched Japanese version because of the reason. Can anyone tell me whether it is actually good??

@sangmaharani
I watched the Japanese version first and it's lacking compared the Taiwanese version. It's set in highschool and everything is rushed, even some storylines because there's not enough episodes. There's a movie to conclude the drama but I didn't watch it.

I vote for scarves as among your new best friends! Keeping my neck warm with a nice big, usually wool fabric or knit, scarf enables me to run around in winter wearing layers and a cute sweater (and gloves) rather than a coat except on the coldest days. You can use the scarf as a hood as well. Silk or Rayon/blend scarves work almost as well and can also be worn before it gets cold.
A lot of people use silk thermal underwear.

That's really great tips ! Wool fabric is often mentioned in sites I visited. I didn't know we could use a scarf as a hood :o I feel like discovering a new world.

I would suggest finding out what the coldest temperatures are in the country you are going to.

For autumn, you can do the layering but if you need to get a winter coat, I'd recommend outdoors stores as they will have coats for different kind of temperatures and store staff will know much better what to recommend (not everything that looks thick is for really cold temperatures).

Remember you can also layer gloves (thinner, but warm ones) with mitts (snow/wind proof ones). That's helpful particularly if you cycle in very cold, wet weather.

Don't be shy to ask new friends/acquaintances for help either.

Thanks for everything ! It will help me a lot :)

I second scarves as well! So versatile! And Eun Tak!

Scarves are a real mystery for me ha !

wool is one of the best materials for colder weather to keep warm :)
also, get a good fleece sweater, have a thick one in basic color and i always layer it under my fall/spring jacket for the inbetween weather where its too warm to wear your thick winter jacket but too cold to not wear a sweater
and layers! (including good wool/nylon/fleece thights), layering helps to stop the chill pretty well
most wintershoes have a lining of wool/fleece inside to kepe your feet warm, if not, invest in good thick socks :)
hope this helps!

That's really good advices ! It will help me a lot thanks :D

since you are going to germany :) i often buy clothes from C&A, they are affordable, decent quality (i got my fleece sweater from there for maybe 12,5 euro's), their basics collection is pretty good, and the clockhouse range is geared towards young adults/20's and i got some really nice stuff from that line :) i would invest in a good coat (it may be a tad more expensive but you'll need it) :)

A lot of people answered already, but I'm just curious (since I live in Europe): To which country are you going and when?

I'm going to Germany :)

That's nice, I am from Germany :) Welcome and I hope you'll enjoy your stay here!!
I second all the tips about layer clothes, wools and a scarf! And I experienced that people from warmer countries (in my personal experience people from Greece and Kamerun) tend to feel even colder, whereas we German wouldn't say it's too cold.

I would say Merino- a super fine wool from a specific breed of sheep, famous because it's light and fine so that it can be worn in layers and under things, and doesn't scratch- but I don't know if it's made it to Europe yet, or if it's still just a New Zealand thing. You could search for it though I guess.
Otherwise, wool is your best friend.
Hats- 80% of your head comes off your head, so keep that warm, and woolen singlets- wool next to your skin will keep you warmer than any number of cotton or poly layers you can heap on.

Merino can be expensive, and you have to watch it - have seen some ads where the fine print says something like "10% Merino wool". It should be 90% or 100% (depending on the cross fiber). And most that I have seen is not machine washable.

I have a small student budget so I will turn to more affordable fabrics. But I keep what you say in mind ! Thanks :)

Merino is machine washable but you should use a wool wash detergent to be nice to it.
Wouldn't be surprised if it freaking expensive everywhere outside of NZ since wool is still one of our biggest exports.
You can get cheap 100% merino's here but again, I don't know what the European market is like *shrugs*

Thanks for the hats tip ! The first thing I will buy is wool clothes.

hello fellow beanies!! there have been many happy, fluffy, rom-coms recently, which i've gotten a fair share of (to be fair, strongest deliveryman is really cute) but could anyone reccommend really deep dramas to satisfy my want for deep emo thinking dramas/ very touching ones with little emphasis on romance. hmmn like defendant, i remember you, circle: two worlds connected? preferably not something too thriller/ scary (i want to sleep well) heh :)

Awl : temporary employees fighting for their right, emotional speeches
Dear My Friends : long-time female friends, talk about life and death, parents-children relationship
Joseon X-Files : its name explains it. X-Files set in Joseon area.
Duel : clone, what makes someone human, Yang Se Jong
Solomon's Perjury : mystery in highschool about a suicide
Last : underworld, gangster, a homeless hero

i've seen pretty good reviews for awl and duel maybe i'll start watching that!!! never really heard of last but that short description u commented really clicks with me so maybe i'll check it out!! thanks for the recommendation!!!

Hope you will enjoy them :D

I'd recommend Triangle. It's about three brothers who got separated when they were kids. Lee Bum Soo, Jaejoong and Siwan played the three brothers.

i read the synopsis & it seems rather interesting!! thanks for the reply & p.s that's a really really nice display picture you got there ?

lol.. y does this sound like yaadon ki baraat

Wondered the same! :D

Psychological thriller : White Christmas, The Devil

Crime: Lookout

I recommend Memory (2016). It's about a man around 50 who gets diagnosed with alzheimer's. This drama is a little bit different compared to most of the korean dramas, but definitely in a good way.

I am watching and enjoying a lot Sungkyunkwan Scandal.
Now I get why every single drama site out there recommends it.

However I got 2 pet pieves :
1. Are we really supposed to believe she had no leg hair. I get appointments once a month about it, so that to me seems science fiction :P
2. Why is every single thing dramatic. Like every single conversation.
Thank God for SJK's character or I would drown in a serious world :D

And the best part of the drama :
JYJ's Found You, it is one of the best ending songs, and I don't even like JYJ ..

It's not science fiction. I have no leg hair too. Okay, I do have like 10 very very fine ones. Yeah, it's that negligible.

Yep some people are lucky. In k-dramas even men are often hairless.

About #2 That's how a typical saeguk is. But I liked SKKS because it was less gloomy than most historical drama.

Definitely. There were no grisly executions or murders as far as I remember. The bromance between the four made it worth watching, even when it got draggy in the latter half.

I just knew from u JYJ's song was already used as OST in SSK.
And I'm big fan of JYJ either SSK haha

This was my first Soong Joong Ki drama, and I loved his character so much (it was the highlight for me) that I've watched all his dramas since :P

i feel i am an adopted kid.. my mom..

no eyebrow, no upperlip, no arms/legs hair..
it sucks. n i have hair everywhere.. like everywhere!

Open Thread week 30! Welcome to Friday, Beanies! We’re cooking with Kelvins today! Got a phone call on the way in today that there was already an emergency, so although I’m firing on all cylinders, my computer is just waking up! School has started and a whole new schedule has taken over my life, but I would much rather have some structure than none, but it has put a bit of a crimp in drama-watching.

I’m half-way through White Christmas and I really like the indie feel of this drama. It reminds me of the American movie “Fargo,” with the scenery and all, but the boys are so much more engaging to look at ;). They are all impressing me with their acting in this. I can’t believe this was their first drama (for most of them)! And for those who don’t know (but how could you not know?) Kim Woo Bin, Lee Soo Hyuk, Kim Young Kwang, Hon Jong Hyun, and Sung Joon are the players in this. And by “players,” I mean actors :). Although, “players” might be appropriate too.

And we’re still watching “The King Loves” and the costuming and cinematography is still so engrossing. Siwan’s violet, purple, and royal blue robe this last week was stunning against the provincial backdrop at the gravesite. Thank you, show, for giving me more scenery to ogle over!

My hubby started Let’s Eat and Dae Young is such a slob this time!!! I couldn’t believe it was the same character as in Let’s Eat 2. I’m sure he matures a bit during this. My neighbor, who is 21 years old and travels constantly, is going to Korea next week and I’ve ordered him to watch both of these on the plane on his way there so he has a clue about what he should eat! Oh, to be 21 with disposable income. I never knew what that was like. So, I’ll be living vicariously through him these next couple weeks!

So, I gave my husband my phone to read an e-mail last night and went to the next room to do something…

Me: *from the other room* Hey, I can’t find my phone!

Hubby: That’s because you just gave it to me, you dork.

Me: I’m totally going to have Alzheimer’s dementia one day and you’ll have to take care of me.

Hubby: No, I’ll just leave you.

Me: As long as you put me on a plane to Korea and drop me on Gong Yoo’s doorstep before you do, I won’t complain.

Hubby: Actually, I’ll just get you a blow up doll and tell it’s him, you won’t know the difference.

Me: But, he won’t talk to me! That’s what I want, his syrupy voice telling me it will all be okay.

Hubby: Shhhh, he’s sleeping, honey.

Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, hysterically, as per usual.

Moral of the story: I pray that if I’m demented, I’ll still enjoy kdramas.

2nd moral: I’m very happy with my eclectic kdrama choices right now.

3rd moral: It’s short and sweet today—have a great Labor Day weekend, American Beanies, and a great weekend, everyone else!

on the bright side, maybe then you'll experience the perks of being able to rewatch dramas yiu forgot you already watched without being bored hehe

No, I have such a long list of dramas to watch that I don't think I'll be in any danger of repeating any of them, even if I forgot about them!

White Christmas is love. Kim Woo Bin's character is one of my favorite in dramaland. The green cast did a good job and the reason why I'm lenient with their not-as-good performances in other dramas is because of this drama.

Mad Mireu is my favorite as well?

I love White Christmas! I watched it recently for the first time and was impressed with the whole cast. The King Loves has the most gorgeous costumes and cinematography (and actors!).

Hail White Christmas!!!
Which character is your favorite so far?

You're evil for asking me to pick just one, but I'm surprised at how much I like HJH in this. The quiet thinker, behind the scenes guy. He kind of is the dark horse in this, isn't he?

ohoh wait for it his clash with KYK?

*Squeeing with excitement!!!*

Hello Beanies!
Remember about a month ago, I talked about interviews and job hunting? Well I just got a good news few days ago that I got a job offer from a pretty well-established company! I'm so excited for it because this is my first ever full-time job though the salary is pretty average for a fresh grad, but I'm pretty much doing what I studied in college, so I'm not complaining. The only bad thing about the job offer is that I'll be busy with real life (☹️) and I might not be as active as I'm right now on DB. Anway, my first day of working will be in mid-Sept (yess, so soon ?), so I'll need to reduce a bit with the number of dramas that I'm watching a week. But I know for sure that the only upcoming dramas that I look forward to is Temperature of Love and While You're Sleeping. Who would wanna miss all the hot oppas in both dramas? I know I won't! ?

Btw this job offer is the company that I went for an interview last two weeks on Monday. @ally-le, thank you so much for your prayers! And thank you for other beanies as well who gave me support and wished me good luck! ??

Congrats! The starting pay is not the most important. Sounds cliche but really, there's a lot more other things.

Thank you! I believe that as a fresh grad, I need to start from bottom and climb my way up with patience and perseverance, so getting average salary is not really a bad thing. Gaining experience along the way is far more important.

Congrats :D I hope you will have it better than Jang Geu Rae tho.

Haha thanks! I hope so too. Can I be like Ahn Young In instead? Haha ?

Be as awesome as her without having to deal with her superiors !

Congratulations on the new job!

Thank you korfan! ?

AWE!!!! YAY!!! You're so so so so welcome! I told you I was pretty good at praying! I'll pray you enjoy your job now! *Hugs*

Thank you so much Ally! You've been such an awesome virtual friend that I get through this platform! ? *Hugs*
Anyway, please keep it going with your story with your husband on this OT. I love reading it every week!

I don't plan on stopping! This is so much fun! I also love being YOUR virtual friend too~

have fun at your new job!!!! hopefully you meet nice & fun (&good looking) colleagues!!

I might need to add good looking and single colleague(s). Can I dream of office romance? Hot and young CEO, please? Hahahaha look what kdramas did to me.

Yay! Glad the job search didn't drag on for months, it would've been stressful. Go catch up on all your dramas and all the stuff you won't be able to do as much when you start work!

Hehe thanks! I just finished watching Solomon's Perjury for old kdrama binge-watching. I might need to watch one more drama before I start working! ?

After reading your comment, I've only realized that I don't really have any upcoming drama that I dearly want to watch. I have While You Were Sleeping on my list too but it's not really my priority

You know.. when you were waiting for a drama premiere excitedly, you feel happy even when you only read the drama title somewhere in the internet.. I don't get those exciting feelings for any upcoming drama

OMG, what should I do? I think I'll have a drama slump moment for the next few months T.T

I totally get what you mean. I'd been waiting for While You're Sleeping for months since they announced the confirmed casts. I did started to lose interest, but I always remind myself that it's Lee Jong Suk's drama! I'd never missed any of his new dramas after School 2013. Plus, that drama has other oppas/dongsaeng that I like as well (hello, Jung Hae In, Lee Sang Yeob, Shin Jae Ha and Kim Min Jae ?). As for Temperature of Love, all the main leads are the one I love, so I won't miss that drama as well.

Maybe your excitement will come once the drama has premiered its first episode. Maybe you can try watch the first two episodes first to avoid drama slump.

Congratulations! Nothing beats the feeling of landing your first real job after a hellish hunt. You'll come at a point where you can negotiate your salary. Good luck!

Thank you fab! ?

Congratulations! :) I hope you got a job that interests you?
Wish me luck with job hunting now. ^^ I'm on the last week of my notice period and only just beginning to apply to other firms.

Thanks! Yup, which is why I'm excited for it. ?
I wish you the best luck to find a new job that you're interested in! All the best! ?

Yay! :) And I wish you all the best at your new position. ^^

Hello greenfields and hannaehh (and other job hunters),

It is my first comment on the matter, but my thoughts are with you, since I too have been job hunting for a while now. I wish you all the best and offer a listening ear if you ever need it . ;)

Good luck to you with the job hunting! I pray that you'd get any offer that you're interested in soon! :)

Oo @turtuallysarcastic Fighting!
Job hunting is tough - it calls for an introspection I don't really want to take, and an openness to rejection I don't really have. ^^
Good luck. We can do it!

And my beanie of the week goes to @snarkyjellyfish. You have contributed greatly to kdrama universe that I didn't know i needed. Your insights and analysis of TLAHL is one for the books. Thank you.

I will not mention the other things you're posting this week. I'm trying to move on from that. ???

Second week of marathoning School 2017 and I almost caught up with all existing episodes.

I totally adore the show and liking it a lot more than 2015 (which was quite makjang-ish), however it doesn't engage me as much as Sassy Go Go, I think, because it lacks one major issue that the characters are trying to achieve. In SGG they strive to keep their room and then the second half focuses on preparing for the cheerleader competition. While S17's major plot floats around X but no major aim - but, for example when the episodes centered around Kim Hee Chan and his bullying issue, time flies by because I want to see him go down (and the boys doing whatever they can to protect the girls). Not to say the show is not good, just saying that not all episodes make me want to click Next as soon as the last one ends.

One thing that makes me keep watching the show though is the OTP, aren't they the cutest! They are big contender for OTP of the Year for me after Park Seo Joon - Kim Ji Won. I got so bored when the show dwells into the teacher's relationships (and granted, lots of them are for PPL only) or Dae Hwi and his annoying girlfriend (I don't know if it's the actress or the character but I can't stand how entitled she acts to everything, both here and in Strong Woman DBS). Please just bring Tae Swoon back to my screen!

Kim Jung Hyun shines in this drama and I hope his career takes off after this because I want to see more of him! I really like it when an actor uses all of his body to act (arms, legs, or even small things like eye twitch, glare, or gulp) and owns the character.

I read that show has no-kiss policy somewhere on DB comment section, please tell me it's not true? You tease us all these time, even from early episodes, with swoony eyes, close distances, skinskip and burning chemistry but there won't be no kisses to seal the deal?

No-kiss policy ? That's too cruel. I mean why are they teasing us when it's going to happen ? Tae Swoon must become Tae Kiss !

Wait, there's a no kiss policy? Oh, maybe because they are portraying teenagers? I want a Tae Kiss too! Maybe they can do a time skip at the end, show us them in college or at a high school reunion, and we can have our Tae Kiss to Tae Swoon over ~

I am the type who don't hanker for kisses in a drama. Possibly because there are more misses than hits.

There has indeed been the usual clamoring for a kiss in Swoon 2017 but I am a bit apprehensive seeing how Teacher Shim's kiss went. If it's like that, I rather have no kiss than a "chaste" kiss.

More than all these, Kim Jung Hyun has been knocking it out of the park in his role as Tae Swoon that I got more out of this OTP than any others, with or without a kiss.

Truth.

I've also heard that teen dramas have a no kiss policy so I'm not expecting one though I'm happy if I'm wrong.

I picked up the expanded Viki for Into the World Again (aka Two Worlds Connected) and Distortion (aka Falsify). I've only been watching the first one so far since the subs are being caught up. That and Strongest Deliveryman which has turned out to be SO GOOD even though it's not really about much more than the lives of these very interesting character. I really like the "bad" guy he needs a hug.

That's what a 'slice of life drama' is about. There is a plot there though, at least it seems to be building, i.e. big money v little guy, and mom & pop stores struggling to survive in an age of big chains. I believe that they'll be building on this and more as they go on.

I realized that shows like The King Loves brings on very heated discussions and angry comments because viewers are split into two camps. It's kind of like the Reply series except that for Reply, the outcome can be anybody's guess until the very end. In TKL, viewers get disappointed and angry even whenever the romance veers to the other camp to the extent of dropping the show. I wonder if it's smart of the writer to show the end game at this stage or was it highlighted that there will be a twist at the very end?

I heard the Korean audience is getting all worked up about the likely Rin/San pairing, but it seems like it's been building up to that from the beginning. I think they should have promoted it more that way, but I'm sad that people may leave the show because of it.

The actors did say there was a twist coming up, but I hope it's consistent with the characters and story so far!

I like Rin-San pairing but I'm also fine if it doesn't turn out that way as long as it makes sense. I know I'm in the minority because I can watch Reply and not be in any camp.

It can be fun to guess the outcome but not when a shipping war breaks out.

I just hope that their version of a twist is the originally presumed "second lead" getting the girl . I don't know about the content that's being shown in other versions, but what I've been shown tends to skew towards my bias, Rin/San

I wonder what kind of twist ? At this point, I think that San loves Rin. I think it would be quite a challenge to change her heart towards Won. However in order to save Rin, she might go for Won. San and Rin are masters of self sacrifices. But again, WonSan shippers would disagree with my opinion.

That is why I am very reluctant to pick it up again. I am stuck at episode 8. I don't want to be heartbroken but I also do not want to miss another great show. ?

@outofthisworld as an outsider's opinion (who is not watching) I think at the end she won't end up with either one of these two. That is the twist lol! Or maybe there's more card yet to reveal, such as birth secret! hah.

HJH has said in an interview that our hearts will be at peace with the ending. I'm not sure if shippers on both sides will be at peace if San doesn't end up with eitherWon or Rin. They will be flipping tables over. ?

Hahah totally.
Though I'm cool with it as long as our trio be happy together in the end, other beanie has some point the flamming chemistry between San and Rin will be completely wasted.

Hello beanies!

I'm currently watching Good Doctor (currently on ep 3) for the first time. I find it weird how Kimura Taro and Lee Kang To speak to each other, full of warmth and love. Lol. It's weird how Abe is also in the pediatrics dept. Haha!

But kidding aside, I find Good Doctor to be such a good drama, so far. It isn't difficult to feel for Shi On. (It certainly helps that Joo Won is very much a capable actor).

~

Anyway, on another topic, I am currently unable to watch my ongoing dramas (The King Loves and Save Me). Darn, the internet connection is so damn slow. ? On the brighter side, this allowed me to pay attention to the old kdramas I have saved on my hard drive.

That is all, haha. ? have a nice day/night y'all!!

Good Doctor aka my first exposure to Joo Won and medical dramas. I started to watch Gaksital at the same time and wondered why the lead and some characters looked so familiar haha.

Interesting. It must've been disconcerting/confusing to watch both dramas at the same time, particularly because their (Chun Ho Jin's, Joo Won's, and Abe's (idk his name irl)) characters in both dramas are vastly different. Haha!

It was not disturbing because every one made me believe they really became their character not just acting.

Good doctor is really good!! i think its really heartwarming and really gives deeper insight to the lives of people with special needs. i think it really showed me how my actions could hurt them a lot, and how to better relate to them (like the girl with kidney problems who i forgot the name) haha, i guess this means it's time to rewatch GD!! (minus all the operation scenes i dont think i can live through that one more time)

It is, indeed heartwarming. Though, so far, my heart breaks for Shi On because.. Well.. He just makes too much mistakes, and it is inevitable that his colleagues would be annoyed at him.

I hope he'll develop better social skills in the future? Haha

I enjoyed watching Good Doctor. Joowon was fantastic in it. Probably my favourite role of his that I have seen so far.

I saw that they are remaking it USA and it is going to be broadcast in Canada as well at the end of September. I am very curious to see how they adapt it to the North American audience.
Plus Freddie Highmore is going to be the lead!! I am really excited to see his interpretation! I love him as Norman Bates and I think he is a perfect fit for the role (although it will always belong to Joowon).

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all doing well today. ...... September already! I can't believe it. ...... Dealing with an unbearable heat wave!  Absolutely sweltering and uncomfortable. ?...... My complaints and discomfort, however, pale in comparison to the situation of the people who were affected by the hurricane in the gulf states. My thoughts are with them.

This week:

Falsify - Up to ep 5. I really like this ..... and interestingly, I'm liking the fact that there are a lot of details to keep track of.  You have to pay attention.  Between the details, conversations and multiple flashbacks, I can see how it would be easy to lose track of things.

Live Up to Your Name - I had really, really missed Kim Nam-gil so I'm really glad he's appearing in this drama.  I'm absolutely loving him in this role! ....... The only issue is that it's getting increasingly difficult to find the episodes! As a result, I'm  behind.  This past week the viewasian.com site kept on having weird warning notices pop-up making you think something is wrong. Uh oh!

That's all for now. ...... To all the Beanies who celebrate the holiday, have a great Labor Day on Monday.

Take care everyone and have a great Friday!

May I know whr do live? I live everyday getting heat stroke alot too

I think I'm up to episode 3 or 4 of Falsify and haven't picked it back up yet. This is one drama where you really have to pay attention and life has not allowed me to sit still and focus.

Stay cool in this heat wave! I'm affected by it, too. And where I live, it's NEVER this hot! Enjoy your Labor Day!

Could try http://fastdrama.co/? That's what I resort to when nothing else works. It usually has subs up really early too.

I have a doubt. Dramas in Korean subtitles in English. How come they get to the sites of reproduction so fast and subtitled?

not really sure but rapid pirating and dedicated subbers (thank you all) i guess?? the speed sometimes depends on the show though.