Open Thread #521

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Open Thread week 36! I feel a huge sense accomplishment when I get to write on the Open Thread, does anyone else? I did a lot this week, and feel pretty accomplished on this day off with the family. We’re getting our Global Entry interviews done today in St. Louis as well. Hi @bbstl! I realized after going to Italy and Canada, that I hate waiting, and anything I can do to avoid those lines!!! Hubby did his in Chicago before our Canada trip, but the kids and I are doing ours today, to make sure this Asian American ahjumma and her elementary school kids aren’t terrorists. We’ll be going to Canada again next year (this time, Vancouver) so looking forward to skipping the lines!

I finally documented my last freethekimchi.com meeting this week as well. I don’t really know what I’m doing with that blog, but it is a nice place for me to put recipes I want to keep, whether they be Korean, Vietnamese, or American. And my friends are so snarky, I love them. We’re so inappropriate, it’s hilarious, nothing is off-limits. It is very “freeing” indeed! And anytime I can watch Goblin and Gong Yoo is a good day. :-) And I just realized that my hole-in-one came on the same day as this meeting, so there must be something to that whole “goblin/guardian/miracle” thing! Coincidence or am I living in a kdrama??? (I’m just thinking about this now, because I had to make everything official with the golf club yesterday.)

“Temperature of Love” is still lovely and especially after that last episode, as we see our main leads so happy in each other’s company! Which means the other shoe is going to drop next week—I have my tissues ready!

At some point, after this next week when I think things will be slowing down a bit, I will pick up WYWS again. Stalking the Beanie fan walls in all of Suzy’s adorableness is getting to me.

And as @javabeans was having her existential crisis, I was trying to strike a work-life balance, which tipped heavily to the work side this week. So as I was sitting halfway through a two hour meeting about how to engage community physicians in medical student education, I had this question:

Me: *Posing this question to Dr. Moderator from the University* What’s “PCL?”

Dr. Moderator: Patient Centered Learning

Me: Ah, I remember taking that at the med school.

Dr. Moderator: Back in the day [15-20 years ago] Dr. E and I did a lecture series for PCL!

Me: *Hey, is that possible? Dr. M was my preceptor in med school. Hey, how is it that he looks like he’s perpetually in his early 30’s? He’s like a dean now. He’s got to be over 45. And Dr. E who I call by his first name because our daughter’s are the same age in the same class, are they the same age too? I always thought he was my age.*

Dr. A (woman): Dr. E was my senior in my PCL class too!

Me: *Wait! He’s her “sunbae?” She’s his “hoobae?” Imagining what they must have been like 20 years ago because Dr. E was a couple years ahead of me in med school...

...Actually, it’s Dr. A that was in med school with me. Hmm, I wonder how this would play out in a kdrama? Who would play these people?

Also Me: Awe, guys, it’s a whole reunion! *Thinking a Reply series remake would be awesome —set in med school!*

Moral of the story: Boring meetings go by much faster when you’re imagining yourself in a kdrama.

2nd Moral: Some weeks I barely get to see my husband, let alone talk to him 🙁.

3rd Moral: One more week of craziness, then a breather. Good luck and “Fighting!” Beanies!

You and Dr M can definitely remake a Reply series ! I would watch it :D

I know! The rest of the meeting was me coming up with a plot!

Aww about the morals of your week, Ally! "Fighting"!! :D

Thanks!

That's one way to survive boring meetings,definitely keeping that in mind.

Hi back, Ally! I hope you enjoy your day here in St Louis and have time for something fun besides your interviews. 🙁 I'm sad to know you're here and we can't meet since I feel like I already know you!

I’m still at the airport!

Global Entry is a life saver!!!!! We used it dor the first time coming back from Quebec. The interview is literally them going over the application questions: do you work here? Is this your number? They take your fingerprints and done. It was 10minutes max. Of course getting the interview was a pain in the ass. In CA they have only ONE global entry site for Northern CA at San Francisco airport, meaning that back in May the earliest date for an interview (honest to God) was Xmas day. You would think they would spread out the 4! SoCal locations to make it more even across the state. Thankfully we were able to pick up earlier days by snagging a cancellation. But sooooo worth it. TSA precheck, no lines, immigration and customs = 5 minutes. It was sweet.

We’re walking into this site. Got here at 9 am, and just got called back at 12:15 pm! *see previous comment about waiting*. I should have downloaded a kdrama to watch.

Oh no! Did you finally get out of there?

Once we got back it took 15 minutes for all 3 of us. We were all starving when we left though. Mom-fail for not packing snacks.

Haaha this is what happens when you watch too many dramas.. but honestly why not? it makes life more interesting when your living in a kdrama
Btw...cant believe you're a doctor :O

There’s a few of us pretty active on DB. We sometimes come out when there’s a good (and sometimes not-so-good) medical drama too!

I went on a bit of a drama hiatus after being a bit disappointed in some of the series I've watched ... but I'm glad I'm back ! Watching WYSM has been gold; everything is linked and there's a reason behind every action. IM HOOKED.

WYWS have great dialogues, but i think pinocchio is better, because pinnochio have great dialogues too but plus good story line and i think the directing more neat than WYWS, do you think the same? Its created by same writer though.

Owing to an unusually large amount of spare time this week, I've managed to catch all of the new dramas that we subbed! (looking at you, Buamdong Revenge Club)

For this week:
Runaway favourite - Witch's Court
Slow and Steady favourite - Andante

Also, dramabeans is supremely addictive when one has too much free time. I had no idea. >_<

You're subbing Buamdong??? ♥ ♥ ♥

No, no, no - that's a typo!! "were subbed" I do not speak or understand the Korean language. 🙈 *crawls away and hides in a corner*

is andante that good? I might just give it a second watch then...

I do really like it. It explores themes of death, and how our perception (or lack of thereof) can affect how we live out lives. The characters feel like real people and the rural setting is peaceful - I'd love to live in this town at their pace of life. It reminds me of my childhood days and I think I'd be happier, healthier and live longer.

I definitely recommend it. For a light, yet meaningful watch.

Its different that is for sure, but Kai has his charm and the main girl is a weirdo.

It’s adictive even if you don’t have free time, a friend tells me.

I've been seeing comments here and there about Andante being good.

Once I'm done with this week's lineup of premieres then I'm gonna give it a second watch.

Ehehe - I wouldn't be surprised if I started checking for updates while at work either, at this rate. 😌

i have a lot of free time and I'm addicted to dramabeans that I ahve time to comment on an open thread.

Hahaha, no the OT is the where the dramabeans addiction begins. I fear you are falling into an abyss, my friend. Your fan wall by the way, is hilarious. ^^

haha thanks, I never did discover the fanwall when I was busy with work, but now that that's not the case, I have all the time in the world

I just had to look at your fan wall. It's great! Did you find a site where the Avengers Club is subbed? I can't find one!!! Help please it looks great - at least in Korean!

This week's influx of dramas means there's so much dramas I have to watch and decide if I'm going to stick with. I definitely loved Mad Dog and Witch's Courtroom (although I have to admit, Yi-Deum's actions at the end of episode 2 pissed off to no end, because girl, I don't care how much you wanted to win, that was wrong on so many levels. I intend to watch 20th century boy and girl; because this life is our first and revolutionary love this weekend. Buam-dong revenge club hasn't gotten subbed yet so I'm impatiently waiting for that. But yeah, I definitely liked the beginning of Mad Dog and Witch's courtroom and I will definitely stick with those dramas.

I'm sad Age of Youth 2 has ended, but I am sooooo loving While You Were Sleeping. Suzy's fantastic baby rendition still has me giggling. The drama's dark and funny and it holds my heart. Here's hoping the drought of kdramas have come to an end because I am definitely watching more shows now.

Aaahhh!! Me too! Mad dog and witch's courtroom are definitely gonna be favourites of mine now. I never expected to like Withches courtroom so much - i think i just picked it up to watch because i kept reading comments telling people to stop hating on the female lead. So i guess i got curious.

Because its my first life was an unexpectedly pleasant surprise as well.

So now i guess ill be following 4 dramas (TOL is the fourth).

Ahh, and in witch's court ep. 2- At first i was like "oh well his secrets out, might as well play the recording for the judge" but when I saw/realised that she had orchestrated the whole thing- i was in shock. Thats so cunning. I actually wonder if that client will become suicidal...

Like @nanabot, I didn't like how it was orchestrated either and am worried about the victim becoming suicidal.
BUT she's right when she says she's the prosecutor and not the lawyer. A prosecutor represents that state in a criminal suit, not the victim. And her job is to ensure that the bad guy is convicted, put away where he/she cannot harm others and punished. That teacher would have gone on to harm other students - that's not justified either.

It's harsh, but the victim cannot demand that crucial facts be held back. What they can do is request that the proceedings be held in camera (not open to the public) which they did.

A prosecutor represents *the* state, not the victim. Yikes, typos today.

Are we talking about a democratic nation?
Definition of "State" Must be introduced here again.

Hehehehe - South Korea is a democratic nation, if I'm not mistaken. To clarify, and with the understanding that the clarification that follows is a loose definition because I'm talking about a jurisdiction different from the one I'm familiar with, "state" loosely means the the "country" or the "People", and not the individual accused in a criminal proceeding.

She's right. Not morally but professionally. This set-up portrays who she is a prosecutor and we know that she's ruthless and ambitious.

Even here, I think she's morally in the right. Hear me out: As a lawyer/counsel/prosecutor of any kind, her job is to push her client's (the state) interests. That's how she earns her bread and butter. To not do your best for your client, is a moral and ethical failure, in addition to being a professional one.

The issue lies not in his sexuality being revealed but in how it was orchestrated. Within the dramaverse, it would have been more 'moral' to somehow convince him that this was the right course of action.

My personal reading is this: Ma Yi Deum is a competent lawyer, and she purposely held back when they were requesting that the proceedings be held in camera before the judge. She wanted the publicity, and wanted to be able to utilize it to her benefit somehow. This shows a lack of sensitivity not befitting a prosecutor handling such a sensitive matter. Here, she is morally and professionally in the wrong.

I agree. And somewhere at the back of my mind, I know that as a prosecutor, she would focus on prosecuting the assailant, but the problem is that her jurisdiction right now is handling rape cases and I do believe that rape cases require added sensitivity that other cases don't get. At that point, she wasn't focused on getting justice for the victim, her focus was on winning. And although there is nothing wrong with that, I'm just feeling a bit raw I guess because nobody should be forced out of the closet, especially when the victim hadn't been given a heads-up. I still love her though, and I am looking forward to the growth her character will have. Plus, having a woman be so driven and at the same time so good at her job makes me so damn happy.

@mango @greenfields @itenoria

Oh really? Thats how prosecutors are supposed to roll? I had no idea! That is so blunt/brutal/idek.

Wow.
Then she smashed the hell out of her case then.
But yeah like @itenoria said, rape cases require added sensitivity too. How is she gonna handle these...

"I do believe that rape cases require added sensitivity that other cases don't get" and "victim hadn't been given a heads up" - I completely agree. For the rest, could I direct you to my answer to mango above? I'm super passionate about these issues - I worked as a human rights lawyer (attorney/advocate) for the past few months and while I didn't deal with this kind of criminal law per se, people I worked with have defended pro bono those accused of crimes like rape and murder.

This is not to make me a bad person here on DB - let me repeat pro bono i.e. very poor people, who's guilt is not yet proven or may even simply be victims of botched investigations themselves (and/or the actual perpetrators, true).

Human rights and environment* I was more environment, human rights coming into the picture when it came to mining or thermal power plants so my field was different.

I think I would not have minded that as much if that was her reason for doing it. But it wasn't. She did it purely to win and get attention. I would still disagree with her outing the victim if she showed regret or genuinely did it for the state, but she did it for herself, and the music at the end left me with a bad taste. I hope it is supposed to do that, because from her point of view she is victorious and amazing and thus the music is victorious and cool.

My biggest worry is that her behavior will be too forgiven, or that the show will bend reality to make her appear good. She is the kind of person who would happily be on that rapist antagonist's side if she could, maybe even more so if she knew he might be her biological father (because after "Angry Mom" and "Rooftop Prince" I have a feeling that South Korea or just maybe Korean Dramaland place a LOT of importance in blood ties no matter how or why). Only reason she is on the good side now is that she HAS to be, but she honestly reminds me more of an antagonist than anything else. I can like her as a character and understand the reason as a prosecutor, but not the intentions behind her.

Hi @pensola! Nice to see you at the OT as well :)
I both agree and disagree with you on outing him, could I direct you to my response to mango above?

You know, I think she's searching for her mother. That's why she always makes sure to say her name boldly to the press, each time. Thus, she may not be on the rapist antagonists side, or may take their side for reasons we wouldn't agree with, but could grudgingly forgive? I could be wrong though - and I'm really looking forward to finding out. :D

That is something I did not think about, that she says her name clearly to reach her mother. However, it is still a selfish motive that has nothing to do with upholding the law and protecting the innocent, so once again she purposedly outed the victim's sexuality (in a country whose view on homosexuality I don't know about) in a loud manner for her own gain. And I cannot imagine her mother would be happy to know that she does all these things without a care in the world only to find her.

Then again, I hope you are right that I will grudgingly forgive her as time goes on. I just don't want the other characters to forget what she did. So she claims she did it as her job, ok. But everyone else knows she did it for herself and hurt the victim in a way she cannot possibly imagine, so I hope they will treat her accordingly. She does not have to care about it, and in the end she keeps doing what she does, but at the very least I want people to show they disagree. We already saw that with her boss not liking her stealing attention in her previous unit, since their job is not attention but upholding justice for rape victims, so I hope she will be angry with her attention-seeking methods.

Also, hello! I haven't really been here much, but I had some thoughts about Seven-Days Queen and homosexuality in sageuks that I thought I could ask here. I have wondered about dramas with homosexual leads before, especially women (both because of the sexuality and because I get tired of male lead bromances and female lead petty rivalries), but in particular after Witch's Court episode 2 I got even more curious about it. Turns out The Handmaiden is a semi-sageuk that has lesbian leads, so I will put it in my next watchlist!

I actually never considered that she was saying her name clearly so she could find her mother. It's nice that you caught it :).

You totally should watch the Handmaiden @pensola. It was a beautiful story and I don't want to ruin it for you but yeah, it is one that is well worth the watch. And yeah. I agree with you on that. I hope her colleagues do disagree with the way she got the victory, if anything because behaviour like hers can run amok if not checked. I understand that she was doing her job but the law she is upholding was put in place to protect the citizens of the state, and my worry is that the TA does looked like he could be traumatized and might be suicidal which would mean that her insensitivity might have won her her case but it also ruined the life of a law abiding citizen. It also shows that she is definitely self-serving and not necessarily a team player and I hope we see her learn and that all these issues are addressed. I'm sorry if I'm rambling. I guess I just want to say yes, I agree with you. And that the ecstatic and triumphant note left a bad taste in my mouth as well.

Yeah for Mad Dog and Witch's Courtroom ! I'm in the mood for antihero/gray characters so it totally captured my attention. The cast in both dramas is really great too !

So glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. It's like all of a sudden we get so many promising dramas in a span of 5 days! I don't know where I'm going to find all the time to watch them! I was only watching Temperature of Love and While You Were Sleeping. Now I'm adding, 20th Century Boy and Girl, Revolutionary Love, The Package, and Because this Life is Our First!
Still undecided about Witch's Courtroom though...May have to read more opinions on it first.

So, I have my comment stuck in the dreaded abyss called “moderation.” I’ll talk to you all when I come out of the black hole!

Happy Friday Beanies ! 😊

Highlight of the week for me : Yoon Kyun Sang (and Jung Hye Sung) confirmed to be the lead in Doubtful Victory

Yeay ! Yeaaay~~

I wish I had someone that I can talk to about this in my real life but I don't have one so I'll just squeaaaaaling and fangirling here in DB 😆

@keiru,

I'll join you in jumping for joy. ;-)

Hi beanies...what's your favorite historical/period movie(s) produced in 2000s? I've been binge-watching some Korean, Chinese, and Japanese movies to cure my drama slump :') I'd love to find out more good ones (I'm such a newbie with this and I trust Beanies' preferences ;) )
Thanks, and have a good day!

The King and The Clown (?)

It's a 2005 movie (if I'm not mistaken) but I have only watched it like last year. Have you watched it? I checked it out when I was being smitten by Lee Jun Ki after Scarlet Heart and he's soooo good and convincing as a feminine prett(iest)y man

Lee Jun-ki in a feminine pretty role, going to check that out now

This is on my list too. The power ballad for this film is crazy good. And this version is the best IMHO.

💖Lee Sun-hee and Kyuhyun💖 my favorite.

The whole soundtrack was excellent but "Fate" was not part of the original Soundtrack.
Lee Byung-woo totally deserve his award.

Oh really? What was it then?

@Ally
I believe "Fate" was not composed for the movie.
It was written by Lee Sun-hee herself.
I think director Lee thought it would fit well with the film's theme and it became the theme song for King and the Clown.
Does that make any sense?

If you look for the original soundtrack "Fate" is not part of it.

Wow, it’s an amazing piece of music and lyrics—it’s synonymous with the film, it seems. I had no idea it wasn’t even part of the movie.

IIRC, Lee Sun-hee wrote "Fate" after watching DAMO: THE LEGENDARY POLICE WOMAN. I finally got around to seeing it a couple of months ago. Ha Ji-won was great in the title role.

The gist: A former noblewoman is enslaved as a child, becomes separated from her oppa, and ends up working for a family whose son becomes a cop. She's been his sparring partner for years, and works as a cop, too. Because of the social disparity, they can never marry. Hence the wistfulness of "Fate." Add her crossing paths with a certain handsome rebel...

The context is completely different from THE KING AND THE CLOWN, but the vibes the song evokes are right on the money anyway.

It is probably my favorite piece of music from my favorite K-movie. ;-)

I meant to add that DAMO (2003) and the 2005 film DUELIST are based on the same manhwa, Damo Nam-soon, by Bang Hak-gi.

Ha Ji-won faces off against Kang Dong-won as assassin Sad Eyes in DUELIST. It is one of the most gorgeous films I've ever seen. The choreography of the sword fights is magnificent.

Lee Jun Ki as Gong Gil is so freaking beautiful that he put so many women to shame.

ohh I haven't watched it yet. will add it to my list, thanks!
I watched The Throne, and it's the best one so far.

Chunhyang (2000) 💗
Musa: The Warrior (2001)💗
Duelist (2005)💗
King and the Clown (2005)💗
Hwang Jini (2007)
The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008)💗
The Sword with No Name (2009)
Jeon Woo-chi: The Taoist Wizard (2009)
Blades of Blood (2010)
Into the Fire (2010)
The Front Line (2011)💗
War of the Arrows (2011)💗
I am the King (2012)
Masquerade (2012)
The Face Reader (2013)
The Fatal Encounter (2014)
The Admiral: Roaring Currents (2014)💗
The Royal Tailor (2014)
Kundo: Age of the Rampant (2014)
Pirates (2014)
Memories of the Sword (2015)
The Throne(2015)
The Sound of A Flower (2015)
The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale (2015)
Assassination (2015)
Ode to My Father (2015)
The Age of Shadows (2016)💗
Agasshi/ The Handmaiden (2016)
Dongju: The Portrait of a Poet (2016)
The Last Princess (2016)💗
The Map Against the World (2016)
Warriors of the Dawn(2017)
The Battleship Island(2017)
A Taxi Driver (2017)💗

Honorable mention: Any sageuks films with director Im Kwon-taek.
-Seopyeonje (1993) 💗
Watch List:
"The Fortress" and "Ansi" 92017)
Hae-eohwa (Love,Lies) (2016)
Snowy Road(2015)

gonna start watching some of these, starting with warriors of the dawn, I've been looking for it ever since I saw it posted here on db

I just got the meta reference on WYWS “The Good, the Bad, the Weird!” 😂

@kiara wow thanks a lot for this list!

Raiou (2010) invredibly pretty Japanese movie with pretty people. Definitely check it out!

Hi Beanies !

So my first week at the uni was exhausting. I still don't know how if my classes are going to go smoothly but I hope so. I met a few French girls and they were as lost as I so it was. I did a test today to know my German level. I'm in the highest level it's really surprising ! How did I end up in this level ?

Funny thing : I usually come early at the uni to look for the first period's classroom. When found, I sit somewhere and must look relax because a lot of people ask me for directions. Well, it's my first year here and I'm not good with directions. I begin to feel bad for them.

Happy Friday :D

Ooohhhh, what's your major?

I study German language :D

Aaahh! "Gutten tag" (forgive my mediocre attempt. ㅠㅠ

You were almost there ! It's Guten Tag :)

Forgot to add : 5th week (!) in Germany :D

mango, congratulations on achieving the highest level, you must be in the right major! I keep wondering if you have the right clothes (I know you were worried) and you're warm enough?

Thanks ! It might be my low confidence in my German skills causing this surprise but it booted my confidence. The weather is better than I thought and my clothes keep me warm enough :) It's hot sometimes which is surprisingly good ! I don't want fall to end.

Congratulations on testing into the highest level! That's super cool. And good luck at uni! The first year can be rough sometimes, but also really enjoyable and a really nice experience.

I'm in my third year actually (is there a specific word in English ?) and studying for the first time in a foreign country. I should be more precise he. However it does feel like re-living my first year !

Where I am you'd be a junior, but I think that's different depending on what country you're in. First year in a foreign country is cool! I'm doing my studies in the city where I grew up, but I hope I can go abroad sometime before I finish

Thanks for the info ! Usually universities offer a lot of exchange programs. You might find one in a country you're interested in.

Congratulations on getting such a good score :D
How were your classes the first week? I hope your lecturers are good!
Happy weekend!

Thanks :D

I only had introduction classes so the real "thing" starts Monday. The few lecturers I've seen are really nice and there's one history teacher that looks so passionate that it makes me want to keep coming to his lecture.

I try and read all your OT posts (even if I don't comment) just so I know how you're doing hehe.
Congrats on the German level test!!!

Oh I feel like someone dots on me. That's nice of you !

Thanks :D

Congrats on test results!

Happy Friday everyone. Lots happened this week.All new dramas.I hope all of them are real good. But missing Age of youth2.Sung min decided not to confess....did anyone else found that frustrating??

Ooh I miss AoY 2 as well. It was frustrating that Sung Min didn't confess, but it was also the right decision. Ji Won was going through a tough time, vulnerable and heavily reliant on him for support. Not the best time to be confessing.

On another drama-related topic, your handle name is perfect for Witch's Court! :) The Vishaka Guidelines laid down by the Indian Supreme Court are the de facto law against sexual harassment in the workplace in India. (Couldn't help mentioning it - I'm going bonkers over how much I loved Witch's Court)

Can a good actor lead a bad actor and balance the output. Or does a bad actor's influence tends to mess more things.

OR does it ultimately come down to the director.. they can work their magic on bad actors too

JJS and Hyeri - I am very curious..
JS-Hyeri didn't work...

Director and the writing of the plot for me

I've heard a lot of Sung Joon haters (that said he never had more than one expression on his face) say that he was great in Ms. Perfect. So I think that in the right hands anything can happen 😊

For bad /medicore actors /inexperience - a good team of director & PD can bring the best out of them. One of the perfect examples Han Seung-yeon in AOY. I disliked her acting in all her projects prior to AOY but AOY team helped her. I can't say she has become good actress by now, but I am hopeful to see her improvement in next project aside from AOY. Park Hye-soo is another good example, she is still rookie yes, but her best performance was in AOY too and she was mediocre in other drama, especially her drama after AOY. Maybe this can apply to Suzy too.

Good /decent actors can still act even with bad script / materials, although they won't be able to give their best performance. Such as the recent example Yoo Seung-ho & Kim So-hyun in Ruler. There are cases when drama was bad, but the whole casts saved it and made it looks worthy to watch -such as Scholar Who Walks The Night. I think it can apply to Moonlovers too?

Not every good actor can lead the other partner -such as Ji-sung & Hyeri case. Ji-sung worked well with his partners such as Hwang Jung-eum because she is also great actress so they can balance each other. I don't know if Jo Jung-suk can, all of his partners before were good ones, maybe IU was the weakest, but IU is still a better actress than Hyeri imo.

When saying an actor is "bad", bad at WHAT. Sometimes an actor who is overall so-so can be great at one thing. Put him in a role where that's what he does and he seems great. Or just give him such great lines and anybody would seem good.
My chief example is James Marsters as Spike in Buffy & Angel. One of the most memorable characters ever, but I thought he was only so-so in the other shows I've seen him in.

then would that not be to the credit of the director?

Bad actors in general , more often than not, are not able to emote or put across the character's personality well enough..

a good actor on the other hand, more often than not will be able to convince you of the character..

Now haven't watched buffy.. nor do i intend too.. but if that is the only laurel you can associate with him, then he is , as you put it, a mediocre actor at best.. no?

Like hyeri is perfect in answer me 1988 but is that her acting.. NO.. its just the combination of the character's personality and hers and the director's skills

Hi Beanies!!!
I love this week so much, because of all the new and exciting premieres.

Witch's Court and Mad Dog are among my favorites right now.

Still haven't gotten to checking Buamdong Revenge Club but if its not too melo then I might stick to it.

Also waiting for Go Back Spouses and Revolutionary Love to quench my thirst for rom-com.

Happy Friday Beanies 😊
Highlights of this week and some good news 😊 :
◾ First time I had a job interview in a cafe 😅 : it was the only possibility before the manager left for a training abroad, I had another interview at the headquarters after that.
I arrived in advance and was getting ready when suddenly I heard “I wanna love you I wanna with you” I couldn’t believe my ears, it was You’re Beautiful OST playing 😲. I was startled and unconsciously transformed myself into a meerkat (yes just like they do in variety shows 😆). I looked around (no discretion at all 😅) maybe it came from a customer’s laptop but no, it really was the BGM of the cafe 😵. Then I tried to regain my composure because the manager could arrive any time, I couldn’t focus neither read my notes, I was just smiling like a Pabo 🙃 singing along in my head 😂. The manager arrived on time and we began the interview, there were other Korean songs among English songs playing : it was so hard, it was like doing the “Try not to move/sing along” challenge but in real life during a job interview 😰 ! I remained serious but then You’re beautiful OST played again, it was “Promise” : it was so hard I sang along in my head “I will promise you” while answering questions with a serious face “Yes I had similar assignments during my previous job experiences….”😎😂
Moral : “Try not to move/sing along” challenge it’s nothing when doing it at home without any pressure, try doing it during a job interview 😜 this will remain a special memory for me 😆
Good news : I got the job, so You’re beautiful OST was a good omen 😃. It’s just for a few months (it’s a replacement during a maternity leave) but I’ll learn new things and have a new experience on my resume 😄. I’ll begin in less than 2 weeks, so I’ll be less active on DB 😌.
◾ I decided to reward myself 😜 and bought two jigsaw puzzles, I should receive them next week. I’ll have less free time which will be shared between dramas/variety shows and jigsaw puzzles 😊, I’ll post some pictures of their ( slow 😅 ) progress. I’ll try to post for the What we’re watching and of course I’ll keep on posting on my wall 😉
And in advance have a nice weekend Beanies 😄 *sending a lot of finger hearts* 😘

LOL~ thanks ! You gave me a good laugh with your story while imagining the situation in my head. And congrats on getting the job :)

Congrats on getting the job! You seem like a delightful person tbh hehe

While reading i thought you were going to say that you and the manager bonded over love of all things hallyu haha

Thank you 😊 , the manager was very nice but IRL I'm an introvert, shy and calm, I don't talk about drama at work so I don't have any occasion to talk with stars in my eyes about swoony scenes or stressful cliffhanger 😅

Congrats for your new job!

Oh yay! Congratulations on the new job! And best interview memory ever, I bet. 😁

Thank you 😊 , yes I won't forget this unexpected interview 😆

you should have probably just given in, why would that music be playing if there are no other fans? do give updates whether you have found any soulmates

Congrats :D You're Beautiful OST must have some sort of magic !

Thank you 😊 , You're magic You're Beautiful OST 😆

Congratulations!!!! 🎉 🎈👍🏼 That’s my sorry attempt at emoji-ing with you!!! What a great interview. Music definitely sends us good vibes and all that serotonin and norepinephrine release in you brain probably helped too!!! 🎶

Thank you 😊 , music sent me good vibes but it distracted me at the same time 😆

🎉🎊Congrats!🎊🎉

although we will miss your activeness here at DB,it's great you got the job.

And that "try not to move/sing along" challenge is funny but relatable.that was so me,a month ago when GK's song came out and I was trying so hard not to move,hum ended up smiling like an idiot

LOL at your meerkat impersonation!

Congratulations on overcoming the noraebang in your head to land the job! ;-)

Started watching Let's Eat 2.
And I just can't stop wanting to eat when they eat.

Seriously I feel for the heroine when she says she needs to eat less cause she's fat 😢😢 #realproblems #thisisreality

I run so I can eat. That’s her and me! I loved Let’s Eat 2! Just made topokki for the first time last week!

Are you me?? Hahaha

I love to eat too. But because Im afraid I consume too much and ended up getting bigger, I have to dedicate myself to some physical training in gym like aerobic, body combat. If I got time I join zumba too. My weight...ofc it remains the same (it never increases, and neither decreases), but at least I can eat happily although my coach keeps saying to control food intake (I love fast food, thats my problem). Oh well...

Good thing about kdrama is, the hero or heroine always goes running so it kinda makes me wanna do it too 😅

So 20th Century Boy and Girl's Gong Ji-won and Sa Jin-jin's meet-cute-again is so, so, SO adorable. Have I said how much I loved Kim Ji-suk's delivery of the last two lines of ep 4?????God who wouldn't fall for him all over again???? Jin-jin please enjoy the ride hahaha.

Another drama I desperately want to start! I’m so glad you like it!

Please do! It's a lovely world with really well-written characters so far. Feels a bit like riding on clouds with all the cuteness we get with each episode!

It's still early in the morning, but a wonderful thing already happened on this day, my birthday. Shin Chae-Kyung and Crown Prince finally kissed. There's even some kind of confession. Love it. Love it!!! The feels on this show is something else. The push and pull between the leads is so strong that I end up wanting more from them. #Goong #episode13 #marriagebed #consumation

Happy birthday! My birthday was 10 days ago~ today is BTS Park Jimin Birthday too!

i read it as "my bday was 10 years ago "

I read it as my 10th birthday. 😂

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Happy birthday :D

I tried to watch the first 1-2 episodes of all the premiere this week. So far the one that has got my interest is Because This Is My First Life. I have always love Lee Min Ki, and him playing a nerd, no-love-for-me hero will be a blast to watch. Can't wait for the romance to start! I just wish the plot will move fast, and no needless angst. Bring me the cohabitation hijinks!

*deepens voice*
If you have some time later - would you like to get married?

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all doing well today. ....... So how was the week for the Beanies with all the drama premieres? I hope that among the new shows, Beanies find something interesting, fun and entertaining. To those who were or are going through a drama slump, may it soon be over!

I have to post and run because I have to leave for an appointment. I'll be back later to read all your interesting comments!

This week:

Falsify - Finally finished watching this. I wouldn't say it was awful, but it could have been more interesting. Specifically, I think what the show missed was its ability to transmit the urgency of the moves that were being made. I'm wondering what this show would have looked like in the hands of the writer who wrote Punch.

Live Up to Your Name - Finished this also. Aww, I miss our modern city doctor and her medical man from Joseon. Kim Nam-gil proved once again how charismatic he can be. It was good to see him after a long time.

Temperature of Love - I've only just started this. Watched the first episode so far. I liked it. I may or may not be wrong, but I get the impression this is going to be a story told through small details, still moments and quiet dialogue.

Witch's Court - I didn't know what to expect going into this, especially given the reported subject matter. Wow! What a first and second episode! So glad I checked it out after almost deciding not to.

Mad Dog - We knew actor Woo Do-hwan was going places when we first saw him a couple of dramas ago and he hasn't proved us wrong. Here, with this new character ---- is he lying? is he telling the truth? what's his deal? I want to know more and about the rest of the team!

That's all for now. ...... Take care everyone and have a great Friday!

I think you're right about Temperature of Love ❤

the week was hard and tiring, but I am ok. I am just watching whatever dramas to pass time till Revolutionary Love and crossing my fingers for Siwon to have just as charming character to play as Shin Hyuk was. Witch´s courtroom started promisingly, loved the child actors, haven´t gotten far.

Falsify was hard to watch (even for Namgoong Min) since there were too many "good" characters.

LUTYN : I'm just thankful not seeing KNG dying at the end he.

ToL : You're absolutely right !

Witch's Courtroom : I checked it out for Jung Ryeo Won and the
drama's plot. It's better than expected !
Mad Dog : Enjoying WDH and his dorky undercover a lot !

Temperature of Love is a dialogue-driven drama and everything the director does is deliberate. You can tell they are putting a lot of thought into the details, as you so astutely mentioned. It’s a script where actors can really shine through subtleties.

Heloooooooooo Beanieeeesssss!

So im done with classes and just laying on my bed. I've been surprised recently by these newly premiered dramas.

See, I was in a "semi slump" and then ToL started and I thought "hhmmm this is good innit?"

So i mostly followed by reading the recaps on here and watching the amusing bits which i read from the recaps online... Was okay

And then Boom!
Somehow my eyes caught some cooments urging ppl to stop hating on Ma Yi Deum - so i thought "Lets see how she is," and I'm so following Witch's Courtroom now. I dont think I'll even wait for recaps, live tings fam! Haha

Also - Because its my first life (NigeHagi anyone?) - i actually read the first recap here and then decided to go watch it. At first i didnt see the similarities with NH but people kept on commenting on it. By ep. 2 i definitely saw some similarities. Maybe the author was inspired from the drama?(or manga). I'm also enjoying that as well.

Mad dogs i still havent watched but i mean - uri Dong Chul and Kang Unnie are there so its a given that I'll watch it haha.

Right now I'm huuungry ㅠㅠ. But I can't cook right now (partly because im tired *coughs*lazy*coughs* and also cuz i dont hv ingredients id like to use rn - i also cant eat out cuz im broke haha #CollegeProblems

Aahh, btw hows the weather where you are?

I am watching Mad Dog for the ajussis. They are so charismatic in that one.

Charismatic Ahjussis are the best <3

The power of Ahjusshis ❤

I didn't really amazed with either Woo Do-hwan or Ryu this week, they did well and their characters are cool, but I think that another rookie actor -the cutie one (I still don't remember everyone's name in this drama) probably will become a scene stealer later.

I liked when he was covered because of his sun allergy. For now Jo Jae Yun's character is the most interesting for me.

Jo Jae-yun is without doubt is interesting in everywhere he goes 😄 I love him!

Finally I got to watch final episode of Age of youth 2 and at the end when on the board was written see you soon! I screamed of joy like I won euromillions in Ireland (the jackpot there is 190m) :-DDDD

I have carried so many heavy things today that my feet seem shorter... I am like Mong now. Though I only have 2 legs.. (really, you say? no way!)

thinking what to write for Escapism vs realism. I think my style doesnt fit the taste here, the music themes story didnt get published. But I need to prepare tomorrows workshop first. It is annoying when you are all set but others don´t do the part assigned to them which I can´t do (put the damn event up in the calendar! I even wrote a long and short introduction for each one myself, though it is not my task). kind of feeling like Ji Hyo in This Life Is Our First, glad she also found a spine to say something and not just give in.

I want to ask this question today: if you started your own company, which drama characters from this year would you want to scout? I think the "achievers" and "professionals" this year really shine. I am already scouting Oh Jin Kyu, so don´t even think about it. The race is on!

oh and is anyone a Postcrossing member? my handle there is RedfoxEstonia (of course!).

yesterday was my moms´ birthday ( my lovely bagpipe-player "festival brothers´" birthday too, it appears). My mom is a big fan of Hungary and lived in Budapest in her youth (8 months). and by chance, my first postcrossing card from Hungary with a picture of Chain Bridge in Budapest arrived yesterday. That was such an odd coincidence.
Anyway, if you are a member and would like to exchange some postcards, find me there.

Oooo I am!! But I've been inactive for about two years now. ^^

Sad to hear you had a tough week! Hopefully the next one will be better. And I want to tell you - do write for the theme. I always enjoy your comments on DB, and am sure I would enjoy your piece.

If it helps to encourage you - I'd also sent a write-up for the Catnip theme that wasn't published, but the one I sent for this month was. [Though on reading it, I wished I'd edited it before writing and clicking 'send']

My dear if you can please treat yourself to a good soak in the bathtub. Sorry about your stress.

As to the question about the company - hhmm id pick Dong Chul because he'd be able to go undercover haha. Jin Myung Unnie, male lead of ToL and his doctor friend. Kim Woo jin, aaagghhh right now i cant think of all the dramas I watched/followed this year.

I feel sorry for your tough week...and please keep writing,if it wouldnt be picked for the theme,maybe post it on your fan wall?

as for hiring a character, Unnie from Father is Strange or Yoon Sunbae from Age of Youth

It's ok, really, it was tough, but nothing I can't handle, just lots of physical strain. No need to feel sorry.

Hi, all!

Glad that I finally configured my iPhone to stop those annoying full screen pop ups on this site. I really don’t mind most ads, but those are nasty. My dad was an unwitting victim of one of those scams on his Mac (from another site).

So, we’re a few months into the Kokowa thing and their partnership with Viki seems to still be buggy. Unless I have misinterpreted the situation, basically the K-broadcasters are offering a subbed version of an episode on their own app, then several hours later releasing the non-subbed version to Viki, where the volunteers then start to work on subbing it. So, duplicate effort and a delay of getting fully subbed episodes on Viki. Kokowa has ended up being a lose-lose situation for KDrama fans - greater cost and delays in releases/subbing.

On to happier news - CDrama Memory Lost is now on DramaFever. While I’m happy to see it, I haven’t been too impressed with early episodes. I know enough about the plot to know there are a lot of twists coming. I find that the acting style of many Chinese actresses (and the stereotypical voice dubbing) tends to distract and annoy me in most CDramas, but I want to keep going with this show.

Thank you for the comments on Viki/kocowa, I've been wondering how that's working out. It sounds like a mess and a good way to insure that North American viewers watch fewer kdramas.

Yes, thanks for the comments on Kokowa. I've been debating whether to up my subscription, but think my drama slump tendencies lately would make it a waste.

I agree about the style that women actresses have in the Chinese dramas I've checked out - it's annoying enough to prevent me from watching a lot of dramas I might watch otherwise. I've been watching Attention, Love lately - the main girl doesn't have that style, so it's way more watchable (although it's been stuck in a plot loop for many episodes now!)

I'm just glad the Viki has access to new dramas again and the back catalogue is available once more. The Kokowa service isn't available to me, as I'm outside the US and don't really want to do the VPN thing, and Viki tends to have fewer region restrictions than Dramafever.

Since there will not be any new sageuks for a while, I was thinking back to Seven-Days Queen and how big of an impact it had on me. It was the first drama I followed live, and the only so far that had me on toes and waiting for every single episode. Most other dramas during and after were more like "oh, a new episode. cool." and even if I look forward to watch new episodes, the anticipation is not the same. And I kept thinking, what has the general thought been in SKorea about the drama, now that it is all out? I understand people were skeptical because of the portrayal of Yeonsan, but is there other things people did not like about the drama for its low ratings?

ALSO, for a while I have been kind of curious how homosexuality in Joseon would be like, especially between women. In some places in old Europe it was almost not a thing because men did not think women had sexual urges, thus they could not possibly be sexually attracted to others. Would, say, two court ladies/maids of the king, who must remain chaste their whole lives, ever be suspected of having a relationship? Or would people just assume that they were as close as sisters, sleeping in the same quarters, so dedicated to their job they never fawn at the handsome guards, etc.? Could there be a drama about that? Or would the general public scoff at the notion that Joseon people could be actively homosexual? I don't know, I think the idea is because of a mix of 1) wanting more sageuks, 2) wanting to watch more dramas with women and not so much focus on bromances, and 3) curiosity in homosexuality in South Korea.

I can suggest you to watch the movie The Handmaiden. I didn't watch it but it had good reviews. The story is set in the 1930s though.

The Handmaiden is a beautiful film that deals with homosexuality. It's available on Amazon Prime for free.

It's on Prime? There go my evening plans. I wanted to watch it when it first came out but I couldn't find it available anywhere

Yes, on Prime. It's dark and very sensual. But, beautifully shot.

Thank you! I have heard it is very good, so I will seek it out!

Hi everyone! It's my first time commenting here on open thread. I've been lurking on here since the glory days of BOF but never really joined in the comment section.. until Age of Youth 2 ended haha. I felt like i needed to put all that emotions somewhere or else i'd go insane. Thankfully, commenting (lamenting) here really helped ease the pain 😌

Hi february, welcome to OT! Age of Youth was SO great, I will miss it too.

Thanks.
I still can't get over it 🙈

Yes, sadly AOY2 has ended. I will miss everything about the show!

I miss them already, especially Jiwon and Sungmin *sigh*

I feel you! I have my fingers crossed for Age of Youth 3 such a great and entertaining drama :)

And welcome, its also my first time posting after what seems like a year lol

Hi, happy Friday!

Temperature of Love – the bromance is killing me, but the timing is killing me more.

Because This Is My First Life - “Thank you for the neocortex story” – if ever there was an out-of-body-experience pre-kiss line, this is it. I am completely in love with Lee Min Ki and Jung So Min together. There is a Dalja’s Spring vibe to this drama, odd workplace staff, family stress and all.

Hospital Ship – the fake leukemia story really bugs me; it’s hard to get past.

20th Century Boy and Girl – A guy school friend becomes a gynecologist and performs your fibroid cyst surgery.

Okusama wa, Toriatsukai Chuui (Caution, Hazardous Wife) – what an interesting concept – half public awareness message/half whacky jdrama antics. As one character put it, “domestic violence is violence.”

Dragon Club – “Do we look old?” asks a van full of 42-year-old Korean actors who’ve been friends since childhood. Thinking Wanna One, um, yeah guys, you look old. But the first question they asked was if they had a bedtime (hahahaha). A bunch of 42-year-old fathers (except for single Kim Jong Kook) on a guy trip arguing in the car whether Dr. Elefun was Astro Boy’s “father” (not) and singing along to cartoon songs their kids watch – basically they’re all so tired they’re happy to lie around their vacation apartment and eat hot dogs and ramyun (which was the grocery list they made). Still, they're kinda cute, Grandpa Dragons.

I actually used the word manly the other day, a total borrow word from kdramas!

I kind of stopped watching Hospital Ship when the female lead's story was done, so I'm both intruigued and less interested when you mention "fake leukemia". XD I personally feel HS would be best as a movie that focused on the female lead's story, and if it proved popular they could make sequels of the other leads, but again, I don't really know if anything more interesting happened after. What do you think?

Absolutely agree with the movie idea. I dropped Hospital Ship once all this ridiculous drama about fake leukemia started, and Kwak Hyun generally stopped smiling. @owl22 - No idea how you are still watching it, but I'm waiting for Kwak Hyun's smile, and sweet moments between him and his noona love, before I pick it up again :D