Noh Hee-kyung’s Live recruits Shin Dong-wook as loyal policeman

Aww, I’m so glad to hear of Shin Dong-wook (Lookout) being more active again, after taking a number of years off to deal with complex regional pain syndrome. He made his comeback earlier this year in the action-thriller drama Lookout, and has now confirmed locking down his next role, in writer Noh Hee-kyung’s (Dear My Friends) upcoming tvN drama Live.

Live has already secured Jung Yumi (Discovery of Love) to star, as well as Lee Kwang-soo (Entourage), and centers around the incidents that arise at a regional police station. In writer Noh’s trademark style, the drama promises to provide healing moments as it focuses on the smaller moments of everyday life, showing the efforts of police officers to protect small justices and the preciousness of daily life.

Shin Dong-wook’s character is Choi Myung-ho, a police officer who lives and dies by loyalty. Formerly a soccer player, Myung-ho values loyalty and duty above promotions and results, and while he looks up to the character played by Bae Sung-woo (The King), he’ll conflict with Lee Kwang-soo.

Shin Dong-wook was out of commission for seven years because of his health—his last show before getting ill was 2010’s Wish Upon a Star—and I’d worried that he might not ever get to make a comeback. So it was a huge relief to see him taking on Lookout, where I thought he did well with a character with relatively little screentime, and it’s encouraging to see him taking on gradually more work.

Live will be directed by PD Kim Kyu-tae, with whom Noh has worked several times before, on dramas It’s Okay, It’s Love, That Winter, the Wind Blows, and Padam Padam. PD Kim has a distinctive style that can be evocative and effective, though it can also sometimes be infuriating (see: Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo). But he has worked well in partnership with Noh, so let’s hope for the best.

Live is aiming for an early 2018 premiere.

Via TV Report

Tags: ,

I couldn't be happier to see more of him onscreen considering the little screen time he had in lookout

I'm glad priesty is getting better and landing meatier roles. Fell in love with his forever-tired-why-is-my-brother-like-this character in Lookout, and it was such a shame that they didn't explore his character.

Amen and amen! As I mentioned to sicarius in the LOOKOUT alternate endings thread, the brothers' reconciliation arc could have been explored and used as a basis for Do-han's peacemaking with himself and Su-ji. It would have dovetailed nicely with a heart-to-heart on forgiveness between Su-ji and her Mom. Alas, a missed opportunity for SDW's beautifully expressive acting. But maybe at the time the role as it was written was exactly right for the actor, if not the character.

Until LIVE airs, I'll keep my fingers crossed. In case of emergency, I'll break glass and watch SOUL MATE for the third (fourth?) time. Or maybe watch WAR OF MONEY, which I think is the only one of SDW's shows I have yet to see. ;-)

He was really memorable in lookout and has that quite charisma. Happy to see him being more active too. The guy could sing too. i watched him om Masked Singer.

This sounds like something I'd watch, especially from the writer of Dear My Friends, but I have my reservations about the PD after Moon Lovers. I did enjoy It's Okay It's Love though so I might give it a shot.

Shin Dong Wook, love him in Soulmate and glad he has returned to dramaland. His role in Lookout is pretty small so I hope in Live he has a meatier role. Most of all hope he stays healthy!

This news makes me so happy!

I hope he will have a bigger role in this one.
"writer Noh Hee-kyung’s (Dear My Friends) upcoming tvN drama Live." I can get behind that no doubt.

Yesss, I love to see him again in our small screen.

Thanks for your update on Shin Dong-wook, javabeans! I've been hoping to hear he has another project lined up. Easing back into acting makes a lot of sense, and his turn in LOOKOUT was a good start. I certainly wanted to see more of him on screen as the protagonist's brother. Looking forward to his next role. Hwaiting, SDW!

SHIN DONG-WOOK AND JUNG YUMI? So happy he's back. For some reason I'd totally missed Lookout when it aired. Best of luck to him!

yay! oppa is back again, maybe I'll actually watch this drama... I couldn't get into Lookout.

Oh My God! The Priest TT.TT

*confesses to everything and anything*

The priest oppa is landing another project, I loved Dear My friends and i am expecting another great drama from the writer.

Btw, is it me or does he look a bit of Won Bin from the pic?

So happy for him... good luck and be healthy!

Yay! I'll be in the front row for this. *grabs melona bars and popcorn*

All the best.i hope kim woo bin to get well soon and come back to dramaland just like you

it's getting cold though i hope he has enough heaters outside and coats to combat his pain.. nonetheless, this drama will be on my to-be-considered list because i'm not really familiar with his acting (and i should really start Lookout)

I highly recommend SOUL MATE. It's not your usual romance... and the music is terrific. ;-)

Shin Dong Wook has been on my radar since Soulmate (where I totally
fell in love with him), and I'm so happy that he is returning to the industry. Jung Yu Mi is one of my faves as an actress and just in general, so I absolutely cannot wait for them to be in a drama together! <3

YAY I love Shin Dongwook! More, more please~