Open Thread #525

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Hi Beanies !

9th week in Germany. I visited Cologne and Aachen last week and they're interesting cities. Especially Aachen which is small but lovely !

My dream job is to be a translator but I'm quite flexible as long it's texts or publishing work related. A lecturer talked about an interesting job only for native French speakers. It's about correcting contracts and making sure official papers are well translated in French. The problem is that the job is for next year in Berlin and I can't do it because I have to attend lessons in Düsseldorf for the next semester. Even if I'm the only one showing interest I'm not sure if the company will agree on having me work for them for a few months.

Happy Friday :D

As someone who is linguistically challenged, I am in awe of those who have good command of not just one but two languages!

Hope it works out for you.

Thanks for your encouraging words :D

Even if it doesn't work out there will be more opportunities :)

Good luck on your dream job!
My brother used to work as an Arabic-English translator, and the best thing about it was that he could work from home, and travel whenever he wanted!

Thanks :D

I basically want to do the same thing as your brother. Working from home is one of the biggest advantage and actually you can work anywhere as long as you have your laptop :)

That's so cool. I wish I were more linguistically gifted but alas.
Good luck with finding that dream job!

Thanks :D
With a bit of work and time you can actually work on your language skills ;)

@mango—If you have time, check out this 4-min prologue to a 2006 episode of This American Life related to translation. "Sink or Swim" explores stories of people who found themselves in over their head.

This painfully hilarious bit tells the true story of a young man who discovers he's absolutely unqualified for his new job translating German in Detroit. His first assignment? Translating automotive tech to a group of Austrian tourists. So. Funny. https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/321/sink-or-swim?act=0#play

Are you studying to be a translator? I obtained my master two years ago, this brings back memories :)

Job hunting taught me to apply, even though circumstances do not look ideal. Sometimes employers are willing to look for a solution together, who knows? If it does not work out, you can at least say that you tried and that you were prepared for the outcome.

Of course, this is just me trying to encourage and be supportive of another Beanie, you will know best what is right for you and what is not ;)

Enjoy your stay in Germany, it is fun to read your weekly updates! 

Might not work for you right now,but maybe a better opportunity will come along later. Good luck,mango!

I wish I could keep up with my language courses.My proficiency certificates in German and Spanish have both lapsed 2 years ago and I need to attend courses again before I could take exams.

Happy Friday beanies! Hope everyone is doing well. I am doing better than I was a few weeks ago. But I’m so busy I haven’t gotten around to watching all the dramas I want to this cycle. But I make sure to keep up with the recaps of BECAUSE THIS LIFE IS OUR FIRST, 20th CENTURY BOY AND GIRL, and WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING.

I was pleasantly surprised by He dramabeans blog last week and can’t wait for this week’s (I really missed the podcasts, so this was welcome!). But funny story - I’ve seen the pics of the meetups, and for some reason I’ve always thought that Girlfriday was Javabeans. So imagine my surprise when she opened her mouth and it was girlfriday’s podcast voice that came out! Looool.

Anyway. Here’s to a good week to come for us all.

Being busy and not having time to watch what you want is hard, but then not being busy and just loafing around is hard too (too much first hand experience). Even though I probably have more time to watch dramas then most, I still keep up with the recaps of some shows because I've been burned before and I can always catch up later when they are over. I am watching the one's you mentioned and all I can say is so far so good:)

It's been 3 weeks since we came back home from Italy, and 2 weeks since I told myself to clean my room. Like, clean clean. Tomorrow will be cleaning day I swear. I have some old clothes I need to donate. Used notebooks to throw out. Books I don't intend to reread. Lately I'm trying to cultivate a "if I don't need it, discard it" mentality, because I tend to keep old stuff, saying I might need it in the future (but I never do!). And the funny thing is that sometimes I do end up needing something but I realize I threw it out. Just thinking about cleaning makes me feel tired, lol.

Oh and three days to go before Episode 11. Sigh.

I totally understand the keeping-old-stuff-you-don't-need. It's hard to throw them away and when you do that's when you need them the most ha. Is the universe playing a joke on us ? lol

I love these jokes, because they eventually turn into excuses to buy new things! What can I say, I am such a dutiful consumer.

Haha that's a good way to take these jokes !

Good luck with the cleaning! I'm a hoarder but occasionally I have massive spring cleanings and then like you, I totally find myself needing the one thing I just threw out. (Despite not needing it for the past year or so.) I choose to therefore see it as a sign to clean up less often. LOL.

I clean up only a few times a year too, but after staying in several airbnb rooms last month I had this strong urge to really throw out half of whatever's inside my room, haha! I don't even have a blank wall to stare at when I'm trying to think XD

We beanies dont even need to be told the 11th ep of which drama, right? Hehe..

I have a question: Why do people in Kdramas always get a pain in the neck(literally) when they get aggravated? I don't think I see this in dramas elsewhere. Is there a Korean phrase to it?

Maybe because of high blood pressure? LOL. I'm also curious about that. They either get a pain in neck or faint.

Indigestion is another favorite.

Nosebleeds!

Kdrama people seem to be awfully fragile.

Haha, even the smallest cuts need antiseptic cream and bandaids (although this is probably good practice)

if you have a cough, you get rushed to the hospital. And I have to admit I don't wear very high-heeled shoes, but I've never broken a heel on my shoe and I've fallen over less than a handful of times in my entire life. And never once including a near-collision with a bicycle or moped.

Love the Twenty Again picture!! One of my favourite drama ever.😍
In another country currently so I was not able to watch a lot of dramas. I am way behind BTIMFL, I need to catch up with all of the goodness when I'm back with speedy Internet and less distraction. Watching clips and bits of kpop in YouTube to sustain myself..and clips of Gag Concert. Haha. 😆😆

I rewatch clips of Gag Concert too ! Especially the cringey ones like She Was Pretty, 10 years later, Badum Badum, Beautiful Imprisonment etc. They give me more feels than dramas lol

Watching the 900th ep special with all the guests and all the previous gag segments. Hahahhhaa
Precious gem.

Chicken High School still makes me laugh, even though I know what's coming.

Good catch with the Twenty Again picture and kept thinking why the photo looks so familiar. Loved the drama too!

Hello Beanies!

It's been a crazy week as always, but yippie to me- I finally finished blogging about my Korea trip!!!

It's super photo heavy, so you have been warned!

And I'm totally missing being there. ☹️
And the hilarious part is that I'm clearly not the only one- I taught the Boy how to say Annyeonghasaeyo and Kamsahapnida- and he has been saying it even though we aren't in Korea. And though I've told him we aren't in Korea anymore- his response is- "I want to go back to Korea!" LOL. 😝😝😝 Me too, baby Boy, me too.

Watched While You Were Sleeping, and almost up to date, but it's so fascinating to see how Organ Donation is so different in Korea compared to where I am, from even the fundamental things like Brain Death and when patients are declared to be dead.

Haven't had time to watch anything else but will definitely be checking out Because This is my First Life once I have a bit more time.

Hope everyone has a good week ahead!

Wow! Beautiful blog and pictures! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience.

Thanks! I really had an awesome holiday and I'm totally planning to go back in the future, next time in Spring!

Ah, that looks great! Glad you all had a good time. I think you mentioned once that you randomly saw a boy band performing somewhere -- I'm waiting for those pics to see who it was. 😬 Shows where my priorities lie.

Omo! I totally forgot. I will find sometime to add them in. XD
They were older looking tho. and I think I used my phone so I am not sure about the resolution. But I will go dig them up and add them in tml!

haha ngl i'm also intrigued to learn who this group was :) One of my fave groups performed there recently so it made me super curious as to whether it could have been them xD

@michykdrama glad you had a great trip! :D

Which reminds me that I have yet to blog about my trip! The drafts are there, I swear. But I'm too lazy to edit photos and churn out words. Hahaha! I remember we were in Seoul around the same time last month. :)

Will check out your post and hopefully I get the drive to finish and post mine!

Do it! haha. And let me know when you do, I'll go check out your blog. Never too early to get inspiration for the next trip XD

Off to read your blog! I. Any teach my kids anything Korean, they just roll their eyes at me! Although, we had a Korean nanny before I was obsessed with kdramas and she taught them some phrases. Kamsahamnida was one of them!

The Boy would love a Korean nanny! haha. And so would I... actually I think me more than him. LOL

Aloha, Michykdrama!

Your photos are beautiful! I especially like the ones of you and The Boy in hanbok. Very spiffy.

Re: Garden of Morning Calm. Some parts of it reminded me of CAN YOU HEAR MY HEART? Whatever, it is gorgeous.

What wonderful synchronicity to get to hear the GOBLIN concert. ;-)

Thanks for sharing your visual souvenirs!

Thanks pakalanapikake! 😊

And thanks for your recs last week. I'm still struggling to find the time to watch, but I think my plate will be empty once WYWS finishes next week so we will see...

Awesome pictures! Makes me wanna go to the same places you went to when I finally travel to Korea (I'm planning to go some time next year *fingers crossed)

Haha you are welcome! I wrote about some tips before going, like the invaluable CityMapper app. Be sure to download it before you go! I'm sure you will have an awesome time!!!

Your photos are reminding me that I should go to Dongdaemun....

Thanks for sharing your amazing trip to Korea!

Hey beanies!!

In a cab on my way to home from work... I wanted to leave a little earlier but friday here and the last minue work grabbed me in its evil clutches!
Anyhoo!! M glad its the weekend... thinking of studying, acing a few tests and watching a korean movie or something.
The last week was kind of a revelation for me. This month end i will have completed exactly one year at my second job. Although the pay is good and the hours are fixed, its not my dream job... Its better than my first but I seriously do not want to rest unless I am in the place where I want to be career wise!

Have a great weekend beanies and I hope that whatever job you do no matter how different it is, you enjoy and its all what you have dreamt of!!😄

Hope you will get to pursue your dream one day :D

Thank you so much!!

This week I joined the group of Beanies feeling completely satisfied after watching BTLIOF and not having the desire to watching anything else. I am not sure how to sort out this new attitude toward dramas.

This week at a braindead moment I found myself closing a work email with “fighting!” I had to quickly delete that and substitute with boring phrase like “best regards.”

#KDramaDailyLifePermeation

These are real life problems for a kdrama fan!! I find myself bowing at inopportune moments rather than shaking hands...

HAHAHA so me! I bow when meeting new people and when I'm asking for a favor too. It ingratiates into your daily rhythm!

I always want to encourage people with "fighting!" but then sadly realize they'll have no idea what that is. For a while "ddabong" used to make it up to my lips also.

I find myself reacting to people’s nonsense with “michyeosseo” almost off my tongue.

I say that a lot to my cat. Gets the same level of non-response as English does. That's cats for ya

I say "jinjja" a lot when I'm grumbling to myself :-))) ...

I keep wanting to say 'fighting' because it seems so appropriate in too many circumstances. #AmWatchingTooMuchKDrama

Omo has become part of my daily vocabulary. lol

my sisters and i talk with korean phrases here and there that even our brother and parents understand them now

Suju came back!! YAY😊😆
However they came back as half 😯😯 As an Oreo (normal fan) I feel disgusted at K-Elf, and felt more bitter than sweet at seeing 6 (at one point 5) members at music shows 😡😡😡
On the other hand I can happily watch their varieties, and bought their album ☺

YG might be trash, but at least BigBang were never separated by him. Wish SuJu were in YG instead, so all of them could just tour to Japan and other countries all year long 😆😆

Wait, Oreo means normal fan?

I missed Suju. It's too bad that Sungmin and now Siwon had to back out a bit this time.

Oreo is a self-made name (saw in a suju on crack video, uri sperjuni-oreo, and decided to adopt it) :)
Minnie kills, not hurts. Can't believe he could be seen more when he was in the army :( :(

Ah did they have the comback now? Saw that there was some drama surrounding it and was unsure what would happen.

They had the comeback. With only 6 members (Leeteuk, Heechul, Yesung, Donghae, Eunhyuk, Shindong). Kangin had a second DUI last year, Sungmin was very close to comeback.. but he's still married, Siwon was in the album.. but his situation is a flipping mess. Kyuhyun & Ryewook are in the army.

Anyone is watching Meloholic? I'm thinking to try it, both leads are not my favs, but I love that the female lead's character has dual personality.

I have watched the first two episodes, and it is okay to watch. There is also mystery/thriller element about murder. Since it only have 10 episodes, I expect it to be good.

10 epi is just nice. Thanks for the reply..

I'm watching it and I quite like it.
I have no problem with the leads acting. There are some mysteries, why the heroine has double personality and who attacked the hero the day he got his super power. Ah, there is a serial killing mystery too. So it's intriguing enough for me.
I have some complaints though. There is too much "hot scenes" of unnecessary couples which I don't find hot at all. That makes the pace feels slow.

Yeah! It is quite disgusting to me about the "hot scenes" that almost make drop the drama. Haha.

So far the first 2 episodes look promising (really liking the hints - spoiler - about boyfriends gone missing) but let's wait after next two episodes...

Hi fellow beanies. I really have nothing to say, but I happened upon "open thread Friday" so early that I think it would be wasteful to not make a comment.

Me, too!

I read a post(based on article on Naver) on reddit that tvN is preparing for Signal Season 2, also Forest of Secrets is under Review For Season 2!

Hopefully it comes true, amen.

I read on Soompi that they're not even sure yet if the Signal 2 is a go-go yet. Here's hoping it pushes through! <3

Oh. I just read the respond from Studio Dragon to the report today about Signal Season 2 that they are still considering, no decision yet.

Argh, quite frustrating but still optimistic. Huhu

Signal 2!!! Oh please please please...

Signal 2, yes, please

I heard a while ago that Liar Game 2 was also being planned, but nothing since then...

Oh and today I was browsing old Lee Min-ki stuff and came across a picture of him singing...somewhere...and he had long hair (and a skort), like a bob (!!), and so naturally I spazzed and now that he's making a drama comeback I hope he gets a new project soon that requires that long hairstyle. Whew. The cherry on top is that he's also a wonderful actor.

Hello beanies! Hope you guye are having a good time!

I've been really busy lately: extra Meetings at work, my email getting shut Down for two weeks. Oh And curerntly working on moving in With my boyfriend (how scary is that).

the toddlers keep being cute, but sadly no time to Write them Down (or Things related to drama troomps :P ).

dramaland:
been watching mostly chinese dramas lately. Slowly crawling my way out of an excensive dramaslump. Also been wondering if I should start introducing them to my Boyfriends.. But not really any Clues as to where to start.

I started watching more Chinese dramas too. It your boyfriend likes crazy meme-worthy shows The Big Boss is the one to go with. It looks like a highschool anime with random characters doing characters and has the best first episode intro I've ever seen.
Something more serious is Nirvana in Fire. I'm currently watching it and so far it's good.

Hi - I loved When A Snail Falls in Love (graphic violence though - very Sherlock Holmes meets CSI) and anything by Gu Mann, but especially Shan Shan Comes to Eat (also titled Boss and Me), and the director’s cut of You Are My Sunshine.

The King’s Woman has beautiful cinematography. Also, the first Scarlett Heart was addictive, but so tragic that I only watched the first half.

The King's Woman just blew me away... so intense... loved it! the Han character is so much more handsome when not in character (saw the prefilming photos)... all three male leads were very very good and handsome, at that!
; )

Happy Friday Beanies ! I took a day-off so I won't have to go to work tomorrow 😊 It's time to marathon dramas !

BTLIOF - I'm on my way to episode 5
Avengers Club - episode 3
WYWS - I only had time to watch the clip from Yoon Kyun Sang and Lee Sung Kyung cameo, but I have to start watching from episode 1 soon !

Sadly I have to drop Witch's Court and Mad Dog, they have no place in my schedule

I guess I'll only be able to watch 2 dramas from now on, so I had planned to just watch Doubtful Victory and I am not a Robot. I hope they will be able to balanced out the thriller and rom-com weekly dose. I also still want to check the first 2 episodes of Two Cops and Nothing to Lose

Which next batch of dramas do you look forward to the most Beanies?

Okay, so I said I'll update DB if/when there are updates about Ronald from Unit 3F and my parking woes. So here it is!

I got his digits!

But it's not exciting because I am a passive person. Hahaha!

One day, someone knocked on my door and it's the caretaker. He gave me my utility bills (BILLS HUHUHU) and then a slip of paper. With Ronald's number. Apparently, Ronald said to give me his number so I can text or call him if I need his car to be moved, since he's the one blocking the gate nowadays.

I told this to my friends and they were teasing me. It just didn't feel that this actually happens. Hahaha! Digits randomly dropped by the universe.

Anyway, I texted him last Monday to move his car and he was nice about it! Although he did misspell my name. Hahahuhu. After that, I never saw his car again. Seriously. Did he move out?!?! Or were he home in the province? Hahaha makes me curious

Aww I'm rooting for Ronald x @whoopeeyoo

Perhaps the next time his car blocks the way you can chat a bit with like doing small talk ?

Aaaaww... I was wondering about this, thank you for updating us :) you could always try the Bok Nam (got a pen, got a note, got a BF?) way on texting ronald. Ask random question consecutively, then finish it with, got a date for this week?

This is great - a Beanie’s real life drama with continuations every open thread. Hope you get a total meet-cute. In a real drama you would text him to thank him for moving the car and BAM, you’d be meeting for coffee in the next scene.

Omo omo omo omo omo omo. Now, you need to ask him out.

Or at least use it to thank him and politely ask where he is parking now (to get a conversation started)...

Rooting for ya! (also wanting to live vicariously through you 😆)

*nod nod* *grabs popcorn* * can we get weekly updates?!*

Of course you would be here 😂

Hahahaha.. Oops caught ! :D

Go Back Couple is my current favorite, touching and relatable. I was marvelling at how well Jang Nara emotes and completely melted into her character. I was thinking if Samsooki is watching this...

Just wonder if the ‘older’ beanies remember this passionate great debate at DB back in 2010 (which was the era when Girlfriday was not even here yet):

Time flies. The debate is not necessary anymore as seriously I think Jang Nara should do a masterclass to all the newbies on how to emote and how to steal audience’s heart.

I do remember, but I haven't been seeing Samsookie around since ages ago.

also dahee, and i still worry about thundie

Hi beanies!

So, I had another dream of Bogum. My husband is kinda mad at me because he thinks that I'm too obsessed with bogum. But I'm not, really! It just happens that my instagram feed is full of him, because i followed some of his hardcore fans account, and i often dreamt the last thing I saw before sleeping. Ah, who am I kidding. Maybe I am obsessed! Though it felt wrong sometimes because he's the same age as my baby brother, and it feels like I'm fawning over his friend LOL.

Anyway, I will be flying to Seoul in 27 days from now, very excited about it. This will be my first time going to South Korea, and i will be going with my best friend since high school. She doesn't share the same love of kdrama, and doesn't even know a single name, Maybe just bogum because i talked about him all the time. We share the same love for food though, so I'm excited to have some culinary experience.

Whoa! Tell us all about it when you get back, and maybe your friend will find a love for Korea and kdramas while you're there!

She agreed to help me with photoshot in some of Goblin's location though. We're planning to go to garden of morning calm also, so u can have another photo shot in Moonlight's location. Bless her soul for putting up with my crazy :)

Oh! That sounds daebek! Just watched ep 9 of goblin yesterday and I️ want to go skiing at that resort now! Hahaha! My friends who went to Quebec with me also ski, so hopefully we can make that happen!

And I just realized you dedicated a whole paragraph to sweet Gummy. Lol! I skimmed and saw “Korea” and started reading there! I’m sure your husband has a celebrity crush too! What was your dream, though?

Nothing scandalous LOL.

It was a indie folk music festival in the middle of a forest, the color and mood id the dream were pastel and full of light. And there he was playing the piano beautifully with people surrounding him. I tried getting closer, and finally got a spot right in front of him. He looked up and smiled. After he finished playing, I asked for a photo, he complied. We had a few good selfie then he said that he has to go now.

Moments later while I was trying to go home, I realized my phone was missing. I went back to a building (believing that the phone would be there) and was running up and down all the floors searching for it. Then back on the first floor I met this cleaning lady and asked if ny any chance she had my phone. She said to to look out there, "he" has your phone. So I went out the building and saw bogum with his back facing me. He turned his head and saw me. He had this biggest smile, and tilt his head to the side, while his hand was dangling my phone. I ran up to him then he patted my head softly. I asked for another selfie, he laughed and as i was preparing my phone camera, he suddenly he grabbed my waist and hugged me from the side, and put his cheek side to side on mine.

I woke at that ending because my husband woke me up. He said I was giggling & smiling in my sleep. That's why I told him the dream, and he got mad LOL.

😂 yeah, if it were me, I would have told him I was dreaming about him (and not bogum). 😝

The bruhaha over casting IU in next year's TVN's drama (My Ajusshi), South Korea has articles coming up left and right about the recent trend of pairing up older actors with much younger actresses. While I have no problem with stopping this trend per say, I can't help feeling sad that this project between the Signal PD and Oh Hae Young's writer may not happen at all now. I think if they had gone after a less known idol/actress, never mind someone who looks much younger than her age like IU, this drama would have been produced a bit quietly. After all, they already got Lee Sun Gyun and in the process of casting Na Moon Hee, a veteran actress, and the premise is a bond between an older man and a young woman. Really too bad, because I totally trust the director to treat the subject matter sensitively. Does anyone else think the drama will be shelved for good now?

Even when I am against old man and a much younger girl pairing, I will feel bad for the PD, writer and LSG because they could actually produce something really good which doesn't necessarily need to involve much romance. However, if SK has finally realized that such pairings are inappropriate (why theres no fuss over Kim Eun Sook's show btw? I suppose thats the same age difference or even more) then I guess its better that this one gets shelved off and they dont continue this trend further.

Your comments appear pretty judgmental and long on stereotypes (all romances between young and old are de facto inappropriate?) how about interracial relationships? intercultural relationships? interreligious relationships?

or is it just dramas of this ilk that bother you?

Older guy - younger girl pairing is anything new that they are like finally made a fuss about. It is because of IU who is well known idol and apprarently some of her fans rather than being grateful that someone like IU is able to act with a top actor like Lee Sun-kyun, made a big fuss of it. They should just cast young movie actress or rookie actress who is selected based on audition. There are also many more young talented drama actresses, who are much much better than IU can fill the spot.

Sigh. This is exactly my feeling and now I am very very sad for PD, writer, and LSK that this project may never see light again. I have been waiting for LSK to come back with a strong drama after last year's This Week, and to think that he would be working with the Signal PD too. And now this fans' overreaction really just killed everything. Even if they are able to find another actress for the role, I would think everyone else would be going into production very apprehensively instead of being able to tell a story confidently.

OT Week 40, guys! Well, can I just say, TGIF to you all?!!! We dodged a huge bullet this week, thinking that we were going to put down one of our two dogs, my husband going so far as to make an appointment to do so and it would have been today. I swear, that man has been looking to kill her for the past two years. But he’s very sensitive and hates to see any of God’s creatures in pain, so when she fell last week and couldn’t get up for an hour and cried the entire time, he made the call. Thank my stars that she perked up and our friend (who also has 3 dogs, and one older one like mine) saw her bounding around and playing when he was walking his dogs and told my husband she wasn’t ready to go! And for those that don’t know, my handle here is my other dog’s name, Ally. She’s actually older, but she’s my fighter and my lover (don’t tell oppa!)

Of course, BTLIOF was amazing this week. I loved Se-Hee’s new hair cut, I love the internal dialogues where Ji-ho expresses her vulnerabilities, and I love how this couple speaks each other’s language. So refreshing and I can’t wait to see another episode.

What else did I watch? I did see the 1st episodes of both Shut Up Flower Boy Band and Can We Get Married? And you would think that the reason I watched these was for Sung Joon who is the lead in both these, and between all the actors that I’ve watched, it seems that Sung Joon appears in every single drama that everyone I like is in (White Christmas was the last full drama I saw with him). Because I never start a drama to see him, but I always end up watching him. And he’s always good. Lee Min Ki in SUFBB—much better than average. I do see that his acting is well suited for movies though. Can anyone here recommend a good kmovie with him?

Convo time, with my husband who is not as enamored with BTLIOF as I am:

Hubby: So is dimple boy really a stalker/rapist?

Me: Hubby, this is a rom-com, of course not! But we’ll find out this week.

Hubby: But wasn’t she accosted and almost raped earlier?

Me: Touche. By a drunk co-worker, and she put him in his place, but that’s not the same as a cute puppy on the loose for actually committing a crime stalking our lead girl.

Hubby: The more you talk about this, the less I want to watch it. At least the actress is pretty.
Me: She’s adorable. *rolling eyes* I’ll just stop talking then.

Hubby: Best idea I’ve heard all night. Okay, kids, time for bed, your mom has to watch her kdrama now! *To me* Aren’t you going to tuck them in?

Me: Oh, I thought you were going to since I’ve stopped talking tonight?

Hubby: Touche. *As he goes and tucks the kids in first and I start the show!*

Moral of the Story: I really do love my husband, but sometimes my desire to watch kdramas is a little bit stronger.

2nd Moral: I’m dragging my feet to put down our dogs, I know, but it’s my husband that will really be the heartbroken one, so I’m trying to delay this as long as...

...long as possible.

3rd Moral: Happy Veteran’s Day (observed) and thank a veteran for their service this weekend US beanies! You’ll make their day!

I'm curious about why you said his acting is well-suited more for movies! I'm preparing to watch some of his work (Monster, SUFBB) after BTLIOF ends...

It’s just not as over the top as some actors I’ve seen. Subtle and expressive, but not 😝.

Ah yes, I get what you mean. It's always a great experience to see actors like him.

He totally stole the show for me in SUFBB. I still haven't recovered from that drama (will not spoil it for you). His acting is always very intense for me, so it's actually hard to see him restraining himself in BTIFOL for the sake of the character.

I did see some of his scenes in SUFBB (I also know he...ended in Ep 2) and yes, after seeing him being crazy (and so thin jfc) I was more amazed to see him as Se-hee!

Spellbound and Shoot Me in the Heart were both good @ally-le (Sorry to hear about your dog but I think they let you know when it's time.)

Thanks!

Hi Ally, I can relate about your dog.Ours recent didn't have any appetite and kept wobbling and sliding whenever she tries to walk. Brought her to the vet, and all seem in order and gave her extra supplements.Vet told us it's just that she's old,it's her 8th year this year. Just to make sure she gets to eat,my sister and I spoonfeed her or directly just give her meat.Heartbreaking to see her get weak,but she's fighting it out.

Ours are 14 and 15. They’ve had full lives, and we’ve been preparing ourselves for the past couple years. They were are babies before we had babies!

Our, not are. That was crazy.

I believe no matter how much we prepare we'll always not be ready. I still sometimes end up teary eyed when I chance upon photos of our past 3 dogs (1 when I was still an only child and 2 when we were 4 siblings already) who were with us when they were just 1 month old and died of old age.

BTLIOF - Writer fooled me with the Stalker angel, thank goodness, the show doesn’t need that. Look forward to the kimchi making next episode.

Go Back Spouses- Looking forward to this week’s eps.
Melohlic: It’s ok so far , oddly over abundant skinship 🤭
3:30 Wednesday: Simple web drama, 10 short episodes, ok. Best friends become OTP

Movie, Empire of Dust. Documentary about a. Chinese construction company working in the DR Congo.

I watched the first 8 subbed episodes of Buam-dong/Avengers Social Club this week and find it really entertaining, nicely alternating between funny and serious. I am definitely not surprised that it has so good ratings in Korea

For those in America Happy Veterans Day! Hope everyone had a lovely week.

Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Finished this drama this week and loved it. I don't like medical dramas but the quirky characters and excellent actors in this country hospital really made this drama great. Seo Hyun-Jin is the best and I am now in love with Han Suk-Kyu and Yoo Yeon-Seok. Both who I've never seen in anything before. I could watch another 20 episodes following these fun and unique characters around.

Attention, Love! A cute Taiwanese drama. I'm on episode 9 and it's a fun watch. I really like the main girl and her interesting mixture of vulnerable yet strong personality. The main guy is boring and frustrating at times but I'm excited to see when he finally gets a clue and lets himself be with the girl.

I wanna watch Black but I think Netflix has the rights so I need to wait for that to finish airing before they release it. I also really want to see Because This Life Is Our First. My mom and Beanies have been raving about how good it is, but I don't like watching dramas until they are finished airing so I'll hold out a little longer. It's my Birthday this weekend and it will be spent watching more While You Were Sleeping, Mad Dog and Temperature of Love. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

How do you find out if Netflix has rights to kdramas or movies?

I assume Netflix has rights to Black because my Canadian friend says they are releasing episodes as they air. The Wiki page for Black says this:

"It was reported that the series is under negotiation with Netflix for a simultaneous streaming deal"

I'm in America and don't see it on Netflix. But it also isn't on Dramafever, Viki or Kocowa which if they had the rights would already be airing it. I usually don't know if Netflix has the rights to a movie or drama until they actually show up on the service, I just wanted to see Black which is why I looked into it.

Netflix Canada is showing Black. The episodes are being released one week after they are originally aired, which is why I’m always late to comment on it.

Surprised to hear it’s not airing on US Netflix.

Ya it must operate differently in US. They also said they were going to release the first 8 episodes of Man x Man and then the last 8 but they ended up waiting until the full drama was done before they released it. Other countries got it sooner though. Not sure why they can't also release the episodes as they air in the US. I can wait though, I don't like watching a drama until it's finished anyways so it's not a huge deal for me.

Same here. I usually don’t know until it actually shows up in the que.

I just read it is coming to the US Netflix in early December.

🎊🎉Happy Birthday!🎉🎊

Thank you!

🎂🎂🎂 happy birthday to you ! 🎈🎈🎈

Thank you!

Hello Beanies! Just finished " The best hit" ( I know I'm late on this one). Pretty good drama even if some stuffs keep bothering me because I found them completely illogical. When I watch a drama I have huge difficulties to "just" watch and not try to understand what happens on the screen. Typically all the time travel thing gives me a headache! But I think it's because it's a complete nonsense and the "rules" of time travels aren't respected. So, ok, I'll pass on this one.
But, what I found even more illogical is why, oh, why Ji Hoon doesn't recognize Hyun Jae as his father at first sight ( or at least noticed that Da Bong looks like his father ) ??? He knows that Gwang Jae is not his biological father and that his real one is dead (he knows that his watch is from him). Didn't he see any picture of him all this time? Didn't he even know his name ( because if so he could have search information on Internet!)? And even if that's the case ( which is quite ridiculous) how is it possible that during the memorial scene ( just before Da Bong fells from the ceiling) he doesn't connect the dots since there's a picture of Hyun Jae just in front of him???
It looks like a huge plot hole for me but maybe I missed something and a kind beanie can explain it to me. ^^

That's not even the worst; the show was watchable, but I found it a bit long, and the last stretch ruined it definitely for me: my most hated drama tropes together, and a solution that went against all the rules of time travel...

The characters definitely suffered from not being able to recognize faces. The memorial photo as you mentioned. Also, what was her name, the bread-ajumma-former-singer (Bo Hee?) couldn't recognize Hyun Jae even after interacting with him.

The main reason I unfavorited the drama was because it abandoned its variety humour and overemphasised romance in the second half. The ending was ok, I guess, but by then I didn't love the drama anymore.

Still trying to finish Falsify two months after it ended...waiting for Viki to translate last 6 episodes! Really! I end up forgetting the storyline by the time the next episodes are ready.

Went to a jazz concert last night and there's something therapeutic about enjoying a show where no one is talking or recording the whole thing on their phone. Can't wait to go to another one in the near future.

I'm going to my first Hackathon In a couple of hours and I'm honestly a bit scared. Partially because I've never been to one and also because I'll be one of a few woc at the event. But I'm also excited!! Wish me luck ✨

This week I realized it's hard to keep up with 4 dramas when school, and life get in the way. I need to find a new schedule for drama watching. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hope you all had a great week!!

*putting lots of positivity into the air*
💫🌸✨💕💫🌷✨💓💫

you go, gurl!! FIGHTING!

Currently watching Man Who Dies to Live - and I'd have to say, controversies over few-seconds scene aside, this drama is quite solid.

And I totally have a crush on Jasper Cho. Didn't remember him from DOTS (this drama didn't leave quite an impression to me anyway) but he is so darn hot in this drama! Must be all that suit too.

I only watched the first two episodes and then got distracted. And I thought no one was going to sub it anymore after the controversy.

It was my first time seeing Jasper Cho and omg, he looked so fineeeee. I looked him up and he’s only been in 2 dramas! o: Hope to see him in future projects soon.

What a heap of garbage. Sorry, but cultural appropriation should never be excused.

Beanies!
It has been a roller coaster. I started my new job--which I love. It is so nice to be able to go to work. Period. Its nice to go to work. But in addition its nice to work at a place where people actually love their jobs. My last library everyone was unhappy and pissed and it was just a bad atmosphere. I had worked in various libraries in that system for 7 years and I can't think of a single person who enjoys working there. So, every day leaving there its been a blast because its nice enjoy working in a library again.
However, my very first day my car overheated and I was on the side of the road waiting for AAA to come rescue me. It was one of those interstate highways were its only two lanes--one for fast traffic one for slow and you don't see the traffic going in the opposite direction. No street lights at all and apparently there are a lot of deer, elk and MOOSE in the area that come out at night and you have to be careful to not hit them with your car. So I was nervous thinking I was about to become a snack for wildlife when this guy came knocking on my window. I have written many a short story that involves a woman broken down on the side of the highway only to be murdered by the roadside assistant guy (and seen many eps of many dramas. And the real world news.) so I was terrified especially since this wasn't the AAA guy. But, some rando. However, he was really nice and looked at my car to make sure she was ok. He put in several gallons of coolant in it and sat in his car behind me for 30 mins to make sure I'd be ok. Nice people exist! I made it home safely but of course was terrified for the rest of the week driving back and forth. My commute is TWO HOURS. Almost three in traffic. I've been looking for additional work because monetarily speaking its not worth the traffic. Its a part time subbing position. I can get maybe 19 hours a week, sometimes less sometimes more. I'm thinking of moving to the area as its the only job I've been able to find but then---moving for such uncertain employment doesn't seem smart either. I had a really good interview the day before I started training that it seemed like I had--the manager walked me out, gave me a tour and we talked about programming for about 20 mins after the interview was over but she emailed me last night to say that she went in another direction. I had another seemingly really good interview for a full time position in the same city as the part time subbing job. The principal (it was for a teachers assistant position) wanted someone to start this past Monday and said that she would call me last Wednesday and let me know one way or another. She called on Thursday and her message was, "Sorry [isa] I meant to call you yesterday but I was waiting to hear back from one last reference. Please call me back as soon as you can, I would really love to speak with you! I'm running around the building all day so call the front office and they'll track me down for you!...

, "Sorry [isa] I meant to call you yesterday but I was waiting to hear back from one last reference. Please call me back as soon as you can, I would really love to speak with you! I'm running around the building all day so call the front office and they'll track me down for you! Looking forward to talking to you! Talk soon [principal lady]" That sounded promising as all get out so I called back and they couldn't track her down. I called the next day (Friday) they couldn't track her down. I called Monday and the secretary told me that she wasn't sure what the principal wanted but she knows that position has already been filled. I left another message and here it is Friday--never spoke with the principal. So rude! It seems like she should have just left a message saying I didn't get the job or shot me an email. The tone and the eagerness in her voice made it sound like I got the job--and most jobs that i don't get they have no problem leaving a voice mail. Me wasting my time calling her and trying to chase her down? Was because I had hope that the job was for me!
I'm not sure what's going to happen next. I'm plum out of plans and hope is running super thin these days. I had two really good interviews yesterday--but most of my interviews go really well. I am a good interviewer. I have good references and no idea why I never get the job! When I ask I always get a vague "we decided to go in another direction". I'm exhausted and a bit terrified. Hopefully I'll get the job in OH (with the tears).
In spite of the hot mess that is my life I'm in a really good mood today. I'm going to make food for the week (pumpkin chili, fried chicken, beans and rice w/guac, and honey bbq chicken tenders I think) and watch Pride and Prejudice (I've been saying this for weeks and havent managed it at all!) followed--maybe--by a Lee Min Ki movie marathon. Or. Maybe I'll sit on my duff stalking the Fanwall and biting my fingernails down to the quick in worry.

I tried to delete when I saw that this was just a solid block of text without any paragraph breaks that will make your eyes bleed if you attempt to read it and it didn't work. So...bless you if you made it to the end.

Keep strong @isthatacorner - I may be wrong but maybe the Principal was waiting for her first choice candidate to respond to an offer so she didn't want to give you a definite no at first. Are you getting feedback from your interviews? Sorry if I'm behind on the details but I've been away twice recently.

That makes sense. There were two positions for the 5th grade in that school and two positions for the first grade as well. Oh well. It was a good interview but I have absolutely NO school experience. If the interview hadn't gone so well I wouldn't have expected to hear back from them at all. And then that stupid voicemail was so misleading.

I forgot OT doesn't seem to send notifications @isthatacorner so sorry not to reply sooner. I think the positives to take from this are that firstly you got an interview in a setting where you don't have experience so your applications must be good and secondly that you had a good interview and might have been successful.

Oh, and the only feedback I get is, "We found someone whom we feel would just be a better fit for us at this time." Like...I'm sorry but are you saying that you DON'T want to have a good time at work? Because I bring fun. And Endless kdrama chatter. So.

Hmm. That old cop out! Still it is always worth asking. These days as an interviewer you have to be clear what you expect from the interviewee and have to record whether they met the requirements. Maybe you are so good that you scare them. I usually do best when I'm not sure if I even want the job!

I made it! hahaha Job hunting is so emotionally draining and self deprecating, especially when you keep getting turned down. I really hope you get the job in OH and it works out well!!!
Also reading that bit about the chicken made my stomach growl...

I was young and full of energy when I wrote that post, man. I barely made it to the grocery store for a bag of chips to go with my Subway sandwich. Seriously, yo, it is almost 4pm my time and I haven't had a single thing to eat or drink because LAZY has taken a hold of my soul. I keep looking at my kitchen like---maybe it'll make itself? I had dreams of Indian Butter Chicken curry (there's a mix I like).
That would be nice. Right now people keep asking me how I'm doing and I say terrible but I say it with such cheer and of course, jazz hands, that they don't believe me. And I follow that up with my life is falling apart and I'm seconds away from living in the furniture department of walmart while doing a little dance. And they tell me I'm adorable and brave and to "keep it up kid".

Hahaha awww
Ii know that feeling... usually I get super weird and shaky if I don't eat though. I mean, I can function on no food and sleep but my body hates me for it haha.

Oh man... *hugs isa* *also relates too much to the "terrible with jazz hands thing"*

Hang in there! as an unemployed Beanie I can relate. I am glad that you can rant about your woes here, it is sometimes hard to find a listening ear in such situations. :)

It is something that I very much appreciate. IRL there have been days that I have spent rocking in a corner sobbing and not knowing what the heck to do next and I come here and I talk dramas and music or rant about whatever and I feel better. Even if I'm posting the same thing over and over or no one is responding or liking. Its good to get it out. IRL its humiliating how badly this adventure is actually going. BUT um...I have hope it'll get better?

I would love to reply with some awesome wisdom quote, but I am in need of them as well. How about I'll join in on the jazz hands? (god, unemployment makes me jaded and cynical, forgive me :p)

For my part I've always been jaded and cynical but I sound like a cartoon character when I talk so no one takes me seriously. I also DO have an extraordinary amount of pep in me---that also contributes to it. When I was in high school my friends called me Happy Bunny. Here's a link if you're unfamiliar. http://cdn.stackward.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/comic-artists-in-real-life-9-588f14a5c748f__700.jpg
Its funny---I never met that guy and yet he knows me so well.

Hi Beanies! Quick question before I drag my sons off to their doom at the dentist - Is there a place where I can find info about Japanese dramas? I got hooked on them again by "Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu", and I want to find similar - or different - ones. Dramafever has a small list, Asianwiki does, as does Dramawiki, but I'd like something a bit more "user friendly". Anyone know a site where I can get info (not the dramas)?

I also posted this on my fan wall, I never can find replies when I post stuff here. THANK YOU! :)

i look for dramas on the weekly wrapup of j dramas on Tokyohive. they will list the dramas, their stars, the genre (drama, romance, school, medical) and viewing ratings.
; )
i look for my favorite actors/actresses' dramas to watch.

Thank you so much!!

go to mydramalist dot com ....amazing source of research info like this.

Jade Frost has just what you are looking for.

Ok fellow beanies I NEED HELP. I've been on the hunt for dramas where the female lead is strong and intelligent and solves/fights crimes or does lawyerly things. I'm running out and NEED MORE RECOMMENDATIONS.

Examples I've loved:
-Secret Forest (BAEEE <3)
-Angry Mom
-Pride and Prejudice
-Witch's Court
-I Remember You (ok granted she was overshadowed by the geeeenius seo in-guk but i still loved her)
-Queen of Mystery (underwhelming drama in general but she was cool)

Examples that sucked:
-Woman With a Suitcase (barf sexism)
-Suspicious Partner (frothy drama and lovely romance - sucks that they made her so dumb)

Please help! I gotta feed my need!

You're All Surrounded (honestly can't quite remember how badass they are but there are 2 policewomen in it)
I Can Hear Your Voice (top notch)
Police Unit 38 or Lookout (haven't seen them myself though)
Healer (reporter but ousting corruption with the gang. More verbally tough though since she can't fight)