Yoon Shi-yoon offered historical melodrama Grand Prince

It looks like TV Chosun’s new historical melodrama Grand Prince is on its way to finalizing its three main leads, with an offer currently out to Yoon Shi-yoon (The Best Hit) to join Jin Se-yeon (Flower in Prison) and Joo Sang-wook (Fantastic) in the high-stakes court drama about two royal brothers who fall in love with the same woman and end up in a bloody battle over her.

Every time I read descriptions for this drama, I’m convinced it’s trying to recreate the magic of Seven Day Queen, and my heart rebels, screaming, But it’s too soon! There can’t be another Seven Day Queen! Even the casting seems to support this, with Joo Sang-wook set to play a power-hungry Joseon grand prince who dreams of absolute control over his kingdom and is willing to trade his brother’s life to win his love.

If Yoon Shi-yoon signs on, he’d play a prince, but not the title character—that’s Joo Sang-wook—though I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the romantic hero, given that Joo Sang-wook’s grand prince doesn’t sound all that cuddly and lovable. Also, casting Yoon Shi-yoon as the second romantic lead in a drama would only cause everyone pain. And you wouldn’t do that to us, would you?

I’m not sure I want Yoon Shi-yoon to sign on, even though I would love to see him in another historical drama (or yunno, any drama), because TV Chosun productions often fly under the radar and have never made big waves in the ratings. On the upside, the series comes from a very solid production team: PD Kim Jung-min of Princess’s Man and Joseon Gunman and writer Jo Hyun-jung of Maids, so maybe they’ll pull out something beautiful and we’ll be happy to give them all our tears.

Grand Prince is being planned for a January 2018 broadcast.

Via News1

Tags: ,

Oh please Yoon Shi Yoon, don't sign on! He deserves better! And what with Jin Se Yeon and TV Chosen??

I want yoon si yoon on the small screen asap! But i'm not liking this drama, and i want him as the titular role. And i'm also not much aware of TV chosun. Huhu

Tbh, I want to see Yoon Shi-yoon in Sageuk.. And, we have Strong PD & Writer, thou.. But there's something lacking of this project.. Is it because because TV Chosun? Or Jin Se-yeon? Or because I prefer Joo Sang-wook in Rom-Com LMAO

Hmm. I kind of want Yoon Shi Yoon to pass this. I'm not a fan of Jin Se Yeon or Joo Sang Wook and the plot doesn't particularly interest me either :/ But I mean if he does take this...I suppose I'll have to give it a go.

nooo i was planning on skipping this but now YSY's casting is pulling me in T__T

Andwae!!!!!! Just no! Turn down, turn down, turn down *chanting* Just stay away from this project. It won't do you any good...You deserve better than that!

You lost me at Jin Se-yeon.

please don't accept this role shi yoonie

I have never heard about TV Chosun.. 😐

TV Chosun aired drama like Bride of The Century, The Greatest Marriage and Operation Proposal which I guess are quite known among drama viewers and some others. It has been several years they didn't produce any drama and focus on news, so maybe after seeing cables are doing well, they are planning to produce drama again.

I don’t think I’d be able to watch a drama where Yoon Shi Yoon DOESN’T get the girl...my poor fragile heart can’t handle his broken puppy face

No. I want another rom-com for him.

I'd love to Siyoonie in another sageuk, or any drama. But as much as I'd love to see him as a prince, I'm not too sure about this role and the female lead. 😐

This is like a combination of Seven Days Queen and The King Loves which I don't think I'll want to watch unless it really offer something really interesting.I think I enjoyed Maids and I found the premise is interesting - a noble lady who is forced to become a slave because her father is branded as a traitor, and what more tragic, it all happens during her wedding day. And this drama will be helmed by solid PD too.

I love Yoon Shi-yoon, and I want to see him in a different role and genre instead of romcoms, but I am not totally positive about these casts when you put them together. Jin Se-yeon is the weakest link here, although she has enough sageuk and period drama experiences.

Sounds more like Seven Day Queen to me. The King Loves was set in Goryeo and featured a prince and his best friend (a nobleman of royal blood) in the love triangle. So that made it more interesting to me. I honestly enjoyed TKL more than SDQ, even if the latter did everything right by my standards.

Maybe I'm just tired of reading 'two men fight over a girl' as a drama's premise. But this is Yoon Shi Yoon. Sigh.

I don't know, I'm sick with two men fighting over one girl too. There are plenty of girls they can choose, and I volunteer to be one lol. I know that TKL was set in Goryeo and both male leads are best friends, it's just this kind of love triangle plot has been repetitive and it's getting seriously boring.

But this is Yoon Shi-yoon...

Yes, this really sounds like QUEEN FOR SEVEN DAYS, just like YWJ's role there, The Grand Prince.... I wont mind if it's love triangle, just like 7dq, they did a different kind of twists.... it may sound cliche BUT in 7dq was surprisingly had very very good dimensions and plot that doesn't sound boring at all.... actually, on 7DQ, it's not love on the king, it's more of paranoia, so it only sounded as love triangle...... hope this drama, will offer a different side again...... I just love how they modify the common, love triangle mode...

I’m not sure I want YSY to star in a drama with Jin Se Yeon. Although Ryu Hwayoung will be there which is a definite plus. And he will be the second lead☹️. We all know how that goes.

Joo Sang Wook is the male lead, nothing against him, but I have an allergy to Joo Sang Wook’s dramas. I never seem to get past the first few episodes. His acting puts me to sleep ....zzzzzzz

I don't think it is Ryu Hwayoung. Based on what I read on few reports, it is her twin, Ryu Hyoyoung who has confirmed the role of second lead.

YSY with JSW made me freakingly excited until I've seen the other factors regarding the drama... i think the story is too mainstream, the TV network (sorry guys but Ive never heard Tv Chosun before), and the girl?!! Nope! but I want YSY in a new drama!! wahhhhh 😢😢😢

Yoon Shiyoon to join Jin Se... *lost interest*

NOOOOOO DON'T DO IT YOONNNNNN😫😫😫

I'm not a big fan of Yoon Shi-yoon, but I like him well enough, and I think he could do better. The production team seems solid enough but everything else feels kind of second rate?

Yoon Shiyoon needs a better project. He hasn't had a hit since King of Baking.

i agree with you... he has alot to offer as an actor... so versatile...i hope he gets another drama where he can be appreciated like his Baker King days...

Even though I miss him to the moon and back in Dreamland, can he PLEASE NOT DO THIS?!

*Dramaland*
But I welcome him to appear in my dreams too <3

I am getting flashbacks of Gaksital where Jin Se-yeon was stiff as a board and had no chemistry while 2 amazing actors battled it out for her love. Gaksital is my favorite drama but she was a huge black mark against the drama. I think I'll pass on this.

Abit too presumptious. The news from TV Chosun’s side mentioned they are courting several actors, and YSY is one of them. YSY’s side mentioned they have received the offer, amongst others, and YSY is still considering, ie. no decision yet. This sounds to me like TV Chosun is just fishing for news, riding on YSY’s name. Lets not get ahead of ourselves assuming he has already accepted. He hasnt.

I have a hard time believing that not one but TWO men can fall for someone as bland & bleeeeeeh as JSY. She sucks the life force out of every character she plays. Also, JSW excels in rom-coms. I say both actors run for the hills because I don't want to see either romance an actress as uncharismatic as JSY. JSY lovers, fight me. She's horrible. NEXT.

The problem is that he's being offered a second lead in a virtually unknown network. Has his star fallen?

This. I don't understand his logic either. Neither I got it when he took a second lead almost nonexistent role on 'Prime minister & I". Why does he keep taking these insignificant roles? He's definitely first lead material, so if this is not of the same caliber, I hope he rejects the offer. JSW and sageuk is a big no for me too. He doesn't match the genre imo.

I think most of his recent projects have flopped, that's why. Still, second lead in a TV Chosun drama is too much of a downgrade. A second lead role in a major network is still understandable. He can play second fiddle in a female centric drama as well. If he takes this one up, then perhaps his draw has waned so much that he's not expecting better offers to come.

Honestly, the standards of his projects fluctuate a lot. I recall him acting in a really low-profile webdrama too. His choice of roles and productions is just perplexing.

Please dont talk about something you do not know. I read the original articles on Naver and this news originated from TV Chosun side. They were the ones who first named YSY as the actor they are aiming for. Probably to ride on his fame and make some headlines so their drama will gain some interest. In response, the reporters approached YSY’s company and was informed this drama was amongst those that were offered, but YSY is still considering and hasnt made his decision. This looks to me like YSY’s side just wanted to be polite and allow them to ride on his fame, without outright rejecting. You cant cut all your ties in this field anyway.
YSY chose his dramas and projects based on roles he feels gives a positive message. The ‘low-profile webdrama’ you mentioned was even recently re-broadcasted during MBC strike, and gained higher ratings than when was it first broadcasted. You did not even watch the ‘low-profile webdrama’ and dont even know the role and storyline but you are judging it.

My baby deserves better. Next offer.

"Jin Se-yeon will play the daughter of a powerful official, who is righteous and compassionate and famous for her beauty. She’s a character who tries to keep the world at a distance, but ends up embroiled in a complex royal battle, not only between the men, but also the women of the court who are vying to become queen."

I read that and just giggled. Sure, she will 😂

No, I don't like the main girl's acting and her dramas. I won't be able to handle her acting and Yoon Shi Yoon's broken heart if he doesn't get the girl.

siyoon oppa please, please, please, please, please, please, don't sign on
we dont want to see you in another second role pleeeeeeeaaaaaseeeeee

I tried to ignore the errors in this translated article, but it just bothers me.

1. No one mention YSY is the second male lead. In fact, based on this article title, it’s directly translated as, “YSY, TV Chosun project ‘Grand Prince’ male lead”. Also, even by the synopsis it is clear Joo Sang Wook is playing an antagonist role as someone who harbors intention to ‘kill his own younger brother’. Why are u misleading ppl by saying YSY offered second male lead role? That is just your opinion and interpretation.

2. Jin Se Yeon is not THE character that tries to keep the world at a distance. That is Joo Sang Wook’s character. His character is actually drawn from Yi Bang Won, the ruthless King Taejong of Joseon, father of King Sejong. YSY’s character is drawn from King Jeongjong, brother of King Taejong. Although in history, Jeongjong is the older brother, but he is the kinder one, and he abdicated his position because he knows Taejong is more powerful politically. Grand Prince drama is inspired by the strife of princes during that time. How closely it will resemble that is a mystery to be discover when the drama goes on air.

What are you doing misleading ppl in your article? Bzzzz...