Woo Do-hwan up to become Joy’s Great Seducer
Aha, we have an update on the Untold Scandal remake/adaptation drama that was announced recently, and I like almost everything about it:
- Woo Do-hwan (Mad Dog, Rescue Me), 2017’s big breakout rising star, has now been offered the leading role, which would be his first leading turn. For someone who debuted in 2016, that’s a pretty swift rise, but I find him pretty damn electric onscreen so I’m excited about the prospect.
- That means Yeo Jin-gu (Reunited Worlds) has passed on the role, which I feel way better about, because Yeo Jin-gu seems a little too young while Woo Do-hwan has the perfect rakish energy for this kind of character.
- Red Velvet idol Joy (Liar and His Lover) is being courted to play the lead, and while I think her acting is still a bit green, she does have a very appropriate wide-eyed naivety (see: Liar) that makes her an ideal pick for the innocent target of seduction.
- The drama has changed its working title to The Great Seducer, which I find a hair less awkward than the two-part former title, Love Game: The Great Seduction.
The drama is based on the movie Untold Scandal, which was based on the famous French novel Les Liaisons dangereuses, in which a pair of bored and morally compromised aristocrats make a bet that a young man can’t seduce a virtuous woman. Untold Scandal placed the story in Joseon times and starred Bae Yong-joon as the young seducer, while Lee Mi-sook was the noblewoman who offered to sleep with him as prize if he could seduce the young widow played by Jeon Do-yeon. Naturally, complications arose when feelings developed.
The Great Seducer appears to reset the setting to contemporary times, which I’m a bit disappointed about, although this is a story that can work in any timeline (see: Cruel Intentions). Woo Do-hwan is up to play the dangerous and masculine lead character, Kwon Shi-hyun, who is the sole grandson heir in the JK Group conglomerate until he is suddenly cast out and thrown into a precarious situation.
Joy’s potential character is Choi Suji, whose mother is a hospital director and CEO who is seen as a role model for twentysomething women. She grew up in elegant circumstances and has an enviable background, though inside she harbors fears of being lonely. What unfolds is a “dangerous love game” with exciting twists as these characters are changed through love.
The Great Seducer will air on MBC in the first half of the new year.
Via IS Plus
- Untold Scandal adaptation offers Yeo Jin-gu lead role of dangerous chaebol
- MBC in talks to remake sageuk film Untold Scandal for television
- Mad Dog: Episode 1
- Woo Do-hwan may go from Rescue Me student to a scholar in Mad Dog
- Rescue Me: Episode 1
- The Liar and His Lover: Episode 1
- Lee Hyun-woo, Red Velvet’s Joy confirmed to play The Liar and His Lover