Jung Hae-in up to romance Sohn Ye-jin in Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food

This is a pairing I could get excited about. Sohn Ye-jin (Shark) has confirmed the starring role in PD Ahn Pan-seok’s new romance drama Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, which she was first offered last October, and now the production is courting up-and-comer Jung Hae-in (Smart Prison Living, While You Were Sleeping) to play her leading man. Welp, this noona would buy you all the food you ever asked for, so I’d call it perfect casting.

The new JTBC series comes from star PD Ahn Pan-seok of critically acclaimed dramas Heard It Through the Grapevine, Secret Love Affair, A Wife’s Credentials, and more, and writer Kim Eun. It’s described very loosely as a drama about two acquaintances who fall in love and start a “true romance,” which is not a lot to go on, but I would expect a sensitive, introspective melodrama from this director.

Sohn Ye-jin has signed on to play a thirtysomething store supervisor of a coffee corporation. Her life motto is to just like what you like, except in reality she lives a rather hollow life without having accomplished what she wants to in work or in love. Jung Hae-in is up to play her love interest, and no other details have been released yet for his character. The actor is thirty, but I expect him to play younger, what with his baby face and all.

I’m really excited for the possibility of Jung Hae-in’s first leading role, because he’s been great in everything I’ve seen him in and getting a lot of attention as a scene-stealer in his two most recent projects, Smart Prison Living (where he plays inmate Devil Yoo Dae-hwi) and While You Were Sleeping (where he played the adorable Batman Cop). His other projects include Night Light, Blood, Three Musketeers, the movie The Age of Blood, and one star-making cameo in The Lonely Shining Goblin (as the Baseball Oppa that made Goblin green with envy). He’s got dramatic chops and is just coming out of a breakout year as a supporting actor, so I’m expecting good things, especially opposite an actress like Sohn Ye-jin.

Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food is planning to air sometime this year on JTBC.

Via Sports Today

Tags: , ,

I'm not sure about Jung Hae In, so far from what I've seen of him, he's just another actor who smiles too much.

Captain Yoo almost never smiles in Smart Prison Life. he is really good in it. Snarky, cynical, outspoken, steadfast, a bit on the edge, and, khmm. often shirtless.

that last bit 👍👍👍

lol

cant wait to watch Smart prison life once it finishes, gonna marathon it.

did you ever watch it after all? it's on Netflix

i watched Smart prison life& Pretty noona who buys me food both on Netflix.

if he confirms, can we expect a lee jong suk,(Jae chan) or Hanyang or shin jaeha cameo. I really want to see them together again.

OOOOOHHHH!!!! <3 CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!! <3
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Its a good news, its time for him
I love it

As an avid fan of Sohn Ye Jin,Secret Love Affair and Heard It Through the Grapevine, for me this is the dream-team :-)

A pairing I would never have thought of, but now that it's been presented, I can totally get behind it!! They would be so cute!

Omgg!!!! That cute baseball oppa is our dear batman! I never noticed that, but man this hunk totally pulled off being 20 in goblin!! Its like he and jang nara are siblings or something... with timeless beauty!! Or are they monsters like in hwayugi😅

I love PD Ahn's choices. Son ye jin and Jung hae in are really perfect casting! love both of them. btw, Jung hae in always reminds me of Kim so hyun. idk why. lol

daebak

The first thing I got excited about is... SON YE JIN IS FINALLY BACK WITH A DRAMA!!! I am definitely excited about this pairing too! Hope there is an air date soon!

Since it hasn't started, I don't know 🙁😖😩
I hope I will find a way. And since subs are usually slow, I will start to search on Sunday, and see whether is already there for us here in Europe. DF is out of my list due to licensing. Viki doesn't have either. And so far it is not in my Netflix at all ...
Wish me success!

Just wondering if beanies have a thread for this going on anywhere? Doesn't seem like dramabeans will be recapping :( would just love to read your comments as I won't have time to follow the show live during this period Dx but always appreciate everyone's comments and insights!

I was thinking Beanies could come here to chat about this show. In the meantime, we've found that there are Live Recaps on the last 3 episodes done at another place:

There are comments there as well, so I'm not sure if anyone will come here to chat. But I'll check out this space as well.

Episode 4 has been aired now, can only understand little but for sure sparks are flying between Jin Ah & jH right from the beginning. It seldom happen in dramaland. Loving it so much.

Appreciating the way everyday lives is shown, the mundane is not overdramatised or boring.

The flirting is done so subtley, yet well that I want them to prolong it, it is like watching a peacock rare dance and you don't want it to end. And the actors (all of them) aren't lacking. Hope there are subs soon..

Are you me? I wasn't done with the flirting yet but I'll take what's coming.
There are underground subs floating around for eps 1 and 2. I can't post it here cause I'm already in jail lol.

Could be spoiler... BUT i need to say it out loud!

Didn't know JH getting mad end of ep2 could be a cliffhanger, the people in the house were not the only ones who're anxious, I'm anxious too..

Didn't know staking claim secretly under the table can be another cliffhanger, rewind, need to watch again..

Oh my gosh I love that scene. Totally feeling what everyone is feeling.

Need more hiccups scenes, that was so dang satisfying. Noona making the moves yay!

Have you seen eps 3 with subs yet? It's out if you haven't seen it.

Thank you for coming here to squee together! I'm just following from the short clips on drama milk as I don't have time to follow a drama these few months, but even those clips have got me swooning. And the preview for ep 5 omg *fans self*

i watched the "hand under the table + hiccups" scene at least 3 times !!! aaaddooooooorable !

Hi guys! I see that there's some discussion on here already for this drama! Awesome! I'm borderline obsessed with this drama and both @ally-le and @greenfields are getting into it as well. @ally-le suggested that we join the party! I'll tag some other beanies who may also be interested in discussing the drama.

I have a huge favour to ask though. Since we don't have recaps for this drama on DB could we please keep the discussions here as we would for regular recaps. That is to say, could we keep the conversation based on the subbed version of this drama and not on the RAW version and avoid posting spoilers? I really am borderline obsessed with this drama at the moment and I would hate to be spoiled. @growingbeautifully posted a link for the Live recaps and discussion you can find here. If that's too much to ask, could you tag your post as RAW or something like that at the beginning so beanies like myself will know to avoid it? Thanks!

@bammsie, @fatcat007, @missjb, @chakhanseupeu, @sartorius, @limechilli, @kethysk

Please tag anyone else you may know who may be interested in discussing the drama.

Adding @kiara

Adding @johnb

Adding @whoopeeyoo

Can we start with episode 1 first then move on to 2 etc so we are not all over the place?

That's an excellent idea! So maybe we can have subheadings for each episode? Let's see if that works.

Thank you so much for this! I'll join you laddies later 😘.

I'm a guy btw 😂

Ooops so sorry.

No worries. :)

How's that you think?

Perfect <3.

Me too! Loved Son Yejin and Hae-in! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

@juniper and @serendipity come join us.

Cool, cool, cool! ^^; Let's keep it here - I'll bookmark this and return here once I've caught up on the subbed episodes.

Thank you for inviting me. I will watch 4 episode tonight and join the discussion!

hello hello @hades !
I have fiiiiiiinally caved in and watched this beauty of a show! I was gonna wait for Netflix to get its sh*t together, but naaaaaaah !
I watched all 4 episodes last night and *swoon*
*double swoon!*

I'm all in and obsessed !

EPISODE 1 DISCUSSION

This is a great idea!!! Plus, the first episode is already subbed in most webs where it's available, although I must say that the visual quality doesn't look good. I have only checked the beginning. (No time). But I will catch up very soon!!!!
Have fun, beanies! 😁

Okay, I just reply to this comment to discuss, right? Sorry if I'm doing this wrong haha.

I just watched Episode 1. I already like it, and I'm ready to fall in love. Son Ye-jin's performance is already so lovely. Sometimes I have to remind myself to look at the whole scene, and not just her face.

One of my favorite things about Ahn Pan-seok dramas is the music. His production team always makes really interesting/eclectic choices and seems to have an interest (and decent taste) in western music. This show as no different in that regard. I was never expecting to hear a Tammy Wynette cover in a kdrama, especially in the same episode as 2NE1's I Am the Best. Both classics for veeeeeery different genres lol. (speaking of I Am the Best, @kiara, you told me about that dancing scene a while back, and I can now report that it was every bit as awesome as you led me to believe lol).

I'm going to try to get caught up on this show over the next week, so hopefully I'll be ready for eps 5-6 this weekend. Already so excited lol.

*next weekend. I got a little ahead of myself lol.

You did it exactly as intended! Welcome to the Pretty Noona discussion! I'm happy that you liked the first episode.

Looks like we were both taken with the music in this episode. This is my first Ahn Pan-seok so it's interesting to hear that he has a trend with his choice of music in his dramas. I found the juxtaposition between the Korean and Western songs, especially if you look at them as bookends, to be quite cool.

I loved the ending scene as well. Son Ye-jin looks like she would have no trouble when she hits the club. I can't quite say the same about myself though.

It's really rare that I like a female lead in a drama. For me, it's usually the case that the male lead carries the female lead on his back past the finish line. Thankfully, I really like Jin-ah as a character and Son Ye-jin in playing her. She really is beautiful, especially in the ending scene.

Hope you're able to catch up. Now that Netflix will be releasing subbed episodes every Friday, I think you'll be ok if you can catch up to episode 4 by then.

@hades
HeadsNo2 picked PD Ahn Pan-seok as one of DB's Top 10 PDs. She perfectly described him and his work. I couldn't have said it any better.
Maybe this will help understand his style and what to expect.

HeadsNo2: PD Ahn Pan-seok has a special knack for creating frames that are both beautiful and economic—and he specially tailors his style for every show, whether it’s in the cutthroat medical world of White Tower, or the warm lighting and intimacy in Secret Love Affair, or the starkly detached, almost sanitized look of End of the World. One might call him a “prestige” director whose dramas garner critical acclaim; his shows display unmatched artistry in every shot while infusing the frames with purpose and meaning. He knows when to withhold secrets from the audience and when to let them in, and sometimes his handle on emotions (and how to make us feel them) is so good it almost feels manipulative. Here’s hoping that he continues to be unafraid to take risks, having proven himself not only capable of showing intricate family relationships (A Wife’s Credentials, Heard It Through the Grapevine) but also able to experiment and create something harrowing and unforgettable (End of the World).

Credits: Heard It Through the Grapevine, Secret Love Affair, White Tower, End of the World, A Wife’s Credentials

I really miss HeadsNo2, like I’m crying inside at how beautiful and insightful this is.

@ally-le
Same here. I know that she would've recap this show if she was around.

I was so happy when she joined DB because she started recapping sageuks and heavier shows which I really like.
Here is hoping she'll come back soon.

I think its an accurate assessment given how much we've been given of both Jin-ah and Joon-hee. In the case of Joon-hee, I love that there's a lot of no need to talk scenes that are still quite expressive.

"His handle on emotions and making us feel them.."

Heads is so spot on here. The feeels is what draw me to the show first and that's very important to me.
If I don't feel a show no matter how good it is in other areas I'll eventually drop it.

Yeah, if you like this drama, I would really suggest checking some of his other stuff out! As Kiara has said, the texture of his work changes a lot to fit whatever concept he has in mind, so shows like The End of the World and especially White Tower have amazing ~cinematic OST's (for some reason TEOTW really reminds me of 70's Spielberg, not sure why entirely), Secret Love Affair's OST was almost entirely classical music, and A Wife's Credentials' OST was all about western pop music. It had Jane Birkin, The Byrds, and a cover of "Daydream Believer."

The other thing is, from a western perspective, I find Ahn Pan-seok's more sparing touch with soundtracking a lot more affecting/pleasing than the typical kdrama, which has to have music for every scene. There are some PD's that can spam music very well, but that was definitely one of the hardest things for me to get used to when I first started watching dramas.

Son Ye-jin is an amazing actress, maybe the best of her generation tbh. And I agree, she is very, very beautiful. The last drama I saw her in was from 2006, and she hasn't aged a day.

Going to watch another episode today :D :D

She is definitely the best of her generation and she is versatile so she has been getting a lot of love calls from film makers and PDs like Ahn.
Has this been a different PD she wouldn't have accepted the role. She said that she has always wanted to work with him 💖.
I knew she'd make room for this so I'm very happy.

Watch and don't forget to come back and share 🙂.

Are you currently watching season 6 of "The Americans?"

Yep! My two favorite characters on The Americans actually met for the first time, but they've only had like two scenes together so far lol. I'm pretty happy with this season so far, over all.

It always makes me so happy to see an actress as amazing as her work with the director she deserves. And you're right, she is so versatile. Not many actresses can ace both modern dramas and sageuk, comedy and high drama, etc. My dream now is that Gong Hyo-jin will work with him next haha. They would be a match made in heaven imo.

I'm working up to episode 3 now! I'll be back to talk more when I'm all caught up this weekend!

Are you watching anything besides Pretty Noona?

@juniper
I've been pretty busy lately which is a good thing.
I was watching "My Ajusshi" but fell behind.
I only have time for "Noona" and some classic romance films from the 40s-80s while I'm in a romance mood.
I started with "Casablanca" thanks to Jin-ah's dad lol. He was quoting a famous line from the film in eps 2 so I checked it out and love it.
I got a lot of recommendations from beanies so I have a long list of classics to watch.
I'll move on to eps 2 and 3 soon. I kind of like it slow.

@kiara I usually fall behind My Ajusshi because it so long and hard to watch sometimes, but boy do I love it. It's sooo good right now.

I'm so glad you are heeeeere!
I have so much to talk about but I don't know where to begin.
Since you started with the music I'll follow along.

I have both songs "Stand By Your Man" and "Save the Last Dance" on my wall with the history behind it. (watching everything sageuk style haha).
I instantly recognized them because they were some of my mother's favorites and she'd played it every time we went on a loooong road trip so I'd hear it 10x there and back lol.
I didn't like it back then but I've learned to appreciate it now. She had a rough life and music was one of the things that helped her deal with all that pain.

I think they are both great choices. Kind of a his and her song. They are not only moving but they can identify with the lyrics.
Why English songs? Well PD Ahn was an English major and maybe he wants a touch of old Hollywood classic romance.
Something timeless.
(Dare I say that Bruce Willis' version of "Save The Last Dance" is pretty sexy? It took me a while to figure out that he was the one singing it.)

Anyway, I've never heard of 2NE1 before but I am now a fan. I get a lot of cleaning done with their songs playing on my cell phone in a glass lol.
I like the song a lot and Noona is definitely the best!

I don't know if you've listened to Rachael Yamagata's music before but she is the one singing the OST. Beautiful and dreamy!

I had no clue who Rachel Yamagata was before hearing her here. She has a beautiful voice. The same goes for 2NE1. "I Am the Best" is an awesome track. I love it. Together with that ending scene, it's gone down as a favourite of mine.

PD Ahn being an English major explain a lot.

It's amazing how songs can bring us back to a place in time and so vividly at that.

I did another post when I just talked about stuff that I liked in this episode. Like you, there was so much to love that I just decided to just write it out in point form. That usually helps.

I love indie music and I was searching for one of the ost from "Age of Youth," Off Beat sung by Clara C and one of Rachel's songs came up "Be Be Your Love" and the rest was history.
So I have my indie fix from Colbie Caillat, Clara C and Rachael Yamagata.

I love her voice, sometimes she sounds a lot like Sarah McLachlan whom I love also.

I love the song, lyrics and all. I wonder if she wrote it herself for the show.

Me toooooo! I'm so excited for this show!! I'm going to watch another episode today, and then get the other two in before next weekend so we can discuss everything haha. I am not going to flake out this time!

I never knew PD Ahn was an English major! I will never make fun of them again lol (though I suppose it's a bit different being an English major in Korea as opposed to the States haha.)

I really like the idea of looking at them as his and her songs! I hadn't thought of that, but as I'm replaying the episode in my head, I can see it.

Yeah, as I've grown up I've decided that there's no bad genre of music, because there's always something about it I can listen to and appreciate. It took me a long time to figure out that I just don't like the modern stuff, but classic country is awesome. (Tammy Wynette is great, but Patsy Cline is my favorite <3). Kpop is another example lol. I'm not really interested in the fan culture surrounding idols (or idols themselves), but a lot of it is pretty amazing pop music. 2NE1, f(x), The Wonder Girls, Shinee, Girls' Generation...I listen to their stuff lol.

I need to check Rachael Yamagata out now!

And you're right, noona is most definitely the best!! And so is Son Ye-jin <3333

Nothing beats the original right? The promo was basically all Carla Bruni but the end of eps 1, it was Tammy Wynette singing.

I've learnt my lesson not to look down on K-pop just because most looks like a group of young teens singing about something they don't quite understand but Kyuhyun and IU changed all that.

The first thing that stood out to me and helped keep my interest throughout the episode was the music. The first 2 minutes of this drama were a bit weird to be honest. It didn’t feel like anything special at all. That all changed at about the 00:02:02 mark when Jin-ah is in the department store putting together an outfit to meet up with her thankfully soon to be ex-boyfriend. The drums, the Wo or Oo (or whatever they were singing), and the guys voice just hit me! It immediately reminded me of a 80s-90s American romance movie. Does anybody know the name of this song or track by the way? I swear I’ve heard it before. Then at 00:04:41 “Save the Last Dance For Me” kicked in and I was going crazy with excitement. Waves of 80s-90s nostalgia washed over me. I seriously forgot that Bruce Willis could sing. At 00:51:50, “Stand By Your Man” begins to play in what could have been one of the longest rides for our two leads.

The American-esque music wasn’t limited to music with vocals, but also some pretty awesome instrumental stuff as well. At around 00:17:09, the harmonica plays and is soon followed by the piano riff, and I was asking myself if I was being transported to a different country during a different time.

For as awesome as the 80s-90s nostalgia was, there were times when it seemed like the music was out of place in both song choice and editing. At 01:08:55 Jin-ah and Joon-hee are walking along a busy main road/street and the editors lower the volume on the song and have a good bit of volume on the ambient sound. It sounded more than a bit cacophonous which is quite sad because ambient sound done well can add a real richness and immersive feeling to a drama.

Recently, I’ve been quite surprised that there have been more than a few dramas that have used Western songs with English lyrics. I actually like that they’re doing this because I’m able to connect with the drama a bit more. If I know the English lyrics, I’m able to connect with the beat and the lyrics, and the scene. However I’ve found that since I know the English lyrics here, the use of the songs tends to be a bit WTF at times because I don’t get how they apply to the scene. Do we really need to hear “Save the Last Dance” in so many disparate scenes. On the other hand, if it’s a Korean song, then I’m only going to be able to connect with the beat. Funny enough, the last song completely shreds that theory as it’s not only my favourite song but also my favourite scene of the entire episode.

The last song at 01:17:40, 2NE1’s I Am the Best stands in contrast to the other songs as not only is it Korean and more modern, but the style/genre is completely different from what came before it. Seeing Jin-ah jam to the music was one of my favourite parts of the entire episode because not only did it seem like she was having fun, but her look overall was quite sexy and youthful. There is an odd but interesting juxtaposition between the youthful Korean side and the noona Western side—if...

...that makes any sense.

Dang it! I was off by 4 words. lol.

I understand what you’re saying about the music having that 80’s romance feel, like every John Cusak movie I’ve ever seen. And I also agree with the musical timing being off sometimes, but all and all, I really appreciate how the music enhances the scenes. I didn’t think this first episode was as strong as it could have been, and this show didn’t really get to me until ep 3. However, if you took all those workplace misogyny scenes out, I might have been hooked at episode one, because that bicycle scene would have been the only scene I would have remembered.

The first time I watched this without subs, it totally gave me the 80s-90s feel of the good ol hollywood romcom movies. Love it!! Thanks for pointing this discussion out to me. I am tagging @michykdrama And @noelle Who are also watching this.

Glad you’re here! I feel like a broken record mentioning all these discussion posts to people, and hopefully if you see me do it again, you won’t get too annoyed!

This is awesome!
You know, I've heard the instrumental music before and I was going to look for it but I don't know how because it has no lyrics lol.

The song choices are great but after eps 1 I thought it's going to be overplayed and some scenes did not need it.

So I tried to Shazam them, and I got completely wrong results. Sigh. I hope a beanie can help us eventually.

Completely agree with you about the songs being overplayed and and oddly placed at times.

Things I appreciated in this episode:
1. The music.
2. The cinematography isn’t stellar in this first episode but it manages to capture/have a sense of realism to it. One of the scenes that stands out to me most is when the BFFs are leaving Kyung-sun’s shop after having some drinks and Joon-hee takes her home. Too bad the music doesn’t always do the cinematography justice though.
3. All the scenes involving a traffic cone. 😂
4. There are very real world reasons why you shouldn’t upload pics, especially those with timestamp and location that show what you’re doing at any given moment. With a little detective work, people can find you easily.
5. The BFFs seem to be as thick as thieves.
6. Poor Joon-hee has clearly had a thing for his noona for some time now. Awe.

Things I didn’t like so much:
1. Lee Gyu-min (Jin-ah's ex) is a total slimeball. He cheats on his girlfriend, dumps her, get’s dumped by the “mistress," and then wants to be taken back by his ex. That's super good logic working for you.
2. What is it with workplace sexual harassment? What is it with bosses who embarrass those under them and treat them like drones/crap? What is it with coworkers who have no trouble throwing their colleagues under the bus to save their own hides?! Argh, Mr. Nam is a total POS. He would let his subordinate spend their own money to cover up his mistake! All of those scenes had me fuming because all of those scenes are all too real. Where’s the change we deserve 2018?!

lol the traffic cone was pure gold. First using it as a microphone, and then putting it on her head when she was bowing to her parents. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

And yeah, the workplace harrassment really stood out to me as well. There's usually an element of that in workplace kdramas (bosses forcing underlings to drink with them, treating them like crap, etc), but I don't think I've ever seen the abuse so gendered before. My heart was in my throat the whole scene where they were drinking at the BBQ place. It was like I was watching Mad Men, almost.

The one thing I really did appreciate was that they actually treated her boss telling her she should get married soon as if he were being creepy and invasive. Usually these shows want to act like it's a cute/fatherly show of concern for men to say stuff like that, so it was really refreshing to see some reality here.

Ugh, 2018.

I thought the cone scene was pretty hilarious too. Son Ye-jin is love!
I've read that she drank before those scenes because she wanted to make it real.

Really? That's cool. I guess it would really help to act it out more naturally. The BTS for that must be hilarious.

@hades
I think everyone is pretty much going the extra mile here and it makes me appreciate it even more.

Did you get to watch the behind the scene clips?
Here is one with her drinking before the kiss scene. I laughed when PD Ahn asked for 3 beers. One for Ye-jin, Hae-in and one for him.

Hae-in: Do I kiss like this?
PD Ahn: Guys don't do it now.
😁

I'll do my best not to repeat what you already have on your list.
For me, there is no scene without a purpose. They are all important to me.(Forgive the terrible English. It’s still a 3rd language for me).

7. The very first scene. The way Jin-ah conduct herself. Firm but fair and sympathetic with great people skills. I like the way she talks to that one employee about wearing heels without putting her down. (Love her already).
Jin-ah's appearance and the way she dress. Beautiful without making an effort. I can totally see why a younger guy would find her desirable. Status: Dating and probably from a working class family. In between the chaebols and middle class.

8. Joon Hee's apartment and the camera tour. No words, just his reaction to his well decorated bachelor pad , books on shelf (tech guy), a peek at his current family (just a pic of him and his doting sister) and feels for the future.
Note on the picture “Report back as soon as you see it or you are dead”, typical sibling love.

9. Joon Hee’s first day at work. “Welcome to Hell” and the nerf gun fight. (Boys will be boys). A less dense working environment than Jin-ah’s.
(Nerf gun party for adults is pretty fun. My fav looks like the one JH was using. A CS 18 rapid blaster.) Site effects from dating a younger guy lol.

10. I love the bicycle scene even though I’ve seen it a hundred times. “While you were Sleeping”reference could be interpreted in many ways. A nod to Hae-in’s previous drama or just a well timed joke.
I think she has been unaware of his feelings for a long time and he probably came back to Korea for her just like when he rode pass her and then turned around and came back.
Jin-ah lights up like a Christmas tree and she clearly enjoys his company.

11. Appa (Jin-ah’s dad) staying up drinking soju. Seems to like time alone from wife and waiting up for Jin-ah. They seems to have a closer relationship than her mother.
(to be continue.....)

Your English might be better than mine! Nothing to worry about there.

7. I love Jin-ah's personality. Her character has a lot of nuance to it. She has been shown to be kind, nurturing, understanding, compassionate, frustrated, angry, sad, distraught, bitter, loving, passionate, and sexy just to name a few. Not that many characters in drama land have as much range in their personality as Jin-ah does and I think that's what makes me love her so much.

I was going to talk about her manner of dress here, but I think I'll leave that for episode 3/4.

8. I don't think I've seen characters be chased around in fun as much as this drama. Very relatable.

9. I respect your knowledge when it comes to Nerf guns. :)

11. Appa staying up late to drink soju had be laughing a bit. You knew he didn't want his wife to know. It was a very telling scene before we actually really met the mother.

You are too kind @hades. There is no way mine is better. I should be studying harder.

I'm still stuck here at eps 1. I'm not ready to move on even if I've seen the other episodes.

7. I love our girl and I can easily sympathize with her. There is so much good in her and there people like her that exist in this world.
8. Hae-in's laugh, he was so into it.
9. Lol it's embarrassing.
11. Appa is cool. I hope he'll be Jin-ah's side.

@kiara. Also respecting your Nerf gun knowledge, as all mine comes from have a son who is obsessed and I find those Nerf bullets everywhere (most recently in my make up drawer)! I think we have at least 10 different ones. The automatic one that runs on batteries is the best though. We're in the US, so automatic weapons are all the rage, even in Nerf (ok, not really funny). But if you're interested for your next dongsaeng romance: https://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Strike-Elite-HyperFire-Blaster/dp/B01BH928LQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523827730&sr=8-1&keywords=automatic+nerf+gun

Haha... it's kind of embarrassing.
I feel like a kid when I hangout with younger guys but I'm competitive as heck whether it's playing video games or getting into a nerf gun fight. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't beat them.

Holy crap @ally-le that's the father of all nerf guns lol.

Love/Hate: I don't necessarily hate what's unpleasants because there is a purpose and I find it rather interesting. I think I've learnt more from the negatives (shoot me).

3. The breakup date:
Hate: that she had to question her value based on her social status, how much money she comes from, her appearance, age etc.

4. I hate Gyu-min's coward way of using word play to put the blame on Jin-ah. I'm glad she calls him out on it.
*Konjac*: I learnt a new Korean slang. (Thanks to @acaca's explanation.)
Konjac is a diet food item that was in popular in Korea because its low in calories and has noodle forms to eat instead of actual pasta/noodle dishes(google search konjac noodles as reference). But it doesn’t have a lot of flavor and its hard to get flavor/seasoning to stick on the noodles hence the “boring/lacking flavor” that the stupid boyfriend is talking about.

How is Son YeJin konjac????? Stupid boyfriend. So ungrateful. Ughhh 😉

5. Mom doting on her son and her expectations from her daughter.
I'm going to call her a Joseon mother. Everything she says and do reminds of how twisted and how difficult it has been to break away from the old Confucian values.

History: "Korean society placed utmost importance on hierarchy between classes, older and younger people, emphasized family values, the keeping of order and harmony and the inferior social status of women. Rituals became very important, ceremonies, paying respect to one's ancestors and the need for lifelong learning were valued. Neo-Confucians considered hard work, purity, politeness and refraining from improper behaviour as desirable and valuable human qualities. They could be regarded as prudish, since showing passionate emotions was something noble people were expected to avoid. It was important that everyone knew their standings in society and behaved accordingly. The Korean language reflects this notion even today, by the use of honorifics, which signal whether the speaker addresses a senior person or someone of a higher social standing." cc wikipedia.

(I think this is just the first 5-10mins of the first episode. To be continue......).

4. I knew it! Well, more like I didn't because the first time I heard them say it, I swore they said cognac. So I thought to myself, why would being compared to cognac be a bad thing? 😂 Then I saw Kyung-sun pick up what I swore was Konnyaku! That's the Japanese version of Konjac. Thanks for providing the info on it. And yes, Gyu-min is a wretch! Jin-ah is anything but bland. Maybe because he is so bland, he couldn't bring out the amazing personality she has when she was around him!

5. Yeah. We had discussions about the mom further down. I didn't like her too much either, but @spazmo and @ally-le gave me some valuable insight. Add that to yours as well and I'm slightly more understanding of mom.

5. Mom reminds of those Joseon mothers and it kills me because it has been over 100+ yrs since then but that strict values and beliefs is still very much alive in this drama.

A son's birth was celebrated. A daughter was raised to marry up for the family's welfare (status, reputation etc.)

Most likely her mom married her dad for the same reason and that cycle continues.

I think she also wants Jin-ah to get married so she doesn't have to be ridicule as an old maid, undesirable and all although she is very beautiful.

I believe in reality more and more women now prefer to stay single.
(from 2yrs ago).

@sighciara Just watching Pretty Noona now. Thanks for the notes of Korean culture.

there is sooooo much to ready and like about the comments here !!!
I scanned through and yes, the 1st few minutes didn't engage me very much (I tried once, left it for a few days and it's only yesterday that I continued) but what deeefinitely got me hooked was that Office Dancing at the end:

EPISODE 2 DISCUSSION

Thanks for setting up the threads @hades

It took me some time to warm up to the show. It could have been that I've been in a drama slump and was still being 'slumpish' or I may have watched too many bits of the first 2 episodes before getting the subbed full episode. Also there had been disconnections from the server more than once and I was about to give up on getting to watch Ep 2.

However I've finally started to like it from the end of Ep 2. When Jin Ah hit Kyung Min in front of her parents, I got invested in the show.

Music wise - while I like the songs generally, I'm feeling a surfeit of hearing 'Save the Last Dance for Me' and 'Stand by Your Man'. They both have a medium to slow beat and are played so often that find them too repetitive. I can still hear them in my head even now!!! What I do like about them is that the first song is from the point of view of the guy and the second is from that of the girl. So it balances out.

However, I've been spoilt by shows like Goblin or Just Between Lovers that had some 7+ - 15+ OSTs (ultimately) that did not sound repetitive.

Cinematography - Some scenes like those in the car were too dark. It would have been nice to see the expressions more clearly. I also found the colours muted with a beige or yellow tone that made them look dull instead of vibrant. A bit unusual for a romantic show... or maybe it's going for a more slice-of-life feel?

What I liked: The scenes have started to set the obvious conflict - the issue of the age difference, and to bring on the irony . Jin Ah's brother couldn't imagine Joon Hee dating a 35-year old, as it would be like dating Jin Ah. I loved Joon Hee's expression at this.

In addition there is the chat of the 3 colleagues, saying that even a year's difference in age was considered great.

Ep 3, I saw was even better, so I'm hoping to wave goodbye to the drama slump at least for a few more weeks!! 😜

I took me a while to get on board of Pretty Noona, but it was the end of episode 2 that sealed it for me - the moment when Jin Ah hit Kyung Min and it finally clicked with the mom of what's going on. It was that moment I realised how much I enjoy it, and how satisfying it was to finally see Jin Ah taking petty revenge over him.

And I'm enjoying all the little jealousy going around. Oh it hurts so much seeing how both of them react to feeling insecure around each other, and the little pull and push of flirtations going around was done so realistically I feel like it gets to me as well.

But it was also at the end of episode 2 that I realised this might be why a lot of people pull off from the drama. The plot growth goes by a bit too fast, as usually the expected relationship would happen by ep 7-8 in a kdrama (and we're only at episode 2 and both leads feel like they're totally ready to be in a relationship). But then, thinking about this exact thing made me realised that this drama is not just about people falling in love and having an ever-after. It's about the whole process of being in a relationship - the early stages, the dating life, and perhaps the realistic expectations and societal influences of what makes a relationship works, and what doesn't. For one, at episode 2, this show isn't shy from hinting the complications that are about to come if both Jin Ah and Joon Hee are in a relationship. And how much both of them are aware of that fact as well.

I don't think I've ever seen this done remotely well up until now. Usually it's exaggerated, like they're 5 year olds. Here they got the age right. It's 8 yrs old! But seriously though, they really never get the nuance right with this. That also has a lot to do with the pacing I suspect.

This style of relationship drama is probably my biggest catnip. I'm honestly fed up dramas that just show the beginnings of a relationship. There's so much more to love that just that. I want to see the long haul relationship. I think that's why I gravitate to some C-Dramas like this.

Found the discussion thread. :)
Since I'be already moved on to ep 3, I'll agree with @growingbeautifully - the scene at the end with the family, Joon Hee and Kyu Min sealed the deal for me. I'm in.

Why do we have team dinners? The aim is to increase employee devotion and build teamwork. You should know better. I consider those who fail to be team players very inconsiderate. Where’s your sense of camaraderie? Think about it. We don’t tolerate sexual discrimination and it’s not like anybody forces you to drink. We just get along as equal human beings. What’s wrong with you people? Dismissed!

--Gong Cheol-goo

Ok. Let’s go through this piece by piece.

Ok, I agree with this. However, I fail to see how you, as a senior manager, are achieving this by getting drunk and sexually harassing your employees. You make your teammates/coworkers constantly in fear and uncomfortable. This has a seriously negative impact on getting them to corporate with and trust you.

You should know better.
Yes, you should know better. I am tempted to say that the employees should also know better and file complaints against this vile man. However, if it’s institutionalized, I can see why they wouldn’t even bother. Change has to happen from somewhere though. I pretty sure that while people knew that sexual harassment existed in the workplace in America, not that many people had any idea about how rampant it was and still is.

I consider those who fail to be team players very inconsiderate.
See #2. And that means that you’re inconsiderate as well.

Where’s your sense of camaraderie
See #2.

I could be wrong, but as far as I understand it, sexual harassment is, or at the very least can constitute, sexual discrimination. Take that point aside. Are you saying that because you don’t get to discriminate against women you get to treat them however you want and they should be lucky that they have a job. Sorry, I really shouldn’t put words in your mouth.

We all know that when your boss asks you to drink, you drink. It’s a very difficult thing to decline. I’ve watched enough dramas to know this, sir!

We just get along as equal human beings.
The only problem is that you clearly do not see them as being equal to you. In management terms, they are not equal to you because you hold power over them and you abuse that power.

What's wrong with you people!?
Oftentimes, people who are racist, homophobic, sexist etc., see the problem residing with others and not with themselves.

Dismissed!
Yes sir. I hope you get dismissed very soon!

What makes sexual harassment so pernicious is because it often comes from people who have power over others, e.g. this troglodyte. Someone’s boss often has the power to among other things: (make recommendations) to fire, give a pay raise or promotion, and give a recommendation. Employees are often unwilling to rail against sexual harassment because: it is...

...institutionalized and nothing/not enough would be done; they may be made into a scapegoat; they are made to feel like they are the problem.

I think this tradition is hard to break in Korea. It's because the victim used to lack in power compare to the perpetrator

The male bosses don't think that they are doing anything wrong.
At least in the Joseon era, they had professional entertainers to serve them in the gibang.

Random Rambling (1/2)

1. It seems like the tale of workplace sexual harassment never ends.

2. I laughed my ass off when Kyung-sun remarked that Joon-hee was wasting rent money and should move in with her. Don’t kill your brother’s chances with the girl. Come on.

3. Blasting your subordinates in front of their coworkers should be a big no, no. I shudder to ask if this actually happens and is condoned irl in Korean companies.

4. The work related drama in this episode had be thinking about My Ajusshi a bit. At first I really wanted Jin-ah to quit and start up her own company. I then remembered something Dong-hoon said when his wife wanted him to quit and start his own company. He said something to the effect that there was greater job security working for someone compared to trying to open your own business. There’s no guarantee that you would succeed and you may be worse off for having tried. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that she should try. I’m saying that culture can make it that much more difficult to do so.

5. I really don’t know how Jin-ah ex has the balls to want to get back together with her. In hindsight, I completely agree with Joon-hee. She was way too soft on telling Gyu-min it was over and he should go take a hike. I love how Joon-hee was frustrated with this whole situation though.

6. Gyu-min thinking that Jin-ah cheated on him was projection of the highest order. That is to say that because he cheated, since she has another man that’s around her that he does not know, there is no reason to not believe that she cheated as well. Gyu-min really is despicable.

1. My husband has threatened to stop watching this drama if women continue to be assaulted verbally, physically, or emotionally, in the workplace or otherwise. It bothers him more than it does me as he sees the fall-out in real life. I’m all for showing the realities, but at what point does it become excessive and condoning, instead of just shedding some light on the situation? It’s uncomfortable still, and I hope there is some resolution. I think Jin-ha with the help of Joon-hee will be able to get some change to occur in that workplace (also with the help of that senior woman manager—she’s a favorite of mine too). I’m so glad he has a righteous temper and not afraid to use it. He would go to war and die for those he loves. I love that because I have one of those in my corner as well. Caveat here: I just referred to that senior female manager, and can you imagine what hell she went through to get where she is? She is smashing glass ceilings and is outsmarting her counterparts! Jin-ah is lucky to have here there. And maybe she reminds that executive of herself as a younger manager as well. I hope there’s a more prominent story there about this.

1. Your husband is kinda awesome. I put the kinda in there because he can't stop watching the show!

2. I absolutely hate when managers or anyone with power over their employees abuse their power irl especially when it comes to situations that can cause humiliation and embarrassment.

3. Sometimes we need to feel uncomfortable to properly acknowledge that there is a problem so that we can hopefully fix it. A slap on the wrist often does little compare to a serious condemnation. Having said that, yes, there can be a point when it gets excessive.

4. Your Jin-ah Joon-hee power couple idea just made my day. I would love to see this happen.

can you imagine what hell she went through to get where she is?

5. IKR

7. I wouldn't go saluting her so quickly as her actions might not be entirely altruistic. Maybe she realizes that CEO-nim likes her and wants to get aboard that train. In a drama like this, nobody does something for nothing.

Ahh so this is where people are camping out!! I was waiting for Netflix to release the drama before tuning in. I'm still pretty far behind so won't be able to join you all on the squeefest, sadly. I fell in love with it from the very first episode though - brought out so many feels after what seems like a long time! Just Between Lovers was the last drama (to bring out the feels) for me, I believe.

I would be lying if I said the workplace sexual harassment bothered me as much as other viewers. I don't like it, but it's soooo common place in KDramas that I didn't find its depiction overly shocking and glaring... this makes me sad, because it also means I'm a bit blazé, like I EXPECTED this misbehaviour... for shame...

In agreement with EVERYONE though, I haaaaate the way these men just randomly touch the women in the office, and berate them, constantly throwing comments about their breasts ("Missiles!!!" with a forced love shot) or their private lives. it's sooooo wrong and sexist and patronizing and AAAAH!! gross!

EPISODE 3 DISCUSSION

this was my SQUEE episode!

Ep 3 amused me. I like how Kyung Min's ineptitude and strange stupidity (or lack of pride?) is underlined by his spectacles that can't stay on his face. He cannot even manage his glasses, how will he manage in any relationship.

The picture quality is still too dark for quite a number of scenes. I find this strange because so many other night scenes in other shows have perfectly adequate lighting (with reflectors?). I wonder if this dark 'look' to scenes is deliberate. Maybe the lighting will increase to signal a lift in mood?

What I felt was good:
- they kept the irritating misunderstandings to less than an episode and got the OTP on the same page by the end of the episode.
- we get some backstory of Kyung Sun and Joon Hee, that explains even more why it will seem so 'crazy' for Jin Ah and Joon Hee to get together.

What I really enjoyed:
- The delicious ironies and shades of difficulties to come: Kyung Sun promises to be an evil sister-in-law, unknowingly informing the very person who would be her sister-in-law. And Jin Ah has to pretend to agree that she would be watching from the sidelines instead of being the main party in the situation.
- the superb irony and bitter humour that Kyung Sun thinks Kyung Min is dumb for thinking there's something between Joon Hee and Jin Ah, but the greatest joke is that although KM is wrong in so many things, he's right about this!
- How Kyung Sun's 2 dreams - one of getting Joon Hee happily in relationship and the other of marrying JIn Ah off to a good man. Little does she know that the 2 dreams could be merged into 1 with the brother in front of her and her best friend together.

- I like that JH takes action like running off to confront JA over her going to his house and that she could not lie to him for long. And that he continued with her so that they ended up on an unexpected date, that continued with playing online.
- I like that the red umbrella gets to be a icon/symbol for their relationship, so the title "Something in the Rain" starts to take on greater significance. So many kdramas feature umbrellas and rain, but not many of them show us if there is more than the obvious meaning.
- Funny how the couple making out in the front seat was more interesting than the movie and got Joon Hee literally hot under the collar. The joke was that they felt that they had been watching two different movies, which in a sense they might have been.
Nice:
- Transition from Jin Ah skipping over to Joon Hee buying popcorn to the scene of the girl in the movie running was interesting.
- There was a nice build up in tension, from the talk about the right timing between men and women. Then the convo of the guys in front of JIn Ah and Se Yong that Joon Hee was considered a player and therefore not the type that Jin Ah would like. Then the threat of Se Yong's imminent 'attack' on JH that galvanised JA into action.

And the fantastic contrast between JH's shocked expression and hiccups and JA's stony, determined expression, got me rolling on the floor. Much squee!! 😆

So much realism in this show it makes my head spins in circle.

- I like how we get to see the different stages and the growth of their relationship every time he drops her off.
He goes from watching her take the elevator to blocking the security panel so she can't go inside yet. Then, he proceed to indirectly ask her out.
-the small and simple things that bind them, the red umbrella. I think that was the first time Jin-ah felt something more than just brotherly/friends for Joon Hee. Instead of getting a cap, she was the one who wanted to keep walking.
-there is something about watching two people share that kind of passion (kissing). It can be awkward and sometimes it makes some do funny things like Jin-ah drinking his soda without noticing it.
I laughed at their comments on the movie that they didn't even pay much attention to.
- I love the talk on timing between man and woman and loving passionately foreshadowing their own relationship in the very near future.
- they could've hold hands in the dark theatre but I'm glad it was saved for the restaurant. It's more fitting with the whole conversation and all.

Thanks for sharing! I'm smiling from ear to ear while replying to your comments.

the fantastic contrast between JH's shocked expression and hiccups and JA's stony, determined expression @growingbeautifully

that was a "I'm a grown woman and I know what I want" moment and I looooved it !!!

While I love that Kyung-sun thinks it impossible that Jin-ah and Joon-hee would get together and the thought doesn't even cross her mind, I think it should be understood that at this point in the drama there is nothing going on between our OTP. Sure they have feelings for each other, but neither had confirmed anything with the other yet. It's only until the end of the episode that we get the beginning of this. In Gyu-min's (Jin-ah's ex) case it was a combination of him believing what he was sold and jumping to conclusions. Either way, it was easy for him to believe that our OTP had already started a relationship because he was projecting big time. If I cheated, Jin-ah must have cheated as well.

I loved how Kyung-sun talks to both her brother and her best friend about what she wants for them. Ohhh, I can't wait to see how everything plays out when she finds out.

Maybe as a man Gyu-min could see and sense it when another man loves his woman.
The way Joon Hee gets angry and protective over Jin-ah makes it so obvious.

Ep 3 was my "hook" episode, that one where you make the conscious decision to make time for a drama no matter the cost. So, here I am. I LOVED this episode, for all the reasons @growingbeautifully outlined above, much better than I could have. But it was this conversation which I had with @kdramaswimmer that made me realize how much I actually liked Jin-ah and her "galvanized" decision to pursue Joon-hee. And the "tension" that growingbeautifully mentioned above, I also elaborated on, which made it a perfect metaphor of "something else" a man and woman would share together, and hopefully, sooner with these two rather than later. http://www.dramabeans.com/members/kdramaswimmer/activity/440654/#acomment-441383

*looks at Pretty Noona*

*looks at Real Life and how little time I have lately*

*starts crying*

You guys need to stop making this sound so good, every time I glance at these posts my resolve weakens. Should I say “To hell with sleep!”? But I love sleep! It’s not even the time it will take to watch the show itself, but the knowledge that I’m sure I will want to spend time discussing it here...

What's sleep, Mindy? I've had less of that in the recent past than I've had when my kids were newborns. But I don't regret it, that's what coffee is for, and I know your are an addict there!

I feel you. I have so little time to even be on Dramabeans lately (where I used to frequent like everyday!), let alone writing lengthy posts, but here I am, waking up very early in the morning, stealing time to read this thread and reply to some, before running around later to catch my flight.

Thank you @ally-le for the link to this, as I wouldn't be aware of this if it's not you posting the link on What We're Watching post!

with only 4 subbed episodes out, I say - save yourself. although I admit the first thing I did when I logged in after a long break was check your fanwall to see whether it's worth watching lol!

You know what makes me feel really good? When I work super hard for a long period of time and I get to sneak in a treat for myself. Could you imagine how much better this already fantastic drama would be if you snuck it in!?

P.S. I'll be a responsible adult and say school always comes first.

P.P.S. I'm not a responsible adult so yeah, disregard the P.S.

@ally-le @alert @vivanesca @hades Hmmm, I will likely have time tonight. After catching up with Waikiki, I will hopefully still have time to watch the first episode! If I do, I will write my comments here and/or on my fanwall. My expectations are high! Hopefully not too high.

I would have eaten this up right away if it weren’t for the dumb licensing issues. 😒

@vivanesca Also I am stunned and flattered that anyone would value my opinion that much, thank you! The fact that you’re enjoying this gives me even more incentive to watch!

@mindy Sleep? who needs sleep?

I find the little misunderstandings between our OTP very relatable. JH's misgivings stem from being a bit insecure about his chances with JA, and unfortunately for him, he always seems to get info 2nd hand -- so very one-sided and distorted.

That both JH and JA go out of their way to clarify things before they fester is the very beauty of communication. I mean, a conflict-free kdrama is boring, we all know that. However, a drama with conflict and characters that approach said-conflict like mature adults: GOLD!

What I found strike me the most in episode 3 is how reluctant JH is to make a move first to JA. For example holding her hand.
It must be something to do with her being older, he hestitate making a move first. It's like he is stepping her boundaries. Being older means become a leader, the one which used to the first one to make a move. There is conflict between age and gender. Not because he is afraid of get rejected. Just like she stated, they already feel they like each other. So aware this, she is the one who make a move first!

That power imbalance between them, with him being the dongsaeng, made that first scene with them walking together (the one in all the previews) all the more squee-worthy where he just wants to hold her and put his arm around her, but can't. Then he gets the chance to with the rain and the red umbrella, under the guise of not getting wet, of course, so still not overstepping any boundaries of the "brother-sister" relationship that they still have at that point . Again, very squee-worthy. Also, it was so much more appropriate for her to make the first move as you stated, and I really appreciated that as well. He needed that permission because she is the "elder" one, if you will, and in their culture of honor and strict social codes, him making the first move would have been disrespectful, to say the least, and sexual harassment to say the worst. Thank the drama-gods, writer, and director for getting around this in such a delightful way. He's saying everything he needs to during that conversation with the workmates to give her all the clues that she needs to know that the ball is totally in her court. And the hiccups--goodness me, almost better than you know what.

Agreed. I've been meaning to post on this, but I think the one of the bigger turning points at least for Jin-ah was in Ep. 2 when they were having a meal right before the umbrella scene. While I think that entire conversation was critical for both, one of the more interesting parts of that scene was when she addressed his sarcasm and a little while after that he says that she is prettier.

With the number of K-Dramas I've watched--and I've watched a good bit--none of them have properly prepared me about Korean--and by extension Asian--culture to really understand why certain things are happening and I find that quite sad. I guess it's also one of those things that you kinda have to live to understand. Thankfully you guys are here to fill in the gaps. It's like knowing the answer is 5, but I don't know exactly how to get to 5.

The conversation was so beautifully done, I could practically see how Joon Hee goes from being awkward to practically blushing (and I swore I thought I saw his ears went red!) and getting the guts to practically, and obviously hinting that he’s interested in her- without even looking directly at her! I just thought their expressions then were visually awesome, + that 0.0001 sec side eye glance. And the hand touch at the end practically made him blushed red (i swore I could see that LOL) and it almost made me having hiccups too.

I like that when i watch this, I don’t need to be told of what’s going on, and I could totally rely on what I see in front of me. It’s honest, and realistic. And thise little face twitches made me go crazyyyyy ❤️

I had to make a gif of that side eye. And @hades did too (on our beanie fan walls)! Jung Hae-in is just amazing there.

from personal experience of having dated someone a bit younger, JH's awkwardness is just soooo cute and on-point !! I was told that there's something intimidating (in a good way) about making a move on an "older" woman that you genuinely respect and care about. That even though you're a playboy with girls your age or younger, once you actually care about someone, especially someone older, you really want to make the best impression and don't wanna seem too hurried etc.

I just loooove love looove how she held his hand 1st and gave him the greenlight to be her man. now THAT's a real noona !!

I’ve dated a couple younger guys as well. Well, they didn’t know I was older and in grad school until we started dating though, and I loved this scene as well. There is that intimidating aspect certainly, not just in age, but in career and possibly emotional maturity as well. I found these younger guys were always more respectful of me and never made the first move until I did or asked if it would be ok to take the next step. That’s why I loved her holding his hand first, even though he stated he wanted too. SQUEEEE!!!

Mr. KethySK pulled off the most AWKWARD 1st kiss when we started dating a year ago, all in the name of "You intimidated me and I was scared of messing up", which was sooooo endearing !! (and embarassing. Lord, even my sweet 16 kiss was less weird that this one! ha ha ha)

*he's so cute in the most awkward ways!*

That’s too sweet! I got butterflies just reading about it! This show is going to be your crack, if it’s not already!

I’m also getting the impression that there as several “Noonas” on this thread who have had their own romances, which is why we identify with this drama so much? 😜

touché!! ha ha ha ha ha

Episode 3 has to be my favourite episode! I almost went crazy feeling excited and cautious at the same time watching them tip-toeing into the relationship - being very aware of how much each other affected them and how crazy it all sound but they just can't help themselves. They are attracted to each other and that's it. Being recently out of one relationship and to start another that quickly sounds crazy, but it's not unrealistic. It's also kinda crazy to be in a relationship that feels so wrong on societal level of acceptance but they do it anyway because truthfully, nothing's wrong with that.

I really enjoy watching both of them react to the frustrations and hopelessness of what the society sets for them. That moment when you keep being reminded of the age gap. Being reminded that you're the Noona. That you are older. That he's a brother. That he's young and he can get anyone he wants. That she belongs somewhere unreachable to you. That craziness of having to control yourself. Having to hide your feelings. Having to be treated like younger kid when you're really, not. Doing something that would hurt the other (and yourself) just because you're frustrated of it all.

And when all of that are easily forgotten when you're around each other. That moment you feel like the hell with everyone, we just want to be in each other's company. That moment of how they keep giving obvious excuses so they won't part, keep going fro and back, and grinning foolishly at each other (and I liked how later they don't even give excuses anymore and just pretend how normal it is to walk to the door and back LOL) And suddenly the world feels right again.

The rollercoaster feels are suffocatingly real, this drama. And I love how it makes me feel.

❤️

You guys are really killing me with these analyses, perspectives, and real world applications.

Being newly in love is great, isn’t it? This is the first drama I’ve watched that I can feel what I felt when I was first falling in love. And it’s everything you said. Watching this with my husband has been amazing. Because it’s like watching us. Minus all the extraneous work and family stuff of course.

IKR? They keep saying "we are not commit a crime". But still, they keep their relationship in secret, means they haven't ready the world judge them. The society kept telling them it's weird to have relationship to someone who is nearly like your family, and older/younger than you. As if they have the right to judge and make them feels in the wrong place

Interesting that you mention how they are not ready for the world to judge them. Societal expectations and cultural matters are some complex thing. Of course nobody has the right to judge.them, but I think they wanted the approval so much and the fact that they honestly love people around them that they don’t want anybody to get hurt by their relationship. As much as love means the world to them, families are as important to them as well. But ye, I agree that they might not be ready to face the consequences ye. They’re still newly in love, and not yet at the stage where they wanted everyone to know. Timing, after all, is everything. 😊

@alert. IMO Their family are the one who set their standard. It's because the influence of
their environment keep telling them so.

Your analysis reminds me of how I interpreted it as well, much like an interracial or gay relationship relationship. In many ways, some members of society and some families still aren't ok with either.

so well said, @alert
my heart !!!

Episode 3 won me over. I'm in.

The car scene with their hands was so real. I lived that scene. I dated and married my brother's best friend, and while the age and cultural situation is not the same, there was still some family tension and renegotiating of friendships. Just making the choice to date was fraught with the added risk of damaging other relationships, so making that first move to hold hands.....so much tension.

Damn, I didn't need another show on my plate.

You’re in the same boat as me, too many good shows and not enough time to watch them!

I lived that awkwardness WITH the age gap thing too!!
I soooo relate!

EPISODE 4 DISCUSSION

RAW: I watched the raw one and I loved their fast paced romance and I loved every moment of it except at some places I felt that the editing should be tighter and have the episode length at max 1 hour 10 mins. Somehow it feels too long now.

I guess I like the slowness of the episodes, this was my favorite one so far. I don’t even know the time that passes, I’m so engrossed. I was like this with watching Goblin as well. Time seemed to stand still.

1. The reaction to the hand holding was more than what I have come to expect from a K-Drama. The conversation was what you would expect it to be in a situation like that irl. Nothing blown out of proportion. Nothing exaggerated for whatever reason. Lol. Their excuse to meet up after drinks was too good. Watching them skedaddle out of their friends' view was adorable.

2. I find it very rare that a K-Drama is able to effectively relay the nuances and subtleties of not only the "figuring out what this--the relationship--is" but also the just being together/spending time together aspects as well. I can't remember the last time I've seen an OTP spend time on the phone as much as a couple would. Probably the first and last time was Coffee Prince.

3. I think the first part of this episode could be entitled the silly things we do when we're in love. Parking your car after you've almost left the parking lot because your bf says he'll drive you to work. Wanting to look your best for the person you like. I love how this show doesn't shy away from how silly but often necessary that is. Joon-hee back at his office cleaning up and waiting on the couch was too cute and again real. You want to make a good impression, right? 😂 He couldn't contain his excitement. That euphoric feeling of, is this actually happening!? When his drunken coworker almost ruined the whole evening, you couldn't help but laugh at the whole situation.

4. Probably one of my favourite aspects of this drama was Joon-hee being chauffeur. Partners often are for the other--given they make/have the time. Why don't we get more of this simple fact in dramas?

YESSSSS, the handhold rather than the wristgrab!! now we're in the 21st century!

6. Probably the most interesting aspect of this drama at this point has to be the problems that the couple may face from both their families. They’re in a situation where they’re like family too each other and with each other’s families. Kyun-sun is not only Joon-hee’s sister but in many ways his guardian/mother. She had great difficulty supporting her family with the passing of their mother and the absence of their father. She is also Jin-ah’s best friend. Jin-ah may not get the usual best friend support, but will be faced with the guardian protectionism, even if it’s against her best friend. It would be really interesting to see if the drama goes in the opposite direction with this and have her be soon to accept after she finds out.

7. Their seeing each other behind her back could be a much bigger issue than them telling her about it up front. But that’s the thing of relationships. You don’t quite know what it is at the very beginning and you need to at least give it a chance. There’s no way that could happen if their families know about it. It’s just that I don’t think I’m going to like the part when Kyun-sun expresses her feeling of being “betrayed.”

8. Talking about families, I’m just going to take two (2) seconds to say that Jin-ah’s mother continues to be an abhorrent character to me.

9. I honestly thought that things were going to get very bad for Jin-ah when her ex showed up at the coffee shop. Given the tone of this show, she could have been at worst, raped. It was interesting that they chose to use something relatively funny—the whipped cream in the face--to deescalate the situation. I honestly believe that she should have reported him to the police. That altercation alone would have warranted it.

10. While Jin-ah is a strong woman, it’s surprising to see that she lacks conviction in certain matters like this. I guess it’s her ex, someone she may have loved and that could complicate things. Situations like these are frustrating to watch as a friend/family, and I loved how the show really nailed that frustration with the Seo siblings, but in very different ways.

wrt #6
culturally it is considered taboo still in korea to be in a relationship with family or even "near family", and i like that they are addressing the outdated norm. it was addressed in Foxy Lady, and i enjoyed