Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

Currently recapping: Hwayugi

I’m Not a Robot: I think the strength of this show was in building up the foundation of this relationship so strongly before the separation that now, even though we are (or were) in the throes of angsty misunderstanding, the expectation of payoff keeps building in my mind. I loved how Min-kyu kept trying to cling to the girl-who’s-pretending-not-to-be-the-girl-he-wishes-she-were, and thought she played the repressed feelings beautifully. That said, I’m really hoping that the next bit of pain will be over with quickly so we can get to the uplifting reunion, because I prefer when this show makes me laugh out loud, not cry buckets! I just love these kids so much and want them to be happy.

Longing Heart: Not a bad start for an OCN Romance (better acting and casting than they’ve had in the past, for sure). I like this premise a lot, where there’s just enough of a hint of mystery regarding what happened to the first love in the past to engage us beyond the purely romantic question. I also like how it seems this universe follows the tenet that what will be will be, so our hero can’t necessarily wreck the entire future by interfering in the past—but we hope it allows him just enough leeway to fix what went wrong and have that stick. So far, I like it.

Black Knight:

girlfriday

Currently recapping: Hwayugi

I’m Not a Robot: This week was a bit of a downer, though I’m always amused by how clueless this hero is about the various identities of one girl. We now have THREE versions of her running around, and it doesn’t occur to him to question it a little more? I was okay with the level of angst when she pretended not to know him (as you do, in classic drama fashion), but next week looks brutal, and I’m bracing myself for paaaaaaaaaain.

Two Cops: Meh. I couldn’t tell you what happened this week, even though I watched the episodes. It’s just spinning its wheels at this point and not advancing the relationships in any meaningful way, so I feel like I’m just in it to find out how it ends.

Jugglers: This is a cute couple. They’re refreshingly honest and direct about confronting their problems, and they don’t sit around brooding like noble idiots when they could just have a conversation. I like this show the more I watch it, because even though it’s typical and obvious, it’s done well.

mary

Go Back Spouses: You know a show is good when your only complaint about the finale is “BUT WHERE IS GO-DOK?!” Go Back Spouses did a lot of things well, from the emotional punch of time-travel (Thanks, Mom!) to the sweet little epilogues. Even both second leads reminded us how sweet and fleeting young love is, without the unnecessary clinging and plotting. You Beanies were right (again) that this show gives you strong second lead syndrome but also cures you in the end. It’s the real happy ever after we don’t get to see after the usual K-drama Happy Ever After™. Thank you to all the Beanies who signal-boosted this show! I’m glad I didn’t miss out on this short gem.

Smart Prison Living: Look, Show, I’m here to laugh at Je-hyuk Protection Squad’s antics and coo over Lt. Paeng’s adorableness, not be slapped by a mirror of my what-ifs disguised as Joon-ho. That part where he admits how he drops things lightly because starting a new pursuit is easy for him anyway, and the regret that comes when he compares himself to those who stuck it out and gave it their all… How can a show about prison life be more about normal life and less about prison? Did you lie to us again, Dramaland? Anyway, I’m rooting for you, Joon-ho, and all the Beanies! We can do it! We can find our “thing!”

Just Between Lovers: (On Episode 3) Kang-doo and Moon-soo are so sweet to the people around them that I want those people to stay healthy and happy forever, if only because they bring purpose to Kang-doo’s and Moon-soo’s lives. But I know the show is probably setting up a Tragic Illness for Halmeo, because this show never promised us frolicking puppies and butterflies, did it? I’m not excited to catch up to the latest episodes because we’ll probably say goodbye to Halmeo at some point. But I also want to catch up so I can join the Beanies’ impromptu Just Between Lovers party without worrying about spoilers. (Then again, is it a party if everyone is crying?)

abirdword

While You Were Sleeping: I’m on a mission to do some drama catch-up, and finishing While You Were Sleeping was first up on my list this week. I’m tempted to contribute to this month’s theme and write up a defense of the procedural middle of this drama, because as far as I’m concerned it was necessary, enjoyable, and absolutely perfect in terms of pacing and setting up that final dramatic finish. My love for Batman Cop was strong throughout, but Jae-chan doling out his expert baby talk for Robin at the end was equally as charming. I loved how the missing piece of the interconnected puzzle was so close all along, and I even liked how bad guy Yoo-bum’s final arc paralleled Chief Choi’s little brother’s final moments. This would have ranked as one of my top dramas of 2017, had I managed to keep up with it while it was airing.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Thanks JB for "Black Knight" review. I'm definitely going to watch it now LOL.

Ikr?! I wasn't gonna watch it (even though it has Kim Rae Won!! T_T) but the show looks so wacky I might just have to give it a go!

It's a splendid display for the Theater of the Absurd, served in a piping hot pot of cheese fondue.

It's cheese one level above any other Kim Eun Suk drama combined+absurb LOL

Such a waste of Seo Ji-hye :(.

Seo Ji Hye's character is bizzare, weird and awful too :(...

this is a kdrama that i don't really invest in the story, but have a good time watching the characters. the female 'protagonist' is basically a witch. she supposed to be naive and weak but damn, she cursed everyone who ill-treat her. the female 'antagonist' is a wandering ghost. a cruel woman in nature, but easy to be manipulated by simple praise, childish, and so naive when it comes to love. i don't know how to deal with the latter, sometimes i hate her, laugh at her, or just feel sad for her. the male 'protagonist',well, my guts saying there's a reason why this show called "black knight", cause he's definitely not just a regular white knight. something really fishy about him. you should give it a try. don't expect too much in the story line though, but it's not worse more than other kdrama currently airing right now.

Recommend to watch 2x speed though, probably more enjoyable that way, else it will be too long

This show is worthy to watch for the second heroin because it is rare to see unique character like her. She's bitchy and childish at the same time. For the plot, please have low expectation since it is not moving too much.

The more people talk about how ridiculous this drama is the more I want to watch it. It seems so amusing.

I want whatever this director is smoking :P

It's probably opium from the Goryeo era 😅.

What did JB write on the review? I can't watch it because of my country's restriction. But I'm sure JB didn't post any harmful thing tho lol
I'm currently watching this drama along with Just Between Lovers. For me, this drama is trying to be Goblin 2.0 with 2 immortal people waiting for 2 reincarnated people (don't forget about the amount of cheesiness by the male lead too). The plot is not moooving but I'm invested in the characters. Just like how I'm invested in Reaper.

she just put a small clip of the drama in 4x mode XD

Just Between Lovers on repeat.
Smart Prison Living
Jugglers
Junho video on youtube

This week I went and watched some of his old idol music videos out of curiosity, because I knew him first as Actor Junho and had no idea he was in a Man Band. It felt.... so odd. Haha! But boy can dance!

Gosh I did the same and felt the same... It's not odd then :-) Yes,he can sing and dance.

Lmao at Junho video on youtube. I also watch this after someone posted this on twitter https://youtu.be/KadPPfge2dQ and I think Junho could play as an ahjumma in his next drama

have you watched the 2nd part? 😁😁 how about their other parodies? 😀😀😀

And I thought I got crazy for obsessing over junho. But seeing your comment made me realize that I am not alone. That guy is crazy talented

I crack up reading the last item on your list 😄
Because that's exactly what I did after noticed Taecyeon on 7 First Kiss, I searched all of their old videos on Youtube, and ended up being their fan.

My list would be like this except,
minus SPL
minus Jugglers
plus 1N2D

😂😂

Bwahahaha, you all should see him in his band 2PM sings and dances to A.D.T.O.Y , very recommended :)

His a singer, dancer, composer, actor and crazy lady cats.

Smart Prison Living: This week eps felt like a harsh reminder that this is a drama about prison life after all. And while we've spent a lot of time with those innately good people which is our dear inmates, there are also other kind of people there. The one who don't have any qualm hurting and killing others, the one who enjoy using violence to make their life easier. But true to this drama's spirit, right when I thought this is all getting too dark, there is Je-hyuk with another one of his unusual solution. Maybe next week we can expect the funny to be back in full swing again.

Just Between Lovers: You know Show, I'm trying very hard here to prepare my heart for Granny's departure. And after those painful bout of noble idiocy from our Kang-doo, at least you can help me out by not making me worried for his health. Is that too much to ask for??

Jugglers: Tbh, I was afraid we'll get a dose of noble idiocy this week, what's with Yoon-yi's Mom's opposition and Do-hee's arrival. But our leads survived it well with their honest talk and sincere feelings. So I'm being very optimistic that they'll also handle this newest obstacle without being a noble idiot. Especially since they also have their awesome team's suport.

Two Cops: I'm still dumbfounded thinking about how this drama actually has an interesting mystery at the core of its story, and yet everything fell flat at the execution. I wish they doled out those important information strategically throughout its run rather than crammed it all in this week eps.

The thing about Prison is it gets you to laugh and relax only to catch you off guard and hit you in the face. I got caught off guard yet again. Damn it.

With Two Cops, I've stopped bothering with the plot at this stage and just watch for the body-swapping and JJS acting. It's remarkably sophomoric for a show with an actor of his calibre.

Never hated the sight of a man with nose bleed this much......oh Just Between Lovers, please be gentle with our fragile hearts!

I would really appreciate if something happens to Kang Doo. Its cruel and more realistic but it won't happen in this typical kdrama.
The guy hardly is in mid 20s and almost half of the body is broken.
Many gonna think where is that thumbsdown

Oh Two Cops. It just once again proves that even if you hav a great setup with an interesting mystery, a hijinky body swap premise and a great cast, execution is still everything. I stopped watching a week ago but I feel like I could just pick it up right before it ends without filling in the blanks and be fine.

The biggest -ve point of Playbook is its airtime. Nowadays movies are getting shorter and here we have a show being broadcast for more 2+ hours(including ads).
Ratings wise it has made records and even beat free channels. It has solid content and i put it 2 steps above Just Between Lovers.

May I ask where you watch Smart Prison Living? I know a few websites that I check, but have only been able to watch up to episode 10. Thanks!

I watch it on dramacool

Thank you, as the show just ended and I loved what I watched, I bought the DVDs. It's been so long since I purchased a drama.

Oh, hello there, Captain Yoo/Jung Hae-in~

This week, I've watched Prison Playbook and Hwayugi. It's so sad that when I say I watched them, I'm actually referring to last week's episode, not this week's.

I've talked about it in the Open Thread but while I'm enjoying Hwayugi, I enjoy JB and GF's recaps more. I don't have a connection yet with the show. Probably because I find Oh Yeon-seo stiff and boring in her role here. I was looking forward to her comedic chops! Good thing Seung-gi being petty and contradictory is so entertaining. Haha!

Prison Playbook is ending soon and I am not ready to deal with that yet. This show just latched onto me because all of these characters are in my heart now. With this show though, I'm kinda okay that Netflix releases the episodes late because then I have an "extra week" with the show. I know it's too early in 2018 but so far, it would take a lot to top this off my fave 2018 drama as of now.

I also finished Go Back Spouses and despite some ... in the ending, it was such a great ride that I'm beating myself up for not livewatching it. At least I got to ride the train, right? Even if I'm late.

I'm supposed to try out Longing Heart but I haven't read any comments about it yet so I was waiting for some. So thanks, JB! Will check it out!

Glad you got on the Nam-gil train for GBS! I sure didn't mind your posts!

ikr, it would be painful to bid goodbye to the characters of Prison Playbook, it already is first with Dr.Go and now Kaist but next week its for all at once

Go baksa leaving wrecked me! It was also because Minchul-ie was so precious I was crying when he was all "I wanted to give Sora a doll but now you're leaving so just accept this" HUHUHUHU.

I didn't expect the Kaist one. I thought Dr. Go leaving would be enough. BUT APPARENTLY NO. When I saw caps from this week's episode, I was IN DENIAL. I figured I shouldn't mourn yet since I wouldn't be able to see the episodes until next week. But gah!

Kaist's transfer was very unexpected. The show has just teared my heart out with his unexpected backstory, and then suddenly the officers announced his transfer just like that. Without even a goodbye to his cellmates! I was too stunned to cry at the moment, which wouldn't be the case next week when I finally watch it with sub.
*preparing tissue in advance*

@mary Quickly catch up so you can join the JBL party lol. We're an angsty bunch I think.
(I need to catch up too, I haven't watched last week's episodes. Should I just wait till it finishes to binge-watch?)
I love where Hwayugi is going, and Lee Seungi is killing me with all his unfair smoldering and gentle looks and touches!

Currently Watching
JUST BETWEEN LOVERS. Okay this drama has officially took over my heart this past week. Feels oh feel. Adorable, sad and warm. Mary, we'll be waiting for you in our JBL feels party on the thread 💕

WISE PRISON LIFE.
How can a show about prison life be more about normal life and less about prison? Did you lie to us again, Dramaland? lmao, Mary! xD but it's true though. how this drama could do this to us. Precious. I love this drama so much, I don't want to separate with everyone :( Smiling Captain Yoo is too cute.

JUGGLERS.
Less excited about it this week. It was okay, I guess? At least Chi Won is still a nice boyfriend who doesn't waver in front of his ex xD

It felt like I haven't watched anything that is airing for a long time but Haerong-ie Prison is running off with my heart.

I'm forever Lee Kyu-hyung's big fan now. He is just so great.

He is! I was watching Forest of Secrets and didn't know he was there. I was pleasantly surprised. He's such a good actor.

Me too, he is just so adorable and weird and kind of creepy, but my love for him will never leave.

That clip of Black Knight- LIKE WUUUT?!! Now I'm wondering if I should be watching it for the LOL. The drama seems like it should be a parody of something.

Hwayugi: Quality not quite up to my original expectations but so freaking enjoyable! I love the twist on the headband. It makes total sense that the upgraded version will control the victim via love and not physical pain, which is coincidentally perfect for a rom-com. I loved the whole chatroom thing! Best running joke in a kdrama in awhile. I can't wait for Sun-mi and her monster friends to form some sort of Avengers team.

Wise Prison Diary (episodes 4-7): I didn't feel settled into the drama and its quirky humor until episode 4, when we start to glimpse the backstories of Je-hyuk's cellmates (his new ones and not those jerks from episode 1), who are all adorable and have the ability to break my heart. Then there's Lieutenant Paeng, who is basically a marshmallow inside.

Forest of Secrets (rewatch, up to episode 9): Just got to the part where the investigation team was just put together. Knowing how it ends makes some of the scenes bittersweet.

Come join us! We are laughing through our tears, @mary, I swear!

Yes @mary and @crysta coined a great tagline for us, heartbreakingly hilarious ,over at JBL's party

Now that I think about it, I think we're all having bittersweet smile while also sobbing and trying to laugh over JBL

We are!

Y'all, what even is going on in that Black Knight GIF?

Anyway, I just started Baum-dong Revenge Social Club as a binge for the long weekend and I may be in love already. I haven't binged a show since maybe last spring? But these ladies may be exactly the boost I need in the gross weather we have here.

Also loving Jugglers. The leads are amazing and I don't even hate the office politics that much. I also love the secondary story with Yul and Jung-ae, though I'm undecided if I want it to be romantic - leaning towards no, just because I think it could be really meaningful to also have a parallel story of a mother finding her strength to Yoon-yi's.

I have a new rule with I am Not a Robot where I only watch the second episode (or third/fourth, whatever) of the week a day or two before the new one. I can't deal with the angst and waiting. Same with Just Between Lovers but that's also in part because I was late to the party and then the episode lengths were tough to keep up with.

I am, for some inexplicable reason, also watching Nothing to Lose and the reason I'm gonna go with it's purely because of the three leads. And Kim Hae-sook. But I'm gonna try to finish it this weekend just because I made it this far.

Gonna try to start Hwayugi when I get a chance too, but I will rant again here about how there is no reason to have a mini-movie twice a week. C'mon, TvN.

I agree about the episode lengths. I'm watching Wise Prison Diary, which I love, but the episodes are clocking in between an hour and 30 and an hour and 45.

Buamdong Revenge Club is definitely a mood-booster! It was a very satisfying drama with a good ending (and good, satisfying endings are hard to come by in kdramas)

Those lengths are why I can't finish Goblin. (There so much pointless filler I just ended up watching the best bits on YT.) Same to Answer Me 1994. Haven't even attempted 1988 for the same reason. The lengths are literally driving me away. The only reason I'm gonna give Hwayugi a shot is the cast and Hong sisters.

i didn't feel any fillers in 1988. i guess because it's more like family drama and every story are matters in equal level. that was the first time i truly care and enjoy other than romance part. i guess that's what makes its the best reply series and one of the best korean drama ever.

I totally want to give 1988 a shot, because I believe you when you say there's no filler, but sitting down to watch 16 1.5 hr episodes isn't something I have time for. I can barely keep up with the 1 hr and 12 minutes for JBL these days. I don't doubt that the reply series is the best -- 1997 is one of my top dramas ever. I just think you can have equally good storytelling without excessive length. I do plan to try to finish 1994 and try 1988 one day, but it's nearly impossible with my schedule right now.

I vaguely remember Goblin eventually getting some normal episode lengths after the first 2 weeks and there were several episodes that I felt were padded with filler. 1994 and 1988 had enough good content for its length.

However, 90% of my dramawatching is watching while the stuff is airing, and the lengths make it difficult to catch up if I miss an episode or two one week.

The long length is definitely the really to why I live watch, definitely cannot stomach binge watch with 1.5h-2h episode lengths, especially since there will definitely be some filler whether big or small with this length.

I also live watch most of my drama. I don't think I've sat down to binge anything since last spring. But I will finish the reply series one day -- when I actually have some time.

But I was live watching Goblin! I was just so bored with all the filler that I ended up falling behind about halfway through the series. I dropped it when I realized I had watched 40 minutes of an episode and almost nothing of significance had happened and when I skimmed the recap it seemed the only major reveal was at the end of the 1.5 hr episode.

Halamoni in between lovers is love, it's sad and happy when everyone was around her at the hospital such a beautiful scene, it doesn't have to be a family to love each other.

Kang-Doo's smile at the end of that scene is so heart-warming.

Yes! It was a beautifully executed scene....and I'm still feeling the all the different feels 2 days later; love😍😍😍 for the created family, pride for Kang doo, and dread for haemoni all mixed up in an emotional tangle.

The scene might look good and all but it also reminded me of dozen other shows. It was mostly carrying the line of just between shows.

I don't think it matters that the scene is in a dozen other shows because it felt so good and right within the context of THIS show.

I think that's what a lot of the best K-dramas do. They might take familiar tropes and situations, but they either do something fresh with them or make them work so well within the context of the show and the world that the characters live in that you don't care.

There's nothing new under the sun. If you're coming to mass media for originality then you are not going to find it. However, each story has a unique power to reach our hearts or not. This story for me and for others have reached our hearts and pulled us in. Of course, that's going to vary on taste and mood, but it has nothing to do with "originality."

I am Not a Robot -- I felt annoyed at first that they spent the entire week having him chase her around the little bed and breakfast seaside town, but after thinking about it, it was really the only way to let them spend time together and to solidify it is Jia he loves. She would not choose to be around him and put him in danger of finding out she had been AJ-3 if she could have helped it, and having them trapped for a night was the only way to get them quality time together. Love that he still loved his girl/robot, even when he didn't think she was his girl/robot.

But part of me also would have liked to see him fall for Jia for a while before finding out, and having to feel like he's betraying AJ-3's memory, or wonder if it's really Jia he likes or the memory of AJ-3. That would have been some fun conflict. Oh well, bring on the heart-twisting pain of betrayal!

I couldn't bring myself to watch episode 10 of JBL because of the angst I knew would be there, and I wanted to wait until next week's episodes for hopefully some cute resolution? (Or will there just be more angst?! Gahhh) Loving the impromptu JBL party, though!

I didn't like the idea of them locked in the storage, I wish they were more interaction like following her around in the market buying fish or help at the restaurant more bickering and find out in the process how similar they are, then he realize by himself that she's Aji 3 isn't his IQ 156! The writer made him look like a fool.

Overall MK was so adorable and cute, but it was annoying how everyone kept insisting on lying more lies and more, if i were him i wouldn't trust anyone of that team they scammed him and lied to him even his doctor is lying poor MK.

That's been my problem with IANAR for a long time. They have turned KMK into a total idiot. The good news for me is that it's about to end soon.

I guess I just buy that hes a fool because even if his IQ is high, he has had no experience with real people. He has been distrusting other people since he was little and never bothered to understand them and still is bad at reading them. He put the pieces together pretty quickly once he saw the necklace.

Which is why its pretty awful they lied to him this much. He only just started to open up so any betrayal is going to hit so much harder. I want the angst to end quickly but then it wouldnt make sense for his character to take this lightly.

I'm not sure he's meant to look like a fool, just someone who's clueless about human interaction. If only he'd spent more time watching dramas, he wouldn't have had this problem.

I hope Yoo Seung Ho doesn't go Gong Yoo alà Coffee Prince on us 😭😭😭

@ultramafic
On JBL ep 10, the angst didn't last long, and i think it's less frustating than ep 9. i admired mon soo for doing what heart wants (not give up on kang doo), despite what everyones (include kang doo) saying about who is good for her..

I felt episode 10 not to be angsty, it was fun to see Moon soo and Kang doo (he really can't fake it, my girl is so smart).

my love for the past few weeks Hanyang vs Kaist vs Yoo and now vs Min Chul Abeoji!

last two ep are so wacky yet so heartwrenching especially on Kaist (i hate you Shin PD!) and Hanyang and Yoo honest talk that hurt Hanyang a bit. but Yoo come through with his knight in shining armor moment. Moar petty boys fighting about banmal and chocopie, please!

i finished watching The Package. lol, its weird Yoon Park become dongsaeng because he looks older than Lee Yeon Hee. i also like the Lee Yeonhee and Yonghwa express love. its more pure than their previous years relationship. Yonghwa ex-gf sure is something.
i also waiting for NIF2 to finish airing so i can binge watch it later. so far, they family dynamic and missing fiancee arc is slowly pulling me in.

Hi Beanies! Hope you all have a good weekend. This is what kept me busy this week:
*Just Between Lovers: Oh my heart. I expected the angst this week, but I thought all my sadness would be focused on KG and MS. I’m glad that halmeoni has a family around her and just wish that everyone could have the same. Last year, our family spent some days in the hospital and one of the saddest things was to see people on their own. It’s heartwarming when friends can become family.
*I’m Not A Robot: Last week had all my invisible tears and this week gave me dread mixed in with happiness. I was so happy that they finally got to interact with each other, but the fact that the truth was going to come out in such an unpleasant way, I was scared as to what was going to happen. If dramas have taught me anything it is to speak up before it's too late; if you have something important to say, just say it!
*King 2 Hearts: I finally finished this drama which I started weeks ago. I enjoyed it a lot, but since I didn’t binge watch it or even try to binge watch it, I guess that means I didn’t love it, lol.I did love LSG and JJS in their roles though!
1 Night, 2 Days: Oh yeah! This is the funny show I remember. I’m glad we finally get to see the guys on their trips abroad. I thought it was funny that they had to search for their fans, but only because there is a true meaningful reason as to why they are at those places. I think I laughed a little bit more in the Cuba bits because I know Spanish and was happy they were in a Spanish speaking country. Also when the band was hustling for them to buy a CD, I couldn’t stop laughing because it’s true to life.
*Master in the House: I am really enjoying this new variety show! I think that the guys are hilarious and the way it's edited so dramatically is my type of humor that I enjoy. I like the concept into peeping into others people’s lives because I’m nosy like that, but also it’s interesting to see how other people think and live. While some look out for wealth, others bask in memories and finding meaning in anything and everything. Neither is right or wrong, you just have to live your own life which is pretty awesome.
*I Live Alone: I was surprised they won so many awards in their station and I had never seen an episode so I decided to catch up with the two latest ones. I laughed so hard that my throat hurt. It's interesting how you can just pop into variety shows and get caught up really quickly.
*Midnight Runners: I just finished watching this movie and it was so good! I started it because of Park Seo Joon and Kang Ha Neul, but stayed for how well the movie was paced and the comedy and the action. I really enjoy movies like these.😃

I re-watched the first half of King 2 Hearts this past weekend because I wanted even more petty and bratty Lee Seung-gi after watching Hwayugi. The show is absolutely fantastic in building and raising the stake of their relationship which it is literally world peace hanging in the balance!

That's one of the things I liked about it, how their relationship meant more in the grand scheme of things, but they still chose to love and trust each other. Also, I really like stories where our hero doesn't want to be the guy in charge, but then he is totally awesome in the role. It was so sad when hyung died, but King Lee Jaeha was awesome!

Yes! Reluctant hero is my catnip, reluctant hero who falls in love with an equal partner who challenges him to be a better man makes the catnip a catbinge for me!

Haha yes it does!

Lee Seung Gi was great in the King Two Hearts and it is still one of my favourite shows. Hwayugis OhGong reminds me of LeeJaeHa. Hopefully they give him as much depth as our reluctant king had!

This was my first LSG drama and I loved him in it. I'm still on the fence on watching Hwayugi though. I go back and forth and haven't started it.

Just Between Lovers- I marathon this baby and it’s total crack drama. I love the two leads. A heroine that actually speaks her mind and does what her heart tells her to! A rare find indeed. Pls don’t mess up the second half drama gods.

I wanna watch this show and have to figure out how to carve out the time to catch up. If I spoke Korean, I could enjoy this while doing some of my chores. Alas, K-dramas require my full attention!

It is such an incentive to learn Korean if only for this reason alone! But Just Between Lovers is so good that I would recommend watching with undivided attention when you have the time to spare. I really feel like I am watching a wonderfully crafted indie movie that is made with so much love every week, but it's even better since I will get to spend around 20 hours with all these lovely characters instead of just 2.

Is it planned to be a 20 episode drama? Ohh I didn't know that. Then I may not expect them to get together so soon, because then dramagods will think it can be boring... I don't find boring when a nice couple have their share of happiness in front of our eyes, but again, I understand that is not the way it works with the typical storytelling. Ohhh I hate dragging!!!

No worries! It is only 16 episodes. I just rough estimated 20 hours total in duration because of the often over-an-hour episodes we have been getting.

That was a good shoutout from a Kdrama Heroine to whole of Kdrama world.

Then again, I find her to be less layer compare to Kang Doo. We heart Kang Doo more because the writers love his character more. And Poor Kang Ha Na. her character is thrown under the bus so far, the irony is she the most talent among the young cast. I was excite she was cast as the 2nd female lead.

Wow, first time I'm awake to post at this, since nowadays it gets posted at 5 am in my time 😨😨

I finally started Just Between Lovers, and I find it very compelling and good. Just finished 6 episodes this week 😆😆
Jugglers - I am more interested in Yul and Wang Mi's story, because I think that is a better build one than the leads's one 😅😅

Prison Playbook - I just love everything about this drama. At the end of an episode so many things happen, that I can't even express my feelings right for all of them 😅😅
INAR - I just love the acting here. The part where MinKyu would not leave, that one was adorable for me 😁😁
Individualist Ms. Ji Young - Finally gave this a shot, and I'm extremely happy I did. The way he did not stop caring about her til the end, and the way she obtained true happiness by loving herself first, that was a beautiful message 😁😁

Sunny (2011) - This movie made me cry, and laugh, and be happy for a few minutes. The feelings were the same I got for Reply 1988, there was longing and sadness cause it was all over, and happiness cause there is still time to live 😀😀😀

Kang's Kitchen - I did not notice it until after an episode was over, but this show is really a healing one.
I am very happy that the subbing team is so dedicated that they subs every single thing 😅😅

Hwayugi - the more I watched this, the more in love I am with Cha Seung Won. He does comic acting so well. Oh and please tell me none of the leads died as a sacrifice to save the world in the end.😑
Jugglers - cute. I don't think I will like it initially but this drama grows on me. From the prickly boss who slowly and sweetly opening up to his secretary and the sweet old childish Yeol. 😘 you. I do skipped most of the office politic parts though.

Just Between Lovers - beanies seem to like this a lot so I am intrigued to start. Already watched the first 2 episodes and so far liking it. I need time to marathon this. Heaven help me.

Forget to mention Black Knight, although that one is kinda on hold at ep 8. I adore Kim Rae Won and want to watch this so much but life's a hell and time do not permit. Please be good.

Cha Seung Won is my not-so-secret ahjussi. His exasperation is gold. If I came back as a man, I'd want to have his style!

Hehe he needs to hide all that suave perfection a little more like all the other immortals including like Yoo Jae-suk try to do!

Hey everyone!

Smart Prison Living is as enjoyable as ever. Each week I get lost in this character’s stories and I so so appreciate the respect with which they are treating Han-yang’s relationship. Trust the Answer Me team to portray a gay relationship in a sensitive way.
Just Between Lovers: Still beautiful. I am a bit worried for Gang-doo next week, though, both because of the nose bleed and because of Grandma’s health. Please, show, this boy can’t take much more pain and suffering. Treat him kindly.
I’mNot a Robot: This week rose my love for the show to new heights following the conversation between Min-kyu and Ji-ah in the warehouse. Equal parts excited and nervous for next week!

I also finished Dal-ja’s Spring and loved it despite the mostly unnecessary conflict towards the end. I wrote all my final thoughts on my wall a few days ago but in short I loved its portrayal of so many different working women, the friendships, and Dal-ja’s wonderful character growth. And her relationship with Tae-bong, of course, which was a big contributing factor to that growth. Seeing Lee Min-ki in this right after BTLIOF was like stepping through a time machine. He has grown so much as an actor in these 10 years. He’s always been charming and a joy to watch on screen but he shows so much more depth and maturity in his roles now, and he’s acquired the sort of gravitas that comes with age and experience.

I also finished My Only Love Song, what a hilarious little show! My love for Gong Seung-yeon is official now and I can’t wait for Are You Human Too. Any word on when it’s supposed to air? I thought it was this month but cannot find anything definitive.

I started The Best Hit and while I wasn’t really grabbed by it, it’s an easy watch and now after finishing episode 14 it has some more emotional depth, which I am digging. Lee Se-young has great chemistry with Yoon Shi-yoon, better than with Kim Min-jae, I think. Also, I find myself crushing a bit on YSY in this despite his weird character and his dumb hair and clothes, hahaha.

Drama watching has been good for me this winter break! School starts up again next week so I sadly won’t be able to watch as many shows, but I’ll enjoy it while I can.

lol don't question it. That outfit/hair worked only because it was Yoon Shi Yoon.

Hehe, I lamented when he got the obligatory drama makeover!

I just got to that episode and was also disappointed! Lol. He had all the 90s swag.

I discovered My Only Love Song on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. What a charming, funny little show! I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

I ... don't ... have ... time ....to ... watch ... another ... drama. Who am I kidding? I have no willpower. I've just added My Only Love Song to my Netflix list.

It’s a quick watch! The episodes are 30min and there are 20 of them so it’s like watching a 10-episode drama.

Right? I only watched it for Gong Seung-yeon after finishing Circle and wasn’t expecting to enjoy it so much. It was just so ridiculous and fun.

OMG, I fell in love with Gong Seung-yeon too in that drama, it is the only reason I'm attempting "Are you human too?" drama with the very pretty but bland bland Seo Kang Joon. She is fantastic.

Totally agree. I’m hoping Seo Kang-joon surprises me because I always want to like him, especially in this one because I want Gong Seung-yeon to have a decent co-star to work with!

This seems to have been a bad week for me in dramas overall... I'm only keeping up with Jugglers now because INAR has been a bit of a downer recently. I'm not a huge fan of long, dragged out angst, and it looks like next week's pain is going to be even worse now that MK's allergy has relapsed. Argh!

After seeing JB's Black Knight review... I'm really not sure if I want to put myself through another 2 hours of pain. (Has it gotten any better?)

Black Knight has gotten worst (if that is even possible). God, I can't even anymore.

LOl, now I REALLY wanna watch this show!!

I'm half in fear and half hopeful of next week's INAR episodes though. If like what Dr Oh said, his allergy will be so severe that injection is not enough right? Then the only way for him to survive is to believe Jia's sincere heart r? So he has to know for sure she loves him? Maybe see her cry over him to live? Then allergy symptoms will go away? Like how she touched him during the rain scene that cured him in ep 9?

I started Smart Prison Living this week, I love it! 1.5 hours didn't feel too long. I hope it's not 16 episodes, I would watch it for 10 episodes more.
Dropped Longing Heart in the first 45 minutes. The story felt a bit disturbing for me. The actors were cringey, I just can't.
Just Between Lovers is still the highlight of my week 💓💓

Smart Prison Living: F***ing broke my heart this week. I'm freaking pissed lmao, I was an absolute wreck at those scenes. Y'all know what I'm talking about.

Just Between Lovers: Utterly owns my heart with its gentle, unflinching portrayal of universality of pain and our capability to work through such pain through our bonds with one another.

@mk thank you! Your words have perfectly captured the beauty of Just Between Lovers!

Aw, you're making me blush.

Don't. And you have to post this very same comment in the thread we are having about it, so that all the beanies loving this show will agree with us, because @beantown is right. Your words describes it very perfectly.

I'm even more excited to watch this weeks episode of JBL now that there's a place I can fangirl about it with other people. If only we could make a party for wise prison life 🤔

I Am Not A Robot: Just caught up because I was afraid of the fallout. It feel like I’m watching a championship battle of charged looks and full contact emoting. They are doing a bang up job of making their longing your longing.

Hwayugi: So I will return. I have been faithful to the recaps but was just feeling off and with the series of incidences, i was afraid this would go south. #HongSistersPTSD

So I did a couple of false starts with Money Flower and The Jugglers but I’ve been in this weird space of not sure what to try hence i rewatched White Christmas over of course Christmas and then decided to attempt something i purposely avoided when it originally aired.....

MiSa I’m Sorry I Love You: Why did i do that to myself?!?!?! But i think I’ve jerked myself around, and the added angst of the last couple episodes of I Am Not A Robot to prep myself up for go back and restart Queen for a Seven Days.

I thought I wouldn't give them another chance after the emotional trauma that was Big but I had the misfortune to watch You're Beautiful as well and that was a trainwreck. At least it was a clear trainwreck from episode 1 so they didn't destroy my emotional health like they did with Big.
Is there such a thing as a *meandering* train wreck?
#HongSistersPTSD

Currently loving I'm not a robot, starting to like Hwayugi, still watching Doubtful Victory maybe for Yoon Kyunsang Jung Hyesung and Two Cops for I don't know... I'm not the type of who can easily drop a drama especially with 1 week left.
Re-watched Movie 4th Period Mystery. It's where I see Yoo Seungho and Kang Sora for the first time. I like them here but since then I haven't watched any Yoo Seungho's dramas until I found I'm Not a Robot because his dramas mostly not my favorite genre and the reviews weren't really good. For Kang Sora, I like her in Doctor Stranger (She is the only one who can make me feel Second Female Lead Syndrom), Misaeng and Warm and Cozy but I can't finish Revolutionary Love, though not because of her.

I'm Not a Robot: blows me away each week by how good it is and leaves me in frustrated anticipation of the next episodes. I'm now just crossing my fingers that it ends well so I can put it in a preliminary number 1 position on a 'Best Drama of 2018' list.

Jugglers: No idea what people see in this. I found it actually painful to watch and only made it to episode 6. It's a romance where I actively wanted the OTP to NOT get together. Glad I dropped it.

Doubtful Victory: This is my weekly 'brain-in-neutral' show. It's not that great but there's something compelling about the male lead that keeps me tuning in.

Two Cops: JJS and that's it. This is is remarkable only for its mediocrity.

Current binge watch for a rainy weekend: Suspicious Partner. Plot is pretty pedestrian but Ji Chang Wook slays me over and over again.

brain-in-neutral

Ha!

Jugglers is my favorite show right now. It's one of the most mature office romances I've seen in a while. Plus, Daniel Choi is so hot!

Smart prison living: even there is no sub, I still watch it raw.
Just between lovers: on episode 2 and the girl is remind me of Soo Ae, their expression is same or the face? (May be)
Black Knight: just for Kim Rae Won.
Jugglers: cute, I hope this couple not like any idiocy couple that choose breake up just for each other 'fine'.

Got sick the whole week so could only catch up on two this week.

I’m Not a Robot: A show where I don’t mind spoilers. Like the more the merrier.

Wise Prison Break: A show where I don’t want spoilers. Like at all (even though I might bump into some from the fanwall).

The spoilers on the fan wall for Prison Playbook and JBL are seriously a problem for me. Everyone is usually an episode ahead - I'm not ready yet! Haha. I now have to be careful about when I look at the wall lest I ruin something unintentionally. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

I’m 2 episodes behind for WPB because I’m patiently waiting for subs (and like 4 eps behind for JBL). I tried hard to be careful on the fanwall - but don’t think it’s working much. It gets kinda annoying sometimes when I want spoilers for INAR but spoilers for WPL came out at the same time. sigh. Being a beanie is hard sometimes.

I’m trying to not post spoilers on JBL anymore😅

I need spoilers for INAR too, lol, especially bts of what will be airing next week will be great, lol

Just realised that I wrote Wise Prison Break instead of Wise Prison Life LOL. 😅

Where is this fanwall for smart prison living???-
Now I am curious

Smart Prison Living: Lee Kyu-Hyung for life. I am a week behind because of subs, but that means I get to savor it longer.

INAR: The past couple of weeks have been so sad. I feed bad for Min Kyu because he has been lied too, but I also feel bad for Jia because she wanted to fess up but couldn't. AWWWW the feels. Also I realize A-Ji 3 is just Ji-A with the A in front.

Black Knight: I honestly don't care about the romance, but those 2 immortals are something else and very funny together.

Just Between Lovers: Halmae don't leave us. Also the love between the leads is just so very very sweet and true. Hopefully the noble idiocy is done.

Hwayugi: Reminds me why I liked the Hong Sisters. It is so much fun and puts a new twist on loving with your heart and not your mind. It's just wonderful.

"Jugglers: I actually stopped watching, there is something about the show that simply hasn't captured me and I'm sad because everyone else seems to be enjoying it."

I actually posted a couple of "what do you see in this show that I don't?" comments to try to work out why everyone loves this when I don't like it at all. All the comments are about how "cute" the OTP are. I think the OTP is terrible. It's not just that I'm not invested in it, it's that I actively dislike it. The whole "boss likes secretary because she's devoted to him" thing is not romantic and the female lead annoys the hell out of me.

So we'll just have to put it down to liking different things in dramas.

I feel the same about Jugglers.

Same here. I just can't get into the drama no matter how hard I tried. Definitely not into the OTP. But for me it was the boss that was annoying. I actually find the secretary quite cute. Yes, maybe different people just like different things.

I think I know why I felt something is off about Jugglers. All this time, I have been unconsciously comparing Daniel Choi's character to Lee Min Ki's in BTIOFL, Yoo Seung-Ho's in INAR, and Lee Jun-ho's in JBL. Their characters have at least one or two in common... shattered past, social awkwardness, childhood traumas, etc. So, I have seen these other actors with almost the same angst and they made an impact on me (even LMK's expessionless, straight face), but him in Jugglers, I do not feel empathy towards him. Also, I feel that the loveline was forced. Idk why. For me, the best boss-secretary romance I really enjoyed is Protect the Boss.

Protect the Boss is also my favorite boss-secretary kdrama. I liked how there was enough quirk in that drama to make the boss/secretary thing work and that the "mean girl" ended up being one of the most adorable second female leads and the heroine's friend.

Sorry I am late in this thread, but I wanted to add my cent. Although I am not watching jugglers because from the very beginning I disliked the OTP, I read the first recaps and disliked the story, so would I be watching, I most likely would also feel the same you do. And I agree with protect the boss as well. There, at least, the romance felt not thaaaat awkward (nevertheless I didn't ship them in the romance, because she became like a mother or a teacher for him). But then again, in protect the boss, the pairing was at the end kind of O.k. I remember watching that drama mostly for the comedy. And the second couple was as good as it got.

I feel the same about Prison Playbook and Hwayugi everyone is liking the show and shworing it with praise while i don't see anything i like and the OTP is terrible no chemistry, while i loved OSY to bits in Come Back Ahjushi I don't like her here, the character is boring.

To each their own prospective, I can't force myself to like what everyone like.

I've only watched one episode of Prison Playbook. It was ok but I haven't rushed to watch episode 2 yet.

I haven't watched any of Korean Odyssey yet because the Hong Sisters are my most-hated writers ever.

LMAO at "Hong Sisters are my most-hated writers ever." This is how I feel about Kim Eun Sook dramas.

@kafiyah-bello
*Googles Kim Eun Sook*
I think you have a friend in me indeed.
I haven't seen Heirs but I thought Descendants of the Sun was wildly overrated. I thought Secret Garden had some great stuff in it but also ended up being wildly overrated.
But then she was involved in Goblin. I don't think there's anybody left alive who's unaware of my hatred of this boring, meandering, distasteful piece of paedophilia.

@leetennant I'm living! rec me some dramas cause my respect for your taste buds is infinite now. sorry for the spam in your notifications lmao

@leetennant, yes yes, lol, She raises my equilibrium, I would have stopped Goblin after the first episode if not for my full love for Gong Yoo, but never again. As for recs, oh lord. I don't know what you've watched. But Forest Secrets, Age of Youth, Unkind Women but I don't know what you've watched. But it makes me happy I am not the only one, Kim Eun Sook is a terrible terrible writer.

@kafiyah-bello @vivanesca

Yes to Stranger (Secret Forest). Also, Circle. For a classic, I think Coffee Prince is really great.

My more controversial favourites are W and Jealousy Incarnate. I really enjoyed Chicago Typewriter, despite finding it a bit flabby and Signal because I thought it meandered but the ending was really great.

The ones I love and keep rewatching despite knowing just how flawed they are are Do Bong Soon, Healer, Reunited Worlds, I Hear Your Voice and Oh My Ghost.

Healer yes, flawed but they got the romance right. I didn't finish Strong Woman Do Bong Soo, I refuse, lol. Reunited Worlds did nothing for me either. It was missing something. I like I hear your voice. Oh my Ghost was just okay.

W, lost its way so I passed. I had many issues with Jealousy Incarnate. I have never been a superfan of dramas where a girl likes the guy, despite the fact that he treats her terribly and is nice sometimes. I loved Chicago Typewriter, in the beginning it was a little shaky, but I think it came together nicely. I also enjoyed Signal, except for when she got hysterical, which I felt was out of character and utterly unnecessary.

Coffee Prince is the reason why I love both Kdramas and Gong Yoo, lol. Circle was a lovely little drama.

As for my controversial and problematic dramas. First for me was Secret, it had so many flaws, but I was obsessed. I miss you is another one, but Yoon Eun Hye is one of my favs. I also really like a little OCN drama called Missing Noir M.

I could go on for days @leetennant, lol. I have seen over 100 dramas, but this is fun.

@kafiyah-bello @vivanesca
Ooh, you know what I also thought was surprisingly good? I Remember You aka Hello, Monster. I thought the ending was a bit underwhelming but otherwise it was great.

And I should never forget to mention Secret Love Affair, which was a work of art.

@leetennant, Yes, yes, Secret Love Affair was AMAZING and I hate adultery dramas, I actually didn't even think it was necessary for this drama, but it was so freaking good. Yes, I remember you is really good. Seo In Guk chooses such good projects. I only didn't finish High School King of Savvy and King's Mask, but I've loved everything else he was in.

@kafiyah-bello

*whispers*
My love of Highschool King of Savvy is my secret shame

To @kafiyah-bello: you should also watch shopping king louie. I did not know Seo In Guk before, but I have watched Shopping King at least twice, mostly because of him. And then I watched I remember you, because of him again, and now I am watching slowly the high school king.... he really likes to play a king, come to think of it.... Anyway.... shopping! You must go.

@javinne, I have seen Shopping King Louie. I love Seo In Guk, so I've seen everything he has been in except King's Mask, and I just couldn't finish High School King of Savvy. He and Gong Yoo are my favorite actors. In fact I actually think Seo In Guk maybe a better actor because he so fully immerses himself into his characters, from head to toe.

@kafiyah-bello @javinne
I completely agree. I think that Seo In Guk is a hugely-underrated actor. When I saw Reply 1997, I didn't really enjoy it but he was so completely different from his other parts, even in how he moves and speaks. He utterly becomes his characters. To be honest, what I love about Highschool is him. I find the character and his interpretation of it really original for a kdrama male lead. The female lead drives me bananas.

I watched Come Back Ahjushi right before Hwayugi and now I'm just disappointed. Her character in Hwayugi was a damsel in distress for the first few episodes which logically made no sense since she's been dealing with demons for over 20 years.

Exactly that's my point.

To the Oh Yeon-seo's defence : Her character is a damsel-in-distress,plain and less interesting in writing, but this role is actually quite hard to portray because she has to make a weak heroine as a loveable and relatable character and eventually win viewers' hearts. I'm glad she is doing this role instead, it can show her versatility despite of being known mainly for sassy heroines before. Cool and badass characters are easier to love, and also easier to cover any actors' weaknesses. However I do hope her character is given more development in the upcoming episodes especially we already got her backstory.

I know she has a different character in Hwayugi I don't want her to be sassy in every role that's not my complain, she lived her life dealing with demons she should've been more stronger and confident, I haven't watched episode 4 yet, she wants to force the monkey who petrayed her when she was young to save her whenever she's in trouble is a weak approach from the writer to make them fall in love, it's forced. Why does she needs saving why can't she protect herself like she did for 20 years, everyone around her is untrusted and has alterior motive. I don't like how weak the character is written, every other character in the drama is more interesting, it doesn't have to be sassy to be a good character.

It happens! I've given up on INAR (even though the INAR ferver seems to be going up) and did not like SWDBS, which a ton of people enjoyed. I've also dropped Jugglers. However, there are times when I also enjoyed things a lot of people enjoyed (Signal, Forest of Secrets, and currently Hwayugi), so I just relish those moments.

Ouf! I thought I was weird or somethg... I too dropped INAR after two attempts at watching it because it seemed to be so popular on this site. Same with Jugglers. I guess it really does come down to taste!

INAR is indeed hella adorable and had a lot of great moments, but my nerves couldn't take the lies and the dread of MinKyu finding out the truth. Jugglers was giving me a similar "waiting for the shoe to drop" dread too.

INAR had me the minute Jia 'destroyed Min Kyu's house of cards' to 'let the sunlight in'. I mean, that's the entire show right there. His life is a house of cards. She will bring it crashing down but in the end it'll let the sunlight in.

The whole show's use of visual metaphor is just fantastic. Plus it's super feminist and I'm a bit jaded by the gender issues in kdrama.

But taste is taste. It can feel weird when everybody seems to love something and you don't get it. I felt the same way about Goblin, which I thought was slow, boring, self-indulgent and borderline paedophilia. But it's one of the highest-rated shows ever. Go figure.

I'll admit to dropping it this week. I tried to stick with it but I just can't with the show.

I'm still watching Jugglers. Actually I don't find the couple realistic. Like a beanie commented some time back, they seem to be quite black and white, caricature, either 0 or 100.
Life motto can be thrown out in a matter of 1 episode.
I watch for Yoo and Wang secretary. And also the side characters. Especially this week's epilogue when they broke the 4th wall.

Oh yah, i also just watch for my love of Daniel Choi coz I liked him since his baby baced beauty days.

Baby faced beauty... typo, sigh

Tbh I did start getting more interested in Yul and Wangbi. I might just skip to their scenes bc I like the idea of them being friends/family for each other and I'm curious as to how the show will convey it. The main romance line is a bit much for me and like @ythorod87 (allysondragon) commented, after seeing other actors' portrayals of trauma (particularly in JBL) I wasn't really into Choi Daniel's character's backstory which felt more tropey and forced for the sake of getting the audience's sympathy. Just my two cents.

Yoo and Wang are the young chaebol director and the secretary who's lying about her age, right? Yeah their relationship was the only one I cared about. Not enough to keep watching when they're not the main OTP though.

I dropped it as soon as possible :-)

No need to be sad, because there are many popular drama in this site especially, not really captivated my attention. I'm enjoying Jugglers, but if they have casted someone else for female lead and not an actress that I like, I might not even bother to watch. LOL.

I'm enjoying Jugglers but I feel robbed. Initially I thought we would be learning more about the assistant world and why they're so important. I also expected to see some male assistants and female bosses 🤷