Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

Currently recapping: Hwayugi

I’m Not a Robot: To be honest I’m not very excited about the offerings at the moment, but I am glad to have this show around in this cycle, which makes me happy when Wednesday rolls around and there’s a new episode to watch, and then makes me sad on Thursdays when I have another week to wait again. The scheming corporate plotline is a bit eye-rolly (but thankfully only told in brief bursts), but the emotions are played so sincerely that I’m all in with the characters, from our leads down to their bumbling posse.

Longing Heart: Things are getting more interesting, and on the lighthearted beat I really enjoy how annoyed Future Shin-woo and Past Shin-woo get with each other. Plotwise I like the complication of the first love falling for the wrong Shin-woo, and how it’s exactly what he wanted and what he came back for, but directed toward the wrong version of himself. And while Future Shin-woo is mostly exasperated and comical, it’s hard not to feel for poor pining High School Shin-woo, who has no idea his main rival is himself (or that he’s trying to help him!).

Black Knight: This show does occasionally have the bizarre WTF gem that keeps me laughing, but it’s also getting increasingly dull, plotwise, and the more I watch, the more it threatens to chip away at my long-abiding love of Kim Rae-won. (He’s so smarmy here! Stoppit!) Shall I continue, or cut my losses? The see-saw continues to totter.

girlfriday

Currently recapping: Hwayugi

I’m Not a Robot: It was really hard to watch Yoo Seung-ho’s heart get ripped out repeatedly, because he just always makes me believe the emotions are real. It was worth going through all that pain (and more pain) to earn back the relationships the right way, though now I’m wondering what we’re going to fill the next two hours with. I hope not corporate takeovers, because zzzz.

Two Cops: What I learned about myself from watching this show: I have an inexplicable loyalty to Jo Jung-seok that overrides the common sense side of my brain. This show did nothing that surprised me and the romance was predictably uninspired, but at least I got a really cute bromance out of it. That’s something, right? I mean, not enough compared to how many hours I gave… but I’m not going down that road.

Jugglers: I don’t know that this show needed double separations and all that angst, especially since the office politics are so childish. But I liked Lee Won-geun’s storyline this week. He did some much-needed growing up, and his friendship with Daniel Choi is getting cuter by the day. Whoever thought to make them wear matching tracksuits at home deserves a cookie.

LollyPip

Currently recapping: Jugglers, Two Cops

Father Is Strange: I’m pretty late to this one, but practically everyone I know has been talking about it, so I decided to check it out. It took about half an episode to hook me completely, and now I’m around ten episodes in and just in love with this family. They’re so loving and quirky, and even when they’re angry with each other you can feel how much they truly love each other. I can’t wait for poor Joong-hee to become a part of that family, and finally receive the love he so desperately wants (and hoo boy, is Lee Joon bringing it for this one).

Solomon’s Perjury: I’ve been putting this one off for a while because I know it’s going to be a tough watch. But the recent In Defense Of post made me decide to start watching, and I was surprised how quickly I got pulled into these kids’ lives (confession—a coworker caught me crying while watching it on my lunch break!). I was right, some of the issues portrayed are difficult to watch, but I love these kids and their commitment to doing the right thing.

Hwayugi: It was a Hong sisters drama that got me addicted to Korean dramas years ago, and I’ve seen nearly all of them since then. I’ve been waiting four years for one that gives me that “OMG this is the most fun I’ve had in ever” feeling again. Hwayugi is delivering that feeling big-time for me—it’s been so long since I had a good belly laugh at such iconic clever dramaland in-jokes, tongue-in-cheek meta references, and just plain silly humor. Not to mention that the show is nearly perfectly cast, because I can’t imagine anyone else playing Oh-gong, Mawang, or even PK. The Hong sisters are back and so far, better than ever!

I’m Not a Robot: I don’t know what it is about Yoo Seung-ho, but he has a way of ripping out my heart and stomping it to bits that no other actor can match (maybe it’s those deep, expressive eyes?). And I’ve liked Chae Soo-bin ever since I first saw her in Sassy Go Go. The chemistry between the two of them is fantastic when it comes to their offbeat not-really-romance, and even though I’m behind on this show too, I can see that when the actual feelings get involved, together they’re going to break my heart completely.

dramallama

Hwayugi: After an unfortunate first week, this show has picked up momentum with its cheeky characters and story. This writing feels like the Hong sisters on their better days, and I’m really amused by the execution of these over-the-top characters with literal god complexes. Lee Seung-gi fluidly plays the likable asshole character and his irritable love for Sun-mi makes me chuckle. He loves her but he’s sooo mad about it, and I’m looking forward to how these enraging fake feelings change into real emotions. On the contrary, Sun-mi’s character seems dull in comparison to the rest of the cast, so I hope her mission to save the world pushes her to become the epic character that the show claims she is.

Smart Prison Living: I’m a few weeks behind, but I’m sure I’ll be binging these last couple episodes in no time because of how much this show has grown on me. The prison roommates’ loyalty for each other is precious, and I love the contrast of these inmates’ heinous crimes and their unexpected actions in prison. Most of them despise each other (except for teddy bear Min-chul), so it warms my heart that they look past their disagreements to protect their precious baseball star from all the real baddies of prison life. The running joke that Jun-ho is Je-hyuk’s die-hard fan never fails to crack me up, and even though almost everyone seems privy to their actual friendship by now, I love that they try to keep up the facade. The bromance between Je-hyuk and Jun-ho is definitely my favorite thing, but it’s really the whole cast—the inmates, guards, and the loved ones—that makes this something special.

mary

Just Between Lovers: (Up to Episode 5) I finally met the boy behind Kang-doo’s hallucinations and of course Moon-soo also has guilty feelings about him, because why not? This show is just a lasagna of tragedy layered over tragedy with a sprinkling of cute and a huge dollop of creamy tragedy sauce on top. The irony being, Kang-doo seems more well-adjusted to life than the other survivors and bereaved, despite being the one in the most shitty situation (physically and financially speaking.)

Smart Prison Living: (Up to Episode 11) Captain Na has been missing this week! I can’t help but appreciate the tension he brings to our prison. In all fairness to him, he seems like the only guy in this universe that got the memo that this is a show with hardened criminals and harsh jail routines. Everyone else is acting like it’s Buam-dong Revenge Club: Prison Brothers Edition. Toothbrush-stabber came in this week to add a bit of conflict, but I’m not that worried about Je-hyuk anymore. I hope the show will dive more into Jun-ho’s story instead, because last week’s drunk confession made me so invested in his character.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Hello beanies, Just wrapped up my exams and had a lot to catch upon

Nothing to Loose: I once commented stating I have no idea why I keep on watching it. I binged watch about 12 episodes Last night. The script has lotss of holes, but the actors did their job. Despite its flaws, this drama was an eye opener for me, it was like the world is a cruel place though I kinda knew it before. Even though fiction Lots of injustices happens in this world and not like a drama that the bad guys are always caught. In real life, it is not the same some bad people use the law to get away. When I realised who the culprit was (don’t want to mention so as to avoid spoilers for those who haven’t watched), I was shocked, and it made me to remember a line from the drama missing 9 (can’t remember the exact words or who said it) but it was something like; even after surviving the plane crash and life in Island he was hurt when he came to society, meaning humans are much scarier. That thought sacred me, and it still does. That’s why I love the line from I need romance 3 “everyone is a stranger except me”………..

Master in the house: this is my first variety show which I started to watch cos of Lee san yoon, Lee sun gi and Yook sung jae but I never knew I will understand life better through their first master Joen In Kwon, he said something like: you don’t have to be perfect, if you put in your efforts is enough. Everyone one has a time to shine don’t worry it will be your turn soon. I am very obsessed about my grades, needing to be the best and perfect but while listening to him singing in the show, I was in tears and I felt relieved like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, it felt as far as I am putting in efforts that’s what matters. I will love some beanies to check out the 3 episodes that was aired, yes its funny and I laughed hard till my tummy ached but I learnt something that will be with me for life. Like he said even life has its own rhythm……

My little bride: just decided to check it out while going through youtube. I really enjoyed it. Seeing the young Kim rae won and Moon young geun, it was fun. I realised Shin se kyung was in the movie too and they are both acting in Black knight together…..a form of reunion after how many years??????

Untouchable: never knew this drama will be good, kept me on the edge. The acting, script and infact everything in it was good for me.

Jugglers: Just wonder when and how nemesis will catch up on cho cutter....

Black Knight: the romance is sweet but is it weird that I empathize with Sharon?? I am yet to watch the latest episode.

Return: I love the acting of all the actors so on point. I read a lot of comments on how Na ra could be the killer, I hope she is as I see a lot of myself in her but drama has lots of twist which could happen that seems plausible but logically is not (i am looking at you nothing to loose). I look forward to how the plot unravels....

oh you are just starting.. korean variety is amazing.. i started to like them more than the dramas.. and yes this one is really good

if it nara, wow, I really don't see how that happe.
I think I just want to retain some positivity and kindness in the drama.

If it is Nara, that would a be a very shocking twist. Now this theory made me want to re-watch her scenes to analyze her expressions.

Yea you should you might notice sth different....

Master In the House is my first variety show too!

Welcome to the club

I really liked Nothing to Lose. It could have been really better with a better writting but I realized I couldn't help to stare the face of Park Eun Bin and Yeon Woo Jin that show how great is their acting. And you can add the charismatic Dong Ha ! I liked their friendship :) I think all the current dramas are weak in their writting like INAR, Jugglers, Black Knight, Two Cops, etc. So it's the actors who can save the plot and in this drama, they are great.

I’ve wondered if Nara could possibly be the killer too. But we have barely scratched the surface of this one and I have a sneaking suspicion that our guesses will change multiple times. So many possible baddies!

Oh, and Master of the House is so good! Last episode brought the tears during that song. Such a touching moment.

Side note: I live in the US and can I just say how refreshing it is to see men cry and have it not be a big deal? I love how they share their emotions as boldly and unabashedly as the women do.

yea it is refreshing for me too....

I also thought Na Ra could be the killer. I just hope she's not Otherwise, it's just another predictable villain right.

I have been actively avoiding varieties even though I see so many beanies comment about them. Because if my drama addiction is causing me so many sleepless nights due to 'just one more episode', I shudder to think what adding a new form of addiction to the mix will do to me ;)

wow, thinking of that....I am shuddering for you too...but you really should try master in the house. its just one episode per week...so kinda flexible ryt????

Okay I have lost my measly resolve.
I just looked it up and Lee Seung Gi and Yook Sung Jae!
I think I might just give this a shot.

What's a drama slump? So many shows on the To Watch List but not feeling like starting any. Only following Just Between Lovers live at the moment. Planning to marathon INAR, SPL, Money Flower and Hwayugi.

"So many shows on the To Watch List but not feeling like starting any." - I think that's a drama slump right there, haha!

Tbh I feel like I'm slipping into one right now. I've been watching INAR and Jugglers live, and I understand most of it, so the inertia to properly watch subbed episodes is lowwww and I'm also losing interest. Always a bad sign! I have a bit more free time now, but no mood to watch anything. I've been getting recommendations for Just Between Lovers, but again... I don't feel like starting anything new. :(

Same about slipping into a slump. I’m going to watch specials for a while until I feel in the mood for something new (Waikiki hopefully?)

There have been too many slumps recently! :( I was in a bad one until WYWS and BTLIOF and I thought things were going uphill when I started Jugglers, INAR and BK... but now suddenly none of them are doing it for me. At least Hwayugi is going great BUT the subs come out so slowly and that's making me watch the episodes raw (which I think is contributing to my slump, really). Fingers crossed!! x

Hello Beanies!

Hwayugi - YES, I finally got the guts to try some episodes. I really really wanted to watch it after keeping up with recaps, because it sounds hilarious... and I watched a couple of episodes with a friend! Thankfully, I already read the recaps so I knew when the creepy things were going to appear (erm I minimized the screen LOL)... and I love this show! It's hilarious, and Oh-gong is all sorts of swoony. I haven't really watched a LSG show before so this is going great for me.

INAR - Eh, the show seems to have gone on a bit of a downhill for me. I was not really a huge fan of the long, drawn out angst and tears and angsty-Min-kyu and this week kind of made me a little confused because he was being downright nasty (oi, violence) and suddenly there seemed to be a 180 degree change. Can't say I'm a fan of that!

Jugglers - They continue to be so, so cute. Hehe. Another thing I'm really interested in seeing is Yul and Jung-Ae's development.

Black Knight - I can't believe myself but I'm actually still watching. I'm just so interested in Sharon and Becky and how they will break the curse. AND Jeom-bok! There has to be a lot more development in that area. The romance scenes make me roll my eyes (it went from 0 to 100 in the span of 1 epsiode, is this a trend in Dramaland now?) but I really wanna see all the bad things that happen to people who go against Soo-ho! Am I... evil too?

I agree, Mingyu did seem to forgive her a bit quickly, but I pretty much just went with it because cute Mingyu is far more watchable than angsty crying Mingyu, lol

I was also thrown by the 180 but I think deep down he had already forgiven her a long time ago (from how he waited for her to show up). It's just that he was still feeling hurt, especially when she didn't show, so that magnify the angst.

But once he understood she felt what he felt all along, it was just a matter of embracing it instead of letting it slip away again.

On another note, Yoo Seung Ho is the prettiest cryer I've ever seen.

Same case for black knight. Sharon feels like the only interesting character. You don't know what craziness she might spring up next. The romance is tiring for me

I feel that Min Kyu had some arrested development which makes him a lot more childish than other guys. I think the anger was just his way of processing things. Plus being a guy, we're wired differently. We like to get everything out in the open, and then we're good. Girls are the ones that never forget a slight and will hold it against you until even after you die -- as in speaking to your headstone or urn "I told you not to walk across the street just as the truck of doom is around the corner".

Plus, Jia came clean with everything, so that helped to mollify him. More importantly, he realized deep down that he got his wish, that the robot was human. He also claimed he would recognize the rabbit if it became real as well. Most importantly, he actually experienced a real life when he had Jia in his life, and deep down he knows that she is the key to healing his disease, such as it is. Taking all this into consideration, it's not so much a 180 but more of him trying to gather all of his eggs into the right basket so that he can come to the conclusion that he really wanted. He may not be able to articulate it, but his subconscious is actually ecstatic that Hong Joo is really Aji 3, er President Jo, um I mean Jia -- the true love of his life and the person that will allow him to be as real as she is!

I agree. 💯👍

Your explanation is both insightful and hilarious. (My husband agrees with 100% btw!!!) 😂😂😂

"This show is just a lasagna of tragedy layered over tragedy with a sprinkling of cute and a huge dollop of creamy tragedy sauce on top."

Man, I can't watch that! I dehydrated myself with Marriage Contract and Dear My Friends. But I really want to watch Junho, so maybe I'll drink a gallon of water and do a marathon...

Junho is so pretty. The show is really good as well, but Junho is just so pretty, lol

But...but... the tragedy lasagna is fantastically made!! I can't get enough of it!

In all seriousness though, JBL is interesting because it shows you the aftermath of tragedy. The characters are so real and although it makes you cry at times, that only makes the payoff of seeing them happy & healing even better. It pays off (admittedly the first few episodes were emotionally intense). But meh, give me another scoop of tragedy lasagna please!!

Oh...and Junho...😍😍😍😍

Yes, it is a sad story, but the thing is it makes the happy moments like when the characters know that they are not alone, when they find that someone actually sees and cares for them, happy moments when you find comfort in strangers who become your family, all those happy moments shine brighter and I don't know it's hard to explain, but like they say: stars shine brightest in the dark

Every episode of JBL makes a part of my heart ripped but it is totally worth it.

I’m not into sad dramas, but this show is different. Even among all the sadness there is HOPE, HEART, and fighting spirit that makes you feel everything will be okay. Plus Junho is SO GOOD in this show.

Do it! You may be okay in the tears department. I ugly cried at almost every episode of Marriage Contract but have not done that for JBL. I think for me, even though their past is so tragic, the fact that they’ve come together for healing, happiness and love makes this have an element of relief and hope that the sadness is almost over for them.

But, does anyone else worry that this story will go all “they meet and fall in love and then one of the leads dies but the other lead can now live a better life for having known them.”? I’ve been afraid of that for awhile now. Because that would be too sad - there MUST be a happy ending!

Hmm, interesting. I'll see how it ends then before I give it a try. Luckily @peeps is recapping it.

I desperately hope that doesn't happen. If he dies, my laptop is going out the window!

only that?
We are some who are going to hunt the writer down if sth bad happens to our Kang Doo!

Yup, I had to put this on pause because if one of the both of the leads are not alive and well by the end of this drama it will be too much for my poor heart. I will watch if I find out that they are okay, maybe even if they don't but as long as I am mentally prepared in advanced.

Right now, I'm only watching I Am Not A Robot and Kai's Japanese drama, Spring Is Here.
After bawling my eyes out at Andante finale last week, it's nice to see Kai in another role. This one is much different than his Lee Shi-kyung character. Kai is not necessarily the best acting idol out there, but I really like his character in Spring Is Here. The drama itself is also pretty fascinating, even if a bit confusing at first.

I'm about 4 eps behind on Andante but do intend on finishing it. I haven't looked up Spring Is Here so I don't know what it's actually about. Is it a melo?

I think the show is about the heroine since she narrates the story. She's a woman in her 30s who works at a lingerie boutique and she meets Kai's character one day at a photo shoot. He's a Korean Japanes-based magazine photographer. They hit it off, but the characters have a lot of secrets. Her teenaged sister might be working at a hostess bar for under aged girls, her father might be having an affair, and her new boyfriend (Kai's character) might have some skeletons in his closet.

Hmmm, interesting. I usually watch one or two j-doramas a year so maybe this will be one of them, lol

Wait... what??

Yeah, the first episode got off to a slow start, the first 75% of the premiere was setting up the OTP's relationship, but the characters' secrets started coming out in the 25% towards the end of the first episode.

I'm Not a Robot : Minkyu and Jia reconcile. Yay! I feel so happy when Jia finally can tell Minkyu that she loved him too. I cried along with her in that scene. It surely become one of my favorite dramas because it managed to makes me fully invested in its universe that i feel sad when the characters are sad and happy when they're happy too. Last time it happened when i watch While You Were Sleeping. I hope when INaR ended there will be another drama which can make me like this too.
Hwayugi : Does Son Ohgong know the geumganggo power is frozen by Frosty? I think it doesn't make sense if he doesn't feel the cold on his wrist, he's sensitive to cold, right? About PK and Buja, I can't picture them in romantic relationship but I wouldn't mind if they have a loveline. I don't know why but I have a feeling that Buja's death have a connection with the ultimate villain whoever he/she is.
Doubtful Victory : When I relieved that Jongsam has no connection with Gook Sooran's child's birth secret, another birth secret possibility come up. I would be really annoyed if Lee Kwangho killed Jongsam's mother because she was his mistress who gave birth his illegitimate son. I don't want Jongsam to be that man's child.
Two Cops : It's not as fun as I expected. I just finished this just to know how it ends. Till the end i still feel that the OTP actors is a mismatch.

I'm loving Mysterious Il Seung right now. It has turned into a makjang police drama, if that's a thing. I just feel like they had too many episodes to fill, so they were just spinning their wheels for a bit, and then the writer said, oh, forget it, I'm just going to throw everything I can think of in there. The end result is super entertaining, at least for me.

I lol-ed at the makjang police drama. I can't say I've ever heard of that before. HAHAHA

Re:Hwayugi
Hmm.. even I was wondering the same...
The writers could drive around the potential plot hole if they clarify some things regarding the gods' powers. For example if Frosty's powers are defined as just freezing in general (as in freezing time, making it snow, also ice creams lol) then it makes sense that SOG didn't feel the cold, because Frosty didn't physically freeze the geumganggo but instead froze the powers of the geumganggo (figuratively speaking). Then SOG would realise Frosty's intervention only because he was no longer under the hold of the geumganggo and therefore had an irresistible urge to eat Sam Jang and was no longer in lobe with her. But he doesn't realise the power freezing going on because he still feels he is in love and attributes it to the geumganggo's powers. So basically a figurative extension of his general freezing powers.

Still loving the two shows that I'm watching right now. And now that the angst part is over in INAR, all is right in my kdrama world 💃🏻💃🏻

I'm Not A Robot: Ep 27 is perfection ❤️❤️❤️ I watched it so many times (and I really mean a lot - "nothing else got done that morning till evening" kind of a lot) that Internet decided it has enough, buffered non-stop and refused to show me the cute. Whatever Internet, you are not my mother!

Prison Playbook: This show just knows how to get me but the 1-week lag in subbing is killing me now that I'm all caught up - #[email protected]&% Netflix! And the spoiler about Looney this week just hurts me. Need time to process that 😖 Hopefully I will be ready to deal with it when the subs are out next week - #[email protected]&% PD/Writer-nim!

Dude I know I watched ep 27 IN FULL trice now. Idk whats wrong me 😳

Only thrice? 😂😂😂 Yup, what's wrong with us?

I love I Am Not A Robot so hard. Also, I think I might be a bit sadistic because I thoroughly enjoyed his explosive anger when Ji-ah came to his house late after he waited all day and then threw his glass at the display case and shattered it.

It was a necessary catharsis. I loved that scene too because, while it may seem a bit unfair to Jia, he needed to vent his feelings about it. The fact that Jia quietly and unquestioningly took it made the scene even better. Getting that anger out of the way was the reason he was able to talk everything through rationally later on. And it showed that Jia was willing to let him go through that process without getting defensive herself. She knew he needed it.

1,000% agree with you! You absolutely take the words out of my mouth but more eloquently of course. I’m not a proponent of violence but I thought that scene was rather realistic and needed for him to vent. And I agree with Jia’s non-action. It may be viewed as weak and meek on her part by some viewers but for me, she is intuitive and know how best to handle such a situation because if someone is that angry, the last thing you should do is try to justify/defend your action because that will only make the person more angry (no matter how right the justification) And I’m speaking from a personal experience. So bravo!

I was saving it for the recap but I think that scene is important because his instinct was to run and hide like he did before but instead he confronted her. It was evidence of his growth as a character that he wanted to crawl back into his bubble but couldn't. And evidence of her that she didn't let him.

Thank you for that. So well articulated. I also loved that scene and think it was so necessary.

why do you never join our fanwall flailing, waiting for recaps to hear your thoughts is mean!
I also think that we've just pretty much seen Min-kyu go through 5 stages of loss (but not necessarily in a correct order). I loved seeing his anger to be honest, it was a remnant of his early days in the show. And he deserved to say how betrayed it all made him feel. And I absolutely love angst if it's resolved in a satisfying way (and this show is nothing if not satisfying me at every turn - it's kind of tragic actually).
e27 was about his need for closure, I doubt he was planning on forgiving her when he called out to her via heart lamp. Jia is just irresistable.

I'm trying not to see or read or hear anything about Prison Playbook before I can watch the final episodes next week, lol. I don't really think too much can be spoiled, it's not that kind of show, but I'm trying to avoid them anyway. It's one of the very few shows that has extra-long episodes but still leaves me wanting more every week.

I'm behind and saw some spoilers before watching the episodes, and you're right that it's not that kind of show where things can be spoiled. The joy in watching this drama isn't in the big moments or reveals, but in all those little moments - an offhand comment here or a small gesture that no one thinks much of- that the writer takes so much care to develop and include.

Yes, exactly. Like in one episode, the camera shows Je Hyuk from the chest up. He stands up and they chat for a while and then the camera pans out and you see Hanyang lying down patting the ground, because Jehyuk disturbed his pillow when he stood up, lol. Like, that's a tiny random moment but it stuck with me

Yes, I love those little moments too - they made the viewing so much more enjoyable and special and heart-warming.

YES! This! I've been avoiding spoilers (well, tried to) even though it's not that kind of show. I guess I just don't want to accept that it's over (even if it's not over for me yet since hello Netflix). HUHUHU

Netflix takes forever to sub!

Well, they're only one week behind for non-Americans, lol

Let's see, right now I just finished two cops, and well, it was like eating at McDonalds, you don't really feel that good after you eat, but it did fill a void, and some of it wasn't too bad.

The other drama I'm watching is of course I'm Not a Robot. The last few weeks I've been dropping tears all over the place. Watching the parting of the poor little rich boy with his new found friends and love has been quite heartbreaking, and oh so satisfying. Episode 27 was pretty much just our two main characters sitting together and talking, letting out their feelings, and just being honest with each other, and it was really great. They should have saved the money on outdoor lighting and CGI effects, etc, and just filmed them in a warm sauna, and it would have been just as good and everyone would have been more comfortable. The feels were there and I loved every minute of it!

Oh no, that setting of the giant tree and the starry sky and the meteors was just perfect fantasy. This show is perfect.

*wipes tears of laughter* Such a good metaphor. I'll take that with a side of tragedy lasagna.

But alas, they had to shoot on site because of the significance of the meteor shower. I too wished they were somewhere warmer. But am also glad they did not sacrifice quality due to ratings. They consistently delivered even under the most unfavorable conditions.

I have a feeling that wasn't on site, but a set. I suppose the trees were real, but the meteor shower seemed rather fake. I have never seen meteors go up.

At first I also thought it was a set, but I saw it in a BTS clip that it was an actual site. Everything was real, except there were no stars in the sky and of course, the meteor was CGI. Still in awe over the team's commitment.

I did an actual spit take when I read this, as I was (for the first time in years) eating a McDonalds breakfast at the time. And yeah, it's EXACTLY like that.

Hi Beanies! Some squeals came out this week while drama watching. How about you guys?
*Just Between Lovers: Oh Gang-dooah, Gang-dooah, wherefore art Gang-dooah! I’m so glad he gave himself and Moon-soo the chance to be happy together. Let's just get through the next couple of weeks happily, yes?!
*I’m Not A Robot: Was there a goofy looking grin on my face after episode 27? Yes, yes there was!
*Running Man: Get you a friend like HaHa’s that just shows up like five minutes after he calls you and helps you out. So funny!
*Master in the House: I was laughing out loud the whole time, but it did have a very touching ending from the first master. I admit that I teared especially since I was going through something that day and was already emotional. I love how they said to embrace your eccentricity. I need to do a little more self-love this year.
*NJTTW Spinoffs: After catching up with NJTTW last year, I was finally able to get to the spinoffs they made thanks to Song Finger. YoF:Winner was short and sweet. I laughed/cringed way too much at the fake commercial! Kang’s Kitchen was funny as well. I especially enjoyed the dramatic endings😂!

The dramatic endings in Kang's Kitchen are so funny and even if I know they're coming, they still come unexpected and I laugh so hard. HAHAHA

I want a Kang's Car Wash now!

You could tell the production team had fun when editing. The last one caught me off guard when they saw they couldn't even afford their own food with the mpney they earned. Baahaha!

All that hard work and they can't even order one. Hahaha! Kang's Kitchen made me crave for everything in their menu. This week alone I've made kimbap twice (different ingredients than Sugeun's though).

I MISS THEM ALREADY. I want this group of people to be together forever huhuhu ALL THE TIME

I literally just went to the store to buy some meat for some cutlets!😂

@pbnjelly513 LET ME COME OVER~~~ Hahaha!

I'm actually planning to rewatch the episode where Chef Baek Jeong Won taught them. I want to recreate their roux and sauce and everything. I want to make Jaehyun's omurice!

@whoopeeyoo How great would it be to have Beanies over to eat the food we see in our shows together huh! Everything looked so good, but I'm not a great cook so I'll stick to just making the cutlets lol😂

Jugglers: Im watching it for it's comedy. Exacty my cup of tea after a cold day outside. The romance delivers. I was honestly expecting noble idiocy this week from our main couple but they stood strong, which was a refreshing first.

I am not a robot: OMG: min ku's rant to Jia had me BAWLING my eyes out. that monologue was sooo long and sooo perfectly acted. yes, the second episode *finally* had jia and MinKyu clearing things up, but for me the highlight was his outburst. The guy honestly has superb acting skills. (PS how is this show not a melodrama?)

Hwayugi: one word: fun. let's see how it copes out this week. (can the subs pleeeasse come out faster??)

JBL: finally a cute episode after all that angst. I loved this show, but I'm getting tired of feeling sad and sorry for everyone. (Not blaming the show, it IS it's genre after all) but like seriously, the characters keep getting slapped in the face. Someone give KangDoo a chance hahaha

how is this show not a melodrama?

I think you hit the nail on the head here. It is a melodrama dressed up as a fun 'n frothy rom-com ... until it punches you in the gut and wrings out your heart.

Feeling the slump pretty bad these days~

You know what I'm in the mood for? Something like "Moon Lovers" - as Mindy Kaling once said "If you're going to be a mess, might as well be a HOT MESS"...

I just want a really good, addicting, hot mess of a drama that I can't keep away from even though I know it's bad for me...le sigh.

You should try fashion king,lol

"Doctor Jin" too and you must read Heads' recaps.

I miss Heads' recaps. Why is there no decent sageuk worth fangirling over these days? The last time we had fun was during Six Flying Dragons.

Lol at dr Jin days..... Seung Seung Hoon acting is also helping the drama make it alot of worse based on recap I see. I swear I can't watch it because it's technically medical drama. but headsno2 recap is hillarious.

Still living in my IANR-shaped dramaverse. While I was unsure about last week's developments, this week I was 100% on board. Not sure what I'm going to do with myself when the show is over...

We could create an INAR survivors club. It will involve rewatches, gin and Curse You, Tilda t-shirts. I'm going to miss this little gem so much.

I'm all for gin and rewatches - though it might make me extra wordy. Psychoanalyzing MK is still ok, but if I start talking about Turing tests and the future of AI please prepare an intervention.

Judging from my comments (and the ones I've prepared in anticipation for this week's recaps), it'll be an intervention they'll be preparing for both of us.

Although there was almost no discussion of the philosophical aspect of loving a robot and whether Min-kyu's assertion that everything was fake because Aji-3 was a robot really is defensible, I still found myself re-reading Turing's seminal paper (https://www.csee.umbc.edu/courses/471/papers/turing.pdf), which I read years ago in a both a philosophy of mind class and in a comp sci class, as well as arguments for and against qualia. It woulda been cool if there was some discussion of this, but eh, you can't have everything. Anyway, INAR I'm watching them flutters, not hard hitting philosophy, so I'm not complaining.

I've been wondering if they're going to pull something for the last two episodes. Like they get Aji3 and she manages to convince them she's Jia. That seems a liiiittttlle far fetched but if they could pull it off it would be pretty awesome.

The final scene in this episode was a clear nod to Ex Machina, which was about a Turing Test.

I'm glad it seems to have a solid fanbase on here because it doesn't seem to be rating well in Korea, which is disappointing

I'm sad for them because the overall quality of the show is so high (in terms of acting, execution, directing, etc). That requires a lot of dedication and hard work and it should be rewarded more. That said, I rarely care about ratings. If anything, high ratings in Korea are good at predicting which shows I will not like.

Yep. I can't think of an example when I wasn't underwhelmed by a high-rating drama or even actively disliked it. Almost all my favourite shows are these little low-rating cable gems.

I seem to go to and fro. Sometimes I'll love a show that Korea hated, and sometimes I'll be right on board with Korea. Like Prison Playbook. That rated really well and it's also my favourite show on at the moment.

I think Coffee prince is the last show where I was on board the Korean popularity fest. Can't think of a single example since. I suppose Healer and City Hunter were doing reasonably well in the polls but nothing spectacular...

@charlieblue17
Coffee Prince was great.
I only recently watched City Hunter and thought it was practically a spoof it was so bad. Lee Min Ho is the most unconvincing vigilante ever.
In contrast, I enjoyed Healer a lot despite its numerous flaws. It's one of the few shows I rewatch.

@leetennant

I clearly have a thing for love under false pretences. 90% of the shows I have ever liked fit the category. City hunter was particularly well suited to my kinks to the point that I found LMH wildly attractive (for the one and only time). I am not sure what I would think about it now, though. Among my strict but unwritten rules is one that prevents me from rewatching shows that I used to love. Just to avoid disappointment. :-P

I care about ratings simply because I feel like the actors and crew don't feel as appreciated if they think no one is watching. And that makes me sad, especially when it's for a show I like so much.

This show isn't doing that bad in Korea because it is cable.Just multiply the ratings by two,that's the rule :-)

INAR isn't a cable show. It's on MBC. :( So yeah, the ratings ARE pretty dismal, sadly.

Ratings don't factor into my enjoyment of a show at all one way or another--I adore the popular Answer Me series as well as the woefully underappreciated I Remember You--but I do feel bad for the cast and the crew when a show seriously under-performs in the ratings department. Also, there is always the fear that the episode count will be cut, although I'm thankfully seeing a lot less of that lately.

Thanks,so it is a MBC show. Ratings do matter in terms of commercial success.
Interestingly international audiences' and Koreans' preferences tastes do not match :-)

'Preferences&tastes in most cases'......sorry

Yeah, if it was a cable show it would be okay, lol

Ugh. I'm dreading for INAR to end. Plus, I'm not happy about the corporate machinations that are already taking time away from Minkyu and Jia together on my screen.

I'll probably pick up an already finished drama after this. Maybe Solomon's Perjury and Strongest Deliveryman, due to the strong In Defense Of posts that I read from beanies. Or I might just end up re-watching INAR for the nth time.

I was waiting, waiiiiting for this week’s “what we’re watching” to roll around cause I was dying to know what you guys thought about I’m Not a Robot. Now I on the East coast can sleep peacefully ✌🏽

I've dropped Black Knight, although I keep thinking "Should I go back to it?" But no, after what Javabeans said, I'm definitely leaving it in the Dropped pile.

I will be starting Hwayugi now, I was waiting until the issues were all cleared up and it was airing properly on schedule before picking it up.

And lol Mary, you're not wrong about Prison Playbook. I love it so much I'm putting it in both my Best Of 2017 list and my Best of 2018 list, but they do get treated by the Officers like they're not a bunch of criminals. That said, I think Junho and Paeng have both told the others not to get close to them because they're all bad guys. But I think Paeng decided to make the best of it, whereas Na is just a douche.

Watching unified korean flag on the news gave me The King 2 Hearts flashback and drove me to rewatch the drama. Dropped Money Flowers after one episode, I just realized it's not my drama. I'm still noy ready for Makjang.
My watch list for this week:
Just Between Lovers, am obsessed with this drama.
Prison Playbook, I love this drama more than any reply series. I'm still furious with Reply 1988, didn't finish Reply 1997 and still not interesting to start Reply 1994. I read the news that there will be a new season Prison Playbook. Maybe this time would be a story of female penitentiary 😀
Bad Guys 2, apparently It's still watchable for me. I can handle blood and violence as long as the story is not absurd. I really like the casts too.
Punch, I immediately got headache from so many details in the first episode. Maybe I'm gonna drop this drama at some point.

I thought the first Bad Guys was really really bad. But I watched it all anyway due to my love for PHJ. I was ready to give Bad Guys 2 a miss and then they cast Jisoo. So now I have to watch it, right? Damn you, show. Expect complaints from me when I finally start it.

why are you still furious with Reply 1988? real life is better than fan fiction, right?
; )

Wise Prison Life: Hanyang! 😭 Jehyeok turned Crony 180 degrees. 😝 So sad this is ending. I am looking forward to Season 2.

Black Knight: So weird! Sharon is weirder! She’s both funny, sometimes endearingly tragic, and mostly just pure evil. Even after living for 200 years, she has not learned anything. 🤔

Hwayugi: Aye, the monkey is inlove! 😍

Jugglers: Skipping the main storyline. Bromance, yay! 🤗

Just Between Lovers: Emotions!

My Golden Life: Jisoo-Hyuk dating seems forced. Next will be bro and little sister. Relationships falling in place, but I know Jian-DK will get together in probably episode 49 (out of 50?) because ANGST! 🤦‍♀️😂

I’m Not a Robot: We have a rogue robot! Glad the cute is back because I think I shed a tear with Yoo Seungho’s acting. I never cry no matter how sad a drama is. I find myself weird and cold that I am actually happy he can make me cry. 😄

All the Butlers: Seunggi is indeed a veteran in variety shows. Sangyon’s blank face and lost expression is hilarious.

2 Days 1 Night: International trip was cringy and funny.

I LOLed like crazy when it occurred to me what was happening between Je Hyuk and Crony.

For someone so dumb, I was really impressed with his perceptive process that Crony needs an Alpha. Crony can’t function without it. They even ‘fought’ to get him from out of the other gang. And it was so funny too. Hanyang had band-aids all over his face for imaginary fight wounds. Collars up. Open shirts. They even had a choreo on which prop to go first, only Kaist can’t handle his gasoline gallon well and Captain Yoo went ahead with the chainsaw. My sides hurt watching it. 🤣

That bit made me laugh so hard, I almost cried. Then that episode made me cry, real heartbreaking cries, can't-breathe-can't-see-the-screen cries too. SHOW PLAYING WITH MY FEELINGS

I didn’t cry because I am so weird I hate myself. But show made me feel miserable in that episode. It was so sad. Even more so when they’ve decided something I wasn’t ready for. I was yelling ‘no! wae?! wae?! wae?!’ at my screen.

@abcde You're not weird. I'm just a crybaby, is all. You felt miserable! It means you feel things, your tear ducts aren't just on overdrive like mine. Hahaha! Kaist leaving was spoiled for me but I still felt so sad because while I expected it already, I didn't expect how it would go down. HUHUHU

@whoopeeyoo, I know! They were cleaning, very excited he’s coming and then show played them. Kaist was ready to go then show played him. Dang! Coupled with his family, I was thinking how horrible it was. I felt traumatized.

Then following episodes with Hanyang, it was done really well. Soundtrack, hanyang’s portrayal, just so good. 👌👍

And then when the cellmates were like "how could they do that?!", the prison guard was scornfully like "puh-lease. you're criminals, and you don't have rights and we don't need to tell you anything! this isn't a club" :(

Right? Paeng’s ‘mistreatment’ of them is a cover for his marshmallow insides. That guard, on the other hand, is truly evil! Psh!

Prison is supposed to help rehabilitate these people. The least they could do is respect them. No need for hugs, special treatment, secret chicken. Be on your guard, but respect the person too, especially with their good record while inside the prison. There are different kinds of criminals. Ones that should be helped change, ones to ignore, and those who should rot in hell. That cell is far from being truly evil, they also showed good behavior while in prison. I could go on and on with this rant. I could feel my bp rising. 😂😂😂😂

"Everyone else is acting like it's Buam-dong Revenge Club: Prison Brothers Edition"

Oh @mary that's hilarious 😂😂😂 and I am also part of that everyone but I also understand Capt. Na's position and defended him to my friend on why he acted the way he did, that despite his actions he is not the villain in the show. Love how the show portray the characters - not all black and white. And that's true to life

Drama slump is a thing and I am preparing my hard drive for when INAR ends. I can't imagine I'll find a show to replace it any time soon but I have yet to watch 'Because This Life is My First' so will queue that up week after next. Hope it lives up to expectations.

INAR: Shaping up to be my favourite show ever. I just love every minute of it and am so disappointed it's finishing. If it doesn't end well, I may burn my television or something equally as drastic. What can I say? The Black fiasco has left scars.

Doubtful Victory: This is so variable that I'm not sure why I'm still watching. I just find the Adventures of Scrappy and the Giant weirdly compelling. But enough with the birth secrets, already!

Two Cops: Like @girlfriday I'm realising that I have an inexplicable loyalty to Jo Jung-seok that overrides the common sense side of my brain. I stuck with this to the very-disappointing end and can't say I was impressed.

Jugglers: From what I've heard about how this has progressed, I'm so glad I dropped it. I found it unwatchable.

Smart Prison Living: Didn't grip me with the one episode I watched but maybe after INAR ends I'll dive back in. It is on Netflix after all.

This weekend's bingewatch is Who Are You but it's more like a binge fast-forward on account of it being really bad.

I have it so much worse. When I really like a show I can't watch anything else during or for a fairly long time afterwards. Which effectively means I have at most 2 beloved dramas a year, usually 1. I'm pretty sure IANAR is it for 2018. So rewatches will have to do for the foreseeable future.

That's because you probably have a life. ;-)

nope, that's not it. I am just a particular kind of obsessive. Laser sharp focus one might call it. Same with songs: I fall in love with one, listen to it to exhaustion. Then eventually move on. [and yes, that gin is already making me wordy]

Wait... did you literally get into the gin? That's awesome. I'm on antibiotics and am saving my gin drinking till next week.

@leetennant
Yep. 1 G&T for me.
I'm going to be on a strict diet starting next week in prep for surgery so it's my last chance for a while. Was a good idea...

@charlieblue17
I'm always full of good alcoholic ideas. Good luck with the surgery.

I'm kinda like you. I can only livewatch one drama because I obsess over it. Then the next drama cycle, I sometimes don't even watch anything because I'm still hung up on one. I only get to watch dramas when I binge them or binge near the end to join the finale party. Hahaha!

I really want to livewatch good dramas too. Oftentimes I try to stop myself from picking up fresh airing dramas because I do not want to end up dropping them few episodes in. I’d rather wait then see if I should binge watch.

Waiting for new episodes when livewatching, however, is such a pain that I can’t function well. It is disrupting my daily life, a very unhealthy obsession. I’d rewatch the episodes over and over, and go to IG and watch the fave clips. I need an intervention. 😂

Then everyone here in DB needs intervention because I think a lot of us do exactly what you do HAHAHA

@whoopeeyoo, I like that idea! Group intervention. Though I think this might send us all into an abyss of group addiction. Not that I’d mind. Hahaha

@abcde Instead of an intervention, we'll just watch dramas and talk about them HAHAHA

@whoopeeyoo, That is something every drama fan would get behind. Such ‘intervention’ facility will be a big hit. 🤣

lmao you two are making me wish dramabeans was a city and we could actually arrange drunk-binge watching INAR.
I am also an obsessive consumer of media, I get these weird depressive episodes whenever something that captures me ends and I can't physically stop talking about it. I was never like this with dramas, however, and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what INAR does so much better than others.

What can I say? The Black fiasco has left scars.
Ha! I'm a Black survivor too. Immediately after that crap finale (the whole series was a mess), I raged for a full day. Then I wrote my own ending and purged the show from my disappointed heart.

Yay, LollyPip, for picking up Solomon's Perjury. It's really good! And about your co-worker catching you crying, don't we all have that experience? HAHAHA.

I haven't watched an airing drama for a while now (except Prison) so it's hard to get back to it. It's not helping that I have tons of dramas I need to marathon as well.

I'm watching money flower & longing heart,
Money flower started really good but it's getting a little boring, altho I'm all in for jang hyuk & I can't stop watching his dramas
Longing heart: I'm a CNBLUE fan & my bias is lee jungshin so watching this drama is a given but the plot itself is getting more & more interesting w each ep & it's a total of 8 eps & I like short dramas w a faster rythem, you should give it a try, it's sn easy going, funny, interesting drama w a high school atmosphere

I didn't realize it only has 8 episodes! I've been meaning to start it but didn't because I wanted to hear some feedback first. I was supposed to try it this week because javabeans' comment last week was good but life. I really have to get to it soon!

Ooh yeah! 8-episodes is a plus for a beanie like me falling into a slump and not wanting to commit to a 16+ episode drama. 😁

And it almost always results in a tighter story too! This is actually why I've been coming back to my jdramas recently because I just love their length!

I am waiting for Longing Heart to end and binge watch it since it only has 8 episodes. I think I could forego of a night’s sleep for this. Lol

Based on some clips I’ve seen, this is doing good. The acting department is also good for quite a rookie team.

Wise Prison Life - I haven't watch the last two yet, because I prefer to watch with subs. Although it means I need to wait until next week. I hate when they made Kaist left suddenly, without even got a chance to say a proper goodbye to his cellmates. But I guess that's the realism of their life as a prisoner, they can't be so attached towards each other. There are so many things to talk about this drama, I really love what I'm watching and refuse to let this show go..

Money Flower - Kang Pil-joo finally told Chairman Jang that his identity as Jang Eun-cheon. He was careless and let his guard down earlier but he definitely know how to take advantage of the situation. I'm worried about Na Mo-hyun because she seems enraged with what Kang Pil-joo told her, please Mo-hyun don't make a stupid move. Wonder what Boo-cheon's reactions when he knows what horrible thing his mom did to Pil-joo and his family.

Return - Strong premiere week. Please show, continue to be good. I just need a good legal drama to watch. Casts are great, now only PD and writer need to job until the end. They don't have to really guide these actors because they know what they should do. For now I think Oh Tae-suk is the one who killed Mi-jung. But it doesn't mean the other three are not guilty of anything because I suspect Mi-jung knows too much about them. Looking forward to see what the ugly truth hidden behind Mi-jung's murder. Rooting for Nara to return as a lawyer, and I respect that she isn't begging Ja-hye to save her husband, but rather find out what is the truth, even if it means her husband might be the killer.

Hwayugi - For now Zombie girl is the most interesting one in this story. I expected to see Sam Jang to be stronger, but a bit disappointed she cares more about Son Oh-gong's sincere feeling. The plot in general isn't really intriguing but I think the characters are entertaining to watch.

Jugglers - Video dept team is the best thing in this drama. All of us want to work in this kind of team. Still something fun and entertaining to watch now, although it might be forgettable soon. Two epi left, I hope the ending will be satisfying to watch. I'm also glad this drama is doing well, rating-wise.

Dropped :

Black Knight From watching full epi, I was FF to see only Sharon and Baekhee scenes. Now I don't know if I even want to click on this drama. If I get curious, I might end up watching the last epi just to see what happen with these two.

Just Between Lovers Good drama but something is not really grabbing my interest. Still stuck at epi 5 from the last two weeks. I think I would have love this drama to pieces with lesser epi or as drama specials /movies. So maybe to drop it for now.

Waiting for The Most Beautiful Goodbye to be fully subbed before start it. Forgot about Longing Heart , probably will watch it today.

Re-return, I don't think it's tae suk, it can be the drug cartel that wants to get rid of her.

Like the friends probably kidnapped her and the cartel used that to their advantage, so many possibilities and I like how the detective and the lawyer talk about the case.

It could be. All of them seem so anxious, that made me think twice if they hate the gut to kill anyone. The one with glasses has bad temper and so violent but I feel it would be so easy if it is him the killer.

I'm so glad no one is genius in this drama, and both lawyer and detective despite not really fond with each other, are actually working together. I'm glad I'm liking Lee Jin-wook's character in this drama, and he isn't annoyed me with some arrogant acts.

But the theory of Nara being a killer is really new to me - it would be a crazy twist but part of me want her to stay in a good line - instead I want her to be independent from her husband and start working again.

*hate : have

Jo inho is just a random name, coz the book was a secondhand! Sorry cant answer the other questions ><

Isn’t that young Jang-hyuk’s name before he became Kang Pil-joo? His mother changed his name after Secretary Oh tried to kill them. He didn’t want Na Mo-hyun to find him again so he gave her his old name.

No even I think it's not his name at all. ..its just a random name on the book.mo hyun just assumed that was his name and he didn't bother correcting her..he's actual name is *spoiler* if you haven't watched it yet
It's jang eun cheon..and after the secretary tried to kill them he became pil joo

I’m updated so no worries :D
I have to rewatch the scene when they met Kang Pil-joo’s father to see if she introduced themselves.

I believe yes. Not as a lover, but Pil Joo is the most trusted and reliable person for Mal-ran. Pil-joo knows how to manipulate Mal-ran by giving his care and attention towards her. He knows her weaknesses - she is a lonely rich woman, so he takes advantage of that weaknesses.

Jo In-ho is just a random name, just like @chocopie said above. Kang Pil-joo's real name is Jang Eun-cheon.

Great! Thank you! Because it was bothering me. .