Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

Currently recapping: Hwayugi

I’m Not a Robot: It feels like the plot made particularly little sense as the show wrapped up (I just couldn’t follow the logic of what people did or how they reacted to anything in the corporate storyline), but I was only ever in this for the lovable friendships and sweet romantic connections, and on that front I left the show feeling mostly warm and fuzzy. I mean, there was a lot of cringing at the business meetings and machinations, but I still managed to come out with the cheery glow intact. Now this is a couple I could ship in real life.

Black Knight: Things finally started picking up once Kim Rae-won began recalling bits of his former life (finally!) and feeling doubts. I particularly liked the reversal in his visions—where his memories were twisted by thinking Seo Ji-hye was his beloved and Shin Se-kyung was the interloper—although I’m relieved to have him finding out the true backstory so we can move things right along. We spent a couple weeks sort of bumbling along, so this development is late but welcome. I really, really don’t care about any of the real estate development or the greedy old antagonist storyline, though. Why so much screentime?

odilettante

Smart Prison Living: My sprint to the end might have been much more tortoise than hare, but the final three hours were spent in equal part agonizing about characters possibly making wrong choices and ruining their lives forever, bawling like a baby both out of joy and sorrow (mostly joy), and wishing that somehow this show wasn’t actually ending. I hope there’s another season — not just because I’m still unwilling to say goodbye to these characters that have become a part of my life the past couple of months, but because I really need Han-yang to have a happy ending, dammit. (I also need to know how to be in both a bromance and a romance with Jung Kyung-ho, but that’s more of a personal issue, one that Shin PD probably can’t solve. Unless he can. In which case: call me!)

chickachunga

Mother: The pilot is as beautiful as it is devastating, filled with moments that are sparing in composition, but packed with subtext that conveys everything we need to feel without heavy-handed narrative devices. If the first episode (as well as the Japanese original series) is any indication, Mother will not be an easy watch, but it’s expertly crafted on all counts, especially the writing and directing, which comes as no surprise if you’re familiar with the high-caliber credits of the scribe and director. Child actress Heo Yool is a delicate force with eyes like the ocean. She. Is. Phenomenal.

Laica

Just Between Lovers: Real life has meant that I haven’t been able to watch this until now, despite the rave reviews I’ve been reading (with one eye closed). One episode in, I’m already hooked—by the tragic but not overwrought backstory, parceled out to us slowly and without fanfare, by the sweetly melancholy tone, by the incredible magnetism of leads Won Jin-ah and Junho. I can tell already that this one will break my heart, but I am so onboard, because so far the show has had a light touch with some very heavy themes: the persistence of grief, the wages of trauma, and how taxing it can be to walk around each day with unhealed wounds weighing down your body and soul. Moon-soo and Kang-doo have already met twice without having an actual conversation. I’m very much looking forward to them really talking to each other, because they both have this sort of shell-shocked yet matter-of-fact way of being in the world that makes it clear that they’re very fragile under their nonchalant exteriors. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but bring on the melodrama. I bet it’s gonna be good.

Tags: , , , , ,

What I'm watching:
Black Knight: tbh this show is so beautiful and romantic. I love the OSTs as well. It just puts me in a kind of feel-good mood. Really glad I started it. I live for the cheesy scenes between the main couples. Of all the shows i watch, this is the one I'm mostly looking forward to every week Sadly, it'll end next week....

Just between lovers: I have to admit I was starting to lose interest in the show until the last 2 episodes. Why? The show goes sooo slowly. Like, after 10 episodes, you realize that not much has been accomplished. Whether it's the construction, character growth or just plot. Why I keep watching it is because it's an easy, lighthearted drama I can watch when I need to de-stress or when I'm bored. I'm not hopelessly looking forward to new episodes. Certainly not binge-worthy but still an easy watch

Money flower: every week is a different kind of ride. The thing about this show is that it's so exhilarating. Keeps me at the edge of my seat everytime even when I can guess what'll happen next (Which is not often). It also helps that I love Jang Hyuk so much and would literally watch ANYTHING with him in it.

Others: Master key (trying to catch up on episodes I missed) and Scholar Who Walks The Night ( after watching moon lovers, I discovered LJG and now I'm obssessed)

Wow good luck with the Lee Joon gi obsession and welcome to the club
Watch aarang and the megistrate and you will thank me later

second arang and the magistrate! And also Two Weeks if you want to see him rocking out a modern drama.

+ 1 on Arang & Two Weeks...

Oppa still captures new fans 😍

And of you want to watch him super young ..and a classic kdrama My Girl 👍🏻

THIS is truly a classic! And while we're at the super young stage, catch the movie The King and The Clown. 😊

Sumee! 😊
LJK is ❤️❤️❤️.

Yes yes yes ❤️

Third Arang and the Magistrate!!

Just Between Lovers is your typical kdrama soup so i reduced its score to 7. Still am being generous.

I dropped Money Flower as they actively started to promote DNA labs. Like all of them were some lab experiment trying to gauge who was real and who was clone. Its base is strong but execution falters at each step. Pil Joo just needs to wear Underwear over pants and he will be termed as Kdrama superhero.

Yep. JBL is your typical kdrama but u would give it a 9/10 because it's enjoyable to watch weekly and I also like how the characters get so philosophical from time to time. Lol "actively started to promote DNA labs". Well, we all know Pil Joo is always ten steps ahead but for me, it's always fun to see the execution. Too bad you dropped it, ep 19 and 20 were incredible

Haha so many LJG drama suggestions. Glad to know I'm not the only one crazy about him. Thanks guys!

Welcome to the club! Also, another "oldie" but goodie drama of him... Time between Dog and Wolf. REALLY AMAZING (also in the modern times). He and Jung Kyung Ho nailed their roles here!!! (I especially enjoyed the training days and the scene at the airport, at the very beginning of the drama, it's a classic for me!).

Yep time between dog and wolf is satisfyingly good
And I have watched every drama of Lee Joon gi,he made me sat through the Korean version of criminal minds even tough I wanted to punch myself after watching it

I started watching that version, but couldn't finish. Sorry. I am waiting for the korean version of SUITS. Hopefully it'll be a good one.

CM is Oppa's only drama that I dropped.I just couldn't keep up..

Same! I dropped Criminal Minds too..sadly

@wakimary,

I regretfully had to drop CRIMINAL MINDS, too. It's the only one of LJG's shows that I've pulled the plug on.

I managed the first 5 episodes, but had to bail. I couldn't handle any more serial killer stuff. Watching the original series was enough for me, thank you. I'd already filled my quota of depraved killing with VOICE.

Also, I couldn't believe how un-Garcia-like the Korean counterpart was. She didn't have the geek chops for the job. Letting the system get infected was too much. Arg!

@pakalanapikake i tried really,it has Moon Chae Won too and I wasn't even considering it was a remake, I watched it as a stand alone drama,that is how bad it was for me.

Return: my new crack drama. I cannot get enough of it. I am surprised that DB addicts have not picked up on it yet. Gong Hyo Jin is just really good in this series. I loved it every time she plays a character that borders between good and evil. Gray line of ethics and morality. The other unfamiliar actress is Jung Eun Chae - she is my surprised favorite in the show as the clueless wife. All the rich men are pigs in the show with no morals whatsoever.

You mean Go Hyun-Jung? How is Return btw? Its on my watchlist for now, hopefully I'll get to it

Oops.. yes Go Hyun Jung! excuse the error. I always get them mixed up. **facepalm moment** Please get into it. I was skeptical and started watching without any expectations.. Blown away by the series.

OMG Return is amazing!! I binge-watched all 8 episodes in one day. "I am surprised that DB addicts have not picked up on it yet." ikr

MONEY FLOWER is indeed a great show. I'm watching it for Jang Hyuk, too, and loving every second of it.

If you're obsessed by LJG, watch "Hero". I fall for him in this drama!

@keona8, @katie,

HERO was great fun as LJG played a wuss of a journalist. I appreciate the lengths he goes to to avoid typecasting. ;-)

ARANG AND THE MAGISTRATE was my introduction to LJG. Then I found THE KING AND THE CLOWN -- in my book, an epic performance with Kam Woo-sung. The music is sublime.

LJG is also jjang as the antihero in TWO WEEKS, an excellent show with taut pacing. Another good modern thriller is TIME BETWEEN DOG AND WOLF.

I'd been saving GUNMAN IN JOSEON for a sageuk drought and watched it recently. It was a blast to see that his nemesis in that one was ably played by Yu Oh-seong (Ki Cheol in FAITH).

now that all my favourites have finished I'm waiting on the next batch of shows but the wait is gonna be a long one *sigh*

CURRENTLY WATCHING.
+ Hwayugi (2017)(8/20) - This drama has been a lot of fun to keep up with these days. Though it lacks a bit of focus, the way it takes folklore and turns it on its head is entertaining and intriguing.
+ Money Flower (2017)(20/24) - It is astounding how this drama keeps getting better and better. Every week I’m waiting for it to plateau and it keeps exceeding all my expectations! I loved all the developments this past week!
+ Return (2018)(8/32) - This show is crazy!!!!!! I have become so engulfed in the circle of friends. Their money has created some truly warped sense of mortality.
+ Just Between Lovers (2017)(14/16) - I can’t believe this drama is already wrapping up. This is such a beautiful and understated drama. I have really enjoyed the treatment of tragedy here. It has such a poetic tone.

That last scene in Money Flower 🔥🔥🔥

Someone made 1 big wall of lousy text to defend it when i didn't even said anything bad about the show. Return has this disgusting layer of relationships that makes you almost puke.
I'm watching Liar Game and found that same guy here and i think he does have some affection towards angelic wife.
I think spoiled rich kids is the daily staple of kdramas ignoring the fact that many cheobals went through good education and are successful in their career as well as social life. Writers know how to appease middle-class.

I happen to open the thread and this probably directed to me, I can't stop thinking about it as it happens yesterday and I think I better just say something but ignored it if it wasn't directed at me, I am sorry [this is totally on me to take it unto myself]

I don't mind people not liking a drama and I don't mean to offend you,
I was agreeing with you that they are trash, disagree that they are crappy character because as characters, they designed well, has backstory, move the plot and active, their morality is not the bar for this, I disagree that GHJ is chubby and I disagree we have an angelic wife because her character is still developed then I make argument about why this drama is interesting as my original post isn't telling much about the drama.

> I think spoiled rich kids is the daily staple of kdramas ignoring the fact that many cheobals went through good education and are successful in their career as well as social life.

Does the show specifically say something about it?
No, it said that we have this dysfunctional chaebol character and here's how they operate, you can dislike them as you want because we want to show that the story is not about defending them, it's about the truth that should be uncovered no matter who it is applied to.

The reason that makes me respond to the comment I quoted:
because one character definition doesn't negate another just by existing, having trashy chaebol character doesn't negate that hardworking chaebol exists,
just like the hardworking hero chaebol who usually smart, savvy, CEO at young age or managed an empire in their 30's also doesn't ignore that bad temper chaebol existed, they just don't tell their story because it's not the story,
It's like having ill-tempered villagers ignored the fact that good-tempered villager exist.
should both exist together? it doesn't need to if they don't have narrative's purpose in the story.

I scream so much for INAR this week.

Currently in catch-up mode. With INAR wrapped up (😭😭) I'm finally able to catch up with Jugglers (😘) and Just Between Lovers (😍)(up to ep 12). I also have Two Cops (😒), Mysterious Il-seung (🤔) and Smart Prison Living (😆) on pause. Not sure if the former two are worth finishing but I'll try to. I definitely regret pausing Smart Prison Living (on ep 8) but I'll surely pick it up after JBL ends.

Definitely be sure to press the play button for Prison! Oh so good!

Ooh, I will! Thanks:D

I've dropped Two cops, and seeing the review in the previous what we're watching saved my time hahaha.
Yay for JBL 😄 , I don't watch the other ones but love the emojis 😉.
Will you watch Tae Swoon's Waikiki starting in two weeks ? the teasers are hilarious 😆 can't wait 🤗

Oh? I wasn't following the recaps or comments about Two Cops. I'm planning on finishing it for Jo Jung-seok but will see how I go.

Hehe..thanks! 😉 I'm loving JBL. Just watched ep 12 and Moon Soo and Gang Doo can't get any more adorable!! ❤❤

How can I miss Tae Swoon's Waikiki?? Only drama I'm looking forward to the most in the upcoming new crop of dramas. I dunno how many times I've watched the teasers!! 😂😂 Maybe if I stopped then I'd have time to watch all the other dramas. 🙊🙊

Smart Prison Living: What a wonderfully long run. I just adore the writers and how they bring the characters to life. I like that every storyline had an ending even if it wasn't neatly wrapped in a bow. I can't wait for what they have next, even if the episodes are 2 hours long.

I'm not a Robot: I also didn't care about the corporate machinations except to have Ri El's faith in Yoo Chul restored. What a great character even if her role was small. The romance ahh the romance between our leads is one for the legends. Also those kisses, ESCANDALO, SCANDALOUS. I loved it. Chae Soo Bin and Yoo Seung Ho did such a beautiful job in making a rather absurd drama very heartfelt. Yay for good endings.

Return: This drama is fun in the most melodramatic way possible. I love it. The villainous friends or frenemies. Also for some bizarre reason I am crushing hard on Lee Jin Wook, it's like I finally discovered him. Hello!! Also Ko Hyun Jung is really just so interesting, her acting is so odd but mesmerizing. I like it.

Just Between Lovers: They are setting us up for heartbreak and I don't like it. Dear Writer please give us a happy ending chaebal. I beg I need my two wounded souls to be healed and live long happy lives.

Black Knight: I've given up. I thought it was 16 eps, so was going to stick it out, but I just can't bring myself to care. So good bye and fare thee well black knight.

Bad Guys Vile City: The good guys keep making bad decisions. The writer in an effort to make twists, makes the good guys stupid. It's disappointing. Hopefully it gets better.

Hwayugi: I still like it, don't love it as much as before, but still like it.

Smart Prison Living - started watching this week and binged... finished. I was in awe of how smooth every scene was shot, how smooth the story flowed and how much I enjoyed everything (almost). Was impressed from the first episode and was in awe after the last. Perfect ensemble cast and production. The only drawback - I felt the show romantised the prisoners in that particular cell. So, 9.5/10

Just Between Lovers (14/16) - like the above, I am in awe of the cast ensemble, the story, the execution, the screenshots, the OST. No matter how it ends, it's a 10/10. I trust the writer and editors that much.

Those INAR kisses.... best ever.

Also this is the third drama in one year that had great kiss scenes with Chae Soo Bin, is she the Yoon Eun Hye of this generation when it comes to kissing?

I just binged all of Smart Prison Living. Big gulps of it in just 4 days. Now, I wish I'd savored it more, because it was soooo good! The writing is fantastic, and I'm with you - I'll watch anything they do even with 2 hour long episodes. I was so afraid that they'd lose the charm of the Reply series' ensemble casts and family stories, but now I feel bad for ever doubting them!

I also have a thing for Lee Jin Wook, and LOVED that they used him in the movie The Beauty Inside as the example of a perfect, sexy man who shows up right when you need him. :)

Hey! I am watching it right now, and savouring it every minute, but slowly because real life keeps me busy. I love it!
Now on a side note from your comment: where can I watch the beauty inside??
Thank you a lot!!! 🙋😀🙏

I'm Not a Robot finally wrapped up this week and after that I have no emotions left for anything else.

Much as with Circle, I felt that the show was pure genius up until the eleventh hour where it began to meander. *sigh*

This show was so amazing up until episode 14 that I want to love the ending but instead they went standard kdrama on me. OTP uber alles and a kind of thematic rambling.

The main OTP are great and I'm happy about that. But the show meandered all over the place concentrating on minor character conflicts instead of the main story. Aji3 had this great arc of self-awareness and then they just scrapped and replaced her without a second thought. Madame X was never revealed (or was she???). And not enough happened with Yoo-Cheol and Ri-El. I still think it's one of the better dramas I've seen. But it could have been so much more and it's that unfilled potential that will continue to disappoint me.

Good show, but...
Couldn't they have made it explicit who was Madame X? I guess we're supposed to think the butler did it, or had his lady friend do it, but guessing is for BEFORE the finale, not after.
And Aji-3 didn't even show up for the finale!? Grrrr :(

I was convinced that they’d have a cool cameo for Aji-3’s new avatar. Apparently not!

oh, yeah...Madame X -- who was that?

The Butler did it. I just wish they'd definitely told us that for sure and explained *how* he did it. And why he did it anonymously when he was one of the few people Min Kyu trusted.

Wise Prison Life - Will finish the last two epi today! I purposely put this on hold until weekend because I want to watch both last epi comfortably, so I can have a proper farewell with this gem ❤

Money Flower - Oppa slay at the end of epi 20! Now Grandpa knows the real identity of Boo-cheon, I wonder what he will do. I have a feeling Mo-hyun will join politic, but guys is there any chance for her and Pil-joo to have a happy ending, though.

Return - only managed to watch until epi 5-6 so far, I love how Nara dressed up when she met her husband. She isn't as weak as we thought she would be.

Longing Heart epi 5 : Omuni please stay safe!

Need to catch up with Jugglers last two epi this weekend as well!

Next week 2 new shows (Cross and Radio Romance) to start - Will you be watching? 😉

Also have to catch up with Hwayugi too! I have forgotten about it. LOL

I totally forgot Cross was starting! Here I am thinking I have no other dramas to watch. Thanks for the reminder!

I agree with Prison. You'd definitely need to be watching the last two episodes comfortably. I really enjoyed this drama and will miss it dearly!

Money Flower - I think there might be a chance for Pil-joo and Mo-hyun. That kiss and Pil-joo's nod felt like a goodbye and a promise at the same time.

Yes Nara is my favorite character so far:) I thought she was this typical k drama innocent housewife.. but oh boy she really pulled the punch necessary to hit his cheating husband. I was giving her an applause during the prison confrontation scene.

MONEY FLOWER continues to keep me on the edge of my seat. We've gotten this week's answer to the question "What will Evil Grandpa do next?" The old geezer is horrible.

As for Pil-joo and Mo-hyun getting a happy ending, I'm not sure. His 20-year campaign of plotting vengeance has lasted twice as long as Jang Do-han's in LOOKOUT. He's managed to save her father from suicide, and now Boo Cheon from the hit that was intended to frame the lawyer. To me that counts as payback for her rescuing him from the river not once, but twice.

On the other hand, Pil-joo engineered her marriage to Boo-cheon. It isn't as heinous as allowing a teenage sociopath to push a little kid off a high roof, but if I were Mo-hyun, I'd consider it betrayal. On the other hand, she now knows full well the evil her in-laws are capable of, as well as what they did to Pil-joo when he was a helpless kid. Maybe she'll give him a pass.

Or maybe she'll throw up her hands in despair and hie herself to a nunnery.

so no more Prison Playbook. i was tempted by Beanies fan post on INAR and their weird but funny hatred toward someone named TILDA,so i went into INAR marathon this week. i finish watching everything in one night, HAH! cute drama, especially those Yoo Seungho moment of stupidity, lmao.

i also have the urge to watch Moorim School just because i miss Lee Hyun Woo silver/grey hair in that drama. rewatching it again make me think that it is not that horrible except the last 2 ep which was rushed due to ep cut. great show nonetheless.

im also waiting for SuperTV ep sub, yay! ELF fandom still alive and kicking with their subbing team,heh. thank you in advance in case there is any Beanies here helping with SuperTV subbing.

NIF2, please, please finish airing faster. i cant wait to binge watch this.

Haha, I was also seriously tempted by the Tilda Hate Wave so I have put INAR on my to-watch list for whenever I miss Yoo Seung Ho.

NIF2 is looking good!! I couldn't wait until it finished airing... I'm on episode 6. I like it so far. :)

+ 1 on NIF 2..i peaked a little and now I can't wait until it's at least into the last week so I can finally catch up

How did you feel when you realised Tilda had a 2 second cameo?
#rememberjohnny

I wonder how many new viewers INAR was able to gain because of the Tilda hate? 😅 Should we consider it a smashing debut? Should Truck of Doom be worried?

I nibbled at the first episodes for a bit, thought it was good but not great. But then around ep 15 it seemed to really ramp up and I kept hitting next episode until there weren’t anymore! Still not sure how I caught up so fast. You’re wise to wait and binge. Im gonna stop and wait also so I can plow through the remaining 10 or so eps without the wait.

For NiF2 :-)

Re: NIF 2
The raw is up to 42 as for today and the sub is up to 36 so it will take around 4 more weeks to be completed imo.

I think NiF 2 is kinda good in weekly watchers, it has different dynamic and I heard people say that also has slow pace with a lot of character line in the gray area, sometimes you don't agree with them but then they can change too.

I hope you'll enjoy it.
The soundtrack is superb!!

I liked the 1st 4 episodes of NiF2 already,I just dont have patience to wait for subs.so what I usually do with Cdramas,I wait until it's almost finale week before starting it.

Your name!!! hahaha...

hehehe, I am glad that I get this name,

*swoon!*

I’m Not a Robot:

I’m here to tell everyone must watch the making of the kitchen kiss! Stat! With the amount of NG, I can safely conclude the director is a pervert. YSH got so shy after the torrid kiss. They must have been doing the kiss all day. Not that I complain.

Kiss sounds, back carress, tongue, eating each other’s faces, and not breathing. Because what is living when you could just kiss CSB til your last breath, right?

I know YSH is a good kisser, but this kiss is on a different level. I was rolling in bed flapping my hands and feet like a retarded seal.

*goes back to watch it for 1,000,001th time.

Prison Life:

As much as I hate how Hanyang’s story unfolded, the reality of it hurts so good. I felt cheated because they’ve been highlighting his progress. Yes, kill me with heartache, show! It was easier for him to resist while he was still inside because drugs are a little hard to get his hands on, plus a very good psychosocial support amongst his cellmates and guards. The disappointment of having no one to pick him up must have break him. Addiction is a hard mental struggle. The only redeeming grace for what they did to Hanyang is the chance that he will surely be in season 2 if it happens.

I love Minchul’s story. He truly deserved it. How he reacted to the parole denial was truly praiseworthy. Such a reformed man. Even felt sorry for hoping he would get it. I am so glad he’s got a family, daughter, Jean Valjean, and probably his old girlfriend if she has not married another man.

How puppy Crony turned out is both satisfying and devastating. He turned extremely good that you could feel their frustration that he did not fight and protect himself. Man, he had cuts on his face and they crushed his hands! Aigo, my poor little killer-turned-puppy.

It ended and I did not regret spending 1.5 hours per episode on it. I will probably watch it over and over again just to see this idiot hero do his idiot funny things and also sacrifice his life and career for the people he cares for.

Jugglers:

I really do not know how to take this show. I am glad they got rid of the baddies, but for some reason, I feel empty and dissatisfied. I enjoyed the drama. It left me questioning the general message of it. But I am glad they packed it in a nice little box with a cutesy ribbon on top.

Just Between Lovers: Hurts so good.

Hwayugi: I am really enjoying all pettiness in this show.

Black Knight:

I enjoyed Sharon in the beginning. It has now become repititive and annoying. If you don’t want to feel frustrated, never start this drama. I am practically just skimming over the whole episode. And then she decided to put on Hera’s wedding dress and stab Soho. Like she’s not crazy enought. LOL. Staying to just to see how this story ends.

My Golden Life:

DK has the best secretary in the world. Rich Dad finally had some backbone. Hyuk-Jisoo finally had some chemistry, while breaking up. LOL.

All the Butlers:...

All the Butlers: The gym session had me in stitches. Sehyeong was so hilarious. I think my jaw locked and cracked from laughing and grinning so hard.

Gosh yes, that kiss was SO GOOD! the best I have seen so far!

I agree with you on the best sectary in the world....If people have such people by their side, I think the world will be a better place than it is now.....

Grandpa, Rich Omma, and a lot more people in this world could learn a lot from DK secretary. Too bad this is a makjang drama so they will never do that. LOL.

Invested all his money, gave DK his car, covered for him, left a big company. His sacrifices better pay off, show!

Hopefully it will....

My Golden Life:
Jisoo has the hardest time. Everyone pretty much dumped her on her own and she is the one who least wanted to be in that position. She cracks me up when she tells her 'real' parents how it is and what she wants. Here is hoping she keeps her backbone, goes after what she wants, and sets her 'real' family straight.

Even when it sometimes irritate me that Jisoo is such a crybaby and tend to misunderstand many things, I am still vouching for her resilience amidst all this chaos. I always get pumped up whenever she tells Rich Omma off and become a little feisty. Like yes girl tell her! She just started to settle into her family and dating then they had to ruin it again. Poor girl.

As much as I hate the going abroad trope, I think it will be good for her. Her naivety and sweetness are her strengths, but she has some maturing to do. Though I see her getting more mature every single day and starting to adjust to her new life, staying away from all this chaos will probably do her good and come back as a better version of herself. I just want to take her out from everybody’s eye, especially Rich Omma, and live as herself. After quite some time, I hope she emerges stronger.

Thank you for directing me to that video of the kitchen kiss. So adorable.

I think the most exciting drama right now is Return. It's fast paced, the story is compelling and the acting is superb.

I didn't know Yoon Jong-Hoon was in this. He's only had supporting roles so far but always chooses different characters, which shows his versatility and range.

Maybe I should've waited until it's finished, so I could marathon it. I can't wait until next Wednesday!

Can we all speculate on who's the killer? Or has that already been talked about?

I want to.. n going for d grl or someone related to her being d mastermind.. i would also like if one of the wives planned this by roping in someone from raped grls side on revenge ( wife doing it for money only llol)

Which girl are you talking about? The end of episode 8 is great. The story and problems keep escalating and snowballing.

One who was raped

Oh the girl in the flashback.

In the first few episodes, I thought it might be Geum Na-Ra. Based on Choi Ja-Hye's description of her, Na-Ra is really smart, so I thought she faked innocence and naivety during the dinner party when Mi-Jung unexpectedly showed up. There were moments when I thought she knew what was going on (since the conversations and behaviors were inappropriate) but pretended to be oblivious.

Idk if it is talked, I think it probably not any of the main cast, the way they reacted to the event after mijung death doesn't feel like they know who did it.

Yes, I don't think the four friends killed Mijung, but they did so many terrible things, it's not surprising that there's someone who wants to take revenge on them.

What I’m watching…honestly, mostly it’s lots of BTS clips of our I’m Not A Robotcouple. could they BE any cuter?!?! 😍😭😍😭😍
and of course Just Between Lovers. i’m nail biting my way through the days until the last episodes air.
in an attempt to soothe my angst, i’m also rewatching My Love From Another Star.

Hahaha I relate to your comment so much! I’ve rewatched My Love From Another Star so many times 😂 maybe I should watch it again to soothe my JBL angst a bit

i had to do something!! 🤣

Depending on the ending of JBL on Tuesday, I might be one of the happiest people on earth or the biggest emotional wreck 🤣

Good strategy! In between school work, I'm re-watching Strong Women Do Bong Soon (skipping over the serial killer parts). A nice, fluffy kdrama is just what the doctor ordered.

Hi Beanies! I watched a lot this week.😅 I blame the cold weather that's finally hitting us (I’m a weenie when it comes to the cold!). I tuck in early and watch some shows. Hopefully, I slow down next week. Here’s what I watched:
*Just Between Lovers: So many cute moments this week! Agh, they're so cute together. The fight she had with her mom was tough to watch. I can't believe its ending next week. I stay away from melos because they usually end in sad endings, but surely we will not get that, right?!
*I’m Not A Robot: I loved it! From beginning to end. At first, I was worried about the plot. I mean, how can you confuse a human for a robot. But then, I just went with it even the allergy bit. Sometimes good acting and a captivating story just take over that part in your brain that tells you it doesn't work that way. I'm so happy, it took over because I really enjoyed this drama.😁
*Master in the House: I find this show so laugh out loud funny! The fake exercising had me in stitches.😂
*1 Night, 2Days: I was an episode behind and finally caught up. The 2nd episode abroad reminded me of older episodes so hopefully it will come back stronger. It was funny to hear banda music in the Cuban scenes though.
*Kang’s Kitchen Special: The karaoke reward was hilarious. When AJH got a 100 my mouth fell right open. Too funny!😁
*Other: I also started the Jdrama We Married As A Job and the Taiwanese drama Someone Like You. I am liking them both!😀

“Sometimes good acting and a captivating story just take over that part in your brain...”

Totally agree about INAR! And like you, I’m so happy that happened to me too or else I would have missed a wonderful gem of a show 💎

@Jellybn

JBL....just curious why so many beanies call this drama a Melo?

As far as I know, the production of this drama put it as melodrama, and it's not only Beanies calling it as a melo.

@Tom
I admit that until you brought up the fact that what we think is a melodrama, may not actually be a melodrama as defined by literary dictionaries, I did not lookk up what a melodrama really is.

From where I was, a melodrama was any show that played up more of the sad and the unfortunate circumstances for the protagonists, and/or that was generally melancholy in tone and whose plot included a very high probability of a beloved character or main lead dying. Simply put, it was a generally sad show (or even a tragedy) that got me crying out of pathos for the characters.

If others have understood the same of the word 'melodrama', then that's why we think of JBL as a melodrama. 😉

I've learned in my book club that 'melodrama' in general means all characters are either black or white with no shades of gray in between: the bad ones are the worst and vice-versa :-)

Yes, the characters are not well developed and the stress is on plot or action and being over-the-top in depicting emotion. Other words associated with this are words like exaggeration, artificiality and stereotyping.

Taking this as the definition, this show, JBL, is not a melodrama.

I started calling it a melo because I heard it elsewhere, but I personally call any drama a melo when they are more sad than rom-commy. Also, when they are a little too close to home and they make me cry or want to cry then I call them a melo, just because I prefer to be laughing and giggling at the otp instead of dreading what might happen to them.

I started Nirvana in Fire 2 . 🙆🙆🙇🙇🤩🤩🤩

I tried watching NIF and NIF2 but haven't been able to get into them even though I've only heard positive reviews. Maybe I just have to wait until I'm in the mood because I feel like I'm missing out.

It took me until episode 18 to get into NIF, so I have learned to be patient. NIF2 started with a bang though. But you need to like political machinations for this - it's like watching a chess game unfold.

Episode 18?! Yes, that's definitely patience :-) I don't mind political machinations as long as it's done right. I'll have to try watching them again at some point.

To clarify, I liked NIF but found it slow until episode 18. Then everything exploded and every episode afterwards became more and more exciting. :)

NIF2 is different because it has more action scenes spread out among the political games. I hope you try watching when you're in the mood.

I got into NiF by about episode 4, but NiF2 took quite a bit longer. Really into NiF2 right now though.

I’d say in NiF2 the political backstory is even more slow-moving than in NiF, but there are plenty of great action scenes (including political action scenes amongst fight and battle scenes) so that just when you start to feel complacent you jump out of your seat.

I think NiF and NiF is a drama that doesn't engage you right away.
It's kind of a gamble because it maybe not be good for you until the end too, I think you don't need to worry about missing out if you aren't feeling it.
It's a well-thought drama, well written but not necessarily means you'll always feel the emotional engagement in the earlier part.

The drama that starts in the middle, it has a backstory but you don't live through that backstory in the early part, not even know what it means so you hardly know the character or their feeling.
I find this part different with saeguk, they have a portion of child story, in the beginning, to laid the groundwork, when you have means, purpose and goal showed for the feel-investment early on, this is like saeguk but they skipped the child part in the beginning but inserted it throughout the drama or even near the end. Therefore I totally understand why people haven't been able to get into them and if they haven't finished it.

My word for the drama is rewarding,
when it ends, I enjoy the earlier episodes much more than the 1st watch because now I see where it leads the story and the references.

Thanks for the info!

Yes, thanks for this @xiaojingyann ! I learned this lesson the hard way: I stupidly looked up the synopsis for NIF2 and of course they had to give information about character backstories... which normally you don't find out until later in the drama. I stopped myself after two sentences but I already read major spoilers 😭

Lol I've also read/heard a little bit about the backstory, but I can't connected it to the characters since I don't know their names.

Wikipedia put a major spoiler in the character description and the 1st arc also explained there,
I saw it when I want to search for a character name but it was like 1 ep away from the spoiler so I don't feel that bad.

I know what you feel TT.TT

I wanted to start NIF2 but I love the first season so much I coudn’t bring myself to watch its sequel.

I know! I was hesitant to start this because I've been burned by sequels before (Scarlet Heart 2, ugh). But I was so bored and there is no historical drama in Korean... So I thought I'd go for it.

NIF2 is a different story and there is no Mei Changsu, but it has enough of the style to remind me of NIF. And so far I like the Xiao brothers at the heart of the story. I'll keep you updated!

Absence of Mei Changsu is exactly the reason why I’m not interested to watch the drama, I watched NIF1 for him after all. Hu Ge is just love! 😊 And not even adorable Fei Lou is among its cast. :(

Please do. ;)

Ah, well I originally went into NIF for Wang Kai so I'm happy to see Xiao Jingyan's grandsons now ;)

Will do!

Trust me, there will be a special place in your heart for the Xiao brothers after you watch this. Always room for more actors to admire, right?

Agreed that it shouldn’t be thought of as a sequel, but more as using NiF for inspiration.

If you like xiao shu, I think you'll love Tingsheng + emperor and the adorable Changlin Family, also prepare tissue.

@ultramafic & @xiaojingyan

I’ll try to watch the show when it’s done airing, I hate waiting for subs. ^^

Thanks!

Smart Prison Living: Hanyang, WHY?!!!!!! *sob* I fully agree with odilettante's assessment of the final 3 hours. I have to add that I did enjoy the reveal that Officer Na was just born an asshole.

Hwayugi: My weekly shot of fun! The story does meander but I'm thoroughly enjoying the journey. But no more SOG in fur coats??! I love seeing all the Sunmi and SOG interactions and they really make me feel like a Geumgango is wrapped around my heart.

Master's Sun (finished rewatch): Better the second go-around. The ghost stories were really solid, the OTP cute, and the second female lead's a little endearing. I do think the screwdriver stabbing was a contrivance that derailed the drama a bit.

Greatest Love (rewatch ep 1-4): I already loved it, but I LOOOOVE it on rewatch. I'm freaking melting into it. I have an renewed appreciation for the amount of energy, humor, and longing Cha Seung Won expressions this drama is able to deliver.

Falling for Innocence (ep 1-4): Checked it out because Smart Prison Living reminded me of how hot Jung Kyung Ho can be. Sadly, I'm really disliking it...

I just finished Smart Prison Living and I was so happy to see your post- i'm looking everywhere for people who have seen and loved like I have!!
Hanyang... I watched that episode this morning and have spent the whole day muttering (and maybe sometimes wailing) "why why why"...

Hwayugi ep 8- I'm head over heels for The Monkey, okay or may be Lee Seung Gi.💗💗💗 And I so freaking love Cha Seung Won in the drama. 😂

Just between lovers- So.Freaking.Good.
Im just on the 4th episode and my heart hurts for them so much, especially Gang Doo. The guy is really on the rock bottom of his life in all aspects, emotionally, physically and financially. Good thing he has his surrogate family atleast to go to, and now Moon Soo too hopefully...

This week, I said goodbye to two of my favorite kdramas this season:

I'm Not A Robot: A show I didn't expect to love but love I did. Yes, I cried copious amount of sad heart-wrenching tears, but the payoff was so worth it! Min-Kyu and Jia-Ah hold a special place in my heart and that is because of Yoo Seung Ho and Chae Soo Bin. Without their chemistry and excellent acting, I don't think I would love it the way I do. And the crazy DB INAR fans and recappers! I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much without their wit, wisdom and humor!

Prison Playbook: A show I expected to love and love I did. It was heartwarming but also heartbreaking, funny but also somber. I cried, laughed and cursed at this rather realistic world inhabited by characters that were multi-layered and multi-dimensional. And rejoiced at the happy ending it gave to most of its core characters! So, bring it on, Season 2!

To ease the emptiness in my kdrama heart, I have started on Hwayugi. And I'm digging this epic love vibes that I'm getting from the OTP (so far up to Ep 4). Reminded me a bit of the epic love story in King2Hearts but maybe that's just Lee Seung Gi's effect.

I'd be so on board if there's a Season 2 of Prison Playbook!

Right? I’m sure there are plenty of stories to tell with some old and some new cast. Even if the cast is new, I believe in the PD and writer to bring the characters to life.

Who'd have thought watching a bunch of criminals in jail would be so much fun? I miss this show already!

Hope to start Between Lovers This Weekend and catch up on Hwayugi. I gave in and upgraded on Viki. Though not sure if I will keep it up as pay for DR too as I like the download feature.

Tempted by Money Flower and The First Half of My Life.

Fell down The Running Man rabbit hole. Was wary of variety, and not sure I'll try others, but so glad I took the chance on this. So many laughs.

2 episodes left of Oh My Venus. Really like the chemistry between the leads. Which was also the only element I liked in Strong Woman which I finished a few weeks ago.

When I started watching variety I was also weary, but a lot of them are so funny that they are part of my week now since I could always use a laugh. I had a rabbit hole experience with Running Man a couple months ago too.😄

I'm watching 'Wise Prison Life'. It's a gem with so much bromance. Great cast & storyline. Every character has their own heartwarming story. Of course, special mention would be Han yang, our Looney. I can't never think of any other actor that can potray this character well enough. Kudos to actor Lee Kyu Hyung for that. I might rewatch this again just to see the fight between Han Yang, Kaist & Captain Yoo. And also Leftenan Pang. ^^

*Hwayugi*
Enjoyed all the pettiness and how Ma Wang & Oh Gong plays trick on each other. My only complain is how the story of the ghosts are not deep enough & only acts as a way to propel the story forward.

Just Between Lovers
Totally skipping Ep 14 and that preview 🙅

I'm not a Robot
I still have a lot of questions like,why did you make us cry for so many weeks?! but I kept going back to all those fluff 🙋

Hwayugi
oh my Monkey! 😍
and that Zombie❤Pig❤Octopus is just 😂

No time yet but will watch some k-variety
Butlers & Radio Star

Quick question, why is DB no longer doing the Viewership Ratings? Did I miss something?

Just Between Lovers - Preparing myself for the end of this beautiful show.

Money Flower - Jang Hyuk is so hot serving up revenge.

I'm Not a Robot - I kind of lost interest once the OTP were together for real, but overall, I thought it was a cute show.

Return - I don't particularly care who killed the victim, and I hope the suspects all kill each other. The acting sometimes leaves something to be desired, and I feel like it could easily become a hot mess. That said, I totally want to see what happens next.

Mother - Difficult subject matter to watch but the acting and cinematography is great. The first two episodes didn't really grip me emotionally, however.

This week, I was too shook by JBL's preview and was overwhelmed by feels.
Currently watching :
Just Between Lovers This drama wrecked me. I didn't think I'll feel this way for a drama, maybe because it's my first time following a drama with this theme/genre while on air. Also beanies have been supportive in the discussion. As in, we all try to support each other through this. 😂 a support group lmao. We can go through this, guys. He shall live. He should. He has to. Must.

Remember Picked this up to watch together with @hikarinmh so we can see Nam Goong Min as the Gyu Man. On ep 5 now. Drama dates are fun, even if it's a virtual drama dates.

Hwayugi Late to start this, but ep 1 was fun. Ghosts are a bit scary and they kiiind of followed me to my dreams.

Jugglers I know it has ended but it's just so hard to start watching because I kind of lose interest after ep 13 :/ maybe I should just skip to ep 16.

Prison Playbook I'm still in denial this drama has ended. Haven't watch the last two eps on purpose. What happened to Han Yang tho?!?!

Other than those, I am binge watching Brooklyn Nine Nine Season 4. was sad to realise Season 5 hasn't ended yet. Need moreeee to binge watch!

I used to watch Nine Nine with my bro, but since I don't have Hulu anymore I can't😥. Such a funny show!

Yeah, it's so fun xD I got attached to the Nine Nine ❤️

@mintful

JBL

Keep your chin up. If you are bracing yourself for all on the negative side, perhaps this possibility may give you some hope:

I suspect the end will be moving but not the horror show many feel coming.

Its actually living that is tormenting GD. However, now he has something he realises is important to him, I suspect the role model of Grandmother's passing may show GD how his life can offer hope and even in passing his memory may fill people with joy about being alive with those they love/need.

Have you read the letter by the terminally ill author, Amy Krouse Rosenthal: "You may want to marry my husband"?

P.S. Even when you are teary, somethings just make you want to be with others...

Thanks @Tom
An extremely touching letter/essay. The writer is able to accept the reality and suggest one of the most positive options for a future without her. I wonder how the husband felt about it. Loved her talk with her daughter.
😌

@Tom
To be honest, with JBL, the grandma's arc hit me way harder because it was on the topic that I could relate a lot with. The topic of grief in the drama was beautifully done.
You replied to me a few days ago but I don't know whether it's the universe playing, I opened it today.
I read that beautiful essay today, on my dad's 5th death anniversary.
No wonder the word cancer and cancel look so similar.
Doesn't it? All the sudden cancelled trips and 'cancelled' dreams. To shorten my essay-length thought about it, the essay made made smile and a bit teary. Especially when I remember what day it is. Like her, he'd want us to genuinely smile though it might have taken so much time.
Thank you for showing me the essay :)

Since I finished Strongest Deliveryman last week I'm only watching INAR. I love the Jia x MinKyu pairing so much, i'm hallucinating things in between the actors.

I Am Not A Robot - You know, this entire show was so well executed, it's probably the first drama I give 10/10. It was just all wonderfully balanced in terms of pacing, acting, cinematography, music, plot. It was never over the top, but just the right soft touch. I mean they could have had the Dr. BH and Pi kissed, but I appreciated that they just sat and talked so casually on the sofa. That scene was so beautiful and serene. Everyone was true to their nature. And I know many griped that Madame X was never revealed, but I loved how that was kept a mystery (besides we all know it was the butler - it's ALWAYS the butler). Now that it has ended, maybe I can finally pick up all the other shows that I've left half watched.

Hwayugi - The very first episode already hooked me into its mystical world. I love the myth and the stories around all the ghosts and hauntings. Knocking it out of the park with the acting is of course Lee Seungi & Cha Seungwon, and even Lee Seyoung. However, I just can't get into Oh Yeonseo. I don't know what is it. I find myself not invested in the OTP. I can't care less if SOG has real feelings for her or not (that seems to be the bulk of her concerns every few seconds). Maybe if she can stop obsessing over that....oh, I just don't know.

while my two fav shows of this season are going to end.... just between lovers being my ultimate bias ,I loved yoo seung ho in INAR .I am sad both the shows were good.
i am now excited for cross and mystery queen 2 .hope it will be as good as the first season.
Something these days has been my keen interest apart from kdramas is the japanese drama TODOME NO KISS,it reminds me how w-two world's first 6 episodes were so great.
REPLY 1988-my fav show of all time along with misaeng.Though i was team jung hwan but i love the family dynamics the ahjumas ,papa bear and offcourse jin joo. I am greatful to the show for introducing me to ryu yun jeol .Though from the first glance he is not handsome but for sure is a actor to die for.I know many beanes loved jung hwan more but its the fault of the writers becoz they didn't show us how taek fall in love with duk seon may be then i could have loved him more but otherwise my fav reply series .1998>1997>1994

Laica - hang on for the ride! Just Between Lovers is a superb drama in every way. Simply WOW!

Oooh, noted!

I have finished Prison Playbook/Smart Prison Living, and not going to watch any dramas for the time being.

Okay. I cannot help but tears flowing a few times throughout watching the final episode(including to realize that it is the finale, and I don't know if my feelings will be invested the same when re-watching). There are too many scenes/moments that I would like to mention, but I would highlight a few.

When Officer Paeng was at the school and the kids said that prison was for bad guys, then he said “But everyone commits a bad act at least once.” The ability of this series to portray even the bad folks as human was so wonderful to see.

I like how Joon-Ho slowly becoming like Officer Paeng, even though he said he can't like Officer Paeng. Even the final scene of finale shows he acted like Officer Paeng, haha.

"Be moderate in criticizing people, you may become like them unconsciously"

As far drugs issue, I know many are frustrated by the ending of Han-Yang's character in the drama, but I personally satisfy with it, even though it is indeed bitter. This drama really succeed to open our eyes to have better understanding of those who take drugs, instead of judging them stereotypically. It also reminds us the hardship of those who struggling to quit, that it needs help and support from people around him/her.

I also like they show a bit more about Officer Na in the finale, and it is funny to see flashback of his character in school.

I love to see relationship growth between Jung-Woo and his brother, Joon-Ho with his colleagues(especially with Officer Paeng and Officer Song), and of course between our cell 2-6 inmates (Je-Hyuk, Min-Chul, Kaist, Gobaksa, Jung-Woo, Hanyang, Janbaljang, Dolmani). I like to see Beobja to be hired by Je-Hyuk in the end.

Argh. I have lost words to say at the moment. Going to watch BTS clips before saying goodbye(for now, before re-watching later) to this masterpiece. There are too much lessons from every single characters, their behaviors and character development throughout about 24 hours-long drama.

Finally, I would like to quote what Shin Won-Ho PD said: "If there is a message [in the drama] I want to say, it’s of ‘hope.’ This is a story of people in a place at the end of the world. Some of them dream of making a comeback, some of them fall even further as they continue to live. But I want to show that there can be hope in this situation.

And yeah! This is now my most favorite K-Drama, replacing Signal. I really hope this drama will be crowned as best drama during 2018 Baeksang Award(at least be nominated), just like Signal did two years ago.

Hopefully all of us can be a better person in view of nurturing better society! :)

Excellent piece of writing 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 My sentiments echoed yours

I love your ode to this wonderful drama!! It is my favorite out of all the Shin Won Ho dramas and has made it to my top 10 list. And even though the year has barely started, I'm 99% sure Smart Prison Living will be THE drama of 2018 for me.

That moment with Jung Woo (and his brother) and the retrial letter - with his cellmates and our favorite officers there- one of the best kdrama moments ever. You really have to watch it and then watch it again because the first time, the tears prevented you from seeing it properly. I'm still enraged by how the framing job will have stolen 2 years from Jung-woo's life when the whole thing is rectified.

The Officer Na thing was hilarious. I can't remember if it was the finale or an episode or two before it, but they showed him changing out of his uniform. I was sure they were going to delve into how he's totally not like that at home and how he has a backstory. Why zoom in, right? And the writer has made even Crony likable! Then the finale hit and I loled when the other officers were like "he must have some backstory, right?". Then it dawned on me that he's just an asshole and always was.

Thanks for this. I love what you have to say about this gorgeous drama!

Hyeon Chung
Tennis player from S Korea ...what a revolution at AO..wow...I am a fan.
It's sad to see him retire against Federer due to blisters.
wish him fast recovery and best luck.

**Dramas
* Just between lovers ep13-14 : there were sweet moments, them walking on the snow, the kiss , Kang Doo eating carrots, the cute beanie, BUT BUT BUT that heartbreaking “saranghae” at the end of ep14 broke me and then preview of ep15-16 finished the job: WAE WAE WAE show 💔😭 ???! can’t a melo have a happy ending ? please~
*Radiant office ep5-10 : commute drama and sometimes at home, I think if people in public transport paid attention they would find me weird : in one sitting : having a serious face when they’re talking about Ho Won disease for example, then giggling with Dr. Seo and his smile 😍 , then getting surprised 😮 , well guess that’s just me watching dramas 🤣. Btw Dr. Seo is now known as CEO’s son, but I can’t help thinking of Jun Ho’s character in Chief Kim, can’t Dr Seo be nice again, I don’t want him to be the bad guy 🙁

**K-shows
*Infinite challenge e554 : One hour before the job special : very good like usual with MuDo 🤗 😊, poor Se Ho nobody wanted to do that interview about the cold weather 😅
*I live alone e229 : getting footages from last summer well that’s the strike effect 😅, Kian84 new flat is nice with such a view 🤗. Sung Hoon with fellow sportsmen (CN Blue Kang Min Hyuk !!) were hilarious and astonished me : they ate almost 5 kg of meat while standing up in a few hours , aigoo aigoo 🤣
*1n2d E200 : abroad for the 10th anniversary : I Haven’t finished the ep, JBL got in the way and other things, so far Kim Jong Min on the mountain was funny and him getting tricked by CTH and JJY was hilarious , always effective and funny 🤣 . Cuba team it’s a pity that CN Blue Yong Hwa scandal happened because they edited him out, it is awkward now , at least the previous ep wasn’t edited out .

This week is final week for some dramas, especially for us subtitle-dependant viewers.

Some dramas leave us in agony (I am watching you, Smart Prison Living! How could you, with my precious Hanyang! ...just kidding.)

I think the writing team made him that way to give emphasize and give warning to people. I dont know what I would do if I am the mother, the lover, and gosh I dont even jnow what I would do if I were Jungwoo, hearing news that he's back in cell within minutes of his release. Jezz, Hanyang.
I wonder if there is a chance they make season 2 for this series. It is soooo good, and yet there are some issues are left untold (about crony, for instance, what will happen to him now that his master is away?). I sure am glad that Lt.Paeng is now Prison Chief (or vice, perhaps? In exchange for Na?), if I'm not mistaken. That uniform!

Second in place is Hwayugi. I wonder, how can it be only TWO episodes each week? I want mooooorrrreeeeeeeee!!!!! Great Sage secretly gave that mermaid gift to SamJang is super swoony, and super sexy. It breaks my heart when that evil spirit told him that SamJang will kill him, and more, after the bell rang. Why is time running soooo slooowww? I want to know what happened next!!!

I am not a robot
Havent watched the last ep, since it is pretty final for me. I can binge watch it while waiting for hwayugi.

Heeheehee @laica wishing for the same thing as me after starting Just Between Lovers. ♥ I'm a sucker for near-misses in kdramas and the first few in JBL make me gnash my teeth and tune in more.

Oh yes, it took the 3rd and 4th meeting for Moon Soo to figure out that, that guy was around her a lot. The near misses really built up all the tension and expectation for the OTP. The best part was Moon Soo saying she wanted to avoid Gang Doo, followed by Wan Jin calling dibs on him so that Moon Soo began to be a little more interested.

Took forever and a fall and a 2nd rescue before she properly gave him the time of day. LOL.

Yep. You're a girl after my own heart, mary.

I watched I’m not a Robot for the cuteness. Since I abandoned logic from the start, I was entertained and looked forward to every episode. I’m sad it ended because I’m gonna miss the couple.

BTW, where’s the finale recap?

This week I finished "king of high school savvy", which I started causally while frustrated waiting for INAR characters to stop lying to Minkyu and... I was totally surprised and crazy over Seo In guk. Also the other characters and grandpa.. I cried, naturally, and I couldn't believe they left him be a high schooler until the end! Little bit unrealistic way to even marry him, but I must remember that in the past and still even until now there are many young people (18 years old) who get married. Worse alone there are many irresponsible 18 years old people who get pregnant without being married and some of then start living together and few of them succeed, but at least few of them succeed. So, I was happy to watch this couple not only date and love each other openly, but also settle down together and be happy and find solutions. It was a happy watch.

INAR: Everybody said or will say (in the recaps) pretty much everything. For me, I can only say this was one of the few finales that left me happy and satisfied. Little bit crazy and nonsensical the wrapping up the higher corporation schemes and they never said at the end what happened to Martin, but... I was overall very satisfied with the end. And wow, that kitchen kiss was way better than our OTP in BTLIOF! Wow, made me even felt inspired 😍😍😍.

Just between lovers: This week I cried again, oh my... they make me cry in every single episode, but it is needed. I am very surprised how even small characters have their complexity and with a simple sentence move my floor. This week, Gangdoo's noona saying: "thank you for treating me like a human being". Wow, that situation without being so much melo or pitiful, for she is a graceful and elegant woman, but... if you guys are watching JBL, you understand what I mean. She moved me.

Mother: I started the first episode. Didn't finish it. I know it will break me. What to do?

I'm not a robot: only watched it for the cute and funny moments and it was delivered 😊 Chae Soobin and Yoo seungho'so chemistry is off the charts 😍
Just between lovers: why do I feel like we're going to get an ending like Uncontrollably Fond? 😭😓
The King 2 hearts: it's such weird show but can't seem to stop watching it.. so it must be a good type of weird 😂😂

Regarding King2Hearts - its the BEST type of wierd!!!!lol

Still watching Hwayugi- still completely obsessed, love the storyline, love the actors (my love for LSG and CSW has only gotten stronger). I do however, miss the fur coats! I was also rewatching ep 1-3, (this is where I fell in love really) and I feel the newer episodes cinematography is lacking in comparison. The first few were so beautiful and bright and had gorgeous landscape. If someone would like to convince me otherwise I’m very open to it! Also I kind of want SOG to watch her from afar like he did with the umbrella game he played in ep 2! In terms of characters, I finally get Seon Mi, and I am beginning to love her. She is strong, but quiet because life has beat her down so much. She knows what she wants and is resilient. She’s a great anchor to the other crazies and she’s a new type of drama lead and I’m here for it!

Finishing up INAR- completely agree with javabeans! At this point I’m just watching the couple and skipping the rest. I don’t get the corporate logic and the antagonists were droll and boring. But the couple are goals!

So I’m recent years I have developed a bad habit of stopping dramas I couldn’t get into. I used to feel obliged to finish a show, but as I got older I couldn’t be bothered. I tried to get excited like the fans did on this website, but I just couldn’t for a few. But after joining beanies, I am thinking I may have to pick some of these up! So please can someone advise me as to which I should give a second go?

- araang and the magistrate- watched till ep 4 and got bored of the magicky elements! Love the cast and idea though. I’m all about impossible ghost romances!

-masters sun- again love the cast and writers but found everything else tedious, but loves the interactions and story line. Watched to ep 8

- king 2 hearts- again, loved the characters and story but just hated all the political stuff. In genres it my least favourite, right after medical and corporate dramas!

- you from another star- loved the cracktastic couple and the amazing storyline, but found secondary characters na father big bad annoying and boring.

But I’m willing to give these a go again as I have space in my drama watching time now. Please advise!

Arang and the Magistrate has the best conflicted serial killer character ever. Don't know if that's a recommendation or not...

Masters Sun - the last 2/3 episodes annoyed me sooooo much but I loved it up to there. So, if you've seen the first 8 and it didn't grip you, I'd probably say don't bother with the rest.

Ok thank you! I will be checking out araang because the beanies seem to love it! May leave masters Sun though eve though it is highly rated by JB and GF

I’m glad to see other people not that taken with Masters Sun.

I totally loved it until they hit me with the triple whammy of kdrama tropes that I hate: amnesia, noble idiocy and a time-skip.

I have rewatched it and I just imagine that the last third of the series doesn't exist. In my head, this is now a 12-episode series.

I watched it because it seems to one of the classic dramas and I don’t mind a bit of supernatural stuff. I finished it, but I never warmed to the main couple and don’t get me started on how wrong the second couple were.

I like to believe that the last good Hong sisters drama before Hwayugi was Best Love.

@cloggie,

Amen to "best conflicted serial killer character ever"! Especially because he was played to perfection by Yeon Woo-jin. Joo-wal put him on my radar. ;-)

@mollyp,

ARANG AND THE MAGISTRATE is one of my all-time faves. The "magicky" elements are akin to the stuff of Western fairy tales, and some of them come from Mugyo (Korean shamanism, which contributes the mudang / seeress), Buddhism, and Confucianism. I love the Jade Emperor and the King of Hell (who pops up as Amogae's old buddy in REBEL) bickering over baduk. And the Flowery Goat! Man, I love that cosmic goat.

If it's possible, just suspend your disbelief and treat it as one of Grimms' fairy tales. -- It may also take a couple of episodes for the plot to get rolling as the characters are introduced and the scenario is established.

You could try approaching the story as a supernatural whodunnit, because that is why Arang asked for Eun-oh's help in the first place. Her quest to learn her own identity leads to many other surprising revelations. She is not the only one with memory issues.

There are also some scenes dealing with the diary of the previous magistrate's daughter, Lee So-rim, that are lovely and poignant. Her writing is poetically touching. I think it is discussed in the recap comments. Ah, yes. I seem to recall there's a reference to the "Butterfly Dream" of Zhuangzi, a Taoist sage. (Unless I've misremembered this from another Kdrama.)

I loved Shin Min-ah in this show -- my first time seeing her. She's wonderful. And Lee Joon-gi is all kinds of terrific. Back then, I was still early in my Kdrama viewing career, and only watched sageuks. I loved the dramaverse and all its characters. The cast is excellent, with many fine veteran actors.

The music is wonderful. Plus MC Sniper contributes a great kickass number for the ghost chasing and fight scenes. I'm a fan since hearing his music in CHUNO and FAITH. I never thought I'd like rap, but his is just fine.

One last thought. Take a look at the wonderful 2-episode HYANG DAN (recapped here on DB). It was made by some of the same crew as A&TM, and has great music. It's a retelling of the Joseon-era pansori "Chunhyang," but from the point of view of her maid. Super Junior's Siwon is marvelous as Lee Mongryong, son of the magistrate, who falls for the local airhead beauty's virtuous maid.

@pakalanapikake thank you so much for this detailed description of Arang and the magistrate. I have actually started rewatching it and love it! I’m on ep 11 now. I think the first tome around I wasn’t really feeling it because 2012 was a great year for drama and this didn’t seem to match up. I loved And love Shin Min Ah always because of MGIAG which was my first time being exposed to her and she was terrific. And for LJG I have loved him since I first saw him in my girl in 2009. At the point AATM came out I had been watching dramas for about 3 years and wasn’t really into dramas which were so fantastical but that is not the case anymore- the more fantasy the better! So I think the second tome around is working a charm and yes it is a gorgeous drama and I’m loving it!

PS- I watched Hyang Dan about 8 years ago and have loved it since! That alongside Splish Splash love are my 2 dramas I wished were about 8 times longer!

You're most welcome, Missy!</