[Theme of the Month] In defense of…

Happy new year, everyone!

It’s a new month and a new year, and time for a new theme. And this time, we thought we’d give you the floor (so to speak) to defend a drama (or a performance, or a particular story or setup) that you think gets a bad rap.

Defend an unpopular opinion, drama, or actor and tell us why you love them.

Maybe it’s a show that doesn’t get enough credit. Maybe it’s a prevailing opinion that you’ve never agreed with. Or maybe you just want to show some love for a favorite oppa or noona who doesn’t get a lot of love. This is your opportunity to play defense attorney and argue on behalf of these overlooked or underappreciated people/plots/things!

To submit:

• Email your submissions to [email protected] If you have a registered Dramabeans account, include your handle so we can link to it.
  • Include at least 1 image, though more is preferred.
  • Suggested length: Between 500 and 1,000 words.
  • Deadline: We will post these on a rolling basis, so we’re taking submissions now. We will cut off accepting submissions on January 25. If you miss this month, join us for a new theme next month!

Tags:

If this theme included kpop, I would totally write about The East Light...

I love their music so much! I got into them because of Woo-jin being a part of Produce 101 and I don't regret listening to them :) If kpop was a part of this, I would write about Nu'est or the Rose (even though they debuted mid- last year)

At last!!!! I've found another East Light fan! I didn't watch Produce 101 but one day one of their I Got You stages showed up in my recommendations and I clicked on it. I tried to resist because I thought I didn't have time to like another group but... now I'm a huge fan.

At this point, I have given up on trying to stop groups from taking over my life. Every time I listen to a new group, like you, I try to resist but it never goes well.... Their I Got You stages are the cutest and so are they!!!

I love the one when they're in the pirate costumes. So adorable!
Have you seen some of Junwook's guitar covers. He's SO GOOD. I could watch/listen to him play guitar all day.

@raonah Me too! I have listened to Junwook's cover of Beautiful over and over again and I can't get enough of it!! ITS AMAZING <3

I just listened to Junwook's cover of Beautiful because I couldn't remember if I had heard it before. It's so good. I also found this one that I'd never heard before that he composed himself: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PB7N1tI277A

@raonah HE COMPOSED THAT??? OMG that guy's phenomenal at the guitar! The fact that he did this when he was fourteen is just mind blowing and it was so beautiful 😍

IKR?!?! And actually, I think he was twelve because he was born '02 and the video is from 2014. How can someone be so talented at TWELVE?!?!?

@raonah welppp I can't count but anyways it's still such a young age to be doing so many great things!! When I first listened to their music, somewhere I saw that he was considered a prodigy and I didn't check it out but now I can fully understand OMG HE'S AWESOME

Sometimes people exaggerate and throw around words like prodigy but I think in his case, it is well-deserved.

Here's another song he composed. In case you haven't seen it yet πŸ™‚

@raonah That song came on right after the other one you suggested and I couldn’t get enough of him so I watched a lot of his compositions LOL He's so good that there’s not enough words in the dictionary to describe his playing

Have you watched The East Light's episode of After School Club? They practically held a mini-concert.

I haven't. I've seen clips but can't find the whole thing anywhere 😭

I haven't seen the episode either but I know that if you go to the ASC website, you should be able to see a list of all their previous episodes. Here is the link: http://www.arirang.com/Tv2/TVCommon_NoStaff_Archive.asp?PROG_CODE=TVCR0688&MENU_CODE=101717&Page=1&SearchStr=&Field=

I haven't seen the episode either but I know that if you go onto ASC's website and into their archive page, you should be able to see a list of all the episodes that they've had. I would copy and paste the link here, but its not letting me :(

Thanks!!! Going to watch it now πŸ™‚

Thanks so much!!! It worked! I'm going to start it now πŸ™‚

I fell under the spell of GOT7 love them so much and I'm not a kpop or a pop fan in general.

You are in good company. There are a few of us here.

OMG THE PICTURE!! THE ICHYV FLASHBACKS!! I really enjoy reading these "Theme of the Month" entries because they are so much fun! I don't think I'm going to have the time to submit one, but, to whoever does, I wish you all the best and I look forward to reading yours!! And while doing so, add many more to my already long list of dramas....

Love that the "Theme of the Month" is very on trend of legal dramas. Dramas may take away our social lives, but they'll never take our freedom....to defend our love for this extremely guilty pleasure!

Cannot wait to hear your voice, Beanies!

Haha! I just noticed you changed your name again. How fitting for after the holidays! Happy New Year!

Cheers to a happy new drama year @jenmole!!

o_0 How'd you change your username? Please tell!

Hi @naelap, click on your profile pic on top of the webpage and go to "account settings" where you can change your "display name". Good luck!

@KimbapAte2Much ahh thank you so much! :)

I don’t have an unpopular favorite that I feel strongly enough about (that I can think of) but I’m so looking forward to the entries! I love that the first theme of the year is such a positive one. It would be easy to do a theme about unpopular opinions in general, but that would likely bring so much negativity. And who wants that? Blegh.

Spread the love, Beanies! Convince me to give your underappreciated favorites a try, or make me see a show/actor I view with derision in a new light!

I enjoyed the ending of Cheese In The Trap. There, I said it.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I commend you for finding the courage to let the cheese out of the trap.

I am thinking about trying to watch this one again now since the ending won't catch me off guard to see if I feel differently about it after a few years.

I did that. I thought I forgot but it seems that some of the feelings still there. It is not as raw but I did sigh ruefully (a lot) while watching it. And I still asking a lot of 'why'

SAME! Im thinking of entering this essay just to talk about it

i don't mind the ending if the lead-up to it had been done better.

Exactly. And all the behind the scenes drama just added to our utter disbelief... Maybe going back to rewatch CITT wouldn't be so bad since we won't be surprised this time around. :)

I liked that ending too:) - I don't know what's the fuss about it. I even bought DVD of that show.

Me too me too. Haha.... It's fitting with the plot development, and because if they end up together with showing their happy ending for me won't be fitting

Maybe you can convnice me to watch it then. I’ve avoided that and BIG like the plague, in no small part because if the general consensus here.

Re BIG: Take the confusion, anger and feelings of pointlessness from Black and then magnify it 15000x until your emotions are white hot and you're in danger of destroying your television set, computer, modem and anything else that enabled you to watch it.

Don't watch Big.

Lol. I guess I shouldn’t be holding my breath for someone to defend BIG? Maybe one of our attorney-beanies would like to do it as an exercise?

That perfectly describes my experience with 2 episodes of BIG. Then I watched the last 10 minutes and I still don't understand what happened even after reading many recaps, posts, wails, and screeds about it.

NOTHING HAPPENED. The last two episodes were this slow unending realisation that nothing was going to happen - in slow motion.

The whole set up had this fascinating dilemma for the female lead in that the man she was in love with was physically really young and the body she was attracted to had a man she didn't really know. How did they deal with this fascinating moral quandary? They didn't. It was such a letdown.

Hehe, I haven't watched Big so I can't comment. I tried CITT during my teenage drama rebellion, precisely because the consensus was so negative. I think it's a pretty good drama for marathon: Kim Go Eun is amazing, the story is deeper than fluffy rom-com fare, the romance is not overblown, the OST is great. If you go into it warned that the ending is not to everyone's taste it's an enjoyable ride. It would be a shame to skip it.

I only discovered kdrama a year ago and so I watched CITT without knowing any of the controversy about it. I just love Park Hae Jin and was watching everything he was in.

About 3/4 of the way in I suddenly noticed that Park Hae Jin's character was missing. I thought it was really weird how all these relationship beats were with the second male lead. I wasn't sure what the show was saying, especially since the trap doesn't work as well when you're wondering where the cheese is.

The ending wasn't bad so much as bland and underwhelming. But I can name about two dramas where I thought the ending was really great so I wouldn't let a mediocre one stop me from watching.

I liked and enjoyed Big and CITT except for the ending for both, I recommend you give them a try. I am sure you will enjoy Cheese but I don't know about Big because not too many like it here.

The floor is yours @wishfultoki to make your case for the ending. Your client is an underdog, to say the least, and one that I for one am convinced is irredeemably guilty, of causing tears of frustration and hours of disbelief trying to figure out why it went wrong.
But I will try to be fair and impartial, since this is now a cold case and my emotions should be less involved. ;) :P

I won't have time to rewatch CITT's ending or write eloquent post, so anyone who wants to take up this case, feel free to do so!

But I think I understand your feelings. I am still bitter over the ending of BTIOFL. After weeks of thinking you know a drama, suddenly, bam! - it turns out you don't know it at all. Tears of rage and betrayal ensue.

CITT just felt so right for me in those first few episodes, maybe because it somehow tapped into my own feelings in that moment in time that I was watching it. So it hurt so much when it became, for me, angsty and typical.

Poor CITT, hopefully it gets a good public defender at least :)

I was expecting someone will talk about Cheese in the Trap πŸ˜‚

I knew, just KNEW that CITT was gonna be mentioned here!

I've said it often that CITT is my The-One-Got-Away, the what-ifs are so strong, it used to make me clutch my chest at its appearance anywhere. Now, after over a year, I just sigh wistfully at its memory.

If you weren't very emotionally invested in CITT, then you can go, don't get the fuss...*shrugs*... or u can be perfectly okay with it, just another ending.
But CITT was such a sensitive show that even the littlest shift in direction was felt deeply. It was such a show that got you falling very, very deeply as if you were in a relationship that the heartbreak was epic, it wasn't smash-your-tv-and-laptop rage, but just sadness, confusion, anger, denial, bargain and then, heartbreak.

Same...

you sum it up perfectly~

Now that years has passed and I'm not so bitter seeing my fave webtoon get butchered and a hostile makeover shoved into it, I probably can join the discussion with....less feeling...? teehee
As a borderline anti-fan of that drama ( I super love the first half and it OSTs gives me warm fuzzy feeling), that ending is not that bad but the whole mess leading to that ending (in the drama) makes me wanna kimchi slap someone.

Right - I didn't have a problem with the ending because the 7 episodes leading up to it didn't leave much other choice. Really, it became a completely different story - with a different charecter arch starting at the half way point. The harder I fell for the first half, the deeper the disappoint I felt for the second half of the show.

Oohhh excited to read the entries of beanies. This could open my eyes to dramas or noonas/oppas that just flew by my radar.

Ditto!

Interesting theme! I don't really have a drama that I strongly liked but was super unpopular. But I look forward to discovering underrated dramas from the articles! ^_^

Interesting theme. I expect to see "Moon Lovers" since this drama is so polarizing, receiving a lot of criticism but garnering avid fans at the same time.
Perhaps, I may see Suzy somewhere as well. LOL.

Moon Lovers was the only time in my 10 year lurking history (since Coffee Prince) were I disagreed with the Dramabeans year-end review in regards to the miscasting of IU as Hae Soo. Yes, I was so pissed off with the editors of this site (still haven't forgiven them until now!). However, I gladly respected the opinions of my fellow Beanies even it was different from my own viewing experience. As an international fan, I loved IU because of Moon Lovers. I was never a fan of K pop so I didn't know about her music before watching the show. I enjoyed her portrayal of Hae Soo so much and she achingly broke my heart when the show ended. It was not her fault that the plot was a mess and the director was obsessed with zooming in the camera up to her eye balls o_o and pores.

I found IU great and natural. And she doesn't have any botox yet so it's a pleasure to watch her on screen.

The ending of Moon Lovers is fine as it is.

They don't need Wang So's reincarnation giving a handkerchief to Haesoo. It is fine with that.

The best thing they can do is to adapt the ending of the Chinese drama where the reincarnation of Hae Soo sees Wang So's but did not approach him because SHE KNOWS HE IS A DIFFERENT PERSON.

Tbh, I have no complaint over the ending. In fact, I am glad that they were separated judging at how toxic their relationship were. Actually, I don't understand the angst what's with so many expecting a happy ending for both of them.
The reason I mentioned "Moon Lovers" is because how this drama widely panned for being such a hot mess with the chaotic writing and editing and yet still so addictive and stayed within you for a long long time. So I believe, for those who actually loved this show, it's a good chance to actually spell out those defense qualities because I do think ML deserves one.

Moon Lovers may look polarising because it was very criticized by some people here but this drama was still hugely popular, even on Dramabeans. Actually it was one of the most commented drama ever. I mean some episodes had 1000+ comments. I think this drama was flawed but had that special thing which makes everything super addictive despite all the flaws. I think in a way Goblin was more polarising.

I want to defend Suzy but it might not make the 500 words cut since all I can think of is, "it's not her fault for being pretty and popular and that she gets paired with all the hot and popular actors. To her credit, those actors managed to showcase their acting calibre while Suzy gets bashed for being not even at par. Despite that, well, she remains pretty and popular." LIFE.

I have nothing against Suzy but I would rather for her to take on minor or supporting roles cause she is still far from ready to lead a drama. She should be humble enough to realize that she is not leading lady material just yet. Doing minor roles while learning to improve her acting until she is ready, I am sure many will be accepting to her actually headlining a drama.

Doing smaller roles would be a good way to get more respect and experience, however if I was in her place I don't think I could do that.
As a celebrity you could lose your popularity over night so I'm sure you would want to earn as much money as possible while you are popular.

There is no small roles though, only small actors/actresses. lol.

In defense with Suzy though, I think it was just her management that is bad on choosing projects. She can rather pick non-pivotal but crucial roles or pivotal role but with a lot of back-up ensemble drama.

The "There is no small roles though, only small actors/actresses" is so true! Was it Judy Dench who won as Oscar for a movie she appeared in for like 5 mins or so?

I know this thread is about IU and Suzy but Taecyeon is much worse. I find him super handsome but I can't finish any drama that he's in because of his cringey acting. (For the record, I actually like IU. I think she's one of the better idol actors around. I absolutely adored her in The Producers.)

I loved IU in DH but when I saw her again in The Producers and in that first episode of hers, it felt draggy. I know she's acting like a primadonna but I felt like I'm suffering just from watching her act. Seriously, I felt tired during her scenes.

@mikgoo IU got a lot better in The Producers in the succeeding episodes. She was particularly stellar during the second half.

Cindy was my favorite part of The Producers by the end! The scene with her crying in her bed when the 1N2D crew came to her house got me right in the heart!

Would I have had so much of a problem with Suzy's performance in While You Were Sleeping if she wasn't playing against LJS?

She goes down in history for me as the only actor who doesn't have chemistry with a man I thought had chemistry with everything including passing motorists and inanimate objects.

It turns out LJS can convince me he's in love with a phone booth but not Suzy. I do blame Suzy.

But have you suffered through Doctor Stranger? I agree that Suzy had little to no chemistry with LJS. That lack of chemistry was one reason why I dropped While You Were Sleeping. (An overly predictable and repetitive story didn't help.) But I think that Jin Se Yun in Doctor Stranger takes the prize. It was worse than no chemistry; she had NEGATIVE chemistry with LJS, which I'm pretty sure that LJS would not have with a phone booth. The only reason I kept watching Doctor Stranger for as long as I did was because I kept hoping that LJS would ditch Jin Se Yun for the second lead, Kang So Ra. Alas, it was not to be and there are 10 hours of my life that I will never get back.

I have seen Doctor Stranger. I still remember the feeling of sitting through my first round of competitive surgery and wondering WTF I was watching. By the time they announced another round, I was just watching out of some sort of masochism.

I got to the end and the bad guys monologued "THIS IS MY PLAN" and I went, "That makes no sense".

LJS and PHJ were amazing but I also couldn't understand why he ended up with the woman he did when they spent so much time establishing his relationship with the ?second? female lead (I mean, she was the real female lead, right?).

When it comes to a kdrama childhood fantasy romance and a real adult woman, they'll opt for the childhood fantasy every single time.

I thought the person LJS had the most chemistry with in that was PHJ and was blithely writing a crack threesome fan fiction in my head the entire time. That show would have been terrible but way more fun.

lol, this is such a hilarious defense and I can totally picture Lee Bo Young's character from IHYV above to say it in that lazy, sighing voice of hers, like its such a bother.

In the spirit of the theme of the month, I have a confession to make... I loved Warm and Cozy! I thought it was, well, warm and cozy. Maybe it's because it's the only Hong sisters' drama I've actually been able to watch all the way through, but I really truly enjoyed it!

I’ve always wanted to see this because of YYS. Maybe I will someday...

Another confession I loved Big and Dr.Jin.

Dear days, I can practically hear the cackles ringing in the air as beanies near and far crack their knuckles and lean over their keyboards with a manic gleam in their eyes...

LMAO!!

Err.. Is this the best theme for me to show off my legal skills? A brief in defense of... okay, time to get cracking on that keyboard! ^^

Please do it! Time to show off all that legal jargon.

Err... I got super excited, and sent a submission immediately, but not in legal jargon.
And then I realised it might not fit the theme. I went with 'drama that doesn't get enough credit' but it isn't particularly disliked either. Dunno if I can/should send another one. :p

Cool, I hope it's gets published. :D

Also, I think you should send that rehabilitation essay on Truck of Doom with @cloggie and @kimbapnoona : 'Trucks Over Flowers.' 'Truck in the Trap'. 'The Lonely Shining Truck'. Goblin didn't help improve his image.

More options: 'Are You a Truck too?', 'Mr. Trucktire', 'The Great Truck' and of course, 'Radio Truckmance'. I hear the last one is causing quite a furore owing to the large age gap - could this be the precursor to @redfox story on Mrs. Truck below? It doesn't seem to be helping Truck's image either.

ROTFL at all the titles.....I am seeing a field of trampled flowers driven over by uri ToD🀣🀣🀣
How about ToD Stayed Out All Night or Remember -ToD's War?

I laughed so much at those titles, I'm literally crying.

In all seriousness, if we want to incorporate @redfox story, it will have to be a 50 episode drama. Maybe 'What Happens to my Truck?', 'All About My Truck' or 'Truck is Strange' would work. Just a thought.

@cloggie: great historical figures always have multiple interpretations of their story.
Like "Shut up! Flower boy truck. - story of a cute killer who has a passion for elevator music." or "Six Flying Trucks".

The 'Truck Social Revenge Club' or 'TruckOut' could be the name of the Villanous Organisation out to seek revenge on the Truck - he is a serial killer after all. But this is a story of Truck's redemption, and will surely end on a positive note for both - Truck and the Truck Social Revenge Club.

another version could be a bit sinister.... you all know those tearjerker films of autistic geniuses who are misunderstood and isolated? but there is one teacher or doctor or honest policeman who believes in them? well potentially genius autistic killer truck and his supporter the gangster. at first it seems heΒ΄ll never hit anything but lamp posts. "You can do it! Run [over], truck, run [over]!" in the end he runs over everything on his way from Seattle to Boston and becomes famous. In the university of killer trucks, there is a memorial room...

@redfox
So would a beloved character in Shut Up! Flower Boy Truck be killed by another ToD (maybe his evil twin) by the end of the 2nd episode?

@greenfields
Truck Revenge Social Club? I like the idea of a trio of ahjumma trucks with a cutie patootie teenager truck puppy. It is not too late after all to make this drama a black comedy as you suggested earlier.

I think I will dream about flying trucks and trampled truck dreams tonight.

@greenfields and @kimbapnoona, It could be Revenge Social Truck about three Ahjummas and a Truck. All the revenge is quite petty but involves ToD as their method. Not killing anybody but driving into fences and into gardens. Bumping people into rivers. It could be the first non-violent project for ToD.

this entire truck thread is so confusing i feel like this is some kind of inside joke

@babybeast Haha it is not an inside joke but the exchanges do look confusing. The discussion started in thread 20 and later in the day carried into thread 11.

@kimbapnoona and @cloggie - oh! Three Ahjummas and a Truck is good. That would be the ending, I suppose? A reformed Truck? From running over people to working at Subway, and having found friends like family. A Black comedy -
thriller!

I started writing Truck of Doom defense but the screencapping has left me mildly traumatised!

@cloggie - oh yay!! I'm so excited to read it, I can only tell you to persist regardless. 😁

Don't forget Truck of Doom's close relative: Stupidly standing in the middle of the street with your mouth agape while Truck of Doom bears down on you.

@greenfields, post is written and emailed to the Gods (should that be Goddesses?) of Dramabeans. Fingers crossed.

@cloggie - you amazing being, you! Can't wait to read it.
*bows in prayer to the dramagoddesses*

Now since this new thread topic will become the meeting of "DB Addicts Anonymous" I am the minority that didn't like Goblin and was really disgusted by the high school girl and ajusshi plot.

I don't like Goblin either. Never get the hype surrounding this drama. I could not get passed 4 episodes. Kim Go Eun's portrayal made the female character even worse.

I couldn't get passed episode 5.. Once Kim Go Eun uttering "saranghae ajusshi" my skin starts to crawl

The hair on my arms just stood up thinking about it. So gross.

I think it's more about what you love but gets little recognition than something you hate but everyone else loving itkind of defense.

that's better, I don't want it to become a defense against the bad drama review either , that you just don't understand this drama so you think it's bad when drama has standard of what good and bad.

Just curious: how is a 900-year old fantasy creature an "ajusshi"? I never watched the show but my understanding is Gong Yoo played a goblin, not a human man.

Yes I'm more likely to have a widely popular drama that I hated than an unpopular one that I loved. All the dramas I love that didn't rate well tend to have a small loyal fanbase or be critically-acclaimed. And while I do have dramas I liked that were panned, I usually agree with the bad reviews. Sometimes you just like fast food even though you know it's bad for you.

Also, the borderline-paedophilia in Goblin was totally gross.

I’m sorry you felt that way. I thought of it more as two old souls finding each other, and I may also be transferring some real life love stories into this one. My best friend (who is my age) started dating her husband at 18 years old and he’s 12 years her senior. They’ve been married for almost 20 years. She’s the β€œmature” one in the relationship! Lol.

I just remembered, they actually went with me to Canada on our Goblin tour!

The story was good but the chemistry is not.

After binge-watching Money Flower, I take back all my prejudices against makjang dramas.

Also most of the dramas I tend to dislike are the really popular ones

Ha! I am so looking forward to all the posts about- Cheese in the trap, Moonlovers, particular idol-actors, oooh Boys over Flowers obviously, Heirs, To the Beautiful You! What else? I swear I could write some on ones I mentioned! (plus Uncontrollably Fond and Missing 9 and what not)

Could probably write sth for shows/actors who are hugely popular but who I never loved as well... But I am a serial procrastinator and the last theme of the month is still sitting unfinished on my desktop screen. So I will probably just be reading the entries!

If only I could write, I am thinking of "In defense of Lee Jun Ki's bad drama choices." Sigh. I feel bad for him. Hoping for his end of bad luck and getting good drama offers this year.

Write it! This is not school and you won't be judged for you skill level. Beanieland is a safe place over all!

^^^ yeah and you’ll have good content marks!!! i’m really looking forward, please do write your article!!

English is not my 1st language but I can help you to write this because I recently rewatch all Lee Joon-gi dramas, so I have a fresh memory πŸ˜„the key thing wheathet he picked a good or bad drama he always did an excellent job and his characters are unforgetable, I mean who can forget Wang So?!

He is my favourite. It upset me everytime that the dramas let him down and it's been so long since Two Weeks that his dramas did justice to his talent and effort.

You guys, please don't hang too much hope for me to write even when I wanted to πŸ˜…. Now I am scared 😳

I totally agree. His acting as Wang So was totally amazing and probably his best role so far. He was so invested in it that his charisma was exploding at every move.

OMG his charisma! No prince/king can top that charisma ever

BTLIOF ending. I will fight anyone who says bad things about my poor little kitten Jiho.

LOL.

I will be among the minority that loves "heirs". It was not the best but I kinda enjoyed it, it was the drama that made me discover dramabeans. Hope someone will write in defense of it. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Heirs is always on my list of guilty pleasures. It had its faults, unquestionably, but it gave me all the right feels, and some of its characters were incredibly well drawn.

Ooh.. The theme seems to be in line with my personal experience as someone who was once (and I guess is still 😝) in the minority, but I'm not persuasive enough to describe my feelings and make others agree with me 😣. I'll try to write it, but I guess it will take a long time and it might end up in my privacy folder on my PC πŸ˜†

I hope this doesn't go to "essay to invalidate criticism since my favorite drama get bad review" when the drama is bad.
You can like a bad drama but don't posed it as objectively good, like saying the director of Moon Lovers did great since they make us see how flawless the actor pores.

Also how this drama is good, people just don't understand it.

I hope to find an underdog drama that never get the spotlight because it's isn't maintsream like what happen in sangcheori or bording house number 24.
I also hope that this can be appreciation post that also admitting the drama quality if they are bad, like bad storyline, illogical conclusions and miscast.
Unpopular opinion is unpopular because people don't agree but standard exist.

Loving heroin is unpopular but not something to defend.

Haha. If they make valid point why the drama is worth it, why not? But i agree, standard exist.

I think the whole point is to defend relatively unpopular and prevailing opinions (postive or negative) about any shows, actors performance, and production. Dramabeans is opening the discussion to the stuff the readers of the site can comment on. So I guess everything goes? especially if the argument has validity.

I'm wondering if this theme was chosen because in Year-End review there was some threads about unpopular opinions unwelcomed in Dramabeans...

About this theme, can we also defend some tropes (example : in defense of second female lead) ?

Yup. It seems to be a positive theme. Not diss something that is well loved, but defend something that is underrated or disliked or otherwise generally elicits groans. Like the Truck of Doom. I'm hoping someone will do a defense of Truck.

I so want to read a defense of Truck of Doom, and his younger siblings:Car of Doom and Motorcycle of Doom, who I've recently seen getting more and more parts in dramas.

the moment i read the theme of the month..i so knew someone was going to bring up the truck of doom

It would be difficult to defend the Truck of Doom which is usually the harbinger of death (or amnesia), but I could more easily defend all the reckless cyclists or bikers who force the heroines into the arms of the heroes.

Unfortunately ToD now constantly gets typecast as the baddy. He could extend his range and take some of those roles that the cyclists get.

Come to think of it, ToD gets unfair share of the blame. Equal fault goes to the often non-reaction of pedestrians who stubbornly refuse to slightly step out of the way. Thank you @cloggie for altering the long-held view that is clearly an unjustified misconception.

How should we help the ToD to move out of the villain role? Maybe paint some pretty pink flowers on the body. Or maybe a working brake.

@kimbapnoona, I think he's really trying. That's why he took a bit-part in INAR and delivered Jia to MK's front door - without anybody dying! I think he could also do a good job with comedy. He always makes me laugh, even if that's not the intention.

@cloggie I can never blame anyone who is giving his best! D for effort for ToD.

Let's help him first by rebranding.....how about Truck of Cute (or Truck of KeeeyOh rather)? Or maybe he can be one of MK's Pretties, uri Pretty maknae?

@kimbapAte2Much He should become one of MK's loved appliances, especially once MK realises the crucial role that ToD played in this romance. How about uri Pretty Truck?

@kimbapnoona and @cloggie - Thank you for raising these very important points. If you may add, I am now firmly of the opinion that Truck deserves his own drama - his story told, his struggles as minor and often ridiculed character.

Truck, fighting!

@greenfields and @cloggie -I suspect that he was bullied as a kid, now as an post-adolescent lashing out by roaming aimlessly (correction: roaming with perfect aim πŸ˜…).

Who is his first therefore fated love? Who will be holding an umbrella over his head when it rains? Who will he go to for ointment and bandages when getting scratches and dents? I want to know!!

@kimbapnoona - Or maybe he got damaged when a road collapsed under him as he was on his first delivery job and the dents have never been properly fixed. That's what drove him to this Life of Doom.

@kimbapnoona, @greenfields and @cloggie, the three of you are ridiculous.....ly funny 🀣🀣

if I can upvote 10,000x, I would but alas... 😞

@cloggie Road collapse? Do you mean that his life was ruined due to corruption, bribes from the construction company to government officials to turn a blind eye during inspection?

All along I thought this was a melodrama but it turned out to be a legal thriller! We need Shi-mok and Yeo-jin of Forest of Secrets to help.

@kimbapnoona and @cloggie - surely it is a thriller, maybe even a noir. Think about it, Truck is essentially a serial killer. A drama from Truck's pov can only be a noir, or perhaps a Black comedy, but I think many of dramaland ' s characters would protest.

@kimbapnoona, @greenfields and @cloggieβ€”laughed so hard my abs hurt. First workout of the year. Fighting!

@greenfields
Of course! How could I not recognize it before! ToD is a serial killer who dispose all of his victims' dead bodies, in, it, self. GENIUS!!

There is a rather disturbing Indie film called 'Rubber' I think you should watch.

@greenfields and @kimbapnoona, The brilliance of ToD as a serial killer is that he makes it look like an accident! Every single time. But clearly you must see that it's not really his fault. Someone else is always driving him to it.

@cloggie and @kimbapnoona - OMG. Manipulation, mind control, eating dead bodies - how did Truck come to this? When did things go so horribly wrong in your life, Truck?!!! *cries*

@cloggie LOL at "driven"
ToD is indeed a brilliant serial killer who has made appearances in countless sequels in dramas all over the world!
I understand that he has his reasons to kill and with a shattered past (as it becomes clearer and clearer today) he is perhaps easily manipulated by others. However I hope that he gets a growth arch and becomes a hero who would own up to his mistakes, you know, to murder (or manslaughter if you prefer.)

@leetennant
OMG the trailer for Rubber is sheer awesomeness. A sentient tire named Robert serial murdering people by explosion using its mind? Count me in, especially when LA Weekly describes it as "batshit crazy".

@kimbapnoona and @leetennant, I just watched the trailer for 'Rubber' and the tire even has the obligatory shower scene! This is genius. Or I have gone insane.

@cloggie - are you saying that Truck is not one being, but many? The tire has the obligatory shower scene? Without the rest of Truck? O_O Plot twist!!

OR does Truck have multiple personalities. If so, I know a pair of siblings and a chaebol who could help.

@cloggie and @greenfields
Clearly we have gone insane, or maybe, just maybe, we three could make it as assistant writers in Dramaland.

With shower scene out of the way, uur next task would be to write the Subway PPL into the show.

I would actually tell the story from Mrs. TrucksΒ΄ point of view, who wants to take her children the night food stands and leave her violent husband, who sniffs it out and locks her up in mad cars asylum, where her tires deflate. before she is dismantled she leaves a clue for the children where to find a secretly taken blackbox footage. The children get separated and one of them ends up on a street in a slum and the other in front of a bank building in Gangnam. the poor food stand tries to gather clues from the cars of people who stop to eat.

what happens next? Is the kids mother really dismantled or reborn with a changed look and new identity! Find out ... when MBC decides to air dramas again!

What about truck who wants to break free from the ToD mafia by using his brakes and swerving to miss the idiot in the crosswalk, but is typecast and society won't let him? Will the love of a self-driving car show him how to live a life free of hit and runs?

@kimbapnoona - Clearly we cannot have Truck driving into Subway. That would destroy the point of a ppl (unless Subway wants to play the villian. This is Truck's tale, he's the hero; so if he's driving into a Subway outlet, Suway is the villian)

Perhaps we can hint at character growth by having Truck kill and eat a Subway sandwich instead of the human/drama character walking out of Subway. The sandwich looked so tempting, Truck could not resist. And the taste of the Subway sandwich brought a new meaning to Truck's life! A revelation - that serial killing was perhaps not the right path for him.