1,064

Lee Jun-ki offered tvN legal-action drama Lawless Attorney

There are multiple reasons to be excited at news of Lee Jun-ki (Criminal Minds) being courted for another tvN drama, not least because that means Lee Jun-ki is likely to come back to television soon, which I always welcome, even if his projects don’t always turn out so well. But apparently I will never give up on him despite a number of subpar dramas (Criminal Minds, Scholar Who Walks the Night, Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo…), because he’s due for a good one any day now, right? Right?

This new series is called Lawless Attorney, and if Lee Jun-ki accepts the offer, it would reunite him with his Time of Dog and Wolf director, PD Kim Jin-min (who also directed The Liar and His Lover, Marriage Contract, Pride and Prejudice, and La Dolce Vita). As Dog and Wolf was one of his best dramas, the idea fills me with cautious optimism, especially since this drama looks to bring back Lee’s grittier side as a former gangster turned lawyer on a revenge mission.

The role Lee Jun-ki is considering positively in Lawless Attorney is Bong Sang-pil, a “gangster lawyer” who doesn’t trust the law and feels free to use his fists. He takes advantage of loopholes in the law and boasts an excellent win rate. Other lawyers may consider the legal code sacred, but he considers it more of a tool “like an appliance user manual.” He fights against those in absolute power, standing all alone in the world, driven solely by the thought of avenging his mother.

Lawless Attorney promises an exciting story of growth of maturation, as well as action and thrills. Well, it’s Lee Jun-ki, so action is just a gimme at this point. The drama is being planned as a Saturday-Sunday drama to follow writer Noh Hee-kyung’s Live, which follows currently airing Hwayugi.

Via IS Plus, Sports Chosun

Tags: , ,

1,064

Chingus—After devouring the first 10 episodes in five days, I took an additional four days to complete episodes 11-12. My slow watch is a combination of savoring and dreading the story’s machinations. I’m breaking down my thoughts into three posts.

1/3
Ep. 11-12 | The Love Story
Like @persianrose noted in post #128, I’m conflicted about the turn in Sang-pil and Jae-yi’s relationship. At the start of this series, I couldn’t have anticipated how much I would grow to love their realistic and low-key pairing. Now that they are estranged, I realize that I was wrong about their love not be central to the story. Specifically, the pursuit of romance is not the main storyline. Rather, their trust and partnership was our respite from the Sturm und Drang of Gisung City. Be it @caeparius’ Noble Idiocy or part of some strategem, I fear the separation will make them both more reckless.

Given the realities of politics, I don’t expect punishment for all the corrupted characters. But I’ll be heartbroken if Sang-pil and Jae-yi are unable to reconcile. It was so refreshing to have two people—with childhood wounds and all—still approach a romance with such trust and transparency.

@caeparius—I tagged you in above post; not sure why it didn't display properly.

DB has finally "blacklisted" me! It is because I am so vocal about the pending Gnome Apocalypse. They have been after me for years. They are making their move, if you do not hear from me in the future, FIGHTING!

Release the Attack Flamingos!

2/3
Ep. 11-23 | Mothers
One of the glorious aspects of Lawless Lawyers is its exploration of the messiness of motherhood. Our mothers run the gamut:

Righteous lawyer Choi Jin-ae is fearless and steadfast, but her actions endanger her son, Bong Sang-pil. She’s the linchpin of our story because her life and death drive her son’s revenge.

The discussion in @marcusnyc20's (boon-soo) #135 thread about Jae-yi’s mom reflects my own ambivalence about this character. Perhaps Noh Hyun-joo and Uncle Dae-wong had a good plan in place but DW’s murder seems to have set off a cascade of crazy. Unlike the vengeful Bride in Kill Bill, HJ has everything to lose. I cringed at her insistence that Sang-pil should let Soon-ja go. It comes from a place of love and desperation but it denies her daughter’s agency. If she really knew her now-adult child, she’d know this was a terrible request.

Nam Soon-ja—the toady poster child of avarice and sycophancy—is the only mother of our series who raised her child without interruption. She exists only to elevate her daughter, Prosecutor Yeon-hee, to a position of power. I pray we’re not denied an explosion of murderous, maternal fury from Soon-ja—I fully expect her flared nostrils and jutting jaw spattered with blood by the end of the series.

As I have said before this is a "Justice [not Revenge] K-Drama". If you believe that Sang-Pil is after revenge you have missed a very important point.

I take issue with your assertion that Sang-Pil's mother endangered her son. You make it sound as if she knew confronting Moon-Sook would lead to her and sons deaths. She had no idea what Moon-Sook was capable of. Her only mistake was believing in a person who was pure evil. Believing in people is what made her a good person, lawyer and mother. It was part of her core being. You are blaming the victim for the criminals actions.

I should emphasize this too: "Justice [not Revenge] K-Drama". BSP wants to punish judge and her puppets who are killing people with law, using "law".

@caeparius & @persianrose—Understood. I get that Sang-pil is seeking justice through the law. Otherwise, why bother get his GED, pass the bar, establish a career, set up shop in Gisung, fight Moon-sook in court, gather evidence ...

My intention isn't to blame Sang-pil's mother. I'm pointing out that being brave has risks; Mom doesn't have our benefit of hindsight to know the depths of Moon-sook's ambition.

Living has risks. For example, deciding to cross the road [rogue chickens], taking a bath [slip and fall], eating a meal I have prepared [only one confirmed mild poisoning], me cooking part deux [only one serious grease fire] could all be risky.

I was confused by the phrase "her actions endanger her son", but what we write is sometimes not the thought we intended to communicate. The antics of semantics!

3/3
Cha Mun-Sook: A Case Study of Psychopathy
Given the show’s expanded notions of family, I include Judge Cha Mun-sook among the mothers of Lawless Layers. After dispatching Hyun-joo, she actively mentored young Ha Jae-yi, paid for her education and invited JY to call her “Mother.”

@persianrose's question about CMS being a psychopath is an interesting one because I’ve been long fascinated by the blurry edge between pathology and just being a bastard. I’ll gently disagree with @caeparius's #131 assertion that maternal feelings are preposterous for Moon-sook. Her charm, ruthlessness and murderous manipulations do not preclude her from loving her (adopted) family, being a good judge and even a (grotesque) mother figure. Yes, she’s bloody awful, but maternal feelings do not have to be consistent or even come from a place of good.

@egads' #131 query about the possible gendered aspect of the psychopath question is equally intriguing. For me, it’s not a matter of gender. Both the judge and the mayor present themselves as “parents” to the people they support or protect. The difference is that Ah MIn-soo never forgets that he’s a gangster at the service of his master. The judge, however, believes her in her own piety. The most telling facet of her sociopathy is her demonic ability to manipulate and smite people in her swampy orbit while staying clean.

It’s deeply rewarding to have such fully-realized villains. As Alan Rickman was purported to have said, he didn’t play villains; he played “interesting people.” I can’t tell you the name of the hero in Die Hard, but I’ll always remember Hans Gruber.

@caeparius—I tagged you in my third post above; not sure why it didn't display properly.

*defiantly, fist in air*
F I G H T I N G !

? It's odd how tagging worked with @name straight but doesn't work when I add an apostrophe (unlike other names, which are unaffected). Curious ...

Sorry, I prefer my "blacklist" conspiracy theory...

Please do not confuse the issue with facts. I never let Occam's Razor get in the way of a good conspiracy.

I'm not receiving any notification for this thread either! @tsutsuloo @caeparius are you getting notifications?!

I seem to sneeze and sure enough there is a new reply or mention for me. Doesn't it work that way for you?

cc: @tsutsuloo, @persianrose

Haha, I got this one, but I didn't get any notification for @tsutsuloo tagging!

She has been "blacklisted"!

I am @persianrose.

@tsutsuloo are you really @persianrose? Isn't it against DB policy to post with two separate accounts? You do realize that at times you post two different options. Duel personalities?

Hahaha @caeparius

CORRECTION: options -> opinions

DAM! - auto-correct...

Ha, ha! For want of a comma.

This is a quote from PARENT post 131:

The seemingly good things that Moon-Sook may have done for Jae-Yi are all what I would consider as "fruit from a poisonous tree". They have no value because of the source. They would only have value if she was sorry and willing to take responsibility for her past actions.

I stand behind the above assertion and all the others I made in that post. I guess we have to just agree to disagree. Our definition of what makes someone a "mother" is just too different.

Since agreeing to disagree about this, let me leave you with the following rhetorical question:

Person [A] intentionally kills person [B] with full forethought for their actions [cold blooded] then later saves the life of person [C]. Is person [A] a murder?

PLEASE do not post an answer [rhetorical question].

I like this: "Yes, she’s bloody awful, but maternal feelings do not have to be consistent or even come from a place of good"... We will see if she actually has maternal feelings or HJY is part of her BIG plan as well!

From Collins English Dictionary:

Maternal is used to describe feelings or actions which are typical of those of a kind mother toward her child.

Even assuming the "kind" description is too much. Does Moon-Sook really fit this definition?
NOTE: In addition, "makjang" is NOT present in the definition.

cc: @persianrose, @tsutsuloo

FUN FACTOID: Occam's Razor is the problem-solving principle that, when presented with competing hypothetical answers to a problem, one should select the answer that makes the fewest assumptions.

NOTE: K-Drama writers are specifically trained to ignore Occam's Razor.

Ha!

@caeparius are you Latin literature expert by any chance?

No, but I have an interest in word origins. The internet requires user names, passwords and email addresses. Latin can come in handy for these items. My alias "caeparius" means "onion seller/merchant" in Latin. It was originally chosen as a temporary ebay alias. It has lasted much longer than intended and has become my anonymous user name. I would have preferred nemo, ["nobody" in Latin] but DAM! Disney made that impossible.

You have such an interesting interest :))
And I like your anonymous user name, it has such mysterious vibe!

Let's hear it for philology and etymology! Manseh!

@pakalanapikake - it is nothing that formal, just a bit of tinkering.

About 80 percent of the entries in any English dictionary are borrowed, mainly from Latin. Over 60 percent of all English words have Greek or Latin roots. In the vocabulary of the sciences and technology, the figure rises to over 90 percent. About 10 percent of the Latin vocabulary has found its way directly into English without an intermediary.

Like you, I've long been interested in word origins and roots. I grew up with my mother's Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, most likely the 5th edition (1947). It spoiled me with its detailed word derivations. Lesser dictionaries skimp on this vital component -- as well as thumb notches.

I worked as a German translator, with anthropology as one of my main areas. In addition to lots of technical and scientific terminology, there was a fair amount of social-science vocabulary that did not appear in normal or even specialized German dictionaries. The ability to recognize Germanized Latin and Greek turned out to be a very useful skill. It was fun, too.

Re Post 152: @tstsuloo BSP mother told AOJ: "I will settle any disputes through the law..." . Rather than bravery, she just did what she was supposed to do as a Human Right Lawyer. Imaging if she hasn't tried to bring CMS to justice, what would've happened?! She probably had to run away whole her life with BSP!! BSP's Mom is his role model, thus he is not going for revenge but justice!

Sorry, I mean @tsutsuloo

Good points, @persianrose.

For me—given that Choi Jin-ae was operating in a corrupt system—"doing her job" took on the mantle of bravery when it was easier, more profitable and safer to let things slide.

Sure, she was human right lawyer, this type of jobs, in such a corrupted condition, need extreme bravery in the first place! What I wanted to say is the moment she saw those pictures she was dead meat already! CMS would have killed her anyway...

I was reading through all the comments, and wonder why there are not too many commented on actings!! I think actors in this drama are all so brilliant!! Specially the main four characters! One of my most favorite scenes in Lawless Lawyer are when attorney Bong confronts judge Cha. OMG! their chemistry is off the charts! They both have such fierce eyes and cunning smiles, it's like they're shooting daggers at each other!!

Agreed @ljgangel! I love the word you coined on your fan page: enemance.

The casting is spot-on for everyone. I will be furious if Lee Hye-young (Cha Moon-sook) isn't nominated for every acting award available. I feel her nuanced performance is at the root our lively discussion upthread about her pathology and the nature of her complex feelings for Ha Jae-yi.

I don't remember any other k-dramas made such a multi-faceted villains with such a complex like/hate relationships between enemies (HJY and CMS; BSP and AOJ; etc.)... So yes Enemence could be a new K-drama trope :)

LAWLESS LAWYER EPISODES 13 & 14 MARKER

Episode 13: such a great episode, with so many turns and twists!!

THE "PERFECT" ANTIDOTE FOR NOBEL IDIOCY

Without going into too many details, who knew the perfect antidote for NOBLE IDIOCY would require treacherous gangsters, a loyal scorpion, a barrel, a corrupt mayor, a "swim with the fishes", and a lawless lawyer. This is one talented writer. The icing on the cake was by the end of the "treatment", Jae-Yi's mother was planning on visiting a shaman to get a "lucky" wedding date.

I usually wait until both episodes are completely subbed, but wow maybe I should just jump right in. That seems like a lot of antidote.

If this helps, there was no uber dramatic cliff hanger. However, TEAM LAWLESS is posed and fully prepared to begin the final assault on Moon-Sook so the anticipation is electrifying.

Me too, but I dove into Ep. 13 when it was only subbed at 70%. Just finished the last bit this morning. It's my dream come true—a K-drama that isn't going of the rails. I wouldn't be surprised if Writer-nim completely storyboarded before filming. It's like he watched Secret Forest and realized, "Oh. We can tell tighter stories."

BEST HERO MONOLOGUE in K-DRAMA!

Moon-Sook's planning was masterful, she was using him to rid herself of all her liabilities. However, Moon-Sook's had made one fatal mistake. She never considered that he would partner with, the super sexy and almost perfect female role model, Jae-Yi. Their partnership would bring about her downfall and a couple of super adorable children, future lawyers.

NOTE: I may have taken some liberties with the wording.

SORRY, BUT GOING OFF TOPIC FOR A MOMENT

@egads - In a previous post we discussed the role of conflict in a K-Drama. The currently airing "What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim" is too perfect an example, of a K-Drama without conflict, to ignore. It is at episode 6 and thus far has relied completely on the unbelievable super cute, fish out of water main couple. However, even watching puppies and kittens play becomes akin to watching paint dry. This will happen a lot quicker than you might think. This K-Drama is rapidly approaching uber boring. It needs a rapid injection of conflict. Even with that it might be too late to properly save it. Poorly crafted conflict can be just as bad as no conflict. Be careful what you wish for, you might actually get it and be bored to tears.

Good point. Every good story needs a conflict of some sort as without it, why bother telling it because your audience will have no reason to be invested.

continuing the off topic However, I will have to agree to disagree with you about WWWSK for now. While so far the conflict seems to be very low stakes--The puppy's ego and newly realized feelings for the resigning kitten he has relied on--there are times when an audience wants/needs low impact conflict. Case in point, when reality, whether it be personal or otherwise, becomes conflict ridden itself. Escapism with fluffy puppies and kittens has its own place within fiction. Lawless Lawyer is yet another form of escapism with a conflict that most likely few of us will ever experience. The political plotting and corruption, disappearing mothers, gangsters, and the exciting fight sequences allow us to work through frustrations with our own every day through the excitement and angst of this fictional world. WWWSK, on the other hand, allows for a fantasy of a different sort. What each individual audience member wants or needs from their drama consumption varies, and what I most enjoy about the world of kdrama, is I can meet my own needs from the wide variety of genres and storytelling techniques that abound within it. While one person may be bored to tears while watching puppies and kittens frolic, another may need the soothing playfulness of it. Is WWWSK brilliantly plotted and crafted? Nope. Could it possibly devolve into a mess of ill conceived conflict and tropes? Yep. But I'm not writing it off just yet. In the meantime, I will enjoy the pretty and the petty, because honestly my own life is a little to real right now, and a fluffy petty puppy is just what I need.

@egads

LMAO - I literally meant real puppies and kittens playing. I was not referring to the cast in any way shape or form. You give me way to much credit for being clever.

"What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim" is at a pivotal place, in the next 2 episodes it needs to extend its storyline. Otherwise, it will be just another 8 episode K-Drama which aired 16 episodes to tell its story. I believe that extended storyline needs to come in the form of a conflict that will draw the viewers in, allowing the viewers to become more vested in the characters and drama-verse.

"1% of Anything (2016 OCN)" is an excellent example of a K-Drama that was able to stay lighthearted and feel good, with just the correct amount of conflict. It was a little old school, but managed to have a no-nonsense strong female lead with a kick butt BFF. In my book, this K-Drama is a must watch. I have several times. What makes it even more interesting is that it is a remake of an older K-Drama, but still manages to stay fresh.

Oh, but puppies and kittens were so on point. Park Seo-joon is like a big floppy puppy to me, both here and in other roles. WWWSK is definitely on the cusp of either maintaining or doing a dive into mushiness.

1% is a favorite low stakes conflict with high satisfaction drama for me. I find strong female leads in these types of stories make for a more enjoyable viewing experience for me.

Even a broke clock is correct twice a day. Finally, my love of watching puppies and kittens play has made me seem more intelligent.

There are several things that make "1% of Anything (2016 OCN)" a compelling watch. The female lead experiences almost no character growth, she does not need to. She is not perfect, but she is her own person with very strong beliefs and the courage to follow them. She is the catalyst to change the people around her. She helps the very flawed male lead reach his true potential. She also manages to help almost everyone she meets along the way.

The original writer was also responsible for the rewrite. Consequently, they story is even tighter than the original.

@caeparius June 24, 2018 at 7:12 AM

I didn't know that the original writer did the script for the 2016 remake. I've only seen the 2003 drama with Gang Dong-won.

Interestingly, Choi Min-soo, Hizzoner the Mayor of Gisung, was also in it, although I don't recall him. It was early in my non-sageuk watching.

@caeparius,

I'd like to respectfully point out that there's conflict and then there's conflict. In WHAT'S WRONG WITH SECRETARY KIM, I see plenty of internal conflict bubbling below the surfaces of the OTP, with hints of fraternal strain, personal and family trauma, and maybe a big fat birth secret, for all we know. ;-)

As far as absence of conflict is concerned, that has been raised to a high art form in manga / manhwa -- and Kdrama -- through the use of Ki-sho-ten-ketsu (4-part plot structure without inherent conflict). It lends itself particularly well to character studies, which is what we're seeing in WWWSK. ;-)

@pakalanapikake - Why so formal, you are scaring me. I am sorry, if I inadvertently offended you. You are obviously very knowledgable about this subject.

Slice-of-Life K-Dramas use only the conflicts experienced in daily life to drive the story forward. There are some really amazing slice-of-life K-Dramas available. I am a big fan! Life can not exist without some form of conflict. Regardless, of the type of conflict a 16 episode K-Drama needs 16 episodes worth of conflict. Not all of the 16 episodes have to have conflict in them, but there must be enough to carry the storyline. I suspect that "What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim" will be just another 8 to 10 episode K-Drama which aired 16 episodes to tell its story. I hope that I am wrong.

WWWSK is not a Slice-of-Life K-Dramas at all!! WWWSK is type of luxury rom-com made for 10-22 age-group... sure older generation can watch it too, while folding their laundries or running in the gym... to me there is absolutely zero conflict in that story (except some copy-paste child-oppa saved me so I love him now as an adult)

WHOA! - I never said or even implied that "What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim" was a slice-of-life K-Drama. I just followed up on @pakalanapikake assertion that there are many types of conflict. I discussed slice-of-life K-Dramas because the use a very subtle type of everyday conflict. IMHO slice-of-life K-Dramas are very difficult to write properly. Getting the correct amount of conflict to drive the story, but still remain true to genre is very difficult. Anyone who has suffered through a poorly written one understands the reference. A real snooze festival.

The only things I managed to decipher from your second statement is that you seem to have very odd laundry and exercise habits. What exactly is a "copy-paste child-oppa"? I found that phrase very very confusing.

I'm don't think anyone would mistake WWWSK as a slice of life drama. Additionally, I am far removed from the 10-22 age-group, but still enjoy watching a well made rom-com chaebol/candy or otherwise.

Is the conflict huge? No, but there is inner conflict for both leads, as well as the tropey shared childhood trauma. Is WWWSK ground-breaking? No, but not all dramas can be, nor should they be. As I stated in my previous post, the familiar is sought by some audiences for a variety of reasons. If this isn't your thing, no worries, I'll enjoy it, but I might not be folding laundry or running in the gym while I do.

@caeparius,

Oh, dear... I was just being polite and scholarly pedantic, as an educational service to fellow Beanies. So many poor souls bemoan boring, draggy Kdrama plots that go nowhere... and take forever to get there. Unlike that faithful old firehorse, Three-Act Structure, which reliably takes off like a shot and drags the viewer from beginning to middle to end in jig time, with no thought required.

*bats droopy eyelids*

Not to mention I was quite sleep deprived when writing the original post (and still am). This is my brain on no sleep. It's not a pretty sight. ;-)

I'll admit that I ramble on about ki-sho-ten-ketsu at the drop of a hat because it miraculously enabled me to appreciate Japanese and Korean dramas that didn't fit the common 3-act and 5-act forms I was exposed to as an English Literature major back when mastodons and sabre-tooth cats were still getting themselves trapped in the La Brea Tar Pits.

ki = introduction
sho = development
ten = twist
ketsu = conclusion

No conflict needed, central or otherwise. What a relief.

Back to your point that there may only be sufficient storyline for 8-10 episodes, and that it will be stretched and diluted to fill the necessary air time. That concern is always at the back of my mind.

Here's hoping that Writer-nim refrains from sticking us with excessive scenes of obnoxiously un-funny Se-ra and other gratuitous filler.

It looks as if Young-joon's parents are actually relatively normal for chaebols, so that's a plus.

@pakalanapikake - I would like to focus in on the Manga/Manhwa and K-Drama portion of your post. To simplify matters I am going to refer to Manga/Manhwa as just Manhwa going forward. Though it is true that many Manhwa have been turned into K-Dramas, I believe the reverse is almost never true. It is much easier to take a high art form and adapt it to be small screen commercial entertainment. The tricky part is of course maintaining the original quality. I do not want to suggest the adaption does not require a talented writer. It most certainly does. However taking the lesser and turning it into the greater is a task of a much different scale.

As my sainted grandmother used to say your thumb is a finger, but not all fingers are thumbs. Your thumb is very special and can not be replaced. Then she would do the disappearing thumb trick and scare the hell out of me. I miss my grandmother.

Apparently, grandma was wrong. It is possible to replace a missing thumb with your big toe.

The manhwa is already composed in 4-part structure, and can be transposed into a drama. But taking a drama with structure other than 4-part and turning it into a manga could well change the narrative to something quite different from the original.

Somehow I'm reminded of the difference between turning a cow into hamburger vs. turning hamburger into a cow...

Your grandmother sounds like quite a card. In a good way. Aside from the whole missing thumb thing. ;-)

My Trope Detector seems to be going off for some odd reason...

I have several smoke detectors in my house, but no trope detector. Where did you acquire yours? Was it expensive? Who makes it? Is it battery powered or AC powered?

@caeparius June 25, 2018 at 2:22 PM

About my Trope Detector. Believe it or not, it's a latent organ that has come into being after watching scads of Kdramas and Kmovies.

I'm not exactly sure where it's physically located, either. At times, I could swear that it seems to be abaft of my pineal, sort of a Kdrama "second sight." At other times, it feels as if it's playing peek-a-boo with my hara, although it seems to drift over behind my spleen occasionally. That would make sense at the gut level. Once in a while, it feels as if it's related to the hackles rising on the back of my neck. It really gets around. Very hard to pin down.

I suspect that you're onto something here, @caeparius. You could make a fortune inventing and selling Trope Detectors to the masses of Kdrama fans who apparently lack a predisposition to evolve their own biological ones. Perhaps a rudimentary Trope Detector could be engineered using the olfactory as a starting point. Follow your nose. ;-)

Finished ep.13 last night. This is what has me intrigued at this point. BSP uncle sacrificed himself but seemed to have a plan of his own in doing so. His leading man (KMB) seems to suddenly have turned on his own gang or "family" and now works directly for CMS herself. That was sudden. He is now seemingly the lead of the entire gang, the new leader and inheritor after BSP passes away and he chooses that moment to go to the other side and serve as CMS new "dog". KMB character is interesting in this episode for 2 reasons: 1. If his loyalty to BSP uncle was only skin deep then that shows his uncle had terrible judgement in choosing his number one man. The uncle himself told BSP trust no one. Yet, he puts himself at risk, dies and leaves the whole gang in KMB hands. Why make such a simplistic move to help CMS gain a stronger ally? 2. The encounter between (KMB) and CMS "number 1" (NSJ) is very interesting in this. It shows that KMB is no pushover to NSJ but in that scene Scorpion is in the background overhearing their exchange. There is something very subtle in that exchange that made me think , "What if KMB didn't betray BSP uncle? What if this was part of his uncle's plan? The knife against the gun. The only way to win that encounter would be to place an exactly strategic mortal wound in the opponent. To do this you need to get close enough to the enemy. CMS took an awful big risk in accepting KMB as someone within her inner circle. Wouldn't that add an interesting twist to all this?

I think you are being too hard on Sang-Pil's uncle. It is impossible to know what is in anyone else's heart other than your own. People change and Moon-Sook is a master manipulator, she has been planning this for a very long time. She knows how to exploit peoples weaknesses. His 2nd, might have secretly feared that Sang-Pil would have eventually taken over from his uncle. Moon-Sook's plan allowed him to take over and frame Sang-Pil for his uncles murder [ie discredit him]. He may have secretly always perceived Sang-Pil as a rival to his leadership of the gang.

hi @caeparius, I actually was secretly hoping that the uncle had devised a plan to plant KMB in Moon-Sook's inner laird. I thought it would have added such a cool twist to it all....sadly, I think we are too close to the end for such a complicated turn of events, and the answers will unfold differently.....

Congratulations @caeparius as revealed in ep 14 he was indeed jealous to BSP, therefore betrayed uncle... uncle was fully aware of his betrayal and thus he came to Gisung without his No 1 man and his team! I'm sure uncle planned something that will eventually help BSP bringing down CMS

I mean to congratulate @caeparius for 100% correct speculation this time 😉

In my last comment, I meant to write, after BSP's uncle passes away......sorry for the typo.

Oh no.
I just realized that this drama is going to end. It will be over.
I'm not ready.
I'm enjoying the cruelly twisty turny way it is.
I don't even care what this reveals about me as a person.
Arghl.

I'm not ready at all! I love/hate all the characters and want to watch them more! Can they make a season 2 please...

I love that the noble idiocy turned out to be an elaborate instead. What I love more is our couple is back together to kick ass for the last few eps. Now I just have to try to wait patiently for ep 13 subs without watching it raw. It's so hard!

*ep14

I knew that they're not going to throw an outdated k-drama NI trope in such well-writen and wll-executed drama...

I believe this is not a right place to discuss WWWSK, but just to avoid any confusion, I post this here. I did not mean to say that only 10-22 yr should watch the drama (I'm watching it myself and I'm in my late 30s), I mean the drama made for that age group or should be more appealing for that age group!! Although the two leads are in their early 30s, they most of the time behave like 18-yr olds!! All the comedic parts are quite cartoonish too!! Not necessarily in a bad way, they're just mean to be that way! It's an easy watch rom-com (with lots of luxurious items that makes it more watchable because people naturally like oppa in luxury outfits and vehicles!!)... their childhood trauma so far seems to be a mixture of Kill Me Heal Me + H and J &I... no special conflict at least so far...

Why, I am confused?

Haha, probably because my English is too bad 😯

No worries, your English is just fine.

I think LL as a series has quite a few plot holes that require suspension of disbelief but its entertainment value makes up for it. An Oh Ju is getting to be quite a likeable villain, with his witty repartee and rather glorious singing even as he bludgeons someone with his name plate. Prosecutor SB has been underused in the last few episodes and I like his interactions with BSP. BSP's character is all the better for respecting someone who always brings him down a notch or two. It's ironic that BSP and HJI end up working with and defending all of Judge Cha's key minions. I would find it hard to even tolerate the man who stabbed my mum or the woman who ordered her death (NSP did coldbloodedly order HJI's mum death). That collaboration does humanise the bad guys and the drama's better for it.

I am very new to k-drama/korean culture and only familiar with Chinese norms but is it weird that HJI and BSP get called by their full names even by their loved ones. Why not just SP or JI?

About BSP & HJY keep calling each other in full names, that's my peeves too! I thought it was me nitpicking Bong-Ha couple ^^;;
Some said that couples don't suddenly drop honorifics, especially the new couple. But they already over phase 3 on ep 6, add honorifics -ssi should be okay, right? rather keep calling each other in full names. Oh well, maybe it's Korean thing that I don't familiar with....

It's because they're working with each other... As far as I know in Korean culture, workplace senior/junior, calling people with their designation (Doctor, Attorney, Prosecutor, CEO, etc...) and honorific talking is very important, even close family call each other like that... BSP always calls HJY with her first name whenever they're out of workplace...

Yes, I noticed the work titles - eg Attorney Ja, but the formality between the couple is a bit weird even by Asian norms. Don't Miss or Mr exist in Korean?

Here in North America we all call each other with our first names, no matter what's the rank or seniority!! You must have a super high rank (e.g. Prime Minister) to be called Sir, or Mam. But in SK even parents sometime call their children with their ranks, and last name used a lot (sometime mother call their little child using full last and 1st name)... So I guess using full 'last +1st name' does not have the same level of formality it has in other culture... Also it's very normal for them to call someone using their rank, even close families and friends...

Thank you all for the replies. I am not familiar with Korean norms as I said and it's good to get this background as it seems unique to Korea.

Iceland is a fascinating outlier, where everyone (including the Prime Minister) goes by first names. Generally, your last name is "son" or "dóttir" appended to your father's or mother's first name. Exceptions are for inherited non-Icelandic (immigrant) names. Can you imagine calling the Prime Minister or President of your nation by her/his first name?

Well, no, not in the same way. All languages and cultures have different norms, and while it may seem unusual, because their professional and personal relationships are intertwined it could be the formalities will stay in place longer.

I'm not satisfied with the reunion of Jae Yi's parents. Like why didn't her dad question what happened to his wife? Even if Jae Yi did tell him the truth (something that this drama didn't show), why there's no scene of her dad being furious at Judge Cha for what she did?

There is an excellent chance he would not believe his wife and daughter. He is an uber Moon-Sook Fanboy!

Lol..."An uber Moon Sook fanboy"
You're right!
He even hit his daughter cos of her, so that is also possible...

Just my quick note on ep 14, I don't think HJY is dumb enough to fall on AOJ threat and come to the most thug in CMS gang face to face. It wasn't the first time she did a harsh thing like this, it seems to me that she's never learned! I do understand that she doesn't want to get her family involved in her and BSP war, but that doesn't justify her irrational move. At least get Tae Kwang-So involved, he's BSP no 2 right? The same thing applied to BSP, he was just lost it when AOJ picks up HJY phone.
Yes, I know that they were the leads but that doesn't mean they can't be smarter.
Then again.... its heart overruled the head. I know that, but still.... it's cliche to me. We are down to last 2 episodes and I thought the writer can do better than this!

@xiupei - I believe that Jae-Yi did not fall for Oh-Joo's trap, but rather saw this as an opportunity to convince Oh-Joo to help them take Moon-Sook down. Her worse nightmare is for Sang-Pil and Oh-Joo to meet without her present. One of them would end up dead, which is a lose lose situation. She is the only possible voice of reason for those two testosterone driven fighting machines. Sang-Pil is Moon-Sook's perfect sword because he could NEVER work with Oh-Joo to take her down. Jae-Yi is the game changer. Jae-Yi also knows Sang-Pil would never let her go and that Oh-Joo wants Sang-Pil not her. She has made a calculated risk and put her faith in TEAM LAWLESS.

Yes, the preview clues hint at some kind of collaboration between AOJ and BSP. The fake death of one of them to throw CMS further off track. BSP's plan is presumably some grand denouement of CMS in court, in full glare of the media. Incriminating photos have barely scathed her, and HJI's mum turning up by herself to testify will barely do it. Her two former lackeys and Man Bae will have to come up with the goods. It will take hammer blow after hammer blow in court to bring down out villainess. I hope dirt is dished on her dad too, as that is a vulnerable point of hers.

For example, Moon-Sook's father wore lingerie under his judge's robes.

For starters. An awful birth secret - AOJ is her illegitimate half brother- and the revelation that both had a fling in their misbegotten youth?

Oh-Joo's threat against her father was an obvious bluff. Sang-Pil has Scorpion and his men protecting them. Oh-Joo's is on the run with very limited resources.

100% agree. "Jae-Yi is the game changer" and the only person who can actually makes a deal with AOJ. She made a deal with AOJ before, and she Knows very well that AOJ is not going to kill her when he needs both HJY and BSP to bring CMS down!! 'Enemies of your enemy are your best friends' when you're in a war...

@xiupei Actually I think Jae-Yi made such a smart move!! She learned her lesson and she's well aware that they cannot win against judge Cha only using "Law". They need every resources, even if it means she needs to make a deal with someone who practically killed both BSP's Mom and uncle... she is the only person who can make a deal with AOJ!

Both Sang-Pil and Jae-Yi work within the law, but just barely. To do otherwise, would make them no better than the Seven.

Who is to blame for the terrible, amateurish scene cuts? A freeze-frame that stays on screen for more than a second. Why. It takes me out of the story. Grr.

Please forgive @persianrose and @pakalanapikake, it is all their fault.

@ysbee ys
cc: @caeparius, @persianrose, @rukia

Dang! I am so sorry. The razor blade slipped when I was splicing the tape. I hate it when that happens.

@rukia did her best to stop them, but she was unable.

Probably happened while I was setting up the defense perimeter around my home. I thought that @caeparius would be ensuring quality control....
Ahem.

@rukia caught me again, it is really my fault. @persianrose and @pakalanapikake are completely innocent of all bogus charges. Please have some tofu ready for when I get out.

Bad @caeparius. #No TofuForYou.

cc: @ysbee ys, @caeparius, @persianrose

Hey, @rukia, you were only doing what you had to do. Until the day that you can say "Raise shields" against the Gnome Apocalypse, you'll have to secure your perimeters the old-fashioned way.

Um, where do you want me to park the trebuchet?

Psst, @persianrose, did you bring the pumpkins?

O.o

Sorry @ysbee it's all my fault for selling my commercials to tVN and luring everyone to watch LL, so they can see my commercials :))
Sidenotes: I read somewhere that tVN makes a whole lot of profits from intermission commercials of their weekend dramas!!

I haven't watched Ep. 14 yet. Does anyone comment on Jae-yi's haircut? She looks fierce. If this were a sci-fi series, she'd have a shaved head for their last battle. (Think Ripley in Alien or Imperator Furiosa in Mad Max.)

I think @tsutsuloo got the soju mixed up with the bottled water.

*hiccup*

I agree. Love her new look. She looks a bit older too.

Beware of Spoilers

I'm in the midst of rewatching ep. 13 before seeing ep. 14 for the first time.

A couple of things jumped out at me this time around:

1) I realized at last that Gisung is Gotham City, and now the larger-than-life villains make sense to me. It hit me in ep. 13, @0:01:30, when we see Judge Cha at her seat in her empty courtroom as she hears from the chief prosecutor that Hizzoner is doomed. The lighting of the dark, panelled wall and emblems of the court above her and on the chairbacks suddenly struck me.

[final image in MOON LOVERS ep. 11 recap]

2) I'm still wondering how Judge Cha learned that little Sang-pil escaped with his life. Was Samchoon's #2 already co-opted when the kid arrived on Unc's doorstep? Even back then?

3) Scorpion is #3. Samchoon told him to go to jail, and visited him there the day before he died to tell him to protect Sang-pil. Dae-woong obviously knew that his first mate was unreliable. He did what any smart person does: He kept his friends close, and his enemies closer.

4) The fix is in: Judge Cha tells Madam Nam to get rid of all her borrowed-name accounts, but to keep a few in Nam's and her daughter's names.

Is Nam stupid that she doesn't see that she and her prosecutor daughter are being set up to spend a lot of time in jail? No. Madam Nam is blinded by greed, and is so mesmerized by the prospect of wealth that she ignores the warning signs of betrayal.

"It will never happen to me."

She should be thinking: "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts."

Those accounts are a Trojan horse.

5) Hizzoner walks in on toady Seok Gwan-dong looting his safe, and is ready to shoot him. The terrified henchman tells his boss that he's playing into Sang-pil's plan to make the Mayor a murderer. What an inspired defense! This is exactly what Judge Cha does, but not Sang-pil.

I really think that Hizzoner was testing Gwan-dong, and scaring the crap out of him so he would not abandon him. He and Mr. Kim, his aid who's been on the lam since taking the fall for the murder blamed on Sang-pil, are the only two underlings who are still "loyal" to Mayor An Oh-ju.

Hizzoner's motivational methods are hair-raising.

* back to watching ep. 13 *

I like the Gotham City metaphor @pakalanapikake https://goo.gl/images/g43fHt

I never thought that Gwan-dong character can grow on me so much!! He is utterly dumb and terrible yet so reasonable at times!!! I heard Choi Dae-hoon is doing the majority of ad-libs in this drama!

@persianrose,

I totally agree. Choi Dae-hoon is knocking it out of the ballpark with his obsequious toady routine. His little mannerisms, and the microexpressions that flit across his face, just slay me. His tones of voice, especially the wheedling ones, are daebak. What a great character actor. He makes me feel sympathy for this lunkhead who probably would have been a law-abiding oaf if he'd gotten a break or two earlier in life. Or maybe not. I've had a feeling that he's going to be a red shirt, but you never know.

Gwan-dong has grown on me, too. What especially got me was the scene in the getaway car with Secretary Kim when he tells Hizzoner that he should take care of his health. He's worried that his boss is ruining his health by smoking -- when Judge Cha has already unleashed the prosecutors on him. Now wonder Hizzoner throws a length of pipe at him. LOL. -- It was the utter sincerity in his voice that got me.

All the supporting characters are just great. AOJ, GD, GG and his sister who is just too adorable for words and even GS, whose loyalty and devotion is unquestionable. The only disappointing characters are HJI's parents and Ms Nam - I just cant stand her constant screaming.

Almost every k-drama has a loud screaming character, this is another Mandatory Trope! The only reason I'm less annoyed with Ms Nam is Yum Hye-Ran brilliant portrayal of her character... She is a good actress...

@persianrose,

Thank you for identifying another trope for the KDRAMA BINGO Trope List, which I have added on your behalf. At this time it is awaiting moderation. ;-)

It's in the same post with #122: Meta-reference to filming a drama under strand #17 in this comment thread:

I agree with you about Yun Hye-ran's performance as Big Bad Wannabe Ms. Nam. She deftly projects superiority towards her perceived inferiors, subservient greed towards her master, and jealousy for status towards the other 7, mixed with maternal protectiveness and pride -- all underlain by niggling fear, then growing horror of betrayal by Judge Cha.

For some reason, perhaps the pitch of her voice, her hollering doesn't bother me as much as Hwang Jung-eum's did in the early episodes of THE UNDATEABLES before she toned it down.

Hi @persianrose. I am caught up and making my way through the comments. Thanks for the shout out for Choi Dae-hoon's performance as Suk Kwan-dong. He is right up there with some great kdrama weasels.

Yes, at first I thought Suk Kwan-dong is another K-Drama annoying characters that has no motivation other than jealousy! But I was 100% wrong! His character was quite interesting and a very good complement as Ahn Oh Ju's minion! Choi Dae-hoon's performance was so on point and natural with his unforgettable antics, and his unique ad-libs that were really fun to watch!

"I'm still wondering how Judge Cha learned that little Sang-pil escaped with his life".
I guess BSP's Mom death was in the news (= Gisung human right attorney committing suicide) but there was no news about her son death! Obviously Judge Cha (who is not a sloppy gangster like AOJ) did her research to find out where is BSP. As she was friend with attorney CJA, she probably knew about her gangster brother too, so it was not difficult for her to locate BSP!
Re uncle's #2 , uncle certainly was aware that he's betraying him and he's CMS's dog (his man might even killed him once CMS get to the point to destroy BSP) thus uncle went to Gisung without taking his #2! My guess is #2 started to work with CMS right after BSP passed the bar exam, he was so jealous of him (knowing that the gang might consider BSP as #2 instead of him)...

Family Register? - After his mother's death, his uncle registered him under his name? As an officer of the court she would have access to private information and be able to search the family register.

Was he registered under his name? Because they have different last names... here comes the old question: Who is Sang-Pil's father?! I hope they don't throw a birth secret in that last two episodes!!

@persianrose,

I've been wondering not only about Sang-pil's father... but also about Mr. Kang, father of the prosecutor. I shudder at that backstory. Madam Nam is such an unsympathetic harridan ($64 synonym for the b word) that I cannot imagine any normal human male doing anything but running away as fast as possible. That leaves two possibilities: (1) Ms. Nam bagged the unfortunate Mr. Kang on Sadie Hawkins Day, or (2), she's really a giant spider in disguise and devoured him after mating.

Ep. 13 -- Beware of Spoilers

1) Man, that Scorpion is one smooth operator. Talk about grace under pressure. As soon as I saw the barrel, I knew there was going to be a switcheroo. Maybe it was Sang-pil's attention to detail that made them bring bags of ballast to swap for the masseuse. But I loved how seamlessly Scorpion and his men pulled off the switch and hotfooted it to the dock before Hizzoner's crew could catch them.

2) When Scorpion eavesdropped on Samchoon's former #2 [Kwon Man-bae], I couldn't help but wonder if he had a way to secretly hack the surveillance system and send copies of incriminating evidence even more juicy than Madame Nam giving the order to whack Jae-yi's mom.

3) Famous Last Words Dep't.:
Judge Cha to Chief Prosecutor: "I am so relieved to have you at my side."

Translation from Cha-Speak: "I am so thrilled to have another oblivious stooge to throw under the bus. After I rob him of all his assets, of course."

4) I felt like barfing during the scene of Judge Cha filming her spiel about being drafted to serve as the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Her pious claptrap about revising the law or whatever was said in a tone of voice that really got my goat. I'm just waiting for her to start peaking with the imperial we.

5) Did anyone notice how later closeups of Judge Cha are soft-focus? In one of them in her chambers, she was smiling to herself at how her cleaning house and getting rid of her opponents was going. In the past, the lighting and focus were hard and sharp-edged. I think it is signalling that she's losing focus, but I could be wrong. She's counting her chickens before they've hatched.

@pakalanapikake Let's talk about item #5 after you finish ep 14!

@persianrose,

I'm caught up and finished watching ep. 14. -- And just finished ep. 6 of LIFE ON MARS, which is terrific.

Back to #5. What's your take on it?

your analysis about close-ups of Judge Cha is really an interesting take! She looked quite guarded and sometime even stressed through the first 11 episodes, but seemed to loosen gradually especially in episode 12... My theory is AOJ was such huge burden on her shoulders, the one who was really hard for her to get rid of, without BSP involvements! She started to feel more relaxed once she confirmed AOJ is finished! But she was totally wrong! She underestimated the dogs that she (and her family) raised and she especially BSP, HJY and Lawless Firm! Therefore we can see in episode 14 that she started to be on guard once again and quite furious this time...

@persianrose,

My sense is that Judge Cha possesses keen insight into the motivations of a certain kind of person. She has surrounded herself with this type of person for most of her life. They are inferior “Mini Me” versions of herself, and all are motivated by materialism rather than love, honor, or true regard for the law, the nation, or its citizenry.

She has encountered only a few people who could not be bought off. Interestingly, both were mothers immensely devoted to their children. I don't think she ever met Samchoon in person. But I consider him on par with his sister in the maternal love department.

I think that Judge Cha is inherently incapable of loving another human being. Love would entail regarding the other as her equal, and she just ain't wired that way. Instead, I think that her only relationship is with power. She's not interested in money or fame per se, although I'm sure she enjoys the comfortable life they afford her. They are merely by-products of, and tools for, the acquisition and manipulation of power. In another universe, she would be a Ferengi.

If anything, she is a ruthless narcissist. Not to mention a megalomaniac. As she cleans house, it becomes abundantly clear that she has no one in her life who isn't beholden to her in some way.

Her version of maternal love is a bloodless parody of the real thing. She did not love Jae-yi. She merely attempted to steal, rather than kill or enslave, her enemy's heir. It's a scenario straight out of a sageuk.

Judge Cha's fatal flaw is that she is incapable of loving. She will never be able to grok the willingness of a lover to put the other's needs and highest good above his or her own desires. She will never understand how love enables Sang-pil and Jae-yi to support each other's quest for justice and judgment before the law rather than mere vigilante revenge.

@pakalanapikake - Spot On!
Your insight into her "material love" was excellent. I have been trying to say something similar for a long time. I have wasted so many words and you managed to say it in one sentence.

Her version of maternal love is a bloodless parody of the real thing.

@caeparius July 4, 2018 at 5:20 AM

Why, thank you!

Judge Cha is one of the best-developed villains to come down the Kdrama pike in a spell. She has an amazing ability to mesmerize friend and foe alike. Mother Theresa of Gisung somehow charms every single one of them into thinking that she won't throw them under the bus after they've repeatedly witnessed her doing exactly that to minions who screwed up -- or simply outlived their usefulness. Is she related to Hypnotoad, by any chance? Or maybe -- does she attract henchpeople with tremendous capacity to delude themselves? Or perhaps that's a side-effect of having one's conscience surgically removed. ;-)

Judge Cha is truly gifted when it comes to simulating care for others. I noticed that often when she expressed concern for another person, her words could be taken more than one way. She spoke with forked tongue.

The only material object that seemed to mean anything to her was her judge's robe. That was probably because it is one of the trappings of power. She can't seem to be bothered by mundane material stuff -- unlike The Material Girl. ;-)

Madam Nam, on the other hand, is one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p-lDYPR2P8. ;-)

Ep. 13-14: Beware of Spoilers

During the scene in which Sang-pil takes Jae-yi to a house to meet her mother after Scorpion and his boys rescued her, I was ready to tear my hair out. Instead of meeting indoors, they stand around outside where anyone with good vantage point and a telescopic sight or telephone lens could see them. Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! It's like loitering in a crosswalk at night with your back to oncoming traffic. Sheesh.

Aside from that beef about potentially lax security, I was very glad when Mom told Jae-yi that she had sworn Sang-pil to secrecy, and also asked him to break up with her daughter to protect her.

Cue up Paul Simon (1972).

The later reunion with Photog Dad was weird. Earlier I opined that he might have been in on Mom's leaving for Thailand (as evidenced by his not remarrying in the intervening 12 years). Perhaps he was in shock. Or hedging his bets until the final battle is over.

They seemed to be in a large lakeside garden, in a village...

I should have been more specific and stated that Photog Dad's reunion with Missing Mom was weird because he didn't react when he saw her. There was zero emotional response that I could see.

That supports my earlier theory that Dad Ha might have known that Mom had gone into hiding. Think of the negatives she developed and had drying in the dark room. He could well have seen them, and known all along that she photographed something that could get her (and her whole family) killed. His not remarrying was another indicator that he knew she was still alive.

When we didn't see Photog Dad again for a bunch of episodes, I assumed that he could have been on vacation, aka in Scorpion's protective custody with Mom.

Hi @pakalanapikake. I am caught up and making my way through the comments and decided to stop in here.
I thought all the reunions with Mom were strange. I commented earlier on the lack of emotion at the BSP-Mom reunion. During the HJY-Mom reunion I kept thinking well, what about Dad your husband. I agree with you about the weirdness in the Dad-Mom reunion after 18 years.
At times I got the feeling that Dad knew Mom was still living and he was putting on a bit of an act being obsequious toward Judge Cha.

Good to see you on the 4th of July, @marcusnyc20 Bong-soo! It's been rather quiet around here, but not because the finale was a bust. On the contrary, it was a good one. I'm just flagging a bit after live-watching. I'm still up to my eyeballs in dramas, and even ended up adding ARE YOU HUMAN TOO, which is turning out to be a lot of fun, and a bit reminiscent of DUEL, what with the charming robot impersonating the incapacitated chaebol.

Back to Gisung and those strangely unemotional reunions with Jae-yi's Mom. The only explanation that makes sense to me is that Photog Dad knew all along that she was doing something dangerous and might have to split at the drop of a hat, although we never see them acknowledge it that I can recall. His klutzy fanboying over Judge Cha was just protective coloration. Maybe after 18 years of hiding, it still has yet to sink in that the nightmare is nearly over. Or perhaps they are loathe to jinx their happily ever after, and prefer to wait until Judge Cha has been dethroned to start singing, "Ding, dong, the witch is dead!" ;-)

Lol: "Ding, dong, the witch is dead!"

@pakalanapikake Re Post #173 : I like this idea that Judge Cha's minions are motivated by materialism and greed! They're not necessarily out-of-this-world smart people: with dark background or artificial motivations... they're just acquisitive people who see money above any morality...

LAWLESS LAWYER EPISODES 15 & 16 (FINAL) MARKER

Episode 15 – Beware of Spoilers

Part 1 of 3

Episode 15 opens up with Attorney Ha Jae-yi in the clutches of Hizzoner An O-joo and henchman Seok Gwan-dong. When lawyer Bong Sang-pil roars up to rescue her, the mayor pulls a gun on him and is ready to plug him. In a room nearby, Jae-yi listens with growing alarm and finally tramples over Gwan-dong to stop O-joo from shooting her partner. She reveals the memo book Judge Cha used to sic her former friend's son on the mayor. Hizzoner is agog at the revelations until he regains his presence of mind and moves on to the mandatory fight scene, which is very nicely choreographed.

The bare-knuckle fisticuffs reveals that Hizzoner's no-holds-barred street-fighting moves give him the edge over Sang-pil, at least in the beginning. He's bigger and stockier than the nimble lawyer, whom he repeatedly tosses through the air without breaking a sweat. Decades of thuggery have perfected his headbutts, eye-gouging, and other unsporting tricks. It has also toughened his hide and raised his pain threshold.

During the break following round one, Gwan-dong ministers to his boss by fanning him, giving him water, and generally carrying on like Rocky Balboa's manager (memorably played by Burgess Meredith). The only thing missing is hearing Choi Min-soo hollering “Adrian!”

Round two resumes. Eventually Sang-pil whacks him with his own nameplate from city hall. (Is that how his left forearm fractures, or does it snap later during their death grapple on the floor?) Jae-yi manages to persuade Sang-pil to refrain from choking his opponent to death. A vanquished Hizzoner mulls over whether to testify at Madam Nam's trial, with the understanding that the prosecution will rescind his all-points-bulletin. As Jae-yi drives them back to the office, Sang-pil notes that the former mayor has only two options: to take the fall for Judge Cha, or to take her (and retroactively, her father) with him.

Back at the office, Geum Gang & Co. demonstrate their rousing cheer for Judge Moon to the attorneys. It's hilarious – and Geum Gang has a great singing voice. The Lawless Team's contribution to the demonstration exhorting Judge Cha to accept the appointment as chief justice apparently pays off as news of her upcoming confirmation hearing breaks. In a related matter, several members of The 7 support her presiding over Madam Nam's trial as her final case in Gisung. The party leader does, too. When that news airs, the defendant freaks out and calls Sang-pil to meet in jail.

- Continued -

Nice recap 😉

I believe that during the AOJ-BSP fight this was the first time BSP used an object (the nameplate) to defend himself or rather inflict harm on an opponent. @pakalanapikake I think you emphasized throughout that BSP's only weapon was his body. Once again a great fight. Excellent description.

@marcusnyc20,

Thanks for the reminder that Sang-pil previously only defended himself. He had to go on the offensive against Hizzoner just to keep from getting killed. Since it was self-defense, it was legal, but I think it shows just how closely matched they were. Sang-pil could not afford to cling to his high ideals when up against a wily, amoral street-fighter. Hizzoner hadn't survived for decades by playing by the rules.