Open Thread #538

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

HAPPY FRIDAY~!

One more day before I can get my Hwayugi fix, lol. I don't think I can remember the last time I rewatched and analyzed a drama so intensely for any extra hidden clues. XD

I caught up with the latest episode of Master in the House with Lee Seung Gi and he continues to bring the funny, especially when he uses the set of Hwayugi (specifically the bookseller monster lair) as "a library" that he frequents only to show he was bluffing.

I haven't finished the first season of Hyori's Home Stay but I want to watch the newest one. Since it's winter in Massachusetts, I think it's more fitting.

Today is also payday for me so I'm going to Japanese bbq after work and I cannot wait. Hope everyone has a great weekend! :D

I am glad to know someone is enjoying Master in the house like I do. I just started watching Hyori's home stay and is pretty interesting too....

I took the day off of work and got up early to watch the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics. It's one of my favorite things and I cried more than once. Especially as the South Korean and North Korean hockey players carried the torch up to Yuna Kim. I got a bunch of Korea (As One) feels. I would love to see them do well so we can get another united team sports movie.

korean have other gold winners right? Why is yuna so famous? 1st asian to win gold medal or something like that is it? not so well versed with sports world

As far as I know Yuna won the gold in 2010, silver in 2014 (although many people say she deserved the gold), and accolades from other major competitions. She's like the "first lady of South Korea sports" as some websites would say.

Ya i remember that controversy.. about the silver medal.. one of the judges favoured their own.. something happened ( or was it the case of had she received the gold, she would have become the 1st woman to get consecutive gold in skating?)

anyways.. thnks for clarifying

@drawde2000 ofcourse why not.. she is young and a good role model to so many in her country and abroad

I was surprised that it was her that light the torch, since she already is the face of the Pyeongchang Olympics. So, it seems redundant.

But, if there are no other loved Olympians like her, then I guess why not choose her again. Just like in dramas, do the same concepts everyone until people gets tired of it.

I think they wanted to make the lighting of the torch really visual and unique. Having a small area for Kim to ice skate as she lights the torch was both. It was really beautiful but I was more moved by the two Koreas together.

ah.. smitten.. i need more recommendations like love so beautiful..

Korean Variety is all i have.. can anyone suggest any good variety/ or episodes other than following.. if there has been a good ep recently amongst on hold category..plz let me know

Watching:
1n2d, rm, society game, butler, ic an see your voice, hyori, KB, na PD jewels, night goblin
Halt:
ugly duckling,

Not keen on law of the jungle , mudo, mystery key

There is a surge in travel shows - wizard of nowhere, first time korea, seolmate.. nto sure how they are?

or japanese recommendation (hopefully less ott ones.. mystery/thriller anything if japanese :))

99.9's 2nd season has started already and also
manga > anime > live adaptation - Kakegurui

I just came across a MV on youtube for a currently airing Taiwanese drama called Love Is In The Air with Ivy Chen and Wang Zi Qi. I think you will like it. It is subbed only up to ep2 at the moment on fastdrama.co.

Is Running Man considered variety? I love that show. I just re watched ep 213. The mud pit gets me every time.

i guess i forgot to mention it.. :) .. the new folks have infused new energy.. its getting better now

I watch Wizard of Nowhere! It's not super funny but I enjoy it, maybe because I love travel shows. I enjoy the cast too because Kim Su-ro is funny and juxtaposing that to the "not-funny-enough-for-variety" Uhm Ki-joon, it's nice. Very easy watching.

Happy OT!

Wise Prison Life brought me back from drama slump and I'm so glad Mother continued the awesomeness of this time slot.
In between, I finished C drama - Nirvana In Fire 2. Although it was not a masterpiece like the first season, it was a good watch overall. It's such joy when you get good writing, directing, production, music and acting in one show. These dramas especially the former 2(not sure if it's too premature to judge an unfinished drama like 'Mother') have restored my faith that gems although rare are so worth searching for.

Lee Bo Young is good at picking dramas, not so for Go Hyun Jung this time. It's sad that she is out of Return. She was awesome in the trial scene at the end of ep 14. I can't imagine the drama without her. I'd love to have a strong female character like hers to methodically destroy those disgusting men.

And why, Jung Seok Won? *sigh*

NIF 2 in the story development is not as tight NIF 1 but I think they got the feels right,
I feel Tingsheng, Feizhan, Pingzhan, Yuanshi and I understand Pingjing.

I feel like it's a battle about what kind of hero I want PJ to be to make the drama tighter and what kind of PJ as a person. Also, the repercussion for the "bad guy" is not as great as NIF1 treated their villain. They get what they deserve and they are grey because they keep flip flopping but I just wish they can have more repercussion or like knowing that they are wrong and acknowledge it.

On the other hand, it feels like that wish is too ideal than a real world like PJ as a hero in the ideal story and PJ as him in real life.

NIF1's plot was so clever and intricate with very few flaws. NIF2 had too slow a start plus I didn't appreciate the story line of that weird shaman. I only got hooked in the second half.

What I do love about NIF2 is the relationships. Tingsheng is an awesome character and wonderful father. Strangely, my heartstrings were also tugged by Feizhan and his uncle Minister Xun in the latter episodes.

NIF1 was about revenge and isn't it interesting that NIF2 talks about how futile seeking revenge is?

Oh, another thing I love - the window vistas! I want these in my house 😄. The views are so poetic, beautiful and surreal!

But the revenge in NIF1 wasn't just about revenge for its own sake/getting back at people - a huge part of it was about righting what was wrong, which is what Gives it so much gravitas and makes it stand apart from your average revenge

it feels NIF2 is telling people to let go and sometimes you can do everything right ala changlin and still under every wrong thing because people can't let go of their doubt.

I think NIF1 is about fixing the history rather than revenge, it's about telling the truth rather than punishing people, the punishment is a delay consequence and not the direct goal,
that's why revenge in NIF2 is seen as something incomplete because what they better do is revealing the truth rather than seizing and taking everything because they feel that will make it fair and it's not.

Just finished Wise Prison Life (Prison Playbook) on Netflix...ended up practically marathoning it. What an enjoyable drama and happy the episodes were nearly all 1.5+ hours. All the characters were fantastic!

Completng the pending episods of 99.9. Matsumoto Jun looked pretty happy there.
Waikiki is B- Grade content. No story and copied gags though those gags has good laugh value. Radio Romance is soup. Soup usually is below avg. and so is RR.

For long i wanted to say this - The way these korean characters cook rice turn even a passionate eater away. That glue thing. Rice completely meshed up. Like these young characters can't properly chew this thick glue.

Rest for tomorrow thread.

Hi Everyone! I hope you are all doing well today!

Wishing everyone's national teams all the best at the Olympics!

This week:

Radio Romance - It's interesting that I wouldn't be friends with half the people in this show, yet I'm tuning in to see what happens with them. I suppose it's because we know the formula by now and we just want to see the male lead go from jerk to nice guy and the baddies all get their comeuppance.

Black Knight - So far we have a ring, a knife and a coat with "powers" or "energy" of some sort. But do they all have to co-exist together in the same timeline or can they do away with any of the items? ...... I know this show ended already, but I still have the last two episodes to watch.

Money Flower - Up to episode 16. You just don't get tired of watching Jang Hyuk ,dressed in black, make everyone around him run around trying to figure out why things aren't going their way.

Misty - Episodes 1 and 2 were absolutely fantastic!! ..... Kim Nam-joo as cool, professional career woman, with questionable tactics is riveting to watch. What a comeback for her!

Woohoo Waikiki - I don't know. I totally laughed during those scenes with the Park Sung-woong cameo, because let's face it, those scenes were truly hilarious, but that was kind of it. I can see the funny moments that come up with the hapless guys, but I'm not sure I'm in it for the long haul. I think I'll be finding myself occasionally checking in with them, to see what they're up to though. ...... That baby though, cutest thing ever!

Victoria (Season 2) - Slow episode this week. We just got the Irish potato famine, its effects, and the Queen wanting to help out.

That's all for now. ...... Take care everyone and have a great Friday!

Ditto with Radio Romance! It's as if the writer had a list of cliches and they just want to cross all of them off in 16 episodes...but I love it lol! It could be my everlasting love for Doojoon, I know I'm biased heh. Also, I wish I had Jason in my life as a personal mini cheer squad <3

Woohoo Waikiki made me laugh and cringe a lot on episode 1. I watched it because of the Park Sung-woong cameo, which I thought was hilarious, and I was actually gonna watch episode 2 right away, but my internet connection died and I couldn't. The thing is that I didn't watch it the following day...and still haven't watched it yet! It didn't bother me and it made me laugh, but I don't particularly feel compelled to continue watching. I probably will in the future, especially when I feel in need of a laugh, but I think it has maybe like a 'sitcom vibe' that makes it more of a 'backup drama' than one I'd like to follow religiously

LOL on your Jason comment! He is a mini-cheer squad and a bundle of energy!

Happy OT once again!!

so nothing interesting happen this week. typical jobless degree graduate like me, so....heh.

im currently no drama to wait, so i binge watch cmovie and Ten miles of Peach Blossoms. Ye Hua still a badass to me and Mo Yuan is a poor puppy for sleeping too long that he missed the opportunity with Bai Qian. Poor father-zoned Mo Yuan.

i kinda want to ask Beanies who is in medic field. my dad is taking blood thinning med for his multiple heart blockages. he's off aspirin for now but he still need to take Plavix and another med. but the problem is its causing him gastric almost everyday and he cant even fall asleep because it caused him shortness of breath. is there anything we. as family can do help aside from giving him gastric med?

Hi, I'm not a heart doctor (I'm a doctor in a different specialty) but I'm not sure if normally the gastric should be that bad to cause your dad to be breathless. I would suggest bringing him back to the doctor to ensure the breathlessness isn't from something else. Especially if he only gets breathless when lying flat. Or if there is alot of gastric pain as well. Hope this helps and he gets better!!

yeah, his got breathless when he lied down on the bed. he can get some sleep when he sat down on sofa. last wednesday is worst as cant even get a single sleep at all and has to go to clinic at dawn.

the pharmacist at the hospital where got treated also said the same thing. maybe we need to do if last wednesday happen again.

If he has heart problems and he can’t lie flat without being breathless then it could be something serious. (Eg Heart failure, water accumulating in the lungs) Do bring him to see a doctor if he isn’t better. Really hope he gets better soon! Hwaiting!

My mantra to my patients is: If this doesn't make you feel better call me. I'm giving you this to make you better, and if you are worse, there's a problem. It may be with the medication itself, or a separate issue that came to light because the medication is working, unmasking another problem. In any event, talk to the doctor caring for him and follow up sooner rather than later. I also have those patients who wait until follow up and are still miserable, when they could have called much sooner, I could have tweaked their medication, and they would have saved 3-6 months of torture.

I'm waiting and reading all the live news about Pyeongchang Olympics Ceremony. If I never watched The King 2 Heart maybe I wouldn't give any attention to this olympics since 1. I'm living in tropical island with banana and coconut trees on my backyard. What, snow? Never heard of it 2. I hate sports, any kind of sports,...except badminton because of course! Never met any of my countrymen/women who don't like badminton. We even have a popular folk song about badminton.
Back to Pyeongchang Olympics, I don't know why but I was thrilled when I saw SK & NK athletes marched together under unified korean flag. I wish I could see a unify korea in my lifetime. Watching to many kdrama makes me feel like I care (maybe too much) about Korea. I don't know how SK and NK citizens feel about unification though. I hope they have optimistic views about it.

I'm still suffering from JBL withdrawal, it is the worst withdrawal I've ever experienced. But it's getting better for the last few days. I started watching variety, All The Butlers, it's really hilarious! 😂😂
I watched for Lee Seung-gi but ended up really enjoy their venture of learning from their masters. Because of All The Butlers I learned about Jeon Im-kwon and started listening to Deulgeukhwa. Kpop has been really awesome since the 80s.

Show is hilarious but I teared up while watching the last 10 minutes of Master in the House episode 3 when Jeon Im-kwon sang “Please”. Song’s lyrics are just emotional and beautiful.

Good luck with JBL withdrawal. :D

I should check the meaning, I believe he always write meaningful lyrics. I teared up when JIK told them "Just do what you always do. Your time to shine will come".
Yeah, even now I'm still at least spending an hour a day rewatching JBL. The other day my aunt asked me to find her croquette recipe on youtube. When she's done with boiling and smashing the potatoes, I'm still busy watching gangdoo and moonsoo kissing for a million times 😥😥 I totally forgot that I opened youtube to find the recipe 😥😥

I cried too when JIK said to them because it felt like he was speaking to me, said so on dramabeans earlier on(cant't remember where for the life of me)....
All these comments on JBL is really encouraging me to pick it up again. I stopped in episode 4...

I wouldn't have been suffered from the worst withdrawal ever if JBL is not sooo good 😁
GB has explained it very well in post #11.
JBL lovers also camp out in this thread if you want to read more analysis about the drama

In South Korea, those in favor of reunification is about 50%, and among under 40's less than 35%. But I don't see it happening in the next 50 years regardless - when North Korea says they want reunification, they mean that all of Korea should be ruled by Kim Jong Un.

Then I will never see a unified korea since I could only live not more than 40 years based on female life expectancy of my country :'(
But I hope at the very least, in the near future, both Korea citizens can visit each other. NK will soon open its economy so SK can invest there to create more job opportunities both for south and north people.

Happy Friday Beanies!

It's my 12th crossfit training session today! I finally had my first try at weightlifting (just 20 lbs each). I also did a hundred squats and then some and I'm happy to report I didn't take forever to finish all the exercises. We do three sessions a week. While doing the workouts and watching the others do the workouts, I have formed a deeper respect for athletes now.

I'm happy that my body is not aching as much anymore. I also think I'm smiling more these days. Which is a nice balance, because I'm now watching Forest of Secrets (I finished Father is Strange! Love, love, love).

Whoa, awesome! Good job on your training sessions!

Congrats on your training sessions as I want to start one too...
I am happy you enjoyed father is strange...

I'm happy too! Hihihi

Good job @astrojoy and yes FiS is love!

Happy OT and Weekend Everyone!
I've been out the whole day for meeting after meeting and a session with kids in the evening. It's been fun but so much to think about and so much more to do after every meeting. It's great to just relax here for a while.

Show-wise, I want to continue with Hwayugi but I lack the energy and the bandwidth. The little time I've got, after doing other things, I spend on Just Between Lovers or Rain or Shine - re-watching, being inspired, reading reviews and feeling much.

Although there are things that could have been changed a bit to make it an even better drama, JBL was a show that was just perfect in the area of evoking emotions, of sucking us into loving the characters and challenging us to consider several questions:
* Whose responsibility is it to care for those in need and who really steps up to the task.
* Do we compromise, not knowing if many people compromising could lead to disaster (afterall to me it was just a little thing and not likely to have a big effect).
* Does our society expect sufferers of tragedy to just get over it and continue 'normal' life (afterall, they were compensated).

Despite such 'heavy' questions and a melancholy air, this show turned up so full of good feels, unexpectedly funny moments, easy-to-love relatable characters, a romance to die for and lots of hope. It was a surprisingly fantastic watch, while being so underrated. And from comments here and elsewhere, it seems to have garnered addicted viewers and heaps of love. It was beautiful to watch and poignant to listen to. It has ruined me for other shows for a while.

I confess to watching it over and over, and seeing new things at different times, and being re-inspired. The show is rich in messages to impart, so that I feel I may not have plumbed its depths as yet. But the best thing is that it can be enjoyed just as a simple emotive show or as something to be analysed or as a comment on institutions/society. There was no fast paced, grand and twisty plot, but there was interesting evocative camera work, haunting OSTs, coherent writing and amazing, consummate actors who owned every scene and wrung out from us every emotion that was called for.

In the end, Just Between the Show and Us, in Rain or Shine, there is a great space filled with our admiration, appreciation and love for a show well done.

Thank you Beanies for sharing the love on the JBL thread and making this a memorable drama-watching experience. 😄

You're so right on all the things Just Between Lovers did. From the challenging questions it presented to stirring viewers hearts. It's one of those that stays with you for a while. It just hit all the right spots, didn't it?

Glad to know it was loved by so many of our fellow Beanies here! :)

@korfan

Yes indeed! Such an apt way to describe it ... and it's still hitting more of those spots even upon re-watch! ❤ 😁

Anyone seeing many more anonymous and unregistered comments on dramabeans? Some seem kinda troll like to anyone?

I don't think so. Some of them even gave better analysis and insights more than the registered ones that I started thinking they were DB editors in disguise 😁

Some really do and perhaps are just visitors. But there are a few who appear to be repeat posting basically the same comment over and over again. It is okay to have strong opinions etc etc, but the repeated posting seems a bit "trollish" which I doubt our DB editors would do.

That's probably in Hwayugi threads. Please tag me if they're being too much. We try to keep the threads clean but sometimes they get through. They thrive when someone replies to them :(

@mary, I see one on the http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/02/one-true-pairings-one-true-partnership/ thread. Uses another beanie's handle with an NOT in front.

Saw it, thanks!

lol it's a joke I'm trying to cut my dramabeans addiction by not logging in
wait why am I here???

Yey~

LOL!

I’m laughing so hard, I knew it was you immediately because of your writing style lol no one can mimic that

(This is a compliment, you are hilarious)

I'm crying I write the same way as usual and the second I'm unregistered I'm a troll 😂😂 I feel like I should reconsider my life and choices

I laughed so much I just had to log in to upvote! 😂👍

LOL and I was wondering who had the nerve to use your handle!!!

I want to do this... what should I post?

Yeah. Hwayugi. I sent in my usual kinda grumpy comments and they replied...and silly me I replied to them. Then it got a repeat post, then someone else (legitimately) commented on my response and then got the same repeat post etc etc. I noticed this and stopped responding - I enjoy a healthy back and forth but it wasn't going that way.

I apologize. I haven't gone to hwayugi thread since I haven't started the drama. I hope the problem will be resolved quickly by the editors.

I haven't really spent much time reading the comments on Hwayugi, mainly because I'm just lukewarm about the drama as well. I'm non-confrontational in general, so I guess that's a good thing. Now, I'm curious...

Thanks for ignoring their follow-up comments! :')

I think it because if you registered you get a notification?
and some people don't want that,
especially when you just comment once and not actually care but get replied a lot because it strikes wrong to other people, notif will make sure you visit the page,

also, people can easily look at your comment history, people can link your comment from another show to make a point that your argument for the topic is biased, especially when your argument is against the popular consensus like when you criticised a show, being anonymous can prevent that.

Another probable reason is that they use a fake email to post and they can't reclaim any of their comment even if they registered so why bother?

The anonymous user probably doesn't want to tie themselves to the website and only comment on what they like and what they visit at that time only and not always a troll, a lot of unregistered accounts make a valid point.

I am as thick skinned as they come so there is no chance that I'd get offended or anything like that.

Take a look at the thread - @growingbeautifully sent the link. You can see one anon poster literally cutting and pasting the same response on multiple comment threads, not only mine.

Folks are free to express their opinions and others can hate on it or love it. (or even hate me...ha ha) But after (I estimate) more than a half dozen more or less identical comments that contributed nothing new to the actual comment thread, it does appear odd.

Although I am critical, I actually generally enjoy the show (as I actually said) and this responder seems to have a real fixation on how bad the show is. Maybe they're frustrated by the love the show is getting on this site...ha ha!

I am not in hwayugi thread so my comment didn't reflect hwayugi,
I think I never really encounter that big of a problem on this site and when I try to think about it, being anonymous has some reason other than just trolling.

I should add, it wasn't meant to be a general diss at anonymous posters. It was just a particular series of identical "unregistered" postings on that thread.

More comments and critiques always welcome. Makes the site better.

People tend to be more open of their opinion and lose inhibitions when they hide behind anonymity. I don’t really mind the anonymous posts. Others do not want to be held responsible for what they say. I notice most unregistered comments are the most critical with the show, picking on the bad, like antis. There are a few who make really good points too.

Or for entirely different reason. This happens to me: When I close my DB window, my account automatically logs out. I open DB the next day to do my usual scrolling, but forget to log back in. Then I see a comment I want to respond to, I can either log back in or just comment away unregistered/anonymously. If I decide to log in, it would take me away from my spot, forget my thoughts, become lazy, or just decides to ‘let go’. I have not posted anonymously ever since I started reading DB since 2011/2012, only been commenting this year because I like reading other people’s thoughts more than expressing my own opinion especially when there are others who could express my thoughts better, but I think this might be the case for some of the anonymous comments.

The notifs can be ticked off.

Happy Friday Beanies!

Hope everyone is well :)
I watched the Opening Ceremony for the Winter Olympics and was really quite touched when the South and North Korea contingent came out under one common flag. Hope this means hopeful good peace-loving things to come. :)

In other news, I tried to watch Cross and... well..... let's just say I only made it to the first 45 mins. LOL. But I decided to do a medicap of it and explain why the medicine wasn't realistic. Regardless though it is doing well ratings wise, so clearly the Korean public and I have different tastes. XD Anyone enjoying it? I couldn't but help it felt too dramatic and OTT for me.

Medicap here-> https://mydramalesslife.wordpress.com/2018/02/09/cross-episode-1-medicap-thoughts-and-grouses-about-the-first-45-mins/

I did start Just Between Lovers though and I really like it. I'm watching it slowly though but Junho really is hitting it out of the park and I'm totally digging his bad boy with a heart of gold character. ❤️

And of course Hwayugi with Lee Seung Gi! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Have a great weekend everyone!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "Cross." I was waiting for you and Ally for a review.
I might gloss through it for Cho Jae-Hyun and Kim Ji-Han even though I'm not a fan of revenge medical dramas.
I'm glad the ratings is good. Jae-hyun is one of the best veteran actors around.
Kim Ji-han still in supporting roles *sigh*

Kim Ji-han deserves better. I need him to do another good sageuk! Or maybe a good crime thriller. Unfortunately his agency is a small one (same one like Kim So-eun, Jo sang-wook, On Joo-wan etc ) so honestly I don't think they will be able to get good projects for them, mostly will be weekend or daily drama, or if miniseries either second leads or not so interesting project. They really take care of their small family though. Jo Sang-wook fortunately already in leading man territory, so he doesn't have many difficulties to get project.

I love your medicaps, @michykdrama. Actually wished you had watched Black (which had a lot of problems) just for the medicaps. I mean, is it possible to do a heart transplant in a grimy operating room with only one other assistant—without an anesthesiologist?! Ah, K-drama medicine! Happy Friday!

Haha Black slipped under my radar completely. But it sounds like I’d have been rolling my eyeballs to the high heavens. LOL. Thanks for the support and kind words regarding my medicaps 😊

i am curious about House MD.. if you watched it..
how 'correct' was the script there?

I am specially curious about this one episode where this girl feels no pain.. despite her hand almost chopped off.. so they figure its B12 deficiency and give her a pill.. but still she behaves the same way.. jumps off from second floor and feels no pain... then House pulls her into OT.. to pull out an eel or snake from her stomach that had apparently digested the B12 pill that went into her intestine.. (i don't know but from somewhere) :P

err....... LOL. the first bit about the b12 deficiency sounded plausible....

But the rest of it....

Let's just say that from the few episodes I have watched, House usually finds an obscure medical fact and then runs with it... meaning they dramatise it and make it into something so weird and wonderful that it usually doesnt happen like that in real life.
But for accuracy sake I will go and check if there are any case reports of B12 ingesting Eels tho.... 😳😝
I will let you know if I find any. LOL

so you mean B12 deficiency can actually make you feel no pain even in sever situations as bloody hand (let's say if nail pierces through it?) interesting

No I don’t think so. At least, not so severe. But it does cause problems with the nerves and sensation so.... yes... maybe possible but not so dramatic.

I had a think and I think what the girl had was a tapeworm in her intestine not a snake or eel 😂
That is well known to be possible (can be from eating raw fish) and there are reports of Vitamin B12 deficiency from the worm absorbing it instead. 😅 in fact recent there was a spate of tapeworms more than a few meters long being found in people’s intestine (or rather they took medicine, the worm died and then got passed out (or pulled out 😨))

Lesson learnt- be careful about the kind of sashimi you may consume! Haha.

In case you wanted to know more... 😝

(Diphyllobothrium is a fish tape worm.)

“Diphyllobothrium infestations may result in intestinal discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, and weight loss.
The cestode is not invasive, but it does absorb a large amount of vitamin B-12 and interferes with vitamin B-12 absorption from the ileum, producing a megaloblastic anemia that resembles pernicious anemia (clinically and hematologically). The tapeworm must thus be in a proximal portion of the intestine, and probably intrinsic factor secretion is defective in the host (allowing for diminished capacity to absorb vitamin B-12).
Patients may complain of neurologic symptoms resembling pernicious anemia (eg, paresthesias, difficulty with balance, dementia or confusional states).”

And this:

Haha. I apologize if you are put off sashimi for life after this 😝

Good to see you! :)

Ah, medicaps! Fantastic! Much appreciated.

Yay on starting Just Between Lovers! May you enjoy it as much as many of us here did. It is truly a wonderful drama.

Have a great weekend also!

i seriously think.. even the most non sensical script and directing .. will get record breaking/leading ratings ... if they just put white coat on the cast and start calling them doctors.. throwing jargons here and there..

except for dr. strange/frost whatever.. i doubt if any serious medical themed drama lost in ratings

Lol. I really do wonder if the hospitals in South Korea really are that exciting. Because the ones I work in definitely aren’t! Haha

I have to really have a good feeling about a medical drama to watch them because I just can't deal with the incongruousness most of the time. I am looking forward to the one about the ancillary staff You Who Forgot Poetry though! That will likely be my next one. And Hospital Ship was the last one I tried to watch, and couldn't get past the second episode.

I just ready your Medicap and really enjoyed it. I guess it's a definite skip for Cross for me, so thanks for saving my time. The last (and probably only) medical drama that left a strong impression on me was Ahn Pan-seok's The Great White Tower with Kim Myung-min and Lee Seon-kyun. It was quite an old drama and I watched it when I was really young, but I found all the hospital politics really intriguing instead of boring, and enjoyed the veteran actors' performances tremendously. Have you watched this? and if you have, I'm curious how you would rate it in terms of the medicine aspect of it?

Sorry I haven’t watched it. I’m quite new-ish to kdramas compared to many others. 😊

Happy Friday.
I had my first experience as a proud k-pop fan last week, which is weird for me since the k-pop world is only full of immature fans and kids.
BigBang's TaeYang married the pretty and great Min HyoRin, and the wedding was gorgeous and we got to see pictures and videos of it. And the VIP Fandom twitted worldwide #dopeWeddingCongratz for them. I felt so proud of it :)

I have noticed lately that this site is slow and has a lot of problems. A few days ago it did not open during the whole day :(

On other news, I am hitting a drama slump.
Radio Romance is too weak, and neither Kwak Dong Yeon can save it for me.
Return went and became an on-set drama, and there's no way that I'll watch that now.
Hwayugi is just not hitting me yet, despite the fact that I watch the whole first episode without stopping :(

On good news, Woohoo Waikiki is good. It does obviously need a little more tighter script, and makes me wonder if it would suit 14 episodes more, but it's enjoyable for now :)
I've started J-drama The memorandum of Kyoko Okitegami, and it seems very good. So I hope it can drag me from my slump.

Also, I watched Knowing Brothers with Seungri and iKON last week. It was very nice seeing Seungri back on varieties (when will Daesung :( ) . And best news is that viu has gotten the rights of most JTBC shows now, so with a good vpn, I can watch everything for free 2 days later :)

I thought I was the only one experiencing the slowness of the site and other issues so I ended up blaming my network....

At first I thought it was just me as well! I've been having internet connection issues lately, but I noticed that every other website was functioning correctly...so yeah, definitely not your network

It is slow for me too. On top of that, I also get the ‘Congratulations! You’ve won...’ pop-ups especially with fresh recap postings. I cannot even open to just read. Disabled cookies and I have a pop-up blocker. It would usually go away after a day so I would end up reading a day late. LOL. Sometimes it switches to desktop view. I would either squint to read the tiny letters or keep zooming in.

Yo.

Hope you are all well.
I am messing with some mysterious health problems, minor fever, abdominal pain and doctors cant find anything. Been everywhere, ultrasounds, tests etc. Could it be my brain playing tricks? I feel like I am Minkyu in that there is no logical reason but I feel terrible. (do not wish me to get well, wish that I find the cause). I am starting to think it might be depression /burnout syndrom, because I am so stressed with everything.

but drawing and painting helps keep my mind off and then there is less pain... see? I think it is a mental issue. Why do I feel better when I draw pictures? See my Insta for some of the drawings.

no wonder I am stressed, people here cry their eyes out for the forests. Businessmen talk such nonsense, like, the forest will rot if it is not cut down to the very last tree? it is thousands of years old, why would it rot now? and they actually assaulted environmental protectors physically - pushed them out the door on a closed off press conference (with no journalists). I am so upset, respected intellectuals are upset, scientists are mocked and percecuted, I don´t understand what´s happening in this country. just to make toilet paper for China.

Dramas: Return ( good drama imo, had no idea there was a drama behind the scenes as well), Waikiki - every actor is nailing it, especially Go Won Hee. But Taeswon and the baby are also fantastic (when the sis-bro were wailing in self-pity I imagined THEM as babies / toddlers doing the same and driving their parents insane. ) They don´t even need a child version of themselves to be able to picture it in your mind.

QUESTION: any dramas you remember there was NO child version of the main characters? Do sageuks tend to have them more often than contemporary settings? Which child version has been your most favorite?

Definitely hoping that the cause of what is making you feel awful is found quickly! I truly hope you find a solution soon.

Regardless if it's a medical issue or another type of issue, if you can, certainly get some rest and take some time for yourself. I know that in our fast-paced world we often don't do that (or we can't) and we end up paying the price, compromising our health and well-being.

I wish you well @redfox! :)

Wishing you a speedy diagnosis and swift cure.

Seems like the ridiculing and persecution of scientists is epidemic lately. So much emphasis on profit in the short term is leaving a lasting and devastating long term impact. Old growth forest > toilet paper.

@redfox, what country do you live?? Search for john bergmann in youtube, he has thousands of videos and he can be very annoying when criticizing the American health system, but I really like the way he explain the origins of some called "illnesses" or conditions and also his recommendations to help your body to heal by itself in a natural way. Check it up his channel.

Happy Friday everyone!
I spent the last few weeks to catch up on Lee Seung Gi's dramas. Up until "All the Butlers" I didn't pay much attention to him. But boy, did I fall hard for him during the first episode of "All the Butlers"... His smile after Yook Sung Jae put a sticker on his face was just too adorable.
Anyway, in the last weeks I watched "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho","Brilliant Legacy", "The King to Hearts", "Gu Family Book", "Love Forecast" and of course "Hwayugi" and "All the Butlers". And I'm kind of sad that there is only "You're all surrounded" now.
Is anyone else as crazy as I am right now? :D

LOL. My first drama of him was Brilliant Legacy. :)

I've been holding myself back and just rewatch Hwayugi episodes and All the Butlers. The part in the latest episode of AtB where he gets snow down his shirt is gold!

All the Butlers is a gem! On the one hand it is so hilarious, I laugh so much every episode! But on the other hand it is also interesting to see the all-day-life of different people. I'm so glad I started this show :)

I also attempted to watch My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (for the 3rd time) thinking if everyone loves it... but I still found it really stupid, over-acted and at the same time slow. I am not that into Lee Seung Gi - did enjoy King 2 Hearts tho.

OT Week 53! Hi Open Threaders! I woke up today surprised it was already the end of the week. Where does the time go? I feel like my week was productive, and definitely, on a kdrama-watching scale, it was. My husband almost bought me flowers this week, but then saw an lemon plant that he thought deserved more love, so no flowers for me. But next week is Lunar New Year! We have some events scheduled, lots of food to eat, and giving gifts like it is Christmas.

We’ve caught up with Hwayugi . This is such a crazy show, I feel. I don’t know what to make of it yet. I don’t know if I like it or not. One this is certain, Lee Seung Gi is very convincing. It’s a show where there is no loyalty to anyone, or if there is, it’s so veiled that you’re second guessing the motivations of the characters constantly, which makes this a more difficult watch than I think it should be. And is it the lack of chemistry between the two leads? I just don’t believe Sun-Mi’s love for the monkey king. Lee Seung Gi I believe, but not his counterpart. I keep thinking I’ll like her more, but so far I haven’t. She has the “deer in the headlights” look way too much for me. I want to be able to read her face and I can’t and it’s annoying me. Now, Lee Se Young, she’s a revelation in this. I love that she’s possessed right now.

And I finished Imaginary Cat and my daughter was right, the cat dies. I actually had to finish this by myself because she didn’t want to deal with the sobbing aftermath. I did find it a good “jogging” drama for me—perfect length of episodes, and not a lot of dialogue to keep up with at a 5 mph pace. And you can’t cry while running, so that was good. And yes, I started my jogging back up after a 6 month hiatus.

Radio Romance isn’t as syrupy sweet as I thought it would be—which is not a bad thing. However, I’m apprehensive about the writer and the tropiness of the set up just makes me incredibly nervous. I do love Doo-joon in this though. He’s slaying sympathetic-tsundere-with-the-longing-look and making me fall for this character, especially because I know he’ll be even better the more likeable he becomes.
And some drive by shows: Imagine my surprise when the hubby wanted to start Healer ! Um, yes, please. So, this is on the docket now. I don’t know how we’ll have time to see it though. And I started Master of the House , because again, Lee Seung Gi.
So there was this conversation about the first 5 minutes of that:
Daughter: I should exercise more.

Me: Daughter, we just saw this guy who puts on a 22 lbs vest to work out with.

Daughter: Why does he do that?

Hubby: Because he’s too skinny and light to work-out and build any muscle mass otherwise. Now, I have 22 lbs of fat that helps me get more muscular, so I don’t have to wear a vest!

Me: LOLOLOL!

Daughter: That’s just weird.

Moral of the Story: As per a nine-year-old, Lee Seung Gi is weird...

2nd moral: It’s perfectly fine to measure productivity in kdramas watched.

3rd moral: Prepare well for Lunar New Year those that do, and for those that don’t, make an excuse to find a celebration near you!

Wow, your second paragraph re Hwayugi. You said it, sister. And I can't wait for the next two episodes 🤣

I know, me too, we must be insane!

Mother: Best show
Return: RIP
Money Flower : Haven’t watched final
Smart Prison Life: On Ep 13
Hwayugi: I started reading Journey To The West. It’s a fun story.
K movie Midnight Runners: Meh
J Drama Princess Jellfish: Funny

❤️Mother ❤️
No surprise there.
I have high expectation for "Mother" and "Pretty Noona."

I cannot wait for Pretty Noona!

RIP Return. You will be missed *lights candles*

We may be welcoming more Beanies soon! This is the #2 Trending article on the New York Times this morning (up from #12 last night):

"A Starter Guide to Streaming Great South Korean TV Drama" https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/07/watching/k-drama-streaming-guide.html?mwrsm=Email

Ack! At the end they put Gu Family Book in the same list as You From Another Star :(

ACK! INAR! I wonder if YSH and CSB know. NYT is a big deal. So glad it's so loved internationally 💕

This isn't a bad article. They recommended GOBLIN! YAY! I'm here because of Netflix, so you've already been infiltrated! *maniacal laughing*

When I saw Goblin recommended, I thought how glad Ally would be! (I was too.) Some of their selections, though - 😲 More like, how to drive people away from kdrama!
I suppose we should be glad at least they didn't once refer to them as "soap operas".

I finished Nirvana in Fire 2 : The Wind blows in Changlin

It was satisfying but also can be quite underwhelming.
In the sense of living as you want and achieve peace, it was logical and if I were to live my life there, that's what I am gonna do for my life so personally, I like it, the feelings are real and the confrontation at the end is epic [I do hope they build anru's feeling earlier in the drama] but I do see why people didn't think it's enough. Also, 2-3 ep in the middle part and 2-3 ep after ep 40 are draggy.

I feel that people will like it but also have the problem accepting it because this is not a story ala NIF 1 when you are all out for justice and behind the main character's motivation all the time but it's a story about how people choose their life.
It's a show when the protagonist isn't a hero or a typical hero in a story because he actively tries to remove himself and the show also shown us how unfit he is in the story, PJ is more of an audience who at one point will start doing what it needs to help. It's not entertaining as a show if you want the hard-hitting main character to drive the show, character that has background childhood motivation to drove the plot, give speeches about things and wild but I see the logical approach based on how people's lived.
A lot of people like to say that "this is where you belong" and because you come from this background "you have to do this" or because you are good at this "you have to do it" but you probably don't want to do it because the life on constant worry is not a life you want, ofc greatness and glory is great but do you think you have the means to sacrifice other things to achieve it? Sometimes you just don't have the heart to be hurt and it's fine to choose things that will make you happy and content.

What I like the most is that I can see the NIF 1 legacy lived on, how warm the Chanling family, how rightful people will always exist [Cue, gen Yue] and the action is great [except marquis from Donghai and his weird moves].

Overall I am satisfied and I am intrigued by how they molded the main character, I don't see it a lot in any drama as far as I remember, drama usually make the main character form an attachment to the plot all the time or somehow unwillingly involved so they can't back down but in here the main character is not involved and acted at the end as the solution, willingly do it because it's the right things to do.

I catch up to Return ; I like the mystery and Tae Suk - Hak-Beom dynamic but then the story happened about the problem appeared so Idk what they gonna do. It was so good and we just have the trial.

I always sympathize with characters who lived in the palace because beneath all that grandeur was hell. So, I bought NIF2's message readily.

There's actually quite a few meaningful insights in the drama. One of those I like was about whether children inherently followed the paths of their parents. The young emperor was afraid he might take after his mother more than his father. Yuanqi's treachery helped to reinforce this idea. However, Ping jing brought up Pingzhang whose biological father was a traitor and yet PZ turned out to be righteous.

Oh right, the relationship between character is heartwarming,
I was bawling when Dasao and Pingzhang bow to each other, I like yuanshi because even if he is a kid, he wants to be better and he tried.

The main message is also like you said, children don't inherently follow the path of their parents, it's all their choices like Feizhan - Min Xun [he raised him], Tingsheng - Pingzhang, Tingsheng - Pingjing [the responsibiility], Jingyan - [the emperor vs Laiyang Prince], pingzhang again and Lin Xi.

^ - ^

I was not thrilled with the ending of Black Knight. Besides getting grey hair, Neither Sharon nor Hae Ra looked very aged by the end. Though Hae Ra' collegues and a moving helper indicated that Soo Ho looks much younger than Hae Ra, I just could not buy it. By the end of Hae Ra' life, they only showed her grey hair and hid her face( by the very end her life, we could see her full face little bit). Is it done intentionally for what purpose? Any significant meaning by showing only grey hair?
Or do young actresses refused to look really old on screen?

I am not a fan of Shin se Kyun or Oh Yeon Seo from Hwayugi. They look very plastic. Their eyes are big but they cannot express their emotion with their big eyes.

I enjoy Woohoo Waikiki for silliness. I laughed out loud with the hand gesture scene by Park Sung Woong. This kind of drama is needed for me to lighten up my mood.

I like Radio Romance despite of the flaws. The real YDJ is nothing like Su ho. He is known for being funny, polite and generous. I was afraid that he would have a hard time to portray the pompous Suho but I am happy to know that I was wrong.

Finally I had a chance to watch the Japanese film called Love Letter which are often quoted in K dramas. The genre is not my cup of tea but it was good.
Anyway, Nakayama Miho who played the heroin and Kim Jae wook( a villan from Voice and a second lead from Temperature of Love) are main leads of a new film called Butterfly Sleep( which is going to be released in spring this year in Japan and Korea). I cannot wait to watch the film. Kim Jae Wook finally gets a leading man.

So why do you all watch kdramas? I mean, besides the plot and the oppas, what benefits do you recieve or at least hope for?
You might hate me for this, but for me they can be a valuable sleep aid. It seems that no matter when I go to bed, I always wake up too soon because of a noisy neighbor or impatient cat or *something*. So it's mid-day naps or sleep deprivation. And kdrama watching is about the only thing I do that is relaxing enough to fall asleep in the middle of.

i watch because i can relate to the cultural/familial connections in the stories. i enjoy seeing a full cast of characters that look like me and i can relate to how they react in certain situations (especially family obligations), what makes parents yell, how most of the conversations occur over a meal (altho i cannot understand why they get up and walk away without eating any of that delicious looking food)...

i was introduced in the 90s to my first J drama, Long Vacation, by my mother. but i wasn't privy to the exchange of VHS tapes that my mother and her friends had circulating.

i started watching K dramas in 2010, prompted by my daughter (whose friends watch, but she doesn't - she is just totally into Kpop) when i was bed-bound with a flu for a week. Since then, i've become introduced to Kpop, and i am so thrilled to see musical talent in people that look like me... i live in America, you see.

what disheartens me is that young asian talent have to go to Korea to break into the music business, as apparently the American music industry has not considered their talent "marketable". alas, once they become famous in Korea - some are being offered contracts in the US (Jay Park, CL, and Korean actors as well).

finally, K dramas are being licensed by Netflix and Hulu, along with C dramas taking over some streaming sites like Dramafever (owned by TimeWarner?). the USA has determined that they have been missing a huge chunk of marketshare. it is a good thing, i am not complaining - but i had to grow up watching shows/stories about people who did not share the same culture, traditions, food and language...

i think it's great for my daughter to see Asian talent as a totally natural thing and not a novelty (as there are few recognized Asians in the American music, tv and film industry tho we are in the 21st century).

interestingly, i no longer watch american tv shows -- they simply do not interest me anymore, now that i have such a huge selection of korean, japanese, taiwanese and chinese dramas to choose from...

forgot to mention -- my family/neighborhood life was nothing like Father Knows Best, The Donna Reed Show or Leave It to Beaver. nor was it like Reply 1988, though i surely wish it was!

1. To get my emotional highs and lows.
2. To engage in cultural diversity.
3. To interact with a cohort of like-minded individuals.

Same with me. I am an immigrant right now so my best friends and family are far away. Here around me people are so distant, I don't get any laughs or sort of crying, compassion, these kind of feelings from them. Just nothing. It is like there is nothing outside. So what to do?? I come home and watch something good. Only korean, by the way.... once in a while I could watch a Chinese drama, but my tv screentime goes for 95% k-dramas and 5% medical talks. Chinese have been a very rare exception.

Are you in Europe by chance?

Ha ha... yes, and not only Europe, but the coldest of all countries in Europe. I live in Germany. (Not as a refugee and I came perfectly legal in order to study, and I already graduated. Modest conditions in general. No discrimination whatsoever. But cold). Here people are simply indifferent. Nobody sees you nobody cares.

@javinne - it was the same for me in my few months in Germany years ago. My friends were all fellow foreigners - from France, Denmark, and Singapore. I was so grateful when I could spend time with them. Prior to that I had spent a few months in southern Spain and felt so welcomed and happy there.

Nice hey there neighbor I‘m from Austria :D As a fellow 2nd generation immigrant I can relate a lot. People are the same here.
Where are you originally from?

South America: Venezuela, to be precised. Right now it is the country with the highest inflation rate in the world. It is not possible to come back, not even to visit the family. Bad politics. 😖

Hmm, good question. I started watching because I wanted less of the sex and violence that American TV was giving me. I used to be addicted to the Law and Orders (all of them) but at some point that just started messing with my mind so I started watching stuff like Suite Life and other Disney and kid's shows, and then kdramas. I'm not sure why, but I can't watch current American shows anymore, no matter how good they are. Weird.

I still watch Friends, though, to fall asleep to!

Ha ha, I never liked Friends, but I must recognize I laughed a lot when Ross tanned like six times in the front side because he didn't know how to count... (I watched that episode by chance I don't know where).
But speaking of American television- I used to like Ally McBeal, and I used to watch the Nanny as well. Actually, I still like the Nanny, but I don't watch it anymore.
As a child I watched many series, as a teen or young adult,I liked CSI and ER. But I wouldn't watch any of those programs anymore either. In comparison with korean dramas they are pale, at least for me. I must be enchanted.

Ally McBeal was a fav of mine too. I’m naked my dog after her, which is now my alias!

Named, not naked. Ha!

Lol😂😂😂. The first seasons of Ally mc Beal were really good. I remember watching it for its humor, I didn't care about the soup within. But once they took out Robert Doney Jr, they killed it.
And in ER, which I watch because of the medical aspect and the thrill... once they let Lucy die, they killed the show as well. She was the perfect girlfriend for dr. Carter. (Sorry but I got hooked by the soup aspect of thisshow). I was left so traumatized after she died that I didn't watch anymore, lol (sad)...

+10000 about Downey Jr. but I think that was b/c he was having issues at the time. But he was great!

I loved ally mcbeal! I bought the full series and a multiregon DVD player back in the mid2000s because I couldn't find it in the US anywhere. It cost me like 5 or 6 hundred dollars but I did at least one big rewatch of the series (but not THAT last season. So bad) a year so decides it was worth it. I still cry when Billy dies. I loved when they added RDJ. I thought he and ally were perfect together. I was so disappointed when he had to leave the show and felt the show never properly fpund its footing again. It took me YEARS to watch anything with RDJ in it after the end of Ally I was so bitter about him leaving!

I LOVED Ally McBeal, and all the David E. Kelley series, and ER and Chicago Hope and LA Law and all that. Any legal or hospital show. But that's sort of why I can't watch legal or hospital kdramas, because they're so much worse in terms of the writing for court and hospital scenes. I barely suffered through the terrible court scenes in I Hear Your Voice. 😂

Yet, IHYV is worth simply because of LJS's face!!! 😍
I never watched law and order, and from ER and Chicago Hope I must admit that I only remember some handsome faces and very few scenes. What a waste. But by the way, also in that regard I find korean dramas more appealing to me, if it is a show I like, I get to remember a lot of it later on. IHYV is unforgettable for me.

@isa after reading your comment I realised I had just watched few episodes of season one and other few of season two or three, when RDJ was there (long, long ago). Now, I checked the summaries in wikipedia and just for the simple fact that there were so much sexual talks, sexual harassment's issues and immorality and cheating and sex, sex, sex disguised of "love", I don't think I would ever watched Ally mc Beal again in my life. I remember I found its humor hilarious, but I like the humor of Korean dramas better, and in my k-world right now I am spare of all the sex talks and immorality that can be so annoying and unreal.

Initially it was because they fed my inner romance addict (I was all about the rom-coms back in the day). Now I think the stories are well done and they are something different than I see from American TV. Not better, just different. I feel like there are concepts they can explore and I don't have to worry about starting a show and then it get cancelled and I'm stuck with 4 episodes of setup and no conclusion. Also, I like being able to watching a 20-60 episode show in a span of a couple months as opposed to years. I mean it took how many years for Derek and Meredith to get together on Grey's Anatomy (damn you Shonda Rhimes). In K-dramaland I don't have to wait years.

@spazmo My neighborhood life in 1980s was exactly like Reply 1988. I'm around Sunwoo's sister age. When I watched Reply 1988 I was surprised Seoul in 1980s was not different from my my city. The kids were the same, the ahjummas were the same, their activities were also the same. We hosted several sport event in the 1980s and early 1990s though they were not as big as the Olympics. I recall the older kids in my neighborhood who mostly went to the same school were busy with rehearsals for sport events opening ceremonies. Just like Sunwoo's sister I was basically raised by the neighborhood. Both my parents worked, so everyday I was picked up by my neighbor, whom I called grandma, and stayed at her house until my parents picked me up at 2 or 5 PM. School life in the 1980s was not as rigorous as nowadays. We also had 6 days school from Monday to Saturday, but we spend less time only from 7.00 to 13.00. Every parents dream was to have their kids pass the exam to enter State Universities. This exam was taken very seriously by everyone since Private Universities were so expensive. How about potential coupling among the kids? There are many of them who ended up married just like sunwoo-bora, doeksun-taek.

I'm relatively new to kdrama. My first kdrama was actually Full House in 2004, but after that I didn't have access to kdrama for more than 10 years until my phone provider offered me a new package bundled with many interesting free streaming services and one them was VIU. I started watching kdrama out of the blue and ended up enjoying it more than western show.

So, why do I watch kdramas?
Basically because I can relate with them. Western shows don't give me contentment like kdrama, not to mention they are full of sex and violence. I feel more connected with Go Eun-chan, Ha Moon-soo or Sun Bora and I fee like we share the same values. I seriously think that I become a better person to my family thanks to kdrama.

I also agree kdramas can make me a better person, mostly because I was not raised in such environment you described from reply 1988. My upgrowing neighborhoods, for we moved a lot, were not nice or stable. I need more good examples, so that I can forget the bad ones I saw when I was young.

1. mini escape from my reality moments yet I still kinda relate to it.
2. met fascinating people online,whether I share likes/interests or not with them

> what benefits do you recieve or at least hope for?

it's an entertainment, seeing how other people lived their world [fiction world] and sometimes a world I would like to be part of like hmm hmm, the coincidental romance plot? hahaha

I can't fall asleep while watching drama, when they aren't enjoyable, I usually just close them and watch what I like, my sleeping aid is more of listening to song or audiobook or youtube review video so I understand how it possible for you.

I never really thought of the other option because Kdrama is the drama I watched growing up, like anime and Jdrama, it's a drama for me cause I still watch US drama and Chinese drama, it was never a sole Kdrama, they just easily found which makes it feels like I watch too many of them.

I watch them because local shows are too depressing or too cheesy. Comedy has gone to the sink here, all the humor is violent. One thing is common with korean dramas - love for alcohol. but unlike local characters, the korean ones don´t make me want to grab their bottle & smash it on their heads.

1. The short, sweet 16-20 episodes format. Meaning they got endings/closure. I grew up watching American shows, and got burnt oh so many times by shows cancellation without show getting proper closure/ending.
2. I 1st watch kdrama(successful story of a bright girl, dubbed in mandarin tho i wasn't aware of the difference then. lol) when i was 17-18 years old, so naturally the romance aspect draw a teenager me in. Jang Hyuk's handsome face helped as well.
3. Borrowing from @Ally, to get my emotional highs and lows. I'm quite an introverted person, with very minimal social interactions, so I guess I'm sort off living my life thru the variety of characters i watch in kdramas. It helps the fact that I'm Southeast asian, there's some cultural aspects that I can actually relate to, unlike when I'm watching say American shows. Not that American shows are not good, but hey, girl got little time on her hands. Gotta choose wisely. hehe.
4. Why not watch my country's drama then? I got sick of the old fashion theme dramas that are used over and over again in the popular dramas. There are, undeniably good dramas here, but hard to come by, at least 1 that suits my taste. The mainstream or popular drama often made me feel like the director or drama makers are insulting me as a viewer.
5. The variety of genres I get from kdramas, especially this couple of years. As I grow older, I got more jaded, and just watching full romance drama just don't cut it anymore. And kdramas offers more than romance now, like Signal, Forest of Secrets, and the like, so, yay!
6. Choices! There's many drama to choose from, with cables offering good kdramas now. It's not like kdramaland doesn't produce crappy dramas too, but with so many to choose from, I can just not watch or drop the ones not to up to my taste. And ones to up to my taste/dropped are plenty.

Such a great week!!! This week I stepped out of my comfort zone in so many different ways. First, I went out of my way to speak to more people in my classes. And now I'm on the road to gaining new friends.

Secondly, I created a Tic Tac Toe game from scratch using Python. Even though I'm a computer science major, I've never felt confident in my skills. But through this project I learned that #IGotThis and I should be more confident in my abilities. *fingers crossed that I get the internships I'm applying for*

Here's a link to the game:

*putting lots of positivity into the air*
💫🌸✨💕💫🌷✨💓💫

If you are watching Hwayugi and get curious about the book that inspired it, the original Journey to the West is available as a free PDF from gutenberg dot org.
They have both English and Chinese versions, just google something like "gutenberg ebook journey to the west"

It's over 1,000 pages, so you'll want a PDF reader than can remember your place. ("Know your place", as the kdramas say). My browser's built-in reader can't do that, but Sumatra PDF seems to do it ok.

thanks! I often read stuff on Gutenberg, was going to look for it soon anyway

Does anyone know where we can see pictures from the 10-year party last year? I foolishly didn't take many, and then foolishly didn't download the ones that were up on Photobucket, and now I can't find them.
BTW, if any of you have them, I'm the white guy with gray beard.

HAPPY FRIDAY! So happy it's Friday! YAYAYA!

Just Between Lovers I'm only on episode 2 of this drama but I am already in love. Such a beautifully done drama and so poignant. The acting is excellent, the music, cinematography and the writing. I am eager to hurry and get off work and watch more of this beautiful drama.

I'm Not A Robot This is a cute drama I'm enjoying. I love both the actors and even though the drama has some unbelievable things in it I ignore it for the cute romance. I'm both dreading and eagerly awaiting when Min-Kyu finds out his precious robot is not actually a robot. I don't want my adorable romance to be ruined!

I'm watching the j-drama Kiss that kills and it's pretty weird but fun like japanese dramas can be. I like the casting :)

I have been busy for many many days and had visit from the family, so.... no much time for dramas. Today was like coming back to normal and after work, at home, I watched Mother, episode 5.
I wish I could have words to express how much it moved me. How much I cried and how much I want to keep on crying. Sorry it doesn't sound happy, there is a bright side, I promise.

I just want to share how incredibly beautiful, well acted, amazing and wonderful this drama is, but I won't lie to you: it is sad.
I wish I could protect these people. I thought Soo jin mother would be awful (didn't she play Go Jun pyo's mother in BOF?), but she is amazing here and she made me cry today for the first time. Her character is so strong, so complex, so interesting! Somehow you can feel she loves her children (I am guessing they are all adopted, by the way, and not only Soo jin)... but that doesn't matter. Wonderful actress, wonderful lines, very subtle. I wished she were not sick (this is not a spoiler, she started the drama being sick), I am fearing she will really die soon, and I will cry for her as well 😖
So many feelings!!
Here is the bright side: I feel happy that I can cry with this drama..Sounds crazy? It is just that sometimes you feel you need to cry, maybe in order to clean up your eyes. I feel happy I am crying for such a sensitive topic. Makes me remember some things and makes me remember I am a human being who feels compassion.

I think watching the Japanese drama first kind of spoiled the K-version for me a little bit but I still love it.

Kim Young-jae (Soo-jin's mother) is one of my favorite in the show. I couldn't wait to get to this part of the story because she's rocking it and she reminds me so much of Atsuko Takahata in the original.
(Btw Soo-jin is the adopted daughter and the oldest. I haven't seen eps 5 yet so I hope I'm not spoiling it).

I'm so happy that the ratings almost doubled on Thursday.
I hope that more viewers in Korea would tune in and support the message(s) that the show is trying to convey.

Although I initially decided not to continue after premiere, I have picked it up and watched until latest episode 6. I am drained emotionally. Bye. Show also brought out the worst on me, wanting to slay the abusive boyfie-mother duo and feast on their flesh. Had to eat lots of chocolates for endorphins and serotonin. LOL.

I agree. It's overall a well act drama. And it's rare you are bless with interesting female character as much as this one.

I'm on a mission to watch all or most of Yuji Sakamoto's dramas <3. What an amazing writer!
A male writer who seems to understand women more than female writers. He's like Jung Ha-yeon to me.
Done with "Mother" (2010) and love it to pieces.
Next is "Woman: My Life for My Children (2013)"

Is that a Japanese one? I don't think I have watched a Japanese drama before. I will watch the Japanese version of Mother once I finish the korean one (if I survive).
Can you roughly tell me what are the main differences between Jdramas and Kdramas???
I really have no idea.

i would say j dramas are mostly slice-of-life stories? some can be construed as "preachy", for loss of a better word...

the humor is more quirky/kooky or dry. they don't seem to have the candy/chaebol formulaic structures that prevail in k dramas, i think.

and i'd say they tend to have more sad (realistic?) endings, rather than changing existing storylines (as in remakes) to end happily (as they do in Hollywood). oh, and i don't believe they ever respond to netizens' reactions/demands that affect ratings, i believe the dramas are always preproduced?

Very interesting. Thank you for the answer. I like preproduced dramas. Or at least the idea. Makes me believe I am watching the story how the author imagined first. But on the other hand, if the rating and demand can affect an airing drama, something like two more episode of cuteness can happen, like in the case of IHYV😍. It is always a risk with extensions, I know. But sometimes they go right.

@javinne
Yes it is the original in which the K-version is based off.

I'm actually a new convert so thank you @spazmo for answering javinne's question :).
I love this kind of intense and realistic story even though it's based on a novel.
It reminds me of "Eyes of Dawn." It's hard to watch because it's so human and real and feeling is sincere. I actually do care about things like this in real life.

He's indeed a real great writer, a master for me when it comes to females characters. I totally agree that he understands woman like no other man and convey/translate his knowledge on screen in a unique way, that even female writers fail to reach/imitate.

You can add to your list the recent Quartet, which was one of the best drama of 2017. Females character stole the show in this one and you will recognize some familiar faces from his previous works.

Thank you so much! "Quartet" after "Woman." Yay!

Thanks for your review. I will eventually want watch of his work too. But is Yuji as talent as Jung Ha Yeon? Well that's a big compelement to Yuji.

Make sure to watch Soredemo Ikite Yuku as it is is Sakamoto's magnum opus.

Thank you!!!!

I think I'm one of the rare species here... I just don't get it..why people like JBL. It's so boring n slow. I fell asleep almost on every epi. Couldn't careless to what happened to the male lead ( I cant even remember his character name.. you know..Junho). But I still managed to finish it up. I rolled my eyes when the girl decided to leave the male lead (epi 14-15), her reason doesnt make any sense to me. And add to the rolling eyes moment when the writer decided to give the male lead a liver failure and a donor at the last min. Probably I'm just not a fan of healing drama or not a sensitive person... dunno. I like slice of life drama better. I love Prison Playbook (wise prison life), now that is an awesome one.