1,216

Open Thread #544

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

1,216

OT week 59. How was everyone’s week? Mine started with dinner with my Korean friend and she cooked! We had bibimbap, seasoned pork lettuce wraps (which my husband made), kimchi (also made by my husband), seaweed soup (was it someone's birthday?) and pajeon. We ended up making some kimchi too and brought a bottle home to ferment. Our conversation meandered between our kids and husbands and Korea. They were planning a trip this year, but had to postpone it. I’ve taken the liberty to invite myself when they do end up going though. She wanted to know what I desired in my heart-of-hearts to do there. I just said “EVERYTHING!” (because “Meet Gong Yoo!” is probably out of the question). Her husband in Hispanic-American and they have the sweetest love story; he was teaching English in Korea and met her—her English is impeccable by the way, so much so that I thought she was Korean-American, born and raised here, when we first met. She was only 18, he was 28 when they first met. With blessings from her single mother and little brother they were married and had their first 2 children in Korea. She’s a young mom. Her son is a teenager and she’s barely into her 30’s. (She’s the one who was a Miss Korea contestant so she’s gorgeous on top of it all! AND she was valedictorian of her university graduating class here in the US, is musical, teaches college classes. So unfair.) Her two sons have Korean citizenship and we’ve discussed how she needs to do something so they don’t end up serving in the Korean military!

Anyway, we also talked about her brother who is still in Korea and their very melodramatic childhood—seriously, everything you see on kdramas about childhood trauma is freaking true-to-life, and reality is certainly more tragic than fiction in her case. Also, how her brother works constantly, in his early 30’s as well, cuter than a button, not married, no prospects, which is how young adults in Korea are nowadays. This reminded me of a discussion I read on the Radio Romance episode 15 recap about low birthrates in Korea. You can’t find a mate, have children and raise them when you are away from your house from 6 am to 11 pm every day, in the frantic race that is the Korean workforce, competing with everyone and their dog to be the best. It happens from blue collar, to white collar, to idols, actors, and writers, to production assistants, and sqweebs on production crews. And the thing is they don’t know any better. It’s how their culture has engrained work and success into them from childhood. My friend loves Korea, and her husband probably loves it even more. He misses Korea intensely and is distraught they are not going to be able to go this year. However, she has told me on several occasions how she would never move back. Even in her modest two story row home, it’s larger than anything they could buy in Korea, and even in her modest job, she works just 8 hours a day, sometimes at night, but never on the weekends, they...

have a very relaxed and content life. She says she’d never have that in Korea. She’d be working at least 12-16 hours a day there. And it was a sobering moment for me. I think I watch these kdramas many times not understanding the millions of man-hours it takes to put them on my screen. So I should be less critical of writers, directors, etc., especially when another one of them dies from being overworked (i.e. Hwayugi). And it’s not just the entertainment industry, it’s all industries.

So, because I don’t work 16-20 hours a day, I did watch several dramas this week (all a little tainted by my conversation with my friend), including the first episode of LIVE last night. It looks really good. I hope someone does a wee-cap of this-(did I mention I think it’s going to be really good?). Truthfully, I’m only tuning in for Shin Dong Wook, because I fell for his sexy priestly character in LOOKOUT. Well, he hasn’t shown up yet, but I was very surprised to see another LOOKOUT alum, Kim Tae Hoon, and did a literal double take when he was on my screen. Everyone in the first episode is overworked, including his character working 20 hours a day as a pharmaceutical rep, breaking up with his girlfriend in the process and then relocating to Australia—which means I won’t probably be seeing him in this anymore, unfortunately. The dialogue is great in this and the side characters are all compelling right now. That first episode echoed exactly what my friend and I were talking about—it was heartbreaking to see the main characters working to death, barely getting paid and then being defrauded of all their families’ and friends’ savings. Same writer as DEAR MY FRIENDS, so it should be full of poignant moments and great characterizations.

I glanced at TWO LIGHTS: RELUMINO, a PPL video for a Samsung product, and it was a perfect snack, only 30 minutes and really sweet. Park Hyung Sik and Han Ji Min are so believable as people with vision impairment and so adorable together in this piece that I was utterly charmed. One thing I found funny, but then not so funny was Park Hyung Sik’s character, who is going blind due to retinopathy pigmentosa, keeps being told that he’s handsome and good looking, which would get old really fast if you were vision impaired.

Finished RADIO ROMANCE and after a couple days, I think I was too hard on the writer here. She gave us a really sweet love story at the center of a universe of poorly developed characters, but hopefully, she’ll learn from this and get better. I think we forgive actors who are new much more readily than writers or directors who are new. The OTP was sweet and endearing, and may crack my top ten. I even liked the second lead couple too, when they finally got together. A parallel love story would have done them much more justice.

And I am finally to the 7th episode of PRISON PLAYBOOK. So was the military Captain framed and does our baseball player really still want to play baseball? He...

He really convinced me that he didn’t in prior episodes. There’s not a lot of action for being set in prison, though, and I don’t know what I expected, but it seems that the adversity of prison life has been replaced by something akin to a slice-of-life drama, which I wasn’t expecting.

HEALER is on the back-burner, stuck perpetually between episode 5 and 6. Hubby is on a business trip, so it will have to wait.

But PRETTY NOONA is next week! PLEASE BE GOOD!

I must have felt verbose today, but here’s a short conversation:

Me: Remember my neighbor *my k-affinity son* you met at my house who went to Korea? He listens to K-pop too.

K-Friend: Oh, yes. Really?

Me: Just girl groups. So I introduced him to Highlight/Beast and Doo-joon.

K-Friend: Of the "Let's Eat" series?

Me: Yes!!!

K-Friend: I didn't even know he sang.

Me: Well, he's the lead of the group. It was initially 6 guys, then they changed their name, broke from their original label and formed their own. Oh, and now there's 5 of them.

*rolling my eyes, embarrassed* I really don't why I know all of this.

K-Friend: *laughing hysterically* And I'm totally clueless.

Moral of the story: Useless information and I now know more about K-entertainment than the girl that introduced me to it.

2nd Moral: The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. (Actually, I forgot to mention that my daughter won a creative writing piece in a contest she entered. She was 1st in the state out of 1000 entries!)

3rd Moral: What a long entry! Congrats to you all that actually read all of it! LOL.

Thank you, Ally. I love your OT posts! This sounds like a rewarding week...
You started off with a shared meal of homemade Korean goodies with friends, and even made your own kimchi!
Congratulations to your daughter, I think she must take after you, as you have a gift in writing as well.
Funny about knowing more than your fiend who first introduced you to K-pop... I definitely relate!!

My daughter loves to write. She and her friend recently had a "playdate" at the library where they are writing a fantasy book together. They had to do "research" and everything! It's for fun, not an assignment or anything. My son writes well too, but just for himself. He would be the last person to enter a contest with his writing--I think it's too personal for him to share. He's actually a much better writer with a much larger vocabulary. They do get that from me. I enjoy the process of writing, but I'm certainly not that good at it--I read things in books, other blogs and here that I'm just awestruck over. When I retire from my first job, I hope it's going to be part of my second career. Probably too much information, right?

Ally, its okay...don't feel silly about your Highlight love...I've followed them for 6+ years and its still going strong...even though my Korean born fiancé still shakes his head at my love. Its just their charisma we can't stay away from haha.

I love all music, all forms, all genres, all instruments, just all of it. Highlight/Beast is interesting and I have no other Korean groups to compare them with, but much more syncopation in their songs than I'm used to hearing in just plain pop music. You could take out the percussion/drums on a lot of them, and not miss it because the way they sing is very percussive. Even the ballads, they hit those words like you would a snare drum or hi-hat (listening to "It's Still Beautiful" which is a good example), but they like their fast lyrics that fly by too. Their voices are all so good, and actually Doo-joon probably has the weakest voice, I think, but it's still really good--I like kind of raspy voices in general, which his has a bit of, and it's addictive. I analyze what I hear probably a little more than the average listener. And they're great dancers on top of it all. Yep. I don't think I'll tire of listening to them and hope they continue writing songs and singing for a long time to come.

Omg I'm so excited for Pretty Noona too! Can't wait~

If they actually were able to implement it!

He didnt do it!!! Of course he didn't. He is such a beautiful person, and you will like his arc. In general, I really enjoyed this drama. I couldn't stop watching, whenever I started to watch one episode (maybe 2) because they were long. And I loved it! Laughed a lot, cried as well. I would watch it over again very easily. I only need the time.

I found myself glazing over when I started episode 7 though. I might not be in a place to really appreciate it right now. But what you've told me now really makes me want to get into his story arc! There's so much talking. I need a little more to keep me engaged.

I didn't really like this drama as much as I wanted, although I usually like the Reply team's style. I only liked the wardens' characters and arcs, the military captain and Min-chul.

I don't want to go into much detail as it is very much loved on this site. I guess I will be just content that I liked some of it and leave it at that.

@midnight, I think I know what you mean. I'm watching it on Netflix, slowly, because it's SOOOOO long. I only get to see 15-20 minutes at a time usually, so I think the pacing is lost on me.

Surely because we moved on two years in Live, so it's time for Kim Tae Hoon to come back from Australia? Apart from the fact that he's also in another drama at the same time. Hm... Maybe he's not going to come back.

I've only seen the first episode but I felt so bad for all of them. I think it's going to be great - such a fascinating cast of characters

INR!!! I hate that his character just abandoned them like that. But then I could totally see the burnout written all over his face. Hopefully, Australia is less hectic and he's well rested if he ever comes back!

But hadn't his brother just lost him all his money? It felt as it all just got too much. He'll come back from Oz after having retrained as a doctor, so he can play the same part in both dramas. That will be fine.

Oddly enough I was once in the main guy's situation, where I'd just started at a company and they put real pressure on everybody to buy stock when it IPOed. Luckily in my case it wasn't a scam and it worked out well, but I could totally understand what he was going through

@ally-le

Rest assured: Shin Dong-wook shows up in episode 2 of LIVE. ;-)

Yes, I think I knew that from seeing some spoilers on the Beanie wall and he's gorgeous.

What? Damn, now I really need to check this show out.

Yes, you do! Then come to my wall were I'll be fawning all over him.

@ally-le His turn as the priest In Lookout was quite memorable, and I wanted more of him.

Ahoy, all LIVE fans!

Thanks to @azzo, @ally-le, and @hades, discussion has now commenced at:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/11/noh-hee-kyungs-live-recruits-shin-dong-wook-as-loyal-policeman/ .

Please join us, and bring your friends. The more, the merrier. ;-)

Hi, Ally.... i love your anecdotes. It tells so much about your world, knowing interesting people like these couple, the ex miss korea, and how they relate life is in korea. Really, I know they work hard, and some dramas portray how this is true, or how there is so much corruption, poverty and injustice in korea. This class division (I don't know how to call it), and how birth rates are low. They are low here in Germany too, although I have the impression here people are not obliged to work until 12 or 16 hours a day, but some do, because they want to earn more.

It's unimaginable for me. Well, what I don't see depicted in shows anyway. I'm Vietnamese and when I've been back there, people still take the afternoons to rest, come home at 6 pm at the latest, and still have a lot of family time. I feel like I work a lot in the US, but it's nothing compared to the Korean workday.

Well, the most I have worked here in Germany are 14 hours in two different jobs for a day, but it was my decision.
Full time is here 35 to 39 hours per week. In my homeland (I come from Venezuela), I have worked around 9 hours per day, 5 days a week, ona schedule. That was supposed to be of 40 hours per week.
And right now I have a part time (24 hours per week).
I feel, here in Germany, if you have a nice college degree or even if you earn minimum wage, legally you cannot be exploited and obliged to work more than this 40 hours per week, and maximal 10 hours per day. It is written in the law that if you work more than 6 hours you have the right to take a break of at least 30 minutes, and if you work up to 8 hours or more, than your break will be 45 minutes or one hour.
Even temps are scolded if they voluntarily work more than 10 hours in a day!!
of course, there is also injustice and problems and poor people. But in general, I feel here in Germany the law is very much respected, and it wouldn't happen the same than in korea.
Only, by the way, even though people here have then, in comparison, more free time, that doesn't mean they are very familiar oriented, nice, funny or friendly like many Koreans seem to be. 😂🙄😀😂

I think a lot of European countries are more reserved when it comes to being open and friendly. I live in the Midwest US and everyone says "hi" or "good morning" to you on the street, even if you don't know them. There have been sociological studies on the effect of smiling in different cultures and countries and how that relates to trust and crime rates and a whole host of other end-points. It's really fascinating. Just smiling in public makes people more open and friendly. People in Germany (from what I've seen when I've been there) hardly smile in public.

You are from the Midwest? (I mean, you live there!!) 😀😀😀😀 So cool. Maybe we metc one day! LOL or at least, we breathed the same air in 2009 and 2011... I lived in Wisconsin for 6 months in 2011. I also know Minnesota and little of Iowa. Have been in Chicago, although I wouldn't say Chicago is Midwest, but anyway, you are totally right. I loved the midwest culture. Compared to what I have known from new york, which I have also visited, Midwest is a paradise. People are nice and they smile even in the winter time. Minus 40 degrees Celsius in Wisconsin are no way colder than -5°C here in Germany. And that is because of people and their attitude.
I want to go and visit again, I need my girls that I left there!!! 😊
And yes, you are right. People here in Germany never smile in public. And they only smile in privat to their friends or in very specific situations. I have no hope with German people. What I could enjoy here once in a while are foreigners, the immigrant community as well.

Waving from the Midwest. Even though people in the Midwest may smile and say hi (I'm looking at my peoples in Minnesota here) that doesn't necessarily equate to true friendliness which moves beyond acquaintance. It can be a surface only friendliness covering an icy reserve. I am certainly guilty of this myself and admittedly don't work nearly hard enough to make newcomers to the area feel truly welcome by inviting them into my life and not just passing by with a wave and a smile.

Yo! I’m from the Midwest, too! I was born in the far Chicago suburbs (someone once told me it doesn’t even count as a suburb but it totally does) but currently go to school in Chicago.

I’d say as far out as my hometown is definitely the Midwest. Of course Chicago’s different because it’s such a large city, but I think people here are friendlier than in, say, New York. You won’t usually get people saying hello to you on the street (again, it’s a big city after all) but Chicago is a city of neighborhoods, and depending on the neighborhood I think people can be very friendly. I’ve struck up conversations with strangers on the beach and on the L. The “Midwestern hospitality” seeps into the city more than you might think. I’ve had visitors tell me that Chicagoans are pretty friendly compared to other cities this size, anyway.

I’d say I’m as friendly as I think it is safe for a young woman living in the city to be. Which inevitably sometimes means not friendly at all. In my hometown it’s totally different. I’ll smile or say hi to practically everyone there.

Concerning Europe, it depends on where, I think. I studied in Madrid and most people there are almost too friendly for me. That’s Spain for you. I think they think Americans are the unfriendly/cold ones, haha. Or maybe that we’re just prudes. It shocked me and made me laugh when I saw people making out in the metro stations sometimes. It was a lot of fun talking to Spanish students in my classes about how they perceived Americans and vice-versa.

Hi there, a little late to this conversation but as someone who lived in Minneapolis St Paul for almost 25 years I can certainly attest to the friendliness of people from the Midwest - to a point.
People are warm and friendly to strangers, but they don't invite you into their lives. When I lived there my closest friends and "intentional" family members were all imports like myself.
It is a great place to grow up because you will always have roots there. But it is an even better place to be 'from'. Believe you me, I lived in that -60 below temps and +100 degree and 70% humidity for long enough. I paid my dues!
Still, I love to visit the midwest then return to the Pacific Northwest (or as we call it - God's country) hah!!!

Love to read that Beanies are all over the world!

@stpauligurl But if we didn't have extreme weather we wouldn't have anything to talk about. 😉

@egads - yes there was always the weather to talk about in the midwest. Even when I talk to friends who live there now we always talk about the weather.
I live in Oregon and there is a saying that it rains two times a year here. The first time for 6 months and the second time for 6 months.
However, we have tulips beginning to bloom when the East coast is getting clobbered the 4th snowstorm in a month.
So I'm totally NOT complaining at all!

Funny how everybody thinks of the place/region they come from. They judge it differently than us, visitors; but it is a normal thing to do.
I wish I could live some years here, some years there without having to stay longer, unless I really find what I am looking for, the sensation of having found a home. I wish I could simply be there long enough to keep the good things and be able to go when I feel no longer at peace, or interested or comfortable.
But it's all dreaming.
@stpauligurl, thank you for your insights from so many years of experience.
Humans tend to compare, and since I migrated to Germany, and here is colder, naturally I remember the Midwest friendliness as something I wish it would happen here. But there are for sure do many good things here I don't know yet they are "apparently" better than in the Midwest!! (For instance, maybe the weather😂)!!!
Actually it is unfair to compare, because everything, every place, everybody is simply different, and there is advantages and disadvantages.
Enjoy Oregon.

offtopic but.. someone has written a book..and asking me to review it.. problem is i can't say no because superior of someone in family.. and i ain't a reviewer or even much of a reader.. How do you review books? :O

Worse.. its supposed to be some college romance in a medical college/school... god save me!..

HELP!!!!

So, if you don't read much, why did they ask you? Are you supposed to read it for content, accuracy, grammar? I guess it depends why they want you to read it, and if you're uncomfortable, I'd just say no.

It depends. What is the review for? By that I mean are you reviewing it as a reader before publication, looking for errors in grammar, content, or continuity? Or is this a critical review to inform other possible readers?

@egads critical review for other readers

And its a romance .. which I don't have an appetite for.. although its a short book .. some 100 odd pages..

@ally-le what do i cover in a review (for benefit of the readers)? The plot itself is uninteresting.. we have way too many books on these so called college romances (I can't recall the name of the book, but I expect this one to be on similar lines. The book I am trying to recall is a love story / student life set in Stanford's management college or Wharton's, written by an alumnus)

I don't want you to think I'm an editor, reviewer, writer, or expert in any of this. I AM NOT. There are other Beanies that are and could help you more. But if it were me as a reader, I'd just want to know if this book is worth my time and money. If it has a loose, undeveloped plot, poorly written characters, and if it's not medically accurate, I'm out. You might be able to see that on your own read of it. But if there is a good story, easily relatable, but also tension-filled at the right spots, characters that you end up caring about, then I'd want to know about that. Do you have medical training that they want your take on the story? I don't even know if what I just said is helpful! Again, not an expert!

You may want to let them know that your review won't be particularly favorable, which is what I'm gleening from your post here. But if you do review it, first give a summary (spoiler free) and then evaluate it. What did you like, what didn't work for you? That sort of thing. When I read reviews, I want to have an idea what the book is about, and whether or not it is worth my time. Also, I second what Ally says instead of repeating it.

For me, to review a book is similar to what we do with our dramas. We watch it, analyse what we liked, what we didn't. Cinematography, music, acting, direction... these technical stuffs as well. Characterization..message... the feelings we got from it, and we making it all into a critic. With a book is the same. It is work, for you have to read it, of course. And it means to use a little bit of a meta language, in order to distinguish our "review" from a simple comment or an easy opinion based on what my heart tells me 😂😂😂
Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your conversation with your Korean friend. I've read elsewhere how hellish real life can be for Koreans. I knew I was watching fantasies when I watched dramas but watching a Korean character leave the office while still daylight is the almost science-fiction!

Which is probably why they all have perfect porcelain skin! No sun=no sun damage!

Hi Ally, I am glad I read your entry this week. First, congrats to your daughter. I'm always in awe of people who can write.

I don't envy the lifestyle in Korea. Recently, I watched YT video clip of students on an immersion program to Korea. It's shocking how much time the typical student spend on schoolwork. It goes beyond the official school hours, continues to cram school then more studying and studying. All in hope of getting into a prestigious university. After which they hope to work for some industry brand names. I have simplified it and it doesn't sound too different from many other countries but I'm sure the pressure, energy and number of hours devoted are far from the average.

It's a grueling pace. I have no idea how they do it.

Unfathomable. 67% of workers have asked to be exempt from it! Who are these people?

Yeesh! South Korean public servants work 1000 more hours a year than other developed countries?! I recently finished a monthlong stint of 60-hour weeks and it just about did me in. We have waves of that at my job but intermittent—no more than three times a year. Living like that every week would kill me.

Two thoughts: (1) Korea's drama/idol factories are looking more and more like the Coliseum of the Roman Empire. (2) If drivers are as overworked as everyone else, it's a wonder the Truck of Doom doesn't appear in every episode of every show.

@tsutsuloo I'm reading a fascinating book at the moment called Why We Sleep and it talks about countries were the amount of time that people sleep has dropped severely over the last century (mentions South Korea amongst others) and the impact that lack of sleep has on both mental health and traffic accidents.

Apparently drowsiness causes more lethal accidents than driving under the influence

@tsutsuloo, I actually had the same thought about the TOD. But also overworked/exhausted people with poor frontal lobe function and reaction times who “forget” to look both ways crossing the street too! It’s a “two-way street” there (pun definitely intended).

Thanks for the info. Always interesting to hear about what we see in the dramas and know how much is actual reality. The issue of the work/life balance in that there isn't any was a huge theme in My Golden Life where one of the couples didn't want to get married because why bother and then, if they did, don't have kids because they cost too much and there's no hope. It was a pretty grim scenario. The writer was definitely pushing a narrative in multiple ways through multiple characters in that drama as she does sometimes. We see issues addressed about high schoolers in dramas re: bully and test pressure so it was interesting to see the issues with young adults portrayed this time.

There is a blogger couple who lived in Korea and the guy actually worked on a drama as crew. He basically gives a run down of why dramas turn to crap, especially post episode 4. I knew it was bad but that's when I figured out how grim it is not only for the actors - whose reputations and careers are on the line - but for the crew who have an even more brutal schedule.

I have found that this information allows me to be forgiving of a lot of the issues in the dramas. I'll still get them for messing up the ending of Black or even the last few episodes of This Is My First Life. At a certain point ; however, I realize that if a drama obviously doesn't have a high budget we're not always going to have high production value and it's just about enjoying the story if one can.

I enjoyed Radio Romance quite a bit. It was just such an easy watch for me.

I really enjoyed Radio Romance too. I'm really the most upset about Jason's character. He should have been a more positive influence in Su-ho's life, and could have been written so much better. I would have stripped him of his license, or at least put him in front of a review board for what he did. Unfortunately, no one asked me! ;P

I would put $ down that the ratings during the Jason part of the story weren't high enough and his story got sidelined. It looked to me like that they had some high drama planned, but the ratings worked better with the romance and radio aspect. I think it would have been better never to have written the character since they ended up not doing anything with him.

It's interesting about that blogger-crew-guy. That would be a fascinating read. Do you have a link?

It's been a while but it actually is a You Tube vlog that I'm sure some beanies are familiar with called Eat Your Kimchi, I'm sure it will get you where you need to go if you put that in with "drama". I think they did write about it as well but don't know if I ever checked that out. This has been a while ago that I checked it out, and I know they eventually moved to Japan.

Sorry I just saw this comment, excuse my other one. I remember watching their video when they first moved to Japan and they talked about how much they were over Korea and liked Japan so much better. Reading your comment, I recall them mentioning the awful work conditions they witnessed on the drama set in the video. It's really sad.

Thanks!

Here is the link to the blog’s archive.

That was an eye-opening read.

Can you please link this blog you mentioned?

Happy Friday~! I always love when it's payday on top of being a Friday. XD

I have been way too busy to watch any Korean dramas unfortunately. I tried to watch episode 3 of That Man Oh Soo but I just couldn't find it interesting enough to stay focused. I also need to check out Great Seducer, Waikiki, Radio Romance, and the other dramas people have recommended to me.

I did see that BoA will be on the newest episodes for Master in the House so I'll definitely take time to watch that this weekend.

Overall, not a bad week just busy and dealing with snow. I hope to report back next week with more drama watching updates. Although I may not have a chance since Anime Boston is also next weekend.

You all have gotten an avalanche of snow up there! I have a friend in Maine and he's had over 100 inches this year! Stay safe and have fun at Anime Boston!

Thank you! Yes we have had quite a bit but a lot of it has melted. I just want warmer weather and spring to arrive, lol.

happy friday Beanies.

im not really happy with my local tv station right now! im dissapointed that they alter a wonderful story about a women who has schizophrenia after loosing her husband to a women has been exorcise by demons. what is the point for the novelist create that plot complete with showing how the female lead getting proper psychology treatment with 100% family support to this ....cliche? this is the perfect opportunity to educate our country on mental disorder! dont be so outdated about this matter.

🎵Coz in a world where everybody hates a happy ending story, it's a wonder love can make the workd go round. 🎵

If i ever become writer and come across annoying main characters, I will go ahead with full throttle making them cry tears of blood and by the time show is air 3/4 i'll be getting stern rebuke from production house.

The point is to create a new bottom every episode that audience start to ask for mercy and then deliver them nectar of life that they will never forget the show/its characters and more importantly the writer-director.
Risk is higher than the reward and that reward is also pretty unsettling future one.

#CRICKET2019 boycott. Depressing week. 6 good teams thrown into Hunger games battle to qualify for World Cup 2019. This is unfair. 3 days and 3 heartbreaks. I wanna punch those ICC bastards.

That Man Oh-Soo is Trash. Waiting for Children's translations.

KAKEGURUI - Has completely aired. It should have atleast 15 episodes.
@sancheezy @alua

Someone was suicidal and commented in 2017's open thread. Who knows where he/she now is. I'm curious now.

Rich Man, Poor Woman is average content so kdrama would be below average. not interested.

Meet me at 1006 is quite good.

I can binge it now ^ ^

I bought buying Gekkan Shojo Nozaki Kun vol 9 this week on a whim, didn't regret it, I was looking on the shelf but couldn't find it then it was in a middle of the store, don't know why, can't wait for oregairu,

Rich Man Poor Woman fits Kdrama style so I think they can do it.

Hahaha, I was watching that man oh soo while cleaning my bedroom and it was fun that way, there's a lot of filler, nothing I can remember as the main plot but they look happy in the screen,

I think I like it because I don't have to think or immersed myself in the story, they'll be together and here's their interaction.

Nozaki Kun is licensed by Yen Press or someone else?
There is no plot in Oh-Soo. hero-heroine bump into each other all the time and do some random stuff. OCN and romance is the worst combination.

Any good manga recommendation?

right, Yen Press,
oh soo was random therefore the cleaning is done with more intensity, hahaha

Like Shojou manga?
I am reading wotaku ni koi wa muzukashii because there will be an anime adaptation out of this but I don't know if I like it,

I'd like to recommend Nozaki and Kingdom [the Warring States period, Chinese history], bakuman, barakamon and hikaru no no also good choice.

Wotaku is from Pixiv artist. I kept on asking for its translations and then thankfully a group picked up its volume. Rest are well-known titles. I am looking for something under-rated.

@Catocat Drama Kum

I've heard good things about Koi Dano Ai Dano [ Like and Love and], my brother told me about it, not sure about popularity, it finished though so you can know the ending.

Hi beanies,

I'd be in Seoul for the third time next next week but I don't have an itinerary yet. It's my first trip alone. Can you suggest me a good place to go? Not specifically in Seoul but not too far from Seoul.

The first time I was there was for my university's field trip. We just had a one day free time and I used it for going to MLFTS exhibition and visiting Bukchon at night.

The second was... I became an exchange student in Gyeonsangbukdo and during our school's foundation week, my friends and I went to Seoul and visit a lot of Kdrama sites (MBC Historical Dramas Shooting Sites, Han River, Ilsan Park, BCJ Garden, Coex Mall, Universities, some coffee shops and even the Baeksang Red Carpet)

I love water and being near it for relaxation, so I recommend Han river @ Yeouido Park or Banpo Hangang Park.

There's also the Bamdokkaebi night market there during the weekends.

, http://www.bamdokkaebi.org/?_l=en

I need to watch the last ep of Radio Romance and watch the first ep of My Mister.

I have a few first eps lined up to try this weekend leading into Spring break.
First eps:

Full House
Suspicious Partner
Old Boy
Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms
Answer me 1997
Moonlight Drawn by Clouds

Or maybe finally watch Between Lovers.

Still watching Evergreen and Tempted. Completely different from each other but both have been nice to unwind with after work.

Also have come across some Korean skincare. It has been fun and a stress reliever.
I have to say I miss the vlogs. I'd sometimes have time to watch with coffee before work.

Between Lovers is worth watching!

I've just finished watching the first episode of Live and I don't think I've ever wanted 2 people to get/keep a job so much before. Well, maybe not since Misaeng. Jung Yu-Mi and Lee Kwang-Soo are just brilliant.

I was a bit hesitant to start it, as I thought it was going to be just another police procedural, but what they're doing here - beginning before they become police officers and then showing them having to do their training - is so much more interesting.

I was thinking about watching My Ajusshi but now that I'm watching Live, I think I'm all set for my dose of realistic slice-of-life drama.

Oh and did I mention that nobody is a geeenius?

hahaha, no geeenius indeed! And yeah, I'm definitely cheering for them to get their jobs, since I'm in the same boat as well. Just saw the subs are up for ep 3 -4

*runs to watch them rn*

Oh yes 3 & 4 are here. Well, that's my weekend sorted.

Yippee!! Thanks for the heads-up on the subtitles, @xhuizini! I've been waiting with bated breath. ;-)

Binging 2-4 tonight. I tried to watch ep 2 lastnight, but I couldn't concentrate enough to keep up with the subtitles. I REALLY want them to succeed too, especially because the show tore them down to their bones that first episode--so painful to watch.

Shin Dong-wook shows up in episode 2. Methinks he's the precinct's straight arrow. I'll have a better idea after I watch the subtitles for eps. 3-4.

Are you sure you're going to be able to manage that? You're a badass if you can/do! As much as Iove this drama, it's too heavy for me to finish one episode without stopping, let alone 3. That's why I have to keep up with this drama or else I'm screwed!

Maybe that’s why I couldn’t watch more than one before. I thought it was because I was just tired. If I don’t watch them, I’ll not be able to keep up either with Pretty Noona on my plate next week!

We both know that no matter how good any of these currently airing dramas may be, nothing gets between us and a good noona romance--especially when the male lead is gorgeous/cute.

I’m 1/2 way through Ep. 1 of Live. Like it so far.

I've seen the first 4 episodes of LIVE, and will watch the subtitles for 3-4 now.

I like a lot of the background music -- which might actually be OSTs with English lyrics.

What's the main song--played at the end of ep. 1 and again at the beginning of ep.2? I recognize it, but don't know where. It's like from my childhood or something.

I posted four tracks on my fan wall, starting with Jon Allen's "In Your Light"

Here's the entry you want, which is the next one:

LIVE 라이브 (LAIBEU) OST, Ep. 2 / GIRLS, season 4 finale
Family Of The Year: "Carry Me".

I went bonkers for
Max Meser's “Weak For Love.” Many thanks to plappi @Soompi for IDing this track! Here's the live version:

I'm in trouble because I love both My Ajusshi and Live. I would say though that Live is still different enough from My Ajusshi genre wise to not make me feel like I'm watching similar things. By presentation alone, they're quite different. Because of the style of police procedural that it is, Live could certainly fall into the slice-of-life bracket. We basically seeing them training for and doing their jobs with other plot points surrounding that. However, I think while it's more realistic and down to earth than most, My Ajusshi's plot makes it less slice-of-life and more dramatic if that makes any sense. Basically, my point is, give My Ajusshi a try and see if you can make room for it at this time.

where are you watching Live?

I'm watching it on Netflix but it depends on what part of the world you're in

noooooooooo ::cries buckets of tears::

It's on myasiantv, I think it's only on Netflix for a few countries cause I couldn't find it on mine.

Why do I see the great seducer in the "currently recapping" section ??
Are they recapping it or not?
I really appreciate the hard work from DB staff but aren't we even getting a discussion post for the show like Misty and mother? It's the only show I'm watching now and I wanted to see how other beanies are feeling about it !
And again we really appreciate your hard work!

I think there is recaplenty on misty and Mother..

It's only a mini recap though, which is substantially shorter than a regular recap. And Mother's recap, I think, only covers the first two episode and the finale.

I am also curious of where this site is going. Lately, only LollyPip is posting recaps, a dramatic reduction from last year's. I also don't see the usual recappers here as often as I had in 2017. I noticed the dramabeans shop has a lot of promos, so maybe their focusing on the shop currently?

Most likely, and it implies also lots of work. Truth is, money is needed, also to maintain the site.
Still, it is good for us to have a place where we can share our love for k pop culture and kdramas together. So even a mini recap is ok, as long as we can share the rest together. 😊

I noticed and was wondering about the same thing...

Hi beanies, is it only me but these days, I feel the weessay are running out faster....I am not even sure if that is a good thing or not????😑

weessay?

Sorry....autocorrect!!!!!! I meant weeks.....

Hahahahaa! ^^ Happens, happens.

And yes - time seems to be speeding up. I came across this somewhere: when you are two years old, that year is litterally one-third of your life, so it feels really long. But when you are say, 36, that year is 1/37th of your life, so it feels much shorter. ^^

Wow....cool...never heard of it....I took note, thanks for sharing....

Happy Friday Beanies!

I've had a pretty terrible week at work, but I handled it - with the help of a kind, more experienced colleague - well in the Courtroom today. So yay! Greenfields is not going to let you walk all over her. Haha. Not Today, at least. Wish me luck next week.

I also had a minor surgery. Gyah I should have taken some time off, but it turns out I'm a bit of a workaholic? Not really, but I did have too much pressure this week. I should take tomorrow, Saturday off.

And BECAUSE of all this pressure, I watched a lot of dramas and vareity by my standards. Radio Romance, That Man Oh Soo, The Great Seducer, My Ahjusshi, Running Man, Weekly Idol and Bangtan Run. :/ I mean, I barely watch one drama a week when I'm free, but have all the time in the world to watch a large number of shows when I'm pressured and stressed? Go figure.

I am happy you handled it well in court...I am so sorry about your surgery. Hope you feeling better now???

Thanks! :) Yes, I am better and better with each day. It really was a very minor thing. ^^

Hope you are recovering well.

I do share the same experience sometimes. I watch more dramas when I am stressed. Dramas are also both stress relievers and creator of stress(you know the type where you want to throw something at the screen).

that's why I tend to be a bit picky with what I watch. Like looking at a drama and thinking 'nope, not adding more stress to my life, tyvm'

I am not good at predicting on the onset which drama would make me tear my hair out unless it's very obvious(like ultra makjang) or one which has been completed and I get to read the reviews.

I can only avoid actors who I do not like.

Tbh, same. THo I give a chance at looking at dramas I'm interested only to dropped it when I find another one that is worth my time more. I'm easily influenced by comments on a video site tho so I trty to avoid that.

Thanks! ^^ I am indeed recovering.

LOL they also create stress by eating into your sleep time (or in my sleep time)? We need more sleep/rest when we're stressed, but we turn to dramas instead. Stress amplified by dramas that make you want to throw something at the screen (preferably the source of your stress - like your boss?).

I need sleep--I can make it to 12-1 am for a good drama, but if I'm struggling at 11 pm to finish an episode, it's for the best that I turn it off. I'm much more picky about what dramas I am sleep-deprived on now than when I first started watching kdramas!

Haha - that's exactly how it should be! Plus, you have a partner to watch with ^^

Increased drama load when stressed, I can relate. Decreased drama load when free, I can relate. Why is that?

I really need to keep track of my fellow beanies professions. I'm sorry if you told me before and I forgot, but I take it you're a lawyer? There was another lawyer that I met on here. Can't remember who that was though. 😳

How are you liking My Ajusshi btw?

Are you a computer IT person?

Nope, although my company seems to think that I am far too often. 🙃 I'm more of a middle manager but that's soon to change as the company will be downsizing a lot in very soon. Yay me!

So you won’t be anything very soon? Is that what I’m reading into?

We don't how the restructure will go yet. If I stay with the company, I should be in line for a promotion. If I'm axed, well...I'll be looking for a new job. DB recapper maybe? 🙃

Eeks sorry to hear about this. But from what I've seen/heard - people tend to start leaving on their own if they hear anything about downsizing. Since you are still there, it means you have good reason to believe you'll not be axed? I hope I'm right. If not, well, changing jobs is tough but its not the end of the world.

Good luck! I'll be cheering for you in this!

@greenfields Thx! I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Hehehe yes, I'm a lawyer.

I love My Ahjusshi! The absence of a soundtrack throughout large parts of the episodes really adds to the feeling of realism. While Ji An's life is ridiculously difficult - so much so that I can't relate, Dong Hoon's life represents my biggest fear as I grow older - that I'll be stuck in a mediocre job, that I won't be happy with my partner (if any at all), that my world will be filled with a daily routine of mediocrity. I'm both fascinated and appalled by him, and at this moment, Lee Seon Kyun is my very favorite actor. :) What do you think of it?

I'm loving it as well. You know, I didn't notice that there's not much of an OST here thus far.

I think I can relate to Dong-hoon and his family. I can see how Dong-hoon's life represents some of your biggest fears getting older. For me I don't think it's the mediocrity that's scary though, but the way your relationship can hobble you through little to no fault of your own.

The mediocrity in Dong Hoon's life is something specific to him - I know so many people (obviously) who work in similar positions, but I wouldn't say their lives are mediocre. Instead, they live in rich worlds with family, friends and colours. Dong Hoon is the same but it's just the way the show put it - bleak colours, the rare smiles, someone describing him as having a 'pitiful air' - stuff like that. On the other hand, there are also people in my real life that remind me of Dong Hoon.

"...but the way your relationship can hobble you through little to no fault of your own." This, I didn't think of. Very apt point.

Also, his unsettled family situation. Wife, brothers. All of it comes together to form what I mean by 'mediocre'. It's bad circumstance, and one being trapped within it.

Happy Friday Beanies🧡
I kinda lift up from my drama slump over the year and starting watching :
Hwarang, Mad Dog

Is Mad Dog good?
I finished Hwarang, I dont need to start the equivalent level of this since I read all the recap & comments here haha, but it does make me miss a grand saeguk like SFD :(

And my rant now is : I miss those grandeur drama that shakes our lives, whether is romcom, or fantasy mix whtv!
I miss those moment of Goblin, You From Another Star, BOF, DOTS where is our universal drama ?? The one that makes us all lala crazy, make super hallyu impact. It doesnt need to be perfect drama but that holds star power. ( I tot Hwayugi could happened, but it is not)

I know some underated/(not) dramas like BTMFL & GBC, is very good gem, but u know what im talking about. I know to meet “once in a lifetime star dramas” like Dots goblin YMAS is not happening every month/ year.
I just think dramaland is kinda in coma now. Moreelse with kbiz many deaths (still cant move from shinee) & Mee Too news..

Anyone feels me??

I know that feeling....that wonderful gem of a drama that will shake up your whole world......I thought I had it with black knight....you know the first 2 episodes were good....until the writer decided to u know how it went....anytime I listen to its ost (which was cool) I always say I can't forgive the writer for making what would have become a great drama to sth that went down the drain.....sorry for my rant but I just can't understand the writer no matter how I try....

Yeyy high five @feenah9895 !

I havent touch Black Knight, but is the heroine played by SSK??
If it is, I think I know whyy I dont dare to touch it. No problem with her, it just I always has nightmare with her project (saeguk exceptional) I couldnt finish 1ep of Bride Water & when the man loves.

But i think she is quite badass in Fashion King in early eps.

Yea the lead actress is SSk. ....I didn't finish BOTWG either but for black knight the writer was the main issue..

Black Knights a drama I started to re-write in my head at a certain point. I absolutely loved the music however.

I know a drama is not worth my time when I start rewriting entire scenes. I did this with Hwayugi around episode 6. I think I even put it on the recap. -__-

LOLS....yea the ost was good....

Personally... those big, blockbuster “Hallyu” dramas are usually not my favorites and I don’t exactly miss them. I did like You From Another Star but I would not consider it a favorite of mine and it doesn’t really hold a special place in my heart. The only reason I might miss those types of shows is because I’m sure they strengthen the K-drama business overall in terms of money.

My drama-watching experience lately has been better than ever. I think it all started for me when Age of Youth 2 aired. Then after that, Because This Life is Our First absolutely revitalized my drama-watching experience and since then I’ve been so lucky to have many shows I love, such as Just Between Lovers and Mother. I think the K-drama industry is offering much more variety than ever before (in part due to increase in sheer production volume), and there have been an increase in shows about women and led by women. I will never complain about either of those things. There are also many upcoming shows I’m looking forward to.

I’m happy as a clam at the moment. 😉 Again, I suppose the only thing I would personally be worried about is if the lack of the types of hits you describe means less money is going into the industry overall.

Hi @mindy !

So happy for your success revitalization. I know that feeling, we feel so content & blissful bcs we’ve found what we’re looking for ( this sounds so ridiculous) .
I did had this moment too.. with City Hunter, Fight My Way, Weightlifting Fairy, You From Another Star, Gaksital and the sacred 5eps of Yong Pal😂

Personally, those shaking the world hallyu type of dramas are usually quite sucks in terms of writting etc. I also dont really like DOTS Goblin BOF Heirs😩 in terms of writting. only YFAS is exception for me. That Cheong Song Yi is queen.

I guess I miss living in that moment itself? U know when everybody u know who never touch kdrama suddenly go crazy, flooding ur insta with it, all kvariety talk abt it, when the drama becomes the IT talks in town, the cosmetic/dress/places sold out everywhere, have special Line sticker, haha..

It pumped up our pride as long time kdrama camper, when one drama can has the world revolved ard it.

I can totally see that. I have to really like a drama in the first place to get caught up in the fervor, so I haven’t really experienced that shared worldwide fever about a drama. I thought it would happen with me and Goblin because I LOVED the first week or so of that show, but I quicky realized it was not headed in the direction I thought/hoped it would and I didn’t end up finishing it.

The Dramabeans fever is enough for me. When a show takes the site by storm. Healer is unparalleled and it was my first proper DB live-watch experience, and it was a crazy one. Totally bonkers. I loved it. But even the popularity of both BTLIOF and JBL on here made me feel so good. BTLIOF especially made me so incredibly happy while it was airing, it was almost a danger to my health. I got so excited on Mondays and Tuesdays that I swear my heart would start racing every time I remembered that I could watch the show when I got home. This is cheesy but the recaps felt like home to me and the fanwall frenzy after an episode was just amazing. I found myself smiling while walking down the street because of that show. If that’s what other people experience with the worldwide blockbusters, I definitely understand missing that feeling!

@mindy—aigoo! BTIOFL ... mr. tsutsuloo would worriedly look at me when I'd lament every Sunday, "When will this weekend be over! Why isn't it Monday already!"

@mindy
the paralel def the same!

Btw, is JBL is good? I read multiple times in here, but scared it will be dark comedy/leave me with Misaeng kind of feeling afterbite. Empty bcs its too closed to reality. Gutter :(

Ive watched BTIOFL, I know its good but maybe I didnt watched in fully mind..

I'm totally feeling you! I haven't found anything that grips my imagination as much as Goblin did. Nothing EPIC has been introduced since then, not even close. I was hoping Hwayugi would be, but nope, it wasn't. I think it will be rare for me to find dramas where the actors, story, music, production values, and pacing will be just right. It's lightning in a bottle.

YES ally yesss !

I forgot the word, is EPIC. Haha.
Don’t we just feel so alivee when a drama can hold such a success, whether in terms of writting & directing / the impact to viewers.

I knowww, I really thought Hwayugi could be the next, actually it does from ep 1 to 8th ??
I thought it will be blockbuster of demon’s war everywhr with Samjang wiped their ass off, show diff demons lifestyle between human, & the dynamic between sixdraple of Samjang, WuGong, Mawang, Ma Bi Su( secretary), PK, Buja & Chairman. But is not. It turns quite weird for my taste with the love become so central & samjang as story driven totem for another villain to get introduced .. No epic bromance, no epic demon, no grandeur fantasy, they only give a tiny iceberg, but even that...is melted as well.

The "lightning in a bottle" epic story recently was Mother. Epic in a different way, but still epic.

Haven't gotten quite in the right psychological state to start this one yet. I can't have drama affecting me so much when I have so much to concentrate on in real life. Shows like Seven-Day Queen, Mother, Just Between Lovers, I can only watch in the winter, when I can wallow in depression and constant crying and not have to face anyone the next day.

I agree, Goblin was perfect. I found myself revisiting a couple moments this week- especially when Goblin and Reaper confront God......gahh!

@chanelboy,

Yes, MAD DOG is good! I didn't expect corporate insurance fraud investigation to be this compelling. There are some great performances in this show. ;-)

Hello, everyone!

My preliminary exams just finished and I have the whole Easter break to relax. Unfortunately, there isn't any Korean drama that caught my attention. The only shows I'm watching right now are:
1. Idol Producer - I don't even care if it is a copycat version of Broduce. This show is much more genuine and heartwarming than P101S2. I seriously love everyone, so even if my favorites will be eliminated, I would still be happy for the top 9.
2. Ryuusei no Kizuna - The premise was screaming "revenge" but the drama was... funny and light...ish?
3. 99.9: Keiji Senmon Bengoshi SII - I'm loving this more than the previous season. Matsujun's Miyama is pretty two-dimensional so I'm finding the rest of the criminal defense team much more intriguing, especially Ozaki (Kimura Fumino). She has the most character development from everyone.
4. BG~Personal Bodyguard - This is such a quality drama. From the acting (Kimutaku!!!) to the music, it's just beautiful.

I'm also so excited for the Japanese remake of Signal! The original still remains to be my favorite Korean drama of all time, so I'm curious with how Japan is going to make it as their own. Not to mention, I have a really soft spot for Sakaguchi Kentaro, who is playing Lee Jehoon's Park Haeyoung.

Have a great weekend, beanies! ♡

A J version of Signal ? I’ll watch that.

ikr! there are very few kdramas that i feel like i def have to watch.. nothing caught my eyes except laughter in waikiki. but waiting every week for new eps is such a torture. and i just finished binge watching cross yesterday. so i feel like watching jdrama.. the last jdrama i watch is we married as job. have u watch dr stork? what do u think? i heard that the drama is good. so i feel like checking it out..

hi~ unfortunately, i haven't watched Dr. Storks, but i've read some reviews and it is actually one of the higher rated medical j-dramas in mydramalist.

you should def check it out if it really interests you!

Not watching too much, Misty & My Ajusshi, Yoo-na’s Street (rewatch)
I did watch a C/K movie, Sweet Sixteen, with Joo Won. Meh.
My wife is watching a bunch of stuff, Evergreen, Old Boy C drama, Flames Daughter, some other C drama, so I see this stuff as background noise.

I did try Ep 1of Children of A Lesser God. Waiting for subs. So so.