Open Thread #545

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

I'm currently watching My Ahjussi and Great Seducer and I'm loving both.

My Ahjussi has this mysterious and gritty element to it that makes me continue watching it. Mostly, I credit the love I have for the drama to Lee Sun-kyun. He's just...ugh...he's really something else. <3

Great Seducer just got so much better now that we got a reset to the story. Shihyun is not the Great Seducer; Taehee is; and I love that. I wish he suffers more this time around to make their reunion even sweeter

I forgot to add this part to my comment.

I don't know if it's just me but I feel like there's still some hint of sexual tension.... between Donghoon and Ji-an. I mostly can feel it come from Donghoon.

I thought they removed the romantic relationship from the character chart before. I don't mind it actually, but now I'm kinda confused and curious at the same time if it won't develop or if it will in the future.

About the tension coming from Dong Hoon, maybe it's the LSK factor. He is just so charged with charisma. If you haven't visited the recap page, you should head over to the episode 3 recap stat. You're definitely not the only one feeling the sexual tension.

I watching same dramas, and I'm loving them too.

Tae Hee surprised a lot in last chapter, she turns the game to her favor witout noticing. Shi Hyun, for other hand, will regret letting her enter his heart. I'm more curious about Soo Ji's reaction, since she is beginning to break down.

About sexual tension between Dong Hoon and Ji An, I fall for them everytime they see each other. But I really think that they will not become in a sweet couple (I want to be wrong). To me, they attract each other because they are very similar; so, it's a special chemistry that make us being tense all time. This drama is breaking my nerves.

Same with you on Lee Sun Kyun. His drama gets better and better and I fall in love all over again with each drama. I just don't know where one would go next after working with this PD.

@camillecee okay wow. So I'm not watching Great Seducer but now that you mention this flip I'm really intrigued. They almost NEVER cast the female as the seducer before. I'm so curious now!

Dramagods, are you punishing me for not making sacrifices this lent season? Why can't I find a legit site that will stream Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food?

For those who will be able to watch it weekly, enjoy all the sweet treats they will conjure up.

For others, happy hunting.

have you try searching under new title? "Something in the Rain" ?

From what I’ve heard and read, I think Netflix scooped this one up.

Noooo 😭😭 I was hoping dramafever would take it. I hate waiting an extra week for it

I was able to add it to my watchlist on Dramafever so I'm still holding out hope they get it!

I heard that as well but it's not on Netflix anywhere as far as I can tell. It looks like it's going to be on Viki, but since I can only get Viki to load 50% of the time I can't check this morning.

I think it would be helpful for someone to help figure out how to watch this legally-- like I have Netflix in the US, and can't watch this live due to their way of putting all the episodes out at once at the end of the run-- but might be able go through a VPN and watch it like I'm in Europe and get shows more timely. I don't know how to do this though, so will be streaming it through other means.

For alternative VPNs, I’ve used Tunnel Bear. It allowed me to watch the London Olympics live and circumvent the idiocy that is NBC.

I used Tunnel Bear to watch US Netflix while in Spain. Then when Man to Man started, I stopped using it because Spain Netflix actually got it every week. Although I didn’t finish that drama anyway.

I still think it is incredibly dumb that US Netflix does not release kdramas until the end of their run. They’re just losing viewers.

@tsutsuloo omg i wish we connected during the olympics. i was SO frustrated with what NBC was doing. I felt like I needed to be online, have two of their channels open and download the app all just to watch what I wanted to watch.

lol..i watched it live .. but got bored with no subs so switched to heart signal

and realized.. pettiness is easier to understand without subs

I hope it get license on Viki as they sub the songs. DramaFever does not sub the songs of their dramas. I got Netflix but not sure do they sub the songs of kdrama.

If you have dramafever, it seems that's the link: https://www.dramafever.com/drama/5173/Something_in_the_Rain/ but very hard to find for some reason.

LOL at this thread. So, no one really knows who is getting Pretty Noona. It's a closely guarded trade secret, apparently.

It's Age of Youth 2 all over again.

And Buamdong Revenge Social Club

@Ally Yea--there are national secrets less guarded than which website has the rights to this drama lol

Does anyone know if Dramabeans will be doing recaps of Pretty Noona? I love reading the recaps while I wait to watch the show.

Probably not, since very few can watch it. There was a video blog about it.

On Demand Korea picked it up so maybe they will!

From the Department of Repetitious Casting Department:
Mystery Queen 2: the lab guy with footprint fetish is played by the same guy who played lab guy / serial killer in Tunnel. This time he is really annoying. Can we maybe solve his murder next?

My Mister: the guy whose wife is having an affair is the same actor as the guy whose wife was having an affair in This Week My Wife Is.... you know.

I enjoy lab guy with footprint fetish about 60% of the time but the other 40% I want another character to stab him so badly that I forget about the 60%.

Sounds like two severe cases of Terminal Typecasting. Quick! Dispatch the Truck of Doom.

the guy in My mister.. is paying for the sins for even thinking of cheating on his girlfriend and cousin with cousin's girlfriend..
#CoffeePrince

Repetitious casting lol

Cricket this year is all about anger. Sand Paper Gate aka Ball Tempering got too big for anyone's comfort. Lead to SNS bullying of a well-known person and when the person was done for, they moved to their new target.
Someone's tears is what make these cyber bullies thrive. Modern Day media is one of the biggest bullies of all.

How many of you follow cricket here?

Old Boy Chinese drama is good.

Test Cricket is best cricket. Ipl is for indian market. Ball-tempering is pretty common in one way or other. I was surprised to see this getting attention from news media where cricket has no presence at all. I hope everything is done and dusted now.

Ball tempering via mint or sugar is pretty common and many players have been penalised for it. Domestic cricket is rife with ball-tempering and chucking.

One of the reason it became so big was Australian cricket itself. You just have to YT search and you will find atleast 2 dozen videos of aus-cheating. Animosity towards Australian cricket was hidden and waiting for a lashout and this one provided that opportunity.

from what I heard, all 3 of them are banned from IPL...
social media blew it up too much.

Not a cricket follower but in a country where its the most hyped sport, its unavoidable...

SNS is cancer and already proved manipulation machine. I've read several articles about how cricket is ingrained in the culture of Australia and how it is such a significant part of their identity. The image aus-cricketers created over years also played big part in it.

SNS truly is terrible, its like a platform for all the negative feelings to accumulate & targeted at one person at a time.

Yeah the article I read about them said how in Australia, cricket is so important that "the team captain is considered the most important person after the prime minister of the country"....literal lines from that article.
Don't know till what degree this is true as I've lost touch with cricket for a long time now.
Used to watch it as kid during the eras of Ricky ponting & Brett lee.

Kind of understand the significance of cricket in their country though, the players I saw back in those days were legendary & put on impressive performance, they were always in top form.

which famous personality got bullied? :) and who is the new target?

Conversation above has the answer.

For everyone - try BBC's HeartofKorea. Worth watch.

not seeing it..
its generic discussion with no names.. who is the celebrity?

Steve Smith and David Warner

There's this weird outdated impression that cricket is a 'gentleman's' sport and therefore cheating is even harder condemned than in any other sport.

This is a big sport with big money at stake these days. Everybody said how terrible it was when the Ozzie cricketer stood there lying to the referee - but then football players are lying to referees week in week out, (I didn't touch him, Ref!) and nobody bats an eyelid.

That's the image Cricket has. An outrageous behaviour or aggression is not only criticized but also penalised. There isn't much possibility of cheating in cricket. its either small or Big like Match/spot fixing.

Ask anyone who played in domestic cricket - Ball Tempering is routine. Its acceptable cheating.

Not only media made it big - It was an eyewash moment for Australian people and media who always played significant part in mental disintegration of opposition. This time the just couldn't ignore the blatant truth and it did hit them hard.

I can't give an adequate description of the sound and fury here. It's ridiculous. Everyone is OUTRAGED that we would cheat at CRICKET, which presupposes we haven't been for years.

Quite a few people (including myself) are upset that Australians only get upset about something like cricket rather than our appalling refugee policy that has innocent people in ongoing offshore detention. The human rights abuses are disgusting but what gets people upset is cricket cheating?

I was amused though that a local bookstore put Steve Smith's autobiography in the True Crime section...

It’s been awful and dispiriting to watch the way the cricket story has consumed the National media, while the human rights of refugees get little coverage. I draw a lot hope from Isabelle Carmody’s “I’m watching” campaign.

Twitter helps. It reminds me that other people are as upset about this as I am. This awful story about the suicidal 10yr old is just tragic.

OT Week 60! Hello Everyone! Finally a day of sunshine after a week of rain here! And my hubby is back home! Yay! Good things about him being gone—more time to watch kdrama premiers! Bad things--almost everything else! My parents are still here too, so it’s a full house today. And so happy to wake up with @javinne telling me that our “Best Friends” piece was published! It’s shaping up to be a good day!

Both premiers I watched were strong, but SWITCH was so fun and entertaining, that I made my husband watch that one again last night when he got back from California. And, we may be watching two live dramas together (because nothing can get between me and Pretty Noona, not even jail)! We haven’t done that since Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim and Goblin were on concurrently. I’m always surprised how good JGS is, like really good. He’s not oppa material for me because he reminds me too much of a distant cousin I grew up with in terms of his personality and how he looks—like this story is about dopplegangers, and that cousin is a definite doppleganger of JGS, especially when he grins from ear to ear and his eyes get all squinty—it’s crazy uncanny! Anyway, the twists and turns in this, the plan, then the way the plan actually plays out, and then the behind-the-scenes, is so cleverly done. I’m thoroughly entertained.

A Poem a Day is a mixed bag after the first two episodes. I really like the poems and the soft, romantic cinematography matches the tone of the poems well too. However, some of the characters are rubbing me the wrong way and I’m not sure their purpose, and if a character doesn’t have a purpose and is just wasting airtime, I might be out. But it’s too early to say, so I’m with this one for at least another week.

AAAANNNNND PRETTTYYYYY NOOOOOONAAAAA is today!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t even know why I’m excited, but I also LOVE the new title, There’s Something in the Rain because it reminds me of Love Rain and it’s been raining constantly here, so I listened to Jang Geun-seuk’s title track of that drama this morning and it just put me in the mood.

HMMM, conversation…conversation…while re-watching SWITCH with the husband:

Hubby: He’s really a pretty boy, isn’t he. (Referring to JGS)

Me: Sure, but he reminds me a lot of J. (my cousin)

Hubby: Except that he’s way thinner and better looking.

Me: And they’ve even made it a point to mention that he’s gained weight!

Hubby: He just looks older here than in Love Rain, everyone gains weight as they age.

Me: But he still looks amazing in a suit—and he’s istill thin!

Hubby: OK, that girl actually looks Korean. *my husband doesn’t prefer actresses that have had work done and change their facial structure so much that they lose that natural look*

Me: So, you’ll watch this one with me?

Hubby: Might as well. It’s interesting at least. *trying to hide his excitement, but I know he’ll be the one...

...watching this without me if he could!*

Moral of the Story: Trust JGS to make a drama watchable.

Second Moral: “Rain,” “Rain,” don’t go away, please come again today! (And bring a pretty noona and a handsome dongsaeng with you!)

Third Moral: It’s shaping up to be a beautiful weekend! Going to see my in-laws and hopefully getting them on the kdrama wagon this weekend! Happy Easter to you Beanies who celebrate it! ]

Oh, and I totally forgot LIVE!!! (Sorry, Shin Dong Wook, please forgive me.) What an amazing show! We are discussing it with other beanies since there's no recap and it's been wonderful. You can access it here: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/11/noh-hee-kyungs-live-recruits-shin-dong-wook-as-loyal-policeman/

Happy easter to you too. Like you I enjoyed switch. Even though I think it'll be similar to the countless dramas in this genre, maybe it's because this is my first time seeing JGS or maybe bcos I haven't watched a crime caper in so long, I think I'll probably continue this. But that double TOD! OMG! I knew it was gonna happen but when it did my hands literally flew over my mouth. That doesn't happen to me a lot.
As far as poetry is concerned, I liked it, probably because it doesn't focus on doctors much. Having said that, are these ppl also addressed as doctors? It's just a genuine query. Please don't misunderstand.

Also congrats on writing such a lovely article. I may re pick up this when I'm in the mood for watching friendship without any conflict or for that matter a loveline. I dropped it initially bcos of that..There was no conflict. .I know I'm sounding like a negative person but I do want some drama when I'm watching a drama! Plus at the time BTLIOF was going on..so unfortunately this lost the race.

Re: addressing people as doctors. No offense taken, but lay people will use the address of "doctor" to many people that actually don't have that degree. I see nurse practitioners (NP) and physician assistants (PA) (who can treat patients and prescribe medications with a doctor's supervision) called "Dr." by their patients a lot in the US. This doesn't bother me, but I do make the distinction when I'm documenting if the patient sees an NP or PA for their primary care because there is an actual doctor supervising these as well and sometimes I have to get them involved. I haven't seen physical therapists (PTs) and occupational therapists (OTs) addressed as "doctor" here in the US, but it may be something in Korea to keep everyone on a professional level (so they know that the PT and OT is part of the treatment team and overseeing that part of their treatment). It was confusing to me, especially when the new PT came to the hospital because they kept referring to him as a doctor. I still don't know if he might be a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist (PMNR) who is a medically trained doctor, at least in the US, or a physical therapist who may have done more research, ie. Ph.D, as they are addressed as "doctor" as well.

It seemed like a lot of the times what Dramafever was translating as "Doctor" they were saying "Sungsengnim" which (to my understanding) is actually closer to "teacher" or "professor". (There's actually a cute scene in 1% of Anything where the teacher heroine lectures the male lead on properly and respectfully addressing her as "Sungsengnim"). The PT intern students are addressing their PT instructors/superiors as such.

LOL... your husband is funny!!
And yes!!! JGS has gotten chunkier! 😂, very attractive and making me feel interested in his drama. I felt already a connection with him, and I want to keep it tuned.
I don't celebrate Easter, but I wish you happy holidays!!!

Hi @allly. I hope you don't mind me continuing here a conversation from Premier Watch (March 28)? I have now watched the first 2 episodes of A Poem a Day.
The character of Lee Je-wook played by Lee Joon-hyuk (LJH)
has made is appearance. The Wiki entry for LJH describes his character as "A physical therapy professor". I don't know yet if he is an MD or not. Thanks for clearing up use of the term Doctor in the series.
At premier watch you wrote concerning LJH:
"I knew he looked familiar, but he looks like he’s aged about 10 years from FOS to fit this role. That’s pretty amazing. He was such a two-faced pretty thing in FOS. Impressive. I’m speechless."
FOS is of course Forest of Secrets (2017). (I wrote before that I consider LJH's performance in FOS 5 stars!)
My take. When I first saw the stills for Poem I thought to myself LJH looks different. After watching his brief appearances, however, I really don't see much of a difference
from his appearance in FOS. In Poem his character is carrying some baggage so that affects demeanor I guess.
Now where I do see a difference is from when he portrayed Prosecutor Kim Young-joo in City Hunter (2011). That was almost 7 years ago. All I can say is we should all look so good 7 years later.
Anyway, Happy Easter you and all the beanies.

Well, I guess he could be a Ph.D then if he's a "professor" so the doctor title would be appropriate. I still think he's incredibly handsome with that jawline though. I'm all for a more mature look, after all, I'm 40 myself! Anyway, I hope I like his character here, or how he portrays it. I was impressed with him in FOS, and if he's half as engaging, it'll be another reason I stay with this drama.

Switch was exactly what I was hoping it would be but I really hate this trend of chopping episodes in half and pretending they're two episodes. Hate, hate, hate it.

Ugh, me as well. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

Hahaha...loving your conversation with your husband. I am a JGS fan and I am happy with the plot his new drama. Love the twists and the supporting characters.

Hi Everyone! ....... OT time! I hope you are all doing well today!

To all the Beanies who celebrate Easter this weekend, have a wonderful holiday!

This week:

Should We Kiss First - I'm up to episodes 7 & 8 and you know, I'm ok with Mu-han and Soon-jin, although I'm just so sad for her and how absolutely nothing seems to go her way. However, Mu-han's daughter, I can pretty much do without her being in the picture.

The Great Seducer - I had to take a peek at this and ended up watching the first 3 episodes. ..... And um, yeah, Woo Do-hwan can really turn on the charm --- and he knows it. I don't yet know if I'll continue watching it though. We'll see.

Misty - Finally got around to finishing this show, which I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end. I was actually ok with that ending.

Mystery Queen 2 - This week's case that was extended over from last week was more than a little obvious regarding what happened.

That's all for now. ...... Take care everyone and have a great Friday!

Hi everyone! Do you have that one actor/actress that you can’t get to like even after watching them in more than one drama? While everyone seems to gush about them, you don’t see the appeal?

My case is Ha Ji Won. She’s undoubtedly a beautiful actress and two dramas that I watched with her were OK but I never really liked her acting and I definitely don’t like her dead fish kiss scenes. I found out that her voice is bothering me a lot, does anybody else find her voice fake cute? Well, I guess it’s true that you can’t please everybody 😁

Suzy! I tried...but I could not watch any of the dramas she was in, even when the male lead was a fav of mine! I think part of it was all the hype she got, she may be a talented singer but acting...NO! Just my opinion!

I'm with you there. I don't begrudge her success at all, but I just don't get it.

Coming from a space where I had never heard of Suzy before I saw her in While You Were Sleeping, I was underwhelmed by her. Then I mentioned that online and got a torrent of abuse for being JEALOUS (apparently this is a thing when critiquing Suzy). She's not actively bad like Yoona but she's pretty ordinary.

Also, one thing I watch LJS dramas for is his amazing chemistry with his leading lady but she didn't have any with him. I didn't think this was physically possible.

Oh Yoona is another one. I can't speak to her acting ability as I think I've only seen her in one drama and that was years ago, but coming from the K-pop and K-variety world, people love her and I don't see it. Seems nice, but don't see it.

Interesting, Suzy seems to inspire such extreme reactions. In the lead up to While you were sleeping, there was a lot of bagging of her acting but I thought she did a reasonable job. She certainly wasn’t as woeful as the many comments would’ve had me believe.

I described her acting as 'servicable'. It didn't bother me until she had to do some more emotional scenes and fell flat. That was when I saw the limit of her abilities. It's fine for a rom-com but has no depth.

It’s better not to poke into Suzy and Yoona at websites that are primarily for k-pop fans. I’ve learned my lessons ha. I was complaining few years ago about Yoona ruining K2 for me and it didn’t end well.

Shin Se-Kyung. No matter how many times I tried watching her dramas, I never manage to finish any

I added Shin Se Kyung indeed.

But it still puzzle me how I really like her in Saeguk (she did good job in SFD & TWDR for me, badass Boon Yi) .

But whenever she appears in modern drama, I lost it all. If assume I hate her in loveline story (TWDR & SFD is not romance genre), but Boon Yi has love line with Lee Bang Won, which their chemistry is pappable, so yeah still a mystery.

That's why I keep my mouth shut about both Suzy & Yoona, I don't specifically dislike them but their acting is just.....ordinary like you said.

I don't get either of them but okay....

Many, one of them is Kim Kang woo for reasons I don't exactly know.
Ironically I have watched four of his dramas 😄; Circle, Story of A Man, My Husband Mr. Oh and M, but I dropped the last one because the plot was messy and I couldn't enjoy it.
I also don't like Lee Dong wook (he's not a good actor IMO, sorry), Suzy, Hyeri, Nam Jun hyuk, Ji Soo and every other idol/model turned actors (for obvious reason)
Usually I stay away from any conversation about them and don't watch their dramas. But if the story is good and the writing is solid I don't mind to watch their dramas. I'd be fool if I stop watching Story of A Man just because I don't like Kim Kang woo.

Gong Yoo was a model turned actor, him too?

So were Lee Min-ki and Kang Dong-won and probably a lot more I don’t know about.

I’m usually completely unaware when actors came from model backgrounds until someone tells me. Idols are different because I’m super into K-pop, but models? I normally have no clue.

Although, if I remember correctly, the whole cast of White Christmas were models, no? I think it was an intentional thing, they wanted them all to be tall? Lol. Not that all of them are stellar actors or anything... that was definitely the writer and director’s drama.

I should clarify that I don’t think I’ve ever seen Kang Dong-won in anything and can’t attest to his acting ability. But I know he’s successful.

Kim Young Kwang was definitely a model before he was an actor--I remember seeing him before I even knew what kdramas were (in a magazine). He's definitely a bias of mine.

Cha Seung-won too. He absolutely sizzles on the runway.

NOOO! 1000 X NOOO
Though my fascination for Gong yoo is not as big as yester-year not in a million year I would stop loving him. Unless he killed kitties or did something as terrible as killing kitties my love won't fade away.
Every human and sentient beings would love Gong yoo. Who doesn't love Gong yoo, seriously.
He's my second oppa (and technically the only favorite actors that I can call oppa) after Lee Je Hoon.
I don't know he was a model turned actors. I always thought he started as actor.

LOL, Ok we get it 😉 You like Gong Yoo. You couldn’t be more clear 😂 And I feel you, sister. When I started watching k-dramas everyone was oppa. Nowadays I’m muttering to myself “He’s only 2 years younger, that’s not that bad” 😅 🤦‍♀️

GY was a model before he debuted as an actor, but I think most of them start as models when they can’t land a role. Lee Jong Suk is a perfect example, he has pretty much a typical model body.

Lol. I have only watched him in 3 projects; Coffee Prince, Goblin, and Train to Busan. Just love him.
It feels weird to have a celebrity crush at my age , but there you go. Actually have had 2 in the past year.

@bcampbell1662, I’ve had like five this past year, but GY is the closest age-wise. 🤭😂

“and every other idol/model turned actors“

But... Junho! 😅

I do understand the sort of prejudice against idol-actors (and model-actors), and it’s frustrating when they take opportunities away from good rookie actors, but not all of them are bad. There are some really good ones out there... like Junho!

But I think Ji-soo has always been an actor... I don’t think he’s ever been a “model”.

Oh, and not really idols, but there are several good singers-turned-actors that come to mind—namely Seo In-gook and Lee Seung-gi.

Seo In Gook is firstly actor for me, never saw him signing besides a song for Reply Me 1997 😀

@cherryinbloom Oh, same here! I had no clue he was a singer until after I watched Answer Me 1997!

He has some good songs, though, if you ever want to check them out. Seasons of the Heart is gorgeous. 💖💖💖

I immediately thought of Seo In-gook. His acting is so good, he's highly underrated. I only found out he used to be an "idol" after 1997.

@leetennant SIG is the first actor I really fell for—one of the only ones, in fact. I love him! I really liked him in 1997 and then after watching I Remember You I fell in love. The rest is history. I’ve seen nearly everything he’s been in, barring The King’s Face and a couple of pre-1997 dramas. I miss him a lot. 💔

My favorite actors tend to be rather underrated/not super popular. I don’t know why my heart must do that.

You forget Do Kyungsoo. I had no idea he’s an idol. I saw him in ‘It’s okay it’s love’ and thought he was just a newbie actor till I read comments about EXO.
He’s been continuously proving himself. My annoying brother was a good movie and his supporting role in Along the gods was also good.

Even though it’s been ages since, there’s Jang Nara, Seo Hyuk Jin, Jung Ryeo-Won, Kim Min Jung and so many others. And we have actors turned singer 😂😂 Jang Hyuk a.k.a TJ and So Ji Sub a.k.a G-Sonic (I love both of them but man...😂😂)

Then there’s Lee Joon, Uee (she’s better than most), Im Siwan, Hoya... and many more

I should edit it: some not every.
Junho is awesome. But he's the best among his peers. In reality many of them are not that good.
In general I like Korean actors more than Hollywood's. But only Lee Je hoon who can give me similar satisfaction from watching his performance like when I watched Edward Norton's (damned I miss him, why he didn't make new movies?)

Edward Norton is making a new movie right now--or at least producing (directing? acting in?) one right now. Big fire in the building they were using as a set in past week or so. All over the news in NYC

@isbjorn I gotta check it out when it's released.
Thanks!

@isbjorn I didn't read the big fire part. Pabo me. So I googled Edward Norton with much enthusiasm and what I got was the news about accident in his latest movies set that killed a decorated fireman and left a single mother with a special need child homeles.
As his long time fan, I want to see more of his works. But safety should come first for everyone involved and affected.

What abt Kim Jae-Wook and Cha Seung-Won?

I agree about HJW's fake cute voice. I can't rewatch K2H as many times as I would like because I have to be in a mood that allows me to tolerate her voice.

Aaaand about that one actor that I can’t get to like though everyone seems to gush about... DB is not a safe place for me to confess that 😂 I reserve my right to be silent 😂

omg who?!
This suspense thing is just making me more curious rather than about the actor himself XD
*not forcing you to speak, only suspense kills me* XD

I gave a very easy hint to @cherryinbloom 😂😉

oh him! 🙄
Crawl out of your hole @midnight I'm joining you on this 😂
he's ok, I don't get this hype about him on DB either, but each to their own I guess... 🤷‍

Besides, like @cherryinbloom & @mindy said, you can state your opinion without fear, nobody would(or should) attack you :-)

Now now... if you tease us like this, you have to finish it! Give us initials! 😀

The initials are WAY too easy! 😂LMK!

Pretend you don't see me crawling into my hole!!

I think you’re not the only one? If it’s a person I think it is. Do you think this actor has such a huge following on DB?

@cherryinbloom well I have been on DB for a decade now and have never read anything but praise about him 😅 So I guess he does?

You don’t have to be scared to say that! 😂 We’re not gonna hurt you! Everyone’s entitled to their opinion!

I mean, I don’t necessarily understand because I was enchanted by him the moment I saw him, and even if I squint reaaaaally hard I can’t see flaws in almost any of his roles (I’m biased, I know, I know), but that’s fine that you don’t agree. There are lots of actors where I just don't get the hype.

@midnight As @mindy said I think nobody is going to attack you 😀 I honestly never encountered anything bad on DB. We almost agreed to disagree as civilised people 😀

Well, I don’t mind him at all, he’s a good actor but he never charmed me enough to follow him ferociously. But I guess I can see why he’s appealing to many fans.

No judging from this corner. Everyone has their own taste, and if LMK isn't yours, well, that just leaves more of him for the rest of us. (I know that sounded a little weird, but you know what I mean.)

@midnight
Ah, I don't like him too. And I actually edited his name out from my comment fearing of the backlash 😂 So you're not the only one.
He's overrated in every department, from look to talent. I keep asking myself is it because I don't like See hee? But I tried to watch him in other drama/film and I dropped all of them. It didn't happen with Kim Kang woo though I admitted I don't like him.

@cherryinbloom @mindy Thanks for the encouragement😊 Although I was half-joking about being scared 😁

@manohira omo! Really? That makes me feel much more confident!

@egads "that just leaves more of him for the rest of us"
Haha that is exactly what I say when people don't like my favorite actor or drama.

"I honestly never encountered anything bad on DB"......I guess you are lucky that you didn't face anything. 😅
I'm not saying I actually faced anything 'bad' but yeah, it happened in an indirect way...? And I've seen it happen to others too.
If you don't agree on the general opinion then are 'some people'(very few) who kind of show their protest indirectly.
I won't go too much into it, I haven't seen it happen lately but it does happen once in a while...
Maybe one of the reasons why @midnight was holding back..

What's nice here is that if anyone gets really nasty, it's either deleted or fellow Beanies try to kindly encourage the nasty energy to be directed in a more positive direction. I've seen it only once since I've found this site a few (5?) years ago. Hooray for a kind community!

@rentenmann ofc DB is a great community :-) I've seen the nicest people here since I found this site in 2008 (or was is 2010?? can't remember)
didn't actually see any mean comments, but something weird did happen once(or a few more times) soon after DB underwent the makeover. It was resolved quickly though so let's not get into it.
Other than that I've seen only kind people like you ^^
[I personally find the beanies very smart & mature] :-D

Come on. Tell us! We promise not to tell anyone else :)

Promise? O...k! I trust you! Here you go!

I have a repository of unpopular opinions on my fan wall. But feel free to speak up... I'm not sure who LMK is. If you'd said LMH we'd be in stunning agreement.

LMK = Lee Min-ki 😉

*whispers back*
I agree. I mean, I think he's not too bad but not all that

@leetennant I see you all are intent on stabbing me in the heart today.

@mindy
It seems to be my MO at the moment. But if it makes you feel any better, for some bizarre reason I mixed him up with Lee Joon-gi, who is hugely popular and whom I think is overrated. I have no idea why I would do something so odd.

I actually think Lee Min-ki is excellent.

@leetennant That does make me feel better. My poor heart took enough of a beating on this thread today, LOL. Lee Min-ki is, along with Seo In-gook, one of my absolute favorite actors. 💖

Did you say recently you still haven’t seen Shut Up: Flower Boy Band? Because he’s amazing in that, even though he’s only in the first 2 episodes. It was the first thing I ever saw him in and I was kind of mesmerized.

I have no real opinion on Lee Joon-gi. I have yet to see a drama of his I like, but I feel like it’s not his fault. He is just kinda terrible at picking projects.

It’s ok, as I said there’s no universally liked actor, so you’ll always find someone who doesn’t like your bias.

Once I saw some YT clips of his previous movie and it made my jaw drop. Didn’t know he was capable of filming such scenes ha 😀 Yes, I’m talking about sex scenes.

@cherryinbloom Of course, there is nothing and no one in this world that is universally liked! And I respect that.

And LOL, yeah, For the Emperor sure was something. It’s my least favorite of the movies of his I’ve seen, but... lol. Unless you mean the (much more tame) scene in Very Ordinary Couple. I really liked that one. 😊

It makes the fact that he kept giggling and seemed so adorably embarrassed in the BTS video for the BTLIOF bed scene even funnier. 😂 Boy, why are you embarrassed filming such a sweet, tame scene?!

@aisling, if you can make one exception for a Hwang Jung -em drama, it should be Giant.

LMH is meh. LMK is the opposite of meh.

The actor that I don't really understand his appeal is Choi Si-won. I mean he was fine in She Was Pretty, but nope.

LMH: I still remember watching City Hunter and seeing this "vigilante" flounce around like some sort of model on a shoot where the concept was "high-fashion badass". I laughed all the way through it.

I haven't seen Choi Si-won in anything because while I love Park Seo-joon I haven't heard good things about She Was Pretty.

Haha "flounce around . . . high fashion badass" that's it exactly!

People hate on She Was Pretty, and while it's not great, I don't think it's horrible, and Park Seo-Joon holds his own. Yes, his character is kind of an ass in the beginning, but this is drama world after all. And he's the only main character not lying about who he is, so that's gotta earn him some points.

I liked She Was Pretty and I couldn’t tell you why. I love Park Seo-joon but hated his character at the beginning.

I liked Hwang Jung-eum’s character. Yeah, she’s screechy, but I’ve seen her in so many things that I kinda am just used to it now. And she mellows out a bit after the first few episodes.

@egads You made me crack hard with that comment about “the only main character not lying about who he is” 😂 But that’s actually true when I think about it.

Choi Si Won never worked for me even though a lot of people had second lead syndrome from She Was Pretty. For me it was the first drama with Park Seo Joon and oh boy, I wasn’t able to look at anybody else. It was a love at first sight.

Hwang Jung Eum is another actress I refuse to watch, my ears and eyes hurt whenever she’s onscreen. I’m praying she won’t get paired up with my favourite actors.

CSW is hilarious. I don't think I could take him seriously if that's what he's ever going for. I still really like this guy, though. If I see him in an acting role then I am usually prepared to laugh.

LMK is strange for me. I really like him, but at some angles his looks are extreme. It definitely makes me remember him!

Every time I start to get upset about a drama I remember that I don't HAVE to watch anymore of it. I'm actually in the process of trying to decide whether it's worth it to continue watching "Tempted". Woo Do-hwan is hitting all the right buttons for me, but the story is hard for me to watch. I haven't been able to watch the original source material because the deceptions are too nerve-wracking for me to watch while knowing there will be a huge shipwreck at the end. I won't mention more here, as I will wind up with a thesis here.

About LMH..... I felt like he had potential but then.....what happened??? 😂
I honestly don't know...I feel like he fizzled out? 😅

@Midnight I'm totally wondering if it's the same person I'm thinking of. I mentioned her in a comment before and DUDE. Feel like I'm suffering from PTSD based on the reaction--although to be fair it was only two people who wouldn't let up no matter how much I was like "I totally understand you love her and you have a right to, I'm just overall underwhelmed."

Ha Jiwon, Jisung (I only watched him in Protect the Boss, tried to watch his other dramas but I couldn't pass 5 minutes. I like him in variety show, though. And I like Lee Boyoung!), Hwang Jungeum, Seo Kangjoon, Park Yoochun.

Jang Geunsuk, Kim Haneul and Song Seunghun too.

For me it’s Lee Jong Suk. I guess it’s because I get distracted by the Smile Lipft, or the lip corner lift, LOL!

LJS is really good when he's given highly-emotional characters. He can channel that emotion really well and give a surprisingly-raw performance. That's why he was so good in School 2013 and I Hear Your Voice.

But give him more measured material and he relies on a series of tics and poses that I find really distracting. I found his performance in While You Were Sleeping to be a bit formulaic. But having said that, I thought the characterisation for that was thin so he wasn't handed a well-developed character to interpret.

"he relies on a series of tics and poses " lmao I always notice that part about him 😆 & I find it distracting too. You explained it properly.

I think he has potential, especially portraying emotions like you said, I'm not a fan (or anti-fan) but I see that he does fairly well 👍

WHAT ticks are you talking about? 😀 I want to know!

@cherryinbloom
Lol its the way he tilts his head & kind of poses when he smiles 😂
You must've noticed that too, he does that a lot.
I always thought it was his signature style until @leetennant pointed out that he used be a model & maybe that posing habit of his has stayed 😁

@fatcat007 LOL, you mean this? 😂 Now I’ll be laughing every time I see it!

I thought I was the only one who didn’t like LJS!!!
I’ve watched a bunch of his stuff actually, and the only one I don’t remember wondering why I didn’t like him was school 2013 and I think it’s was the Kim Woo Bin factor and that he didn’t have to smile so much in it. Something about his smile always seemed fake to me.

When he smiles, he poses. I always thought that was a product of doing so much modelling. He's always giving this amazing performance and then the script calls for him to smile and he looks like he's in a photo shoot. That and the *click* thing he does with his mouth with the wink.