Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food: I’m loving this show right now. It’s a simple concept, but done elegantly in a way I can really connect to. I find it the most accessible of PD Ahn Pan-seok’s shows to date, which for me is a very welcome thing; his shows, while deserving of their critical acclaim, always feel a bit too aggressively highbrow in a way I don’t relate to. But this drama is for me the best of both worlds — taking a familiar concept (it’s basically a next-generation What’s Up Fox) and elevating it with its classy execution. Plus this couple has natural chemistry out the wazoo.

chickachunga

Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food: Zzzz…couldn’t get through even half of the first episode so I’ll just stick to the snippets of cute on YouTube. I see the Pretty, but where’s the Food? And the plot?

My Ajusshi: My Ajusshi is currently my cup of tea. I love it so! I feel the weight of each line of dialogue, and the direction imbues each episode with a thick layer of beautiful melancholy that feels shared, familiar, and strangely comforting. Gloom never looked or felt so good.

mary

Mystery Queen 2: I can’t believe this ends next week when we’ve barely moved the plot along. Please tell me there’s proper closure in store for us because I don’t think I can stay for a third season unless it’s a spin-off featuring Inspector Woo and his “chic” frugal lifestyle.

My Husband Oh Jak-doo: I promise I had a decent write-up about how sweet the main couple is and how they melt my K-drama-hardened heart, but someone just tagged me with a video of Kim Kang-woo’s boyband rapper days and now I can’t think of anything else.

TeriYaki

You Who Forgot Poetry: This quiet drama has a way of getting me to think about the characters days after I watch the episodes, especially the triangle between Lee Yoo-bi, Lee Joon-hyuk and Jang Dong-yoon. Bo-young (Lee Yoo-bi) combines an inner sensitivity with outward klutziness that proves irresistible to Dr. Ye (Jang Dong-yoon). What started as a one-sided crush on Bo-young’s part may be turning into something more, and Min-ho (Jang Dong-yoon) is suddenly very jealous of their closeness. Jang Dong-yoon has such a sweet-looking face that is at complete odds with Min-ho’s prickly personality, he can be such a jerk to Bo-young. Min-ho has taken every opportunity to caution her not to like him anymore and now that she’s moving on, he realizes that he may be interested in her. I find this scenario especially interesting because who hasn’t witnessed something like this in real life? Min-ho has so much growing up to do so I’m cheering for Dr. Ye, but something about the young intern keeps me from dismissing him altogether.

That Man Oh-soo: This easy-going romance took an ominous turn this week and it looks like we will finally learn more about the mysterious tree that looms large in Oh-soo’s life. I dread that we may have to endure a noble idiocy situation, but with the end in sight, at least it won’t last long. I’m officially over the second lead, who just can’t seem to accept that he’s been rejected.

My Husband Oh Jak-doo: For now, this is still my favorite drama. The chemistry between Uee and Kim Kong-woo has been a pleasant surprise as their contract marriage progresses towards a genuine one. Uee has really matured as an actress and it’s a treat to see her in scenes with the more seasoned actors. I never expected this kind of depth when I first saw her in You’re Beautiful.

abirdword

The Great Seducer: I know Shi-hyun’s dad is the worst, but somehow I was still surprised that he got on board with Soo-ji’s plan so quickly. I’m just so embarrassed for Soo-ji’s mom, who deserves to go be awesome without this jerk. Meanwhile, Shi-hyun’s facial expressions as he chased down his drunk ex-girlfriend were too real. Tae-hee as a character has felt mostly inconsistent to me, but I like that she’s reliably willing to be vulnerable every time Shi-hyun tries to turn away. They need to hurry up and make up so we can see more of Shi-hyun’s adorable rapid-fire kiss attacks.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Just finished episode 6 of That Man, Oh Soo and anyone would have a hard time convincing me that Kim Jin Woo is not a low-key (maybe not so much) creeper.

I'm stalled at the amnesia episode in I Can Hear Your Voice. My attempt to enjoy a noona-romance is failing miserably. Its been like 2 weeks since I began repeatedly starting the same episode but never getting past the first 10 minutes. Which segues into the next dilemma which is, I can't really concentrate on any other drama because ICHYV is on my shoulder nagging me to finish it.

ICHYV is one of those shows I'm positive about overall and so I tend to forget the fact I found the back half plot semi-ridiculous and even a bit tiresome. If you can get the amnesia plotline then it picks up pace. A lot of people like the amnesia because they like the idea of LJS falling in love with her all over again for exactly the same reasons. I just found it cliched and tired.

Having said that, ICHYV is a show I have a lot of affection for so bear with it!

How about clearing your part with reading DB recaps for an episode or two? This helped me with numerous dramas. I really don't like memory loss in dramas but ICHYV was bearable quickly.

Agreed, JinWoo is a creeper. The hospital scene made me mad. Dude, move on.

The hospital scene was ridiculous. I didn't understand why they all acted as if she hasn't made a choice between the two men yet and she is not now dating Oh Soo. The way both men acted was stupid. I expected Oh So to say "dude, back off, she is my girlfriend".

"You Who Forgot Poetry: I like this development in the fandom where the show wants us to have a shipping war but Beanies are holding a war of wits instead. It’s like firing jokes at your opponent’s ship. If they lose, at least they go down laughing. (Or barely smiling while your back is turned at night, for fellow passengers of the Ye Line.)"

😂 Us Beanies are the gentlest of shippers, our wars consist of small pokes and taps and grins as we celebrate any little sign that /this/ ship might sail over /that/ ship.

I'm still trying to sneak a peek at the Minho-Boyoung ship but @raonah is guarding it too well :<

😂😂 We can tell you, if you want to come aboard! A lil' sneak peek : We have melona, dance instructors, and oh, so much food. I'm the chef. (I believe @letseatcookies gave me a more official title, but it's slipping my mind at the moment.)

@mary you are more than welcome to take a tour and join us. We'll just have our security @tspmasala (spicykimchi) escort you to make sure you don't try to sabotage our ship 😄

@mary Stand firm.
@raonah & @bammsie have been continously sending out rowboats with melona bars & what not in the hope of enticing someone away from the Ye Liner! Repeat offenders. @kimbapnoona can attest.

Since the melona bars didn't work... @greenfields you know, I think I saw Yoongi on the MinHoYoung somewhere... 😉

PWAHAHAHA, I full-on busted out laughing reading that, @raonah. 😂 Can’t wait to see how she reacts..

*jaw drops*
o_O
*ready to jump*

But wait, surely you're joking? Don't play with my fangirl heart. TT_TT What if I jump ship only to find it was not true?

Yoongi? No Yoongi?
Yoongi? No Yoongi?
Yoongi? No Yoongi?

*brain goes into overdrive*
*boiling point*
*critical* *critical*

*girl down*

*speaking from the grave*
...send that rowboat. Perhaps my ghost, at the very least, can live in proxomity to Yoongi.

😂 I knew we'd convince you eventually *sends rowboat*

*boards rowboat*

@raonah & @bammsie - err..tbh I don't know how to respond because I'm rambling in my response above (and I even cut it down 😂). Most unlawyerly.

HOWEVER, as far as Yoongi is concerned - my ghost does not care about ships or dry land. I'm (my ghost is) wherever he is.

@raonah - because I am uncool this way, it has taken a few hours for the correct response to strike me. Right in the middle of keyboard practice and now I must share it:

"*calls your bluff*
I hear he's on the Ye Liner.
(I just haven't found him yet)"

There! HA!
Aren't I smart? Yoongi stan after all.
Injeong - a worthy opponent.

Now the "Ship-That-Has-Multiple-Names" is engaging psychological warfare? Comrade @greenfields has been targeted at her softest underbelly I see. I am impressed with the relentlessness of these assaults.

The silent Ye-Liners:
Stay Strong.
Live Strong.
Ye-Liner Strong!

Reinforcement (and support group) can always be found from Kimbap, Bo-young sized.

The Ye Line maintains its calm in the face of such nefarious pirate behavior. Now that our former shipmate @greenfields is safely ensconced on neutral territory we wish her well and remind everyone that Dr Ye has plenty of straps to throw out to tow you to our ship. Jack-doo the handsome mountain man of our weekend ship has kindly provided sturdy yet buoyant doors for floating beanies. Long Live the Ye Line!

@mary Jak-doo is also ordering everyone on the Ye Line a cappuccino so we stay warm and alert during battle.

@greenfields Don't let the Ye Liners fool you. I have actual evidence of Yoongi being aboard the MinHoYoung. He's even looking at you on the Ye Liner, wondering why you haven't joined him yet. He's waiting for you 😄

*tries to figure out what @kimbapnoona weakness is*

@egads, @kimbapnoona - thank you for your kind understanding. My actions today ... *shakes head*. I am repentant, but the Isle of Neutrality offers a safe haven.

@raonah -
1. That 'evidence' is beautiful. 😍😍 I am now thoroughly distracted.
2. But after my initial shock, I have now gathered myself.
3. @kudoran has already explained the situation here:

Regardless, I have now sought shelter amidst the inhabitants of the Isle of Neutrality - to recover from this blow. After Pretty Noona & the Yoongi attack, I re-evaluated my alignment, and chose Neutral.

Okay that link does not lead where I thought it would. Never mind. From what @kudoran tells me - you have 'Suga(r)' not 'Suga'. They do look completely similar so I shall let the mistake pass.

@greenfields I'm glad at least you are no longer on the wrong ship 😉 I will wait until the next episodes air to try to convince you that you should board the MinHoYoung. Have fun on the Isle of Neutrality. *sends Melonas*

@raonah - HAHAHAHA you know me all too well. As a member of the Isle of Neutrality, I think it is safe to (once again) shamelessly accept Melonas. There are none to be found in my country anyway.

@greenfields *hugs*

How many of us on this Isle of Neutrality? Me thinks it's not a bad place. You have free food and entertainment with no danger of getting your toes wet!

@outofthisworld - oops! Reply posted below.

@outofthisworld - Great to meet you! So far I have met @snarkyjellyfish & @wishfultoki on dry land.

Two's a company and four's a party!

Maybe more will join when it becomes more apparent that one ship will triumph over the other. Statistics, however, show that these castaways will never head towards Isle of Neutrality.

@outofthisworld - as a former Ye Liner, I retain fond memories, and must admit that the pull is very strong, I hope they do not go down with the Ship.

In the meantime, we PARTY! :D :D

@chickachunga
finally someone spoke my mind about 2 dramas...

My Ahjusi.. so well said the last line. Gloom never felt so good and so comforting that i watched whole 8 episodes of pain, suffering without being emotional mess. And the main reason was all the sadness as there to strengthen me being that way and not show me what's wrong being that way..... such a wonderful show.

"Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food: . I see the Pretty, but where’s the Food? And the plot?"
couldn't agree more than that.....

I'm baffled by people who find Pretty Noona boring (you're not the only one by far). I'm so engaged, it's the one I look forward to most every week! Jin Ah's fight for professionalism at work, the stifled atmosphere with her mom at home, and then Joon Hee's fast-building crush absolutely hooked me. And now I'm in it for the excellent characterizations of two people who are falling deeply in love but trying to navigate social and family expectations, and also not completely screwing over a 20-year friendship.

The two leads are incredible, and this is the first Kdrama that feels 100% genuine in progression. I like a contract marriage as much as anyone, and This is Our First Life was a favorite, but in Pretty Noona much of what the leads go through resonates viscerally with the viewer in an "I remember when we did that, and how it felt" way.

If you can, try it again.

With all due respect to Chickachunga and acknowledging people have different tastes and not everything is everyone's cup of tea, I think it is rather harsh to declare a drama without a plot with half of a first episode. Many dramas spend episodes setting up. I am 4 episodes in and the plot is clear to me. It is the efforts of a couple that do not fit society's norms to say together.

Where is everyone watching or pretty noona? Can’t find on Viki or dramafever

I just spotted it on Netflix in the UK last night. Title "Something in the Rain".

I binged watched the 1st 4 eps. I’m loving it at this point.

@KdramaSwimmer_w8ing4_JunKiOppa

Lol mine too! We're in good company w/ chickachunga :-)

I burst out laughing when I saw chickachunga's thumb's down review right after the positive one from javabeans.

lol.. for sure we are in good company. hope to you u around.

And likewise! The shared interest makes the whole experience more fun :-)

indeed..

well I'm also with @chickachunga also, I don't find "Noona" engaging to me, sorry, because I'm looking for a deeper plot which I can exercise my faculty but the "Ajussi" is the one that caught me, and gave me the depth I look for when watching dramas.

hi fi chingu ya.. we do have similar taste to look for deeper plots...

Yes chingu, I don't want to waste my precious time watching dramas without me learning something that I can apply to my life.

I actually remember this line from My Ajussi-when the "has been actress" (sorry can't remember her name) told the PD brother when she visited their cleaning shop, she said that she wish she had an AI or people should be AI ,so that people will stop criticizing people as if they were so "amazing". It hit back home to me, that I found myself slapped in the face,because we easily judge people without knowing their circumstances and why they ended up doing things. I actually love these kind of dramas so "noona" doesn't appeal to me .Anyways taste is subjective and I am happy for those people loving "Noona".

again on agreement... i watch drama and learn something or other (no matter how dramatic they are ) which i apply to my life (even without realizing that i am doing so).

that AI context from Yoo Ra (thats her name the actress) was so hard hitting towards the people who judge people and look for perfection in everything without knowing what hardships one has gone through to be what they are know (even the faulty imperfect ones).

I am learning so many things watching Ahjussi which i could never imagine doing before starting it. nice to know there are many who has same taste and way of watching a drama as mine...

@kdramaswimmer
your so eloquent chingu, you have explained it so well, there are actually a lot of lessons that I want to emphasize in this drama but my limited English prevents me to do so.Anyway, thanks for the reply and I hope My Ajussi will not falter in giving us a weekly dose of reality till the end.I hope this drama is a keeper.thanks.

@jam and KdramaSwimmer_w8ing4_JunKiOppa

I'm actually disappointed that I don't like Pretty Noona. Out of all the dramas that are currently airing, I was looking for to it the most.

But I do love My Ahjussi, so it's a pleasant surprise that a drama I didn't have high expectations for (skeptical about the writer) became the drama that I look forward to (impatiently) each week. The story is unique and the characters are engaging and compelling. And yes, there are always conversations and connections that move me and allow me to re-visit/look at the world from a new perspective.

same here exactly... i was a Son Ye Jin fan after Shark and looking forward to Pretty Noona but here i am noding my head in disbelief as to why i cant love it when i wanted to so much.

My Ahjussi.. i dint even look at it for past weeks knowing its a Melo and i am in no mood to cry over a drama (as my real life is already sad n gloomy).. and here i am spamming my fan wall just about this drama and commenting here.... so this drama is surely something to make us crazy for it.

I enjoyed reading the discussions on your fan wall but since I can't comment there without an account, I'll just do it here. To pass the time until Wednesday comes, you should consider heading over to Soompi where even more discussions are happening about this show. It makes the passage of time go faster. https://forums.soompi.com/en/topic/408082-current-drama-2018-my-mister-%EB%82%98%EC%9D%98-%EC%95%84%EC%A0%80%EC%94%A8-wed-and-thu-2130-kst/?page=55

@MapleSilver
thanks for stopping by on my wall and i did visit My ahjussi soompi thread (i m on soompi with same username kdramswimmer) few hours back and read last 2 pages (55 n 54 ) already.. but yes your suggestions is what i never thought tk read all the posts til i get next episode.
thanks dear.

@chikachunga
Wow...what you mentioned are my thoughts exactly. I never expected to love My Ajusshi. I never even planned to watch the show since I wasn't convinced with IU casting and how much I hate "Another Oh Hae Young" but strangely, this drama just touched me in many ways. While it is gloomy, it is just so emotionally rewarding until now.

Pretty Noona is a snoozefest. But actually, you get them see them spending a lot of time with food. LOL. But the sweet treats were overdone and god, I have never seen so much kissing in k-dramas, I started to feel annoyed. Gave the show 5 episodes already and I am done.

glad i am not alone..to love My Ahjussi and not liking Pretty Noona.
Ahjussi is so well made drama despite having so much sadness its rewarding (thanks for this word) indeed. each n every emotional step DH JA take towards each other just makes my heartbeat increase. I had contemplated for whole last week to start or not this drama for being "melo" but i am so happy that i did.... it just empowered me in many ways.

Noona... better i dont speak cause I hv shared my views already. but agree with you that its so much cheesy and sweet to my taste. i got bored by epi3, you still kept up till epi5.

Ha, the LACK of kissing in other kdramas is always what bewilders me. I have a very hard time believing two people are passionately in love with each other if they spend the entire time holding hands and shyly smiling at each other. So the amount of skinship and kissing in Pretty Noona are pretty much right on target for me, and I appreciate how that progress of the skinship is such a focal point of the show.

In real life especially during the honeymoon phase of a new relationship people cannot stop touching each other and feel a constant need for hugging, kissing etc. (thus causing established couples and singles surrounding them feel nauseated!) There is a lot of scientific research on hormones and how they relate to bonding in this phase of relationships.

I agree with you dear friend. but I don't think it can be generalized that each n every female (or male) been through honeymoon (real or just initial phase of relationship) so its completely up to the person how they perceive such skinship or relationship.
so it depends on what life one has in last and what kind of struggled they been through to like/dislike a drama.
for me i cant relate to Noona but can nod for yes for almost every philosophical dialogue or struggling scene (both JA or DH)

Maybe I am in the most unromantic category and I don't find those gestures relatable (yes I agree, in fact nauseating) because I did not do that (not that I expect the same for others). My point is, the relationship development in pretty noona with plenty of skinship feels too physical whereas I prefer the emotional bonding more. I find the OTP jumped into the physical stuffs too early and too fast without any real emotional connection which is why I guess I felt agitated watching them. End of story, I don't like the drama at all.

@delailash
everything you said is EXACT my feels 100000% same.
Being Unromantic.. so what i am in same boat with you...

I think it just depends where you land on the spectrum of skinship - for me, it's a huge part of the beginning of a relationship and then remains an undercurrent all the way through, so that's why it's so weird for me that the vast majority of kdramas are so mannered.

But I would say that if Pretty Noona was all skinship and no emotional bonding, I wouldn't be into it. That would just be hormones, which is a completely different thing. But it's the laughing and phone calls and lingering to peek into offices and desire to support the other person that's selling Noona for me. They're not constantly looking for reasons to sneak away and touch each other, they're wanting to spend as much time together as possible in any context because they just like each other so much as people.

If the writer and actors had handled this differently, all of these episodes could've felt like an unexploded bomb - two people indulging in physical attraction shallowly and running the risk of splitting up when discovered. I wouldn't have enjoyed that drama, it would be about sneaking around rather than about love. But this feels like the opposite, that they're forging something extremely solid and doing it purposely and deliberately and carefully, and with every intention of eventually telling others because they're in it for the long haul.

@kdramaswimmer, @miranda, @Del
And.... you also have to take into account, these two, JA and JH have known each other for over 20 years! They already had lots of spiritual/familiar bonding. I think it is natural that after they confessed to each other they like each other, turning physical is pretty normal.

@Del
I was skeptical about My Ahjussi too because of Another Oh Hae Young. I liked the first half but stopped watching the second half because the main Oh Hae Young character became so annoying (even though I like Seo Hyun-Jin).

I don't think Pretty Noona would be doing as well in ratings without Son Ye-Jin and Jung Hae-In. Just imagine two unknown actors in their roles, and it would be even more of a snoozefest. Basically this drama is showcasing Jung Hae-In in all his adorable charming glory and turning him into an actor worth the A-list status (and well deserved of course).

Or maybe "Pretty Noona" is a drama that people in Korean can relate to.

Son Ye-jin is a great talent but with crappy material, the starpower can only go so far like "Shark."

I think it's a combination of a great PD who knows what the heck he is doing, a new writer with simple relatable dialogues, two leads who are both beautiful and talented etc...

Well, I never said Pretty Noona is crappy material or it's only successful because of star power. Those are narrow minded ways of looking at ratings when drama/filmmaking is so complex and requires many people and elements to make it successful. But there's no denying their natural and sizzling chemistry, and Jung Hae-In's irresistible charm (this drama is making him a big star and the talk of the town). Pretty Noona’s popularity may even be more than just people being able to relate to it. Whether people are dating younger men or not, it's speaking to the desires of women. Who isn’t squeeing over their cuteness or being light headed over JHI’s smiles? I’d be curious to know the gender breakdown of people watching this drama.

But I was so looking forward to this drama that I am disappointed in how long each episodes are and the gratuitous music video and slow motion in all their moments together to the tune of Stand By Your Man or Save the Last Dance for Me. To me, the storytelling, development and editing could be tighter.

I've ever accused you of anything. Just speak freely ;p.

;-D I always enjoy chatting with you kiara!

@news
Why are you still in grey? I can't follow you :(.

Aw, that's so cute kiara! :-D It's like we can officially be chingus by following each other, the online equivalent to exchanging friendship bracelets lol. I'll have to re-consider my unregistered status, so I can befriend all the wonderful beanies here :-)

I would give Pretty Noona all due credit for the ratings. It's definitely not just the star power of the leads as ratings are increasing week after week. Its testament of how the show is engaging viewers and bringing in more over time. If it's a snoozefest to many, ratings will be stagnant or have very slight increase (best scenario) or decline (worst scenario). Look at the ratings for star-studded Scarlet Heart Ryeo, Uncontrollably Fond and Big (omg scarred for life with this one). Star power can only do so much.

Pretty Noona is drawing in viewers for good reason, and if I were 5 years younger, I would just be even more drawn to it. Don't get me wrong I love Pretty Noona loads, but My Ahjussi wins my heart. I just happen to be in this transition stage in life so I think I fully understand how both camps feel as I enjoy both dramas.

However I don't really agree with how some are saying that Pretty Noona has too much skinship and kissing. That may be due to our individual differences in relationship experiences. I for one find that extremely real, in fact a bit TOO real, so real that I find it uncomfortable, not fan service, not sensationalising. And kdramas have rarely, or should I say have almost never, depicted relationships this real before because they time the kisses to be in episodes where they require a climax, a ratings boost, etc.

So to those who find the kisses overbearing, the drama boring, yes that's what the people around us feel when we are in a relationship too. Jin Ah's brother told Joon Hee how he was disgusted with Jin Ah and Lee Gyu Min being total lovebirds during their honeymoon courtship phase. It is similar to how some beanies feel negative regarding Jin Ah and Joon Hee's development, and Pretty Noona as a whole.

If you read the naver comments, those who love the drama love it for how relatable it is. Not just the fluttery feels, but because they remember feeling that same sort of fluttery feelings at some point in life before, some similar situation before. I know on DB we have different experiences/values, but I think a larger majority of the domestic and international drama community feels like JB, Miranda and me, which translates to ratings.

I just want to say both dramas are awesome in their own way. I think we beanies are very lucky this 2018.

i dont think anyone here said that Pretty Noona has anything wrong in showing all the real love, skinship and romance...
its just that our reality differs a lot from what shown there and we cant connect with it... my reality is in sync with My Ahjussi and both DH - JA's life reality so i am following it diligently.

@kdramaswimmer Actually there was, someone mentioned it was overdone. And I'm just saying I disagree with that, not that I'm right and she's wrong. Not @news but another commenter above.

Regarding the difference in realities, I believe I have acknowledged that in my original post.

Pretty Noona is my past (WITHOUT a Seo Joon Hee by the way, its just Lee Gyu Min and Jin Ah's mom and doing Seo Joon Hee-branded nauseatingly sweet stuff with Lee Gyu Min type of jerk), Ahjussi is my present life... A true representation of my 30s.

Gawd real life sure is depressing.

i actually love pretty noona. it's pretty natural... and, to use jb's word, "elegant", to me. i don't find it to be one-note. while i haven't had the kind of relationships she's had, i totally feel for jin-ah.

having noted that, it looks like i really should tune in to my ahjusshi... seeing all of the recommends on here, lol.

you must try Ahjussi but only if you kind of like dark gloomy dramas. also keep a pack of tissues while watching it and a tub of ice cream in fridge for the moment you finish each episode.
do let us know if you like it ?

There are three reasons I could not get into Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food. One is that there really is nothing going on except for their affair, their hiding their affair, and then the gender politics thing in the office, which I think is a little too in-your-face and could have been delivered more effectively had it been more subtle. I understand the attempt at mood, and art, and beauty through that deliberate slowness, but I think while that might work for me in a film, it doesn't in a drama. It might if it only occurs in certain spots here and there, but for it to happen throughout just doesn't work for me.

This ties in with the entire mood and feel of it. I like it, but it somehow feels pretentious to me. As a reviewer I read said, it looks like a French film, feels like a French film, has that avant-garde vibe to the cinematography, but it's not. It's something else entirely. Just like that soundtrack. Those songs might induce a certain mood, but there is something off about them, like a designer bag that looks right but is somehow off, but you know is not authentic. There is an air of pretentiousness to these songs, and they grate on the nerves after some time. i do not know what sensibility the director is following but it certainly does not connect with me.

Thirdly and most importantly, and I'm sure this will elicit a lot of anger and flak, but I want to say this is just my opinion and preference -- I do not like the female lead, the noona. Because of that, I could not connect with her and with the drama. I do not like how she is somewhat of a pushover, how she has something of a victim mentality. I do not like how, instead of talking it out maturely with everyone concerned, she prefers to act like a criminal and lie to everyone. I do not like how she seems to be incapable of standing up to her mother, not to be disobedient, but just to carry the point across that she is now her own woman and has the freedom to do as she chooses. I do not like the way she is dealing with the ex. The best thing to do in such a situation is for her to really communicate with him in order to make it very clear that she is no longer interested in getting back with him. She does say this to an extent, but, in my opinion, not with enough conviction, and lacking a certain type of communication that will get her point across clearly and aggressively. In short, she lacks the kind of strength and maturity I like in my heroines. That scene where she was hiding in the closet and crying about leg cramps (others would argue it wasn't because of the cramps, but that is up for interpretation), to me just shows her immaturity. She seemed at that point just plainly crying for attention, and throwing a little tantrum for being left there so long, when it wasn't his fault at all. That was the point I decided to drop this drama.

I like Joon Hee to a certain extent but I also do not like the way he becomes subverted by her. She is the noona in the first...

Thank you very much! This is exactly my sentiment for pretty noona. I'm at the age of the Noona myself and I expected that I would enjoy this drama, but I don't. I want to say this drama is pretentious , I'm glad that I'm not the only person that feel this.

"In short, she lacks the kind of strength and maturity I like in my heroines"

thats my feel exactly word to word....... and thats why i dropped it after 3 episodes.

When Pretty Noona was announced I was so thrilled and thought it’d be exactly my cup of tea but strangely it doesn’t do anything special to me. Right now my heart belongs to Oh Jak Doo and my soul to My Ahjussi. Both shows are as different as they could be but they clicked with me instantly.

Ha! I didn’t know, @mary, that my post with rapping KKW will haunt you until now 😀 But honestly... it’s hard to forget once you watch it 😂

someone mentioned My Ahjussi and so m here for one hug and love cause you love this drama too...🤗🤗🤗🤗

That dance! 🙌🙏

Have you seen Jang Hyuk rapping/singing/dancing? He even has music videos w/ Jun Ji-Hyun.

See the BTS of Jang Hyuk learning to tapdance for PLEASE TEACH ME ENGLISH. It's a hoot, and he goes all out. It looks like something from GREASE, but it's not.

Lol I've seen it and I love his all in attitude :-)

I may be wrong, but I believe he asked to have that scene in the film as an excuse to work with his now wife (who was the dance instructor).

Aw, that's so sweet. I'd read that Jang Hyuk married his Pilates instructor, so she must be one talented and busy lady. -- And that explains why he looked like he was having such a blast while tap dancing. He was also gung-ho doing the tango in DANCE OF THE DRAGON, IIRC. JH's sword tangoes in sageuks are just plain terrific. ;-)

Ok, I have not seen him dance the tango, so I'll have to look it up! Yes, totally agree..the fight choreography and art direction in Chuno was just excellent. It's a mystery how he (and Lee Junki) can do all their stunts so effortlessly. It's like watching a work of art.

I know, it's haunting me in the worst possible way hahahaha. I prefer Kim Kang Woo as an actor though I kinda think that he, in his younger days, was a bit of a cutie.

*in love*

Same same. The only two dramas that I'm watching and enjoying so much.

This has sadly been a very unproductive drama-watching week for me… but luckily, productive in Real Life stuff, and I finished a book for the first time since October. I am a huge bookworm but was in a slump and I think that’s the longest I’ve gone without reading a book since I learned how to read. No joke.

Anyway, I’m behind on Woohoo Waikiki and that’s all thanks to…

You Who Forgot Poetry! I caught up on episodes 1-4 on the weekend and decided to dedicate my Monday and Tuesday to this show instead of Waikiki (which I will watch this weekend). I’m loving this little show. The quirky characters, ongoing jokes and catchphrases, and the slice-of-life workplace vibes all remind me of the best American sitcoms, a little bit like Parks and Rec, and I really love that. I really like how the show has already made me really like characters that the first episode or two made me think I’d hate. It reminds me of Dal-ja’s Spring in that way, which is definitely a good thing. What this show has made me realize is that I’m not much of a shipper. I’m a Ye Liner but when it comes down to it I’m really not that invested in either potential relationship, at least not as invested as some other viewers seem to be. I just love Bo-young and want her to be happy, and the main reason I like Dr. Ye is simply because she does. He also reminds me of my beloved Se-hee of Because This Life is Our First. I love that both that show and this one show that you can have seemingly “emotionless”, aloof characters who are still good, kind people who truly respect the heroine.

Also still loving My Ajusshi. I don’t know if I’m in the minority here, but I’ve decided that I don’t want a romantic relationship to develop between Ji-an and Dong-hoon. Their conversation on the subway about her grandmother being able to stay in a nursing home for free, and him asking, “Didn’t you have anyone to teach you this stuff?”, made me realize that what Ji-an needs more than anything right now is a parental sort of figure, not a lover. I think it would be amazing for a drama to show that platonic relationships can be just as strong and make just as big of a change in people’s lives than romantic relationships. I’m not 100% sure where the show is going with their relationship still, and I am not totally opposed to romance developing, but I think it would be special for this show to focus on a different type of relationship than the usual or expected. Men and women can indeed “just” be friends, and very strong ones at that.

And that’s all, folks! Still need to get around to watching Pretty Noona... and at some point I’ll try to check out both Live and Switch!

Oh! I never talk about American TV shows here, but I thought I’d throw out that I’m watching Jane the Virgin as I’m typing this (during commercials). It’s definitely my favorite current US TV show and has been ever since the day it began airing (well,...

...maybe after Parks went off the air). Anyone else watch JTV? I feel like it’s the type of show that many K-drama viewers would like.

JTV is the only American show I'm keeping up with at the moment especially since I'm watching it with my sister. I grew up with telenovelas so I saw JTVs appeal and started watching it since the first episode. When I started watching kdramas, I saw the parallels to telenovelas and was incredibly excited over its 16 and 20 episode runs!😊

I knew very little about telenovelas before watching Jane, but I love how the show pays homage to the genre with lots of love while still playfully poking fun at it at times. The amount of meta during this season with Rogelio’s new show is hilarious. 😂

I don’t think I could do telenovelas because they’re so dang long! I’ve never even tried Korean family dramas because the episode count scares me. The longest K-drama I’ve finished was Gaksital.

Yes, this new season has been really funny! There have also been many touching moments that I've finally cried at an American tv show.
I haven't watched a weekend drama either or hadn't because I'm watching My Husband Oh Jak Doo at the moment. Beanies sold it to me and since its only 24 episodes instead of 50, I was like if I don't live watch I will probably never watch a weekend drama ever. Lol, I basically convinced myself to watch one.😂

@pbnjelly513 LOL! I tried Oh Jak-doo but sadly couldn’t get into it. I have a couple of weekend dramas on my to-watch list (Ojakgyo Brothers, mostly for Joo Won and UEE, and Father is Strange) but every time I think of starting them I realize I could watch 3 16-20 ep dramas in the same amount of time...

you know that subway discussion was such beautifully done scene with no words from her side but her wide eyes affirmed that she was surely missing a right guidance in her life all this while...
The way she is living her life like one strong girl, shouldering all her issues without giving in.. she he must have had no idea what it feels like to have someone to teach or to guide... and thats exactly what's her expressions in that scene.

I was not at all expecting any romantic relationship between 2 till the very last moment of next week's preview..still i am not 100% sure it will be there. i only want these 2 to be happy if they find that happiness being lovers or friends or sunbae hoobae or even oppa yeo-dongsaeng i'd more than happy for them....
whatever direction their relationship takes they should be each other's strength to support during hardships and to have some smiling moments together.

Congrats on finishing a book! My best friend reads at least 3 books a week and I envy her. I'm lucky if I manage one a month.

and i manage if i finish a book in my lifetime... i just cant read books and i stop after half done....

Aw, that’s too bad. If someone told me I had to choose between only watching TV shows and only reading books, I would pick books without question, haha.

similar. I'm a bibliophile.
It is my great joy in life to collect and stare at my vast collection of books. Having a small library like the one in Chicago Typewriter is my ultimate bibliophile dream. Haha

@mindy @mrsdimple
Perhaps you two already know one of my favorite new words of 2018:tsundoku? From http://www.openculture.com/2014/07/tsundoku-should-enter-the-english-language.html:

It means buying books and letting them pile up unread.

The word dates back to the very beginning of modern Japan, the Meiji era (1868-1912) and has its origins in a pun. Tsundoku, which literally means reading pile, is written in Japanese as 積ん読. Tsunde oku means to let something pile up and is written 積んでおく. Some wag around the turn of the century swapped out that oku (おく) in tsunde oku for doku (読) – meaning to read. Then since tsunde doku is hard to say, the word got mushed together to form tsundoku.

@tsutsuloo Oh, I fully support the adoption of that word. That’s brilliant, I finally have a word for one of my biggest self-inflicted problems in life.

@tsutsuloo when i first read it the word that came to my mind was tsundere. A term used to describe a man who's good at being sweet and mean at the same time. Haha.
Tsundoku, and the graphic image provided describes my book collection perfectly..
Greetings, fellow tsundoku😀

I think even if Dong Hoon and Ji An developed some kind of romantic relationship DH would still be a father figure to her, obviously he’s more experienced since he’s older.

I don’t know what the writer is planning with their relationship but I’d be probably most content if their relationship wasn’t defined till the end. Just leave the viewers with ambiguity so everybody can form their own opinion.

sorry chinguya... i am not looking forward for an open ending (my heart has been hurt a lot by that in TKIL and ML) and i'd not be able to survive another open ending...
*pray to drama gods...*

What are those two shows you mentioned? Sorry, I’m not good with abbreviations 😀

Well, to me an open ending would be still better than seeing theee brothers adopting JA as their little sister because that would make me mad.

TKIL The King in love
ML - Moon Lovers scarlet heart ryeo.

oh yeah that would be completely unacceptable ending for me... but I really doubt story is going that way still not sure abt anything... so just fingers crossed...

I agree with you regarding the potential for romance in My Ajusshi. I'd be perfectly happy for Dong-hoon to just become a sort of surrogate father figure to Ji-an.

Platonic relationships can be deep and meaningful, too, dramaworld!

I was or still am a fan of Jane the virgin before I started watching kdramas. I want to go back and pick it up but for the life of me, I can't remember which season I stopped and I have no time to start watching it from beginning. Which season are you now or what part of the story?

I didn't watch the finale of the first season since I immersed deep into k-dramas. Is it still fun?

I really can't say as I stopped watching few years back....

I’m up-to-date with the show, season 4’s finale airs next week! The show is still great. I was a bit apprehensive about this season and how they would deal with the events of season 3 but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. This show is great at getting me on board with plot events that I thought I wouldn’t like, especially in this season. These last few episodes especially have had lots of heart (as expected of the show). I hear season 5 may be the last.

I think I stopped when Rafeal's wife got pregnant behind his back....How far am I? and if you can please recall which season. It will save me time than rewatching from season 1

@feenah9895 I believe that was in the season 1 finale! So you should be good to start season 2. They do the recap at the beginning anyway if you have trouble remembering plot points. 😊

Thanks...will start season 2 then.

I don't know if you can remember but in one of the episodes, a scene with Jane standing out a hotel door, then a song by Emily, titled volcanoes started playing, do you by any chance like the song? I know this is out of the blue but I am looking for someone who likes the song aside from me....

@feenah9895 I just looked it up and oh, I really like it! And now I remember it playing in the show. I like a lot of the songs used in JTV. “Una flor” by Juanes was used a lot in season 1 and it made me love that song even more than I already did!

Will look for it and listen to it... thanks for liking volcano

*claps hands and does a happy dance* Ahh, so glad you finished a book! Books are precious things, it always makes me sad when I realize I haven't read one in a while..

I hope you're not in the minority for My Ahjusshi. I too just want them to be very good friends, and he can be like her uncle/dad.. That would be simply wonderful.

Re: My Ajusshi
While I'm stil on "don't really mind if they become romanticaly involved with each other", the last 2 eps made me realized that I would love it more if they just become platonic friends instead. They have a really unique and hard-to-define relationship right now, and I kinda like the idea of them and also us not being able to easily categorize it till the end of the series.

That’s exactly what I think! And I think the show has been saying the same sort of thing. Not all relationships are clear-cut, especially when you’re as down and “broken” as these two.

"I don’t know if I’m in the minority here, but I’ve decided that I don’t want a romantic relationship to develop between Ji-an and Dong-hoon."
I am so with you on this one. From the beginning I have not been for anything romantic. It doesn't make sense.
She needs a support system, a guide, a mentor, someone she can trust and relate to. She needs a family.
And i see DH and his family is what she needs.
She needs time to grow up (make up for the time lost during the crucial stage of life - becoming an adult) and learn how to form relationships. DH as a romantic interest means her growth will be limited.

I only watch My Husband Mr. Oh this week.
I don't need any other drama. Who need to watch 20-30 drama in a year? I don't think it's a slump, it's being realistic with my time and energy. I'm gonna save them for Life and Mr. Sunshine in July. But I won't resist If I could get another heartwarming suprise like My Husband Mr. Oh.

Kmovie
I watched Steel Rain and The King's Case Note. Both in Joseon and modern era, the villain are always from the North.

I’m sooo pumped for Life, I really hope the writer won’t disappoint us after her previous masterpiece drama. I’m curious how much different Jo Seung Woo’s character will be compared to his Hwang Shi Mok. It’s probably an unpopular opinion but Lee Dong Wook’s acting just doesn’t work for me.

You are not the only one, since the first time the casts we're announced I don't understand why Lee Dong wook was in it. The other day I discussed it with my friend and she said the company need to cast Hallyu star to sell it overseas.

Me too. LDW is not bad, but I always find his acting's kinda boring :(

Count me in for LDW kind of acting.He is a good actor and that shows in Goblin, but he is too feminine looking for my taste.I kinda like a rugged guy like Kim Rae Won, Ji Sung, So Ji Sub etc. They , no doubt embodies the manliness leading men should have.

"They , no doubt embodies the manliness leading men should have": Are you serious?!!!

I hope my comment here isn't out of line (being a DB newbie, I'm not familiar w the site's mores), but really, ARE you being serious?

"the MANLINESS leading men SHOULD have"?????

Are we in the 1950s? This sense of "manliness" would fit right in to film noir in the US or France.

Many kdramas seem pretty backward re gender, sex, sexual orientation, and the like, except for their appreciation of the "feminine" in men's beauty--e.g., flower boys. Even though I don't speak Korean, I think I could watch every episode of Hwarang and love it. Those leading men are HOT.

And how is Ji Sung more "manly" than LDW? Am watching Kill Me, Heal Me right now, and Ji Sung's most powerful & fetching personality (Cha Do-Hyun) is very "feminine."

BTW in KMHM, Ri Jin tells Cha Do-Hyun that if he can put all the pieces of his fragmented personality back together (i.e., rather than killing them off), he will be healed/a better man. Some of his alter egos are actually female, so Ri Jin is suggesting that a whole person comprises both female & man.

Now that type of manliness I can really get behind!

it's not a popular opinion but he is not good at acting so idk why it's unpopular lol. but i trust this will be good simply for the writer i mean stranger is just (chef's kiss) i just finished my rewatch

So life will have Jo Seung Woo in it? Oh I'm so in! I mean he was such a gem in Forest of Secrets.

Is it just me, or why are there a lot of cute ajusshis around this period of time of the year? Why do I see cute ajusshis everywhere? Why oh why? hahahaha

*shy emoticon*

After about 3 months of not watching any Kdramas , I finally watched something yay , I'm watching A Poem A Day and I'm enjoying it to bits , it's been so long since I was so excited about a show , I just hope that minho's character develops more into a mature guy and I hope that bo young will help him do that , I love Bo Young so much and how she always does her best at her job . Dr Ye though is kinda annoying with all these pieces of advice he keeps giving people I hope he stops, it's hilarious sometimes but it's still annoying
Fingers crossed to see how our minhoyoung is gonna sail!!!

"Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food" - I'm on e2 and I'm enjoying the calm atmosphere of this drama. It finds beauty in the ordinary. I love our main couple and how oblivious they both are. I'm anxious about the tropes I hate (esp. love triangles, hate when women fighting over men...) but so far it's really good.

*hate when women fight, tf happened here????
+ I was afd (away from dramas/dramabeans) because of the drought and apparently I've been missing out on! A poem a day sounds pretty great.

Definitely Pretty Noona heads the current offerings now for me.

The subtle nuances get me hooked on this, and yes it's kinda slow slice of life ordinary. But yet so credibly and fluidly done that it's all believable, (even with some romance scenes in other dramas, we so have to park all grey matter as we enjoy the moment. this one doesn't do it).

Ep 4 opening - continuation from Ep 3 was my favorite so far, and Jung-hae in's JH ... dude is so quick on the uptake without skipping a beat. Very nicely done, and so enjoyable that scene

Love the directing here.Love the vibe.
IF Jung Hae-in was enjoyable in WUWS ... in this role, he's totally nailing it and holding his own even against veteran SYJ.

Got Haein-ed, too. He got me swooning so bad in WYWS and now that he's fully turned on the charm, I'm just... sold. Totally buying his noona romance.

Pretty Noona: Wow... I've never felt so "third wheel-ed" in my life. Yep, definitely third wheeling my way on the show.

A Poem A Day: Weekly dose of fluff, poetry and Dr. Ye's advice. Heya, Poemies! Are you ready for Monday to come? Because I am so ready to watch that ~neomu kyeopta~ scene like ughhh yesss smile more, Dr. Ye.

Let's Hold Hands Tightly and Watch The Sunset: , says the Doctor to the female lead (sigh, if only). SLS game is so strong on this one. Ugh. Let them be together, show.

The Great Seducer: I'll come back to you when you're finished. Not even WDH can make me live-watch this.

For the great seducer, that is what I said too...

Sigh. It could have been better. Could have been /sigh

Agree about Hold Me Tight. Second male lead has more chemistry with the female lead, and the female lead definitely show attraction on him. So this is one of those rare circumstance i fall for alternative romance. YSH is just has chemistry with no one except his child in this drama lol

Awww last week's episodes with the father-daughter interaction was touching <3

But yes, we need our doctor-patient ship to sail! Just watching them together makes me feel so good ;A; We need some real development this week!

Pretty Noona is so... normal, I feel almost voyeuristic watching it. the camera rarely switches perspective and the takes are really long. I'm not surprised others find it boring but I like stalking these beautiful people all over Seul lol

Pretty Noona keeps reminding me of the really good parts of past relationships. It's like the writer just stacked up all the best and funniest bits of the people they've dated and wrote them into the show. It's really a show about not just falling in love but BEING in love, as these two clearly are in a very short time. But it's realistic! No "30 year olds blushing at a kiss on the cheek" stuff here - this is what people actually do when they date, and better yet it's a damn healthy relationship! They're a good match, a good balance, they both respond well to being teased and they clearly adore each other!

This might be an acquired taste, or maybe it works best if you have a lot of dating experience to boost the remembered emotion, but I think it's be best-acted, -directed and -written thing I've seen in over a year.

That screencap is all kinds of adorable.

I stopped watching Waikiki after week 1 but if I would ever go back it would be for that cutie.

I actually started watching from the 10th episode and I loved that second half of the drama but based on the recaps I do not feel the need to watch the first half. So maybe do not start again from the beginning

My obsession: PRETTY NOONA, but although I really do like it, I’m more on a rampage to get NETFLIX content in the US at the same time as the rest of the world...more to come.

My DB obsession: POEM, because I wouldn’t like it as much without all the witty banter-fire between the Ye-liner and the MinHoBo (I don’t even know the other ships’ official title?) ships. And yes, I’m just here reading the fan walls and giggling incessantly. And making gifs, because what is DB without gifs? Well, really insightful comments about cultural norms and drama-making, and oppa fangirling, and a host of other diversions.

My Most Anticipated: SWITCH, because there’s smart and there’s funny, but hardly ever both, and this show has it. And none of the minions are watching it!!! WAEEE?

My I should watch this because it’s really amazing but just don’t have the time: LIVE. Hopefully this weekend I’ll catch up, because my ship might be sailing there, but it’s really not a romance—-at all.

Have a great week whatching everyone!

I think is your post on switch that made me watch it....

Do you like it?

Yes, I did a lot...sa do chan is so smart....

Is there a discussion for Switch here? It's the only drama I'm watching right now and I'm enjoying it..

@gijoona, no, there’s not, but you could always make one! Also, the bah-doo blog is doing live-watch recaps on Switch and I’ve been hanging out there too. You can always comment there.

Live episode 9 & 10 are out now!

I am so glad to have tried out Live!

Finished all 10 episodes in the last few days and what a great ensemble piece. The ‘realness’ and the acting of both the veteran and younger generations, plus NHK’s solid script, are what makes this a standout.

As a drama about police as a profession, I appreciate they portray each character as a real person with their background story merging into the main flow in a non-intrusive way apart from the main characters getting the heavier doses. And each character (10+) gets to shine in his/her own way, and grows on the audience in understanding why the way they are. Another memorable piece from Writer Noh!

Won’t be a surprise if Bae Woo-Sung winning a few awards down the track. Only saw him in supporting roles in movies but this drama showcases his range and depth in this man child character. All adjusshis are doing an admirable job but it’s the three female characters that really draw me in - from the clam and cool Captain An, to the two rookies - the smart-crack no non-sense JO (whose past is coming to the fore now) and the everything-on-her-face HR (who really annoyed me at the beginning but what a representative of the millennials). This is one rare drama that females characters getting the right treatment.

But then I don’t really care about romance lines or not (though the charisma of Shin Don-Wook is hard to ignore) because there are so many things to enjoy from the crew.

Every gif is appreciated , @ally-le.

Me, me... i am in the Ye-line!!!!!
And, it is not that I don't like min ho, but... I am totally Ye with his discretion, professionalism and, if course: "may I give you an advice?"!!!!! LOL!!!!😂😂😂