You Who Forgot Poetry: Episodes 1-8

I started this show partly on a whim, and my interest in young actors Jang Dong-yoon and Shin Jae-ha persuaded me to try it out even though I wasn’t sure if there was really any other draw.

I’ve been giving Lee Yu-bi the side-eye since the shambles that was Scholar Who Walks the Night, and watching the first couple of episodes of Poetry, I wanted to drop it SO many times, because! Seriously! Not one good thing happens to her!

But then something changed. Lee Yu-bi’s character and our protagonist, WOO BO-YOUNG, starts pushing back and asserting herself, and there’s something so charming about her that you can’t help falling in love, even while you’re simultaneously crying in embarrassment.

EPISODES 1-8 WEECAP

Once a poetry-loving liberal arts student, Bo-young became a physiotherapist instead for the sake of reliable employment since she has to support her mom. She’s a hard-working contract-employee at Shinsun Hospital, and wants nothing more than to be taken on as a full-timer. That means she’s got the worst of both worlds, because her seniors are always taking advantage of her, while her juniors look down on her.

It gets worse when two of her college hoobaes, SHIN MIN-HO (Jang Dong-yoon) and KIM NAM-WOO (Shin Jae-ha) arrive in her department as trainees. Min-ho turns out to be the guy she liked back then, and she’d wooed him with poetry, only to be unkindly rejected.

Things finally look up when she gets a patients’ choice award for most friendly staff member, but it’s quickly and cruelly taken away since it’s only for full-timers. To compound her misery and humiliation, her history with Min-ho also comes out and everything is terrible. But she finds solace and strength in poetry and decides to give it all another shot.

Her new start coincides with a new addition to their department in the form of hotshot Dr. YE JAE-WOOK (Lee Joon-hyuk), who used to work at a prestigious university hospital. We learn that he left after testifying against a colleague for medical malpractice, but what really drove him away was discovering that his girlfriend and love of his life was cheating on him—with that same doctor. (I’m not sure if there was a revenge angle there, or if it was coincidence.)

Jae-wook seems rigid and cheerless at first, but he set shippers’ hearts on fire by noticing how hard, how much, and how well Bo-young worked, and also how others took advantage of her. He has a habit of prefacing nearly everything he says with, “Shall I give you some advice?” but his advice to Bo-young is always something warming and encouraging, so how can you blame her (and three-quarters of the fandom) for falling for him?

Elsewhere, in the radiology department, HAN JOO-YONG (Park Sun-ho) has been assigned to work with department outcast, KIM DAE-BANG (Defconn), who suffers from pathological indecision which drives everyone bananas, including Joo-yong.

Joo-yong is no less an outcast, an entertainment junkie who watches waaay too much TV when he’s meant to be studying, and the men slowly become closer thanks to their mutual pity of each other. (There’s also a fistfight over who is the bigger loser, lol, and suffice it to say that it was a fight with no winners.)

When impoverished Nam-woo is left homeless, Jae-wook pulls some strings and gets both trainees housed in hospital accommodation. That turns out to be together with Joo-yong—who was also their former college-mate and deeply ashamed of the fact. But for all that, don’t they seem to suit each other perfectly? Ha. They all kind of deserve each other, and I actually mean that in a nice way. I think.

Back in the physiotherapy department, after working alongside Bo-young for a while, Min-ho not only comes to respect her, but also… like her (very much against his will). Except he immediately turns petty when he realizes she likes Jae-wook and does everything he can to make her look bad in front of him.

Thanks to Min-ho’s provocations, us Ye-liners are crying this week because Jae-wook’s rigid facade seems to be cracking, and he’s been doing aaaalll sorts of things that are out of character for him, both in defending Bo-young and in seeking out her company.

It pushes Min-ho to finally admit to the boys (and himself) that he likes her, though he has yet to repent being such an ass.

COMMENTS

What’s great about all these characters is that they’re various combinations of petty, vain, silly, and at times, downright cruel, but the moment you begin to hate them, they reveal a vulnerable human side, a too-soft underbelly, that stops you from writing them off even if you haven’t quite entirely forgiven them.

This is true of Min-ho, who’s taken particular delight in torturing Bo-young whenever possible, yet there is something deeper going on beneath that frivolous surface, he just rarely lets himself go there. The second son in a family full of high-achieving doctors, he’s practically invisible to them, and though he’s rich, he’s starved of affection.

It’s also frequently true of Bo-young’s immediate seniors, Dr. KIM YOON-JOO (Lee Chae-young) and Dr. PARK SHI-WON (Kim Jae-beom), and especially so this week: Divorcee Yoon-joo struggles after coming face-to-face with her ex-husband for the first time since they split, and we learn she left him because she found out she couldn’t have children, though she never told him that.

Shi-won struggles with providing for his family. He does whatever he must to ensure his own survival and refuses to apologize for it, though I think he secretly hates himself a little. They’re complicated characters who are often unlikable and even unpleasant, but they remain sympathetic and emotionally accessible, and that’s what tugs the heart.

What did you guys make of this week’s developments? I’ve been firmly Ye-line since Jae-wook turned up, but I feel like the ending this week was kind of ominous. The show’s at its midpoint so the worm is definitely about to turn… but which way?

Tags: , , , ,

Hurray!!! Thank you for this OT and your thoughts, @saya!

Thank you @saya for answering our call for the OT and the DB Overlords for granting our plea!

Also just so thrilled that now I can β€œfavorite” this show, which is situated, cough cough, under now my favorited hero.

Before @saya so graciously took on the wee-cap, there was a first fan meeting of the Forgotten Poet Society to discuss episode 5 and 6:

Sorry to hijack your thread, @bammsie!
Several Poemies have expressed anxiety of losing this discussion into the ether so I though I would post the link here. Thank you!

πŸ˜‚ Why would I mind that at all? Thanks for helping the Poemies!

Thank you, @saya, this made Thursday the best day of this week. All on board!

The Ye-cap is here!

Ye it isssss woop woop

YE-LINE ALL THE WAY
Unless Min-ho grows up and proves himself to be worthy for Bo-young's affections (he definitely will have a lot of groveling to do), but for now her feelings are towards Dr. Ye which I don't see turning anytime soon.

Lol, at the "Unless." You sound like you'll be joining us on the island of the neutrality eventually--or on the opposite ship???

Haha I will stay on the Ye-line ship for now but have a foot on the island of neutrality so I won't drown if the ship sinks :') I will be happy with either guy honestly if it's rational hahahaha
Being on the island of neutrality really helped for Reply 1988

HAHA, I tried keeping one foot on the island and just fell into the sea. I do have an inflatable alligator that also dances kpop in case the Ye Liner goes down. 🐊

But seriously, I am also fine as long as the ending is rational and Bo Young is happy.

Hahhh... I once said the same thing to a beanie, with one foot on each ship, you are bound to fall into the sea... Lols...

Haha, Reply 1988! You need to read @kimbapnoona’s wall! http://www.dramabeans.com/members/kimbapnoona/activity/431920/

IDK, Min Ho has been getting the romantic lead edit in the last few episodes. Not only do I ship Dr. Ye, but I actively un-ship Min Ho. That guy has too many problems to do the romantic lead 180. It just wouldn't be believable. He's so unbearably petty. I don't think there's groveling in the world that would make me like him.

I swear, if he ends up being the lead, I will immediately drop the show. Jerkface romantic leads are so five years ago.

LOL, the five years ago thing is so accurate and funny .

Just dropping in here (before going back to read the recap) to say thank you so much for this Saya!!! Keep up the good work!! You'll be rewarded by smiles and cotton candy from all the Ye Liners. πŸ₯πŸ₯πŸ₯

I've been craving cotton candy since that cute scene. It's a pity there is no cute-shaped cotton candy (much less cherry blossoms) around here.

If no cotton candy, I bet you can find with relative ease some paper towel, feather duster or even gauze nearby?

If those take Bo-young into Dr. Ye fantasy land, I say they are good enough for me!

@gadis I've never seen the cute duck cotton candy before either. I was like WOAH 😲 whole new world out there!

@fencejumper @Andy Too pretty to tear apart and eat!!!

@growingbeautifully Yes! When Dr.Ye tore some off to eat I was like NOOOO cause the duck was so adorable.

But then how he tore a huge piece and ate it with such beautiful smile sharing that moment with Bo-young under the cherry tree, I felt that yes, πŸ₯, you have done good. *chirp chirp*

I loved how they showed that scene of them walking forward and talking without letting us listen in. I was all like hehehe πŸ˜‰ why is she laughing.

@fencejumper feeling like a third wheel, right?

@feenah9895 Definitely a third wheeler. The whole time I could only let my imagination run wild *wink wink*. Hurts to be outside the fun.

A quick kudo to the Director or DP or whoever framed the lunch walk scene which had that huge cherry tree fill the screen with Dr. Ye and Bo-young on the bottom right. A few seconds of air time but just beautiful!

I love that Bo-young is framed in the foreground looking at the cherry blossom petals falling around her while Dr. Ye standing under the tree and the coming forward with a smile to be next to her.....so breathtakingly beautiful how they come together....

Saya didn't forget Poetry!

*dodges spoilers on the way to watching ep8*

hehe! I really love how the poetry is incorporated. Also, it's given me a new interest in learning more about Korean poetry in general - it has a lovely cadence and a spare, elegant form which is difficult to achieve, say, in the English language. As a language-lover, those parts are really appealing to me, even though I'm not much of a poetry-reader (at least not in English).

It is absolutely wonderful how Writer-nim uses these beautifully chosen poems to propel, accentuate, and summarize the interweaving stories in the show. Brilliantly done!

Thank you so much for doing this, @saya. The fan wall is a great place and I love it dearly, but nothing beats the more structured discussion of a recap/open thread. Plus, you recappers often provide much more insight and perspective than I could ever get by myself. I'm sure I'll be coming back to these threads in the future to reminisce, as I do with all of my favorite show's recaps. Thank you for providing this space for us.

The way Dr. Ye looks at Bo-young in that last screencap heals my soul.

MY HEART. They're so perfect together.

And unlike min ho, dr. Ye loves poetry. Sooooo dashing perfect!! πŸ˜πŸŽ‰πŸŽˆβ™₯

Judging by the response to a head tilt, if the Ye ever holds Bo-Young's hand the Ye Line ship might burst into flames.

I can imagine the uproar on the beanie wall. And gifs on loop!

OMG what would happen to us Liners when they kiss tilting heads and all? 😱😱😱

@kimbapnoona I'm smiling like a crazy person just thinking it! Stop putting premature ideas in my head when they haven't even held hands yet!!! 😭

DON'T MY HEART.

Please.

Hold on to our slings, @mindy! Who knows what kind Se-hee like advice Dr. Ye will give in his kissing lessons?

I am a terrible person, I know.

@kimbapnoona If these two don’t end up being the OTP I will never forgive you for putting these thoughts in my head when we potentially will never see it ever happen.

Mwahahahahaha *evil maniacal laughs*

Wait, why are there so many upvotes for @mindy's unforgiveness? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

That look heals my soul, but that tilt of the head does weird things to my heart.

Not only you unni....

Same. I'm so weak for this kind of body language. Ugh. Be still, my heart.

I look at it and my heart beats like crazy.....be still my crazy heart...❀

I love this show. I’ve watched each episode four times so I could write a dissertation on them at this point!! :)

I havn't found myself re-watching an episode immediately on the following day for god knows how long!

I wish I could do the same, but real life takes over, and also there are other two shows who are killing me.
No time, no time.... πŸ˜–

Shin Min-ho, I'm sorry for saying this, but thank you for all your sabotaging attempts this week. You have kindly helped us push our ship onto the sea by showing Bo-young's endless charm to a really appreciative Dr. Ye. Hopefully this will be a much-needed kick in the rear for you to grow up and court her properly. Because a lopsided shipping war is no fun. 😜

Kidding aside, I really love how Dr. Ye started to come out of his shell. Whenever he did nice things to Bo-young, or made some excuses to act uponΒ  his interest to her, or rained us with those sweet half-smiles, or did something unusual like being playful or petty, I couldn't help but grinning widely. But what makes it even better is how self-aware he is. He knew that he is quite out-of-touch with his own emotion, and he totally acknowledged it (and even gave some sound advices to himself, LOL) when he was being petty and revenge-y. And I think, him being aware is already a positive step toward him expressing more of his feelings and building a connection with others.

I really appreciated the focus of this week eps on Yoon-joo and Bo-young's relationship. Rather than close friends, I see them as sisters. They can hurt each other and being petty about it, but they still care so much for the other. It's easy for them to turn from teasing to blowing up at each other, but they are just as quick to make up, and still as close as ever. And I'm glad that compassionate and empathetic Bo-young is there if Yoon-joo wanted to talk about her painful divorce. And likewise, unni is also there for Bo-young if she ever need an awesome wingman to support her through her confusing love story.

Dr. Ye's is not only self-aware of his own shortcoming, but he is also very much in tune with his growing feelings for Bo-young. Oh his smiles when he sees the kid holding that cotton candy in the PT room says it all! I also really appreciate that when he sees the USB in his car, he seized the opportunity to spend more time with her....swoon....

Much as I love the central romance pulling a race between the ships, I love the focus on the side characters even more. Dr. Kim opened up about how much pain she was in (indirectly, cause Bo Young overheard) but she was still so emotionally strong in front of the girls. I was so happy they resolved the fight fairly quickly instead of dragging it on for the sake of being petty but then BAM we're hit with Dr.Kim's revelations. The noraebang part was amazing, I wish we had those here so jam like there's no tomorrow and tune out sorrows.

I agree. For me to love a show totally, I have to love all (or at least 90%) of all secondary characters. That happened with FWKBJ, and it happened with IHYV, and it happened recently with Mother, Prison Playbook and JBL. That is why they are my fav dramas of all times.
Here there is a similar effect. APAD has a very nice ensemble of characters who grow slowly but strong into your heart.
The radiologist are super fun, but sometimes super touching, like in the episode about family.
The chief in the physiotherapy department is silly, lazy and petty sometimes, but he is also loyal, friendly and never abuse others; actually, he helps once he is well informed about matters.
The two intern girls don't obey Bo young, and they are also lazy and they like gossip, but they are cool, easy going. They won't hurt anybody intentionally.
And last but not least, I adore poor Nam-woo and his alligator, which is the only left over reminder and symbol of his wealth from the past.
Even Min ho is usually funny and not really a bad kid at all. He is just immature to the fullest.
I love this drama.
I love how sometimes they focus on little stories about the patients. The public proposal after the flash mob brought tears to my eyes.
This show is simply lovely, just like our cry baby Bo young! 😍

Agreed with everything you said. I especially like how they incorporate the patients' stories into the plot. Not through a continuous life-and-death situations like in many other medical dramas, but through small lessons they shared from their own life. Whether to share your life with people you love, to be kind, or to not judge others too easily before you see the real them. It's all kind of lovely.

I hope it continues to be this charm throughout the whole serie, regardless of ratings. And I also hope it will surprise us with the love triangle.
Ye line long live!!!! β™₯😍

@gadis, I love these patients' stories too. I am continually surprised on how Writer-nim needs just a few minutes of screen time to tell these stories and how much of an emotional impact it has on me....the halmeoni in the mountain...paraplegic couple.....

May I also say that how happy I am that this drama is almost without hospital politics?

@kimbapnoona I have a feeling they will tackled hospital politics since they're leading up to it eg. Dr Ye offered a Chief position but instead of it being portrayed as a hunger driven power ploy I think it will be heartwarming with Dr.Ye opening up to the current Chief and Dr. Park- possibly saving the team's jobs too (hopefully Bo Young's promotion 🀞).

YAY, SAYA! Thank you so much for this wee-cap! I've been anxiously awaiting it. What drew me into this drama was the fact that it focussed on the ancillary staff of the hospital, which in my experience seems to be where most of the drama lies. I also loved the poetry angle and knew it would serve as an insightful outlet for our cast show their softer sides. I almost totally wrote off this drama in the second episode though, because all the side characters and even Min-ho were rubbing me the wrong way and I was becoming more than irked with their charades, literally. But it was Dr. Ye who came to the rescue, and I was suddenly "on board" again. That, and very well-timed poetry. The way that the poems are incorporated, written out in the scene, is very beautiful. My favorites were the ones in episode 4 (I believe when they were helping in the rural town, at the end of the episode) and then the one at the end of episode 8 which just aired.

Although I was once on the Ye-liner, I'm getting just menor-vibes from him, or an older uncle with a niece, trying to make her feel better about herself. Which is why I'm sitting on the island of neutrality. Min-ho has the most growing to do, and I do like that type of character too, but he's just too immature for me to want to see him with Bo-young, who is so sweet and very competent at her job. He is a horrible intern/student, but maybe something will click and he'll become a hard-working genius or something to show Bo-young he's worthy of her, because I'm too protective of her right now. His back story with him being the forgotten child (even on his birthday!) was unfortunate enough, and I did feel sorry for him that episode. Oh, and quirky is what this show is. When I let myself give in to the quirkiness, it became much more enjoyable.

Thank you again, Saya!

The ep 4 poem was perfect. It really hit me because they took scenes from varying points in time eg. the halmoni pulling the cart, and the old man alone in the house, Nam Woo's poverty. Everything was synced perfectly and the words had so much more impact.

How wonderful that a writer has not only worked poetry into a drama but has worked with the poems as if they were co-writers!

As a poet, I think the piece you mention is the best poem in the drama so far--deep and rich and asking to be read again. And amazingly it isn't overshadowed by the visuals. Often when poems are paired with photographs, paintings, and the like, the words seem to take second place; the visual art is usually representational and two-dimensional. It's often patronizing and shallow, dumbing down the poetry. But this is not that at all.

Your comment is on the spot - exactly why I'm currently an islander

I also felt bad for Min ho seeing how he is neglected by his family. But just pity enough doesn't help to like a character. He has otherwise not shown at all that he is even a good person, except when he realised his pettiness in ep. 2 and regretted he didn't cut the apples pretty, for that patient who died.
Min ho has done nothing for Bo young in 8 episodes. Would it be fair he keeps her in another 8 episodes???
Not sure about that. I would rather see her alone waiting for a better prince to come. She is young, competent and friendly. She will be ok.

I've said this elsewhere, but just like you, my real ship is Bo-young. I adore her and want her to be happy and whoever her love interest is, he'd just better respect her and treat her well. That's why I shipped Jae-wook from the moment he started to notice her. It's not about him, it's about her.

Also as others have said, if Min-ho is endgame, he has a LOT of growing (and repenting) to do. He's not actually a terrible human being, but he's terrible to Bo-young, and there's nothing excusable about it.

Hi @allly. Your comment,
" I almost totally wrote off this drama in the second episode though, because all the side characters and even Min-ho were rubbing me the wrong way and I was becoming more than irked with their charades, literally. But it was Dr. Ye who came to the rescue, and I was suddenly "on board" again."
pretty much expresses my feelings for A POEM A DAY through episode 4. I thought episodes 5 and 6 were much better. After episode 8 I thought we were almost back to episode 1 as far as finding most of the characters being unattractive, Min-ho, Dr. Park I am looking at you. Matter of fact at one point when there was talk about Dr. Ye becoming Chief and replacing staff I thought to myself, "good, get rid of the whole lot" with a couple of exceptions. 8 more episodes of this, please no. Anyway, maybe like Dr. Ye (LJH-the main reason I stated watching) I think I may be overreacting.
I am with you on the island of neutrality. Min-ho is going to have to go through some sort of catharsis and become human if he wants to stand a chance with Bo-young.
I love the poems. I loved the Shinsun Hospital flash mob.
(I wonder how long that took to rehearse). So not to end on a downer, here is a replay:

Episode four was the redemptive episode, finally. I still didn’t know if I would continue until that one. Min-Ho shows some thoughtfulness by the end and Dr. Ye’s dreamy smile were both enough to keep me going. Well, and the poems. The end poems always made me have amnesia about the rest of the show, no mater how annoyed I got.

Thanks for the recap @saya! Team Bo-young!

I'm on this team too. She's the cutest!

thank you so much for this @saya this makes my heart happy.

Well dang it all. It's like the universe wants me to watch this drama hahahaha the ship wars are legit though, probably a Ye-liner but that island sounds kinda friendly too. I'm afraid for my own emotional stability coming out of this. Here goes!

Ok I've been waiting for the show to end so I can happily binge this. But the ratings keep dropping every week, now I'm wondering if it's worth watching. Is there anyone currently watching this drama? Is it any good?

Personally, I love it. I haven't loved a show this much since I Am Not a Robot (which also had low ratings).

I just recently watched INAR and was so surprised about the low ratings! I really don't get why these heartfelt, cute stories are not connecting witht he korean audience

I don't get it either! IANAR was so good πŸ™‚

psst, just released INAR podcast! here: https://youtu.be/cQA9H_ZCxZQ

@saya listened to it over lunch! Thank you! <3

Hi @raonah and @natzillagorilla.Re: I AM NOT A ROBOT (2017/18). I thoroughly enjoyed INAR. This video contains quotes from an interview Yoo Seung-ho gave after INAR ended and his reactions to the low ratings. It is very interesting and shows what a mature and classy young man he is. He is still only 24. Incredible.

Back on OT#547 I wrote commenting on POEM:
"I am reminded of I AM NOT A ROBOT a drama I enjoyed. The way the leads were written in the early episodes were I think a turn off to a lot of people.
I remember reading after the series ended how shocked Yoo Seung-ho was over the initial low ratings which never really improved."

@marcusnyc20 thanks for the link! Yoo Seung Ho is so sweet. He dealt with the low ratings really well.

It's so damn good......You need to check it out....

Ratings don't necessarily mean anything most of the time you should give it a shot and then decide whether you like it or not

The 1s ep is really meh, but it gets better from there. Personally, I think it was the 3rd ep that finally caught my attention

When a show makes you feel so many emotions across the spectrum I think it's doing its job right. Thats what I felt with INAR. With this show I have laughed out loud at the gags done so naturally, related to the all-breaks-no-study approach, applauded the well deserved appreciation for our heroine, shook my fist at a boy with a mean streak, been moved to tears by characters' struggles and sacrifices, have wanted to be teleported to stroll among the cherry blossoms. I mean I am even invested in a boy and his alligator pair! So I say ignore the ratings and dive right in. And remember sink or swim there are alooot of us in this together.

It's National Poetry Month in the US, and there is poetry literally littering my building on campus. Bo-young would love it.

I'm usually more of a prose kind of person, but this show, Bo-young, and Dr. Ye are reeling me in with how seamlessly it is integrated into the narrative.

Well said - the integration of poetry and TV is so nicely done that I'm now wondering why this isn't a more common feature of TV.

The promise is made! I feel so contemplate since it feels us beanies and all minions are in same boat. We still and will stay here..waiting for our DB to kick more a*s soon, and this OT for dramas that couldn't make it to be recapped (time limited/els) for current (yes), is very win win! I hope another dramas will have this highway too!

Btw, I haven't watched this at all, but I know kimbapNoona & Saya & other's hardwork to put this together! Fighting !

Thank you for this @saya! Forgotten Poets Society now have a hub (aside from the Beanie's wall post, that is). Yeyyy!!!

I'm not expecting this OT coming. Thank you so much @saya. I still on neutral line till now. Although I like dr. Ye so much, I still have feeling for Minho. My drama slumps is cure thanks to this show.

Lee Yu-bi is phenomenal as Bo-young. That little snort when she feels happy, that little crinkle of the nose when she feels mischievous, and oh yes, that now infamous fanning of the hand. All of these little gestures make Crybaby Woo one of the most adorable heroines in Dramaland. I shed so many happy tears because of her empathetic tears, even when her hands are too heavy.

Woo Bo-young represents goodness in the world -Kind, generous, loyal, honest, full of heart. I want her to be my friend. If I have children, I want my daughter to be like her or my son to marry her. For once this impending love triangle makes so much sense for me because Dr. Ye got it right -our girl is an attractive person in anyone’s eyes. Forget oil tycoons, this ajumma has fallen in love with her at least 3 times per episode. I think that’s why this shipping war is so much fun with fellow Beanies, because we all share only one mission, and that is in the end our heroine is loved by someone who is worthy of her.

I like her completely too. I think so much that while walking or doing some stuffs, I end up smiling sheepishly thinking if her antics and so on....😊😊

That's how I feel about her too! I want to protect her, she's such a pure soul. How can she still be so openly loving after the hurt she went through? Everyone around her is lucky to have such a friend.

A thousand yeses to your last line!

Yay! Thanks for this OT saya! Like you I've been a Ye liner since day 1(or 2 when he actually showed up properly) but this last eps poem also gave me an ominous feeling-' if you love someone,you can't turn back because you love them"...I think this is applicable to both JW and BY. Though I want to keep faith that this is nothing and just my imagination in overdrive (Boyoung is really rubbing off on me), my brain seems to want to take the logical conclusion and accept that the other ship is more likely to happen. But till then I'll just enjoy the ride. If my brain is right and our ship is wrecked, Dr.ye can just give his advice to us! I would love it. Plus I also volunteer to help him with his sling therapy demonstrations LOL!

Would you operate the camera while he demonstrates all the latest techniques on me while I grin like a fool so it would totally look like a newlywed video?

I would rather lie on the bed while he hovers over me so that I can appreciate his tall height and his veins of unpolished beauty from up close hehe.

I am dying of jealousy right now just thinking how happy your eyes must be at that moment.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Dying reading all these comments

My brain is also trying to be logical. But my heart gets all giddy and giggly whenever Bo young and Dr. Ye are together. So my brain is focused on the future, but I'll choose to follow my heart for now which has their insanely adorable scenes on repeat!

Me too! My heart and brain are at loggerheads with each other. I just want to enjoy the show but I can't help worrying about the future.
And never thought I would find LJH adorable. ..esp after FOS. ..now its a totally different story.

Before he was Seo Dong-jae, he was earnest and universally beloved Prosecutor Kim!

...yes I did resist saying 'Ye-niversally beloved' πŸ˜‚

Why did ye resist? Any reason to use it hehe.
Yes I remember him from city hunter...I felt so sad with what happened to him...then he made a 180 degree turn in FOS...and now he has returned full circle to being ye-niversally beloved.

actually.. for this poem, what i got was that they didn't really love their "old" partners because they were able to turn back/stop it. And because they were able to stop it, this meant that what they had wasn't true love. So don't lose hope yet!! ^^ Let's support Ye Line until the end!! :D

That's a different way to interpret it, I suppose. But I took it at face value. That they pretended not to care about them, pretended to be strong..but at the end they couldn't turn their backs on them because they love them.
Of course I'll be on the Ye-line until the end. Happy that there's a new addition to our ship!

That's also possible. But I'll be holding on to my interpretation because it seems like Boyoung and Dr. Ye doesn't "love" their past partners the same way they did before (especially seen from episode 9). Or at least, they're only acknowledging their past partners (in Dr. Ye's case) or being platonic friends (in BY's case).

Long live Ye-line!! hehe :D

darnnnn ittttt I can't join a ship war right now with exams around the cornerrrrrr

The Isle of Neutrality is full of fun and snacks. They would welcome you. Or just jump on the Ye Line.

you made me laugh out loud hahaahhaahha. Isle of Neutrality it is until I find out which ship wins.

Pick a palm tree, grab some snacks and settle in on the Island! The battles are just getting started.

(Also, good luck with exams!)

We have cocktails too! But that probably would hinder your studying. Good luck with exams!

Who says? XD XD

(don't listen to me, study!!)

But if your major is literature or physical therapy, watching this drama counts as studying, right? πŸ˜‰

of course, you might get extra marks for watching...

I like how your mind works hahahahahah

Honestly this is the one drama I look forward to every week! Ye-Liner all the way. This week's eps were so dang cute I was squealing the whole way through! I mean I hope she does end up with Dr. Ye, but these types of dramas she is probs gonna end up with Minho but I hope I'm wrong. The summary made it seem very innocuous of a drama, but it's been a real diamond in the rough. I love Boyoung! Lee Yubi is the perfect actress to pull of this type of character and I personally love when she fans her eyes when she cries. Man, I'm nervous about next week's ep with her sudden confession? Although she does have a lot of delusions so who knows.

Thanks for the wee cap @saya πŸ™‚

I felt that too @saya. After this week's episode I am now wary of upcoming episodes. I really want to the Ye line to sail forever.....

Just watched the recent ep of My Ahjussi (those two kill me) and contemplating putting on the first ep of this. Good to know I might have to decide to stay in it a few eps before I get hooked.
I hate second hand embarrassment in shows and books but love good character growth and slow burns.

I'm not the only one who laughed at @saya 's line weecap right? πŸ˜‚:

Preach πŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ

@saya speaks the Ye-niversal truths. Min-ho has a boatload of repentance to do.

The Ye-niversal truths also indicate that a boatload of growing up and morphing from a boy child is also pending on his to-do list.

I love how everything can be replaced with a Ye. .....so sweet....

It's a sign from the Ye-niverse as @egads pointed out!

All Ye-cknowledge the power of the Ye-Line!

I'm not even watching this, but I was so excited when I saw the recap link on Twitter o(*οΎŸβ–½οΎŸ*)o Have fun discussing, Forgotten Poets Society Beanies!

*tosses over some cotton candy and snacks* You're gonna need it if sulking in the thesis cave... fighting!

*Tries to catch the gifts, drops everything but the cotton candy because poor hand-eye coordination* Thank you πŸ’™ Hopefully I'll be done by the end of next month!!

i kept logging in because of Forgotten Poets Society Beanies..

good luck on your thesis! Mine's almost done, I'm halfway excited I want this over and done yet dreading that coming final defense.

Yay, that's awesome! Luckily for me I don't have to do a defense, I can only imagine how nerve-wracking it must be. Good luck with yours too! It's the home stretch!

I can feel you. I did do a defense once and it was nerve wrecking. Try to be calm but I don't know how. Anyways, fighting!!!! you can do it...

wishing you trucks of good luck...

thanks!

Got notification of this post on twitter and it finally dragged me out of my DB hiatus, thank you @saya β™₯ This show is literally the only show that I watch to help me through my drama slump (well, this and Children of a Lesser God but I have to watch it raw which takes about 50% the fun) and I'm happy to know it gets its own post. And it's popular on fan wall too? Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 😍 *fans her teary-eyes* πŸ˜‚

Came for the three leads (and Shin Jae-ha is a pleasant surprise) and I wasn't disappointed at all. I thought Lee Yu-bi would be playing her cute self as usual but it's nice to see that Woo Bo-young is actually competent at her job. And I like that her nickname is Crying Bo-young because it also sound like "Uri Bo-young" so I love everytime people call her with that nickname. Also who would've thought that Seo Dong-jae could be so charming as Dr. Ye Jae-wook uuuuuuuuuuuuuu I fell so hard for him 😍😍😍

Anyway, count me in on Ye-line but I prepare myself to accept another result just in case, because Jang Dong-yoon looks sooo adorable here although I sometimes still hate Min-ho but I can't shake off this feeling that there's no way Bo-young will end up with Dr. Ye (I'm still on ep 6). I got my friend to watch this too and she's now on Min-ho team, I hope we're not gonna fight when the time comes hahahahaha...

Off topic but can anyone recommend me more dramas because Children of a Lesser God is ending this week and I need something to keep me from fall into drama slump again, preferably not melodramas. Fyi, I have Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food and Eulachacha Waikiki downloaded but still can't bring myself to watch them, maybe some of you can give me a reason to finally start watching them.

You can try a poem a day....

LOL you mean she can rewatch this week's episodes until the next ones come out?

Hahhhhh...sorry my love for this drama is blinding me....

PRETTY NOONA <3 <3 <3

I SECOND THIS! Pretty Noona will make you squee and sigh and giggle and grin like an idiot and sometime make you want to punch a character or two for the sake of humanity.

Please tell your friend she’s awesome! ^^

thats one beautiful weecap. So far seeing all posts on beanie wall i was thinking this drama to be all abt Ye Liners vs BoHos.. but this post made me think highly if this drama. how all characters has so much to show outside and much more to hide (within there cold facade).
I loveed lovedd this post and guess now ill try to give it another try (yeah i dropped it after 2 episodes just as you mentioned cause of BY getting all the embarrassment and bad treatment)...
thanks for such LOVELYYYYYY post chinguya...πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—β€οΈβ€οΈβ€οΈ

I feel like I like all the side characters more than our mains (except Bo Young sho is ADORABLE). I love watching the radiology department and the min ho re-enactments by Nam Woo and Joo Young

First of all: thank you soooooo much, @Saya, for this post.

Second: I am also a very proud Ye-liner, dreaming that if he has to be the second lead, it will be the second time I suffer from SLS (the first: Woo tak in while you were sleepingπŸ˜‰)
Third: it would be nice, again, if dr. Ye is a second lead (I don't see him like that, but I have to recognize he is a little bit of a mystery), that he for a change would end up getting the girl.... LOL!!
Fourth: I hope dr. Ye doesn't carry with him a somehow bad secret that makes me not like him, because even if they follow the formulaic pattern of the OTP (which has been totally ambiguous until now, half way through), at least dr. Ye would remain worthy until the end.
Fifth: I will keep on sharing the reason why this show is great in my next comments.
Thank you again for the OT!!! πŸŽ†πŸŽˆπŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‡

Hi @javinne. Since you mentioned WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING (2017). I keep thinking of Shin Jae-ha (Nam-woo) as Lee Jong-suk's little brother. Nam-woo (SJH) and Woo-tak (Jung Hae-in) worked together on WYWS. With the whole six degrees of separation thing I think one could connect A POEM A DAY to WYWS and PRETTY NOONA.

Totally! I think I have done that, and right now except for LJS taking a break, I am glad they are all working. I know the three young men are friends, by the way.

What I like about the loveline is that typically character like Shin Minho would be the first lead. Chaebol heir, a little bratty and tsundere. Ye Je wook type is usually the quiet charming 2nd lead.

At this point I don't care for the loveline. I just enjoy the interaction from both side. I do hope all 3 will have a happy ending. Maybe Lee Yoobi doppelganger can end up with Shin Minho.

Yes, I like that twist too. Usually, in shows where there's a "perfect" guy and an immature guy, the heroine falls for the petty one despite his pettiness.

But here, Our Bo-young moved on from Min-ho's brattiness and fell in love with Dr. Ye. I don't know if she'll love Ye until the end, but I trust her heart to (if she does) fall for Min-ho, fall for him when he "remembers poetry" again.

Yeah. Dr. Ye actually has second lead characteristic so much. I also like that BY actually can move on from first love unlike other dramas who 'first love always win'.lol

Catching up too this show last week because of beanies love for it in fan wall.

Me too, feel like Dr ye is the second lead. But i can't help cheering for him, especially since i've seen his smile when he was watch boyoung's shadow at the end of ep when they visit rural village.

I like Dr ye character since his first appearrance in this show, he is mature, a bit quirky (remind me of se hee BTLIOF), and have so many good attitude. What i like most is he treat bo young so good since early ep, and he akcnowledge bo young's work hard, and now he seems like adore bo young so much.

It's really nice to see that he smiles more in the last two ep :)

I had wanted to see Jang Dong Yoon after School 2017, and Lee Joon Hyuk after Along with the Gods. So I watched some clips of Poem from youtube to see if it could attract me but sadly I didn't feel it.. πŸ˜₯

Good luck JDY, see you in another project 😊

Here is ep. 8 most beautiful poem.

The point of no return
By Kim Chul Hyun

Leaving the person you loved
And turning around
as if you no longer love them
Hiding the pain in your heart
and turning around
as if it doesn't really hurt
Hiding your unwanted parting and turning around
as if it doesn't matter
Holding back your tears and turning around
as if your not weak
If you love that person, you can't turn back because you love them.

thank you!

Yay! Thanks for doing this Saya! I’m so happy to seethes Ye Cap 🀣

This weeks episodes we do Ye hyped that I know I am mostly on the Ye Line with maybe a toe on the waters in case something changes. I may be pulling for Ye, but I’m also on team Bo Young.

My favorite scenes this were were : Joo Young and Nam Woos re-enactment of Min Hos back hug, Lee Yu Bi cameo as herself in the club, the girls karaoke night and of course the cotton candy scene.

Also: every time Bo-young tries to eat ALL the fluffy things.

Oh yes! I forgot about Bo Young trying to eat everything and getting caught πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ splice second hand embarrassment.

So much* gotta love autocorrect!

LOL So much second hand embarrassment! So much! I was kind of hoping Dr.Ye also ends up gravitating toward fluffy things before realizing what he's doing and giving himself some advice to stop hallucinating! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Omg YES. Please give it to us dramagods. I need some Ye embarrassments and self advice. I laughed so hard when the cleaning lady gave HIM advice. πŸ˜‚

I'm really impressed with the ability of the writer to find similar fluffy things with cotton candy.lol

WOO BO-YOUNG goes through every possible embarrassment so we don't have to. But I cringe watching her anyways!! She's adorable though so it kind of makes it worse when it comes to second-hand embarrassment

Lol I was so wary of Seo Dong-jae playing Dr. Ye because I kept seeing his slime-ball face from Forest of Secrets. I half expected him to break out into his trademark shifty eyes and try to slip away from trouble. But omo! I became a Ye-liner instead!

Booyah!!! Saya!!!! Thank you!!!
❀️

Thank you for this OT, Saya!

Ep. 8
Dr. Ye to himself:
"Ye Jae Wook, can I give you some advice? Don't meddle. Are you trying to get revenge for doctor Woo? What you did to doctor Shin wasn't like you".
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Again, dr. Ye to himself in the mirror:
"Ye Jae Wook, can I give you some advice? Don't regret what's already happened. It's true that Shin Min ho was wrong. Can I give you one more advice???".....
Double LOL πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I almost dropped this show after two episodes but thankfully I watched ep 3 and got hooked. I have the warm fuzzies when Bo-Young and Jae-Wook are together. Bo-Young's reactions to Jae-Wook are hilarious. The library scene in Ep 7 when her bag strap dragged the chair along while she was trying to crawl away was a real laugh out loud moment. Bo-Young is klutzy and very funny, and the way Jae-Wook treats her is simply adorable. I am a definitely Ye-liner although that may end in tears!

When the chair moves and he catches her crawling away, and there's this beat where they just stare at each other... LOL Then he stands up and helps her un-hook the bag from the chair. And she just keeps crawling away as he watches.

I was laughing and cringing and squealing at that scene. They ARE SO CUTE.

Now that Go Waikiki is done, I have been looking for a show to counterbalance the heaviness of My Ajusshi. This sounds like it would be a good fit.

Thanks my dear πŸ’– Saya πŸ’–. This is a much desired recap/wee cap thread. I managed to marathon the 8 episodes in 2 days and while I agree that there's much to like and I've every intention of watching until the end, a few things bugged me since Ep 4.

This show is all out to be light, funny and fluffy, and it is (or was for 4 episodes), but it seems that it has got a certain formula to how it does funny or presents the characters, or how it makes them ridiculous for laughs and that it has decided to just repeat this (many, many times) for 8 episodes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that as we go past the half-way point, with character growth and change about to happen, this will abate and disappear.

Subtle, this show is not, however there is relief from the OTT humiliations, cruelty and repeated physical comedy at poor Bo Young's expense, from some backstories and views of the other side of our characters. Still none of the secondary characters (besides Ye) have won me over yet. Some are slightly more relatable than others, but none (except at time Yoon Joo), have yet had a chance to make up for their unconscionable meanness towards Bo Young by being sincerely nice to her.

What I want to see is Bo Young being able to stand up to all the intrusive taunts and teasing, able to think for herself in relationships and not to the ill-advised sunbae Yoon Joo who tries to fill her head with unsolicited and unproven relationship views, and be able to continue to stand on her own even if the ship with Ye and with Min Ho both don't sail. I know a rom-com will not go there, but the RL possibility is this, and how the good girl gets past this without losing her sweetness will be a great show to watch as well.

To Bo Young I say: 'You don't need anyone girl! You're wonderful as you are and wonderful for remaining so good despite all the put downs.' πŸ˜‰

And yay for Dr Ye!! A breath of fresh air, who can see and think outside the norm, with integrity and sincerity at the ready. Seeing him warm up and smile is a treat! πŸ˜‹

And oh... the poems are lovely!! They make my day as well!!! 😍

This show is definitely not without its flaws, and I've got to say it nearly lost me in the first half of ep.7 (behold my dismay) with the Dubai chaebol, and the parade of racist stereotypes it went on to showcase. Coupled with just how intentionally cruel the group was being to Bo-young, I almost lost it and had to quit the ep halfway and just go to bed in disgust. I meant it when I said I was a hair away from hating some of them. For example, Yoon-joo builds fires out of NOTHING but her own idle speculation, fans the flames, and then tosses Bo-young onto the fire and acts like she didn't instigate the entire thing. It drives me crazy that no one is calling her out for it.

As for the repetitiveness of the jokes, in this case, I rather enjoy it - the lowkey way in which it's delivered gives it the comfort of familiarity rather than as a self-conscious gag, but I can appreciate it won't suit everyone!