Open Thread #553

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone.

Something in the Rain – While I suppose the show ended on a happy note, I felt that none of the couple’s issues were resolved and that a future breakup was imminent. Sadly, given the storyline of this drama, by the time the ending credits rolled around, Jin Ah and Joon Hee were no longer a couple that I even cared about. I also found Jin Ah’s move to Jeju Island somewhat odd as it left the impression that Jin Ah’s missed and cared for her former co-worker more than she ever missed or cared about Joon Hee, which I’m sure was not the impression that the writer was striving for. However, the impression that I was left with was that Joon Hee cared a lot more for Jin Ah than she ever cared for him. While probably realistic, I also was disappointed that both Jin Ah and Joon Hee had moved on during their breakup, with Jin Ah entering into another serious relationship (one which was more to her mother’s liking and standards). Since I don’t see Jin Ah ever leaving Jeju Island to go to America with Joon Hee and I don’t see Joon Hee ever moving to Jeju Island, I expect that eventually both will just move on from their relationship. Overall, a very disappointing drama. Oh, and my other takeaway from this drama is to NEVER patronize Coffeebay as they support sexual harassment of female employees by male employees. Unfortunately, none of the sexual harassers suffered any negative consequences for their actions. Not the message I was looking for from this drama or its sponsor, Coffeebay.

My Husband Oh Jak Doo – While the show wrapped up nicely, I was disappointed with the reason that Seung Joo joined Jak Doo in the country-side as it seemed that she was running away from an unpleasant job more than her joining Jak Doo because she missed him. Overall, it was an OK drama but did think some of the storylines were ridiculous and several of the characters were unpleasant.

Wok of Love – I thought that the show finally hit its stride in episodes 9-12, with a less slapstick tone and a storyline that finally engaged my interest in Seo Poong/Sae Woo as the OTP. While I could do without the storylines relating to Seo Poong’s cheating ex-wife and his former place of employment, I am enjoying Seo Poong’s storylines with Sae Woo and Chil Song. I also like the twist that all of the new employees are related to Sae Woo, including her mother and her mother’s former workers. Looking forward to next week’s episode.

Something In the Rain I agree. Jin Ah did not handle the situation well at all. She just buried her head in the sand and ran away to Jeju. Nothing will be resolved. She is incapable of handling situations like an adult and I found it really frustrating. While I understand honoring your parents, there comes a time that you make decisions for yourself. I did not understand her constant lying to Joon Hee for the sake of "protecting" him. It really diminished his capacity as a partner to her. No good can come of that. Mom's apology in the street was such BS after all the hell she put everyone through. You can't love someone by controlling them. It doesn't seem like she really understood the consequences of her behavior. The sexual harassment was TOTALLY mishandled. I hate when writers present a societal issue, only to sweep it under the rug as a bygone plot point. They do more harm than good.

As it related to Mom's apology in the park, I also didn't buy it as it was totally against Mom's character and beliefs. Nothing was shown to us to support that Mom had changed in any way and the apology just felt like the writer trying to force a good resolution to the mother/daughter conflict. I expect if Mom thought Joon Ah was back in Jin Ah life she would be on the next flight to Jeju to throw another tantrum.

This makes me sad. I was so looking forward to it. It sounds like I might be slightly depressed if I watch it.
It's funny because it and My Ahjussi were two I was really excited for. I went in thinking both were going to be romances with a big age difference and wanted to see how each show portrayed the relationship with the genders switched.

You can always judge for yourself, really. Some of us have a different take on it so maybe you might end up with the minority.

We all love the fluffy part of it but then the obstacles and conflicts etc started and some finds it over the top and others finds it realistic.

I had high expectations because of PD Ahn and Son Ye-jin and neither one of them disappoint (maybe a little with PD Ahn) even with a less than perfect materials to work with.

As always with this PD's work, I still think about real life issues with family and culture long after the drama is over.
As always I find Korean culture to be fascinating even if I like some aspects of it or not.

I'm not much of a groupie when it comes to watching shows. I'm a bit of a loner with shows I like. I'm just kind of weird that way lol.

Please don't change!!!
I love hearing your opinions! It gives me a more balanced view and enriches my drama watching experience!!

Thank you!

It's not weird at all.

Just sounds as if there are elements to the show that I may become easily frustrated by, especially in my current mood.
However, it will probably be something I try in the future because I was so excited by it.

There has been well loved shows like My Girl that I found to just be ok. Then shows like Healer where I totally get the hype.

I am so glad I finally get to talk about this drama! without worrying about spoilers! LOL!

I have such a different take on this from all of you. I think both JN and JH were both very human and behaved very much like two people in love.

JH basically dumped JN by leaving for America. He made that decision without ever talking to her. Kudos to her for deciding to be independent. He was pretty paternalistic to her overall, nice and loving, but his occasional patronization to her would have pissed me off. Also, he lied to her as much as she lied to him.

I liked that she kept her own apartment, stayed independent, and stood up to her parents in a mature way. She stood her ground without getting angry. She made it clear she wasn't interested in marriage and would do her own thing. And she also made it clear why. She didn't apologize or hide about that. And she would have kept seeing JH if he had stuck around.

I loved that she said all that to him also. When she got mad at him, I was like, you go girl!!! He really deserved to hear that. He had no right to be mad at her. I thought her maturity shined through, whereas he behaved like a pouty boy.

I thought moving to Jeju Island was also a step toward her independence. It made total sense to me.

I did think that the whole last 2 ep where he left, they broke up and then how they got back together was a bit contrived. It was kind of a cop out to create some conflict and resolution. Him leaving seemed very out of character. I think the writer could have done better on that.

But overall, I liked the characters, I liked the story, I liked the pacing, and yes, I even liked the music. I didn't like the mom personally, but as a character in a drama, she filled an interesting role. I don't have to like all characters, as long as they work in the story.

So I give a big thumbs up to this drama.

Re: something in the rain. I had to force myself to finish this, since I felt I had invested so much time already. I have one word to describe Jin-ah - TSTL.

My ultimate thought on Something in the Rain boiled down to:

When I finished watching Witch's Court I remember thinking if this had been touted as a legal drama with the barest attention paid to romance. I would have watched (or not watched it I'm a romcom girl) with that expectation in mind. Going in thinking it was a romance with a legal backdrop instead of a legal drama with a very light sprinkling of romance? I was disappointed all the time.

Something in the Rain is the same. Yes. Its a Noona Romance. But, the romance is with Jin-Ah. Yes, she fell in love ith Joon-Hee but the important part of the story--the story that they focused on--was that by Jin-Ah falling in love with Joon-Hee she fell in love with herself.Or the version of herself that she could be with him. She found a version of herself that could stand up to her parents, at work, to her friends. She found a version of herself that could be independent. And she loved that part of herself more than she loved him. She put that part of herself above her relationship with him. I'm not mad at her. That is an awesome discovery to make about yourself. But, if they had sold the drama as a drama about a woman coming into her own independence through a romance with a younger man instead of saying that the drama was about the romance with the younger man then I wouldn't have been so disappointed. They could have kept their stupid tacked on ending that was only there so that they could have a "happy" ending without anything being resolved. They could have ended the drama with it being a drama about a woman who realized that there was something more important to her than romantic love--loving herself and that would have been awesome (although I probably wouldn't have watched it because--romcom girl).

I agree completely!

Hi I am looking to watch dramas that are Realistic and address love between a couple. Please so not recommend rom-com dramas. I want mature loved based dramas. Example que que sera.

Korean or non korean please. Thanks

I gave an accidental shot to Miss Hammurabi this week, and it surprised me how much I liked it.
Of course, I wish Go Hara would pronounce more like a normal person and less than an idol girl (whoever follows idol girl groups knows that they talk very cutely), but her acting was very good.
Also this is my first drama with Go Hara and L, so I'm impressed with both.

Watching also Japanese drama Date, and I kind of like the main characters even though I would dislike them in real life. Especially the man character.

Also this week, I discovered that my poor baby Daesung had been in the hospital for laryngitis, which worried me a ton since I love him and his voice has been having problems. K-netz and some "clever" international trolls tried to make it look like he wanted to avoid the military, despite the fact that his hospitalization was made public after he went back in service, but then why should I be surprised.
I just wish he would finish safely :(

Date was so good! I would love the main characters in real life as well, maybe they will get to you later. If you finish don't forget to watch the special because it's the proper ending to the show.

I also started the show with the intention of dropping it in 1st week but i'm interested now because of 2 reasons -
1. adapted from novel - I had expectation that it will be above average korean drama because source content is literature. I don't have good opinion of kdrama writers so i was a bit apprehensive too.
2. Poster - Main poster outlines the story ans characters quite well.

Go Ara's character irked me many times but i'm ready to tolerate her for 1 more week.

after GD's surgery news and DS's hospitalization news and the ensuing K-net troll comments,I couldn't help but say "please be healthy and finish in active service if possible."

Me too.
I was very worried for Ji too, but his surgery should've been done since 2013. Stupid YG and his money obsession :(

Date is the best, whacky but well done. I wonder if you will still feel the same about the lead male character at the end . .

Pleasantly surprised by Miss Hammurabi as well. It doesn’t hurt that Kim Myungsoo is easy on the eyes.

Have had several dramas end, My Ajusshi, Live, Poetry, Noona.
Latest dramas are ok, nothing special.

Watching Hug Me and Wok of Love.
Wife is watching Secret Mom, Hummurabi, Rich Man, Poor Woman
C drama Sot3K: Probably my favorite
C drama Moonshine & Valentine
Finished J drama Partner in Darkness
Hindi movie Padmavat
J movie Harmonium

I started cdrama Moonshine and Valentine, too! Does your wife like it?

She says it’s ok.

Watched 3 episodes of J drama Miss Sherlock.

John you tried MIX or Kusuo Saiki or Asahinagu?

I should start Yoo Na's Street now.

I love "Yoona's Street!" A very different slice of life drama.
Kim Ok-bin is love!

I just saw 'Children of the Lesser God" on Netflix so I'm going to marathon the heck out of it this weekend.

i'm stuck at episode 37.

I also feel bad because there were times when i skipped few scenes of side characters. Yoo N'a Street is one rare kdrama i respect.

I'm also waiting for Children's subs.

I love Yoona’s Street too. KOB is great as Yoona with a warm heart under the cold exterior but it’s the ensemble cast that made me fall for this drama.

Anyone watching Children of Lesser God? Verdict? Haven’t seen KJH for a long while although watched not long ago KOB’s excellent Villainess

For me, Children of Lesser God is an okay drama. It is a kind of drama that I have to watch in one go, because I can't handle the suspense. Hahaha. If you like thriller supernatural fantasy romance drama, this one is for you. It might not be perfect, but I didn't regret spending time watching this drama. During the time I watched the drama, the subtitle was a mess, but I think it might be fine now. For a better verdict, try watching a few episodes. It started getting fun when both leads starting working together.

CHILDREN in still not available on Netflix USA as far as I can tell. Maybe another reason to get VPN.

I’ll give MIX and Asahinagu a try.

Hi Everyone! I hope you are all doing well today!

To all the Beanies in the U.S., wishing you a great Memorial Day weekend.

Managed to check out two new shows! With the new batch of shows starting, I want to check them all out but with the perennial time issues, that's next to impossible. ...... That doesn't mean I won't try though!

This week:

Suits - Continuing to enjoy this show and everyone in it. Things are getting complicated and our male leads may find themselves fighting against situations they wanted to avoid.

Switch - With each passing episode, I hope more and more that villain Geum Tae-woong's right-hand man, Manager Kim, does something to help bring down the villain. But he's done nothing, even though he always looks like he's kind of thinking about it. With three episodes left to watch, let's see what happens.

Greasy Melo (Wok of Love) - After two episodes watched, I totally love this! As fellow Beanies have mentioned, it's funny with serious moments and just the right amount of wacky.

Lawless Lawyer - Managed to watch episode 1 and I liked it! I want to continue watching this, but we'll see. That judge though, so utterly awful as he spewed those statements about a victim of domestic violence!

That's all for now. ...... Take care everyone and have a great Friday!

There is nothing new in Lawless Lawyer.
There not necessarily any need of something new, refreshing, Innovative or unique It just has some upgrade in characters personalities. Still it is good entertainment. Rest of criticism in tomorrow's post.

When I saw Switch on your list I thought, "we're finally watching the same K-drama" but then I realized I'm watching Sketch, not Switch, haha. I'm also watching Miss Hammarubi and The Undateables (which is hilarious). Between the two of us, we cover twice the K-dramas, I guess!

The Undateables is the same K-drama as Handsome Guy and Jung Eum (double titles are confusing sometimes).

@owl22 Haha! Yes! Between the two of us we're covering a lot of ground! ...... I am curious about The Undateables/Handsome Guy so I'll be starting that one pretty soon. Then there's Sketch! Honestly, I had forgotten about that one! How is that one by the way?

Only the first ep is subbed, but I like Lee Sun Bin from Task Force 38, and then there's Rain . . .

I'm super behind. I need to finish My Ajusshi, A Poem a day, & Something in the rain. Luckily we have a three day weekend.

I joined other beanies to test out the Rabbit viewing platform. It was super fun!

Yes, it was really fun chatting in real time and watching together! Have a good three day weekend! I made mine a four day!!

Lucky! I'm jealous, have a good weekend.

Agreed. I'm super behind on dramas too and chatting in real time has been great! Can't wait for our Sunday drama time!

three-day weekends are the best for marathoning K-dramas!

So amidst the crop of new K-dramas I started watching a C Drama -- Moonshine & Valentines aka The Love Knot: His Excellency's First Love. It's basically My Love from the Star mashed up with Forbidden Love (the 2004 drama about a secret society of Gumihos). In this case, the premise is that aliens were the basis of the Gumiho/Kitsune/Hulijing legend and they arrived on earth a few thousand years ago; they still live amidst us in secret and have some supernatural powers but mostly immortality. The main character, played by Addicted's Johnny Huang, has been waiting for the current reincarnation of his One True Love. However, as a modern woman who already has a boyfriend, she's not particularly interested in this weird, clingy rich dude who pops up out of nowhere. One thing I like about this drama is the supporting cast. She has a best friend who when told about all this stuff takes it completely in stride. He has 2 helpers who have day jobs as plastic surgeons but somehow always have time to run around and be his driver and minions and they are SOOOOOOO CLOSE to each other that one of them convincingly acts gay to pry a rich lady client off the other one. TWIST! In the source material they're actually gay but thanks to China's regressive stance on all things gay they have to not explicitly say it. But still, for me, it's really nice to see some gay characters in any drama and especially complex, interesting ones.

This guy was very good in Addicted, I'll have to try this Moonshine just to find out if he is consistent. Also, I love gumihos. :)

Oh, he's (swOoOoOony) good!!

TWIST! In the source material they're actually gay

Really? Interesting. These two and her friend are actually my favorite part of the show, and though I know it won't happen, I wish they would become a polyamory group. The chemistry between the two men and the woman is great and for her to choose to be with just one of them seems wrong to me.

I was shipping the fox bros so hard when Kuan Young was retelling the tale of how he became a vegetarian. I really was hoping that there was a moving unrequited love plot line between them similar to Reply 1997.

Haha I am glad I wasnt the only one who thought of the polyamory possibility...I was tickled when the two of them had their arms around Xiao Ju in the club 😆 I am however not thrilled of it is going to be a full on love triangle between them. I really dug the bickering dynamic between XJ and Xiu Xian in the beginning and was sad that she seemed to be more taken by KY.

I actually like the BFF character soooo much more than Pipi...she would have been an awesome heroine.

No love triangle. I will hate that because those two men have intense chemistry, and it works with the girl too. I don't think a Chinese drama is going to do it though....a US network show would probably not do it either (especially with two men) which is a shame. Autonomous, consenting adults and all that jazz, should have all options on the table.

Thanks to @alessar I am glad to know that they are lovers in the original story. Even with the Chinese censorship the dialogue could have ended with KY’s silence rather than denial. Yeah I don’t think US basic cable networks would include a polyamorous relationship in their dramas.

I am tagging @hades since we had a similar conversation earlier.

I really hope it does not turn into a love triangle.

I feel EXACTLY the same way. It reminds me of Jealousy Incarnate where at one point the 2 dudes are both fighting over the same woman, yet one of the dudes is also asking the other guy to live with him and he'll even "be the wife and cook".

They even flirted for a bit with the threesome living together, but didn’t push it very far.

@alessar
Thank you for the reference to Moonshine and Valentines. I started this Saturday night and finally finished up to episode 12 last night. I know what you mean about those two plastic surgeons and the baker. I just love the three of them - especially when she took them to see Planet of the Apes and they were so enamored. But when Pipi called and she said "I'm the only human here" I had to chuckle.

Is there an original book this story came from? I thought I read it somewhere but can't seem to find any reference to it.
For a c-drama it is pretty good, except the opening sequence - FF! Lord Helan is quite swoony - but still it's the other three that I really love!
Thanks again for describing this - now I have to wait when the new episodes come out. Darn. I should have waited until it was all done so I didn't have to wait. ;-)

I just went looking for pics of this cute trio on Tumblr and found a short conversation about it. Apparently it is based on a book but I don't know the name. There was some reference made to bootleg untranslated scans of it and the Soompi forums but that's a dark and wild place I fear to tread.

LOL . The DB walls are places of light and civility, with just a tinge of wildness—-but almost always kind. I will occasionally peek in a Soompi thread but always scamper back here for safety.

+100000 agree!

Hi Beanies!

A question about the finale of My Ahjusshi.

Was it a romantic handshake? That lunch she was going to buy was just "friends catching up" lunch or "now that I'm a whole adult person we can explore our possible feelings" lunch? :)

I thought it was maybe a cop out scene, in order to please everyone, shippers and non shippers, and I was curious about what most of you, who loved the show, thought it meant.

You mean there are people who wanted a romance between that troubled young girl & the 35-ish guy? The moment in the drama I most appreciated was when he pushed her roughly away after the attempted kiss & said, almost pleadingly, "Don't do that!"

I always felt despite the age gap, once JA got over her problematic past and grew up and became a proper adult, romance was a possibility for them. There were signs from DH in the last eps she wasn't just a friend to him. But I was ok with either choice, as long as they didn't have any romance while she had just a puppy love and he knew how unbalanced this relationship would have been, because that would be out of character for him. Since they didn't do it, it was ok, but I wanted more explanation about their current feelings after that future lunch meeting.

I don't think it was a cop out scene. Instead I see it as an open ending, and for myself, I see it as a beginning for them to get to know each other again. I know some people wanted out and out romance explicitly stated, and others don't want it at all due to the age difference, but I thought the handshake, and the smiles were a really smart way to end the series. For once this is a time skip that made sense because Ji-an needed to build a life of her own, and Dong-hoon needed to rebuild his life. They were deeply emotionally messed up people, and if they had become a couple before healing psychologically, Ji-an probably would have become dependent on Dong-hoon in a way that would have been a burden to both of them. She needed to just be Ji-an for a time. A Ji-an who was not beholden to a debt and an abusive past, and by doing so in Busan she could really begin finding out who she is. Dong-hoon also needed to start over, albeit in a different way. This way, when they meet again, they are on equal footing and can, if they choose, build from there. And my interpretation of the ending scene is that this is what the writer and director are implying.

Yes the time skip was very necessary for both of them but the extreme open endness I think not so much. Like I said above, any romance before she became a real stable person would be out of character for him to accept. I don't have anything against open endings just not sure if it fits in this show. After 16 eps I think I'd have preferred to just know for sure if they remained friends of if there was more than that after that meeting. Their relationship was the main story after all, how they both helped and changed each other.

I am glad we have that time skip. That way, I can imagine them to be together when they see each other again. If the writer didn't write that scenario, I probably would be having a hard time imagining them together, because as you said, both of them are going to be a burden to each other. But now they have find their way, their relationship can become more than that, and we can see during the last scene. They are in a new place, with new resolution and strength. I am fluttered even thinking about what they might become ^^

I guess the viewers want to see what they want to see from the handshake. But they are free from their past so they are free to date. The scene is awkward instead of opening their arms and embrace each other. But again they are not that kind of people who shows their affection in public. They bumped each other out of blue so they must have been very surprised but they do not want to show their surprise and excitement( though DH was) to each other. They are socially awkward in a way. So I thought that the handshake is fine with them.
The consensus tells that the viewers do not favor them as a couple due to their age gap so i figured that the drama shows things that viewers can interpret whatever they want to believe. But again I love to know why they are uncomfortable with love story between an old man and a young woman? Love can exist among those in real life. It`s just plain prejudice.

From what I read, the prejudice was very strong in the beginning but less so in the end, even in South Korea. The unlikely chemistry between LSK and IU somehow worked marvelously at tugging the heart.

I thought the scene itself was fine, realistic and true to their characters. I don't think koreans embrace much in public and never in JA and DH situations. I just wanted more because I think it would have been more in tone with the rest of the show to explain their future relationship.

>so i figured that the drama shows things that viewers can interpret whatever they want to believe.

IF that was the intention, that's a cop out I guess.

There really are many who see signs planted everywhere pointing to a romantic end, and there are many who like to think their connection is a pure platonic love. The signs are unmistakable, but not seeing them or even not interpreting them in a romantic way does not in anyway detract from enjoying the show. I firmly believe the writer and director had romance in mind, but due to Korean audience' strong sentiment before the show even aired, they had to mute the romance angle and resort to clever clues. And yes, there is a large number of the viewing audience who have no problem for these two healed characters to pursue a romantic relationship at the END of the series.

I happened to encounter one very interesting interpretation a posted at soompi forum which I very much agree with. May be you can check it out and see if you view the ending the same way. (Posted by Mujay)

Thanks for the link, I do agree the signs for romance were there. For me in the last 3 eps DH's emotions subtly change toward her. I agree about that second YES she says but I dislike the wife being there in that picture and disagree with the post about it's meaning, why not have just a picture of the son? It seems it's there just for the non shippers. While many other signs are there to support the future romance theory.

I saw it as a refreshing place where they find themselves - bumping into each other and being able to shake hands and see that the other is doing well for real.

I will get straight to the controversial topic.

Seo Poong's ex-wife had pregnancy and abortion without his knowledge. This directly goes into territory of women's rights as well as abortion rights.
This week we also had well popularsied Irish abortion referendum.

I won't defend Seo Poong's wife like someone did on Soompi. But i also can't come up with good logic to either criticize or defend her actions.
Whatya all think about this whole rights issue?

I know right. That was not a choice between what is good and bad, but what is bad and worse. I kind of wondering if it better for her to keep the baby or abort the baby. But honestly, if i know someone like her, i'll just say to giving birth the baby. Aborting the baby more like running from your mistake an being irresponsible. And we know the putcome of irresponsibility is more mess and more pain.

The only thing i could think of was - Why you got pregnant? Why not use protective measures?
There should be a consensus between husband-wife whether they want kids or not.
Would you divorce your husband/wife if they don't want kids?
Giving Birth is too huge a decision
Abortion is steep short cut.
You are right it was clear case of bad vs. worse.

But i'm supporting Irish abortion referendum

That what was first thing i thought as well. The mistake had been made, why you made that mistake at the first place? What comes after, whatever is your choice is will contains only more pain and suffering.

@stranger Wise,

"The mistake had been made, why you made that mistake at the first place?"

It could easily have been contraceptive failure -- or extremely high fertility. It happened to a friend of mine who had gone to great effort to avoid becoming pregnant (aside from joining a nunnery). ;-)

I thought the whole issue was just a plot device to make Seo Poong finally give up on his wife since we saw that her cheating didn't cause him to do so. I don't think that this drama has any plans to explore this issue in any meaningful way. As we also saw, the drama also created reasons for Sae Woo to finally agree to divorce her husband. Thus solving the problem of the 2 leads being married to others.

My problem with it was not the abortion itself. I’m neither pro nor anti abortion. I don’t like the idea but I do admit they’re cases where abortion is the best option. Don’t let’s get into that. My problem was her not telling him. It’s her body and her right but the kid was as much his as hers. That was cruel. Even if she’d end up getting the abortion, she owed it to him to at least let him know. I also think it a was just a plot device to finally help seo poong get over her.

@tazmania @iampilgrim it certainly was short cut from writer. He/she literally showed middle finger to that side character ex-wife. I thought it would have made a compelling experience of life for Seo Poong but i don't think writer has any intention to dwell into it.
I completely agree with you on that ex-wife had to tell Seo Poong and then she would have avoided the sham marriage altogether. That's why i mentioned above that i am struggling to come up with a logic to make a sense out of whole issue.

I was horrified that she hadn't told him, and then left the sonogram in a book . The heartlessness was over the top.

I, too, interpreted the scenario as a sure-fire way of convincing Poong to give up on his ex.

A baby is a responsibility. It's not a moral issue or a sin or a revenge.
If she is not sure she can raise the child and love him, why would she give birth? Love and morality are all good and fine, but a kid growing up without love or stability or money does not deserve to suffer that only cause a bunch of strangers decided that he should be born and also that he's a divorced couple's child, therefore lower than them.

Children need to be loved and wanted. An unwanted child feels the lack of love immediately and has issues later on.

It has been a while since I last watch C-drama. Reading Beanies recommendation in WWW thread, I started watching Moonshine and Valentine (Love Knot: The Excellency's First Love). This drama really has intriguing plot, I think someone already posted the outline above. Jumping into this drama without prior knowledge, I thought I will be less bias. But then Victoria came in the scene and I knew it then, I will probably watch it for her even if the drama turns out to be a mess. Not that I have watched her before, but watching a familiar face did helped me feeling settled. Hahaha. Couldn't explain how it works, but that's that.

However, I have a little bit complain about the female characterization of the heroine. Since episode one, I feel like the female lead is the typical damsel in distress type, which lessens the excitement a little bit. Not that I will stop watching since I am halfway through it anyway, and each episode takes only around 40 minutes, so I can spare a little bit time watching something....easy? (for lack of better term). I do wish we have something to root for the heroine. She is a kind girl, but the drama doesn't show much of that strength of her. There are times when I wonder why I root for her to be with the guy when he is better left with the other girl which is far more smarter and richer than her. For now, I root for her just because she was so lovely in her first life (assuming that the time when they introduced the young counterparts was her first life) and she is supposed to be his first love forever.

However, I read somewhere (I think in Soompi) that in the drama, whenever the female lead falls in love with the male lead, she will die. She will be reincarnated over and over again, and he will find her and they will fall in love over and over again, hence the title. Someone pointed out that it was selfish of him to make her falling in love with him, since she will die....again. When I read that, I have become a little bit apprehensive since that wasn't something I expected, considering the guy has been protecting her ever since he saw her again.

But I guess, I have to wait how this drama plays out. I haven't seen the leads projects before, but I am so loving their chemistry. Victoria is not that bad. She seems natural in it, and by the look of the drama's behind the scene, they have pretty fun time together.

Okay, I have no idea I would rant this long about this drama. Overall is an okay-ish drama, something easy to watch. Plus, this reincarnation theme is interesting to watch. Makes me wonder if the guy truly loves the girl, of is it because she is his first love's reincarnation, so no matter what he must love her.

>Makes me wonder if the guy truly loves the girl, of is it because she is his first love's reincarnation, so no matter what he must love her.

Yes. These reincarnation love stories NEVER ask that question do they? It's like a new society and family, a whole new background wouldn't change someone's character, they are forever destined to be reincarnated with the exact SAME personality. Same face too so the other half can easily find them. Can you believe even if I said all that I still always root for the writers to pull that cliche off somehow? I mean if they make that choice there must be a way to do it right. So far my favorite is that version in which the OTP just basically comes back together as new people, new faces, without any past memories, and fall in love again because they are meant to be good for each other.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly (English is not my first language, so sorry if I misunderstood). Basically you wanted the story of these two leads reincarnated, with everything is different from their past lives, and if it meant to be, they will find their way. Am I correct?

If that so, I think it will be less appealing to me (I mean in the context of this drama), since the guy outlives the girl for many reincarnations, and yet he keeps looking for the same girl. That one itself is interesting theme to explore (you might disagree with me, but that is the fun of discussion). I would love to have that question to be explored by the writer, by the look of it we still have time to get the answer (I hope so!).

If that isn't what you meant, would you mind elaborate further?

Yes, English is not my first language either so I probably didn't explain very well but you are correct. I wasn't really talking about this show tough, I haven't even started it yet. It was more about any kdrama reincarnation love story, the most recent ones must be Goblin and Legend of the Blue Sea. Maybe in the next OT I can talk more about Valentine and discuss if this guy is being selfish or not. Or maybe that's not really a problem for alien foxes? Did I get that right, they are all aliens? :)

I see. I haven't watch Legend of The Blue See so I can't comment much. But Goblin on the other hand has interesting reincarnation plot to explore (too bad they didn't). I can get behind reincarnation story in Goblin because she is still Ji Eun Tak despite the name change and being born again, because she has her previous life's memory. The only problem I have is that they have to make her too young for the goblin. Oh well...it is in the past 😅

For Moonshine and Valentine, I take it this way. Yes, the heroine has different life from her first reincarnation. She also has different personality. But since she has been dreaming about her first reincarnation, I take it as there is an essence of her first life in her. She is different yet the same person as she previously was. Basically, she is still the same person, but due to being born in different generation, hence the different personality.

Take it like this, imagine the heroine gotten an amnesia (in the middle of the story), because of that she has no recollection of her memory about her loved ones. So this is the journey to make her fall for him again. Not sure if I am making any sense, but as for me once I change my way of thinking, I can get behind this drama.

Yes...he is an alien. Fox alien that looks like a human.

I'm not watching Moonshine and Valentine, but I also have this issue with romance in reincarnation stories: "if the guy truly loves the girl, of is it because she is his first love's reincarnation". EXACTLY. I think CHICAGO TYPEWRITER asked and addressed this question better than most dramas.

I wondered too if he really loves the current reincarnation of her or just thinks of her as essentially the same person every time because she looks the same, which is not right. She isn’t the same person as the original, having lived a competely different life. Even if she has some of the same character traits, she is still an individual. Chinese dramas rarely get into the layers of a character, so we will have to fill in the outline with our imagination.
Victoria has improved a lot since her first drama in which her acting range involved various degrees of pouting.
I hope for at least an implied menage a trois between the friend and the foxy boys, though i suppose there is always fan fiction.

I heard this is a web drama so we might not be able to get answer that we are looking for. But I also read somewhere that she might call him out on this matter, that despite looking exactly like his first love, they are different individuals. So I guess we will have to wait and see. If by the end of the drama they didn't touch on this matter, I might have to come up with my own explanation (I hope we won't get here)

I read this post a couple of days ago and was so intrigued by all the comments here and elsewhere that I decided to try it out. Lo and behold I got sucked in and finished all 12 episodes.
My theory for Pipis meek and insecure personality is that she will become more secure and stronger as the show goes on.
Otherwise, her willingness to drink whatever strangers put in front her is going to make it harder for me to watch.

I haven't seen Victoria in anything else and so I have nothing to compare her with, so that is what I'm thinking about her weak acting - is that she is supposed to be a weak character right now. But as she comes to love Lord Helan, then maybe she will grow more confident - right?
Anyway - I'm enjoying it so far! Thanks for all the comments from Beanies I always find a new show to check out!

I am glad you are enjoying Moonshine and Valentine like the rest of us. This drama certainly has its charm that many of us cannot not watching it.

I hope Pipi's characterization will be as you said because I do want our female lead to be able to stand on her own and at least have something for us to root for. I have no qualm on Victoria's acting since she did well despite the not so good writing on her character. I just wish we will be able to see her improves especially on her self-esteem. For that...we have to wait and see. For now, I am glad we are past the cheating boyfriend arc, and now let's all enjoy the sweetness of Helan's love toward Pipi 😍

Mistress is the only drama that I can get into at the moment, I just finished epi 5. I think PD's work could have been better in some parts but overall, it's still good.The storyline is intriguing, and with just 12 epi, it's just nice. Han Gain still has limited expressions and the weakest link among casts, Choi Hee-seo would have been more engaging in her role - she won 5 awards recently (Best New Actress & Best Actress including Baeksang) for just one role in Anarchist from Colony so it really means a lot. But the rest of the casts are convincing enough in their roles.

Opps I guess it helps to read everything :).

Yes I'm loving Mistress. I've reached up to ep 8 and the revelations are incredible. The suspense and mystery is so well put together! 💖

Somehow hopped onto Come Here and Hug me ep 7 and 8. It took me by surprise. It was such a good watch. Between JBL, My Ahjusshi and this, kdrama writers and producers have finally understood how to make "healing dramas". Moreover in all of these shows, the overall ambiance was so calm and the mood just right. It was so hard to watch nice guy and jung eum as I had totally forgotten that kdrama actors tend to scream and overact.

After live and my ahjussi ended, not much dramas make me interested. That 2 show leave a deep impression to me and it seems like other dramas were like toys compared to them (i cant help but compare). Its like you already tasted the best noodle in town, and tomorrow all you have is instant noodle. Still yum but in different level. I picked wok of love (it is going more interesting) , and come and hug me ( this one better than i expected, so im quite happy about this one). Miss hammurabi is interesting as well but im not sure going to pick it, lawless lawyer was so-so, i dropped it at half of ep 2. I dont watch the rest. What drama makes you feel less interested to other dramas after it ended?

I had a hard time moving on from Just Between Lovers. It was close to perfect. I haven't watched Live yet, but My Ahjusshi was also amazing and another one that I agree it's hard to let go.

I used to check Dramabeans everyday and get updated on latest news about dramaland. But in recent months, there are no frequent updates and so few recaps. Even if there is a recap, it is mostly just an open thread or something. I'm sorely disappointed in dramabeans nowadays. Since they have added the video content and more ads, i guess their focus has changed. Girlfriday and javabeans rarely make an appearance recently. I now no longer check the blog everyday. But since i have been a follower for years and I enjoy reading all the witty posts, I still feel the longing to check for new posts, only to be disappointed. Does anyone else feel the same way about this ?

tbh i was wondering what happened to the news section, i really enjoyed those and engaging in there about new shows coming up, teaser etc. idk maybe they have just gotten really busy however i wont lie, the site has become less engaging because of everything you have mentioned but

Agreed. With so many shows out, it’s surprising the limited number of recaps. DB used to be, at least for me, the equivalent of Television Without Pity: Kdrama edition. That’s what made it so popular. Now it’s kind of...blah.

It's a full time job to keep this kind of site running and it has been over 10yrs.
I think they are just burnout.

I miss the old DB terribly. I loved the witty way JB and GF wrote casting news and updates, and the way readers reacted by writing in the comments section. This site used to be staff-driven instead of readers-driven like it is nowadays. I accept that it is what it is, but it does make me sad to realize that things will not be like before. I used to think this was temporary, but it doesn't seem like it. @javabeans and @girlfriday, I miss you. There are NO other sites out there that could write Korean entertainment news like this site used to do.

Drunk Sae Woo is so cute with all her winks and gestures!

Hi beanies,

Happy Friday!

I'm jetsetting to Madrid today, followed by Budapest, Vienna and Prague for two weeks. Hubby and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary so it's gonna be romantic, lol.

Happy Memorial long weekend for those in the U.S.!

Agree with Choi Jin-Woong: ‘Live’ and ‘My Ajusshi’ are worthy of devotion. Really sublime storytelling and excellent directing, acting, lighting, everything. Glad Netflix acquired ‘Live’ so I could pace my melancholy. Also, am now low-key obsessed with Bae (heh heh) Sung-Woo. Hopefully, both shows will get showered with praise come awards season.

On the fence with Wok of Love. Poong and Sae Woo aren’t doing it for me. There’s 1000x the chemistry between her and Chil Soo, and I’m suffering every time Thug Ajusshi takes off his sunglasses to pine over Sae Woo. If Jang Hyuk isn’t a second-lead, why does this pain feel like SLS? 😭

Watching:

‘About Time’: LSK/LSY surprised me. LSK can do anything, but LSY brought the humor and looks great alongside LSK. Delighted with the pairing and the fantasy is actually pretty good. Loved that surprise and all its implications at the end of episode 2. Most definitely will end up sniffling.

‘The Undateables’: 💗 💗 💗 Hwang Jung-Eum, 💕 Namgoong Min. Pretty sure it will be ignored by DB (as evidenced by its exclusion from the most recent Premiere Watch post), which is a shame. It’s fun, and HJE and CTJ did an adorable poopy dance and it’s quirky and weird and not sad (yet). Plus, the leads have amazing chemistry. The romance will be spicy. Can’t. Wait.

Anticipating: ‘What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim’, ‘Are You Human?’, and ‘Life’.

JTBC, tvN, and OCN should make like MBC/SBS/KBS and launch a streaming platform. They would make buku money.

I feel your pain.

One of my professors once said of his summer reading, “Look, I don’t read Ibsen on the beach. I read murder mysteries. It’s summer.” As my part of the States lurches towards mosquito season, I'm happy to sample the recent wackier premieres.

I think I’d enjoy Wok of Love more if I could be neutral towards the love triangle. But how can we when Jang Hyuk’s Chil-soo is an irresistible force of nature? JH's work was unknown to me before WOL—now I’m creating imaginary Pinterest boards devoted to his underbite, soulful eyes and extraordinary physique. I also marathoned Fated to Love You by reading the entire DB recap paired with watching about six hours of the juiciest episodes. That crazy cackle! *sigh*

Would a polyamorous unit (per @egad’s suggestion for Moonshine and Valentine) cure my SLS? Poong in the kitchen and Chil-soo in the bedroom? Oh, forget it—Chil-soo everywhere. He looks trainable and I’m sure could become a very good cook.

Also caught The Undateables which was totally under the radar for me. Namgoong Min is a chameleon; I can’t recognize him from one role to the next but his silky voice is unmistakable. This show might even be wackier than Wok of Love!

"H's work was unknown to me before WOL—now I’m creating imaginary Pinterest boards devoted to his underbite, soulful eyes and extraordinary physique."

What are you doing not watching Chuno yet? :-))

It's on my list! :D

If I didn't have to read subtitles, I'd be consuming all the dramas, all the time!

Just saying because Chuno is Jang Hyuk being hot, tormented, badass and semi-shirtless 10x compared to all his other roles. :-))

@tsutsuloo,

ROFLMAO!!! Or one could implement Time Sharing Option. ;-)

Jang Hyuk is going to cause me to dislocate something. Or I'll expire from lack of oxygen. Between him and Buster, I'm having a blast. I feel a "Galloping Gourmet" joke coming on. Jo Jae-yun replicating Cheetah's signature snoring from MAD DOG was hilarious. The only thing that could top it would be a cameo by Woo Do-hwan as Jan Gebauer.

At first all the screeching in THE UNDATEABLES turned me off somewhat. By episode 4 when I realized just who the Undateables are, and how each is somehow going to get matched, if not hitched, to a compatible potential mate, my funny bone took a direct hit. I was especially taken by the farmer-poet and the overly-realistic stuntman -- and truly felt for the face-blind chocolatier. I had watched the first 4 eps. raw, but the dialogue flies fast and furious. I don't understand more than a handful of Korean words. This is one show that demands accurate subtitles. Otherwise the screwball comedy will have a screw loose. Cognitive dissonance is part of the charm. Or maybe it's sensory overload, what with NGM's wonderful, soothing voice. He is so so doggone deadpan it just kills me. I love it. If Show can cool it with the shrieking and the OTT slapstick, it will nicely complement WOK OF LOVE, which I am also enjoying to bits.

As far as humor is concerned, I found myself laughing aloud during the premiere episodes of MISS HAMMURABI, too. Her response to complaints about her overly-bright clothing with miniskirt cracked me up. I loved it. I like the tone of the show.

Speaking of Jo Jae-yun, I lurve his silver hair. I watched him in Black while he when simultaneously starring in Mad Dog. Paired with a youthful face, it's a great signature look.

I live-watched both shows, and enjoyed them both -- at least until BLACK deep-sixed itself with that ending. Too bad, because it may have been Song Seung-heon's best performance ever. MAD DOG was a better show, although BLACK did have its moments.

Ex-con Nurse Cheetah worked as an insurance fraud investigator and also moonlighted as a Joseon grim reaper. Currently, he's an ex-con/loan shark moonlighting as a Chinese cook (or will be soon). His Billy Idol look is fetching. ;-)

Nope, no polyamory here. Chil-soo wins the girl all by himself because he is not a sharer.

Chef Poong will get his revenge, and then will be scouted by a travel channel to go eat and cook his way around the world so everyone can bask in the glow of his poreless skin and marvel at how well he eats.

Though, that scene where Chil-soo, Poong, and Sae-woo were all sleeping on the one bed does make me pause....

My only change in that sandwich is putting Chil-soo in the middle. In my family, we call group hugs "sammiches." Our tween always wants to be the "lunchmeat."

It just occurred to me that if Chil-sung ends up with Sae-woo, he'll also get Buster as his brother-in-law in the bargain. I can't wait to hear Buster's opinion of the life-size plastic horse in Chil-sung's office. It's classier than Mawang's charging bull in HWAYUGI, and there are no horns on which the unsuspecting could gore themselves.

After exacting revenge on Chef Wang and his horrid boss at Giant Hotel, Chef Poong will cross paths with food blogger extraordinaire Koo Dae-young. Together they will open an eatery on Jejudo along with a hallabong orchard.

At least that plastic horse doesn't have a lamp coming out of his head like the one I've seen in a couple of other dramas.
yegads.
I ship Buster and the plastic horse!

The WOL cast is fabulous! I've missed Jang Hyuk (seriously, where has he been? It's felt like eons since I've seen him in anything new), and his crazy cackle would just start in this show and STOP THERE. Noooooo! I'm waiting for the cackling; I think it will make my day when he can laugh like a crazy person.

I feel you, I want to hear his full laugh but the show wouldn't let him

The Laugh would scare the horses, causing Buster to bolt into the next province. ;-)

*jumps up and down and waves to @rentenmann*

Long time, no see, Chingu! I've missed you. ;-)

I've also missed seeing Jang Hyuk in a good, goofy comedy, too. His most recent shows that I've live-watched are BEAUTIFUL MIND, VOICE, and MONEY FLOWER.

To tide you over until he cuts loose with The Laugh:

*waves furiously back with a crazy grin* @pakalanapikake, good to see you, too! I went back to work about six weeks ago and was figuring out what I wanted to do for a job (orthodontic assisting again; got it, and pretty satisfying to have purpose again) while watching dramas. I had this week off, and I started sooooo many dramas... How have you been? I've missed this site/community, too!

@rentenmann May 27, 2018 at 3:43 AM

Congrats on the new-ish job!

I've been watching Kdramas left and right, and have gravitated back to Open Thread from time to time. Usually try to drop by What We're Watching, too. ;-)

Enjoy your week off. It sounds as if you'll be able to pack in a lot of Kdramas. ;-)

The only K-drama I've tuned in for a while has been The Undateables and while it reminded me of She Was Pretty with all the screaming and slap-stick, the actors are great and have great chemistry with one another. I do like Hwang Jung Eum and I've just gotten used to her screeching after watching a few of her dramas. But it's Namgoong Min I absolutely love. He truly is a chameleon, and I've been following his dramas since discovering him in Remember: Sons' War. I hope The Undateables keeps up steam, as it has a nice ensemble of characters I do like right now.

Speaking of chameleons, I was shocked to discover that Namgoong Min was in one of the first sageuks I watched. He played the hero's antagonist in GU AM HEO JOON. The role couldn't be further from the one he's playing in THE UNDATEABLES.

im looking forward to why secretary kim? i just need a really good rom com that i can get into

Park Min Young has such a good track record of dramas, she picks solid projects so I have high hopes for Secretary Kim! I'm definitely excited!

Happy Friday Beanies!

Finally finished watching Hwayugi. I know I’m little late to this train but can I just rant a bit here. I mean what was that? I went in with such high expectations. It had Lee Seung Gi, Cha Seung Won and Hong sisters. Such great potential. Sigh. The bromance was alright even though it felt forced at times. The romance had no passion, no spark at all. It was torture watch Seung Gi and Oh Yeon Seo on screen. It all felt so forced. And don’t get me started on the PPL. It was atrocious. I mean selling ice-cream in the winter?! Come on, people!! And that scene with Jonathan and Seon Mi at the Mart where it was getting nice and emotional and then he hands her the energy bar. I almost threw my laptop out the window! So annoying. Also, the CGI was boring. The part where Ma Wang gets hit by the stars looked so funny. And the black dragon, so fake. They could have made it more realistic and grand. And the overall storyline and ending was so bland, that I was praying for it all to hurry up and end. What I did like was the zombie, but that too changed into evil priestess and didn’t even get a proper send-off. Sigh.

Fewh. Sorry about that. I was bottling it all up as I was watching and word-vomited it all here. Haha. Do let me know if you have a different opinion and why. I would love to look at it from a different point of view.

Dropped Something In The Rain. The awards picture fiasco kindda put a damper on it.

Currently watching Secret Forest (late again). Quite good. A bit slow but very interesting. I can’t quite figure out if the bad guys are bad guys. Or if the good guys are good guys. And that makes it really intriguing.

Also watching Busted. Fun, silly show. Love the guest appearances.

Can’t wait for Why Secretary Kim? Love the leads. Hope it’s good! Who else is excited?

Have a good weekend everyone!

The zombie.....

She was my favorite in Hwayugi. Buja Girl... <3 <3

Ahhhhhh Hwayugi. I'm still recovering from that mess.

I admire everyone's determination to finish this drama (those who weren't feeling it, that is, since I know many people loved it)
I dropped it on ep 6 since I thought it silly that I was forcing myself to continue.
Shame, really, since I loooove Cha Seung-won.

Ma Wang was the reason I kept watching Hwayugi to the bitter end. Chajumma was so much fun to watch! Too bad it fell apart, boo.

Hwayugi... I gave up around episode 12 because I'd started to skim the recaps here and learned about the mess that I was in for. Sigh.

I actually like Ice Cream in the Winter. I like ice cream all the time actually but I often crave it when it's cold. I also ate A LOT of ice cream whilst watching Hwayugi hahahaha
Anyway, t'was a mess indeed, but I knew it was gonna be a mess from pretty early on so I just braced myself for impact. (I ended up liking it wayyyyyy more than it deserved, that's for sure hahaha)

Happy Friday, everyone!!!!

Two and a half month ago, this was me in regard to the upcoming dramas (in priority order):

Pretty noona: 😀😏😜🙋🤗🙃🎆🎊🎉🎇
A poem a day: 🤔🙄🙂🙃

My Ajusshi: 😒😳🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

One month ago while watching these three dramas (in the order I started to watch):

A poem a day: 😍😜🙃😅😊🙋 "Long live, Ye line"!!!!

My Ajusshi: WOW!!!!! 😮 😍😍😍😍🎉

Pretty noona: 😒🤔😠😐

And now that the three shows are over (in the order I loved them most):

My Ajusshi: 😍😍😍😍😍😍🎇🎆🎆🎊🎊🎉🎉🎆🎊🎆🎆🎇😍😍😍😍🎇🎆🎊🎊🙋😄😊😃😃😃😃♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

A poem a day: 😍👫❤💙💚💛💜

Pretty noona: 💔 😡😒😒😒😖😭😫😠😠

Perfect, you spoke for me too!

Yes, now I am not watching anything, because I have ajusshi withdrawals... But I started reading again, so... It is all goood!☺😀😁😊🤓

When I saw Go Ara in Miss Hammurabi, my first reaction was "Boy, has she put on weight!" Then I immediately chided myself. Just recently, people were talking about how dangerously thin Lee Jun Ki is.

On screen, every pound you put on is magnified like 5 times. I have this impression that half of kpop idols have a eating disorder and it has afflicted some actors too. Kpop idols are like the reverse of foie gras ducks. I cringe whenever I see headers like "So-and-so reveals her secret diet!" Some actors have naturally fuller cheeks which I find cute but perhaps due to Koreans' obsession with V-shaped jawline, they have resorted to drastic diets or even worse plastic surgery. Uee looks a far cry from her Ojakgyo Brothers days. She was skeletal looking in Manhole. On a happier note, she seems to have put on a little weight in My Husband Oh Jak Doo.

Yes, I was not sure if I can continue to watch Lee Jun Ki's new drama because he is painfully thin. I kept thinking if he has eating disorder or seriously ill while watching the drama.

My guess is that he isn't ill nor already having an eating disorder. He might be on his way to one if his weight loss continues.

I don't follow him but I remembered people were complimenting him on his weight loss in Moon Lovers. There was also some beauty fad about sharp jawlines.

Good thing is he is 36 years old so I think he should know what he's doing. If he's 16, I'd be worried.

Even at first I noticed Go Ara had become a little chubbier but it makes her look cuter and as long as she's healthy and happy I'm fine with it. It also makes her look more homely and realistic for an empathic judge. I had reservations about her acting before but I'm loving Ms Hammurabi so far. Hoping it continues to exceed my expectations.

Whoever touched Lee Min Ho's jaw deserves a punch in the face, I don't care if he wanted, it was a sin, and to whoever complimented UEE's weight in Manhole, a face slap.

I watched the first ep of Miss H. Her eyes are beautiful.

They are!

Go Ara, Gong Seung-yeon, Lee Sung-kyung, and Lee Min-ki have such big uniquely light, golden-y eyes. I always see people ask if they’re wearing color contacts.

In Weightlifting I wondered occasionally if she had contacts, but I remembered when I was in HS seeing someone with almost golden eyes.
Because This is My First Life sometimes the light would hit his eyes perfectly. I have to watch him in something else to see if it was him or See Hee I liked so much, lol.

Whoever set up those shots in BTIMFL should get an award. Lee Min Ki's eyes are stunning.

I agree with @egads and I think those people should work on every project he ever does in the future. His eyes have always been gorgeous but they really knew how to frame them perfectly.

I always encourage people to watch more LMK! Se-hee is a great character but, generally speaking, he plays a lot of great characters. And he’s just good. He gets better and better with every project.

I rewatched Weightlifting Fairy recently and took SO many screenshots just of Lee Sung-kyung’s eyes. So pretty!

I've been lurking on this site for a while, but since I tend to prefer to binge watch completed shows instead of following new ones, I haven't really joined in discussions. But in the case of Lawless Lawyer, I couldn't bring myself to wait. I'm already obsessed. As someone has already commented, LL doesn't really bring anything new to the table as far as the story, script, and action sequences go. But there's just something about Lee Joon Gi's wildly charismatic portrayal of the titular character that has me hooked. I'd love to hear more people's thoughts, since this show doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention on most of the sites I frequent.

YAY! I was going to marathon it too but I couldn't resist starting.... 4 episodes in and I am hooked, obsessed, and dreaming about this show! I really wish we had recaps - an OT Weecap thread would be fine. DB OVERLOADS, WILL YOU HEAR OUR PLEA? *offers of subway sacrifices and noodle bowls*

Since we don't have a dedicated space for this drama, some of us are discussing it here (beware spoilers though): http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/02/lee-jun-ki-offered-tvn-legal-action-drama-lawless-attorney/

*Overlords... great, that won't help get any wishes granted.

***giggling at OVERLOADS***

I'll just offer up my embarrassment.

Better send out the Wichita Lineman.

Overlords might accept noodle bowls. Subway sacrifices are likely to be rejected.

Empty Subway wraps so they know we've eaten them as a sacrifice? They can have the noodles.

Hmmm. Well, there really was blood on the tracks in the Gisung subway...

Oh my goodness! My innocent offering of sandwiches was turned into human sacrifice by a difference of capitalisation. 😱

**backs away slowly from @pakalanapikake and @wishfultoki while they discuss sacrificial offerings to the overloads**